PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay out of control?

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Wasn't the whole reason the NFL didn't want to approve instant replay back in the day because they were afraid it would make the games longer and slow it down?

Last year every TD was reviewed and now this year every turnover is reviewed. Isn't the NFL slowly turning into it's worst fear?

Why not just give coaches 2 or 3 reviews per half and remove the loss of a timeout? Wouldn't that be faster than dudes reviewing every TD and turnover? This way the no brainer reviews are not needed and the ones in question are the coaches responsibility.

After all if there are really more than 4 reviews needed per side then the officals are not getting it done and shouldn't be in the league.

Thoughts?

gyldenlove
08-25-2012, 07:43 PM
One reason they are doing so many reviews right now is because of the crappy refs - the guys in the reviews booths are not refs so they are the same people who are always there. They have been trying really hard to make the replacement refs seem less ****ty and one way to do that is to take away the decisions from them.

Beantown Bronco
08-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Nothing else in the world of professional sports is worse than the last "minute" of the average NBA game.......but the NFL is doing its best to test that theory.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 07:52 PM
One reason they are doing so many reviews right now is because of the crappy refs - the guys in the reviews booths are not refs so they are the same people who are always there. They have been trying really hard to make the replacement refs seem less ****ty and one way to do that is to take away the decisions from them.

I thought they made this change back when they changed the overtime rules at an owners meeting.

I think it is lame to go on for years talking about how instant replay would slow the game down and hurt it for so long and cost a lot of teams games that should have had plays over turned only to now review EVERY TD and TO.

Give the HC's 2-3 reviews without penalty per half and let them decide when to stop the action.

Man-Goblin
08-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Wasn't the whole reason the NFL didn't want to approve instant replay back in the day because they were afraid it would make the games longer and slow it down?

Last year every TD was reviewed and now this year every turnover is reviewed. Isn't the NFL slowly turning into it's worst fear?

Why not just give coaches 2 or 3 reviews per half and remove the loss of a timeout? Wouldn't that be faster than dudes reviewing every TD and turnover? This way the no brainer reviews are not needed and the ones in question are the coaches responsibility.

After all if there are really more than 4 reviews needed per side then the officals are not getting it done and shouldn't be in the league.

Thoughts?

They usually go to commercial after turnovers anyway, so I don't think it'll be any slower than last year.

Mogulseeker
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, actually. NFL coaches are extremely bright people. This adds another element of strategy to the game.

Turd_Ferguson
08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't like Replay. I particularly hate that a player can fumble, a ref can blow the play dead, and replay can still overturn the refs mistake and give to ball to the team that recovered the "fumble" after the whistle had blown. Either way if there has to be replay why is it not done by a guy in the booth watching monitors instead of having the ref on field walk to the sometimes working booth on the sidelines, wait for it to be loaded, then watch the replay several times, and then make the call? Just have the guy in the booth call down and say "You guys screwed up that pass was not complete Broncos ball on the 50."

Mogulseeker
08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't like Replay. I particularly hate that a player can fumble, a ref can blow the play dead, and replay can still overturn the refs mistake and give to ball to the team that recovered the "fumble" after the whistle had blown. Either way if there has to be replay why is it not done by a guy in the booth watching monitors instead of having the ref on field walk to the sometimes working booth on the sidelines, wait for it to be loaded, then watch the replay several times, and then make the call? Just have the guy in the booth call down and say "You guys screwed up that pass was not complete Broncos ball on the 50."

That doesn't sound right. I think a dead play os a dead play.

I think if there is a fumble called, you can challenge the recovery.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 08:35 PM

I think at least for TD's and TO's they do it in the booth not on the ground. Not sure if they still do it the old way for coaches reviews.

That One Guy
08-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I always thought each coach should get 2-3 failed reviews per game. If the refs keep blowing calls and he keeps getting it right, he should be able to challenge their every decision. The current rule that a spot challenge must change a 1st down or touchdown ruling would keep it from being overly trivial. Allow coaches to challenge as often as they want until they get 2-3 blown and then you can put it back into the coaches hands again. Those who have a vested interest (the teams) can review it faster and more accurately than the refs who end up coming up with rules like this where they just review everything.

KipCorrington25
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Reviewing is fine but don't most of us at home review the replay and get it right in like what 30 seconds max? So why does it take them 5 minutes?

Do it but speed it up for christ's sake.

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Thoughts?

I think the games were shorter this year.

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't understand why you lose a challenge when winning the challenge. As long as you get it right, you should be able to challenge as many times as you want.

I also think that, even if the play was blown dead, it should still be challengable. Like in our playoff game last year against Pitt. It was obviously a lateral but because the play was blown dead it didn't matter. On a play like that, i think it should still be able to be over turned. Broncos get the ball where Doom gained posetion of the football.

Lycan
08-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Most of the time you don't even notice them reviewing TDs. It's only when there is something unclear (did the feet touch etc.) that they take a little time.

I like it, so what if it takes a few minutes to get the call right. I'd rather spend a few minutes waiting for them to make a decision than spend a few months cursing the refs for screwing us out of a win.

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't understand why you lose a challenge when winning the challenge. As long as you get it right, you should be able to challenge as many times as you want.

I also think that, even if the play was blown dead, it should still be challengable. Like in our playoff game last year against Pitt. It was obviously a lateral but because the play was blown dead it didn't matter. On a play like that, i think it should still be able to be over turned. Broncos get the ball where Doom gained posetion of the football.

I'll try to exlpain it to you. If a play is blown dead all the players on the field are suppsed to stop playing, thus instant reply would not work.

maher_tyler
08-26-2012, 12:28 AM
I'll try to exlpain it to you. If a play is blown dead all the players on the field are suppsed to stop playing, thus instant reply would not work.

Something needs to change...it almost cost us that game

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Something needs to change...it almost cost us that game

rules are rules who cares as long as they are the same for everyone.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Refs are so incompetent they had to review a punt that was downed at the 4. They ruled it a touchback. 4 yards out. Had to review I realize it was downed at the 4. That should tell you how bad this is going to get.