PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts after the niners game

Kaylore
08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Offense

Manning looked great. His ability to get the protections right alone make him awesome and hide our issues at line.
Receivers still had some drops.
Offense looks very ballanced.

Defense

Our backups suck at stopping the run.
Malik Jackson will not clear waivers to be hid on the practice squad.
It was good to see Dumervil get a sack.
Manning scoring so much will put a lot of pressure on the opponent.

Other

Julius Thomas is done.
I think Stokely makes the team, even though I said I thought he'd get cut before.
They probably only keep 5 wide receivers but will keep four tight ends.
McGahee looked like Megahee.
Go dungbeetle.

AmericanBroncFan
08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Knosho showed some fight for his job he still can't read and react to save his life. M. Jackson earned a roster spot.

SouthStndJunkie
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Denver would be making a big mistake cutting him and hoping he clears waivers.

He's versatile and I've been nothing but impressed with his play in the three preseason games.

Irish Stout
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I think the refs need to be cut.

Malik Jackson will not be put on waivers. Cornelius Ingram will not make the 53. Our O-line depth is a major concern. Our D-line depth is a major concern.

Our first team on both sides of the ball looked great.

I thought Florence would be better than he is.

Hulamau
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
If it came down to Malik or Ayers at Backup DE, Id roll with Malik for the superior upside .. which will manifest a lot more even later this year.

DEs are Wolfe, Doom, Malik, Ayers and Beal. Tackles are Warren, Vickerson, Bannen, Urein and maybe one more. .. and Wolfe and Malik can swing inside when needed.

BroncosSR
08-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I think the refs need to be cut.

Malik Jackson will not be put on waivers. Cornelius Ingram will not make the 53. Our O-line depth is a major concern. Our D-line depth is a major concern.

Our first team on both sides of the ball looked great.

I thought Florence would be better than he is.

Agreed, Florence was terrible. A complete liability covering 2nd/3rd string.

razorwire77
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I think Moreno solidified his roll as a 3rd down receiving option out of the backfield. Still think RB depth is a major concern.

We're screwed if Decker or Thomas get hurt.

Peyton Manning is the fastest QB at diagnosing defenses post snap in the history of the game.

Absolutely no depth on the offensive interior line.

Nate Irving looked physically weak out there.

Von and Doom are deadly in obvious passing situations. A third defense player (Wolfe, Mays?) is going to benefit from the double teams and chips that are required to stop them.

Hulamau
08-26-2012, 04:47 PM
No way they cut Malik .. he make the team in a slam dunk on Thursday night if he hasnt already.

On that note, I dont expect to win Thursday against the Cards unless the rest of the scrub Oline and Dline show up to play for a change!

The Cards have two potential starting QBs .. albeit weak ones.. battling it out for number one and both will play Thursday to sort out their dilemma.

Give Brock more experience, the last two games his numbers wer not all on him by any means. His passes werent nearly as bad as the numbers look. Way too many easy drops and terrible Oline penalties and screw ups kept him in the hole a lot.

I wish Brock could get a quarter with the number one O like Hanie got today .. same with Weber who I like better than Hanie. That would better show what they can do in a real world situation is Manning should go down for any lenght of time. .. God forbid!

Good to see Manning take that very solid slam today and bounce up to finish off the TD drive ... also 'throwiing the TD and several long passes to his right :-)" all this assclown writers this week were proclaming manning finished since he obviously could no longer 'throw to his right' ! .... Morons....

Al Wilson
08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Hanie should be the backup. He is miles ahead of Brock.

gyldenlove
08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Surprising to see how much of a drop there was from the starters to the 2nd team on both sides of the ball. Hanie looked very decent playing with the starters, but I suspect that has more to do with the blocking and skill around him than it does with his own talent.

The first team looked excellent, the blocking was solid, the running was good, the passing was good, the defense was aggressive.

Of the backups, Malik Jackson is the only one who has consistently stood out to me in all 3 games - he is aggressive, he is relentless and he makes some plays. He has definitely won a spot on the roster.

The RB position is down to Mcgahee, Ball, Hillman and Moreno - I think it is unlikely they keep 5 and if they only keep 3 then Moreno is most likely gone.

At WR Caldwell is really playing for his life, Thomas, Decker, Stokley and Willis all seem like locks.

Dreesen, Tamme and Green look like locks at TE - not sure we keep more than those 3.

This team is going to be very balanced, with the only major weakness being the run defense - the pass defense both coverage and rushing looks very solid, the pass offense is outstanding and the rush offense looks very potent.

SoCalBronco
08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
SoCal's Thoughts

OFFENSE
1. Manning's best effort yet. He's more of a game manager now than an explosive guy, but his reads are still very sharp and there are very few bad decisions, which lead to a consistently high compleetion percentage. I was happy to see him establish some chemistry with Bey Bey a little bit for once. Stokley remains his go to guy on 3rd down (seem to be running same two route combo's to feature him) and ofcourse Decker is his top guy. Disappointed in Bubba Caldwell. It seems he's 4th at best right now, might be 5th behind Willis if you look at where they played during the game. The two drops don't help either. Encouraged to see that while he is more of a manager, Manning can still make some big plays too, like that deep out route to Bey Bey and the deep ball to Ball while in the face of pressure. Very good performance.

2. McGahee continues to run hard and has good vision. I was impressed with Knowshon's work ethic. He broke some tackles, made people miss and you can see he really tried very hard to get the extra yards and first downs. His running style is still aggravating, but he's definitely a weapon out of the backfield, very god job on YAC when he caught some short passes from Hanie. Hillman has some good burst and acceleration through the line, had a nice 14 yard run. JJ is best perimeter runner, but when he's in, its usually a tip off to some kind of toss play. Still think they keep 4 guys.

3. Too bad V. Green is out a few games, because I think he would be No. 3 right now among TE's. Ingram had a poor game with drops. I'm concerned if one of the top two TE's goes down, as its obvious TE's are important in this offense.

4. Superb pass blocking from OL (and also backs). There were several plays they gave Manning a good 4 seconds. Only one real notable pressure in first half and Manning still completed an amazing fly route. Run blocking is decent, but inconsistent. Biggest issue is how big the gap is between 1st and 2nd team OL. Poor depth.

5. Starting front seven did pretty well. Good to see Doom and Von continuing to make plays. Mays was better than last game and WW was active as well. Looks like Chicago game was just anamoly for Irving, he had an uneven effort. Noticed Methwolfe a couple times. Same issues with 2nd team front seven as with 2nd team OL, big gap in talent. Ayers playing deep into second half isnt a good sign for him, as is the fact that he is missing tackles in backfield. Malik Jackson active yet again with a stuff and strip. Need to find a way to keep him on roster.

6. Secondary did a great job playing 2 Deep with man underneath in first half. Great pass coverage, esp by Champ. Florence was toasted a few times in second half. I'm actually fine with the safety play, at least the starting safeties, I don't blame Moore for the TD, he actually read the most probable route combo given how the routes were developing, which is slant and flat and jumping the slant was the proper thing to do, slant-wheel combo is rare and less likely than slant-flant given how routes were developing. It was really just a great call vs. a man underneath defense, very hard for an OLB to cover all pro TE on a wheel route, esp when being picked.

7. Denver's biggest issue at this point is general depth. Same narrative as Seattle game. While DEN 1st teamers are better than their opponents, when 2nd teamerse come in on offense, they can't move the ball, leads to 3 and outs, 2nd team defense already has issues, and now they have to be on teh field hte whole second half so tackling, gap control etc. breaks down and other team runs wild in second half. Very good performance by 1st teamers against good team. Osweiler has a ways to go, which is to be expected.

KS Bronco
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
obviously, we do NOTHING without manning this year. with that aside, hanie got his chance last year when cutler went down. he proved he cannot play in the regular season. i say we cut him, and give #2 to our rookie and #3 to weber. he clearly has upside that needs to be respected

lolcopter
08-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Manning gonna Manning
some good offensive play calling and strategy, really like the scoring series where they forced it to decks then went hanie bit the TE underneath for the TD
Decker looked good and that catch by Stokley was amazing
Starting D looked good, got pressure on the QB and played tight in the secondary
Knowshon had some nice moves today, although he still looks indecisive
Mcgahee ran well

Lance ball is completely average
Officiating was terrible, the need to fix this situation ASAP
We have terrible depth and the 2nd string D can't stop to run to save their lives
A couple of really awful drops today

spdirty
08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
My random thoughts...how ****ing stupid was I scheduling Directv to come install my new dish from the 12-4 block today hoping they'll show up at 12?

Anyone know when's the damn replay on nfln?

Hulamau
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
The good news on the scrubs is to keep in mind is that we will only keep the best of those and they will not be appearing any more after Thursday as a total unit of scrubs..

Most of teh one's we keep should be able to play a lot better when mixed in with the one's omn both O and D. That last two days there were a handful of screw balls on both Oline, D line and linebacker that caused or allowed a lot of the large movements by the opposing team.

Not to mention both the last two teams had better more experienced back up QBs than we did in the second half.

I think Manning stays healthy all year as our starting Oline has shown they can protect him very well. Better than what he had in Indy!

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
SoCal's Thoughts

OFFENSE
1. Manning's best effort yet. He's more of a game manager now than an explosive guy, but his reads are still very sharp and there are very few bad decisions, which lead to a consistently high compleetion percentage.

10-12 for 122 and 2 TD's in one quarter is a game manager to you? I guess you and I have very different definition of the term...

NASurfer
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Give Brock more experience, the last two games his numbers wer not all on him by any means. His passes werent nearly as bad as the numbers look. Way too many easy drops and terrible Oline penalties and screw ups kept him in the hole a lot..
It was funny that the game ended with Weber the same way it was going with Osweiler.

Holding penalty wipes out a good play. QB makes a good read and throw, receiver drops the ball. Sack.

The drops are coming from all over the place. Coaches need to make them put time in with the jugs machine or something.

Gort
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM

oddly enough, the QB with the most seniority here (Weber) is going to be put on the PS (if we even keep him) simply because Jack Elway's dad wanted to draft Osweiler in the 2nd round. Osweiler makes the squad by default because of his draft position and because somebody would grab him just to screw with Jack Elway's dad were he to try and shuffle Osweiler onto the PS. Hanie should make it simply because he's the only backup with NFL game experience. that leaves Weber in a tough spot through no fault of his own.

in my judgement,

1st - Manning
2nd - Hanie
3rd - Weber
4th - Osweiler

maybe Osweiler will be really good in 2-3 years time. but right now, his presence is probably going to force Weber out the door.

razorwire77
08-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Hopefully, people won't be too down on Brock. It's hard to get into a flow on offense when your receivers are dropping every other pass.

SoCalBronco
08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
10-12 for 122 and 2 TD's in one quarter is a game manager to you? I guess you and I have very different definition of the term...

By that I meant, he is not getting big chunks of offense at a time as he used to, alot more short throws on shallow crosses and to the flat than I remember. It still works, because its very consistent and there are very few incompletions along the way. There are the occasional big plays, but its mostly short to intermediate completions...consistently executed well.

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Hopefully, people won't be too down on Brock. It's hard to get into a flow on offense when your receivers are dropping every other pass.

His protection was pretty spotty too. I still wish we had drafted Wilson instead of Osweiler, but there's no reason to throw the guy under the bus because he has some struggles surrounded by guys who probably don't even belong in the NFL for the most part.

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
By that I meant, he is not getting big chunks of offense at a time as he used to, alot more short throws on shallow crosses and to the flat than I remember. It still works, because its very consistent and there are very few incompletions along the way. There are the occasional big plays, but its mostly short to intermediate completions...consistently executed well.

Err...that has always been Manning's game...

Broncos4Life
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Err...that has always been Manning's game...

This. I think we see the deep throws as the season progresses and Manning becomes more comfortable.

gyldenlove
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM

I was happy to see a lot of variation in terms of alignments and formations. As a side note, that INT Hanie threw, I think was on an option route where Decker signals the go option, I think Manning would have read that one differently and it was a misread by Hanie he went with what looks like a post read which I imagine they go with if the CB is playing outside or over the top.

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
This. I think we see the deep throws as the season progresses and Manning becomes more comfortable.

Probably. But really the deep ball has never been a major part of Manning's game. He's always been a short to intermediate, take what they give you kind of guy. He did have the ability to keep defenses honest and make them pay if they left someone open deep, but what he did today was pretty much vintage Manning. Whether or not he has that still is really undetermined.

This is coming from a guy who wasn't wild about the signing mind you.

Dude was scary good today. Period.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Run defense have up 14 yards on 9 carries in the first half.

TheChamp24
08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Our offense is going to surprise a LOT of people I feel. We made a very good San Fran defense look silly out there.

I know its preseason, but still. I was impressed, and on defense.

Our backups are freakin garbage though. LB's/Secondary/WR didn't step up at all.
Nate Irving wiffed on a couple tackles.
Florence's wannabe Champ impersonation where he got toasted.
I'm not worried at all by our RB depth, I think people are crazy if they think we have poor depth there.

WR, we have a good front four in Thomas, Decker, Stokley and Willis. Caldwell looked like **** out there.

I pray we don't use our best pass rusher in Von Miller trying to cover the best TE's in the game like Vernon Davis.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-26-2012, 05:41 PM
How was Dyme Lyfe today? Still living the Dyme Lyfe? Dyme Lyfin' it?

barryr
08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Encouraging seeing Manning look more in rhythm that's for sure, but reality is preseason only shows you so much. Teams are employing generic plays and schemes for the most part, so it is impossible to know for sure who can do what. Being on the same page and building confidence is what is important and I feel the offense developed some of that today. The defense is harder to gauge since I doubt they are showing much of what they really plan to do once the games start to count since they have a new DC and want the element of surprise, especially for the Steelers.

canadianbroncosfan
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM

This is true, that and he was playing with 2nd and 3rd string OL and WRs.

I like Brock, but I also think that Hanie has earned his right to stay on this team for now.

Johnykbr
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
A whole lot of Hanie hatred here. I think this game showed what Hanie can do with a decent O-Line in front of him. I would have liked to have seen what Brock or Weber could have done with that same luxury.

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 06:13 PM
This is true, that and he was playing with 2nd and 3rd string OL and WRs.

I like Brock, but I also think that Hanie has earned his right to stay on this team for now.

I thought he looked good out there today...

Cito Pelon
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
WTF was the deal with the DL line shifts before snap? They attempted several times to shift the entire DL, guys were running all over trying to get set. Somebody f'd up there. Looked like the 7 stooges there on a few D snaps.

That's probably why they like Mays, at least he doesn't f up the formation calls.

theAPAOps5
08-26-2012, 06:20 PM
WTF was the deal with the DL line shifts before snap? They attempted several times to shift the entire DL, guys were running all over trying to get set. Somebody f'd up there. Looked like the 7 stooges there on a few D snaps.

That's probably why they like Mays, at least he doesn't f up the formation calls.

I remember one of those plays Dumervil switched to the opposite end of the line. It was so last minute I thought they were going to get totally caught out of position.

canadianbroncosfan
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I thought he looked good out there today...

He really did, I would still like to see how Brock does with a first line OL and WRs but for now I think we gotta keep Hanie.

myMind
08-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I can't stand listening to Bradshaw talk. Wonder how many cocktails he had before the game. Aside from that, I am very pleased by what Im seeing with the 1s

errand
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
oddly enough, the QB with the most seniority here (Weber) is going to be put on the PS (if we even keep him) simply because Jack Elway's dad wanted to draft Osweiler in the 2nd round.

....and where's the downside to that?

TheReverend
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Denver would be making a big mistake cutting him and hoping he clears waivers.

He's versatile and I've been nothing but impressed with his play in the three preseason games.

^ this. Malik Jackson showed more TODAY than Ayers has in his career.

OBF1
08-26-2012, 06:54 PM

That is because Denver lacks the speed and skill sets like a Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne combo brought for Manning while in Indy.

errand
08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Bottom line is that our starters had their starters down 17-7 after first qtr.....add in our defense was making critical stops, we'd have won this one going away if it were regular season.

What I loved was we scored 24 first half points...when's the last time we saw that?

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 06:57 PM
That is because Denver lacks the speed and skill sets like a Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne combo brought for Manning while in Indy.

Tebow showed the kind of deep threat DT can be. If Manning can't do the same, there is something wrong with Manning. Period.

That said, I think it's waaaay to soon to start making statements like the one above.

crush17
08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Tebow showed the kind of deep threat DT can be. If Manning can't do the same, there is something wrong with Manning. Period.

That said, I think it's waaaay to soon to start making statements like the one above.

LMFAO look at this assclown. Still??? Your boy is about to be on SNF. Over/Under on the dirt balls and interceptions he throws tonight??

TheChamp24
Bottom line is that our starters had their starters down 17-7 after first qtr.....add in our defense was making critical stops, we'd have won this one going away if it were regular season.

What I loved was we scored 24 first half points...when's the last time we saw that?

And basically San Fran had 1 play, a busted coverage play after a botched onside kick attempt that netted them a 45 yard TD pass. Other than that, they showed NOTHING.

I know its preseason, but our 1st stringers dominated a very good 49ers team. Heck, even with Hanie in at QB we did well.

Fight_On!
Manning looked sharp. Best thing to do for the AFC West is to generate pressure without blitzing Peyton too much or he will carve you up. The opposing DL (ala my Raiders) must control the LOS and on O the time of possession.

KipCorrington25
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Nate Irving is reminding me of Nate Webster and that's bad.

dsmoot
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM

I agree with with your statement that he is more than a "game manager". Lets face it, he is a cerebral QB, who at his age should have added "game manager" to his skill set by now. In todays vernacular, a game manager is someone is who just tries to not turn the ball over and let the real skilled players set the tempo of the game. That is about as far from what Manning is to the Denver Broncos right now. He sets the table and the tempo for this team. He is a force that is driving this team which was best said by Decker after the game ... " I don't talk back" referring to Manning.

What Manning reminds me of now is what John Unitas was to the Colts for the last 7 years of his career. He is the field general, demanding of others while setting the example to the rest of the team. His teammates were both incredibly respectful, fearful of him and doing their best to meet his expectations. Unitas did not have the most powerful arm but what he did have was accuracy, a keen sense on how to see and exploit what the other team was giving him and incredible performance under pressure.

These are the same attributes I see in Manning. What a blessing for this organization to get him for whatever time he has left.

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
LMFAO look at this assclown. Still??? Your boy is about to be on SNF. Over/Under on the dirt balls and interceptions he throws tonight??

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

If Tebow, a QB that has issues in the passing game, can make use of DT as a deep threat, Manning should be able to do the same yes? And if Manning can not, there is something wrong with Manning wouldn't you say? Do you actually disagree with my point, or are you too busy being retarded to even know?

Agamemnon
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Manning looked sharp. Best thing to do for the AFC West is to generate pressure without blitzing Peyton too much or he will carve you up. The opposing DL (ala my Raiders) must control the LOS and on O the time of possession.

Yep. That's always been the way to beat Manning.

Fight_On!
08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Yep. That's always been the way to beat Manning.

Easier said than done. Should be a good close game.

kdissette
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
as long as we stay healthy we will rule the AFC and their patchwork defenses.....but we are one major injury away from vanilla defense.....or offense if someone on the line goes down...i hope we pickup a clifton or lutui to at least get some veteran depth up there. But saying we stay heathly we have the best team since 06

Swedish Extrovert
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
SoCal's Thoughts

OFFENSE
1. Manning's best effort yet. He's more of a game manager now than an explosive guy, but his reads are still very sharp and there are very few bad decisions, which lead to a consistently high compleetion percentage. I was happy to see him establish some chemistry with Bey Bey a little bit for once. Stokley remains his go to guy on 3rd down (seem to be running same two route combo's to feature him) and ofcourse Decker is his top guy. Disappointed in Bubba Caldwell. It seems he's 4th at best right now, might be 5th behind Willis if you look at where they played during the game. The two drops don't help either. Encouraged to see that while he is more of a manager, Manning can still make some big plays too, like that deep out route to Bey Bey and the deep ball to Ball while in the face of pressure. Very good performance.

2. McGahee continues to run hard and has good vision. I was impressed with Knowshon's work ethic. He broke some tackles, made people miss and you can see he really tried very hard to get the extra yards and first downs. His running style is still aggravating, but he's definitely a weapon out of the backfield, very god job on YAC when he caught some short passes from Hanie. Hillman has some good burst and acceleration through the line, had a nice 14 yard run. JJ is best perimeter runner, but when he's in, its usually a tip off to some kind of toss play. Still think they keep 4 guys.

3. Too bad V. Green is out a few games, because I think he would be No. 3 right now among TE's. Ingram had a poor game with drops. I'm concerned if one of the top two TE's goes down, as its obvious TE's are important in this offense.

4. Superb pass blocking from OL (and also backs). There were several plays they gave Manning a good 4 seconds. Only one real notable pressure in first half and Manning still completed an amazing fly route. Run blocking is decent, but inconsistent. Biggest issue is how big the gap is between 1st and 2nd team OL. Poor depth.

5. Starting front seven did pretty well. Good to see Doom and Von continuing to make plays. Mays was better than last game and WW was active as well. Looks like Chicago game was just anamoly for Irving, he had an uneven effort. Noticed Methwolfe a couple times. Same issues with 2nd team front seven as with 2nd team OL, big gap in talent. Ayers playing deep into second half isnt a good sign for him, as is the fact that he is missing tackles in backfield. Malik Jackson active yet again with a stuff and strip. Need to find a way to keep him on roster.

6. Secondary did a great job playing 2 Deep with man underneath in first half. Great pass coverage, esp by Champ. Florence was toasted a few times in second half. I'm actually fine with the safety play, at least the starting safeties, I don't blame Moore for the TD, he actually read the most probable route combo given how the routes were developing, which is slant and flat and jumping the slant was the proper thing to do, slant-wheel combo is rare and less likely than slant-flant given how routes were developing. It was really just a great call vs. a man underneath defense, very hard for an OLB to cover all pro TE on a wheel route, esp when being picked.

7. Denver's biggest issue at this point is general depth. Same narrative as Seattle game. While DEN 1st teamers are better than their opponents, when 2nd teamerse come in on offense, they can't move the ball, leads to 3 and outs, 2nd team defense already has issues, and now they have to be on teh field hte whole second half so tackling, gap control etc. breaks down and other team runs wild in second half. Very good performance by 1st teamers against good team. Osweiler has a ways to go, which is to be expected.

Knowshon is awesome in open space. I hope he makes the team, and I hope he stays healthy. I like him not as a traditional back, but as a wide flank recieveing back/bubble screen type of guy.

peacepipe
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
My random thoughts...how ****ing stupid was I scheduling Directv to come install my new dish from the 12-4 block today hoping they'll show up at 12?

Anyone know when's the damn replay on nfln?

tues. at midnight eastern time

TheChamp24
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Nate Irving is reminding me of Nate Webster and that's bad.

Thats funny, I don't remember seeing Irving celebrating a tackle 15 yards down the field, or launching his helmet at the enemy...

pricejj
08-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Bought $100 antenna, was late to work, and still couldn't get the channel on TV.

Jetmeck
08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

you are just plain stupid...the point that DT was a depp threat last year is valid whether you like it or not.........

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
His protection was pretty spotty too. I still wish we had drafted Wilson instead of Osweiler, but there's no reason to throw the guy under the bus because he has some struggles surrounded by guys who probably don't even belong in the NFL for the most part.

Ozweiler is 2 years younger than Wilson. There is no telling how much better each of these QBs will be in 3-4 years. Oz is taller and has the better arm plus he has much less experience so thus you could assume he would have mre upside.

Right now it does not matter. Peyton is the QB for at least the next 3 years. We'll see where OZ is when Peyton hangs it up.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Any injuries? I heard Ball had a rib injury

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Knowshon is awesome in open space. I hope he makes the team, and I hope he stays healthy. I like him not as a traditional back, but as a wide flank recieveing back/bubble screen type of guy.

If denver keeps the FB than I believe they will only keep 3 RBs. Did Omon get any reps today?

theAPAOps5
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Any injuries? I heard Ball had a rib injury

I read that it wasn't thought to be serious. I believe it was Lindsay Jones from the Fox press conference.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
People need to realize that the Broncos 2nd and 3rd string offenses did not help the 2nd and third string defensive units. I marvel at the conclusions of some people here on the Mange as they neglect to realize how many points WERE NOT scored by the Brock let offenses. Lots of 3 and outs with the defense in bad field position.

I know its en vogue here to crap on the 2nd and 3rd string defensive units but when you look at the position the offense put them in then I don't think it's such a huge negetive for this team. JMHO.

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

If Tebow, a QB that has issues in the passing game, can make use of DT as a deep threat, Manning should be able to do the same yes? And if Manning can not, there is something wrong with Manning wouldn't you say? Do you actually disagree with my point, or are you too busy being retarded to even know?

I disagree. With Tebow teams played with 8-9 guys in the box allowing guys to get open deep. They didnt really have to respect the passing game. A lot of DTs big plays were after the play broke down or he had a lot of YAC...

Btw...wasn't the pass to Ball a deep pass?

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
People need to realize that the Broncos 2nd and 3rd string offenses did not help the 2nd and third string defensive units. I marvel at the conclusions of some people here on the Mange as they neglect to realize how many points WERE NOT scored by the Brock let offenses. Lots of 3 and outs with the defense in bad field position.

I know its en vogue here to crap on the 2nd and 3rd string defensive units but when you look at the position the offense put them in then I don't think it's such a huge negetive for this team. JMHO.

Both were equally as bad as the other imo...

canadianbroncosfan
08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
I read that it wasn't thought to be serious. I believe it was Lindsay Jones from the Fox press conference.

So basically less reliable than KCStud

Simply Red
08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Offense

Manning looked great. His ability to get the protections right alone make him awesome and hide our issues at line.
Receivers still had some drops.
Offense looks very ballanced.

Defense

Our backups suck at stopping the run.
It was good to see Dumervil get a sack.
Manning scoring so much will put a lot of pressure on the opponent.

Other

Julius Thomas is done.
I think Stokely makes the team, even though I said I thought he'd get cut before.
They probably only keep 5 wide receivers but will keep four tight ends.
McGahee looked like Megahee.
Go dungbeetle.

kaylore - you spelled 'balanced' incorrectly.

Jekyll15Hyde
08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Bought $100 antenna, was late to work, and still couldn't get the channel on TV.

that's a shame unless you bought a nice Winegard series (or similar) with a amp to go with it.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Both were equally as bad as the other imo...

The offense was worse and sucked in the Seattle game too. Osweiler is a project and yes the WR did drop some passes but that is just part of the game. The good news is Hillman looked decent.

I think people are overreacting about the defense. IMHO it's much like the Broncos defense last year with Tebow in that people say the Broncos defense wasn't that good when in fact they were fighting an uphill battle due to the utter incompetence of the offense.

Same with the second and 3rd team defenses in these last two games.

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
A whole lot of Hanie hatred here. I think this game showed what Hanie can do with a decent O-Line in front of him. I would have liked to have seen what Brock or Weber could have done with that same luxury.

Hanie is going to be #2. I am not sure if he is any better than Weber but he is miles ahead of Oz.

jutang
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
When Fox says they still installing their offense and then drops 17 pts on one of the best defenses in the NFL in 15 minutes, it gives me goosebumps on what the Broncos will do to the AFC west.

Moreno has underachieved but came to fight for a roster spot today. Doubt the knee is fully healed either.

Beadles run blocking is improved, but still struggles with pass blocking. Seems vulnerable to stunts, but I will defer to the better football minds on this board. Big hit on Manning and Hanie's interception I think we're due to Beadles being slow to react. When Kuper makes it back I think Ramirez stays in the starting line up.

Franklin has made progress as a Right Tackle.

Our D looks even better than last year. Del Rio has the LBs playing much better than I envisioned. Depth is a concern.

Simply Red
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
So basically less reliable than KCStud

KCStud is a phenomenal poster.

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
The offense was worse and sucked in the Seattle game too. Osweiler is a project and yes the WR did drop some passes but that is just part of the game. The good news is Hillman looked decent.

I think people are overreacting about the defense. IMHO it's much like the Broncos defense last year with Tebow in that people say the Broncos defense wasn't that good when in fact they were fighting an uphill battle due to the utter incompetence of the offense.

Same with the second and 3rd team defenses in these last two games.

I thougt Hillman looked good as well. You could be right about the D. However, Irving looked like ass out there. The peewee league officials didn't do us any favors on either side of the ball. The drops were pretty annoying.

Kaylore
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM
KCStud is a phenomenal poster.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5cr2uKczt1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

55CrushEm
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I think Moreno solidified his roll as a 3rd down receiving option out of the backfield. Still think RB depth is a major concern.

We're screwed if Decker or Thomas get hurt.

Peyton Manning is the fastest QB at diagnosing defenses post snap in the history of the game.

Absolutely no depth on the offensive interior line.

Nate Irving looked physically weak out there.

Von and Doom are deadly in obvious passing situations. A third defense player (Wolfe, Mays?) is going to benefit from the double teams and chips that are required to stop them.

Yeah, as others pointed out last week......he seems to want to arm tackle.....wtf? I think with about 5:30 left in the game......he makes a horrible arm tackle attempt again......absolutely pathetic.

McDman
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I'd like to see Osweiler behind the first o line. The one he plays behind is just so bad.

McDman
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM

To be fair, the deep ball is the only ball Tebow can throw well. I think we will start seeing deep passes later in the season when Manning, if he does, gets healthier and more fit.

montrose
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Thoughts in regard to the 53:

* Two players I still expect to make the team but wouldn't be completely shocked if one or both were cut: Bubba Caldwell and Drayton Florence. Caldwell's had a nice camp and he can return kicks so I don't think a few drops in a game will do him in, he's also helped that none of the other young WRs really distinguished themselves. I could see Denver looking over the waiver wire at WR. Florence, from what I saw, was pretty good- not great during camp. I thought he made for a nice #4 CB but he's in a tougher spot with two youngsters in Squid and Bolden who can also help in the return game. I still think they make it, but it's not a lock anymore.

* It's not fair but Adam Weber basically had to blow the staff away to have a shot and he didn't do it. Yeah he was surrounded by crap and not put in the best position and I'd argue his entire body of work this preseason/camp has been better than Hanie and Brock... but we all know the NFL's unfair and at this point I'm thinking he's a PS guy again.

* In theory both Beal and Jackson played themselves onto the squad but it could come down to who plays better Thursday. Ayers could be one of those suprising cuts but I get the impression the Broncos opinion of him is talented underachiever and with Hunter out I'm not sure if they'll risk it.

* I think the OL cuts will be relatively easy and expect the Broncos to possibly pickup 1-2 guys at some point in the season's first month or so. They've got a tough call on Philip Blake who they drafted in the 4th but hasn't really stood out. My guess is he sticks but he's one to watch Thursday.

* I have no clue if Leonhard and Brooking make this team without really practicing but considering how bad the backup play has been, it wouldn't suprise me.

Here's my adjusted guess at the 53 heading into tomorrow's 1st cut:

(3) QB: Manning, Hanie, Osweiler
I figure Hanie played himself back on the team during his TD drive. Weber a PS candidate.

(4) RB: McGahee, Ball, Hillman, Gronkowski (FB)
Even though Moreno and Johnson had their moments today, can't keep backup RBs that don't contribute on special teams. I think Moreno could sneak his way on the roster, especially with Ball sore, but he needs to show Thursday he's MUCH BETTER than Ball and Hillman on 3rd down stuff to justify a roster spot.

(5) WR: Decker, D.Thomas, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis
I had Hill on before but considering we'll see Tamme, Dreessen and RBs split wide they may go with just five WRs and put one or two of their youngsters on the PS in case of injury.

(3) TE: Dreessen, Tamme, J.Thomas
Thomas has been basically invisible since hurting his ankle last year but with Green suspended my guess is he sticks as a gameday inactive for at least those first four games. Ingram's hands didn't help him Thursday, otherwise he might've had a shot. After Green's suspension, they could swap him for Thomas.

(9) OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Ramirez, Clark, Blake, Hills
If Kuper were healthy they might've just gone with eight but I go nine here with Hills recent work at Guard as well as Tackle helping him out. I'm guessing they give Blake the benefit, and can justify it with Kuper's injury. Harris just never looked like his old self this preseason.

(8) DL: Dumervil, Warren, Bannan, Wolfe, Beal, Vickerson, Unrein, Jackson
I cut Ayers, even if he is talented the Broncos might just be looking for more high effort guys considering they hope to be holding a lot of leads and will need to be rotating often.

(7) LB: Woodyard, Mays, Miller, Irving, Mohamed, Brooking, Trevathan
Keep an eye on Jerry Franklin and Steven Johnson Thursday - a lights out game could put one on the roster. Keeping Brooking makes no sense in the world outside the fact the scrub defense has been demolished the last few weeks... which is why I kept him.

(11) DB: Bailey, Adams, Moore, Porter, Harris, Carter, Leonhard, Florence, Bolden, Bruton, Thompson
Lots of special teamers with the reserves here, high number of DBs but again following the Broncos philosophy they'll hopefully be in the lead a lot- plus they value the experience of guys like Florence and Leonhard while Bruton, Bolden, Squid, etc. will be the foundation on special teams.

(3) ST: Prater, Colquitt, Paxton

Susp: TE Green, WLB Williams

SoCalBronco
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Wow, Raj you still don't think Moreno will make it? I will defer to you since you have in's all over the Valley, but even if the staff hates him, its clear he's the 2nd best back and is an absolute weapon as a pass reciever. The ballerina is not anywhere what we thought he would be, but he's definitely worth a roster spot....one roster spot is a small price to pay for what should be 35-45 catches and probably a couple TD's this year.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd like to see Osweiler behind the first o line. The one he plays behind is just so bad.

I think we will see lots of Twilight (thank your Rev for this nickname, it does rock) in the Cards game. Perhaps he will look better. He's got potential, he just need maturation.

Kaylore
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM

* Two players I still expect to make the team but wouldn't be completely shocked if one or both were cut: Bubba Caldwell and Drayton Florence. Caldwell's had a nice camp and he can return kicks so I don't think a few drops in a game will do him in, he's also helped that none of the other young WRs really distinguished themselves. I could see Denver looking over the waiver wire at WR. Florence, from what I saw, was pretty good- not great during camp. I thought he made for a nice #4 CB but he's in a tougher spot with two youngsters in Squid and Bolden who can also help in the return game. I still think they make it, but it's not a lock anymore.

* It's not fair but Adam Weber basically had to blow the staff away to have a shot and he didn't do it. Yeah he was surrounded by crap and not put in the best position and I'd argue his entire body of work this preseason/camp has been better than Hanie and Brock... but we all know the NFL's unfair and at this point I'm thinking he's a PS guy again.

* In theory both Beal and Jackson played themselves onto the squad but it could come down to who plays better Thursday. Ayers could be one of those suprising cuts but I get the impression the Broncos opinion of him is talented underachiever and with Hunter out I'm not sure if they'll risk it.

* I think the OL cuts will be relatively easy and expect the Broncos to possibly pickup 1-2 guys at some point in the season's first month or so. They've got a tough call on Philip Blake who they drafted in the 4th but hasn't really stood out. My guess is he sticks but he's one to watch Thursday.

* I have no clue if Leonhard and Brooking make this team without really practicing but considering how bad the backup play has been, it wouldn't suprise me.

I figure Hanie played himself back on the team during his TD drive. Weber a PS candidate.

Even though Moreno and Johnson had their moments today, can't keep backup RBs that don't contribute on special teams. I think Moreno could sneak his way on the roster, especially with Ball sore, but he needs to show Thursday he's MUCH BETTER than Ball and Hillman on 3rd down stuff to justify a roster spot.

I had Hill on before but considering we'll see Tamme, Dreessen and RBs split wide they may go with just five WRs and put one or two of their youngsters on the PS in case of injury.

Thomas has been basically invisible since hurting his ankle last year but with Green suspended my guess is he sticks as a gameday inactive for at least those first four games. Ingram's hands didn't help him Thursday, otherwise he might've had a shot. After Green's suspension, they could swap him for Thomas.

If Kuper were healthy they might've just gone with eight but I go nine here with Hills recent work at Guard as well as Tackle helping him out. I'm guessing they give Blake the benefit, and can justify it with Kuper's injury. Harris just never looked like his old self this preseason.

I cut Ayers, even if he is talented the Broncos might just be looking for more high effort guys considering they hope to be holding a lot of leads and will need to be rotating often.

Keep an eye on Jerry Franklin and Steven Johnson Thursday - a lights out game could put one on the roster. Keeping Brooking makes no sense in the world outside the fact the scrub defense has been demolished the last few weeks... which is why I kept him.

(11) DB: Bailey, Adams, Moore, Porter, Harris, Carter, Leonhard, Florence, Bolden, Bruton, Thompson
Lots of special teamers with the reserves here, high number of DBs but again following the Broncos philosophy they'll hopefully be in the lead a lot- plus they value the experience of guys like Florence and Leonhard while Bruton, Bolden, Squid, etc. will be the foundation on special teams.

They do get to stash two guys on the roster while Green and DJ ride out their suspensions. Surprised you have us with only three tight ends.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM

can you please justify the Mohammed love? I saw lots of Johnson on the field and some Franklin but I don't remember even seeing Mohammed play. I would love to know why you think he will make this team.

BowlenBall
08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
kaylore - you spelled 'balanced' incorrectly.

At least he doesn't use Comic Sans as his default font.

cutthemdown
08-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Moreno looks slow out there but he was running hard. You can just see how he isn't as fast as the other rbs. Even old man Mcgahee looks quicker then Moreno.

montrose
08-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Honestly, the way the game has changed over the last five years I think of almost all the good QBs in the league basically as glorified game managers to an extent.

With INTs going down and completion % going up, QBing these days is kind of like: take what the defense gives you, don't force things and we can put up 25 or more points without issue. The rules are just setup that way, no more need for the Favre-like gunslingers. Brees, Brady, Rodgers: even on their big plays you'll notice they're not really taking big chances. Just taking what's there, Peyton's the same way.

razorwire77
08-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Moreno looks slow out there but he was running hard. You can just see how he isn't as fast as the other rbs. Even old man Mcgahee looks quicker then Moreno.

He looked decent as a receiving option out of the backfield. I think he probably made the team tonight, although Moreno as RB # 2 won't cut it. I liked what I saw by Hillman, but you can tell he's still a work in progress.

Barring grabbing a RB off of waivers, I think we'll probably see a true game day depth chart of

Willis
Hillman
Moreno
Ball.

Although because Knowshon doesn't play special teams, all bets are off.

montrose
08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow, Raj you still don't think Moreno will make it? I will defer to you since you have in's all over the Valley, but even if the staff hates him, its clear he's the 2nd best back and is an absolute weapon as a pass reciever. The ballerina is not anywhere what we thought he would be, but he's definitely worth a roster spot....one roster spot is a small price to pay for what should be 35-45 catches and probably a couple TD's this year.

No in's here, just numbers. While you and I think he can be a valuable weapon in the pass game I don't think the staff views him as being that much better at it, if at all, than Ball (hence Ball being used in that role with the 1st unit the last two weeks despite Knowshon getting those reps with the ones earlier in camp). They have high hopes for Hillman and I'm not sure they'll be run/pass balanced enough to justify another tailback that doesn't help anywhere else on the team. Note, I disagree with the them if I'm accurate.

They do get to stash two guys on the roster while Green and DJ ride out their suspensions. Surprised you have us with only three tight ends.

Yeah, I just don't think any if the backups have blown them away and Manning's looked a lot better out if 3WR personnel than 2TE the last two weeks.

can you please justify the Mohammed love? I saw lots of Johnson on the field and some Franklin but I don't remember even seeing Mohammed play. I would love to know why you think he will make this team.

He was hurt most the week, that's why he didn't play much, if at all. They just like him a STer, although I think he has PS eligibility still and that might be an option. Overall, he's been running with the 2s all camp, can play MLB and SLB, and is on nearly every ST unit- a formula for a roster spot.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 10:08 PM
He was hurt most the week, that's why he didn't play much, if at all. They just like him a STer, although I think he has PS eligibility still and that might be an option. Overall, he's been running with the 2s all camp, can play MLB and SLB, and is on nearly every ST unit- a formula for a roster spot.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight.

Taco John
08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I loved all the texts I was getting from my buddies during the game about how good the Broncos offense looks.

That was nice, but SF was running the most vanilla stuff out there, so I didn't feel as good about it as I'm hoping I'll feel during week one. ;D

Taco John
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Honestly, the way the game has changed over the last five years I think of almost all the good QBs in the league basically as glorified game managers to an extent.

With INTs going down and completion % going up, QBing these days is kind of like: take what the defense gives you, don't force things and we can put up 25 or more points without issue. The rules are just setup that way, no more need for the Favre-like gunslingers. Brees, Brady, Rodgers: even on their big plays you'll notice they're not really taking big chances. Just taking what's there, Peyton's the same way.

They've definitely been moving towards a more "Arena league" style of football than I wish it were. I've always been a big fan of a solid running game that wears down defenses, and that seems to be a passe thing these days.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I loved all the texts I was getting from my buddies during the game about how good the Broncos offense looks.

That was nice, but SF was running the most vanilla stuff out there, so I didn't feel as good about it as I'm hoping I'll feel during week one. ;D

I could have sworn that yes, indeed, the Niners did blitz Manning. Is that not true? Perhaps Harbaugh was afraid to blitz because he knew Manning would make them pay?

Anyhow, they did blitz Manning.

canadianbroncosfan
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM

I think Moreno was thinking he was playing for a spot today. He played hard and made some nice plays....today. We'll see if it continues. I say he for sure makes it past tomorrow's cuts, and we'll see how he is in the final preseason game.

NFLBRONCO
08-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Moreno will do enough to make the roster. Two seconds later he'll hurt himself.

canadianbroncosfan
08-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Moreno will do enough to make the roster. Two seconds later he'll hurt himself.

Sad but true

ZONA
08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Knosho showed some fight for his job he still can't read and react to save his life. M. Jackson earned a roster spot.

Totally agree. Moreno just doesn't show good feel at the POA. He's good in open space but can't pick a hole to save his life.

No way the Broncos cut M Jackson. No way. Most young players, when they get to the ball they're happy to get the tackle. This guy is there, while making the tackle, and strips the ball. Saw him attempt another strip on a different tackle. That's a guy right there who is listening to coaching and actually taking that to the field.

ZONA
08-26-2012, 11:11 PM

What was vanilla? If you're not blitzing alot, then you're playing to stop the run or playing more coverage. We did well in both those areas. And it's not as if we threw in a complex offensive package either. I don't try to make it more then it is but I don't try to take anything away from what the offense did to their starters today either. We out played them. Simple.

pricejj
08-27-2012, 01:13 AM
that's a shame unless you bought a nice Winegard series (or similar) with a amp to go with it.

Thanks for the heads up

go_broncos
08-27-2012, 01:32 AM

Both Aldon Smith and NaVorro Bowman didn't play.
But..the offense clearly showed lot of improvements.

pricejj
08-27-2012, 02:25 AM
1. QB (3) - (Manning, Hanie, Osweiler)
Thanks for sucking, Brosweiler. You just cost an OL/TE a roster spot.

2. RB (5) - (McGahee, Ball, Hillman, Gronkowski, X)
Best RB of Moreno, J. Johnson, and Omon, during game 4, makes it on the roster. Why? Because we don't have an RB to put on the practice squad. That will give us 5 RB's.

3. TE (3) - (Tamme, Dreessen, J. Thomas)
We need a real 3rd TE badly. Sick of seeing J. Thomas on a milk carton. Dude needs to show up, like yesterday. Probably end up signing a dependable vet from the trash heap, and cutting J. Thomas, when it's all said and done. Might even get Daniel Fells back.

4. OL (8) - (Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Ramirez, Clark, Blake)
No reason to keep 9 OL with Kuper coming back in a few weeks. We can practice squad Adam Grant and? Tony Hills.

5. WR (5) - (DT, Decker, Stokley, Willis, Caldwell)
Colts always only kept 5 WR's

6. DL (9) - (Dumervil, Warren, Bannan, Wolfe, Beal, Vickerson, Unrein, Jackson, Ayers)
Yeah, I know it's a big number, but Ayers is just too valuable to let go. DL is looking strong.

7. LB (6) - (Miller, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Brooking, Trevathan)
Sorry Steven Johnson, we happen to have a glut on the DL. Don't worry, you'll get called up from the PS as soon as Brooking gets hurt again. Hope nobody else picks you up.

8. CB (6) - (Bailey, Porter, Harris, T. Carter, Florence, Bolden)
Bolden is lucky he was a 4th round draft pick. Tony Carter is the 4th best CB on the team. I have no idea what anyone sees in Squid (other than the one great special teams play he had 2 years ago). Goodbye, nice knowing ya.

9. Safety (5) - (Adams, Leonhard, Moore, Q. Carter, Bruton)

Anymore screw-ups from Rahim, and Leonhard will get a chance to start. Bruton makes the squad purely based on ST play, because he sucks as a Safety.

10. ST (3) - (Prater, Colquitt, Paxton)

Rock Chalk
08-27-2012, 05:03 AM
My boy Steven Johnson had 3 straight stuffs at the goal line.

I hope he makes the team.

broncoblue
08-27-2012, 05:50 AM
starters.....V.Good
backups .....worrying.

Old Dude
08-27-2012, 06:32 AM
1. QB (3) - (Manning, Hanie, Osweiler)
Thanks for sucking, Brosweiler. You just cost an OL/TE a roster spot.

2. RB (5) - (McGahee, Ball, Hillman, Gronkowski, X)
Best RB of Moreno, J. Johnson, and Omon, during game 4, makes it on the roster. Why? Because we don't have an RB to put on the practice squad. That will give us 5 RB's.

3. TE (3) - (Tamme, Dreessen, J. Thomas)
We need a real 3rd TE badly. Sick of seeing J. Thomas on a milk carton. Dude needs to show up, like yesterday. Probably end up signing a dependable vet from the trash heap, and cutting J. Thomas, when it's all said and done. Might even get Daniel Fells back.

4. OL (8) - (Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Ramirez, Clark, Blake)
No reason to keep 9 OL with Kuper coming back in a few weeks. We can practice squad Adam Grant and? Tony Hills.

5. WR (5) - (DT, Decker, Stokley, Willis, Caldwell)
Colts always only kept 5 WR's

6. DL (9) - (Dumervil, Warren, Bannan, Wolfe, Beal, Vickerson, Unrein, Jackson, Ayers)
Yeah, I know it's a big number, but Ayers is just too valuable to let go. DL is looking strong.

7. LB (6) - (Miller, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Brooking, Trevathan)
Sorry Steven Johnson, we happen to have a glut on the DL. Don't worry, you'll get called up from the PS as soon as Brooking gets hurt again. Hope nobody else picks you up.

8. CB (6) - (Bailey, Porter, Harris, T. Carter, Florence, Bolden)
Bolden is lucky he was a 4th round draft pick. Tony Carter is the 4th best CB on the team. I have no idea what anyone sees in Squid (other than the one great special teams play he had 2 years ago). Goodbye, nice knowing ya.

9. Safety (5) - (Adams, Leonhard, Moore, Q. Carter, Bruton)

Anymore screw-ups from Rahim, and Leonhard will get a chance to start. Bruton makes the squad purely based on ST play, because he sucks as a Safety.

10. ST (3) - (Prater, Colquitt, Paxton)

That looks about right, depending on who, if anyone, Denver picks up from other teams.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-27-2012, 06:47 AM

This.

Hate it, but it's absolutely true. After the pick yesterday, he seemed to still be playing with some confidence. Brock, on the other hand, seems to be thinking too much, needs to just go out and play.

Do I know how cliche those two things are? Yes. Do I care? Not really. Brock looks like a robot right now, trying not to make mistakes. He's holding the ball too long and seems to be pressing.

Hanie is just playing.

Hanie should get the second job. If Brock picks it up during the season, maybe he'll be elevated. Or maybe he'll sit all year at #3, and have a shot to take over #2 next year.

I was surprisingly impressed with Weber.

Kaylore
08-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I just don't think any if the backups have blown them away and Manning's looked a lot better out if 3WR personnel than 2TE the last two weeks.

...and yet you have us only keeping 5 wideouts. I think it's one or the other. It's either 6 receivers and three TE's or 5 WR's and 4 TE's.

montrose
08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
...and yet you have us only keeping 5 wideouts. I think it's one or the other. It's either 6 receivers and three TE's or 5 WR's and 4 TE's.

In part that's because I expect a TE from another team to possibly get a look.

t-diddy
08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I may have missed it but is there any plans for you guys to do a podcast before the season starts? I'd love to get everybody's take on the offseason and preseason prior to game one... Maybe once the final 53 is announced?

ScottXray
08-27-2012, 07:57 AM
oddly enough, the QB with the most seniority here (Weber) is going to be put on the PS (if we even keep him) simply because Jack Elway's dad wanted to draft Osweiler in the 2nd round. Osweiler makes the squad by default because of his draft position and because somebody would grab him just to screw with Jack Elway's dad were he to try and shuffle Osweiler onto the PS. Hanie should make it simply because he's the only backup with NFL game experience. that leaves Weber in a tough spot through no fault of his own.

in my judgement,

1st - Manning
2nd - Hanie
3rd - Weber
4th - Osweiler

maybe Osweiler will be really good in 2-3 years time. but right now, his presence is probably going to force Weber out the door.

Agree with your rating. Osweiler should go to PS and Weber should be the clear #3. If he actually got any reps with the Ones I think he'd be the #2. His balls were essentially ALL on target ...the receivers just stunk and the line didn't protect wel. Osweiler has upside..but his accuracy issues and decisions put him behind Weber for now. I don't think he will be stolen off waivers based on his play, but because of his draft position, someone would steal him just to mess with Elway.

Wish we had taken Russell Wilson instead. Seattle has named him starter over Flynn...rightly.

Tombstone RJ
08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Agree with your rating. Osweiler should go to PS and Weber should be the clear #3. If he actually got any reps with the Ones I think he'd be the #2. His balls were essentially ALL on target ...the receivers just stunk and the line didn't protect wel. Osweiler has upside..but his accuracy issues and decisions put him behind Weber for now. I don't think he will be stolen off waivers based on his play, but because of his draft position, someone would steal him just to mess with Elway.

Wish we had taken Russell Wilson instead. Seattle has named him starter over Flynn...rightly.

As much as I disliked the Osweiler pick there's no way the Broncos try to put him on the practice squad because another team will definitely pick him up, for instance, just look at the utter suckiness of kc's QBs as just one example.

Nah, Twilight makes the team. He's a project, he was drafted as a project and he will continue to be a project for the forseeable future.

socalorado
08-27-2012, 08:15 AM
As much as I disliked the Osweiler pick there's no way the Broncos try to put him on the practice squad because another team will definitely pick him up, for instance, just look at the utter suckiness of kc's QBs as just one example.

Nah, Twilight makes the team. He's a project, he was drafted as a project and he will continue to be a project for the forseeable future.

Agreed.
Osweillers not going to the PS.
And Osweiller had no help from the pure crap O-line. And the WRs dropped a bunch of his balls, which were on target.
Osweiller needs to get what Hanie got. Reps with the 1st team offense.

dbfan21
08-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm in late, but I wanted to throw out some props to Vickerson. That dude got huge in the offseason and he's playing with a mean streak I haven't seen from him in the past. I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing him perform well all season long.

BroncoBeavis
08-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Oz isn't going anywhere. Preseason around here is funny. You don't waive a rookie QB you just drafted in the 2nd round based on 3 preseason games. It just doesn't happen.

And if it did, the Raiders would probably pick him up just to dig at Elway. Or the Chiefs would take him and start him week 1 because really what else do they have going for them? :)

peacepipe
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM

he wasn't going to take the starting job from manning. besides they would've kept TT if they were going to draft a player like wilson.

canadianbroncosfan
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Oz isn't going anywhere. Preseason around here is funny. You don't waive a rookie QB you just drafted in the 2nd round based on 3 preseason games. It just doesn't happen.

And if it did, the Raiders would probably pick him up just to dig at Elway. Or the Chiefs would take him and start him week 1 because really what else do they have going for them? :)

I don't know why so many people think this is going to happen. Dude isn't going anywhere.

razorwire77
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM

:rofl:

You actually think a team wouldn't snatch up a 6'6 2nd round draft pick QB to its active roster? He'd never make it to a practice squad. Weber had all camp to wow the coaches and move up the depth chart and by all of the accounts that I've read he basically looked like a 3rd string QB. He looked pretty decent against 3rd, and 4th stringers in one quarter of one game. Honestly, it won't really matter if its Weber, or Hanie, or Brock, if Manning gets hurt, we probably will lose and lose often.

Dedhed
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Really? After going 4/8 for 38 yards people are back on the Weber bandwagon and think we should keep him over Osweiler who went 4/9 and had WRs drop at least 13 passes?

This place makes me laugh.

vancejohnson82
08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Really? After going 4/8 for 38 yards people are back on the Weber bandwagon and think we should keep him over Osweiler who went 4/9 and had WRs drop at least 13 passes?

haha, seriously....Brock looked fine...not sure what people were watching

broncocalijohn
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
If malik make?s it, does Blatnick (#77) get cut and then signed to practice squad???

TheChamp24
08-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Tell me why we need to keep 6 WR's or 4 TE's.
Short answer is, we don't.

lolcopter
08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
he wasn't going to take the starting job from manning. besides they would've kept TT if they were going to draft a player like wilson.

wtf are you blabbering about? Wilson and tebow are nothing alike

vancejohnson82
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
wtf are you blabbering about? Wilson and tebow are nothing alike

well played

gyldenlove
08-27-2012, 12:14 PM

I think we will keep 5 WRs and 3 TEs as well, especially with Green on suspension, it gives us some weeks to evaluate people on the bubble without compromizing the TE position in case of long term injuries. I imagine we will go to 5 and 4 when Green comes back at the cost of a linebacker or CB.

BroncoBeavis
08-27-2012, 12:14 PM

4/8 is 50%. 4/9 is under 50%.

This is the only stat that matters in the NFL. :)

razorwire77
08-27-2012, 12:17 PM

The QB drafted as a project looks a little bit like a project. Everybody panic.

Requiem
08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
We should pick up Darrell Hackney to back-up Peyton.

broncocalijohn
08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
We should pick up Darrell Hackney to back-up Peyton.

Why? Darius Jackson is only across the street from Dove Valley at the local park. We ave on bus fair if we go that route.

razorwire77
08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Why? Darius Jackson is only across the street from Dove Valley at the local park. We ave on bus fair if we go that route.

Maybe Jeff Lewis has recovered from his injury and can give it a go.

Denver Bronco56
08-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I was hoping we could get Bradley Van Pelt to backup Manning

TheChamp24
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Bubby Brister's got this folks.

cutthemdown
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I think Hanie good enough to back up Manning. If our D played well we could win a few games here and there during a manning injury. Any significant Manning injury the season over anyways.

BroncoBeavis
08-27-2012, 02:07 PM

Are you talking about Jarious?

Play2win
08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
:gus:

Denver Bronco56
08-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you talking about Jarious?

Jarious Jackson on madden 2003 or what not was a SLOW mike vick... i used to put him in an run around all day haha

BroncoBeavis
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Jarious Jackson on madden 2003 or what not was a SLOW mike vick... i used to put him in an run around all day haha

I was a 2k'er back in those days. 2k3 was awesome because you could still play TD as long as you didn't take any of the roster updates. :)

Don't think I ever tried Jarious out though. He was kind of a camp champ Madise Award sensation one of those years wasn't he? I remember hearing people talking him up anyway.

pricejj
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Got a chance to watch the first half of the Broncos/Niners game last night:

1. Matthew Willis played well. Though he let one sail through his hands on a bubble-screen, he came up with a crucial 3rd and 6, and caught a nice 8 or 9 yard slant with very tight coverage. I heard he had some mental mistakes in the second half, but from what I saw in the first half, he will make this team, and deserves it.

2. Ronnie Hillman had a nice 4 yard run up the middle when it looked like there was nothing there. He hit the hole quickly, and squirted up the field for a respectable gain.

3. Knowshon Moreno may not have the speed or elusiveness of a primary back, but he fights for yards, and had a great 6-yard pick-up off right tackle in traffic. That coupled with his solid receptions ensure him a roster spot.

4. Joe Mays play has improved throughout the preseason. His role is essential if the Defense is going to be able to stop the run, and he is starting to come into form. Just what we need to see for this time of year. He had some violent hits and tackles.

5. Wesley Woodyard attacked the ball well, and eased my concerns about WLB until D.J. gets back. He had a nice backfield hit (though he didn't wrap up), and a fumble recovery.

6. The addition of Chris Gronkowski on several running plays out of the I-formation enabled Willis McGahee to pick-up significant yardage. It looks like he is a better FB than Larsen. His addition definitely gives the running game a boost...exactly what you want to see.

7. The Offensive line played extremely well, keeping the DL off of Manning, and opening up holes in the running game (at times). With a continued commitment to running the ball, run-blocking should improve. Franklin's pass-blocking concerns have all but disappeared. Ramirez is filling in well.

8. The 1st string Defense appeared to hold the LOS well. Unrein had a couple good plays behind the LOS. I really enjoyed the variation in different looks across the front, with Miller and Wolfe moving frequently. Hopefully Wolfe plays himself into game-shape and can start contributing on a consistent basis.

9. A couple great catches early from DT. The dude is a stud. Our top trio of WR's is lights out...Decker was running some great routes...def good to see.

10. Hate on Lance Ball all you want, but all he does is catch the rock. The 36-yard pass reception, while Manning was clobbered, was epic. Had a couple other good catches with tight coverage as well. Good to see a dependable pass-catcher.

11. McGahee showed why he is a top 10 NFL RB. Liked to see the pass-completion and run after...unexpected versatility.

crush17
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Got a chance to watch the first half of the Broncos/Niners game last night:

1. Matthew Willis played well. Though he let one sail through his hands on a bubble-screen, he came up with a crucial 3rd and 6, and caught a nice 8 or 9 yard slant with very tight coverage. I heard he had some mental mistakes in the second half, but from what I saw in the first half, he will make this team, and deserves it.

I'm sorry, but pitching the ball backwards on a punt return from the 3 yard line to a player on the 1 yard line is just bush-league.

That kind of mistake will not be tolerated in the regular season.

pricejj
08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry, but pitching the ball backwards on a punt return from the 3 yard line to a player on the 1 yard line is just bush-league.

That kind of mistake will not be tolerated in the regular season.

That happened in the 2nd half...which I didn't see. Bet he won't do it again. All in all, a solid performance for our #4 WR.