PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Cut Hanie

Mogulseeker
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_21443535/its-time-broncos-qb-caleb-hanie-hit-pavement

---

I was partial to keeping him around for his experience, and he is certainly the 2nd best QB on the roster, but is he good enough to win us any games if Peyton goes down?

Here's a good quote from the article:

If honest, even Broncomaniacs who hold a grudge against former coach Josh McDaniels would have to admit: Running back Knowshon Moreno is a better football player than Hanie. At age 36, linebacker Keith Brooking is a health risk. But with five appearances in the Pro Bowl, his resume trumps anything Hanie has done in the NFL.

bronco militia
08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
from IAOFM:

1:05pm ET - FWIW, Mark Kiszla can't see Denver keeping Caleb Hanie over Knowshon Moreno, Keith Brooking, or Malik Jackson. What Brooking's Pro Bowl selections - the last of which came after the 2005 season - have anything to do with this theoretical dilemma is beyond us.

Tombstone RJ
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm leaning toward cutting Hanie and just going with Twilight. This will give Twilla all the remaining snaps in practice and he can follow Manning around like a kitten follows a leaky cow. If Manning goes down and the Broncos absolutely don't want to play Twilla then they can always pick up a journeyman QB like Hanie or whoever. It's not like Hanie is gonna be on another team.

menonite
08-31-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm leaning toward cutting Hanie and just going with Twilight. This will give Twilla all the remaining snaps in practice and he can follow Manning around like a kitten follows a leaky cow. If Manning goes down and the Broncos absolutely don't want to play Twilla then they can always pick up a journeyman QB like Hanie or whoever. It's not like Hanie is gonna be on another team.

I agree with this. If Manning goes down, the season is over. Hanie couldn't save the Bears, and I don't think he would do any better here.

If you are going to spend a second round pick on a developmental QB you may as well chuck him in the fire.

Bacchus
08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree with this. If Manning goes down, the season is over. Hanie couldn't save the Bears, and I don't think he would do any better here.

If you are going to spend a second round pick on a developmental QB you may as well chuck him in the fire.

It is not over if Manning goes down for a half or two games or whatever. Denver needs to find a back up that can win a couple of games in a pinch.

Lolad
08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
We need the room for other positions cut Hanie, there is no plan B!

uplink
08-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Many of the cut QBs could be a better choice than Hannie. Brock could be the primary backup until the new QB picks up the basics of the offense.

DarkHorse
08-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Weber is head and shoulders better than Hanie, I can't see any reason not to cut Hanie

uplink
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Many of the cut QBs could be a better choice than Hannie. Brock could be the primary backup until the new QB picks up the basics of the offense.

ludo21
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
To me it isnt that Hanie so terrible that I would cut him (he is), rather too much depth at other positions i would rather keep.

Bronco Rob
08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
from IAOFM:

1:05pm ET - FWIW, Mark Kiszla can't see Denver keeping Caleb Hanie over Knowshon Moreno, Keith Brooking, or Malik Jackson. What Brooking's Pro Bowl selections - the last of which came after the 2005 season - have anything to do with this theoretical dilemma is beyond us.

bronco militia You're taking way more than a word or two, and this approaches infringing on my work. I'm glad to have other Broncos fans enjoying the articles, but the reality is that you have to come to our site to read them. Anything else is less than appropriate (and less than legal). If you want to borrow a couple of words and add your own content, that's fine, as long as you attribute it. Taking this much of my piece without my permission and posting it verbatim is NOT acceptable behavior and borders on plagiarism. I'd hate to have a beef with you, so please cease and desist on taking that much of my work without my permission.

manchambo
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
My concern with cutting Hanie is this. If Peyton goes out for a couple of games and Osweiler fills in it will be fine, and maybe even good for the kid. If on the other hand Peyton is knocked out for the season, the whole season goes down the tubes, and Osweiler is thrown in there to take the heat for it, it could seriously impede his development. I'd much prefer see Hanie take that hit and let Osweiler have a full season to develop without playing.

jerseyboiler120
08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Weber has played better than Hanie, but keeping Hanie protects Brock from mhaving to be thrown to the wolves if the unthinkable happens. If Hanie's cut, the only way to keep Brock from getting tossed into the fire would be to send in Weber. But that would knock Brock's confidence more than if he was thrown in and failed, IMHO. Why not cut Weber?

bronco militia
08-31-2012, 04:32 PM

Eat **** bronco rob..I posted the source and put it in italics. Doc bear or tj can PM me personaly if they have problem. What you did was closer to plagerism.

Lolad
08-31-2012, 05:00 PM
My concern with cutting Hanie is this. If Peyton goes out for a couple of games and Osweiler fills in it will be fine, and maybe even good for the kid. If on the other hand Peyton is knocked out for the season, the whole season goes down the tubes, and Osweiler is thrown in there to take the heat for it, it could seriously impede his development. I'd much prefer see Hanie take that hit and let Osweiler have a full season to develop without playing.

There is no plan B!

uplink
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/31/vikings-cut-sage-rosenfels-leaving-a-green-qb-room-behind/

Should replace Hannie with Rosenfels or McNown (cut by Bears), if they want a decent vet QB at #2 instead of Brock.

Victor
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Elway cited Hanie's "experience" as a reason to keep him...what, his experience at sucking? What is wrong with a capable backup?

Simply Red
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Eat **** bronco rob..I posted the source and put it in italics. Doc bear or tj can PM me personaly if they have problem. What you did was closer to plagerism.

http://i45.tinypic.com/17cv7p.jpg

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 12:50 AM

Funny he would call you out when he is Mr. Cut n Paste this side of Dragondawg.

broncolife
09-01-2012, 01:03 AM
We are keeping Haine so our Defense can practice Ints

uplink
09-01-2012, 02:55 AM
We are keeping Haine so our Defense can practice Ints

Or keeping him so Brock can pass someone up to earn the #2 spot eventually