PDA

View Full Version : OT Rest in peace Neil Armstrong

Cutler4Life
08-25-2012, 01:57 PM
One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Thank you for taking it Mr. Armstrong. Prayers and condolences to your family

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19381098

Broncochica
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
RIP Neil Armstrong, a true American Hero. So sad to hear the news, we have lost a legend! :(

gyldenlove
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
A true hero and inspritation to an entire generation of young people, epitomizing so many of the best qualities in humans - he will be greatly missed.

Pontius Pirate
08-25-2012, 02:11 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/25/A7GG6K5nn0yFgMUND5fWIQ2.jpg

Kaylore
08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I was going to start this thread then figured Broncosteven would have by now. RIP to a world legend.

OBF1
08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
One of the worlds greatest pioneers and a true American hero.

RIP Mr Armstrong... I can only imagine the views you are going to be seeing from heaven.

UberBroncoMan
08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Sad day for us all.

SoCalBronco
08-25-2012, 02:49 PM
RIP Mr. Armstrong. Sorry Steven.

brncs_fan
08-25-2012, 03:15 PM
The first man on the moon now belongs to the heavens. RIP Mr. Armstrong.

lonestar
08-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Just saw this on Germany TV. Over here he really looked old.. More than his years should have been..

gunns
08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Thank you for an awesome moment Mr. Armstrong and the bravery it took to do it. I wonder what wonderful things you are learning about it all now. One step, now the next step.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 03:38 PM
No WAY!

I just saw this and nearly welled up in tears.

Neil was the perfect guy to be the 1st to walk on the moon. He was a true professional and cool under fire. Buzz while still professional insisted on holding a brief mass after they landed and everything was secure. Neil saw during the decent of Apollo 11 that they were going into a boulder field and over shot their intial target. Neil calmly took over manual control (the stick) and with fuel burning past the abort point of no return found a spot to land and brought the Eagle down with 5 seconds of fuel left. He never panicked Gene later said there was nothing more to do than count out the fuel remaining. I doubt Apollo 11 would have been such a success without Neil.

Post flight Neil could have cashed in big time but he didn't even author a book, instead he took a teaching job in Ohio near where he grew up and tried to live a quiet normal life even as his marriage ended in divorce and he struggled with being the 1st man to walk on the moon.

My favorite reminices of Neil come from the book "At the edge of Space" written by Milt Thompson. Milt paints a picture of a calm test pilot under extreme circumstances testing new hardware. It was in the X-15 program Neil became worthy of being the 1st man to walk on the moon.

God speed Neil Armstrong. I hope your soul finds the peace it has been looking for the past 40 years.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Just saw this on Germany TV. Over here he really looked old.. More than his years should have been..

He looked good up until he had a heart attack about a year or 2 ago.

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
RIP....Mr. Armstrong.

He was born about 45 minutes to an hour from Toledo in Wapakoneta, Ohio.

My grandparents on my mom's side lived close to Wapakoneta and I went to the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum located there a few times when I was growing up.

I saw him once in a Cracker Barrel near Cincinnati and he seemed like a really nice guy.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
RIP....Mr. Armstrong.

He was born about 45 minutes to an hour from Toledo in Wapakoneta, Ohio.

My grandparents on my mom's side lived close to Wapakoneta and I went to the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum located there a few times when I was growing up.

I saw him once in a Cracker Barrel near Cincinnati and he seemed like a really nice guy.

Anyone know which Cracker Barrel Gene eats at?

Great stuff SSJ!

Fedaykin
08-25-2012, 04:10 PM
RIP Mr. Armstrong:

"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow." - Neil Armstrong

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Anyone know which Cracker Barrel Gene eats at?

Great stuff SSJ!

It was cool....I didn't want to bug him while he was eating, but he and his group were milling around in the store portion of the restaurant for a few minutes when they were done eating and I shook his hand and thanked him for his service to our country and he was very gracious and polite.

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I know he lived down near Cincinnati in a burb of Nati called Indian Hill, Ohio.

I looked it up after I met him and saw that he lived down there.

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
I know he lived down near Cincinnati in a burb of Nati called Indian Hill, Ohio.

I looked it up after I met him and saw that he lived down there.

He lived in Ohio ever since he left NASA. He just wanted to live a small town life and teach. For a man who had the world at his feet he never once cashed in on his achievement.

theAPAOps5
08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
I can only imagine the views you are going to be seeing from heaven.

......Again!

An American hero, someone I want my kids to look up to. RIP and enjoy heaven again!

broncocalijohn
08-25-2012, 05:19 PM
An American hero. Great if kids want to grow up like Neil and therefore strive with booksmarts instead of going for sports. Neil did everything from astronaut to teaching and being one of the best trumpet players when his arms weren't getting stretched. Oh, I wish I wasn't on my phone so I could post pictures today! Thanks Armstrong!

Stuck in Cali
08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
A true American icon. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Archedamian
08-25-2012, 06:06 PM
This news makes me really sad.

Rohirrim
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
A thousand years from now his name will still be remembered. A true, American hero. RIP

Hulamau
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
No WAY!

I just saw this and nearly welled up in tears.

Neil was the perfect guy to be the 1st to walk on the moon. He was a true professional and cool under fire. Buzz while still professional insisted on holding a brief mass after they landed and everything was secure. Neil saw during the decent of Apollo 11 that they were going into a boulder field and over shot their intial target. Neil calmly took over manual control (the stick) and with fuel burning past the abort point of no return found a spot to land and brought the Eagle down with 5 seconds of fuel left. He never panicked Gene later said there was nothing more to do than count out the fuel remaining. I doubt Apollo 11 would have been such a success without Neil.

Post flight Neil could have cashed in big time but he didn't even author a book, instead he took a teaching job in Ohio near where he grew up and tried to live a quiet normal life even as his marriage ended in divorce and he struggled with being the 1st man to walk on the moon.

My favorite reminices of Neil come from the book "At the edge of Space" written by Milt Thompson. Milt paints a picture of a calm test pilot under extreme circumstances testing new hardware. It was in the X-15 program Neil became worthy of being the 1st man to walk on the moon.

God speed Neil Armstrong. I hope your soul finds the peace it has been looking for the past 40 years.

Yep, he was truly the definition of a Humble Hero ... Thanks Neil!

broncosteven
08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Looking at the moon was sad tonight knowing the 1st man to walk on it's surface is no longer with us.

I just hope mankind's greatest accomplishments are not in our past.

loborugger
08-25-2012, 11:47 PM
In light of his passing today, I snoped the story about Armstrong and his childhood neighbor. It was predictable false. That is kinda disappointing as it woulda made the legend even greater.

myMind
08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Luckiest man to have lived, may his soul rest in peace.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, and really dont want to stir the pot, but...

If Neil was the first man to set foot on the moon, how was there a camera set up outside of the lander to record the famous moment? Video cameras in those days were rather cumbersome and would not have survived the journey from earth if external. Any insight into the methods used to have a camera outside of the ship would be appreciated. Was it perhaps stored on board and lowered through a port after landing?

Pontius Pirate
08-26-2012, 02:11 AM
I will forever remember the day when Neil Armstrong landed on Mars. It was an amazing day. My boner was warm. When he landed, I was like "that's gay." And then I took a dump.

RIP Neil Armstrong.

Cutler4Life
08-26-2012, 02:44 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cwZb2mqId0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boogerboots
08-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Hope this thread doesn't unravel into another mindless conspiracy theory trashheap. ::)

Sad to see such a humble hero pass on but he truly lived an incredible life. To set one of the nations great milestones while not being on this planet, is truly remarkable even by today's standards.

I just hope we all don't lose our sense of adventure and exploration in the wake of "today's economy" and keep advancing upon Neil's accomplishments.

Rest in peace Mr. Armstrong and thank you.

Bacchus
08-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Hope this thread doesn't unravel into another mindless conspiracy theory trashheap. ::)

Sad to see such a humble hero pass on but he truly lived an incredible life. To set one of the nations great milestones while not being on this planet, is truly remarkable even by today's standards.

I just hope we all don't lose our sense of adventure and exploration in the wake of "today's economy" and keep advancing upon Neil's accomplishments.

Rest in peace Mr. Armstrong and thank you.

I think we can all agree that Neil Armstrong was an American hero even though the moon landing was a fake.

menonite
08-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Luckiest man to have lived, may his soul rest in peace.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, and really dont want to stir the pot, but...

If Neil was the first man to set foot on the moon, how was there a camera set up outside of the lander to record the famous moment? Video cameras in those days were rather cumbersome and would not have survived the journey from earth if external. Any insight into the methods used to have a camera outside of the ship would be appreciated. Was it perhaps stored on board and lowered through a port after landing?

This page provides links to a lot of info about the missions camera setup:

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/02/24/30207/

Drunk Monkey
08-26-2012, 06:57 AM
RIP he was a true hero of Humanity. He helped take us places previous generations only dreamed of. We need more men like him.

Tombstone RJ
08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
RIP Neil Armstrong, without your cool, calm nerves the Apollo 11 moon landing would not have happened. It took a man of incredible courage to overcome the difficulties of that first moon landing.

Also, if anyone is interested, there are now pictures available to see all the moon landing sites via hi resolution pics taken from a salelite orbiting the moon. It's really cool stuff.