PDA

View Full Version : Wk 2 Pre-Season Rewind

Dedhed
08-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Just had my first chance to view the 2nd pre-season game, and thought I would offer up some opinions for the haters and knobbers to chew on.

Overall Take- In the true spirit of the post-watermocktebow OM, every take on game 2 that I read on the OM was an overreaction.

Starting QBs-

Peyton Manning- I fall into the "skeptical" category when it comes to Peyton Manning, and reading the feedback from game two made me think that my worst fears we being confirmed as far as Peyton's progress goes. After seeing the game for myself, I don't feel that way.

While I still have some concerns about his arm strength and his durability, he was far closer to the Manning of 2009 than I had expected to see. Timing isn't all the way there yet, and he seems a bit less confident than the former Manning. His passes definitely have less zip on them than I remember, but with the type of QB Peyton is, that doesn't concern me much.

Matt Flynn- Kevin Kolb 2.0. My leading "overrated" candidates going into last year were Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick. This year, I still have Vick there, but Flynn has taken over Kolb's role as the leading candidate.

I think Flynn will be better than Kolb, but he's nowhere near being a franchise guy.

Backup QBs-

Brock Osweiler- I liked what I saw from Osweiler. He showed patience beyond his years and didn't force the ball if pays weren't there; and for the most part they weren't.

He was put in bad positions on every possession, either because of terrible run support or because of terrible field position. However, when the line gave him even decent protection and there was the slightest bit of separation he delivered the ball accurately and on time.

I love his footwork for a rookie; he moves well in the pocket and has a natural feel for where pressure is coming from. Had rookie mistakes (botched handoff), but overall I liked his poise, he was reading the field and going through his progressions, and I liked the fact that he didn't force the ball when things weren't there.

He's got a lot to learn, as any rookie does, but he certainly has a ton of potential, and I don't think there was anything to be overly concerned about.

Russell Wilson- Meh... from the write-ups and reaction to his performance I expected him to be twelve times more impressive than he was. He had one throw that was a legitimate NFL throw, and the rest were dump offs, a little athleticism, an answered prayer or two, and breakdowns in assignments by 4th string defenders.

First drive was mostly penalty aided with a scramble or two. I don't get the hype at all. It will be much more interesting to watch him get the start this week, but then, he's going against the Chiefs so he's likely to be effective again.

Depth Chart watch: Likes and dislikes.
Nate Irving- You have to be optimistic about Irving's performances through two pre-season games. Missed a tackle, but reads his gap assignment and fills it consistently. Showed natural ability to time the blitz, and was constantly around the ball.

Cyril Obiozor- I loved what I saw from this kid. He looks like a tremendous athlete, set the edge well, read plays well, and shed blocks to make tackles. Could provide nice depth in passing situations.

Chris Harris- I love this kid. Had a terrific year as an UDFA, and appears to have picked up right where he left off. Could be the Rod Smith of the defense. Carries out his assignment, and plays with contagious tenacity.

Malik Johnson- We're not going to be able to stash this kid on the practice squad. Uses his hands well and reads the play. Was consistent in collapsing the pocket.

Mitch Unrein- Seems to have improved from last year. Looks stronger at the point and better able to read where the play is going. Could provide nice depth inside.

Dislikes:
Lance Ball- Way too many mistakes, and not much upside. Back to back plays where you run the wrong way and fumble aren't impressive, particularly when you don't do anything impressive to make up for it. I hope Hillman is impressive enough to be RB2 when he gets healthy.

The entire backup OL- Did not provide any running room and were suspect against the pass rush. We're dreadfully thin when it comes to OL depth.

Overall I left the game feeling much better about this team than a 30-10 drubbing would have led me to believe. The offense is not going to be up to speed by week 1, but I think we've more talent on defense than we've had since I can remember and think they'll be fun to watch.

Kaylore
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for doing this. You made me want to go back and re-watch that game. It will give something to do waiting for Sunday. If you ever go to training camp, let me know. I'd love to watch with you.

Tombstone RJ
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for doing this. You made me want to go back and re-watch that game. It will give something to do waiting for Sunday. If you ever go to training camp, let me know. I'd love to watch with you.

and don't forget the holding hands part either... I kid, I kid...

Ironlung
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I hear people talk about "less zip" a lot. Hell, maybe he does have less but a qb can't throw lasers on every play.

I know the pass in the first game to Decker where he was the last read at the sideline had some heat on it...The 3rd & 17 pickup had plenty of zip...In game number two in the two minute drill he had a couple of passes to Stokley that were humming etc. I think the zip is there when it needs to be.

canadianbroncosfan
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
This would be an A+ post but no mention of MethWolfe so you'll get a solid A :)

I suppose I can still Rep it though

lolcopter
08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Mitch Unrein- Seems to have improved from last year. Looks stronger at the point and better able to read where the play is going. Could provide nice depth inside.

Good point, he looks much improved and actually able to provide solid depth

Tombstone RJ
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
anyone think Sliver Siliga will get cut due to Unreamed's production?

vancejohnson82
08-23-2012, 03:48 PM
re-watching has me excited to watch the defense....although, I do fear that over-pursuing may be a bit of a problem this year...we have a lot of "motor" guys that will succumb to misdirections and bootlegs

wish we had a playmaker on offense who could take it to the house on dump-offs...I'm hoping Hillman or (gulp) Moreno can fill this role but it remains to be seen.

errand
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I gotta find out where you guys buy your TV's from, because when I watch the game, the camera follows the ball, and I can't see what the hell Chris Harris is doing on the other side of the field when the ball is being thown to Syd'Quan's side...but evidently there is a TV out there that allows you to see each individual player

lolcopter
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I gotta find out where you guys buy your TV's from, because when I watch the game, the camera follows the ball, and I can't see what the hell Chris Harris is doing on the other side of the field when the ball is being thown to Syd'Quan's side...but evidently there is a TV out there that allows you to see each individual player

Watching live maybe?

Regardless Harris had a few break ups and a near INT

vancejohnson82
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM

hahaha...I agree bruh....I didn't see Harris much in my picture

maybe I should go from 720/1080ip to something else?

HarrisVision?

errand
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Watching live maybe?

Regardless Harris had a few break ups and a near INT

Perhaps...but he said he had just gotten the chance to watch the game....almost a week later. Still even watching the game live you'll always follow the ball...it's the natural thing to do because where the ball goes is where the action is at, correct?

I'm curious how when the camera follows the ball how anyone can see what every individual player is doing is all.....it's not a bitch, just an observation that I made.

Unless you were a scout watching one or two particular players exclusively with binoculars, I have no idea how anyone in the stands could see what every player was doing on every play....add in that the majority of those watching are getting lit on beer etc. and that other fans could potentially block your view.

I think it's just a case of some guy wanting to give his opinion like he's an ESPN analyst...and that's fine, but please spare me the "in depth" analysis like he's privy to game film or sitting in on the position meetings

errand
08-23-2012, 04:25 PM
hahaha...I agree bruh....I didn't see Harris much in my picture

maybe I should go from 720/1080ip to something else?

HarrisVision?

I'm not trying to rain on Dedhed's parade....i'm sure he watches the game and knows alot about it and it doesn't mean his opinion is nonsense...

I just have no idea how he can give such an in depth analysis when he doesn't work for the Broncos or any other opposing team in the NFL and isn't privy to game film

Houshyamama
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I think Rewind shows the coach's tape

errand
08-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I think Rewind shows the coach's tape

Perhaps...but I don't think it shows you player A setting the edge properly, and player B setting his feet properly, or player C attacking the gap consistently....etc.

It shows some coaches and players on the sideline mic'd up, talking strategy...not each individual player

gyldenlove
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I pretty much agree, although I think Flynn has more upside than Kolb. Kolb has one of the best recievers to ever play the game in Fitzgerald while Flynn has bugger all and the defensive front of Denver really applied some pressure on Flynn.

pricejj
08-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Dedhed. I appreciate your in depth analysis. It's enjoyable to read other posters observations on how specific players are doing. Thanks for keeping a heads up.

lolcopter
08-24-2012, 06:17 AM
I pretty much agree, although I think Flynn has more upside than Kolb. Kolb has one of the best recievers to ever play the game in Fitzgerald while Flynn has bugger all and the defensive front of Denver really applied some pressure on Flynn.

Who he never throws to because he is a giant pussy

Skelton is a better QB if only because he's not afraid to force the ball to Fitz

Dedhed
08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
So on your TV the only thing you can see is the ball, apparently? Try adjusting your settings, I think you may be zoomed in a little too far.

Dedhed
08-24-2012, 09:08 AM

I'd love to get to camp one day. I haven't been back to CO for a few years now, but still have a number of friends in Denver and Boulder. I'd love to get out there for a couple of weeks and catch up with them and maybe work in a couple of days of TC while I'm there.

I'll certainly let you know, I'd love to meet up with someone who knows their way around.

Dedhed
08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
re-watching has me excited to watch the defense....although, I do fear that over-pursuing may be a bit of a problem this year...we have a lot of "motor" guys that will succumb to misdirections and bootlegs

One of the things that has impressed me the most about Irving is that he doesn't seem to overrun his gap. After watching DJ for years, and now Mays, it's pretty refreshing.