PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if the Broncos agreed to play in London?

Broncobiv
08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Let's say our Denver Broncos agreed to play one regular season HOME GAME in London for each of the next few years, as the Rams and Jags did. How would you feel about that?

Personally, I would hate it. We're screwing our team out of one home game per year, killing home-field advantage for that game. We're also screwing some of our most important fans, the season ticket holders, out of a game.

I could care less about Bowlen's pocketbook (if he even really benefits somehow, with profit-sharing and all). I could care less about introducing the game of American football and growing it in other countries...it will never catch on, just like soccer will never truly catch on here (and soccer in America is already way more popular than football will ever be in Europe).

Even if Goodell is thinking long-term and trying to get our beloved sport more popular across the world, I just don't think it's worth the sacrifice of taking away a home game and forcing two teams to travel to England once per season. If Denver agreed to do it, I'd be PISSED!

lolcopter
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
hate it

also this
...it will never catch on, just like soccer will never truly catch on here

RhymesayersDU
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
You know what else never caught on? Crazy flying machines. I mean, if the good Lord has meant for us to fly, he'd have given us wings.

broncolife
08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I might like it if they added one more game to the schedule and made all the teams play an away game in a different country. That way all the teams keep their home games and all teams have to deal with the disadvantages of playing far away.

Pick Six
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Maybe they can do it in the preseason. The actual season should not be used for exhibition purposes...

Bronco Boy
08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Could care less.

OBF1
08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
I voted yes.....

Knowing it will never freeking happen. I wish I had too much time on my hands to think about this crap.

DENVERDUI55
08-23-2012, 06:32 AM
I didn't care for it when they did a couple years ago. If it costs a home game screw it.

canadianbroncosfan
08-23-2012, 06:34 AM
This doesn't effect me but unlike a lot of you I'm not a season seat holder.

Ray Finkle
08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
I live on the East Coast so I don't get to go to home games.....I really don't care either way.

Rabb
08-23-2012, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't be happy about it, I am a season ticket holder

Rock Chalk
08-23-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't particularly care because I dont live in Denver BUT, if I did and if I was a season ticket holder the question I'd be asking is, do I have to pay for 10 home games if Im only getting 9. If I only have to pay for 9 home games (2 preseason + 7 regular season) then I really dont see the problem.

I like to go to games like the rest of you but losing one game every 5 years wouldn't affect me whatsoever. IF the NFL can promote the sport in other parts of the world, and this helps, then it just makes the league stronger, and I have no problem with that.

hookemhess
08-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I would hate it. I don't want the team having to travel so far.

Rabb
08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I agree with what Rock Chalk said, if they adjusted the price I wouldn't be AS upset but would still not like it.

What they should do first is lower preseason ticket prices for ticket holders, nothing like hearing the couple next to me talking about their $20 seats last week.

****ing facepalm.

Stuck in Cali
08-23-2012, 08:02 AM
I would hate it just because it would take away any from what the players/coaches do during a normal work week.

Pendejo
08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
I would hate it. I don't want the team having to travel so far.

I immediately thought of the competitive disadvantage too. Look at what happened to San Diego in 2008.

@ Miami
Home
@ Buffalo
@ New Orleans (London)
BYE

Sure it's hilarious, but only because it happened to the Chargers. Flying machines or not...that kind of travel will wear on guys.

There's a lot on the line each week in the NFL. The regular season is not the time for silly exhibitions. Give the euros a week three pre-season game or something.

ColoradoDarin
08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
They adjust the price for season ticket holders (the news is talking about it here with the Jags in London the next 4 years).

Kaylore
08-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I would agree if it was one of their road games.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-23-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't mind it when it's a road game and we fly to London, but taking away a home game for it? Nahhhh.

Makes WAY more sense for a team like the Jagwads who don't have a fanbase to speak of.

maven
08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm not a season ticket holder so I wouldn't have any problems with it. Plus, every game would be nationally televised and I would get to see them play.

BroncoBen
08-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Its not that hard NFL... Two things need to happen.

1. Counts as a 'Road' game
2. Bye week follows the game

Mogulseeker
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I kinda like the idea, but there are too many problems.

I don't think the NFL is going to send a team overseas that consistently sells out games. They might sell out Wembley, but the question of opportunity cost comes into play. Send a struggling team (sales-wise) to London.

****, the owner of the St. Louis Rams already owns Arsenal and has rights to Emirates stadium in London. Make it happen.

Mogulseeker
08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
It makes business sense, too - build up a fan base in a 8million+ foreign city.

Also props to OP for proper grammar on "Couldn't care less."

The two things that people say that just make me want to slap them in the face for not knowing how to speak English are "I could care less" and "for all intensive purposes."

v2micca
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Its not that hard NFL... Two things need to happen.

1. Counts as a 'Road' game
2. Bye week follows the game

Damnit BroncoBen, I don't know that I've even been able to read one of your comments. I never make it past your avatar.

jerseyboiler120
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Hate it.

uk bronco
08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
would love it but thats cos i live in glasgow and it would be awesome to see the broncos in london again

broncosteven
08-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe they can do it in the preseason. The actual season should not be used for exhibition purposes...

This is a great solution, if anything they could have the 1st week of the PS be held in England (if they can find 15 fields to host) have every team spend the last week over there except for the HOF game teams, England gets to see 15 games and us fans here don't have to pay full price to watch players who will be mopping floors in a couple weeks.

GreasyQtip
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Whichever team does it first stands to receive a huge international money feed. The opportunity to be europes first "home team". Give the europeans a team they can have a reason to cheer for.

Being that I live in a different state anyway I would be for this. Tons of exposure and cash, more Broncos logos when I travel, and I probably will make it to a London game some day for fun.

Irish Stout
08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I hate it unless they include the London tickets and round trip airfare in the season ticket package.

But even then, how does playing in London, England - across the entire USA and the entire Atlantic ocean - add up to a home game. Its not a home game. Its away. Very very far away.

Irish Stout
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
This is a great solution, if anything they could have the 1st week of the PS be held in England (if they can find 15 fields to host) have every team spend the last week over there except for the HOF game teams, England gets to see 15 games and us fans here don't have to pay full price to watch players who will be mopping floors in a couple weeks.

After game four preseason games all of England's citizens will be petitioning the USA to leave and never come back.

extralife
08-23-2012, 04:17 PM
the teams that go to London (as a home game) are the teams with no fans. we are not one of those teams.

lolcopter
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
the teams that go to London (as a home game) are the teams with no fans. we are not one of those teams.

We were two years ago

Kaylore
08-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Because the Patriots, Broncos and Niners have no fans.

broncolife
08-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I liked it when we use to play the 49ers in Japan.

KipCorrington25
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Can we bring back that video guy to tape the other team's walk throughs again?

If so then I love it!

extralife
08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Because the Patriots, Broncos and Niners have no fans.

the patriots were the away team. so were we. I'll give you the niners, but they were in the middle of a horrific, uhh, decade of play at the time.

TheChamp24
08-23-2012, 08:24 PM
The whole thing is stupid because to put it bluntly, most of non USA'ers do not like football. They don't understand it, and they don't care for it much.

broncosteven
08-23-2012, 08:26 PM
The whole thing is stupid because to put it bluntly, most of non USA'ers do not like football. They don't understand it, and they don't care for it much.

Exactly why Crush's idea of PS games is a good one. They get to see a football game but it doesn't hurt teams during the middle of the season.