PDA

View Full Version : Every Manning pass

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 02:25 AM
<IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e9ZKNSlmGDk" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Notice how fast he gets the swing passes out to the RB. They always will pick up at least 4 yards everytime, just long hand off.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 02:30 AM
The Bleacher Report talks about Manning's passes in-depth in a great long article complete with diagrams.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/531/439/peyton_manning_5_original.jpg?1346413919
Manning has three short options, all attacking the zone in front of the strong safety at various depths. One of those three targets is likely to be open for the first down. But they also have the two outside wideouts go deep, leaving the free safety stuck playing center field.

Lance Ball, the tailback, is the one split wide to the right; he uses his speed and a clean double-move to beat linebacker Larry Grant deep. Manning has the patience, and the protection, to see Ball get open and hit him it in stride before safety Donte Whitner can get over.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1317861-breaking-down-peyton-mannings-form-at-preseasons-end

fontaine
09-01-2012, 03:49 AM
The guy just looks so smooth in the pocket. Always scanning the field in his dropback, sidestepping the rush or moving around in the pocket.

Just an unbelieveable awareness of when to get rid of the ball all while keeping his eyes moving across the field.

If our wideouts do their part then I think it's going to be a fun year for our defense as well.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks for that video..

I've been inngermany and did not get to see with the SEA or SFO game.. Now I can see how good our O took SFO apart.

Pretty impressive. Just maybe this team will win. Afew more games than I thought..

My biggest concern was not Manning knowing what he needed to do but the supporting cast being tuned into him.. Also had some concern about the OL in pass protect. But SFO and SEA both had a damned fine defense last year..

If they we're really trying to win while they were in then maybe we will be much better.

Das is gott.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks for that video..

I've been inngermany and did not get to see with the SEA or SFO game.. Now I can see how good our O took SFO apart.

Pretty impressive. Just maybe this team will win. Afew more games than I thought..

My biggest concern was not Manning knowing what he needed to do but the supporting cast being tuned into him.. Also had some concern about the OL in pass protect. But SFO and SEA both had a damned fine defense last year..

If they we're really trying to win while they were in then maybe we will be much better.

Das is gott.

what was your W/L prediction?

I started with 9-7 and AFC West title, but I do not see how S.D. Oakland or KC are going to beat Denver. I think I'm going to bump it to 10-6 and AFC Title.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 04:37 AM
The guy just looks so smooth in the pocket. Always scanning the field in his dropback, sidestepping the rush or moving around in the pocket.

Just an unbelieveable awareness of when to get rid of the ball all while keeping his eyes moving across the field.

If our wideouts do their part then I think it's going to be a fun year for our defense as well.

I agree, did you see the player where he movesd up in the pocket very quickly only to stop and throw a dart? I think people are going to very surprised how good Denver is. I have been looking at predictions and 70% of the experts think Denver will not win the West 59% of the fans do.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-01-2012, 05:10 AM

I started with 9-7 and AFC West title, but I do not see how S.D. Oakland or KC are going to beat Denver. I think I'm going to bump it to 10-6 and AFC Title.

Mine was 9-7 as well, but I just don't see us losing to SD or Oakland. KC is going to be a tough out this year, so I could see us losing at Arrowhead.

I think 10-6 or 11-5 is more in line with where we'll end up.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 05:24 AM

6-10 based on this years schedule, the changes in personnel, fine tuning the O and getting JDR and his scheme working well..

The games before the bye are brutal and knowing that manning etal still have loads of work do, I doubted they would have been this far along.. Still think the winks and nods that made PM almost unstoppable as a Colt will take time with all other newbies..

I also thought we had not done enough to get real DL guys in and working was not thinking Warren would be the force he seems to be..

Looking more like a 9 maybe 10 win season, with some luck,..
Remember many of those games we won last year the other teams were not only looking past us but in some cases laughing at us till they got beat.. However later in the year they seemed to know how to beat our O and despite Tebows late game heroics we lost games.

Plus the D was pretty much done.

IMO winning the division and beating PIT were flukes and that wil come back to haunt us this year..

NOBODY will look past us this year because of Manning. and we have loads of fine tuning to do plus our depth past the first man down sucks.

Hopefully we can find a couple of waiver wire guys to build that depth. But then we pick #25 after lots of other teams for players with less than 4 years and frankly I do not think we should be getting any of them as we are very young AGAIN.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Mine was 9-7 as well, but I just don't see us losing to SD or Oakland. KC is going to be a tough out this year, so I could see us losing at Arrowhead.

I think 10-6 or 11-5 is more in line with where we'll end up.

Off of KCs preseason not sure they wil beat anyone that has warm bodies playing..

I know that it is just preseason but looks bad for that team although they have loads of talent.

OAK maybe still be a disaster zone bu they will find a way to play us tough..

San has Rivers who is a damned fine QB. Not sure who he will throw to
But ahead seems to find a way..but he is coached by Noorv so probably a split.
With them also..

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Off of KCs preseason not sure they wil beat anyone that has warm bodies playing..

I know that it is just preseason but looks bad for that team although they have loads of talent.

OAK maybe still be a disaster zone bu they will find a way to play us tough..

San has Rivers who is a damned fine QB. Not sure who he will throw to
But ahead seems to find a way..but he is coached by Noorv so probably a split.
With them also..

It seems all the experts are picking KC to win the division. I find that strange but they love the Chef's rnning game and defense.

fontaine
09-01-2012, 05:49 AM
I agree, did you see the player where he movesd up in the pocket very quickly only to stop and throw a dart? I think people are going to very surprised how good Denver is. I have been looking at predictions and 70% of the experts think Denver will not win the West 59% of the fans do.

Well, I get that. KC has a lot of depth and quality among their front 7 and skill positions but that didn't stop Matt Cassel before from being the stumbling block.

Manning just has to stay healthy because you know every DC is going to try and hit him hard. I'm loving the fact that no one is talking about our defense which is going to surprise a lot of people.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 05:54 AM
It seems all the experts are picking KC to win the division. I find that strange but they love the Chef's rnning game and defense.

Well they have the horses on both sides of the LOS. and they very well could have enough to win the Davison since they do not have quite our schedule But Then not sure they have the coaching to do it..

If al they do is run the ball that can be shut down. If cassel gets hot and he showed during the PATs run he could we could have a problem..

Victor
09-01-2012, 06:21 AM
That was cool...thanks for posting. Thoughts about Manning:

1. He's no Tebow...and I mean that in a very good way. What a difference in throwing ability, anticipation, accuracy, etc. I realize that this isn't original thought, but watching throw after throw from Manning induced flashbacks to last year when Tebow would struggle with the passing game. Amazing upgrade here.
2. Lance Ball was targeted a lot. I saw folks pissed that Ball made the team, but he caught everything that Manning threw his way, and he seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He might not get much YAC, but it looks like he'll be a major part of the offense.
3. McGahee only caught one pass in the preseason.
4. Didn't see any long TD's to the wide receivers this preseason. When I think back to Manning and the Colts he was forever hitting Harrison and Wayne with TD passes. Hopefully we see a pickup in the deep throwing when the real games begin. We saw lots and lots of dump off passes this preseason.

Let the games begin. I think that this Manning fellow has some potential.

Victor
09-01-2012, 06:28 AM

1. He's no Tebow...and I mean that in a very good way. What a difference in throwing ability, anticipation, accuracy, etc. I realize that this isn't original thought, but watching throw after throw from Manning induced flashbacks to last year when Tebow would struggle with the passing game. Amazing upgrade here.
2. Lance Ball was targeted a lot. I saw folks pissed that Ball made the team, but he caught everything that Manning threw his way, and he seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He might not get much YAC, but it looks like he'll be a major part of the offense.
4. Didn't see any long TD's to the wide receivers this preseason. When I think back to Manning and the Colts he was forever hitting Harrison and Wayne with TD passes. Hopefully we see a pickup in the deep throwing when the real games begin. We saw lots and lots of dump off passes this preseason.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 07:31 AM

Yep manning is not tebow. Glad you noticed.

Ball IIRC played with Manning in INDY so thre is a connection there.

As for lots of TD passes in Indy. Lots of them were made on YAC. The receivers being extremely good at getting it.

Plus they had years to practice those winks and nods that manning had with those players to let them know what to do without being verbal about it many of those being deviations of what was called when manning saw the coverage.

I suspect it takes more than three preseason games to get that.

Smilin Assassin
09-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Another thing I noticed was the protection. The O-line looked great. Combined w/Peyton's quick release, McGahee's running and the nice blitz pick-ups by the backs in the preseason, I'm going to predict our lowest sack-allowance since the Zimmerman years.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Another thing I noticed was the protection. The O-line looked great. Combined w/Peyton's quick release, McGahee's running and the nice blitz pick-ups by the backs in the preseason, I'm going to predict our lowest sack-allowance since the Zimmerman years.

Before everyone goes gaga remember it is preseason. Very vanilla defenses.

Let's revisit this concept about game 3-6.

Smilin Assassin
09-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Not going 'gaga', but I am optimistic watching the clip.

Teams always run somewhat vanilla D's in preseason, but our oline in recent yrs has not always looked as good in preseason pass protection.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Not going 'gaga', but I am optimistic watching the clip.

Teams always run somewhat vanilla D's in preseason, but our oline in recent yrs has not always looked as good in preseason pass protection.

Ah but many are.

Almost every season I see threads telling everyone that all is good then the regular season starts and even 5-6 games into it and by then DCs have film and figure out a way to defend it.

I just want to remind somewhat are GaGa right now all we have seen so far is preseason vanilla play books. And loads of players that may not be in the NFL after today noon time.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Ah but many are.

Almost every season I see threads telling everyone that all is good then the regular season starts and even 5-6 games into it and by then DCs have film and figure out a way to defend it.

I just want to remind somewhat are GaGa right now all we have seen so far is preseason vanilla play books. And loads of players that may not be in the NFL after today noon time.

Are you really implying that Peyton Manning, the most cerebral QB in the history of the NFL, is suddenly going to be confused by these Non "vanilla defenses?"

Also, read up on some statistics about schedule difficulty. It doesnt translate. Theres too much turnover year to year in the NFL

lonestar
09-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Are you really implying that Peyton Manning, the most cerebral QB in the history of the NFL, is suddenly going to be confused by these Non "vanilla defenses?"

Also, read up on some statistics about schedule difficulty. It doesnt translate. Theres too much turnover year to year in the NFL

Just saying that the rest of thenteammthatndoe not know this offense or have the timing down at like PM does might have some problem.

As for the SOS yes loads of turnover but those teams on the schedule are perineal powers not fly by night teams. All with top notch coaching staffs. No slouches in the group save perhaps CIN but they have been on the cusp for several years but the rest have been great teams for decades..

Bmore Manning
09-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Yep manning is not tebow. Glad you noticed.

Ball IIRC played with Manning in INDY so thre is a connection there.

As for lots of TD passes in Indy. Lots of them were made on YAC. The receivers being extremely good at getting it.

Plus they had years to practice those winks and nods that manning had with those players to let them know what to do without being verbal about it many of those being deviations of what was called when manning saw the coverage.

I suspect it takes more than three preseason games to get that.

There was no Ball and Manning connection .
Most of Indys receivers scored on YAC? Victor Cruise style? That's funny!
Peyton won't show his deep ball until the regular season.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 09:17 AM
There was no Ball and Manning connection .
Most of Indys receivers scored on YAC? Victor Cruise style? That's funny!
Peyton won't show his deep ball until the regular season.

Not so says

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Lance-Ball/1013be27-ec3e-4deb-b885-4903d6763563

He was on the Indy team with PM. Had a connection in practice or so said my source.

As far as PM receivers you are Saying that they did not get YAC TD's that all of his TDs were thrown to players already in the ENDZONE. That I know is not true. ..

Harrison was known for getting hit in stride and breaking tackles to get into the EZ. Same for Wayne and #44.

some times your full of it.

2KBack
09-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Just saying that the rest of thenteammthatndoe not know this offense or have the timing down at like PM does might have some problem.

As for the SOS yes loads of turnover but those teams on the schedule are perineal powers not fly by night teams. All with top notch coaching staffs. No slouches in the group save perhaps CIN but they have been on the cusp for several years but the rest have been great teams for decades..

Great teams for decades? Are you serious? We just finished beating Pittsburgh, Houston broke .500 for the first time in history last season. SD, Oak and KC were all looking up at Denver last season. We beat Cincy last year with Orton at QB...Carolina was a vicious 6-10 last year, Tampa was 4-12, and we play the Browns. That is 12 games right there of team we have beaten recently, or are not exactly perennial contenders.

Where is the schedule filled with these multiple decade dynasties? Yeah, we have same good teams on the schedule, but nothing as ridiculous as you make it sound.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Great teams for decades? Are you serious? We just finished beating Pittsburgh, Houston broke .500 for the first time in history last season. SD, Oak and KC were all looking up at Denver last season. We beat Cincy last year with Orton at QB...Carolina was a vicious 6-10 last year, Tampa was 4-12, and we play the Browns. That is 12 games right there of team we have beaten recently, or are not exactly perennial contenders.

Where is the schedule filled with these multiple decade dynasties? Yeah, we have same good teams on the schedule, but nothing as ridiculous as you make it sound.

PIT, BAL, NO, NE and other than Not being above to beat IND HOU has had a damned fine team but then how many teams beat PM in the regular season. ATL is a good to great team

Yes we beat CIN but watch out for this year they will not have a rookie QB this time..

If you think that SAN, OAK and KC are going to be push overs I think your in for a huge surprise..

You seem to forget the ass lickings a lot of these teams have given us over the past few years..

The only salvation we have are all the newbies on the team have not endured them.

So you do not have to worry about the schedule since it is easy but I will.

2KBack
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM
PIT, BAL, NO, NE and other than Not being above to beat IND HOU has had a damned fine team but then how many teams beat PM in the regular season. ATL is a good to great team

Yes we beat CIN but watch out for this year they will not have a rookie QB this time..

If you think that SAN, OAK and KC are going to be push overs I think your in for a huge surprise..

You seem to forget the ass lickings a lot of these teams have given us over the past few years..

The only salvation we have are all the newbies on the team have not endured them.

So you do not have to worry about the schedule since it is easy but I will.

...and there is the crux of your problem. You are basing all your unease on games long past. Apparently also on comedic hyperbole.

Speaking of comedy..."Ass lickings?"

lonestar
09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
...and there is the crux of your problem. You are basing all your unease on games long past. Apparently also on comedic hyperbole.

Speaking of comedy..."Ass lickings?"

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Sorry about the kicking/licking. Ks and Ls next to each other. The German spell checker loves to change words even if I got it right to start with. So who knows if it was me or it.

gyldenlove
09-01-2012, 01:50 PM

The O-line looked the same to me, the difference being that Manning has a very good feel for when to move and where to move to, on several plays you see him end up completely outside the pocket because he notices its collapsing and then he steps up or to the side while still keeping his eyes down field. In those situations Orton just turtled up and Tebow took off running several times right into one of the blockers or a defender.

Manning reminds me a lot of Cutler in his ability to move around in the pocket and avoid sacks without having to run - that season we had Cutler when he only took 8 sacks or something ridiculous like that was the same, he was sliding and moving.

errand
09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Very vanilla offenses as well....

I like our chances with Manning

errand
09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Lance Ball played in one game in '08 for the Colts (vs. titans)...he did not catch a pass from Manning in that game...Jim Sorgi took over after Manning went 7-7 with a TD

Ball did however lead the Colts in rushing with 13 carries for 83 yards (6.4 ypa) in the Colt's 23-0 victory

jutang
09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Ball is really consistent catching the ball. He just never makes the first person miss. Consistent but not sexy. I can see why the coaches kept him on the roster.

Tamme really needs to stop dropping the ball. At that pace, Green or Thomas are going get some serious looks once they are reinstated or healthy.

This offense is going blow some teams out of the water by the end of the first quarter. Every play action led to a significant completion. Along as Mcgahee stays healthy, this is one of the most balanced offenses in the NFL.

I haven't been this excited to see the broncos kick some ass in a long time.

Simply Red
09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
he's good, no question. You guys are lucky.

Crushaholic
09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
That clip showed me his arm strength getting better, from game to game. Early on, it was mostly dinks and dunks. By the 3rd and 4th game, the longer passes were showing up. That's good to see...