Mike Kafka (Philadelphia Eagles)
Seneca Wallace (Cleveland Browns)
Sage Rosenfels (Minnesota Vikings)
Kellen Clemens (St. Louis Rams)
Tom Brandestater (St. Louis Rams)
Curtis Painter (Baltimore Ravens)

An Open Letter to John Elway

Dear Mr. Elway,

Caleb Hanie is horrible -- please don't waste a roster spot on that steaming pile of rotten cabbage. Either roll with two quarterbacks on the roster, or pick up one of the above quarterbacks, please.

Your biggest fan,

BowlenBall

srphoenix
09-01-2012, 07:51 AM
How about Curtis Painter so Manning is comfortable with his usual clipboard holder

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Only Weber (headed to the PS) is realistic due to his familiarity with the offense (and Painter to a lesser extent)

If Manning goes down, our season is screwed regardless... we all know that. Pining over backup QBs is silly since we'll salvage what we can of the season with Brock no matter who is "#2" on the depth chart.

Pony Boy
09-01-2012, 07:55 AM
None, if they haven't been through training camp and know the new offense

lonestar
09-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Only Weber (headed to the PS) is realistic due to his familiarity with the offense (and Painter to a lesser extent)

If Manning goes down, our season is screwed regardless... we all know that. Pining over backup QBs is silly since we'll salvage what we can of the season with Brock no matter who is "#2" on the depth chart.

:thumbs:

Requiem
09-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Who the **** is Joshua Moore?

Smilin Assassin
09-01-2012, 08:05 AM
fwiw

Aftermath
09-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Lol all those guys you listed are terrible. I would take Brian Hoyer over him though ( not listed ).

TheChamp24
09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Josh Johnson (San Francisco 49ers)
Adam Weber (Denver Broncos)
Josh McCown (Chicago Bears)
Case Keenum (Houston Texans)
Mike Kafka (Philadelphia Eagles)
Seneca Wallace (Cleveland Browns)
Sage Rosenfels (Minnesota Vikings)
Kellen Clemens (St. Louis Rams)
Tom Brandestater (St. Louis Rams)
Curtis Painter (Baltimore Ravens)

Dear Mr. Elway,

Caleb Hanie is horrible -- please don't waste a roster spot on that steaming pile of rotten cabbage. Either roll with two quarterbacks on the roster, or pick up one of the above quarterbacks, please.

Your biggest fan,

BowlenBall

Weber - never played a meaningful snap in the NFL, completely unknown
McCown - was awful when he started years back, lol
Keenum - seriously? Rookie who hasn't played a meaningful snap in NFL
Kafka - another guy with no meaningful work in the NFL
Brandstater and Painter?

Holy freakin hell, stop worrying about the gosh damn backup QB this year folks. Manning will be healthy all year for us, and then Brock will be the backup guy next year.

bowtown
09-01-2012, 08:25 AM

This. There is a lot more that goes into choosing your backup QB than whether he is a great player on the field. The idea and hope is that he never even sees the field, so you also have to take into account his intelligence, his knowledge of the system and his chemistry with the starting veteran and the maturing rookie. We have all seen the kind of poison that can come out of a QB who is resentful of sitting or unable/unwilling to help the others on the team.

Of all the QBs listed above, bringing in any of them when Peyton goes down is going to be the end to the season. It just is, so all you can do is hope he doesn't and then emphasis and select your backup based on what you need from him off the field. If they believe Hanie is the best choice for that, then I'll buy it.

houghtam
09-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Hanie is terrible, but Rev is right. Manning goes down, Osweiler goes in. If not, we'll know he's worse than a lot of Broncos fans already think he is.

Honestly I would prefer getting rid of Hanie and just going with 2 QBs, but I say this every year.

Edit: And seriously? Case ***ing Keenum? Hilarious!

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Hanie is terrible, but Rev is right. Manning goes down, Osweiler goes in. If not, we'll know he's worse than a lot of Broncos fans already think he is.

Honestly I would prefer getting rid of Hanie and just going with 2 QBs, but I say this every year.

Edit: And seriously? Case ***ing Keenum? Hilarious!

Yes -- only because he's better than Caleb mother****ing Hanie.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted for truth -- but shouldn't a back-up quarterback have some modicum of upside?

What's silly is carrying someone on the roster who will never, ever, ever help us win a game in any way, shape, or form.

houghtam
09-01-2012, 08:53 AM

...he's not, though.

Let me diagram it for you:

Case Keenum < TJ Yates < John Beck < Kellen Moore < Caleb Hanie < a box of Cracker Jack < $6 hotdogs < gout < Tim Tebow

Edit: LOL

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 08:56 AM
...he's not, though.

Let me diagram it for you:

Case Keenum > TJ Yates > John Beck > Kellen Moore > Caleb Hanie > a box of Cracker Jack > $6 hotdogs > gout > Tim Tebow

Hilarious!

A box of Cracker Jack is better than Caleb Hanie, IMO.

houghtam
09-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Hilarious!

A box of Cracker Jack is better than Caleb Hanie, IMO.

Ha, nice, and rep. Let me edit.

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Quoted for truth -- but shouldn't a back-up quarterback have some modicum of upside?

What's silly is carrying someone on the roster who will never, ever, ever help us win a game in any way, shape, or form.

Absolutely. That's why Brock is here. That's literally his sole role... developing his upside.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Absolutely. That's why Brock is here. That's literally his sole role... developing his upside.

For sure -- and I'm a big athletic supporter of Osweiler's (wait, I think I phrased that wrong). The kid's got a bright future, and we should emulate the Aaron Rodgers model of sitting him for 2-3 years and giving him a Master's Degree in quarterbacking before he enters the job market.

My point is -- if we're going with 3 QBs, why the hell would Hanie be one of them?

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 09:16 AM
For sure -- and I'm a big athletic supporter of Osweiler's (wait, I think I phrased that wrong). The kid's got a bright future, and we should emulate the Aaron Rodgers model of sitting him for 2-3 years and giving him a Master's Degree in quarterbacking before he enters the job market.

My point is -- if we're going with 3 QBs, why the hell would Hanie be one of them?

The following scenarios:

- Manning's dinged up and will miss a few games but not the season

- In case Manning gets hurt 7-4, 8-3 (that ball-park) deep in that playoff hunt

Basically anytime we just need a bandaid or as an attempt to compete.

If Manning goes down early (knocking wood), we'd probably see Caleb for a game or two, and if he loses, swap to Brock.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Obviously over his head. :thumbs:

Lestat
09-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Johnson and Wallace are the only ones i'd even sniff at. Hanie is horrible but he's sadly better than most of those guys.

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Obviously over his head. :thumbs:

ExPatFan/BowlenBall is hands down one of the best football posters here (especially NCAA). I think he's just caught up with Caleb's awful preseason and over-valuing Hanie's journeyman-even-as-a-backup role.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 09:36 AM
ExPatFan/BowlenBall is hands down one of the best football posters here (especially NCAA). I think he's just caught up with Caleb's awful preseason and over-valuing Hanie's journeyman-even-as-a-backup role.

Thanks for the update on BB can't say I'veever noticed his posts.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the compliment -- but Hanie is an objectively horrible quarterback on the pro level. Was completely flummoxed when the Broncos signed him, and perplexed when he made the roster at the expense of possible contributors like Jeremiah Johnson and Jeremy Beal (who was stashed on IR).

Although I've been a Broncos fan for 25+ years, I have absolutely zero ties to the state of Colorado -- could Hanie's signing/retention (and the inexplicable support from a few of you on this board) be a nod to his roots at Colorado State U.?

menonite
09-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Curtis Painter is better than Caleb Hanie?

nyuk nyuk
09-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Colorado State: Always the bridesmaid, never the bride...

menonite
09-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't see the point in wasting a roster spot on a scrub backup QB when the team is in win now mode.

I think they should just roll with Brock "Plan B" Osweiller if Manning goes down. 'Cause there is no Plan C.

DBroncos4life
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Too be fair he didn't really say what these people are better then him at. ;)

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Yes... sad, isn't it?

menonite
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes... sad, isn't it?

Hanie is really bad., I'll grant you that , but Curtis Painter was in so far over his head last year you had to feel sorry for the kid. It was painful. He has no business in the NFL.

houghtam
09-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the compliment -- but Hanie is an objectively horrible quarterback on the pro level. Was completely flummoxed when the Broncos signed him, and perplexed when he made the roster at the expense of possible contributers like Jeremiah Johnson and Jeremy Beal (who was stashed on IR).

Although I've been a Broncos fan for 25+ years, I have absolutely zero ties to the state of Colorado -- could Hanie's signing/retention (and the inexplicable support from a few of you on this board) be a nod to his roots at Colorado State U.?

I doubt the FO signs anyone based on CSU ties. Can't say the same for the posters here though. Except the one poster who was a CSU alum who repped me saying how awful he is.

Gort
09-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't see the point in wasting a roster spot on a scrub backup QB when the team is in win now mode.

I think they should just roll with Brock "Plan B" Osweiller if Manning goes down. 'Cause there is no Plan C.

the argument is simple.

let's say Manning gets hurt in game in week 11. he's knocked out of the game, but not out for the season. let's say he misses the 2nd half of game that week and will also miss the following week's game, but he'll be good to go after that. maybe it's a twisted ankle. maybe it's a sore knee. whatever.

who do you want to come in and try to win that game in week 11 and the following week's game, knowing that the result of those 2 games might be the difference in making the playoffs and not.

choices.

1) NFL veteran with actual game experience.
2) NFL rookie with ZERO game experience.

Elway, Fox, and Manning would all choose 1). that's why Hanie is the backup and Osweiler will have to wait his turn and get some seasoning.

they didn't keep Hanie because they are worried they'll need him if Manning goes down for the season. they kept him because the more likely scenario is they might need him in an emergency for a half of a game on short notice.

Hanie and Osweiler both serve different roles. if Manning goes down for the season in game 3, you'll get your wish and see Osweiler starting before the end of the year. if Manning goes down for a couple of quarters, we'll see Hanie. if Manning doesn't go down at all, he'll take every snap this season unless this team - by some miracle - locks up a playoff spot and has nothing to play for in the final week of the season.

so everybody stop bitching about Hanie already.

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the compliment -- but Hanie is an objectively horrible quarterback on the pro level. Was completely flummoxed when the Broncos signed him, and perplexed when he made the roster at the expense of possible contributers like Jeremiah Johnson and Jeremy Beal (who was stashed on IR).

He's pretty cheap and has experience seeing REAL NFL blitz packages. There is no intention of him ever having any playing time for the Broncos in the regular season unless there is an emergency.

I have zero idea why you're so heavily over-valuing the position of a situational back-up QB.

menonite
09-01-2012, 10:04 AM
i don't have much confidence in Hanie winning a game or even keeping a lead in the second half of one.

Sage "Rosencopter" Rosenfels or Kafka would both be upgrades who are capable of winning a game or two.

Arkie
09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Sad but true. Hanie has fewer starts, lower completion rate, higher interception rate, and a lower QB rating than Painter.

Gort
09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
i don't have much confidence in Hanie winning a game or even keeping a lead in the second half of one.

Sage "Rosencopter" Rosenfels or Kafka would both be upgrades who are capable of winning a game or two.

unless your name is John Elway, John Fox, Pat Bowlen, Peyton Manning, Mike McCoy, or Adam Gase... it really doesn't matter one bit whether or not you have any confidence whether Hanie can come into a game in the 2nd half and keep a lead or win the game. the people that do matter have made their decision. you can stamp your feet as much as you want, but it's not going to change a damned thing, so get over it already.

http://therapystew.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/temper-tantrum1.jpeg

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Sad but true. Hanie has fewer starts, lower completion rate, higher interception rate, and a lower QB rating than Painter.

This.

If Manning misses any amount of time this year, Hanie is a near-guarantee to lose any games he starts. Osweiler has plenty of upside, but is nowhere near ready to play in 2012.

Personally, I'd love to see the Broncos take a chance on Josh Johnson or Seneca Wallace. Not only would they be a better choice at #2 QB, they have some value in situational wildcat or goal-line plays.

Victor
09-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Doesn't make sense to me. The job of leadership, whether in business, the military, or football, is to contingency plan so that if one man goes down there is another there to take his place.

The thought of abandoning the season if Manning gets hurt is foolishness. The team should be focused on backing up every starting position, especially the most important, with the best possible person. I hate to use the evil empire as an example, but when Bledsoe was injured Brady was there to take over and bring the team to the Super Bowl.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Doesn't make sense to me. The job of leadership, whether in business, the military, or football, is to contingency plan so that if one man goes down there is another there to take his place.

The thought of abandoning the season if Manning gets hurt is foolishness. The team should be focused on backing up every starting position, especially the most important, with the best possible person. I hate to use the evil empire as an example, but when Bledsoe was injured Brady was there to take over and bring the team to the Super Bowl.

^5

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PKfD8d3XJok?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncolife
09-01-2012, 12:56 PM
the argument is simple.

let's say Manning gets hurt in game in week 11. he's knocked out of the game, but not out for the season. let's say he misses the 2nd half of game that week and will also miss the following week's game, but he'll be good to go after that. maybe it's a twisted ankle. maybe it's a sore knee. whatever.

who do you want to come in and try to win that game in week 11 and the following week's game, knowing that the result of those 2 games might be the difference in making the playoffs and not.

choices.

Elway, Fox, and Manning would all choose 1). that's why Hanie is the backup and Osweiler will have to wait his turn and get some seasoning.

they didn't keep Hanie because they are worried they'll need him if Manning goes down for the season. they kept him because the more likely scenario is they might need him in an emergency for a half of a game on short notice.

Hanie and Osweiler both serve different roles. if Manning goes down for the season in game 3, you'll get your wish and see Osweiler starting before the end of the year. if Manning goes down for a couple of quarters, we'll see Hanie. if Manning doesn't go down at all, he'll take every snap this season unless this team - by some miracle - locks up a playoff spot and has nothing to play for in the final week of the season.

so everybody stop b****ing about Hanie already.

I see, we want a vet who throws a ton of Ints over a rookie who might throw ints. Maybe Haine passes look prettier going into defenders hands.

Against every team haine played last year he threw 3 picks except the broncos. And I doubt he will play the broncos this year:)

And the years before that 3 for 7 and a Int. 4 for 7 if you want to count the completion to the defender.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Chicago last year with cutler was a playoff team. They had an offense and a good defense. Cutler goes down and hanie instantly turns them into one of the worst teams. He has that big of a bad impact. Why they even looked at him in the offseason is mind boggling. We saw the tape on him. Horrible. Yet they still took him in? Don't understand it.

Kaylore
09-01-2012, 01:54 PM

This can work with the position of lineman or linebacker. Not QB. There aren't even enough good QB's in the league for all 32 teams to each have just one decent starter in the NFL, let alone asking us to find a second. Teams like the '91 Niners or 2001 Patriots are the anomalous instances. Virtually all of the teams in the league would suffer a significant drop off if their starting QB went down.

What I'm more happy with is Fox and Elway have emphasized the non-QB related things that can make the back up QB more successful if he has to come in and play: Improved defense, strong running game, awesome special teams, lots of good tight ends. - These are the things a backup QB, whoever he is, will be leaning on until the starter comes back.

And Manning is going to be fine. Quit buying into the hype that he's fragile. Before the surgery, which made his neck stronger than it was before, he was the second most durable QB behind Brett Favre. Just chill out.

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 01:59 PM
the argument is simple.

choices.

so everybody stop b****ing about Hanie already.

Oh, Chris Simms says :wave:

unless your name is John Elway, John Fox, Pat Bowlen, Peyton Manning, Mike McCoy, or Adam Gase... it really doesn't matter one bit whether or not you have any confidence whether Hanie can come into a game in the 2nd half and keep a lead or win the game. the people that do matter have made their decision. you can stamp your feet as much as you want, but it's not going to change a damned thing, so get over it already.

One of the lamest posts that tried to make sense. This is a internet forum. This is meant to have opinions. If you want the company line, go over to the Broncos official forum website.
Obviously, you like Hanie the backup and don't want any discussion on how bad he is and that there are other QBs better than him. Tell us all about that great leadership and veteran presence while he was QB for the Bears last season.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
This can work with the position of lineman or linebacker. Not QB. There aren't even enough good QB's in the league for all 32 teams to each have just one decent starter in the NFL, let alone asking us to find a second. Teams like the '91 Niners or 2001 Patriots are the anomalous instances. Virtually all of the teams in the league would suffer a significant drop off if their starting QB went down.

What I'm more happy with is Fox and Elway have emphasized the non-QB related things that can make the back up QB more successful if he has to come in and play: Improved defense, strong running game, awesome special teams, lots of good tight ends. - These are the things a backup QB, whoever he is, will be leaning on until the starter comes back.

And Manning is going to be fine. Quit buying into the hype that he's fragile. Before the surgery, which made his neck stronger than it was before, he was the second most durable QB behind Brett Favre. Just chill out.

Why is it that you have to tell every one that..

they should know it unless they grew up playing madden or FF.
But in the real world it happens about every 15 years or so.

LRtagger
09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Bring back the beast

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Tom_Brandstater.JPG/250px-Tom_Brandstater.JPG

ozomulsion
09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Throughout the years the Steelers have seemed to keep game managing QBs in the backup spot who could get the job done when Rothlesman either went down or got suspended for Rape. That said, I think we can insert Tebow and run some of that triple option stuff if/When Manning goes down with broke neck.

menonite
09-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize we are only allowed to talk about things that we can actually effect on the Denver Broncos. Keep up the nice work on policing the forums Barney.

Anyways...Kafka cleared waivers.

Victor
09-01-2012, 02:40 PM

I didn't say Manning was fragile. I certainly hope that he plays every minute of every game. My point is that there is no reason to accept a chitty backup like Hanie. Why should we settle? The dude sucks...it is plain to see.

I think that you're letting your GM off the hook if you automatically admit defeat before the season begins. Why not strive for an excellent backup? Hanie is like the anti-prototype...short (check), slow (check), immobile (check), noodle arm (check), confused (check).

You say that it's tough to find a good backup...well so what. Go find one anyway. Bunch of quitters around here.

And as far as chilling out, I thought this was a message board. You know, where you have opinions and such.

Victor
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Why is it that you have to tell every one that..

they should know it unless they grew up playing madden or FF.
But in the real world it happens about every 15 years or so.

I'm sure that he gets a warm feeling in his heart knowing that a football mensa like you supports him.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm sure that he gets a warm feeling in his heart knowing that a football mensa like you supports him.

I'm not sure about him but Got few reps on that post. So all is not lost if he does not.

Paladin
09-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Hanie does not have to be a good QB. He just has to have enough working digits to successfully hand the ball off to MaGahee or Hillman, and may be on a end around play or two.

Gort
09-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Oh, Chris Simms says :wave:

One of the lamest posts that tried to make sense. This is a internet forum. This is meant to have opinions. If you want the company line, go over to the Broncos official forum website.
Obviously, you like Hanie the backup and don't want any discussion on how bad he is and that there are other QBs better than him. Tell us all about that great leadership and veteran presence while he was QB for the Bears last season.

no, actually i don't care one way or the other about Hanie. but we have a bunch of idiots on here with sand in their vaginas who are completely heartbroken the Hanie made the team. $97M was spent to bring in Manning and all they can talk about about is Hanie and what IF Manning goes down and how bad Hanie MIGHT be if he has to play.

give it a rest! we haven't even played a real game yet and these idiots are crying about the BACKUP QB. none of the 3 QBs on the roster have ever thrown a regular season pass as a Bronco. i don't give a sh*t what Hanie did in Chicago or Osweiler did at Arizona St. or even what Manning did in Indiacrapolis. nothing matters until the games start to count in the standings and only then will i make a judgement about any of them.

Gort
09-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize we are only allowed to talk about things that we can actually effect on the Denver Broncos. Keep up the nice work on policing the forums Barney.

Anyways...Kafka cleared waivers.

You just made the list, buddy.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj6/stymie1224/conradstripes3.jpg

Victor
09-01-2012, 03:26 PM
no, actually i don't care one way or the other about Hanie. but we have a bunch of idiots on here with sand in their vaginas who are completely heartbroken the Hanie made the team. $97M was spent to bring in Manning and all they can talk about about is Hanie and what IF Manning goes down and how bad Hanie MIGHT be if he has to play.

give it a rest! we haven't even played a real game yet and these idiots are crying about the BACKUP QB. none of the 3 QBs on the roster have ever thrown a regular season pass as a Bronco. i don't give a sh*t what Hanie did in Chicago or Osweiler did at Arizona St. or even what Manning did in Indiacrapolis. nothing matters until the games start to count in the standings and only then will i make a judgement about any of them.

For an Ayn Rand fan you're not much of an indpendent thinker. I bet you didn't make it all the way through Atlas Shrugged. Imposter. Poser.

Gort
09-01-2012, 03:57 PM
For an Ayn Rand fan you're not much of an indpendent thinker. I bet you didn't make it all the way through Atlas Shrugged. Imposter. Poser.

you got me. you found me out. i'm not even a real person. i am a computer program written by a race of space aliens, designed to lull all of you into a false sense of self-satisfied smugness until the day my my masters and overlords arrive to destroy the Earth. i have determined your exact GPS coordinates and am now beginning transmission of those coordinates back to planet Sikun so that they will eat you first...

10110010110101011111010100000101011100101001101010 00100111110010101011100010100111001001001001010100 1001001

broncolife
09-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Im pretty sure Manning has been talked about already. Cuts just happend and people were hoping some players they disliked didnt make the team, so why cant they discuss it? Just because you dont care doesnt mean other fans dont.

i don't give a sh*t what Hanie did in Chicago or Osweiler did at Arizona St. or even what Manning did in Indiacrapolis. nothing matters until the games start to count in the standings and only then will i make a judgement about any of them.

Man you must have been pissed about the Manning signing since you dont care about what players did with previous teams. It must have been like signing some no name qb for a 100 mil to you.

Kaylore
09-01-2012, 04:24 PM
You say that it's tough to find a good backup...well so what. Go find one anyway. Bunch of quitters around here.

http://www.thegshift.com/gifparty/naomi-eyeroll-ep9.gif

errand
09-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Dear Mr. Elway,

Your biggest fan,

BowlenBall

To: BowlenBall

Re: Open Letter

Dear Mr. BowlenBall,

While I can appreciate your concern over the QB depth chart, I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't try to tell me how to run my mother****ing team.

Sincerely,

John Elway

Rev is right on this issue, the back-up QB position is an afterthought as we'll go as far as Manning takes us. And should he go down, I'm sure depending on the length of his down time the coaching staff will go with Hanie for short term, Brock if it's long term.

TheReverend
09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

I think you're interpreting things that weren't even said.

On that note though, I implore you to name a potential playoff team that isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down?

errand
09-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I've never met so many people who think how a player performs in camp, practice, and in preseason games doesn't mean anything....

Ya know, sometimes you're just gonna have to trust the guys in charge of the team to make the right decisions....if Weber had shown anything to the coaching staff he'd be on the roster and Hanie would not be.

Turd_Ferguson
09-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Who really cares who the backup is? Before the whole neck surgery Manning had one of the longest streaks without missing a start in the NFL... People keep acting like he is a china doll out there. He has shown no signs of being fragile. The only real question for me was if his nerve endings had healed enough for him to be able to throw the ball somewhat close to the way he did before the surgery. This guy played several games with a broken jaw, so who cares who the back up is, if Manning goes down the Broncos are totally ****ed, no matter which one of the scrub losers on that list are his back up.

Hanie is cheap, if for some reason manning cant play, why would you throw Osweiler to the wolves? You specifically drafted him to sit behind Manning and NOT PLAY, so why would you want to let him go out there and play the last 7 games of the year or whatever is left... Let Hanie do it, apparently the fan base has already turned on him no big loss.

R8R H8R
09-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Apparently, the teams that just cut them disagree with you.

Victor
09-01-2012, 05:14 PM

On that note though, I implore you to name a potential playoff team that isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down?

The Jets? Lol...just wanted to get the orangemane bretheren fired up.

I don't disagree that there is a step down on every team from the starter to the back up. I guess Seattle might have caught lightning in a bottle by drafting Wilson and having Flynn as well.

At the risk of beating a dead, dead horse, my beef was the seemingly blase acceptance of mediocre QB play from the back up. As I said earlier, my hope is that this is much ado about nothing.

errand
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Not only would they be a better choice at #2 QB, they have some value in situational wildcat or goal-line plays.

If they were worth their weight as "back-up" QB's, then why are they being released?

Victor
09-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I've never met so many people who think how a player performs in camp, practice, and in preseason games doesn't mean anything....

Ya know, sometimes you're just gonna have to trust the guys in charge of the team to make the right decisions....if Weber had shown anything to the coaching staff he'd be on the roster and Hanie would not be.

This was the exact same argument that many used (and I'm including myself I'm sure) to justify and support some of McD's moves. Sometimes the experts crap the bed. Sometimes they are too close to the action to see the forest for the trees. I'm going to stop with the metaphors now...but someone has to call it out when the emporer has no clothes.

See what I did there...I said I was going to stop with the metaphors and I didn't.

errand
09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
At the risk of beating a dead, dead horse, my beef was the seemingly blase acceptance of mediocre QB play from the back up. As I said earlier, my hope is that this is much ado about nothing.

Well, if the truth be known, a back-up that plays better than mediocre or above average doesn't remain the back-up for long. They're mediocre QB's...which is why they're the back-up and not the starter.

errand
09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
This was the exact same argument that many used (and I'm including myself I'm sure) to justify and support some of McD's moves. Sometimes the experts crap the bed. Sometimes they are too close to the action to see the forest for the trees. I'm going to stop with the metaphors now...but someone has to call it out when the emporer has no clothes.

See what I did there...I said I was going to stop with the metaphors and I didn't.

No problem dude...just list your qualifications that prove you know more than people who do it for a living. I mean John Fox and John Elway don't claim they can make a whopper faster than you can, now do they?

R8R H8R
09-01-2012, 05:45 PM
It wouldn't be a true Mane offseason for some of you guys without something to ***** about. I remember in 1998, no team but the Broncos would have given more than a bag of beat-up footballs for Bubby Brister, and yet he came in and filled-in admirably for 4 games.

Why? Because he wasn't asked to win the game, he was asked to not lose it. Remember Shannon saying "we're going to give you the keys to the Ferrari, please don't crash it"? And yes, I am fully aware that was a more polished team than this team is at this point, but the point remains.

Also, I don't give a rats *** what he did last year with the Bears; without Crybaby Cutler, that offensive talent is nowhere near the talent this offense has, esp after Forte went down.

One more thing, the Bears should have beaten us last year, but Marion Barber handed the game to us and Tebow & Prater took advantage. Hanie managed the game well and didn't turn the ball over for his part. I am sure the FO looked at that tape and liked his part in that game. Relax people, chances are good he never see's the field anyway.

menonite
09-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Of course "New Coke" will sell - who knows more about making soft drinks than Coca-cola?

Of course the Challenger won't explode - these guys are rocket scientists!

Iceberg?! More like an ice-cube! He's the captain and I'm sure they would never let him take charge of the Titanic if he didn't know what he was doing.

The bottom line is - this is a forum for discussing football. Lighten up and accept the fact that people have different opinions and the world isn't going to end if people are allowed to talk about things you don't want to read about.

missingnumber7
09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I wonder if Weber had made it through waivers to us for the PS if we would have cut Hanie then.

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 06:25 PM
no, actually i don't care one way or the other about Hanie. but we have a bunch of idiots on here with sand in their vaginas who are completely heartbroken the Hanie made the team. $97M was spent to bring in Manning and all they can talk about about is Hanie and what IF Manning goes down and how bad Hanie MIGHT be if he has to play. give it a rest! we haven't even played a real game yet and these idiots are crying about the BACKUP QB. none of the 3 QBs on the roster have ever thrown a regular season pass as a Bronco. i don't give a sh*t what Hanie did in Chicago or Osweiler did at Arizona St. or even what Manning did in Indiacrapolis. nothing matters until the games start to count in the standings and only then will i make a judgement about any of them.

Why would you want to react when it is too late? What happens if Manning goes down and we have a ****ty backup? It isn't like we have to break the bank. You need to be prepared as a team to be ready for your first stringers to go down. We are not talking about $10 million a year for a guy that might not see the field. We are asking for someone better than Hanie if there is that opportunity. I don't hate on the guy but many here think he is a pile of dog ****. Not every QB possibility available would be described like that.

We have a list of better QBs than Hanie yet we kept him and we are wondering why? How hard is that for you to question the move on a (wait for it)........ an internet forum that talks about...(wait for it again)........ opinions! Holy Moly, that is how it works?

Try it. In fact, we got your opinion. You just want to sit back and see what happens. Why would you be here then if you just want to be the casual fan and go with whatever the Broncos do is good enough for your liking?

Can I be on that list too?

ColoradoDarin
09-01-2012, 06:38 PM

With parity, every team is a potential playoff team...

Anywho - Jets and Seattle as mentioned above, Titans with Hasselbeck behind Locker are pretty set, whoever the iggles run out there when Vick goes down (Foles I guess) because they prepare QBs like no one else, AZ with Kolb (stretching I'll admit), Kubes is about the same as Andy Reid with QBs and Schaub is Vick-like in his ability to never complete a season. Just off the top of my head :strong:

errand
09-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Of course "New Coke" will sell - who knows more about making soft drinks than Coca-cola?

Iceberg?! More like an ice-cube! He's the captain and I'm sure they would never let him take charge of the Titanic if he didn't know what he was doing.

The bottom line is - this is a forum for discussing football. Lighten up and accept the fact that people have different opinions and the world isn't going to end if people are allowed to talk about things you don't want to read about.

Wow, trying to claim Hanie playing back-up for the Broncos is akin to the Titantic and Challenger disasters.

And you want people to lighten up? How about you lighten up on Hanie? I mean the world isn't going to end if he plays a game or two in Manning's stead now will it?

...he actually played very well in his appearance in playoff game after Cutler went out...as for last year, he was without Forte, his WR's are a notch above average, and his OL sucked...doesn't excuse his pedestrian play, but it does give a reason for the Bears struggles. Hanie is not as good as Cutler and cannot carry a team...which is why he's a back-up.

He also played well in the 3rd preseason dress rehearsal vs one of NFL's better D's did he not?

It's not that you hate Hanie that makes your takes stupid...it's that you clowns want someone else's no names to replace him.

I mean c'mon...if those guys aren't good enough for their former teams...what the hell makes you think they'd be good enough for our team?

broncolife
09-01-2012, 06:45 PM
It wouldn't be a true Mane offseason for some of you guys without something to ***** about.

It would be a boring board if everyone agreed.

Fan #1: We rule

Fan #2: Yeah

Fan #3: Bob you suck monkey balls

Bob: Yes I do

..................Crickets........................ ...........

Gort
09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Why would you want to react when it is too late? What happens if Manning goes down and we have a ****ty backup? It isn't like we have to break the bank. You need to be prepared as a team to be ready for your first stringers to go down. We are not talking about $10 million a year for a guy that might not see the field. We are asking for someone better than Hanie if there is that opportunity. I don't hate on the guy but many here think he is a pile of dog ****. Not every QB possibility available would be described like that.

We have a list of better QBs than Hanie yet we kept him and we are wondering why? How hard is that for you to question the move on a (wait for it)........ an internet forum that talks about...(wait for it again)........ opinions! Holy Moly, that is how it works?

Try it. In fact, we got your opinion. You just want to sit back and see what happens. Why would you be here then if you just want to be the casual fan and go with whatever the Broncos do is good enough for your liking?

Can I be on that list too?

i'm not going around screaming about the house being on fire before it's actually on fire. that's my point. you would think that Manning is already out for the year the way some are complaining about Hanie. Manning signed in March, right? well it's now September. Elway, Fox, and McCoy had 5 or 6 months to find a suitable backup. they think they have. yet some here want us to rush out and desperately sign some stiffs who were just cut from other teams, to be the backups. with no training camp here. with no time spent learning our system. it doesn't make sense. not at all.

i'm not opposed to people expressing opinions, but for crying out loud, let's not put the cart before the horse and start counting the games Hanie is going to lose for us this year. he hasn't taken even 1 regular season snap as a Bronco and already some people here are convinced his presence on the roster will be the ruination of the franchise.

anyway, my drama quotient for the month is already exceeded, so i'm done with this thread. however, you ladies feel free to argue about whether Hanie is going to cost us the 2012 season, or whether or not lavender pillows look best on your settee, or if its ever ok to serve Chardonnay with brisket, or whatever it is you ladies usually argue about...

broncolife
09-01-2012, 07:05 PM

I find it hilarious that people are getting pissed off about people discussing the back up qb position. Its not like people are calling for Manning to be replaced or think his neck is going to give out. Manning is getting up there in age and injuries are more likely to happen. Does it mean he will get injured? No, but it wouldnt hurt to have someone who protects the ball a little better for our back up or we might as well have our rookie backing up. If he goes down more than a couple games then we are most likley screwed anyways, then I could see the point in having Haine to gaurantee a great draft pick. But if its a short term injury then I think our rook can handle it and not be traumatized by a couple of games.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Looks like Weber elected to sign with Tampa Bay's practice squad... sigh...

Quick show of hands, how many people thought Hanie was better than Weber?

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
You just made the list, buddy.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj6/stymie1224/conradstripes3.jpg

http://jamiewalkerball.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/francis.jpg

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage Rosenfels is a quality back up QB with starter experience. They should go sign him right now!!!

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 08:37 PM

I totally agree

NorCalBronco7
09-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Hanie has better physical tools than Weber, and its not close. Theres nothing about Webers game that gives me confidence that he might one day be a capable NFL backup. Hanie isnt the ideal backup, but hes young and at least has the physical tools to play the position.

Im sure the reason why everyone is concerned about Peytons backup is because of his neck. And I understand that to an extent. But as you guys will see, Peytons offense is his ****ing offense. Its unique. No backup will run a similar scheme to Peytons offense....not in the least.

Guys like Hanie (high risk, high reward), are the types I want behind Peyton as opposed to an older, more experienced player with little potential trade value and coming often at a steep price.

Peyton isnt more injury prone than Stafford was after his freak injury. Considering Peyton a liablity is......very stupid to be honest. And bickering about his backup is like questioning the complexity of his offense.

R8R H8R
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
It would be a boring board if everyone agreed.

Fan #1: We rule

Fan #2: Yeah

Fan #3: Bob you suck monkey balls

Bob: Yes I do

..................Crickets........................ ...........

Disagreements are not in shortage on this board, and is encouraged. However, non-stop *****ing and moaning about something that is completely out of the control of anyone on this board is also just as boring and old, IMO.

BTW, I agree with you on one thing, Bob does suck monkey balls. :sunshine:

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 09:51 PM

I'll take that Pepsi Challenge -- interesting question, actually (and it's a slow day at work):

Teams That Aren't Screwed if Their Starting QB Goes Down
San Francisco 49ers (Colin Kaepernick)
Seattle Seahawks (Matt Flynn)
Arizona Cardinals (Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley)
Washington Redskins (Kirk Cousins, Rex Grossman)
Chicago Bears (Jason Campbell)
Minnesota Vikings (Joe Webb)
New England Patriots (Ryan Mallet)
New York Jets (Tim Tebow)
Cleveland Browns (Colt McCoy)
Tennessee Titans (Matt Hasselbeck)

Teams Who Are Screwed, But Still Have Better Back-ups Than Caleb Hanie
Buffalo Bills (Tarvaris Jackson, Tyler Thigpen)
Oakland Raiders (Matt Leinert, Terrelle Pryor)
Carolina Panthers (Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen)
San Diego Chargers (Charlie Whitehurst)
Detroit Lions (Shaun Hill, Kellen Moore)
Miami Dolphins (David Gerrard, Matt Moore)
Houston Texans (TJ Yates)
Indianapolis Colts (Chandler Harnisch, Drew Stanton)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Chad Henne)
Dallas Cowboys (Kyle Orton)
Kansas City Chiefs (Brady Quinn)
New York Giants (David Carr)
Philadelphia Eagles (Trent Edwards, Nick Foles)
Green Bay Packers (Graham Harrell)

Teams Who Don't Have Back-Ups Better Than Caleb Hanie
Pittsburgh Steelers (Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich)
Cincinnati Bengals (Bruce Gradkowski)
Baltimore Ravens (Tyrod Taylor)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Dan Orlovsky)
Atlanta Falcons (Luke McCown)
New Orleans Saints (Chase Daniel)
St. Louis Rams (Austin Davis)

My point is this: Brock Osweiler will be an excellent #2 next year, but he's not ready yet to play in a live NFL game. Our front office has put us in a pretty precarious position with Hanie as our back-up this year. What if Manning breaks a finger on someone's helmet and misses three games? We're a near-lock to lose those three games and therefore miss the playoffs.

The #2 quarterback spot IS important, and the Broncos FO has NOT done a good job with it this year. I'm frustrated because Elway should and does know better (Kubiak saved our bacon a few times back in the day), and he let a quarterback who was better than Hanie (Weber) walk yesterday.

NorCalBronco7
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM

My point is this: Brock Osweiler will be an excellent #2 next year, but he's not ready yet to play in a live NFL game. Our front office has put us in a pretty precarious position with Hanie as our back-up this year. What if Manning breaks a finger on someone's helmet and misses three games? We're a near-lock to lose those three games and therefore miss the playoffs.

The #2 quarterback spot IS important, and the Broncos FO has NOT done a good job with it this year. I'm frustrated because Elway should and does know better (Kubiak saved our bacon a few times back in the day), and he let a quarterback who was better than Hanie (Weber) walk yesterday.

Being a backup Qb for Peyton Mannings is completely different than the vast majority of starting NFL Qbs, perhaps them all. His offense is entirely unique and geared towards Peytons mental capabilities. Whoever steps in for Peyton will be faced with an entirely different scheme, and more importantly, the rest of the starting offense will bare with the same change in philosophy.

The amount it would cost to pay for a decent backup caliber Qb is several millions. Thats not a great way to allocate money for a team aiming to win now.

Your list is silly btw. Cousins.......thats all I really have to say. I mean, he hasnt even took an NFL snap yet.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I'll take that Pepsi Challenge -- interesting question, actually (and it's a slow day at work):

Good post.

Charlie batch is much better than Caleb Hanie. Gradowski is better than Hanie as well.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Being a backup Qb for Peyton Mannings is completely different than the vast majority of starting NFL Qbs, perhaps them all. His offense is entirely unique and geared towards Peytons mental capabilities. Whoever steps in for Peyton will be faced with an entirely different scheme, and more importantly, the rest of the starting offense will bare with the same change in philosophy.

The amount it would cost to pay for a decent backup caliber Qb is several millions. [U]Thats not a great way to allocate money for a team aiming to win now.[/B]

Your list is silly btw. Cousins.......thats all I really have to say. I mean, he hasnt even took an NFL snap yet.

Of course, there's going to be quite a bit of disagreement on which back-up quarterbacks are at what level. However, I think most objective observers can agree that Hanie falls in the bottom quartile of backup QBs. It's not even really debatable.

As for Kirk Cousins... "silly?" Do you actually follow the NFL, or do you just troll message boards?

Kirk Cousins Impressive in start (http://dc.sbnation.com/2012/8/30/3279447/buccaneers-redskins-blog-reaction-kirk-cousins-brandon-banks)
Kirk Cousins Shines (http://blogs.bettor.com/Rookie-quarterback-Kirk-Cousins-shines-as-Washington-Redskins-thrash-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-NFL-Recap-a184018)

I double-dog dare you to find one news article that says something similar about Caleb Hanie. You can't, because he sucks, and has always sucked. Just because he's taken NFL snaps doesn't mean he's superior to Cousins -- Hanie's got 3 career TDs to go with 9 interceptions, for God's sake, and has looked even worse than his career stats in our preseason games.

Agamemnon
09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Hanie has better physical tools than Weber, and its not close. Theres nothing about Webers game that gives me confidence that he might one day be a capable NFL backup. Hanie isnt the ideal backup, but hes young and at least has the physical tools to play the position.

Im sure the reason why everyone is concerned about Peytons backup is because of his neck. And I understand that to an extent. But as you guys will see, Peytons offense is his ****ing offense. Its unique. No backup will run a similar scheme to Peytons offense....not in the least.

Guys like Hanie (high risk, high reward), are the types I want behind Peyton as opposed to an older, more experienced player with little potential trade value and coming often at a steep price.

Peyton isnt more injury prone than Stafford was after his freak injury. Considering Peyton a liablity is......very stupid to be honest. And bickering about his backup is like questioning the complexity of his offense.

You lost me when you called Hanie "high risk, high reward". That's just...wow... :saywhat:

NorCalBronco7
09-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Of course, there's going to be quite a bit of disagreement on which back-up quarterbacks are at what level. However, I think most objective observers can agree that Hanie falls in the bottom quartile of backup QBs. It's not even really debatable.

As for Kirk Cousins... "silly?" Do you actually follow the NFL, or do you just troll message boards?

Kirk Cousins Impressive in start (http://dc.sbnation.com/2012/8/30/3279447/buccaneers-redskins-blog-reaction-kirk-cousins-brandon-banks)
Kirk Cousins Shines (http://blogs.bettor.com/Rookie-quarterback-Kirk-Cousins-shines-as-Washington-Redskins-thrash-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-NFL-Recap-a184018)

I double-dog dare you to find one news article that says something similar about Caleb Hanie. You can't, because he sucks, and has always sucked. Just because he's taken NFL snaps doesn't mean he's superior to Cousins -- Hanie's got 3 career TDs to go with 9 interceptions, for God's sake, and has looked even worse than his career stats in our preseason games.

Tebow has millions of articles that doesnt mean ****. Who cares about how much hype/attention players are getting, that means squat on the field, and we both know it.

Cousins hasnt even took a meaningful NFL snap. Until he does, saying hes better than anyone is flat out stupid.

The point I made was no backup steps into Peytons offense and tries to manage it. Its far too complex with every single nuance being tied together. Thats not to say a valuable backup that can manage an new offense if Manning goes down isnt nessasary. Its that they cost a lot of money that the Broncos dont want to spend at that postion.

You lost me when you called Hanie "high risk, high reward". That's just...wow... :saywhat:

Your lost in general, dude.

dsmoot
09-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Not trying to be mean. If there is one thing I will trust Elway/Fox over you, is their ability to choose a backup QB. None of those players will lead us to a Superbowl. There really is only Plan A.

Punisher
09-02-2012, 05:34 AM
Sage Rosenfels

TheReverend
09-02-2012, 06:35 AM

Only two of those teams made it to the playoffs last year, and as for them, I'm sorry, do you really think for a second that Kaepernick or Mallet will take those teams back to the playoffs?

montrose
09-02-2012, 06:45 AM
If Manning were to be dinged early in the season, they probably feel more comfortable with Hanie coming in but later in the season after injuries start occurring - they may need an extra players at other positions. Perhaps by that time with additional practice reps for Brock (they actually like him, opposed to Tebow, so I imagine he'll get reps as a backup during practice) they'll feel more comfortable just going with two QBs.

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Lol all those guys you listed are terrible. I would take Brian Hoyer over him though ( not listed ).

QFT

houghtam
09-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I find it hilarious that people are getting pissed off about people discussing the back up qb position. Its not like people are calling for Manning to be replaced or think his neck is going to give out. Manning is getting up there in age and injuries are more likely to happen. Does it mean he will get injured? No, but it wouldnt hurt to have someone who protects the ball a little better for our back up or we might as well have our rookie backing up. If he goes down more than a couple games then we are most likley screwed anyways, then I could see the point in having Haine to gaurantee a great draft pick. But if its a short term injury then I think our rook can handle it and not be traumatized by a couple of games.

What I'm laughing at is that most of the people getting mad at people for questioning Hanie are the same ones who rooted against Tebow and are still posting Tebow articles now that he's a Jet. It's like if you question one move the FO makes, you're automatically an idiot and the FO automatically knows what they're doing.

S'not always the case, folks. If it were, this place would be a deserted wasteland where 6 people got together every day to pleasure each other.

Hanie is terrible. There are many quarterbacks in the NFL who would be better than him.

Hanie will also never see the field, if the FO knows what it's doing. I'm with broncolife, throwing Osweiler in if Manning goes down for a few games isn't going to ruin him.

So why even keep a third QB? Just in case both go down in the same game? Is Hanie's performance going to be any better than Knowshon Moreno or whoever the hell is our emergency QB? Hell no. Scratch the 3rd QB and use the roster spot for something else, please.

errand
09-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Love how he says Texans are screwed if Schaub goes down .....didn't Yates win a few games including one in playoffs?

dsmoot
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I agree that we should have the freedom to question the FO. Why have this site. True statement. In this case, backup QB, I will still defer to Elway. I will trust what he sees in practice now that he is not a casual observer. Is it possible, the FO just doesn't see a real measurable difference to all the names already mentioned in this thread. I have seen everyone of the names play. NONE of them excite me relative to Hanie. Even Hanie doesn't excite me but I did like what I saw at CSU.

Why keep three? If Manning were to go down for more than a couple of games, real developmental harm could be done to Brock if he is thrown to the wolves and is overwhelmed. One of the best moves, maybe the only one, that Reeves did for Elway that first year was to sit him after a few very, lost and horrendous performances.

errand
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
For the record nobody is saying Hanie is very good....but he was clearly the pick of the litter as far as managing the offense on our team out of Brock, Caleb, and Adam...

BowlenBall
09-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Only two of those teams made it to the playoffs last year, and as for them, I'm sorry, do you really think for a second that Kaepernick or Mallet will take those teams back to the playoffs?

Actually, in the case of Kaepernick, yes -- I think he's much better than Alex Smith, to be honest.

As for Mallet -- I think he could hold down the fort for a few games. Hell, remember the season where Sam Cassell took over? Mallet's better than him, right?

bowtown
09-02-2012, 08:32 AM
As for Mallet -- I think he could hold down the fort for a few games. Hell, remember the season where Sam Cassell took over? Mallet's better than him, right?

Impossible to know. Mallet has never seen any legitimate playing time to be able to judge, and Sam Cassell isn't even a person.

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Impossible to know. Mallet has never seen any legitimate playing time to be able to judge, and Sam Cassell isn't even a person.

Well that's not true Sam Cassell was an NBA pg and a pretty good one.

bronco militia
09-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Sage Rosenfels

LOL

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CAKAKE-uq-8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CAKAKE-uq-8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Punisher
09-02-2012, 09:37 AM
LOL

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CAKAKE-uq-8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CAKAKE-uq-8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

lmao! nice

HorseHead
09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Don't laugh...Brian Hoyer could win ya a game or two...

errand
09-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I double-dog dare you to find one news article that says something similar about Caleb Hanie. You can't, because he sucks, and has always sucked. Just because he's taken NFL snaps doesn't mean he's superior to Cousins --

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-22/sports/ct-spt-0923-pompei-bears-chicago--20110923_1_jay-cutler-caleb-hanie-raji

BTW, this was in a playoff game after being down 14-0 heading into the 4th qtr to the eventual world champion GB packers...not some chump preseason game against scrubs.

Does this mean Hanie is starter material...of course not. But he'll be a serviceable back-up.

R8R H8R
09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Actually, in the case of Kaepernick, yes -- I think he's much better than Alex Smith, to be honest.

So not only do you know better than HOF QB John Elway, you know better than Jim Harbaugh, who is considered one of the better QB gurus in all of football. Is that correct?

For a few games maybe, but the majority of a season(which is what Rev was talking about), we have no idea. As far as Mallet being better than Matt Cassel, again, we have no idea since he has never played in a real NFL game before. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I really don't get what that has to do with Hanie or any of the scrubs that are now on the street.

menonite
09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I wonder if Colts fans had this discussion about Curtis Painter last year?

Is Kerry Collins still alive?

BowlenBall
09-02-2012, 08:04 PM
So not only do you know better than HOF QB John Elway, you know better than Jim Harbaugh, who is considered one of the better QB gurus in all of football. Is that correct?

For a few games maybe, but the majority of a season(which is what Rev was talking about), we have no idea. As far as Mallet being better than Matt Cassel, again, we have no idea since he has never played in a real NFL game before. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I really don't get what that has to do with Hanie or any of the scrubs that are now on the street.

Ummm... Jim Harbaugh traded up in the 2nd round of last year's draft to get Kaepernick. I'm pretty sure he used that draft pick so that he could replace Alex Smith.

And you're right, Rev and I are talking about two different scenarios. We all agree that if Manning goes down for the majority of the season, we're probably screwed, no matter who our back-up is.

However, I think there are several quarterbacks available who could 'hold down the fort' for two or three games in case Manning has a minor injury. I just don't think Osweiler is ready this year, and I have no confidence at all in Hanie, based on his history and what I've seen of him (and yes, i watched all his games with Chicago last year... he sucks)

errand
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I have no confidence at all in Hanie, based on his history and what I've seen of him (and yes, i watched all his games with Chicago last year... he sucks)

Why would a Broncos fan watch all of the Bears games? And granted you'd have to watch the Bears when they played Broncos...and perhaps you are a Cutler fan...but after he went down, what logical reason would you have to watch the ****ing Bears?

BowlenBall
09-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Why would a Broncos fan watch all of the Bears games? And granted you'd have to watch the Bears when they played Broncos...and perhaps you are a Cutler fan...but after he went down, what logical reason would you have to watch the ****ing Bears?

Fantasy football (had a few Chicago players last year, and looked at picking Hanie up off the waiver wire when Cutler went down)... and I live abroad and have NFL Game Pass, which gives me access to all games throughout the season. I generally watch about half of the games each week.

You're a very unfriendly person, by the way... you should try to relax more. You'll live longer.

menonite
09-08-2012, 01:52 PM

unless your name is John Elway, John Fox, Pat Bowlen, Peyton
Manning, Mike McCoy, or Adam Gase... it really doesn't matter one bit whether or not you have any confidence whether Hanie can come into a game in the 2nd half and keep a lead or win the game. the people that do matter have made their decision. you can stamp your feet as much as you want, but it's not going to change a damned thing, so get over it already.

:-*

So are they gonna resign him later or what?

houghtam
09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Fantasy football (had a few Chicago players last year, and looked at picking Hanie up off the waiver wire when Cutler went down)... and I live abroad and have NFL Game Pass, which gives me access to all games throughout the season. I generally watch about half of the games each week.

You're a very unfriendly person, by the way... you should try to relax more. You'll live longer.

Heaven forbid someone live in an area where Denver games aren't televised and another team's are. I've been a Broncos fan since '84 and I've probably still seen twice as many Lions games as I have Broncos games.

Victor
09-08-2012, 03:34 PM

How about this...I lived in Chicago for four years until I moved last year. Is that okay? Caught quite a few Bears games as you can imagine.

BowlenBall
09-08-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/louisiana/29912d1332678446-who-dat-happydance.gif