PDA

View Full Version : The Little Known Manning Stadium Effect

cmhargrove
08-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Ok, so I wasn't at the first preseason game, so I thought I would ask (now and for the future).

I mentioned before that I got the chance to watch Manning play in the Dome in Indy before and it was pretty surreal. The NFL stadium would be rowdy and rocking, then Manning and the offense takes the field and..... silence. I mean it was so quiet, you could hear every word he yelled. I even remember hearing people cough a couple sections away. Just eerie.

I saw Manning quieting the crowd during the preseason game and didn't know how long it will take our home crowd to catch on. It is really the effort of an intellient fan base to let the surgeon work in silence, but it is weird at a major professional venue.

So, did anyone notice that yet? If not, I suspect that the home crowd will get more and more used to it as the season rolls on.

OBF1
08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
I had thought about this before with Manning running the no huddle. Mile high crowds are not as "seasoned" as many other stadium crowds, I see this being a problem for a while... as it has always been. TGN and I have discussed this in the past.

Eldorado
08-22-2012, 08:14 AM
The Pittsburgh game will be half yellow and black and loud as hell when Manning's on the field.

You know who you are.

crush17
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
They used to have signs on in the Colts stadium that said "Quiet Please - Offesne at work"

Wouldn't mind the folks at Mile High doing the same!

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Elway used the arm signal shooshing on offense back in the day. And he did it with style. In Old Mile High which was louder. This shouldn't be much of an issue.

bronco militia
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
They used to have signs on in the Colts stadium that said "Quiet Please - Offesne at work"

LOL...good luck with that

BigPlayShay
08-22-2012, 09:08 AM

They do put that on the scoreboards, it is ignored.

huh??
08-22-2012, 09:15 AM
The last game against the Seahags seemed to get pretty quiet for Manning. It was enough difference for my wife to notice. I was wondering if it was more of everyone in awe of having a QB of that caliber on the field.

Kaylore
08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Bronco fans can get really stupid and start screaming like school girls when the offense is on the field. This is because we've had a lot of QB's who improvise and use their athleticism to make plays, and not as many field surgeons. I am hopeful they will shut up.

Rabb
08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I was wondering if it was more of everyone in awe of having a QB on the field.

fixed

Crushaholic
08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure how effective a QB can be, if they are trying to quiet the crowd. If you are in the upper decks, it's hard to see what the quarterback is actually doing. Manning is great at mixing in dummy signals. Broncos fans should naturally quiet down, and watch him work...

Hercules Rockefeller
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
We haven't had an intelligent crowd in years

Dendave
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
It's not like Manning hasn't played a road game when the crowd is loud. I would like to know what his home/away record is.

BigPlayShay
08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
It's not like Manning hasn't played a road game when the crowd is loud. I would like to know what his home/away record is.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/splits/

Home = 76 - 28
Road = 65 - 39

Garcia Bronco
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Ok, so I wasn't at the first preseason game, so I thought I would ask (now and for the future).

I mentioned before that I got the chance to watch Manning play in the Dome in Indy before and it was pretty surreal. The NFL stadium would be rowdy and rocking, then Manning and the offense takes the field and..... silence. I mean it was so quiet, you could hear every word he yelled. I even remember hearing people cough a couple sections away. Just eerie.

I saw Manning quieting the crowd during the preseason game and didn't know how long it will take our home crowd to catch on. It is really the effort of an intellient fan base to let the surgeon work in silence, but it is weird at a major professional venue.

So, did anyone notice that yet? If not, I suspect that the home crowd will get more and more used to it as the season rolls on.

I noticed this to on Sat. One wave of the arm and all those dumbasses STFU. I'll never understand the constant blather...the offense is on the field....shut your mouth. Even the dip****s at mile high are trying to rile-up the crowd. It's crazy.

Look at the first drive from the previous game....one wave of the arms. One. It was awesome.

BMarsh615
08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

I went to Heinz Field when Denver played at Pittsburgh a few years ago and every time the Steelers offense was on the field the jumbotron would have a message saying, "Quiet Big Ben at work"

BroncoBeavis
08-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Bronco fans can get really stupid and start screaming like school girls when the offense is on the field. This is because we've had a lot of QB's who improvise and use their athleticism to make plays, and not as many field surgeons. I am hopeful they will shut up.

I think that's part of it, but also part of it lately is the losing. Hard core season ticket holding fans are less likely to attend every game (or most) if things are ugly on the field. It opens the door to more casual fans attending who don't give much thought to this stuff.

bronco militia
08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/splits/

Home = 76 - 28
Road = 65 - 39

3-0 in Denver

Rabb
08-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I went to Heinz Field when Denver played at Pittsburgh a few years ago and every time the Steelers offense was on the field the jumbotron would have a message saying, "Quiet Big Ben at work"

and under it said "Please watch your women"

tsiguy96
08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
3-0 in Denver

forgot what happened last time they played in denver, was that the game marshall broke the reception record?

BroncoBeavis
08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
and under it said "Please watch your women"

Pure Awesome

BigPlayShay
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
forgot what happened last time they played in denver, was that the game marshall broke the reception record?

That was in Indy. Last time in Denver was 2010. Orton had the 2nd most passing yards in a game for a Broncos QB, and we scored 13 points.

Stagger Lee
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
That was in Indy. Last time in Denver was 2010. Orton had the 2nd most passing yards in a game for a Broncos QB, and we scored 13 points.

F**king Kyle. A red zone machine he was. JFC

Stagger Lee
08-22-2012, 12:40 PM

He must like hearing them scream.

Mogulseeker
08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

They have that at Mile High... when the offense has the ball, on the screen.

BigPlayShay
08-22-2012, 12:42 PM
3-0 in Denver

Technically 3-1 in Denver. He did play a series in the 2004 Regular Season Finale before resting the rest of the game. But yeah, really 3-0 in Denver.

razorwire77
08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Bronco fans used to be some of the most cerebral fans in the league. Once Mile High became a parking lot and many of the south standers got priced out of the new stadium the football IQ went down a bit. Unfortunately you now have huge blocks of club level seats that are often occupied by people who got the tickets from a company/corporation and view the game like a concert. As a result you get screaming, yelling, and cheering at inopportune times. Glad to see that Manning is using the preseason to train fans the appropriate time to be loud.

Gort
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
the Indiacrapolis Irsays crowd noise in their dome was controlled by one of these.

http://bharrison.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

they turned it down to "1" when Manning had the ball. they turned it up to "11" when the other team had the ball. they got this system as a special item when Nigel Tufnel retired.