PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio brings new attitude and stability to Broncos defense

dragondawg
08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Broncos fans have heard the same rhetoric for seven consecutive years.

“You’re going to hear every defensive coordinator talk about being aggressive because that’s what we’re all looking for,” said Denver’s newest defensive coordinator, Jack Del Rio, the seventh man to wear that job title since 2006. “Aggressive has nothing to do with scheme; it has to do with the mentality you play with. It has to do with a mindset you approach tough moments with and your ability to perform in critical situations.”

Call it mindset, scheme or lack of talent; the Broncos should have installed a revolving door to the defensive coordinators office the moment Larry Coyer was fired. And there’s been plenty of speculation the wheels are greased for Del Rio to push his way out of Denver after this season, as he figures to be a hot coaching prospect. Yet he isn’t in a hurry to leave the job he’s barely started.

“Because I was a head coach for nine years, I’m not obsessed with being a head coach again,” Del Rio explained. “I’m not obsessed with moving on. If it ever happens, great. But I’m really trying to be in the moment.”

The moment is best embodied by a guy who won’t play this season. Journeyman Jason Hunter was Del Rio’s type of guy before he tore his triceps in training camp.

Best known for being stabbed in Detroit in 2011, Hunter embraced Del Rio’s words and aggressively moved up the depth chart, replacing former first-round pick Robert Ayers at defensive end. Hunter played with a passion rarely seen in recent years and set the standard for what Del Rio wants this season.

“The guys who approach it that way are going to play more,” the defensive coordinator said. “The guys who don’t approach it that way are going to have a tough time staying here for long because that’s what we’re building. We’re going to keep pushing for it, keep demanding it, and keep rewarding those that give it to us and make life difficult for those that don’t.”

It’s been difficult for Ayers, but Del Rio makes no apologies, nor should he. His résumé is impressive.

A rugged linebacker during his 11-year NFL career and standing 6-foot-4, he can go eye to eye and toe to toe with any player on the Broncos roster. He’s made a career of talking tough, backing it up and getting results, though he never thought it would happen when he retired before the 1996 season.

“I never thought about coaching when I was playing, never when I was playing,” he said. “I looked at the hours the coaches work and I said, ‘There’s no way I’m doing that.’ But as I got older, I realized I love the game too much to be away from it.”

“Then, Tony Dungy called me and asked me how I was doing and took me to lunch. He said. ‘Are you happy?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, I’m happy.’ He said, ‘Are you really happy?’ and I said, ‘No, I’m miserable.’ He said, ‘I think you’d be a great coach and I think you ought to pursue this.’ So he invited me down to the Senior Bowl and next thing you know Mike Ditka gave me an opportunity in 1996 with the Saints.”

Del Rio’s didn’t start to get noticed until he was the Ravens linebackers coach the year they won Super Bowl XXXV. He parlayed his success into joining John Fox as the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator in 2002 – taking the 31st ranked defense to No. 2 in one season.

Del Rio was on the map and the Jacksonville Jaguars hired him as their head coach in 2003, where he stayed until last season.

Now, he’s back with the man who gave him his first big break as a coordinator. They only spent one year together, and Fox would like to make sure it isn’t another one and done.

Success breeds opportunity, so they’ll be a host of suitors if Del Rio turns around the Broncos defense. He’ll be a wanted man. But after talking to him, I’m not so sure he’ll want out right away. If the Broncos are going to lose a coordinator after this season, the smart money is on Mike McCoy.

http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=12109

Lycan
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Good article, best defensive coordinator we've had in years. And it's not even close.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1456104/alberto-del-rio-wink-o.gif

Bacchus
08-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Well, lets wait and see the results. Ray Rhodes was a terrific Defensive coordinator when he came to Denver too. ugghh...........

Pick Six
08-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Good article, best defensive coordinator we've had in years. And it's not even close.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1456104/alberto-del-rio-wink-o.gif

Albertooooooo Dellllll RIOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

broncocalijohn
08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Dragondawg, the original Bronco Rob!

Simply Red
08-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Del Rio brings new attitude and stability to Broncos defensehttp://www.milehighsports.com/?p=12109

Too long - Didn't read.

So does Del Rio play for you all now? Last I heard he was a Dolphin.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Lets hope he figures out that being a professional coordinator can be rewarding also. Many have been to the top and have stepped back and stayed as coordinators with great success and I suspect satisfaction, the guy in Phily Jones IIRC, Phillips, the guy in PIT all come to mind. All extremely successful with Their defenses. Something I hope will happen here.

Not saying I want defense only but having a top ten D to go along with a Manning led offense could make for some really good years...

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 06:43 AM
he will be head coaching somewhere next year

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Maybe, maybe not. He's expressed displeasure with the politicking and nonsense that are required of the man in the big office.

He might want a couple of years out of the spotlight. Unless his dream job (probably the Cowboys or Vikings) opens, I think he'll stay for two years at least.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Maybe, maybe not. He's expressed displeasure with the politicking and nonsense that are required of the man in the big office.

He might want a couple of years out of the spotlight. Unless his dream job (probably the Cowboys or Vikings) opens, I think he'll stay for two years at least.

Not so sure either of those are or could e dream jobs.

Work for Jerry Jones there is not enough money in the world for me to do that..

As for MIN. Do not think I'd want to go there either..

DENVERDUI55
08-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Rumor has it he is going to turn the DL loose.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2012, 07:53 AM

He played in both places, and played under Jerry Jones. He loved being a Cowboy.

They may not be your dream jobs. Doesn't mean they're not his.

Smiling Assassin27
08-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Like clockwork, another poof piece about the next defensive coordinator. Hell, I'm sure we saw a piece like this about Bob Slowik. See, now is the time that hope springs eternal for all NFL teams (yes, even the raiders). I know Del Rio has put together some quality defenses, but all those are meaningless now. Do it with this crew. EVERY defensive coordinator says 'we're gonna turn 'em loose' and 'we will be aggressive'. Let's get this m-f'er started and see where the chips fall.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Who knows how long Del Rio will be around, it probably depends on a few different things like how much he's enjoying his current job and living in Denver. He may not feel like being a HC is really worth all the hassel. Dick LeBeau (sp?) is a good example of a guy who gave the HC job a try and then went back to being a dcoordinator and has never left. Of course, he's a steelers guy anyway so that has something to do with it.

Bacchus
08-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I agree. Maybe Denver can offer him a big raise and an Assistant coaches title to keep him around. McCoy will probably be gone as well.

ludo21
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
He will be a miracle worker if he can cover up our woeful WLB spot.

Kaylore
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Jack's son Luke is playing QB at Valor High School. He won't graduate until next year, so that may keep him here a bit longer.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Jack's son Luke is playing QB at Valor High School. He won't graduate until next year, so that may keep him here a bit longer.

He's a senior and has already commited to Oklahoma State.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/31/luke-del-rio-commits-play-quarterback-oklahoma-state/13825/

gyldenlove
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/31/luke-del-rio-commits-play-quarterback-oklahoma-state/13825/

Well that works out, until OK gets a football team we can keep Jack then...

Kaylore
08-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Right, so he would graduate next year. If he were to get hired by a pro-team, he'd have to move when our season is over in February. I know football is done, but I doubt he'd yank his son his graduating year. I suppose he could leave him for a few months to finish school and then bail, but I honestly think Del Rio is here for two years at least.

The guy who is going to be a head coach next season is McCoy. Bank on it.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Right, so he would graduate next year. If he were to get hired by a pro-team, he'd have to move when our season is over in February. I know football is done, but I doubt he'd yank his son his graduating year. I suppose he could leave him for a few months to finish school and then bail, but I honestly think Del Rio is here for two years at least.

play this out in your head...why would he move his kid for 3-4 months of school during his snior year?

GoHAM
08-30-2012, 09:44 AM
There is also the possibility of his kid graduating high school in December, and being an early enrollee at Oklahoma St.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Hell, if I got $2 million to coach the Raiders - even in the Al Davis days - I'd take it.

JakeZ01
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I hope mccoy becomes a head coach in the afc west.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I hope mccoy becomes a head coach in the afc west.

no doubt

DenverBrit
08-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Well, lets wait and see the results. Ray Rhodes was a terrific Defensive coordinator when he came to Denver too. ugghh...........

RR was probably the biggest disappointment as expectations were high.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

Or in laymen's terms:

- Jack's son is here in Highlands Ranch until June.
- Jack's best offers would come in January-February, therefore Jack would have to leave hisson during an important transition time.

The nearest team to Stillwater is Dallas. That's probably the team that I would be most concerned about, considering location, Del Rio is a Cowboys vet, and Garrett is on the hot seat (at least he should be).

I dont see Jerry pulling the trigger on Garrett just yet. Minnesota seems unlikely given everything, and he snubbed KC. Other than that, I don't really see any other possibilites. San Diego, maybe?

Drek
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Not after how his time in Jacksonville ended.

Its not like Del Rio only had a few years to put something together. He had the better part of a decade. By the end rumors were circulating that he wasn't putting in nearly the amount of time that most HCs put in. He also threw his OC under the bus specifically during a post game presser.

Del Rio isn't getting another bite at the apple for at least a couple seasons. We'll see what his long term goals are after that, but his "I'm not actively seeking a HC job at this time" comment sounds A LOT like what Dick LeBeau always said after he left the Bengals and went back to the Steelers.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Not after how his time in Jacksonville ended.

Its not like Del Rio only had a few years to put something together. He had the better part of a decade. By the end rumors were circulating that he wasn't putting in nearly the amount of time that most HCs put in. He also threw his OC under the bus specifically during a post game presser.

Del Rio isn't getting another bite at the apple for at least a couple seasons. We'll see what his long term goals are after that, but his "I'm not actively seeking a HC job at this time" comment sounds A LOT like what Dick LeBeau always said after he left the Bengals and went back to the Steelers.

lol... whatever. (looks at John Fox and Jeff Fisher)

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
well, let me rephrase my prediction. If the broncos make the playoffs, there's no way in hell Del Rio is here next year.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
great so the Broncos will be losing both coordinators... fantastic.

Action
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
He will be a miracle worker if he can cover up our woeful WLB spot.

When DJ comes back that won't be a problem.

His son JUST enrolled in Denver HS too... for him to leave after a year would be shocking to me, unless the HS program is complete ass.

errand
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Too long - Didn't read.

So does Del Rio play for you all now? Last I heard he was a Dolphin.

Nope...he's our defensive coordinator...and he's probably like your boy Romeo...a better coordinator than head coach, however Del Rio actually won a few games and led his team to the playoffs as a head coach.

errand
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Rumors that Del Rio wasn't spending all day and night at the Jag's facilities might indicate that he's just at the point of his life where he wants to be able to enjoy life instead of climbing the corporate ladder. Maybe he's at the point in his life where family is going to come first....it happens sometimes. how many of us are of the same mindset the older we get?

His kid is about to graduate and go play college ball, and perhaps he wants to be able to spend time watching him play a few games (as the father of a college athlete, it makes a dad smile with pride to see "NCAA" on the outfield fence when attending her softball games).......or perhaps he's saved enough money, is happy where he is at this stage of his career and life and doesn't need or want the headaches head coaching brings.

And even if he does leave for a head coaching gig, why blame him if it's what he wants, after all isn't that why we all work hard...to improve our quality of life, earn a nice living and save up for retirement...not to mention to get promoted?

....I mean he doesn't whine that you left that fry cook position at Burger King to become a grill man at McDonald's does he?

menonite
08-30-2012, 12:21 PM

I think Fox and Fisher have better reputations as head coaches. They both had SB appearances. I can't remember if Del Rio ever beat the Colts or Titans to win the division. I may be mistaken about that though.

If the defense is absolutely dominant i can see him getting a second chance in the NFL. I think it would be more likely that he would either stay here or go to the college ranks as a HC. Anything can happen though.

Bacchus
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
great so the Broncos will be losing both coordinators... fantastic.

Well, they'll still have Manning.:thumbs:

lonestar
08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, they'll still have Manning.:thumbs:

Was thinking the same thing ..

Not so sure that Mc Coy will be calling the plays this year as much as Manning will be..

Evonne knows that TOm Moore only game planned along with PM and gave it to PM to execute and only when they saw something the D was doing did they call plays in..

Losingthe OC IMo would not be the end of the world.

errand
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
A few tidbits of info about Del Rio....(sorry if already posted elsewhere)

One of his high school teammates was former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu.

His college roommate was former NFL and CFL QB and current ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury.

He was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1981 but decided to attend USC instead.

He played catcher on the team that also had Mark McGwire and Randy Johnson on it.

And not really something to be proud of, however he held the NFL coaching record of longest tenure of any position without winning division title (over 8 years)

In January of 2010 he was offered the head coaching position at his alma mater of USC...he denied the report at first, then later blew the Trojans off by stating he would finish his contract out with the Jags...he was fired in November of 2011 with a career record of 70-75 (including 1-2 in playoffs)

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
A few tidbits of info about Del Rio....(sorry if already posted elsewhere)

One of his high school teammates was former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu.

His college roommate was former NFL and CFL QB and current ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury.

He was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1981 but decided to attend USC instead.

He played catcher on the team that also Mark McGwire and Randy Johnson on it.

And not really something to be proud of, however he held the NFL coaching record of longest tenure of any position without winning division title (over 8 years)

In January of 2010 he was offered the head coaching position at his alma mater of USC...he denied the report at first, then later blew the Trojans off by stating he would finish his contract out with the Jags...he was fired in November of 2011 with a career record of 70-75 (including 1-2 in playoffs)

Keep Chopping Wood
The mantra, introduced by Del Rio during the 2003 season, was intended to indicate how the team would slowly whittle away the huge obstacles in front of them. Del Rio placed a wooden stump and axe in the Jaguars locker room as a symbol of his rallying cry.

After his teammates had been taking swings at the wood with the axe, Punter Chris Hanson followed suit and seriously wounded his non-kicking foot. Hanson missed the remainder of the 2003 season, being replaced by Mark Royals.[13]

menonite
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RF2Ja.jpg

"I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter."

Drek
08-30-2012, 12:54 PM

And unlike both Fox and Fischer he....

1. Never won his division.
2. Never reached the Super Bowl.
3. Only won a single playoff game, that in the wild card round.
4. Only had three winning seasons in eight.
5. Only had two playoff appearances in 8 years.
6. Was the subject of rampant speculation about a lack of commitment his final year in Jacksonville.
7. Publicly threw his OC under the bus.

Yeah. Really similar HC tenure to those guys.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Rumors that Del Rio wasn't spending all day and night at the Jag's facilities might indicate that he's just at the point of his life where he wants to be able to enjoy life instead of climbing the corporate ladder. Maybe he's at the point in his life where family is going to come first....it happens sometimes. how many of us are of the same mindset the older we get?

His kid is about to graduate and go play college ball, and perhaps he wants to be able to spend time watching him play a few games (as the father of a college athlete, it makes a dad smile with pride to see "NCAA" on the outfield fence when attending her softball games).......or perhaps he's saved enough money, is happy where he is at this stage of his career and life and doesn't need or want the headaches head coaching brings.

And even if he does leave for a head coaching gig, why blame him if it's what he wants, after all isn't that why we all work hard...to improve our quality of life, earn a nice living and save up for retirement...not to mention to get promoted?

....I mean he doesn't whine that you left that fry cook position at Burger King to become a grill man at McDonald's does he?

This is a good post that will go over the heads of most fans here.

Many still think that climbing the ladder or that big money is everything..

Some may never get that even at the top all is not it is cracked up to be.. Nor will money buy happiness.

Sometimes spending time with family and friends is.

Only time and experience will prove that out for MOST fans. Some will never get it..

errand
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Keep Chopping Wood
The mantra, introduced by Del Rio during the 2003 season, was intended to indicate how the team would slowly whittle away the huge obstacles in front of them. Del Rio placed a wooden stump and axe in the Jaguars locker room as a symbol of his rallying cry.

After his teammates had been taking swings at the wood with the axe, Punter Chris Hanson followed suit and seriously wounded his non-kicking foot. Hanson missed the remainder of the 2003 season, being replaced by Mark Royals.[13]

Yeah, well...they can't all be gems...LOL

....then again we're talking about a punter.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
this is true...

idiot kicker!

lonestar
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM

6. Was the subject of rampant speculation about a lack of commitment his final year in Jacksonville.

Almost the same could have been said for tanahan his last decade.

Drek
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Exactly my point. If you look at the body of Del Rio's comments since leaving Jacksonville and coming here it paints a picture of a guy who got burnt out as a HC and is now more than happy to take a step back to a role he finds more enjoyable.

He might get the HC itch again some time soon, but given the lack of a sterling record at Jacksonville and his own potential preferences it seems really premature to speculate about his departure.

Drek
08-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Almost the same could have been said for tanahan his last decade.

And he'd just smile at you with those glass eyes and shine these:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zoneWIgZ1rp7m7bo1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zoneWIgZ1rp7m7bo2_500.jpg

menonite
08-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Money. That's what it's all about. if someone offers him enough cash, he will be gone. Do you think someone would would pass on millions of dollars because his kid just started high school? With the kind of cash he could make as a HC he could afford the best education for his kids, grandkids and almost half of Antonio Cromarti's children.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 01:10 PM
And he'd just smile at you with those glass eyes and shine these:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zoneWIgZ1rp7m7bo1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zoneWIgZ1rp7m7bo2_500.jpg

Not For Long.

That is old history and could not do squat without John as his QB,,TD as his RB, SS as his TE, ZIM and stink as his OL guys.

bronco militia
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM

he coached for 9 seasons at his first head coaching gig...he'll get another shot just like fox and fisher.

I predict he'll get that shot next year if the broncos make it to the playoffs.

DENVERDUI55
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Not For Long.

That is old history and could not do squat without John as his QB,,TD as his RB, SS as his TE, ZIM and stink as his OL guys.

Wade should get some credit for bringing a lot of the core in.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Wade should get some credit for bringing a lot of the core in.

No doubt about it

OH I forgot Eddie Mac and Rod who was already here. while they played longer than the rest the team was not nearly as potent with out our HOF group..

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Dont discount shanny's success Under Plummer. I remember how good the early to mid 2000 teams were.

SURE Shanny was never as good as he was with a HOF talent loaded team... but who would be...

lonestar
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Dont discount shanny's success Under Plummer. I remember how good the early to mid 2000 teams were.

SURE Shanny was never as good as he was with a HOF talent loaded team... but who would be...

How many playoff games did he win without John?

I liked Jake a lot. Felt he got a bad deal, but in the end Tanahan could not win late season games, nor could he win playoff games usually getting his ass kicked in fact even with those horses his team was not prepared to win in the JAX a startup team prior to the two ring years and on top of it all they got their asses kicked at MHS..

How many times did PM kick their ass in the first round.

Mikey won loads of games that did not matter and lost lots of one that did count..

errand
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Money. That's what it's all about. if someone offers him enough cash, he will be gone. Do you think someone would would pass on millions of dollars because his kid just started high school? With the kind of cash he could make as a HC he could afford the best education for his kids, grandkids and almost half of Antonio Cromarti's children.

He's earned plenty of money in his time as a player and coach...so unless you're his financial planner, you really have no idea what he's thinking anymore than we do

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM

I liked Jake a lot. Felt he got a bad deal, but in the end Tanahan could not win late season games, nor could he win playoff games usually getting his ass kicked in fact even with those horses his team was not prepared to win in the JAX a startup team prior to the two ring years and on top of it all they got their asses kicked at MHS..

Mikey won loads of games that did not matter and lost lots of one that did count..

Fair enough... but 2002-2006 i beleive is the years we wound up playing the colts ... that is when Peyton was a monster and i dont care who we had or didnt have, Peyton did and would have still destroyed us....

Now i hope 2012 Peyton has any of that magic left and plays like 1st quarter of the 49ners all year long

menonite
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
He's earned plenty of money in his time as a player and coach...so unless you're his financial planner, you really have no idea what he's thinking anymore than we do

As a mater of fact I am his financial planner. I says to him "Invest heavily in axes, blocks of wood, and three piece suits - the sharp dressed lumberjack look is gonna be huge this year!"

He took my advice and now he's your DC. You're welcome.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Fair enough... but 2002-2006 i beleive is the years we wound up playing the colts ... that is when Peyton was a monster and i dont care who we had or didnt have, Peyton did and would have still destroyed us....

Now i hope 2012 Peyton has any of that magic left and plays like 1st quarter of the 49ners all year long

I firmly believe that PM can be beat without blitzing LBs which is how he kicks your ass but you have to have a REAL DL and did Mikey ever have one.

NY beat him with p ressure from the front four. That is how we could have beat him.. But NO mikey had to have champ to cover his best WR the next year we got our asses handed to us again when PM went to the other WR and slot guy then he beat us with TE. Regardless of the DBs Skill if PM has 5-10 seconds he will find someone to hit..

The reason he kicked our ass no consistent pass rush..

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 02:19 PM
No doubt Shanny let Trevor Pryce walk, Bertrand Berry, Reggie Heyward... any talent we had on Dline.. he let go

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
As a mater of fact I am his financial planner. I says to him "Invest heavily in axes, blocks of wood, and three piece suits - the sharp dressed lumberjack look is gonna be huge this year!"

I gotta give a big thumbs up to this look. It works. :thumbs:

Denver Bronco56
we always seemed to have the other components of a good D.. Ian Gold, Al Wilson, John Mobley, DJ Williams(rookie year), Champ, John Lynch... but lacked the Dline

Bacchus

That's because he was in Manning's division!!!

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
No doubt Shanny let Trevor Pryce walk, Bertrand Berry, Reggie Heyward... any talent we had on Dline.. he let go

Montae Reagor...

lonestar
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM

For a master at beating defenses as a wizard OC he was clueless on how to build a team..

It is simple reverse engineering.

But the ass clown did not have a clue. Thought his LB group could save his ass..

Which it never did. Because he kept blitzing PM with various guys and PM just threw to that open guy.

Bacchus
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM

What do you think of investing in Pet Rocks? I think they are going to make a comeback.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Montae Reagor...

Played for INDY well for a few years..

But remember when he was cut/ traded it was because we had a decent DL albeit a really old one. So instead of keeping young legs he kept the old timers who had little left in the tank..
:thumbs:

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Played for INDY well for a few years..

But remember when he was cut/ traded it was because we had a decent DL albeit a really old one. So instead of keeping young legs he kept the old timers who had little left in the tank..
:thumbs:

Yah, he wasn't a big time DT but he was solid. He ended up going to the Colts and winning a championship with Manning. He played a total of like 9 years in the NFL and only 3 with the Broncos. Why Shanny just let guys like him walk is head scratching material.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Yah, he wasn't a big time DT but he was solid. He ended up going to the Colts and winning a championship with Manning. He played a total of like 9 years in the NFL and only 3 with the Broncos. Why Shanny just let guys like him walk is head scratching material.

Anything that Tanahan did in personnel matters IMO was head scratcher.

Bacchus
08-30-2012, 02:44 PM

If Fox and Fischer were coaching the Wads in Manning's division during Manning's peak years they too would have been hard pressed to win a division title too.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 02:53 PM

meh, whatever. He played in the same division as Manning and his starting QBs were a washed up Brunell, an underwhelming Leftwich and a pedestrian David Garrard. He won by playing smash mouth football, running the ball and playing solid defense.

Also, the Jags front office wasn't exactly known for drafting talent either. All things considered, I think Del Rio did ok with the hand he was delt.

jerseyboiler120
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think head coaching success equates in kind to coordinator success for the most part. In fact, I don't even think head coaching success/failure for one team predicts the same outcome for another. Look at hoodie-belly-boy. cleveland was atrocious with belli at the helm (perhaps he hadn't started illegally taping the opposing teams yet).

errand
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Mike is just like any other coach...if he has talent, he can win it all...when he doesn't he's looking very average.

No need to blast Mike's accomplishments...he was a very good head coach for the Broncos as Red Miller and Dan Reeves were. I'm not going to trash Miller to make Reeves look good or trash Reeves to praise Mike...

all three were very instrumental in making the Broncos relevant in the NFL ....with an assist going to Ralston (last season was a 9-5 season in '76) and Phillips (was stopgap between Reeves and Mike with one playoff appearance) for at least acquiring some of the talent these three guys were able to use to

win 306 combined games including playoffs

10 division titles

16 playoff appearances

8 AFCCG appearances

6 AFC conference championships

6 SB appearances

2 NFL titles

...in a total of 30 years.

jerseyboiler120
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Shanny's 3 year record in the peak years will always rank as one of the very best 3 year runs in NFL history. What was it, 46 W's and only 10 L's? 2 NFL Rings. There's a surprisingly low number of coaches who have won more than 1 SB, and the number really drops for back-to-back SB winners. Never should have given him total control; should have kept him as coach. The first half of the 2000s would have been different.

errand
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Shanny's 3 year record in the peak years will always rank as one of the very best 3 year runs in NFL history. What was it, 46 W's and only 10 L's? 2 NFL Rings.

Actually his 46 wins when you figure in his 7-1 playoff record over than 3 year span is the NFL standard for any consecutive 3 year period

errand
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think head coaching success equates in kind to coordinator success for the most part. In fact, I don't even think head coaching success/failure for one team predicts the same outcome for another. Look at hoodie-belly-boy. cleveland was atrocious with belli at the helm (perhaps he hadn't started illegally taping the opposing teams yet).

That's true...but some guys reach their terminal position of coordinator after they get HC jobs. Maybe the coaches coordinator's resume' was very good....however he ended up over his head as HC. When you look at the list of guys that were so called great coordinators but so-so HC's it's nothing to be embarrassed about

Ray Rhodes, Steve Mariucci, Jack Del Rio, Romeo Crennell, Wade Phillips, Greg Williams, Gary Kubiak, Greg Williams, Dick LeBeau, etc....just to name a few

jerseyboiler120
08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Actually his 46 wins when you figure in his 7-1 playoff record over than 3 year span is the NFL standard for any consecutive 3 year period

I was including the 7-1 playoff record. Not sure how many teams you've been watching, but hardly any of them win 46 games over 3 years. Certainly not the standard. I must be missing something.

errand
08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I was including the 7-1 playoff record. Not sure how many teams you've been watching, but hardly any of them win 46 games over 3 years. Certainly not the standard. I must be missing something.

By "the NFL standard" I was saying it was an NFL record...but whatever.