PDA

View Full Version : Your Madden 2013 Thread: Tips, Tricks, Strategies, Gamer Tags

RhymesayersDU
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
It is here. For those of us who don't despise the franchise, today has been an awesome day.

I just played my first game online, and while very rusty, I won. Peyton Manning is awesome. Champ had 2 picks. It's all good in Denver.

I love the new menu screens, etc. The new kicking engine is cool. The graphics are fine, all in HD, yadda yadda yadda. I'm enjoying it one game in.

Can't comment on franchise, that's not my deal. I play exclusively online. I also didn't mess around with my online roster, just jumped on and played. I'm sure there are roster tweaks that can be done.

I'll post my X-Box 360 gamertag: TheBirdmanFlies

It's tough because when we play from the board, everybody wants to be the Broncos. But I'd be willing to try another team, or whatever.

Who got it? Thoughts?

maher_tyler
08-28-2012, 09:45 PM
As much **** I talked about it leading up to the release, I still got it. Someone in a different Madden thread gave good reviews. Having said that, I have played one game and the guy quit. I had 2 different passes hit Porter right in the hands only for it to fall to the ground. Other than that, seems much better than in years past. After the play, watching players run into each other is pretty hilarious to watch.

Edit: Wolfpack682 on PS3

Doggcow
08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Don't try and play defense.

Just hope the computer decides to get you more turnovers than the other guy.

It's all strategy.

maher_tyler
08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Don't try and play defense.

Just hope the computer decides to get you more turnovers than the other guy.

It's all strategy.

In that Nickle package where Von is coming off the edge is pretty nasty...Von is a beast rushing the passer.

RhymesayersDU
08-28-2012, 09:53 PM
In that Nickle package where Von is coming off the edge is pretty nasty...Von is a beast rushing the passer.

Yeah I blitzed Von some with decent success. Need to practice with formations, etc.

spdirty
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Well, Broncos wideouts drop everything so at least its realistic. Sometimes I wish I wasn't stuck out in BFE where internet options suck. If I didnt have hughesnet I'd love to do the connected careers thing.

Rabb
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Tamme is beast in this game so far, hot route streak has been very good to me

Doggcow
08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
If you play online we lose purely because we will fumble at least 3 times a game, and have at least 15 drops. It's ****ing dumb.

Ratboy
08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I just bought the game. I need to renew my subscription to xbox live though.

I believe my gamertag is unkopantsu

Los Broncos
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Xbox gt: M4d3 of sc4rs

Archer81
08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Planning on getting this next week.

PS3 s/n: Sirhcyennek81.

:Broncos:

Doggcow
08-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Oh and btw you can sub in other positions easy in random formations. I keep subbing in RB's at WR and **** to confuse the guy I'm playing lol. come out in a 5 wide set where I'm really only looking at 2 different WR routes but have 2 RB's and 2 TE's...

Doggcow
08-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Stretch to Hillman. Offtackle McGahee. Dive McGahee. Offtackle Hillman. Misdirection Hillman. Offtackle McGahee. PA Jump Ball to OpThomas.

Doggcow
08-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Pitch and sweep still suck imo

BMarsh615
08-29-2012, 01:31 AM
80% of the plays I run come out of the same formation. The formation has to have a good Off Tackle play, a Counter play, a fast Play Action play, and a man to man killer.

All I do is go no huddle and audible all game.

kdissette
08-29-2012, 04:07 AM
on offense all you have to do is spread the safetys or LBs and hit a streak to either TE...julius thomas is a beast on this game and catches everything...Tamme as well...i put thomas as 2 and run PA all day...mcgahee is a beast as well dont even need to pass but when i do i hit the outside angle right after they break contact and seems to work for a TD everytime.

Crushisback
08-29-2012, 06:10 AM
BigBird2010 on ps3

Bout to play for the first time today.

supermanhr9
08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
DB's in this game have better hands than WR's. Very unrealistic.

Denver Bronco56
08-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Everyone try out the 46 Defensive playbook and run the bear but change it to the Speed package and you will have Von out there and safteys & CB's ... stops the run and you have enough DB's to stop the pass..lethal!

RhymesayersDU
08-29-2012, 09:25 AM
I'll try that speed package, thanks.

Ironlung
08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
All I do is go no huddle and audible all game.

ugh...I hate playing people like this online.

I plan on buying it this weekend. PS3: Atwater27

Rabb
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I am rabbmast3rflash on Xbox, feel free to add me. I mainly play shooters, but would be up for a friendly match. I am awful at this game, I am not sandbagging here.

If you are also terrible, I might just be your huckleberry.

supermanhr9
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
how do you audible the defense and have them all standing and roaming? I was playing a guy last night who was OWNING me and he had this crazy defense that would set up normal, then he would start audibling and before i knew it, almost everyone was at the line standing, press coverage.

Upon hiking it, it seemed like it all turned into man coverage or a soft zone, but then still had plenty of pressure.

Definitely one of the best players I have gone up against... peyton's neck was tested over and over.

kdissette
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM
how do you audible the defense and have them all standing and roaming? I was playing a guy last night who was OWNING me and he had this crazy defense that would set up normal, then he would start audibling and before i knew it, almost everyone was at the line standing, press coverage.

Upon hiking it, it seemed like it all turned into man coverage or a soft zone, but then still had plenty of pressure.

Definitely one of the best players I have gone up against... peyton's neck was tested over and over.

just hit up on the dpad and then right i think it will show blitz and make everyone look like theyre gonna blitz...also if ur doing any kind of safety or corner blitz its a must

Agamemnon
08-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Just got it through Gamefly, and all I can say is that it's terrible. No franchise mode. A coaching career mode without an auto passing option (you have to control passing and kicking even if you, you know, want to just be a coach and call plays). No fantasy draft. No player editing. The new physics tackling is wonky. Pass defense is a joke. The list goes on and on.

People really need to stop supporting this garbage franchise.

GreasyQtip
08-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I could use some help. I have not had a console in 7 years and am trying to reinvent myself on the Xbox. I am having a blast but maybe I am out of date with some things even for a 28 year old.

-Von Miller is subbed out way to much, regardless off my playcalling (which usually consists of selecting playcall, aggressive, or conservative) Von miller is pulled off the field way too much. Hunter is fun but Miller is the first off. I do not see subs for packages only for position and I do not want to make him the D end if for no other reason but making it more real.

-The Shadows! During an afternoon game WTF I can not tell at all between players. During a punt return the Ref, opponent, and My blocker running toward me all look like dark monsters coming to tackle me. Anyone else have this issue?

-I read previous posts suggesting not to play D at all, this is almost the only way I have success but of course I get bored after 2 snaps, any advice here would be helpful, Is there any position I can play and not be an uberdetriment.

-On Offense, I am successful but throw 3 or so INT a game. again, maybe I am just learning but any advice would be helpful

-Also I just turned back ON autosprint and I ran back my first kickoff instantly... HAving trouble training myself not to hold down RT, is there any negative to me holding crap down?

-Sorry this is lengthy but has anyone figured out how to swim through the defense with RS I used Von Miller and even used EXP to buy swim move, how do I use the swim move?, how does RS work for pushing through the line?

Gort
08-29-2012, 05:45 PM
my player tag shall be ErrandOUElusiveTailgateCashew. Tim Tebow shall be my QB. i will intentionally cause him to run into the goal posts over and over again, all the while cursing out Jesus on my headset. whenever i call the wrong play, i will blame Tebow and then kick my dog.

so let it be written, so let it be done.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Yul_Brynner_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.j pg/220px-Yul_Brynner_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.j pg

RhymesayersDU
08-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Currently in the middle of getting my ass kicked!

Los Broncos
08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Just picked the game up, how do you play a season?

kdissette
08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Just picked the game up, how do you play a season?

its now under career as a coach...no longer called franchise

Los Broncos
08-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks

maher_tyler
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Played a game last night and could not get a stop to save my life on D. Ended up losing 31-21. So the next game I decide I'm going to let Madden choose the plays. Not sure if the guy sucked or if it was the D I was choosing but the guy only scored 3 points. I should have won by a lot more but threw 2 picks and fumbled once. On offense, the double TE single back set sending both TEs on streaks is lethal.

srphoenix
08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Just picked up the game today. gamertag is evoxphoenix it would be fun if we started an online franchise with people from the mane.

Fusionfrontman
08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
My goodness it is impossible to stop the offense when playing defense. I can't get any push with the D-lineman. I usually control the #1 DT and try to bull rush to get him past a OL. This year, I have gotten no push, not gotten off a block, etc. Played the SeaHawks and Lynch had over 160 by the 3rd Qtr.

as far as the shadows in the day game, yeah it's crazy. I didn't tell the difference between anyone on the field.

Not ready to start a franch- er, I mean coach mode. My team is too bad and by the time they are decent, Manning, Bailey, will retire.

ChampBailey24
08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Xbox 360: edaveybaker

Ratboy
08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
First game playing playing online in like 10 years.

I got my ass smashed.

v2micca
08-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Cool, thanks. I had the same question. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

supermanhr9
08-30-2012, 07:04 AM
I am really disappointed with the game so far. But, until we are given another option for NFL Football, I will continue to keep buying this because it's better than not playing.

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 07:11 AM
After a couple tweaks on the roster and playing a couple games, i havent had an issue on O or D... I typically blitz Miller most of the downs and with Champ and Porter im able to stop most WR.

Peyton and DT are MONEY, i havent really gotten the run game going but with how accurate Manning is i havent need to run that often

Ironlung
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Are u playing online or against CPU?

Rabb
08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
My only real frustrations so far are that defenders make interceptions far too often...even when I am not being a dumb ass and also when I am on defense most of the time the corners bat down passes instead of pick them off.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Shankolicious on XBL

I haven't picked it up yet, but is there a way for all of us to be lumped into a league? Not looking for anything hardcore, but I do like playing online with folks that talk a little football and can laugh a bit at some of the mistakes or big plays.

Rabb
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Shankolicious on XBL

I haven't picked it up yet, but is there a way for all of us to be lumped into a league? Not looking for anything hardcore, but I do like playing online with folks that talk a little football and can laugh a bit at some of the mistakes or big plays.

could do an online league, I don't even care what team I am

I just want to BS and have a good time and play with people that won't just dominate me...because again, I am terrible

Los Broncos
08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I used the Canton Greats and crushed the Rams...Sharpe is the only starter from the Broncos I think.

Elway is the holder on EP's and FG's lol.

srphoenix
08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
could do an online league, I don't even care what team I am

I just want to BS and have a good time and play with people that won't just dominate me...because again, I am terrible

I'd be in for doing a league, anyone want to take the lead on this and get it going? Probably easier to just use teams as they are rather than do a fantasy draft, but I'm ok with either.

Frisian
08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I would like to join in on the league. My gamertag (which was a high-school mistake) is whitech0c01ate

DENVERDUI55
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
You should try the reverse it is awesome.

maher_tyler
08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Had 4 Ints with Champ last night. First game i've played and didn't throw more than 1 Int. TE's own this game!

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Are u playing online or against CPU?

I play Online or against my friends. We're pretty hardcore haha big madden players.

And the speed package is in the 46 D playbook ... but i believe that it is actually under the 46-Normal. and just change the package to speed. if you know you will use this frequently i either put DJ as the MLB and then Von as a DE.

It is pretty deadly as you have 4 lineman, 1 LB, 1 Free Safety, 5 CB's.

The one downfall is the liability against the run, but that isnt a BIG issue with DJ or Von playing LB(both are high 80's) they have no problem blowing the play up and are fast enough to cover TE's usually. And with the extra speed on the field your D will swarm and fly to the ball.

Denver Bronco56
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I have also been running with the Broncos O and playing out of singleback or Shotgun and spreading the D out with DT's speed and size and Decker's hands Peyton has been SHREADING anyone ive played... if i had to guess im averaging 25 points a game and 400 yards passing.

Fusionfrontman
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Just curious for those of you who play against the CPU what level you play against? I play on All Madden and have a hard time reverting back to All Pro.

I'm curious because I want to try these strategies some of you are suggesting but want to make sure it's not on Pro Ha Ha!

Los Broncos
08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Just curious for those of you who play against the CPU what level you play against? I play on All Madden and have a hard time reverting back to All Pro.

I'm curious because I want to try these strategies some of you are suggesting but want to make sure it's not on Pro Ha Ha!

Pro or All Pro.

RhymesayersDU
08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Something that may fall by the wayside -- don't forget you have to manually sub Kuper in at RG since he's injured right now. He's an 80-something rated player, the sub is considerably less.

Fusionfrontman
08-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Alright, I played at All Pro and still couldn't stop a nosebleed. Any tips for playing defense? I tried controlling the MLB for a little bit but it worked for only a few plays. Stopping the run is impossible.

Literally get no push or block shedding playing as a DL. This game is becoming less fun by the day haha

Deebs
08-31-2012, 02:44 AM
Alright, I played at All Pro and still couldn't stop a nosebleed. Any tips for playing defense? I tried controlling the MLB for a little bit but it worked for only a few plays. Stopping the run is impossible.

Literally get no push or block shedding playing as a DL. This game is becoming less fun by the day haha

I know its lazy, but I just call the plays on D and let the computer do its thing. The only time I take control is on a deep pass by the computer - I hit B to gain control of the cornerback, then hit Y to jump for the INT.

I also play on All-Pro. One of my peeve with Madden over the years is that there's no in between. On All-Pro, I win 50-0. On All-Madden, I lose 45-14.

Doggcow
08-31-2012, 03:29 AM
Idk why I keep playing online. It's the same bull**** every game.

Computer decides every game based on who actually gets the interceptions. Not who is playing better.

Doggcow
08-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Oh and why does Champ get smoked by every single WR in the game? Why even bother having good CBs? They can't press, if you play off they just stand there and watch the ball fly past them to the WR then miss the tackle.

Drek
08-31-2012, 04:25 AM

So far the only real problem I'm having on defense is poor coverage where guys allow way too much separation.

My general strategy is this:
1. Look to see what the offense is sending out for a set (21, 12, 11 personnel, etc.) and pick the right set accordingly. Denver's base defensive package is excellent at highlighting Von Miller, FYI. He gets to pursue the run early and when you go nickel or dime he's got tons of good pass rush plays.

2. Understand that when you are in the nickel 3-3-5 Sam set YOU WILL BE RUN DEFICIENT. This is a pass stopping set. Your line is composed of RDE - LDE - DT - SOLB. So you've only got one DT and he's having to play over the right guard, leaving a big gap to the weak side where your DEs need to step up and win their battles. If there is a good chance the offense will run on you out of a 3 WR set choose the 3-3-5 base formation instead with the DT lined up as a 0-tech and the DEs spread out as 5-techs with three LBs ready to pursue.

3. Only blitz when it's situation appropriate. If you bring 5 and 6 man rushes all the time eventually the offense is going to start seeing your weaknesses. Use the 3-3-5 Sam set to generate good 4 man rush and selectively send Miller as the 5th man about once every 2.5-3 plays. If its an obvious rushing down then don't be afraid to run blitz 'em.

4. Do not expect the CPU to handle defense for you. The Broncos have too many weak defenders for hte CPU to win those battles. My suggestions on improving this are:

a. tweak the depth charts yourself. Have Ayers backing up Doom, Wolfe backing up Hunter.

b. play as the WORST front four guy on the field. Most of the bad OVR ratings stem from poor awareness issues. Wolfe for example is only a 63 or some crap. But play as him yourself and he does FAR better than he does with the CPU. If you've got solid starter types or better all around you under CPU control it makes it a lot easier to pick up the weak link.

c. I should stress playing the DL again. It's where you can make the biggest impact. Do not hit R2 unless you've got an open lane to the QB. Instead use the right analog stick to rip/swim/bull rush guys based on your player's strengths. If you identify a running lane off the snap to either side of the guy you're controlling you need to push the right stick towards that gap while also moving the left stick towards that gap. I've found that holding the left stick where you want to go while flicking the right stick in that direction seems to give me the best results.

d. DO NOT OVER PURSUE. Hit sticks are for when you have a guy completely lined up and still have close support to finish him off when you almost surely miss. Use square to wrap up your tackles, don't just run into guys like in old Madden and expect to tackle people. Know who you've changed to when you do change, otherwise you're going to have half your team lying on the ground and an opposing player strolling into the end zone.

Thats the biggest things off the top of my head. Smart, safe play calling goes a long ways if you ask me. I've resigned myself to some slider tweaks to find a way to get better DB coverage, but other than that it's a healthy challenge on All-Pro.

kdissette
08-31-2012, 05:49 AM
just went undefeated, manning threw for over 5k and won mvp...DT set records for TDs and yards....and manning had perfect passer rating in the superbowl against the giants and was mvp....couldnt have ended any better....then was looking forward to offseason and my game froze....pretty sure i saved it though afterwards i hope...gonna let my ps3 cool down for a bit then try again

Fusionfrontman
08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
So far the only real problem I'm having on defense is poor coverage where guys allow way too much separation.

My general strategy is this:
1. Look to see what the offense is sending out for a set (21, 12, 11 personnel, etc.) and pick the right set accordingly. Denver's base defensive package is excellent at highlighting Von Miller, FYI. He gets to pursue the run early and when you go nickel or dime he's got tons of good pass rush plays.

2. Understand that when you are in the nickel 3-3-5 Sam set YOU WILL BE RUN DEFICIENT. This is a pass stopping set. Your line is composed of RDE - LDE - DT - SOLB. So you've only got one DT and he's having to play over the right guard, leaving a big gap to the weak side where your DEs need to step up and win their battles. If there is a good chance the offense will run on you out of a 3 WR set choose the 3-3-5 base formation instead with the DT lined up as a 0-tech and the DEs spread out as 5-techs with three LBs ready to pursue.

3. Only blitz when it's situation appropriate. If you bring 5 and 6 man rushes all the time eventually the offense is going to start seeing your weaknesses. Use the 3-3-5 Sam set to generate good 4 man rush and selectively send Miller as the 5th man about once every 2.5-3 plays. If its an obvious rushing down then don't be afraid to run blitz 'em.

4. Do not expect the CPU to handle defense for you. The Broncos have too many weak defenders for hte CPU to win those battles. My suggestions on improving this are:

a. tweak the depth charts yourself. Have Ayers backing up Doom, Wolfe backing up Hunter.

b. play as the WORST front four guy on the field. Most of the bad OVR ratings stem from poor awareness issues. Wolfe for example is only a 63 or some crap. But play as him yourself and he does FAR better than he does with the CPU. If you've got solid starter types or better all around you under CPU control it makes it a lot easier to pick up the weak link.

c. I should stress playing the DL again. It's where you can make the biggest impact. Do not hit R2 unless you've got an open lane to the QB. Instead use the right analog stick to rip/swim/bull rush guys based on your player's strengths. If you identify a running lane off the snap to either side of the guy you're controlling you need to push the right stick towards that gap while also moving the left stick towards that gap. I've found that holding the left stick where you want to go while flicking the right stick in that direction seems to give me the best results.

d. DO NOT OVER PURSUE. Hit sticks are for when you have a guy completely lined up and still have close support to finish him off when you almost surely miss. Use square to wrap up your tackles, don't just run into guys like in old Madden and expect to tackle people. Know who you've changed to when you do change, otherwise you're going to have half your team lying on the ground and an opposing player strolling into the end zone.

Thats the biggest things off the top of my head. Smart, safe play calling goes a long ways if you ask me. I've resigned myself to some slider tweaks to find a way to get better DB coverage, but other than that it's a healthy challenge on All-Pro.

Thanks man. What does R2 do? Is that the strip button? (weird phrasing, I know). I usually use L3 to move toward the QB/RB and move R3 to get off the OL.

Drek
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks man. What does R2 do? Is that the strip button? (weird phrasing, I know). I usually use L3 to move toward the QB/RB and move R3 to get off the OL.

R2 (right bottom shoulder button, right trigger on Xbox 360) is speed burst. If you use it while playing on the DL the pass rush moves don't work right, if at all.

L3 and R3 are actually clicking the analog sticks in. This is used to bring up some audible options pre-snap but I don't know if it does anything worthwhile during play. But yes, you should be using the left stick to pursue the QB/RB while using the right stick to disengage.

Its situationally relevant though. Bull rush is down, rip move is up, swim left is left, and swim right is right. The quality of these moves are tied to your player's traits. For example Doom has both rip and swim as traits while Von has bull rush and swim, if I recall correctly. Focusing their strengths is key to having success.

Then it's all about setting the OL up. What I like to do with them:

Bull Rush - I use this if I'm on a big, strong DT to set up the OL before hitting them with a swim move. Right out of the gate crash down with the left stick and the right stick both to pop 'em with the bull, it should put them on their heels and make the swim a quick disengage. Make sure before you swim that you swim to the correct side though, don't want to swim move AWAY from the gap their RB is taking. Just using bull rush to get after the QB is ineffective because even if you land the biggest crushing bull rush ever you still have a lineman lying at your feet. In the new physics engine that WILL slow you up.

Rip - I like the rip to set up getting through a hole and after the QB. Big thing with the Rip, in my opinion, is to let the OL come to you. You want to use it right before contact and that is often easier to time if they're the ones trying to make it. A well timed rip by a top level fast pass rusher may get you around the OL instantly, like when executed just right by Doom, but even if it doesn't it can help set up a quick swim move to the inside that will let you squeeze through and go after the QB.

Swim - This is the lateral pursuit move for the DL. Think of it as the equivalent of a RB's juke move. Use it to scrape down the OL in pursuit of the ball carrier.

Another big DON'T on defense: Do not change guys rapidly. Stick with your guy until he's actually out of the play. Let the CPU handle the LB pursuit. Then change over once the first guy there is clear and finish off the play. If you keep trying to change to the guy who can finish off the play you're just going to take defenders out of the play and give up big runs.

To that end, in the passing game when a receiver beats is corner do not immediately try changing to the safety. The guy he beat is still the closest man to him and you'll wind up controlling a guy who currently can't get back into the play unless he's a speed demon. Wait until the safeties or another corner close some, let the play develop, then change and finish it.

A lot of this with running the football on offense. Do not use your speed burst until you've gotten through the lane. If you want to crash through a lane for just a couple yards truck it. If you want to set up a cutback lane use left or right on the right analog stick to juke into the gap, don't turn into it using the left stick. Once you're in the hole be prepared to use:

Stiff Arm - If you see a guy slipping his blocker and coming down on your side.

Juke - For quick lateral corrections/evasion within the lane.

Spin Move - If you see a large gap to either side laterally. Spin move moves you really far, quickly. If you hit a hole with a lead blocker who actually stacks up the LB you'll almost always have an open lane to either side. Spinning into that opening is an excellent way to get into space and start moving downhill without a the loss of forward momentum you get when you move left and right with the left stick.

More than any other year this Madden requires you to actually be aware of your actions. You can't just beat up on the CPU by speed bursting all over the field and landing a few well timed hit sticks and user picks. You need to be disciplined in player switching and consistently fight to be involved in plays. The big plays fall in your lap as long as you're consistent otherwise. Like suddenly you'll see that your rip with Doom worked perfectly and you have the QB dead in your sights for a massive hit stick. Or your great pressure with force a lame duck pass and you'll have enough time to consciously change to the DB, step up and jump for the ball, resulting in a pick. Its no longer a button masher's game, basically.

To that end people shouldn't have a problem dropping down a difficulty level while they adapt to the new play style. No point getting your ass beat while you're trying to learn how to play.

Extra trip: Knowshon Moreno makes a damn good slot WR from day one even though you can no longer edit positions (73 OVR if you sub him in on the depth chart). This is a great way to start building Moreno more experience while he's stashed behind McGahee.

Fusionfrontman
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Wow... Thank you. So much of this makes sense. I will definitely try this tonight. I have auto sprint on, so this explains why I am sucking getting off an OL (and unable to run the ball).

I'll report back this weekend with how well this stuff worked.

swaiy
08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
You guys shouldn't pay much attention to the OVR rating. You need to look at the other ratings. Players with a poor OVR rating might have a high rating in another area that actually might help.

I'm not saying OVR isn't important but, it doesn't make or break some players.

swaiy
08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I also forgot to mention...

When you're a D, let the CPU do the dirty work on the line unless you have a blitz called. You can do alot better on D if you control the MLB or one of the safeties.

If you know for sure it's a run and you've got FS or SS, you can use them as clean up or that extra man for the blitz.

I wasn't the best playing online but once I caught on, I realized I was handicapping myself by controlling anybody on the DL unless they were a good pass rusher.

teknic
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Anyone up for a game now? PS3.

teknic93 is my psn

Drek
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow... Thank you. So much of this makes sense. I will definitely try this tonight. I have auto sprint on, so this explains why I am sucking getting off an OL (and unable to run the ball).

I'll report back this weekend with how well this stuff worked.

Turn off auto-strafe too. Basically, don't let the CPU decide **** for you, it can't be trusted. You might have a bit of a hurdle initially, but once you get it down you will make better decisions than the CPU 99.9% of the time.

You guys shouldn't pay much attention to the OVR rating. You need to look at the other ratings. Players with a poor OVR rating might have a high rating in another area that actually might help.

I'm not saying OVR isn't important but, it doesn't make or break some players.

OVR is a number EA pads with Awareness - a junk stat that doesn't impact awareness. So it isn't so much that OVR isn't accurate, it's that awareness is completely worthless and OVR weights awareness very heavily.

Awareness used to factor into a lot of behind the curtain calculations. But now that they've added things like pursuit, man coverage, zone coverage, play recognition, etc. it has been completely undercut and replaced in all those calculations. Now it's nothing more than a "well, this guy is really good but he's small and slow. Give him a 90 awareness so his OVR is better" filler stat.

This is why you should pay more attention to the new second tier of summary stats, Physical, Intangibles, and Size. I'm sure Intangibles includes OVR and is therefore suspect, but Physical and Size are very valid metrics when gauging players.

I also forgot to mention...

When you're a D, let the CPU do the dirty work on the line unless you have a blitz called. You can do alot better on D if you control the MLB or one of the safeties.

If you know for sure it's a run and you've got FS or SS, you can use them as clean up or that extra man for the blitz.

I wasn't the best playing online but once I caught on, I realized I was handicapping myself by controlling anybody on the DL unless they were a good pass rusher.

See, my viewpoint is that anyone can be a good pass rusher if they have the correct set of raw tools.

Take Wolfe for instance. He's a ****ty OVR of 63, but he's got good power moves, great strength, and good agility and acceleration for his position. Is he the most dominant player on the field for Denver? No, but under user control he can do significantly better than under CPU control.

Meanwhile someone like Ty Warren does solid work even if you never touch him. Same with Doom. Miller is 50/50 under CPU control and is an absolute beast of a weapon if you control him coming off the edge, so I'll switch it up and go with Miller a decent bit too.

I can see what you're saying with MLB though. I'm sure it helps in the running game quite a bit to be able to see the play develop and then pursue. My only concern is that I honestly don't trust myself to keep good coverage when I guess wrong and it's a passing play, letting a TE or slot WR get deep. If you like a blitz heavy strategy I could definitely see rotating between the blitzing LBs though.

swaiy
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
See, my viewpoint is that anyone can be a good pass rusher if they have the correct set of raw tools.

Take Wolfe for instance. He's a ****ty OVR of 63, but he's got good power moves, great strength, and good agility and acceleration for his position. Is he the most dominant player on the field for Denver? No, but under user control he can do significantly better than under CPU control.

Meanwhile someone like Ty Warren does solid work even if you never touch him. Same with Doom. Miller is 50/50 under CPU control and is an absolute beast of a weapon if you control him coming off the edge, so I'll switch it up and go with Miller a decent bit too.

I can see what you're saying with MLB though. I'm sure it helps in the running game quite a bit to be able to see the play develop and then pursue. My only concern is that I honestly don't trust myself to keep good coverage when I guess wrong and it's a passing play, letting a TE or slot WR get deep. If you like a blitz heavy strategy I could definitely see rotating between the blitzing LBs though.

You're dead on with the Wolfe example. I think it all depends on your style of play. I'm one of those guys that goes into practice mode and labs for hours to see if I can find certain plays and packages to make the CPU have a meltdown.
You are absolutely correct about being a pass rusher but I tend to shift the line, tell certain guys to blitz, or even move Von for example close to the B gap
to bring more pressure. Sometimes, depending on where you place a guy and tell him to blitz, you can confuse the OL and your guy may get free because one of the OL decided to block the wrong guy or the RB may block the initial guy and let the other get through.

I'll usually blitz sometimes with no intention of getting the sack. If I set up the players well enough, they will get enough pressure enabling me to guess the receiver my opponent is more likely to throw to hopefully leading to a user pick.

It's not foolproof as I do pick the wrong receiver or TE sometimes. It's pretty easy to play MLB when you're in zone because you just cover the guy that crosses into it.

I feel you on the not trusting yourself in coverage though. I've been burned more times than I can remember just from calling a bad play or trying to jump a route and completely whiffing. But damnit does it feel good when you get the preferred conditions and get that game changing turnover.

Fusionfrontman
08-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Where is practice mode? This game this year has me so off kilter haha

swaiy
08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Where is practice mode? This game this year has me so off kilter haha

I couldn't even tell you. I haven't bought the game yet but last year's version had it under 'Game Modes' I think it was.

swaiy
08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to video games and actually study/practice to get better since I have a little competitive streak.

http://www.madden-school.com/

This site can show you alot. They also have forums. I don't post on there but I definitely skim around and learn different offensive and defensive set ups.

teknic
08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to video games and actually study/practice to get better since I have a little competitive streak.

http://www.madden-school.com/

This site can show you alot. They also have forums. I don't post on there but I definitely skim around and learn different offensive and defensive set ups.

Learning to exploit the AI is a pretty lame strategy...

Agamemnon
08-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh and why does Champ get smoked by every single WR in the game? Why even bother having good CBs? They can't press, if you play off they just stand there and watch the ball fly past them to the WR then miss the tackle.

Like I said earlier, pass defense in this game is a joke.

maher_tyler
08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
I haven't had any issues with Champ. In 9 or 10 games online I'd say I'm averaging a pick a game with him. Only time I have issues on D is when a team has a top TE. Pretty realistic considering Von is mainly a pass rusher and Mays is the MLB. On D, the sugar blitz is my money play. I control Von and use turbo from the start. Some games I've gotten 3 sacks. There is another play right next to it that is identical but instead sends everyone into a zone. I've gotten a lot of Ints doing this mixing up those two plays. I'll have to try out a few of these strategies you guys have listed.

RhymesayersDU
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Same here, maybe it's poor throws but Champ has been fine for me. Except in the 1 game where I got smoked bad.

maher_tyler
09-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Word to the wise...use Moreno and Hillman sparingly as i've fumbled multiple times with these two im my last 4-5 games. Also, anyone else having issues with best players getting hurt? In my last handfull of games Manning, Miller and a few others have gotten hurt and are ALWAYS out for the rest of the game. If Manning goes down, i highly reccommend using Oz as Haine in Madden is also terrible.