PDA

View Full Version : OT - Shooting outside of Empire State Building

gunns
08-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Nothing definitive, some sources reporting 4-5 people wounded, shooter dead. Another reporting up to 10 people shot, 2 dead including shooter

lolcopter
08-24-2012, 06:56 AM
wtf is wrong with people

sad

TheReverend
08-24-2012, 07:05 AM
The only sliver of bright-side: all these reports seem to indicate that he's now dead.

Beantown Bronco
08-24-2012, 08:49 AM
The shooting occurred at 9:03 a.m. ET at Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street. The fatal incident was the act of a disgruntled former employee. The gunman, a 53 year-old women's accessories designer named Jeffrey Johnson, was fired from his job during a corporate downsizing at Hazan Imports and returned to his office Friday morning to target his 41 year-old boss.

The shooter followed his coworker down 33rd Street, and shot him outside of Legend's Bar, according to the New York Post. It is unclear if he fired into a crowd of pedestrians outside of the Empire State Building, or if pedestrians were caught in crossfire, reported the New York Daily News.
__________________________________________________ _____________

They should've listened to "the Bobs" from Office Space. You're supposed to wait until the end of the day on Friday to lay people off.

And I think it's safe to say that this is the first time a male "women's accessories designer" ever went on a shooting spree. Hardly fits the profile of your average shooter.

barryr
08-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Divided country, heat waves, high unemployment, people losing houses and jobs, and high debt. Unfortunately, there will likely be more.

pricejj
08-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Initial reports indicate that some innocent bystanders were hit by police bullets...

gyldenlove
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I was in Manhattan 2 weeks ago, the first day I was there there was a shootout a couple of blocks from where I was - people in New York be crazy.

Chris
08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
This is pretty unusual for Manhattan these days.

ColoradoDarin
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
How can this be, NYC had already banned guns?!?

bowtown
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Was right near there this morning when it happened. Sad stuff.

bowtown
08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
This is pretty unusual for Manhattan these days.

Yup. City is safer than most.

Pontius Pirate
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
How can this be, NYC had already banned guns?!?

Yeah, if they only hadn't banned guns and instead armed all civilians, this never would've happened.

/counter-trolled

delany
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
This is what happens when you take away a persons ability to Super Size their drinks!

ColoradoDarin
08-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, if they only hadn't banned guns and instead armed all civilians, this never would've happened.

/counter-trolled

No no no, this time, we pass a law to make it illegal to murder someone. That'll work!

Pontius Pirate
08-24-2012, 12:59 PM
No no no, this time, we pass a law to make it illegal to murder someone. That'll work!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/24646417.jpg

Beantown Bronco
08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I still find it ironic that this thread was started by gunns.

Meck77
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Tucson, Aurora, Wisconsin, NY......

Your town very well could be next. It could be me or you next. People need to start waking up thinking this is someone else's problem. Gunns thanks for posting this. It's much too easy for people to miss or even ignore these stories.

Next time we see a mother fugger walking down the street on a hot summer day wearing a black trench coat maybe we start doing something about it other than turning a blind eye before he knocks 40 people down.

lolcopter
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
This was a murder, not a mass shooting. Looks like the cops shot about 5 or more bystanders

Good work guys! wtf...

maher_tyler
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I still find it ironic that this thread was started by gunns.

Was thinking the same thing...

Pontius Pirate
08-24-2012, 01:23 PM
This was a murder, not a mass shooting. Looks like the cops shot about 5 or more bystanders

Good work guys! wtf...

Maybe they were just trying to do some crowd control.

broncosteven
08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Looks like Chicago is not the second city any more. I saw this on the morning news:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-shootings-chicago-violence-august-23-august-24-violence-gunfire-20120823,0,49779.story

19 people shot last night around 9:15-9:45pm. Those area's are not the safest areas to begin with but it sounded like those injured were gang related.

bowtown
08-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Your town very well could be next. It could be me or you next. People need to start waking up thinking this is someone else's problem. Gunns thanks for posting this. It's much too easy for people to miss or even ignore these stories.

Next time we see a mother fugger walking down the street on a hot summer day wearing a black trench coat maybe we start doing something about it other than turning a blind eye before he knocks 40 people down.

Never mind freedom! Screw personal liberty!
Everyone should dress like me! Or at the very least put stars on and rough up the ones that scare me.

You and your paddy wagon would have a field day of fear on St. Marks, and all those people are even white.

broncosteven
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Good work guys! wtf...

Not to condone this action, and I am sorry for the loss of those who lost a loved one but at least this was a more traditional desperation act from someone who went postal rather than a well planned mass murder spree.

As long as weapons are freely available people will be killing people. Very sad that people can't find another way to resolve their problems.

Chris
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM

That worked really well last time

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2012/3-17-12-trayvon-martin/12044397-1-eng-US/3-17-12-Trayvon-Martin_full_600.jpg

Meck77
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
People take things so literally.

Ok let's try this. It's all obama's fault.

broncosteven
08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
People take things so literally.

Ok let's try this. It's all obama's fault.

In Chicago it is Emanuel's fault, dude can't seem to come up with anything to stop these gang shootings. Funny how this story didn't get as much national coverage as the NY incident.

Blueflame
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM

A crazy person opening fire in a public place can happen anywhere...it happened several years ago in tiny Oldtown, Idaho... guy walked into a tavern and killed 4 people; fully intending to kill more if one hero hadn't managed to disarm him. The shooter escaped but later committed suicide rather than face arrest after his house was surrounded by police. I personally knew all 4 victims (attended all of the funerals) and two were good friends. :/

lolcopter
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
A crazy person opening fire in a public place can happen anywhere...

fwiw, that's not what happened here

Suspect was laid off about a year ago, and he unloaded three bullets into his former VP of sales, at which point he was corned and killed by police who unloaded 14 rounds on the street at 9am

Suspects gun held 8 rounds, 3 into the victim, 9 people injured and 2 dead (including the suspect) after police are finished

Blueflame
08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
fwiw, that's not what happened here

Suspect was laid off about a year ago, and he unloaded three bullets into his former VP of sales, at which point he was corned and killed by police who unloaded 14 rounds on the street at 9am

Suspects gun held 8 rounds, 3 into the victim, 9 people injured and 2 dead (including the suspect) after police are finished

The NY shooter felt he had a grievance against a specific person and took a gun to "settle the score". So did the small-town-Idaho shooter. Craziness can happen anywhere... that was my point.

lolcopter
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Ah, gotcha. Very sad all around, that people can even consider this as an option

Bacchus
08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Nothing definitive, some sources reporting 4-5 people wounded, shooter dead. Another reporting up to 10 people shot, 2 dead including shooter

Let me guess another angry white guy?

Blueflame
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Ah, gotcha. Very sad all around, that people can even consider this as an option

Yeah... definitely not a rational thought process when anyone decides that using a gun... shooting randomly... is an acceptable recourse. Life isn't fair but killing other people isn't going to solve anything.