PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: PORTIS RETIRING; YOU'RE ****ING OLD

Ronnie Tsunami
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Life goes fast, gents. Life goes fast... I remember playing as this mo-fo in madden 2003. What a weapon. What a clown. What could have been. #ThanksforChamp

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/237983368808108035

#Redskins to announce the retirement of RB Clinton Portis on Thursday afternoon at 2:30 PM at Redskins Park.

razorwire77
08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
I will always be happy that Champ became a Bronco. However, Portis could have been a HOF calliber RB had he stayed in Denver's ZBS longer.

Kaylore
08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Portis went to two pro-bowls. Champ has gone to 12 and is a lock for the HOF.

There are still people around here who think trading Portis was a mistake. I won't out them, though.

BroncoBen
08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Well so long Clinton... I was bugged when Clinton came out and said he wanted to get marketed better, and getting out of Denver was the way to do this... get to the East Coast.

Well it never turned out that way.. and what is funny is when you see RG3 on those subway commercials.. I think that is what Clinton had in mind.. national marketing.

razorwire77
08-21-2012, 01:18 PM
No doubt Denver made out huge. Champ is a top 5 Bronco of all-time. Portis probably would have had a couple of 1500 yard seasons minimum had he stayed here. But he got the big media market he wanted. He just didn't realize they were going to run him into the ground off tackle and break him. Bad decision.

Smiling Assassin27
08-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Today, I consider myself....the luckiest man....on the face of the earth....

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/clinton-portis.jpg

bronco militia
08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
the 5 TD game against the Chorfs was one of the funnest times I've ever had at a Broncos game.

broncosteven
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I am glad we have Champ, especially after watching him blanket TO last game. Nothing like watching him swat down passes. Our D would be even worse without Champ.

Glad we were able to make that trade, looks like Tatum might have some competition for his job at the Kiosk.

bpc
08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Had fun rooting for him but just shows the overall worth of a HB vs. other skill position players. Champ is still competing at a high level at CB, and could move over to Safety a la Charles Woodson when he loses a little more athletic ability. Probably can play another 3-4 years barring injury.

Finally, CP was not TD. Not even close. I do think he was more talented than LT though. That Gibbs offense absolutely shaved a few years off his career.

Rohirrim
08-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Wasn't Portis Watermock's original flava clown?

Tombstone RJ
08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
gotta credit Shanny for this trade. Broncos absolutely made out like bandits. That being said, if Portis had remained a Broncos RB... hmm... perhaps he could have been the best evah.

Mogulseeker
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
FYI, it wasn't just Champ we got in that trade... We also got the pick that got Tatum Bell... Who we then traded for Dre Bly.

SouthStndJunkie
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
the 5 TD game against the Chorfs was one of the funnest times I've ever had at a Broncos game.

Right on....that game was a lot of fun.

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
OM etiquette question here:

Can "he could break off 2k in this system" be used on someone who in fact did not break off 2k in this system?

Either way, bring him in for a look. :)

Tombstone RJ
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM

those were good times... loved it when Portis broke out the winning belt!

OBF1
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Hardly breaking news, The guy has not played since 2010.

That said, I was and still am glad we traded away the king of flava clowns for Champ and never looked back.

Lestat
08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Portis was a beast for us but i'm glad we got Champ. Portis was very good but Champ is a top 5 Bronco of all time and a sure fire HOF who will go in as a Bronco.

Stuck in Cali
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I still scratch my head about that trade. How many teams would give up Champ for a RB.

TheChamp24
08-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Portis without a doubt probably would have amassed HOF-esque numbers staying in Denver. He was electric, and really not a fit for the power run scheme in Washington.

Denver Bronco56
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I used to love Portis, the Miami U swag and the perfect fit in the ZBS. His first two years with denver were ELECTRIC he was arguable a top 5 back in the mix with Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis, LT and Sean Alexander.

But anyways he was at the time another back in a system that could do NO WRONG.. we were turning ex marines into rookie of the years, a FB in droughns into a 1300 yard rusher.

The system made Portis expendable and with Shanny's attempts/failures in the draft with Middlebrooks, O'neal and Lenny Walls gaining the top defensive player in the NFL seemed like a no brainer. History speaks for its self, Portis had a couple good years still nothing like his Denver days and Champ went on to continue his dominance.

ludo21
08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I still scratch my head about that trade. How many teams would give up Champ for a RB.

dan snyder.........

i think we threw in a pick too

Baba Booey
08-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Portis could have been top ten in rushing yards all-time if he played his career out here.

ColoradoDarin
08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
and we're still winning that trade, Thanks Shanny!

ColoradoDarin
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
dan snyder.........

i think we threw in a pick too

*they* threw in a 2nd round pick (Tatum Bell....)

Punisher
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Moving work from Denver to D.C like Portis lol yea....

canadianbroncosfan
08-21-2012, 04:35 PM
He's retiring and Champ still has Pro Bowl potential

Bacchus
08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Portis and Chad Johnson are a lot of like. Good guys on and off the field, great players and teammates but they can be a headache with their antics.

That being said Portis was a beast in Washington. He changed his running style and he took a beating for the Skins but he always played well and showed up to work everyday. Portis would have been a great Bronco too bad Denver couldn't have had both Champ amnd Portis.

eddie mac
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
It was one of the dumbest trades ever by the Skins considering the avg playing life span of a RB.

Bacchus
08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
It was one of the dumbest trades ever by the Skins considering the avg playing life span of a RB.

A lot of people brought this up at the time of the trade.

Skins arguement.

When Other teams can throw away from Champ he does not impact the game.

Portis coming off consecutive back to back 1,500 yard season will impact the game everytime he is handed the ball.

Champ had demanded a trade or the Skins renegotiate his rookie contract.

TDmvp
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Chad Johnson are a lot of like. Good guys on and off the field, great players and teammates

RANT TIME SORRY ...

Dude as someone who has lived their whole life in Cincinnati Chad Johnson is a POS on and off the field. Period. And no idea where you get great teammate with Chad because if you watched Bengals games (but why would you heheh) you would know he was a cancer on the field.

But I get so sick of every time Chad is mentioned here someone calls him a great guy and teammate . When he is just total scum.

Look up what he did with the raffle he and a 700wlw Am had set up which Chad gave away the first place prize (a car) to some whore and then skipped giving the trips that was going to be the other prizes. It was a big deal in Cincy and 700wlw shared all the dirt on it cause Chad was doing a weekly show on their station which was canned during this mess.

On May 5, 2007, Johnson was sued for allegedly not giving away a Lexus that was supposed to be raffled off. The suit added two plaintiffs who claimed that they had won trips from Johnson (one to Europe, the other to Hawaii), that Johnson never awarded.[58]

Pendejo
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
A lot of people brought this up at the time of the trade.

Skins arguement.

When Other teams can throw away from Champ he does not impact the game.

Portis coming off consecutive back to back 1,500 yard season will impact the game everytime he is handed the ball.

Champ had demanded a trade or the Skins renegotiate his rookie contract.

I've never understood where people came up with that. Perhaps jilted Skins fans. He completed his original contract. He definitely wanted out though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1734533

Cito Pelon
08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Portis went to two pro-bowls. Champ has gone to 12 and is a lock for the HOF.

There are still people around here who think trading Portis was a mistake. I won't out them, though.

I'll own up to thinking it was a stupid trade. If the 2nd-rounder they got would have paid off it would have made the trade much, much more palatable.

Champ certainly has been an impact player, but it was a shame to trade a super-duper RB to cover for Shanny's own failures drafting/FA CB's. He had a decent CB in Tory James that he DID draft in round 2, but let go in FA. Of course the Dale Carter debacle. Then:

4th rounder Darrius Johnson
3rd rounder Chris Watson
1st rounder 15th overall Deltha O'Neal
5th rounder Darwin Brown
1st rounder Middlebrooks (Zero career INT's, is that right?)

Portis was a flava clown that Shanny didn't like too much, but he did get good value in the trade, too bad Tatum Bell didn't work out.

Portis went on to put up 8164 YSCM and 49 TD's with WASH (had 31 TD's and 3777 YSCM in only TWO years with Denver).

Champ has 3 TD's his entire time with Denver, made the following awards:

2004 1st Team All-Conf. Pro Football Weekly
2004 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press
2004 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers
2004 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News
2005 1st Team All-Conf. Pro Football Weekly
2005 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press
2005 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers
2005 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News
2006 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press
2006 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers
2006 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News
2007 2nd Team All-NFL Associated Press
2007 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers

Notice Champ hasn't made the top lists since 2007, though. Pro Bowls don't count IMO, because it's just a popularity contest.

It's hard to gauge Champ's overall influence on W's and L's, dude played on some horrible D's during his time in Denver, some of the worst D's in the League during his time in Denver.

Champ has avg'd 56 solo tackles per year in Denver, 4 INT's per year, 14 PD's per year.

What really disappointed me about Champ was his poor showing in the AFCCG against PITT. He totally blew the sure pick 6 in the first quarter then got worked pretty good through the rest of the game. PITT went after him and had good success. They worked him for 2 redzone TD's, got him to bite on the double move. Of course, maybe he was still hurting from Ben Watson hammering him so hard on the INT return the previous week.

I realize some people consider Champ to be some kind of god. He's a goodun, but I don't quite go overboard like a lot of people here.

errand
08-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I used to love Portis, the Miami U swag and the perfect fit in the ZBS. His first two years with denver were ELECTRIC he was arguable a top 5 back in the mix with Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis, LT and Sean Alexander.

But anyways he was at the time another back in a system that could do NO WRONG.. we were turning ex marines into rookie of the years, a FB in droughns into a 1300 yard rusher.

this is why TD has been snubbed for the hall of fame....the success in the Broncos ZBS of less talented RB's.

Kaylore
08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Well you outed yourself, Cito. You're probably the only guy left on this cite that still thinks the Bailey and Portis trade was bad for Denver. And listing Champ's stat is so weak since most of the time QB's would check to the next guy because he was covering so well, or just game plan to ignore him completely. Especially with scrubs like Roc Alexander and Lenny Walls to pick on.

You won't get an argument from me on Shanahan being a poor draft guy, particularly on defense. That doesn't mean he didn't completely win this trade.

Really enjoyed you trying to short-sell the greatest CB to wear a Bronco uniform and one of the the greatest in NFL history by showing he hasn't been all pro since 07, though.

While you're doing this, why don't you just go ahead and tell everyone your view on Reeves Vs. Elway?

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I'll own up to thinking it was a stupid trade. If the 2nd-rounder they got would have paid off it would have made the trade much, much more palatable.

Champ certainly has been an impact player, but it was a shame to trade a super-duper RB to cover for Shanny's own failures drafting/FA CB's. He had a decent CB in Tory James that he DID draft in round 2, but let go in FA. Of course the Dale Carter debacle. Then:

3rd rounder Chris Watson
5th rounder Darwin Brown

Portis was a flava clown that Shanny didn't like too much, but he did get good value in the trade, too bad Tatum Bell didn't work out.

Portis went on to put up 8164 YSCM and 49 TD's with WASH (had 31 TD's and 3777 YSCM in only TWO years with Denver).

Notice Champ hasn't made the top lists since 2007, though. Pro Bowls don't count IMO, because it's just a popularity contest.

It's hard to gauge Champ's overall influence on W's and L's, dude played on some horrible D's during his time in Denver, some of the worst D's in the League during his time in Denver.

Champ has avg'd 56 solo tackles per year in Denver, 4 INT's per year, 14 PD's per year.

What really disappointed me about Champ was his poor showing in the AFCCG against PITT. He totally blew the sure pick 6 in the first quarter then got worked pretty good through the rest of the game. PITT went after him and had good success. They worked him for 2 redzone TD's, got him to bite on the double move. Of course, maybe he was still hurting from Ben Watson hammering him so hard on the INT return the previous week.

I realize some people consider Champ to be some kind of god. He's a goodun, but I don't quite go overboard like a lot of people here.

Prepare thine anus.

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Prepare thine anus.

He has balls. Got to give him that. Big ones.

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
He has balls. Got to give him that. Big ones.

I'll give him that...even if his post is redicule.

Ratboy
08-21-2012, 07:09 PM

Yeah. I really enjoyed his play making ability while he was here.

That being said, I would make the trade every. single. time.

DHallblows
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM

3rd rounder Chris Watson
5th rounder Darwin Brown

Thaaaaat's right. I remembered someone being ridiculous and still hating the trade like 3 years ago. Now I remember you.

Think what you'd like though, good sir

razorwire77
08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1y1blQenw1rn6s30.jpg

Cito Pelon
08-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Well you outed yourself, Cito. You're probably the only guy left on this cite that still thinks the Bailey and Portis trade was bad for Denver. And listing Champ's stat is so weak since most of the time QB's would check to the next guy because he was covering so well, or just game plan to ignore him completely. Especially with scrubs like Roc Alexander and Lenny Walls to pick on.

You won't get an argument from me on Shanahan being a poor draft guy, particularly on defense. That doesn't mean he didn't completely win this trade.

Really enjoyed you trying to short-sell the greatest CB to wear a Bronco uniform and one of the the greatest in NFL history by showing he hasn't been all pro since 07, though.

While you're doing this, why don't you just go ahead and tell everyone your view on Reeves Vs. Elway?

Just because I don't worship Bailey as some kind of god like you do don't bust out the sneering.

Bailey, 8 years in a Bronco uniform, 3 TD's. Portis, 49 TD's in a WASH uniform. TD's win games. Bailey prevents a lot of TD's, but at the same time the Bronco defense still gave up a lot of TD's during his tenure here.

Greatest CB to wear a Bronco uniform? Maybe. And like you said, if there wasn't scrubs on the other side of the field, QB's would have picked on Bailey more. Teams mostly ignored Champ because they could pick apart the Bronco D in the middle with poor safety play, poor coverage LB's, and average to poor RCB play.

And yeah, it's interesting that Champ hasn't made the REAL awards lists since 2007. I've seen teams with good QB's move the chains throwing to Bailey's side. They don't get too far, but they move the chains. He's a goodun, though.

Broncos_OTM
08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
I hated the trade at the time. I can't for the life of me out him in my favorite all time broncos.

elway
td
atwater
tom Jackson
mecklenburg
Sharpe
rod smith
champ Bailey something like that

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Bailey, 8 years in a Bronco uniform, 3 TD's. Portis, 49 TD's in a WASH uniform. TD's win games. Bailey prevents a lot of TD's, but at the same time the Bronco defense still gave up a lot of TD's during his tenure here.

Yeah, it pretty much can't work like that. Portis didn't create all those touchdowns. The Denver Broncos were going to score rushing touchdowns with or without Clinton Portis.

In '02, we scored 21 rushing touchdowns with Portis. In '03 we scored 20 without him. With the added plus of the best CB in the league on the other side of the ball.

I can see maybe having been skeptical back in the day. But in hindsight, you make that trade a thousand times out of a thousand.

Cito Pelon
08-21-2012, 07:49 PM
I'll give him that...even if his post is redicule.

If Bailey would have stayed a Redskin all these years people on this board would be saying exactly what I did. It's only because he's been a Bronco that people are hanging all over his nuts. Same as with the Curtis Martin vs. TD debate.

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
If Bailey would have stayed a Redskin all these years people on this board would be saying exactly what I did. It's only because he's been a Bronco that people are hanging all over his nuts. Same as with the Curtis Martin vs. TD debate.

Just us nuthuggers and those jackholes who named Champ to the 2000's NFL All Decade 1st team

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-01-14-all-decade-cbs-champ-bailey_N.htm

I liked Portis. He had a good run. But he's not an ATG. He'll never sniff the Hall.

Champ is one of the best Broncos ever to play the game.

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM

You make it sound like Bailey is just a "good" corner. He's a future hall of famer... Curtis Martin was a very consistent back, T.D. was dominant.

Cito Pelon
08-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it pretty much can't work like that. Portis didn't create all those touchdowns. The Denver Broncos were going to score rushing touchdowns with or without Clinton Portis.

In '02, we scored 21 rushing touchdowns with Portis. In '03 we scored 20 without him. With the added plus of the best CB in the league on the other side of the ball.

I can see maybe having been skeptical back in the day. But in hindsight, you make that trade a thousand times out of a thousand.

You're getting your years mixed up there. Portis scored 14 TD's in 2003 with Denver. 1905 YSCM in 2003.

Denver ended up paying Bailey about $10 million more than WASH gave Portis. For 3 TD's vs. 49 TD's. Of course you can add in Tatum's 6 TD's I guess.

Bacchus
08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
The Denver Post has a poll. 98% saying Denver got the better end. When do you ever see 98% of the people agree on anything??

Broncos by a mile. Denver got a sure Hall of Famer in Bailey, who's still among the NFL's best cornerbacks. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=pollsResult>http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/polls_results.gif 391 Votes, or 98.73 %</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class=pollsAnswer>Hogs have an edge. Washington got a proven skill player, while the Broncos haven't had a star back since Portis left. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=pollsResult>http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/polls_results.gif 5 Votes, or 1.262 %</TD></TR>

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I feel so old, too! :egbgb:

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
You're getting your years mixed up there. Portis scored 14 TD's in 2003 with Denver. 1905 YSCM in 2003.

Denver ended up paying Bailey about $10 million more than WASH gave Portis. For 3 TD's vs. 49 TD's. Of course you can add in Tatum's 6 TD's I guess.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking '03 was Champ's first year.

But even though the rushing TD total fell some, the point remains. Champ for Portis may be the best personnel move Shanny ever made. At least after the SB years.

Edit: And the '04 offense scored one more TD overall than the '03 offense did with Portis.

So as far as point production went, no ****s were given. :)

TheChamp24
08-21-2012, 08:39 PM

3rd rounder Chris Watson
5th rounder Darwin Brown

Champ Bailey TWICE finished 2nd in Defensive Player of the Year Voting. Should have won it one year.
As for the All Pro awards, that goes with popularity too, plus factor in Champ's injury year in 2008, then people thought he was washed up but he still performed at a high level.

Champ is a HOF lock, regarded as probably the best CB of his generation and assuming he accepts his fate to play FS, he will garner even bigger numbers down the road.

RB's are a dime a dozen these days. Undrafted guys being All Pro like, 2nd rounders or later perennial Pro Bowlers.
A Pro Bowl RB is easier to replace than a runner up defensive player of the year, most consecutive Pro Bowls for a CB.

Tim
08-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Portis didn't retire last offseason?

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Holding Td's against Bailey is weak... but since td's are everything to you in this trade...

2004: Portis 5 rushing tds --------Droughs 6, Bell 3
2005: Portis 11 rushing tds-------Anderson 12, Bell 8
2006: Portis 7 rushing tds---------M. Bell 8, T Bell 2
2007: Portis 11 rushing tds-------Henry 4, Hall 2
2008: Portis 9 rushing tds---------Pittman 4, Hillis 5
2009: Portis 1 rushing td-----------Moreno 7
2010: Portis 2 rushing tds---------Moreno 5, Tebow 6, Buckhalter 2

Cito Pelon
You make it sound like Bailey is just a "good" corner. He's a future hall of famer... Curtis Martin was a very consistent back, T.D. was dominant.

Another thing that irritates me about Bailey is he can't return an INT for ****. He has 446 return yards with 50 INT's and only 7 TD's. That's about 225th on the all time return yards. That's awful. He's 33rd on the all time INT list and about 225th on the return yds list. There's more to playing CB than just coverage and tackling. If you want to talk about Bailey being an all time great, return yds and TD's have to be part of the conversation.

Simply Red
Portis didn't retire last offseason?

NSIS

Bacchus
08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I saw an article on Portis' house he bought in Washington DC. Just carzy, I'm sure he is broke now or will be in two years.

EDIT: Portis has his house for sale at the same price he bought it back in 2004.

http://dc.curbed.com/archives/2011/09/clinton-portis-takes-a-hit-on-his-mclean-mansion.php#georgetown-pike-4

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Another thing that irritates me about Bailey is he can't return an INT for ****. He has 446 return yards with 50 INT's and only 7 TD's. That's about 225th on the all time return yards. That's awful. He's 33rd on the all time INT list and about 225th on the return yds list. There's more to playing CB than just coverage and tackling. If you want to talk about Bailey being an all time great, return yds and TD's have to be part of the conversation.

So you don't believe Bailey will be inducted into the hall of fame as an all-time great cb?

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm sure he is broke now or will be in two years.

http://i50.tinypic.com/r2nggp.gif

broncosteven
08-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Nit picking.

I was at the 2005 game that turned that whole season around. Jake came off the field to boos at half time stinking the place up while the D kept the team in the game.

Then SD gets the ball to start the half and Brees threw a pick Champ took to the house and the whole game (and season) turned around. Plus later that year he had the Brady pick he should have got the TD on.

Champ deserves the HOF, he is perfect for it, a player with Tenure and the stats that earn him a slot.

Denver Bronco56
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Is this really turning into a thread about a HB having more touchdowns than a CB?

that might be the worst stat to compare the impact of two players playing two different positions...

AND INT's are nice but there is more to playing CB than picking off passes... if not than Deltha O'neal might have actually been considered a good CB, tackling and batting down passes are far more important than getting an INT.

And i would hope a starting HB would have more INTs than a CB.

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
hey, I'm not going to lie - I just like the guys ability to just randomly show up in a neon green wig or the sorts and not bat an eye.

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SmKIK.jpg

broncosteven
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Is this really turning into a thread about a HB having more touchdowns than a CB?

that might be the worst stat to compare the impact of two players playing two different positions...

AND INT's are nice but there is more to playing CB than picking off passes... if not than Deltha O'neal might have actually been considered a good CB, tackling and batting down passes are far more important than getting an INT.

I was at Deltha's 3 INT game vs KFC also.

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I was at Deltha's 3 INT game vs KFC also.

It was 4.

broncosteven
08-21-2012, 09:03 PM
It was 4.

I don't remember the 4th...

Ironlung
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't remember the 4th...

You could've been 10-12 beers deep by number 4, it happens.

broncosteven
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
You could've been 10-12 beers deep by number 4, it happens.

It was closer to 2 1/2 but the result was the same thing.

Tombstone RJ
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Which player is a first ballot HOF player? Yah, that puts this trade into perspective. Shanahan did some bone headed things as the Broncos de facto GM but he knocked this friggen trade out of the damn ball park IMHO.

Grand Slam, score for Shanahan.

Tombstone RJ
08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
People also forget that Portis wanted fat money. He was at odds with Shanny because he wanted a new contract and Shanny was not willing to poney up a big fat contract because Shanny knew he could replace Portis production.

Well, Portis got his money and Shanny got his HOF CB. As for replacing Portis, Shanny did ok IMHO. Sure, if Portis could have stuck around it would have probably been epic. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Shanarat will figure out a way to stick it to Denver before it's all said and done.

Tombstone RJ
08-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Shanarat will figure out a way to stick it to Denver before it's all said and done.

This trade is probably the reason why the Skins owner, Danny Snyder, is ok with Shanny making horrible decisions for his own football team. I mean, Shanny really bent the skins over on this trade.

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
This trade is probably the reason why the Skins owner, Danny Snyder, is ok with Shanny making horrible decisions for his own football team. I mean, Shanny really bent the skins over on this trade.

I like Shanarat pretty well, he grew on me over the years, ugly SOB though.

DHallblows
08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
The following RBs all scored more TDs in 2004 than Champ Bailey did in his ENTIRE career in Denver:

1 21-L.Tomlinson
2 37-S.Alexander
3 31-P.Holmes
4 37-D.Davis
5 21-W.McGahee
6 21-T.Barber
7 36-J.Bettis
8 32-R.Johnson
9 28-C.Dillon
10 28-C.Martin
11 22-E.Smith
12 26-D.McAllister
13 28-W.Dunn
14 32-E.James
15 27-L.Johnson
16 45-T.Duckett
17 23-D.Blaylock
18 32-M.Pittman
19 32-K.Barlow
20 20-T.Jones
21 30-A.Green
22 31-J.Lewis
23 21-J.Jones
24 31-S.Morris
25 29-C.Brown
26 37-N.Goings
27 34-R.Droughns
28 26-C.Portis
29 34-K.Jones
30 27-E.George
31 32-A.Smith
32 47-T.Wheatley
33 25-D.Levens
34 39-S.Jackson

34 players better than Champ ::)

Peoples Champ
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

i was at that game too

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
The following RBs all scored more TDs in 2004 than Champ Bailey did in his ENTIRE career in Denver:

1 21-L.Tomlinson
2 37-S.Alexander
3 31-P.Holmes
4 37-D.Davis
5 21-W.McGahee
6 21-T.Barber
7 36-J.Bettis
8 32-R.Johnson
9 28-C.Dillon
10 28-C.Martin
11 22-E.Smith
12 26-D.McAllister
13 28-W.Dunn
14 32-E.James
15 27-L.Johnson
16 45-T.Duckett
17 23-D.Blaylock
18 32-M.Pittman
19 32-K.Barlow
20 20-T.Jones
21 30-A.Green
22 31-J.Lewis
23 21-J.Jones
24 31-S.Morris
25 29-C.Brown
26 37-N.Goings
27 34-R.Droughns
28 26-C.Portis
29 34-K.Jones
30 27-E.George
31 32-A.Smith
32 47-T.Wheatley
33 25-D.Levens
34 39-S.Jackson

34 players better than Champ

Yeah - Especially Droughns. yep, totally agree!

TheChamp24
08-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Not like he intercepted a ton of passes where there was no return due to him making an incredible play, ala that one Saints interception he had flying across the end zone to nab the interception.
Or against the Raiders inside the 5 yard line with a pass intended for Randy Moss, and he jumped in front to nab the pick.

Its like being mad at Greg Maddux for not striking out more hitters. It doesn't make sense.

Peoples Champ
08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

1 21-L.Tomlinson
2 37-S.Alexander
3 31-P.Holmes
4 37-D.Davis
5 21-W.McGahee
6 21-T.Barber
7 36-J.Bettis
8 32-R.Johnson
9 28-C.Dillon
10 28-C.Martin
11 22-E.Smith
12 26-D.McAllister
13 28-W.Dunn
14 32-E.James
15 27-L.Johnson
16 45-T.Duckett
17 23-D.Blaylock
18 32-M.Pittman
19 32-K.Barlow
20 20-T.Jones
21 30-A.Green
22 31-J.Lewis
23 21-J.Jones
24 31-S.Morris
25 29-C.Brown
26 37-N.Goings
27 34-R.Droughns
28 26-C.Portis
29 34-K.Jones
30 27-E.George
31 32-A.Smith
32 47-T.Wheatley
33 25-D.Levens
34 39-S.Jackson

34 players better than Champ ::)

i see a few players on that list that will go in to the HOF with champ

strafen
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM
It was definitely a good trade off for us, no doubt.
I do however agree, that had he stayed with us, he would've had a stellar career, no doubt.
The pasture is not always greener on the other side of the fence. We've seen athletes like Portis do that, only to see their career go to hell in a hand basket...

Requiem
08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
A Chiefs fan arguing that Champ Bailey isn't a Hall of Fame player? LoL.

Simply Red
08-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Not like he intercepted a ton of passes where there was no return due to him making an incredible play, ala that one Saints interception he had flying across the end zone to nab the interception.
Or against the Raiders inside the 5 yard line with a pass intended for Randy Moss, and he jumped in front to nab the pick.

Its like being mad at Greg Maddux for not striking out more hitters. It doesn't make sense.

If I may ask, how did you start liking the Braves? ... assuming you do.

DHallblows
08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
i see a few players on that list that will go in to the HOF with champ

Agreed. What is your opinion on the other 30?

DenverBroncosJM
08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
I really liked Portis the costumes etc. he never shot himself or beat up a girlfriend was just a clown, damn I wish he could have stayed in Denver. I am happy we have Champ but Portis was awesome

Mogulseeker
08-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Cornerback, DT and OL are the toughest positions to statistically argue talent on.

It's hard on any position, but especially those ones.

Kaylore
08-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Just because I don't worship Bailey as some kind of god like you do don't bust out the sneering.

Greatest CB to wear a Bronco uniform? Maybe. And like you said, if there wasn't scrubs on the other side of the field, QB's would have picked on Bailey more. Teams mostly ignored Champ because they could pick apart the Bronco D in the middle with poor safety play, poor coverage LB's, and average to poor RCB play.

And yeah, it's interesting that Champ hasn't made the REAL awards lists since 2007. I've seen teams with good QB's move the chains throwing to Bailey's side. They don't get too far, but they move the chains. He's a goodun, though.

First, I wasn't sneering.

Second, by your own criteria, Bailey is still the better player.

You want to talk about All-Pro selections? Portis has one. Bailey has five. Four he got while wearing a Bronco uniform. Just because the press doesn't pay as much attention to a team west of the Mississippi that has been below average the last five years doesn't mean Bailey isn't a pro-bowl player.

Then this idiotic argument that because Portis scores touchdowns he's a better player? You're basically saying anyone on offense that can score a touchdown of any talent level is better than any defender of any ability level. Mike Anderson > Lawrence Taylor cause he scores more TD's, right? Gimme a break.

And really, what do you expect for TD's that apparently makes him so disappointing? I went and looked up some of the greatest DB's in the history of the NFL just to compare their TD's to Bailey's since you make it sound like his are "really low".

Mike Haynes 2
Willie Brown 2
Mel Blount 2
Champ Bailey 4
Lester Hayes 4
Night Train Lane 5
Ronnie Lott 5
Darrel Green 6
Deion Sanders 6

Bailey is on pace finish with the same number as two of the greatest DB's in history - maybe the best safety and corner ever. So I ask you again, how many is he "supposed" to be getting? Especially playing on teams where he never gets thrown at and we've had no pass rush for a decade.

It's complete and total nonsense. Bailey is an all decade, first ballot hall of fame player. And by your own ridiculous criteria, he still outperformed Portis.

Rohirrim
08-22-2012, 02:17 AM
CBs are rated by how many TDs they get? I didn't know that.

canadianbroncosfan
08-22-2012, 02:31 AM

Are you seriously repeating this argument over and over? You're comparing the TDs by a RB vs. the TDs of a CB?!?!?! I seriously don't understand this logic at all.

If we're going to compare absurd stat lines here's one.

Since being traded to the Broncos, by way of forced fumble or INT, Champ has caused 37 turnovers. During his time with the Redskins, Portis fumbled the ball 18 times. So you keep talking about TDs being the only thing that wins games (which is absurd at best), well then I'll be just as broad and say that turnovers are what loses games, therefore we still win on the Champ trade.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-22-2012, 05:54 AM
**** that bastard

Bob's your Information Minister
08-22-2012, 06:02 AM
at the end of the day Portis did more harm to the Chiefs so i pretty much hate him more.

You guys swept us in 02 and that kept us out of the playoffs.

Champ has feasted on some ****ty Chiefs teams that weren't gonna do **** anyway so he's not someone I really hate.

DENVERDUI55
08-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Which player is a first ballot HOF player? Yah, that puts this trade into perspective. Shanahan did some bone headed things as the Broncos de facto GM but he knocked this friggen trade out of the damn ball park IMHO.

Grand Slam, score for Shanahan.

He had a chance to really make it awesome. We could of shipped Portis for Bailey and used the 2 nd rd pick on a LB and taken Steven Jackson instead of Drunken DJ Williams. We had a chance to get the best RB in the draft.

BroncoFanDoug
08-24-2012, 01:46 AM

3rd rounder Chris Watson
5th rounder Darwin Brown

Wow, really dumb arguments! I think you are saying lets measure all players based on number of tds - that would make Kyle Orton a god compared to Ray Lewis. Even bringing up tds comparing offensive players to defensive players... wow, something not working correctly under that hat!

Portis was a really nice running back! During the time he played he was one of the best, but compared to rbs of all time he is just very good. We can all name 15 or 20 better rbs.

Champ is a 1st round hofer, Portis will never sniff it. Is there really anything else to say??

Having said that I am not sure that Champ was the best corner ever for the Broncos. Think Louis Wright - of all Broncos shunned by the HOF his galls me most.

Bacchus
08-24-2012, 02:07 AM
He had a chance to really make it awesome. We could of shipped Portis for Bailey and used the 2 nd rd pick on a LB and taken Steven Jackson instead of Drunken DJ Williams. We had a chance to get the best RB in the draft.

Every single team in the NFL can say the same thing about their draft. It's all just a crap shoot really.

lonestar
08-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Poort$$$$ was never missed by me in DEN.

But then many morons that played that were all about me and more money were not either.. Gald to see to see one less goof ball out of football.

Taco John
08-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Poort$$$$

I never understand why people do this $$$$ thing when talking about NFL players. If these guys aren't out there to milk every last dime out of their careers, then they are morons.

Bacchus
08-24-2012, 06:02 AM
I never understand why people do this $$$$ thing when talking about NFL players. If these guys aren't out there to milk every last dime out of their careers, then they are morons.

Your right, and Onlystar talks abpout Portis being about the money, when Champ came to Denver they gave him a huge contract and he wanted out of Washington because he wanted more money than what they wanted to give hime.

Kaylore
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Considering how Portis' career turned out, you could argue it turned out to be the best choice. He probably would have had a better career here, but he may not have been paid as much as early in his career. Players rarely see that second contract, especially running backs.

BroncoBeavis
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I especially don't have any issue with RB's being all about the money.

Those kids plain get chewed up and spit out by the NFL. I honestly hope they get every penny they can.

It's a lot harder to take from diva wideouts that are really only seriously involved in a handful of plays a game.

DENVERDUI55
08-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Every single team in the NFL can say the same thing about their draft. It's all just a crap shoot really.

Except we had a smoking hole at RB and the best back in the draft had fallen 10 spots to us and we passed for a average LB. Fail! It's not like Shanny wasn't thinking RB he took one not long after the drunk LB early in the 2nd.

lonestar
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Perhaps I'm old school when some one signs a contract no matter how one sided it may be ( in his case he was well compensated), one should be a man and live up to it. Honorable men would money gubbers not so.

I'm glad he was because we did not lose out on the deal and all poorti$$$ did was be a ****ing goof ball.

lonestar
08-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Your right, and Onlystar talks abpout Portis being about the money, when Champ came to Denver they gave him a huge contract and he wanted out of Washington because he wanted more money than what they wanted to give hime.

Different deals Champ was coming up for a new contract Poorti$$$ still had two full years on his.

Was had several CBs in Greene and another guy they had just drafted. forget his name. So I can see why they did not want to give him huge money.

I think everyone conviently forgets that poorti$$ wanted number one money but was at the time not even top five. And Champ iirc had already been to a couple pro bowls.

At the time I did not and still do not think he was worth the money he was given but I'd rather have a HOF player than a head case that the cross dresser was.

lonestar
08-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Your right, and Onlystar

For what it is worth the name games do not work on me and in this case
It is an epic fail as only star and lone star really mean the same thing. Hilarious!

Tombstone RJ
08-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Except we had a smoking hole at RB and the best back in the draft had fallen 10 spots to us and we passed for a average LB. Fail! It's not like Shanny wasn't thinking RB he took one not long after the drunk LB early in the 2nd.

Yep, can you imagine how awesome Steven Jackson would have been under a Shanny led offense? This was another ego pick by Shanny, that is, passing on Jackson to prove to the world he can replace Portis with a schmuck RB from Okey State.

Shanny should have taken Jackson and laughed all the way to the TD bank.

Cito Pelon
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking '03 was Champ's first year.

But even though the rushing TD total fell some, the point remains. Champ for Portis may be the best personnel move Shanny ever made. At least after the SB years.

Edit: And the '04 offense scored one more TD overall than the '03 offense did with Portis.

So as far as point production went, no ****s were given. :)

Yeah, but it took three RB's in 2004 to match Portis' production. It was a shame Shanny had to trade Portis to get a CB.

Cito Pelon
08-24-2012, 05:40 PM

It's about value to the team. Champ has had a lot of value to the team, Portis might have had more value to the team based on his first two years.

Portis went on to become 11th on the all-time list, and put up 49 TD's for the Skins. Hell, he had 31 TD's in two years with Denver. I figure he would have done better than that if he wasn't traded.

Requiem
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Shut the **** up already.

Ironlung
08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, but it took three RB's in 2004 to match Portis' production. It was a shame Shanny had to trade Portis to get a CB.

Who cares?! As long as tds are being scored...who cares whos scoring them?

Ironlung
08-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Holding Td's against Bailey is weak... but since td's are everything to you in this trade...

2004: Portis 5 rushing tds --------Droughs 6, Bell 3
2005: Portis 11 rushing tds-------Anderson 12, Bell 8
2006: Portis 7 rushing tds---------M. Bell 8, T Bell 2
2007: Portis 11 rushing tds-------Henry 4, Hall 2
2008: Portis 9 rushing tds---------Pittman 4, Hillis 5
2009: Portis 1 rushing td-----------Moreno 7
2010: Portis 2 rushing tds---------Moreno 5, Tebow 6, Buckhalter 2

We got a first ballot hof player & the Broncos still ran the ball.