PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Ideas

Pontius Pirate
08-23-2012, 10:54 PM
So pre-season is a total throw-away as far as competition goes. How about this: first, decrease PS games to three total. Then, award teams as such:

1) if you win 2 of 3 games, you get to open at home
2) if you win all 3 games, you get to open and close the season at home

p.s. i'm drunk

Love,
The Pirate

DENVERDUI55
08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey this is a better drunk thread than I want to make love to John Gruden.

Bacchus
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
you guys want to all get drunk, take ambien and post all our homoerotic thoughts!

yeah, me neither.

myMind
08-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Pretty sure the NFL needs the schedule to be concrete before the season starts for logistical reasons. Just sayin, dont want to dump on your happy shoes.

Mogulseeker
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
This is the best drunk thread I've seen in a while, actually. I can totally see myself in a bar debating this with someone. Which reminds me... I think I have a bottle of Espolon Reposado downstairs...

theAPAOps5
08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
At least you aren't trying to surprise buttsecks Gruden

Pick Six
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
So pre-season is a total throw-away as far as competition goes. How about this: first, decrease PS games to three total. Then, award teams as such:

p.s. i'm drunk

Love,
The Pirate

I'm actually going to respond to this drunk post, as it were a legitimate suggestion. The preseason is just for evaluating players. If we make teams try to seriously win the games, they would be putting their best players on the field. There would be no such thing as evaluating the depth...

Dedhed
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
p.s. i'm drunk

Obvious thing is obvious.

spdirty
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
What if both you and your first opponent win all 3 PS games?

GoHAM
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Preseason playoff game!

Beantown Bronco
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM

They could avoid this by making it count for the following year. Preseason record in 2012 effects regular season record in 2013. That's the only way it could work, given the timing needed to work on the entire nfl schedule, etc.

Having said that, this is easily one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas.

cmhargrove
08-24-2012, 11:16 AM

p.s. i'm drunk

Love,
The Pirate

You want to make the preseason cool? The NFL is all about involving the fans in everything - games, merchandise, websites, fantasy football, phone apps, etc..

You want to take that to the next level?

Start a 12th man kickoff team like the old Texas A&M tradition. A special teams unit with fans participating in the game? Sign me up.

Beantown Bronco
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xlA9bNk3b5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncoBeavis
08-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey this is a better drunk thread than I want to make love to John Gruden.

Disagree. :)

Pontius Pirate
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Why you guys gotta rain on my drunk parade?

What I was thinking about when I wrote this was the MLB All-Star game and how it, too, is a throwaway....until they added the home-field advantage aspect of it for the WS.

It'd be cool if there was some reward for winning your PS games.....but not such a big reward that would cause you to actually not play 2nd & 3rd stringers.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

What I was thinking about when I wrote this was the MLB All-Star game and how it, too, is a throwaway....until they added the home-field advantage aspect of it for the WS.

It'd be cool if there was some reward for winning your PS games.....but not such a big reward that would cause you to actually not play 2nd & 3rd stringers.

That MLB rule blows. Home field should go to the team with the most wins in their respected leagues. It's that simple. MLB Just tried to mask an outdated novelty act by trying to make it look legit

BroncoBeavis
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

How about No-Suspension 1-DUI Free Cards? :)

Pontius Pirate
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
How about No-Suspension 1-DUI Free Cards? :)

I'd be good with this. With each PS win, you get a "minus 1 suspension day point" you can use on any suspended player.

Sorta serious but not really (but sorta....possibly)

BroncoBeavis
08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd be good with this. With each PS win, you get a "minus 1 suspension day point" you can use on any suspended player.

Sorta serious but not really (but sorta....possibly)

Now we're getting somewhere.

TonyR
08-24-2012, 12:02 PM

But MLB doesn't reward teams for the results of their spring training games. So, MLB is really the same as the NFL in that respect.

Pick Six
08-24-2012, 12:07 PM

I see what you are doing, now. However, you have to make the Pro Bowl mean something. That is the equivalent of the MLB All-Star Game, not the preseason...

Kaylore
08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I see what you are doing, now. However, you have to make the Pro Bowl mean something. That is the equivalent of the MLB All-Star Game, not the preseason...

I think that the MLB All-Star game determines home field in the world series is one of the stupidest ideas in sports.

~Crash~
08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
get rid of preseason all together . problem solved .

add 26 man developmental team that way they can work against each other and add in 5 Qb's strictly for development . no team can pilfer the players and make the money on that team cheap I hate the idea of player like TD not even getting a chance.

Make it this way and add 3 or 4 more games and make it easy to rest all players when needed by bringing up players from the 26 man squad