PDA

View Full Version : We Will have Replacement Ref's week 1

gunns
08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Announced. One article said it was no threat. No link, too busy.

razorwire77
08-29-2012, 01:26 PM
NFL is flirting with disaster here. Think about the Eddy Hoc Sandy Eggo call outrage and imagine that happening in 2 or 3 games in a single week. With the type of parody in the NFL 2 or 3 bad calls can be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.

From what I saw, these guys were all over the map. One game there would be 20 calls and ridiculously amateurish PI and holding calls. In other games, QB's were getting light up with no roughing called and receivers were getting mugged 20 yards down the field.

Marshall Dumervil
08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
NFL is flirting with disaster here. Think about the Eddy Hoc Sandy Eggo call outrage and imagine that happening in 2 or 3 games in a single week. With the type of parody in the NFL 2 or 3 bad calls can be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.

From what I saw, these guys were all over the map. One game there would be 20 calls and ridiculously amateurish PI and holding calls. In other games, QB's were getting light up with no roughing called and receivers were getting mugged 20 yards down the field.

It's going to be a disaster. Who will be the first team robbed of a win because of a terrible call late in the 4th? It's going to happen, it better not be to us.

pricejj
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
The Steelers have been taking advantage of the replacement refs during the entire preseason...often mugging WR's down the field.

And wouldn't you know, cheap shot Harrison will probably be playing. Looks like it's going to be a fight at Mile High.

menonite
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
The regular refs aren't worth a crap either. I've learned to just accept occasional sloppy officiating.

What I love is Mike Pereira slamming the replacement refs. remember his old segment on NFL Network? Every week he did his best to spin the screw ups his referees made. Sometimes he had legit explanations, but sometimes it was pretty clear he was just full of crap.

Bottom line: If the Steelers can take advantage of the replacement refs, then so can the Broncos.

Bacchus
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I hear the total disagreement comes to about $63,000 per team? Really, is that what this is all about. It's a $multibillion business but they are trying to stick it to the refs for such a small amount?

canadianbroncosfan
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000056100/article/nfl-tells-teams-to-expect-replacement-refs-in-week-1?module=HP11_headline_stack

Here you go gunns

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2012, 02:35 PM
it appears the NFL is banking on the current refs to get better as the season progresses. I bet if the lock out continues until midway through the season that these replacement officials will be on par with the ones locked out.

The longer this stalemate continues, the more bargaining power the NFL will have over the union. As another poster said, the current union refs are pretty lousy too. They are well paid for only working aproximately half the year, I believe they currently make over $300k a season right now but I might be wrong about that.

Kaylore
08-29-2012, 02:40 PM
The regular refs aren't worth a crap either. I've learned to just accept occasional sloppy officiating.

What I love is Mike Pereira slamming the replacement refs. remember his old segment on NFL Network? Every week he did his best to spin the screw ups his referees made. Sometimes he had legit explanations, but sometimes it was pretty clear he was just full of crap.

I do remember that. And yes, it was a bunch of crap.

lonestar
08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
it appears the NFL is banking on the current refs to get better as the season progresses. I bet if the lock out continues until midway through the season that these replacement officials will be on par with the ones locked out.

The longer this stalemate continues, the more bargaining power the NFL will have over the union. As another poster said, the current union refs are pretty lousy too. They are well paid for only working aproximately half the year, I believe they currently make over $300k a season right now but I might be wrong about that.

It is pretty much a full time job during the season. With all the travel and film study the guys do as well as going over with the league their errors.

300K for being a potential quadriplegic on any given play. Not sure I'd do it.

pricejj
08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Isn't this whole fight about guaranteed pension vs. 401k? Good luck zebras...welcome to America.

pricejj
08-29-2012, 02:56 PM
It is pretty much a full time job during the season. With all the travel and film study the guys do as well as going over with the league their errors.

Shoooooot. I'd do it for $100k, tell me where to sign.

Action
08-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Bottom line: If the Steelers can take advantage of the replacement refs, then so can the Broncos.

I take it you haven't watched much of the pre-season.

They're having trouble administering the time, down, yardage...basic things the "real" refs will usually never ever screw up, while now these refs can't get it right after pausing the game for a good 10 minutes.

See, Eli Manning and the Giants running a play with 0:00 left in the 1st quarter, after being ORDERED by the ref to do so.

This is on top of all the calls they have missed/made.

It's all fun and games in the pre-season, but once the Wins and Losses really start counting, these owners that suffer from the losses will put in the order to make it happen.

gyldenlove
08-29-2012, 03:35 PM

That bargaining power is lost as soon as ESPN, ABC and Fox sports start running clips of huge ref mistakes - especially if one such mistake costs a win for some team. This could turn into a PR nightmare, more and more of the commentators have been very critical of the replacements, a few players and coaches have come out against them as well, if it gets worse there will eventually be a LOT of noise.

Agamemnon
08-29-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm sorry, but when did a ref become a quadriplegic again? Dudes barely ever get touched. 300k for what they do? Hell yeah!

swaiy
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
****, as much as the refs get paid, I'd be happy putting the net up and down during field goals.

Agamemnon
08-29-2012, 03:51 PM
The NFL is unbelievable. They make billions of dollars every year and now want to undercut the pensions of their refs? Freaking crazy...

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
These refs called a touchback when the ball was downed at the 4 yard line. Had to take 5 minutes to review and realize downing the ball at the 4 doesn't mean it should be put on the 20.

These refs are ridiculous. The players know it. People watching them blatantly miss holding penalties know it. They swallow the flags so there isn't an questionable issue for them in case it goes wrong.

Id say by wed night opener it won't even be 2 quarters in before they blow an important call.

Play2win
08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
All things NFL is such a money-grab right now.

ludo21
08-29-2012, 03:55 PM
the replacements will do the same amount of crappiness across the league just as the regular refs do.

non story

oubronco
08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
It's going to be a disaster. Who will be the first team robbed of a win because of a terrible call late in the 4th? It's going to happen, it better not be to us.

Hopefully Pittsburgh in week one or New England :approve:

spdirty
08-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Here's to hoping Smith is being real and isn't just talking.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8313071/nflpa-executive-director-demaurice-smith-blasts-league-locking-refs

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith called the league's lockout of officials "absurd" and would not rule out a players strike.
In a recent interview with SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/28/smith/index.html?eref=twitter_feed), Smith cited widespread concerns over players' long-term health, claiming that replacement referees have created an environment that jeopardizes player safety.

"In America it is the employer's obligation to provide as safe a working environment as possible," Smith told the website. "We believe that if the National Football League fails in that obligation, we reserve the right to seek any relief that we believe is appropriate. The NFL has chosen to prevent the very officials that they have trained, championed and cultivated for decades to be on the field to protect players and -- by their own admission -- further our goal of enhanced safety. That is absurd on its face."

Despite receiving vocal support from commissioner Roger Goodell, replacement referees have been criticized throughout the preseason. Smith blamed the NFL for the impasse with the officials, claiming that the league has prioritized financial concerns over player safety.

Bacchus
08-29-2012, 04:40 PM

You are wrong, according to 2009 CNN..

A National Football League ref can make anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 a season, although since most of the games are on Sundays, they can also have other jobs during the week. (We'll get to those in a minute.)

that is 70,000 not $300,000. I read a top NFL 20 year official makes about $120,000

I also disagree with you on the refs getting better. the refs they have now are division 2 and lower. They are not going to get much better. There will be 6 or 7 horrible calls the first week and it will continue all year. Now whether the NFL buckles or not who knows.

broncogary
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Kind of like when the Pats were allowed to mug the Rams wr's in SB XXXVI. :pimp:

Swedish Extrovert
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Do you mean parity? I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say here.

NUB
08-30-2012, 01:38 AM
The NFL refs aren't perfect, but they at least manage the damn games.

This current lot is a damn disaster and it's gonna be a looney tunes special come week one.

Bacchus
08-30-2012, 02:17 AM
The NFL refs aren't perfect, but they at least manage the damn games.

This current lot is a damn disaster and it's gonna be a looney tunes special come week one.

I think the NFL refs are better than NBA officials and much better than major league baseball umpires.

Garcia Bronco
08-30-2012, 05:12 AM
WTF are the regular refs asking for from a billion dollar industry that the NFL can't afford?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2012, 05:17 AM
WTF are the regular refs asking for from a billion dollar industry that the NFL can't afford?

It's insane. These are the guys who manage the most popular form of American entertainment. They may not be perfect, but they are great at keeping the flow. It's not missed holding calls and PIs that concern me about the replacements. It's their lack of mastery of the rules and their inability to do things like mark off a penalty. Just wait till the regular season when the game is more complex. I have friends that are "financial analysts" that make 300k a year doing literally nothing. The nfl is picking the wrong battle here. Never do anything that cheapens your product when we are discussing something u can easily afford

TheReverend
08-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Good. I'll bet the new ones won't be so "on the take" for the Steelers, so this works out in our favor, imo.

Quoydogs
08-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Our local news showed a short clip of the ref's at last night patties vs Giants game last night. Anyways one of them screwed up bad and they said he went on out of control for like a minute. They only showed 15 seconds or so but it was pretty funny and a good look at what we are going to get when there is a bad call on the field. I checked the tube but can't find the clip. Anyone have it ??

Here are two crappy clips I found but there is more that this dude did not record

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ukTeiYuK1RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3itXqobVTPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2012, 07:54 AM
http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/08/27/everyone-knows-youre-horrible-nfl-replacement-refs-leave-a-lot-to-be-desired/

http://theelephantgun.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/replacement-ref.gif?w=660

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Our local news showed a short clip of the ref's at last night patties vs Giants game last night. Anyways one of them screwed up bad and they said he went on out of control for like a minute. They only showed 15 seconds or so but it was pretty funny and a good look at what we are going to get when there is a bad call on the field. I checked the tube but can't find the clip. Anyone have it ??

Here are two crappy clips I found but there is more that this dude did not record

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ukTeiYuK1RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3itXqobVTPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

I watched this disaster of a game. Anyone that has confidence in these replacement stooges needs to watch this game. Utter incompetence.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Good. I'll bet the new ones won't be so "on the take" for the Steelers, so this works out in our favor, imo.

That is one bonus of the replacements that I hadn't considered. These guys seem to be really easily influenced by coaches and players and fans, so if our home crowd is really a home crowd (and we don't sell our ****ing tickets to those piss-towel-waving idiots from yinzburgh, maybe we'll get a few extra calls.

For once.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2012, 08:02 AM
You are wrong, according to 2009 CNN..

A National Football League ref can make anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 a season, although since most of the games are on Sundays, they can also have other jobs during the week. (We'll get to those in a minute.)

that is 70,000 not $300,000. I read a top NFL 20 year official makes about $120,000

I also disagree with you on the refs getting better. the refs they have now are division 2 and lower. They are not going to get much better. There will be 6 or 7 horrible calls the first week and it will continue all year. Now whether the NFL buckles or not who knows.

ok, yep, they don't make all that much. I think I got that number from what some of the refs do in the offseason like being a lawyer or something. So the NFL pays these refs like they are part time employees and this is supplimental income.

mile7high7
08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Per PFT, the average official made $149k last year, for a job they do on Sundays. Sounds pretty solid for 3 hours of work a week...(yes I am sure they have some training), but most have full time jobs as well...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/breaking-down-the-divide-in-the-nfl-nflra-disput/

Blart
08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
The less the league pays them ($78,000 for new officials), the more open they are to bribes.

If the integrity of the game is important, pay them like it is.

CPA
08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
With the type of parody in the NFL ...

Can't tell if this was intended or not.

menonite
08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
is this about the NFL being cheap or the old refs trying to cover their asses? Isn't one of the major sticking point the NFL wanting to hire full time refs? And Wanting to have extra crews on hand that would lead to some accountability on the part of the refs who habitually screw up (Walt Coleman for example)?

So I think half of it is that the NFL is cheap and the other half is that the union Refs want to get paid like full time employees while working part time and have near 100% job security no matter how bad they bungle a call.

I'm in favor of full time, well paid refs. who are frequently graded on their job performance and held accountable.

lonestar
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
is this about the NFL being cheap or the old refs trying to cover their asses? Isn't one of the major sticking point the NFL wanting to hire full time refs? And Wanting to have extra crews on hand that would lead to some accountability on the part of the refs who habitually screw up (Walt Coleman for example)?

So I think half of it is that the NFL is cheap and the other half is that the union Refs want to get paid like full time employees while working part time and have near 100% job security no matter how bad they bungle a call.

I'm in favor of full time, well paid refs. who are frequently graded on their job performance and held accountable.

They are graded weekly and held accountable the better refs get playoff games and those that screw the pooch do not ..

Houckli was consider the best of the best and worked all play off games until he made one bad call that cost SANthe win with the cutlet Dubai he lost out on the playoffs that year..

Th NFL grades and watches every play and the lead ref in each crew then goes over the calls with each of them..

I used to know a ref from years ago and HE watched the games he called to look for mistakes he made as well as the film of the up coming teams to see what games they played to get around the rules.

I saw a NFL film once that followed Huckli around for the week that dude spent vey little time in his own office but loads of time in the gym, watching game film and talking with the head officials about his teams grade for that past week..then the travel involved as well as game prep, walking the field and checking/prepping the balls for for the game..

hardly a 3 hour a week job.. Closer to 25-40 depending on travel,time.

JLesSPE
08-30-2012, 01:29 PM

I heard on the radio yesterday what the refs are asking for as a whole amounts to something like .04% of the NFL TV revenue.

maher_tyler
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IRH0tnUeKvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/63kjcKrLnKE?list=PL95D2F25952AD36D2&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We're in for a long season...i'm guessing at least one of our games will be determinded by the refs!

Fedaykin
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I think this whole situation is a ploy by the NFL to get people to stop bitching about the regular refs.

maher_tyler
08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I think this whole situation is a ploy by the NFL to get people to stop b****ing about the regular refs.

It's about $$$. These replacement refs are making it easy for the real ones to hold out for more money. I almost can't watch the games outside of ours because the refs are that bad. Watch the videos, the real refs are no where near that bad. Yes they make bad calls but its not even close...the real refs are billions times better.

When TV ratings go down because people get fed up with the beyond terrible calls or non calls..the NFL might change their stance.

Deebs
08-31-2012, 01:51 AM
:rofl:

Clueless Replacement Ref Memes
(http://profootballmock.com/?p=2558)