PDA

View Full Version : team better with a few criminals, says former ND running back

Gort
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
does anyone here agree with this? at the college or NFL levels??

"I've always felt like, to have a successful team, you gotta have a few bad citizens on the team," Pinkett told the show. "I mean, that's how Ohio State used to win all the time. They would have two or three guys that were criminals. That just adds to the chemistry of the team. I think Notre Dame is growing because maybe they have some guys that are doing something worthy of a suspension, which creates edge on the football team. You can't have a football team full of choir boys. You get your butt kicked if you have a team full of choir boys. You gotta have a little bit of edge, but the coach has to be the dictator and ultimate ruler."

he may have a point... even if they're not actual felons, there is something to be said for having a couple of guys on the field that nobody wants to piss off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/notre-dame-radio-analysts-says-criminals-key-football-194801647--ncaaf.html;_ylt=An9n_yDnGVnFNRhS4RmpfuHYupV4;_ylu= X3oDMTFlNmVrNTNjBG1pdANTdXBlciBCbG9nIEluZGV4BHBvcw M4MQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFlamZvM2ZlBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
obviously, the Raiders need more criminals.

Kaylore
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's the truth. Every team has someone doing something they probably shouldn't. Statistically you aren't going to have every player Mormon-clean. That means on every good team there are some rough characters and on every average team and bad team there are too. The good teams don't let those off the field things distract them. It's just like at any other job. I have had coworkers that did some illegal stuff. But they came in on time and did their job. You don't "need" criminals on your team any more than you need boyscouts. You need talented, hard working people that keep distractions out of the locker room.

Gort
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
obviously, the Raiders need more criminals.

maybe, this helps to explain some of Shanny's draft picks and FA acquisitions toward the end of his tenure here. maybe he was already on board with this "theory".

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/04/maurice_clarett.jpg

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Nate-Webster.jpg

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/19/2007/12/04/320x240/travishenry.jpg

errand
08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I think attitude is important, and having a nasty disposition would make for a more intimidating team...but all this ass clown is trying to do is make excuses for those thug players that should be in county lock-up instead of on the practice field.

DENVERDUI55
08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
We should be good then we have a few and seem to have more than most.

Smiling Assassin27
08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Criminals do not add to team chemistry, because team chemistry is forged OFF the field as well as on the field. Dude's analysis has always been shallow and weak, so no big loss if they dump him.

menonite
08-30-2012, 01:00 PM
If you are a known criminal it probably means you got caught. Which means you are likely stupid or sloppy. Stupidity is rarely advantageous.

The smart players are the ones who are nasty and vicious and are clever and cautious enough to avoid getting busted. That's what a team needs.

Jay3
08-30-2012, 01:04 PM
He's totally wrong. The best team would be a team of hard-working, tough, talented players who want to win more than they want anything else.

The notion that the two choices are "criminal" and "choir boy" is a joke. Or "bad citizen?"

Tough guys, guys that would make good criminals, also channel that into being soldiers, cops, firefighters, all sorts of things. The number one characteristic of a "criminal" or "bad citizen" is selfishness -- a guy that just doesn't get he's supposed to be delaying his own gratification for the good of the team. Whereas soldiers put their energies into the mission of the unit. Those are the players you need.

HILife
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
You need talent on the field to win, not in suspension.

Play2win
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
The NFL– a good percentage of the whole lot, are criminals, just most haven't been caught yet ;D

Play2win
08-30-2012, 01:24 PM
In more ways than one, they are the modern day gladiators, except, you know... the money thing.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I think there's a fine line that a team has to walk when it comes to questionable characters on the team. If they don't cause an unecessary distraction by doing things like raping women then it's probably cool to have them around, just for the edge they bring. Otherwise, I agree, you just need talented, motivated players who will do what it takes to win games.

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
When i heard this guy say this and read it... I CAME away with what he meant was mentality, like a Ray Lewis type player... Like previously mentioned someone you just dont want to piss off.

What popped in my head was the late 80's early 90's Miami Hurricane teams... None of those guys were convicted criminals(or else they would not have been playing and been in jail) but they had the mentality and attitude..

menonite
08-30-2012, 02:06 PM
In more ways than one, they are the modern day gladiators

"Tebow Thrown to the Lions"

http://i.imgur.com/XbUQz.jpg

Or "throwing to" since he threw an interception to Chris Houston on a 100 yard pick six in that game.

ludo21
08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
You can't say this kind of stuff in this day and age

broncosteven
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
This broke yesterday on AM1000 here in Chicago and that was all they talked about yesterday.

I think he said he wants some tough guys to set an attitude in the locker room but not sure you need actual criminals to do it.

I do think Shanny thought so or else he wouldn't have brought in some of the guys he did.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, if you accept everybody, the talent pool is a lot larger. Criminals dont make good football players, and conversely having a lot of criminals doesn't make a good football team.

Aftermath
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Its true. All the good teams are filled with thugs and criminals. NCAA football is a joke. The real question here is: why is this even a story or a thread for that matter? Who the f$*k cares?

Requiem
08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
That's why we drafted MethWolfe. Shards!

ColoradoDarin
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Criminals? No.

Romanowskis? Yes.

Which I think was the point.

jerseyboiler120
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Criminals? No.

Romanowskis? Yes.

Which I think was the point.

Well put ColoradoDarin.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I think the point is partially correct. I mean not criminals, but every team needs nasty players with bad dispositions. You don't need a team of dumb criminals but you need guys with a nasty demeanor.

That is still something I don't see on our roster. Last time I saw it from a prominent player was with Romo

Fight_On!
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Notre Dame can't compete in today's Div 1 football. It needs to join a conference or just be happy with making it's annual beat down by Southern Cal it's personal bowl game.

extralife
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
"edge" use to mean an attitude on the field. we're supposed to buy into the idea that "edge" now means "get drunk, hit someone, then get arrested for a DUI and force the coach to come up with a good excuse to keep you on the team"? give me a ****ing break. doing the kinds of crap this guy is talking about makes you an idiot and a tool, not an "edgy football player." the actual badasses this putz wants to pretend he is lionizing don't need to say or do **** off the field.

errand
08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
When i heard this guy say this and read it... I CAME away with what he meant was mentality, like a Ray Lewis type player... Like previously mentioned someone you just dont want to piss off.

What popped in my head was the late 80's early 90's Miami Hurricane teams... None of those guys were convicted criminals(or else they would not have been playing and been in jail) but they had the mentality and attitude..

Yes...just like Ray Lewis...the result of some other guys pissing Ray Lewis off.

errand
08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Bob Eucker in Major League -

"Clu Haywood is a convicted felon ain't he?

Color guy - "Ummm, it doesn't say...."

Eucker - "Well he should be...."