PDA

View Full Version : FO/SaberMetrics: Why the Denver Broncos defense could cost them the AFC West

El Minion
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Nl2oAtQkSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Football Outsiders' Vincent Verhei examines why the Denver Broncos defense could struggle, how Champ Bailey and Tracy Porter are overrated, why the offseason acquisitions of Derek Wolfe and Mike Adams won't have a positive impact on the team and why the talents of Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller won't be enough to overcome other issues.

Rohirrim
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
I say we stop playing the games. It's just too dangerous. Instead, we'll just play fantasy games and sit around trading algorithms online.

Houshyamama
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Adorable

Rabb
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I bet that shirt costs him some vaj

Houshyamama
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Now, I don't think that's fair. Now, the statistics show the shirt does quite well with the ladies.

DomCasual
08-24-2012, 02:53 PM

I bet the shirt has very little to do with it.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Im not so sure this bozo even wants a woman's attention. Seems to me farm animals are the preferred interest he is lookin for.

Rabb
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Now, I don't think that's fair. Now, the statistics show the shirt does quite well with the ladies.

not when they are on the right

Broncos_OTM
08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Lets revisit this after the season.

SoCalBronco
08-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah...I stopped reading at the part where he said Methwolfe won't be a positive contributor. Football Outsiders can go Meth off.

Bronco Boy
08-24-2012, 03:59 PM
I think he makes a lot of good points. However he didn't address how adding JDR will most likely improve the playcalling on defense which is pretty important.

TheReverend
08-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Not nearly as much as that face

SportinOne
08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
His delivery is a bit annoying, and he reaches for some things to attempt to prove his point. He's also discounting two things: 1: The Del Rio effect. 2: The Peyton Manning effect (the one in which we get to tee off on qbs with heavy rushes because Manning has gotten us a lead, as opposed to any and all other Manning effects).

Another thing. An NFL season is 16 games long. How you can gather a reliable set of data from 16 games is beyond me. There is so much to the game that is blind to statistics anyway. Then you have the fact that last year we had different players playing with our current players, matchups against different players on different teams and different coaches. Things are always changing.

What we know:

Our Run D will not be great
Our secondary is a bit rag tag, but Champ IS STILL a great CB
DJ is dead to us (not in a hostile way, but in a we have forgotten about him way)
We will get pressure and sacks when we can send Miller and Dumervil
We will get little pressure when we don't.
We have very little depth

When it comes to winning the AFC West, our defense doesn't have to be a juggernaut. It's going to have be opportunistic, though. When VonDoom is running strong we certainly have that potential. The sort of pressure they can apply will lead to big mistakes. This, I think, we can count on. Above and beyond that, people are going to have to step up. We'll see.

DENVERDUI55
08-24-2012, 04:12 PM
You beak down any team like that and they will look like garbage. I laughed when he said Wolfe should of been drafted several rounds later.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
His delivery is a bit annoying, and he reaches for some things to attempt to prove his point. He's also discounting two things: 1: The Del Rio effect. 2: The Peyton Manning effect (the one in which we get to tee off on qbs with heavy rushes because Manning has gotten us a lead, as opposed to any and all other Manning effects).

Another thing. An NFL season is 16 games long. How you can gather a reliable set of data from 16 games is beyond me. There is so much to the game that is blind to statistics anyway. Then you have the fact that last year we had different players playing with our current players, matchups against different players on different teams and different coaches. Things are always changing.

What we know:

Our Run D will not be great
Our secondary is a bit rag tag, but Champ IS STILL a great CB
DJ is dead to us (not in a hostile way, but in a we have forgotten about him way)
We will get pressure and sacks when we can send Miller and Dumervil
We will get little pressure when we don't.
We have very little depth

When it comes to winning the AFC West, our defense doesn't have to be a juggernaut. It's going to have be opportunistic, though. When VonDoom is running strong we certainly have that potential. The sort of pressure they can apply will lead to big mistakes. This, I think, we can count on. Above and beyond that, people are going to have to step up. We'll see.

Run D may not be great, but if the manning effect takes place, how many teams run when trailing in games? I think the secondary is improved just by deleting Goodman. Porter Harris Florence bolden are very serviceable. DJ is nowhere to be found and LB is a problem. I do see pressure coming from more than doom and Von. Wolf Vickerson and warren.

Mogulseeker
08-24-2012, 04:17 PM

I was about to say... it's not the shirt - it's everything else about him.

Kaylore
08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Not nearly as much as that face

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/385085-walnuts/85/27/burn_display.gif

DBroncos4life
08-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I wish we had a team of over rated players like Champ.

myMind
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
That guy sure seemed crisp and energetic.

wolf754life
08-24-2012, 06:01 PM
i'm just not feeling very crisp

rugbythug
08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
So we don't get pressures just sacks. Our pass rushers are devastating. When they win they cripple.

Cosmo
08-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Wolfe expected to go 3-4 rounds later?! Wow, this guy is an idiot.

SportinOne
08-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Porter and Florence are mediocre players. It's a fact. Mike Adams is nothing special, and our young safeties haven't done much of anything.

But when that pass rush is getting it done, they will all look like Champ Bailey.