PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts from the game.

Quoydogs
08-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Manning looked a little rusty but overall good. I did not see any problem with ball speed, although you can tell all the talk has been bothering him because you could really see him trying to put the heat on it. He should have had a T.D. that one was 100 % the WR fault.

All the talk about the O and the D is where its going to be at this year. They are going to be a real beast this year.

I don't think Peyton and Beybey are on the same page at all. I hope they can find a way to click.

Our running game seemed to be a little lacking, didn't look like the holes where there like last week.

Brock look bad but that could have been because he had zero time.

Caldwell took a huge hit, hope he is ok

Ayers seems to be trying and he looks like he could have a break out year this year or next.

Overall there was a weird funk on this game from the start. It's preseason still but I think we have a chance at something special this year. One of manning drives was for 80 yards and our O was unstoppable. If that is any indication of what we will look like by game 3 or 4 there is no one in this division that will stop us.

Play2win
08-18-2012, 10:14 PM
raj... raj.... raj....

Kaylore
08-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Manning looks good. He's coming along great. He had a few overthrows. That may have been nerves, but the fact that he's not underthrowing is fantastic.
Man-Ram is filling in well at guard. Kuper should fill in for Beadles when he get's back.
There were some unfortunate drops. Hopefully we work that out.
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the coaching staff sees in Lance Ball.
The Seahags seemed to playing dirty. Not really sure why...
Good to see the presure on from Von Doom.
Methwolfe and Malik Jackson keep geting better. That is encouragin.
Our linebackers are bad. That is going to be a problem.
The second half felt like a typical game we'd lose at home. Especially with us having everything bottled up and then the QB breaks the sack, runs for a first down, or throws it away into the hands of the receiver. That was really aggravating to watch.
Props to everyone who wanted Robert Turbin.
Britton Colquitt is the bomb.
Watching Manning run the hurry up was glorious.
The issues with the replacement officials are starting to manifest - and not just in our game...

Broncoman13
08-18-2012, 10:21 PM
OL looked okay in pass pro, dreadful in run blocking.

Knowshon didn't get too many chances, writing on the wall or pitch count?

Receivers not on the same page with Manning... To be expected, especially the first game with no huddle.

Doom, Miller, Wolfe, Warren and Mays played well. Champ great in coverage.

Still not sold on Rahim Moore. Bad habits when tackling still there. Nearly knocked himself out putting his head down to try and make a tackle. I hope Jim Leonard can play!

Woodyard a weak link. Need to make a trade for a WLB and a RB2!

Fedaykin
08-18-2012, 10:32 PM
How could you forget:

ORANGE!

NFLBRONCO
08-18-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd like to add a RB WR KR/PR WLB

Quoydogs
08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
[ The issues with the replacement officials are starting to manifest - and not just in our game...
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Man that one drive they held Miller twice and both would have been a sacks doom once and then finally called holding on the chickens tackle after that. That may have been the worst officiating drive I have ever seen.

Oh and how many times are you going to let that O-lineman 76 I think headbutt our guys before chucking him to the parking lot. The last time he did it they said his number and he did but did not penalize him for it. It was kinda like "Oh well"

ZONA
08-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Manning looks good. He's coming along great. He had a few overthrows. That may have been nerves, but the fact that he's not underthrowing is fantastic.
Man-Ram is filling in well at guard. Kuper should fill in for Beadles when he get's back.
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the coaching staff sees in Lance Ball.
The second half felt like a typical game we'd lose at home. Especially with us having everything bottled up and then the QB breaks the sack, runs for a first down, or throws it away into the hands of the receiver. That was really aggravating to watch.
The issues with the replacement officials are starting to manifest - and not just in our game...

I'm about where you are on all of that. The officials are garbage. I loved both Robert Turbin and Bernard Pierce. Wolf (I refuse to use that lame term meth) is looking solid. Mays, for every nice play there is a missed tackle or bad angle taken. Doom is looking great. He was held on 2 or 3 plays actually. Champ, what else can you say, the dude still has it. Chris Harris is another guy I have been big on and I think he will be a starting CB by year end. Ball, just not sold on this guy. He's decent but nothing special.

Quoydogs
08-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Did Knowshawn get hurt ? I think I only saw him play like 3 or 4 plays. What's up with Hillman ? and Ball ? I just don't get it.

Swedish Extrovert
08-18-2012, 11:36 PM

1. Ramirez played awesome last preseason, and he's outplaying Beadles and Walton this preseason. He really should be starting.

I went to TC last year as well, and Ramirez was tearing it up. I think he is solid starter material at this point.

"Man-Ram" isn't exactly an appropriate nickname, though Hilarious!

2. I hope they don't give up on Moreno because of Ball.

Ball seems to be a pretty intense player, but it really doesn't translate to production. He catches the ball well out of the backfield, but not as good as Moreno, and he did make a pretty good block preventing a safety on Osweiler.

Still, Moreno has a higher ceiling.

3. JDR might get these guys to play beyond their potential.

extralife
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I think it's pretty **** that we don't run the Indy stretch play :(

DT still can't really run routes

Moreno might get cut

McDman
08-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Hillman's hamstring is hurt. That is an injury you absolutely cannot rush back from.

Ball plays special teams and is a hard worker. The coaching staff seems to like him. He is a solid player but will never be anything more than a RB2 or RB3, nothing special about him.

McDman
08-18-2012, 11:50 PM
1. Ramirez played awesome last preseason, and he's outplaying Beadles and Walton this preseason. He really should be starting.

I went to TC last year as well, and Ramirez was tearing it up. I think he is solid starter material at this point.

"Man-Ram" isn't exactly an appropriate nickname, though Hilarious!

2. I hope they don't give up on Moreno because of Ball.

Ball seems to be a pretty intense player, but it really doesn't translate to production. He catches the ball well out of the backfield, but not as good as Moreno, and he did make a pretty good block preventing a safety on Osweiler.

Still, Moreno has a higher ceiling.

3. JDR might get these guys to play beyond their potential.

I've always defended Moreno but he just doesn't show anything promising. He can't just run north to south, he always has to dance. I just don't see it clicking for him.

pricejj
08-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Offense:
1. Once again opened the game in '122' personnel, although majority of plays were in the '113' set.
2. No-huddle looked great.
3. 1st team Offense did a much better job of running the ball consistently (which was a major point of emphasis going into the game...it will be tough sledding against the 49ers).
4. If Gronkowski makes the team, it will only be for special situations (goal line, etc.) as I expected...<5 plays per game. Too bad we can't coach up Tamme for FB to save the roster spot.
5. Saw Manning 'talking' to DT for pulling up on the go route. DT responded nicely with a few good catches in the 2 minute drive to end the half.
6. Stokley is going to be a big part of this Offense. I expect him to get 40-50 balls this year.
7. ManRam did a great job filling in for Kuper.
8. Liking Walton more now, not sure why. OL overall was awesome.
9. Ball had a couple nice catches, the fumble was ridiculous...didn't see enough out of any other backs.

Defense:
1. Looked very soft against the run initially, but shored it up decently.
2. Not sure I like Derek Wolfe playing every snap on Defense yet. Ayers should be starting LDE (with Wolfe playing on the inside more). Wolfe fighting off the double-team for the tackle on 3rd down was cat-quick.
3. Warren tossed an OL to the right, tossed an OL to the left, and met the RB for minimal gain. Man among boys.
4. Moore is cutting down on the major mistakes.
5. Mays CANNOT let RB's run through his arm tackles (I give him a little bit of cred in pass coverage)
6. Thank god for Champ Bailey
7. Chris Harris saved us a couple times.
8. Woodyard was invisible. Going to be tough without D.J. Can Brooking still play?
9. We need a PR badly, but it's going to be tough for Leonhard to make this team if he never plays. It would be a mistake to cut Bruton.

The backups (including Os) blow chunks.

Dexter
08-19-2012, 12:46 AM
OL looked okay in pass pro, dreadful in run blocking.
http://www.couponsavings.info/rec/smile.jpg
http://www.couponsavings.info/for/smile.jpg

The first team or 2nd team?

I thought the first team was great in both areas tonight. Mcgahee had a few great holes.

Blueflame
08-19-2012, 12:53 AM

Could this possibly be partially because of "sour grapes" in that they would have liked to have been players in the "Manning Sweepstakes" and were summarily dismissed? Another possible factor: they used to be in our division and we've historically owned them. My personal observation (living here in Seahawk territory) is that the Broncos are still generally perceived as the Seahawks' rivals; perhaps even moreso than the Rams, Cardinals, or 9'ers.

extralife
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
My personal observation (living here in Seahawk territory) is that the Broncos are still generally perceived as the Seahawks' rivals; perhaps even moreso than the Rams, Cardinals, or 9'ers.

poor saps

Durango
08-19-2012, 01:13 AM
The thing that makes me nervous is that our depth seems terribly lacking.

The starters looked pretty good, minus some terrible coverage and gap errors, but the back-ups seem lost, and I'm not talking about QB specifically, although Hanie absolutely sucks, and yes, I know he didn't get any snaps tonight, thank God..

I agree the LB's are a serious weakness in that defense. I know Del Rio is a great defensive guy, so I am hoping he can cover that up in some way.

ol#7
08-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I am just glad hat we finally are getting to see some red zone INT's, been missing that since the Cutler trade.

Blueflame
08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
poor saps

There are some pretty intense rivalries in the AFC West... and the Seahawks were in the AFCW for more years than they've been in the NFCW. And admit it... if an NFL re-alignment moved the Broncos into a different division, you'd still intensely dislike the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers. We all would.

Doggcow
08-19-2012, 01:30 AM
There are some pretty intense rivalries in the AFC West... and the Seahawks were in the AFCW for more years than they've been in the NFCW. And admit it... if an NFL re-alignment moved the Broncos into a different division, you'd still intensely dislike the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers. We all would.

Yes, but, I feel the seahawks fabricated rivalries. You have to actually compete with someone to be their rival.

Broncobiv
08-19-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure how we can credit Von Miller for getting pressure on the QB while at the same time condemning the overall LB play. Von Miller is a LB, is he not? Therefore, ESPECIALLY as a #2 overall pick, he needs to excel at more than just a pass rusher. Unless we line him up as a DE, then he needs to be expected to do more than rush the passer. Crappy LB play? Then some of that falls on Miller! Sorry Von...you need to be able to cover the TE and tackle rushers and do all the other things that elite LB's are expected top do. You CANNOT be a one-trick pony!

Blueflame
08-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes, but, I feel the seahawks fabricated rivalries. You have to actually compete with someone to be their rival.

They were actually more competitive with the Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs than the Chargers were for most of the years they were in the AFCW (Bolts are the only AFC West team that has a losing record head-to-head vs. the Seahawks).

Seahawks head-to-head vs:

Broncos: 18 - 34
Chiefs: 18 - 32
Raiders: 23 - 28
Chargers: 26 - 23

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/head-to-head.htm

Edited to add: Just noticed that no team in the NFL has beaten the Seahawks more times than our 34... so if they had a "chip on their shoulder" tonight, perhaps that could be why.

ZONA
08-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Offense:
1. Once again opened the game in '122' personnel, although majority of plays were in the '113' set.
2. No-huddle looked great.
3. 1st team Offense did a much better job of running the ball consistently (which was a major point of emphasis going into the game...it will be tough sledding against the 49ers).
4. If Gronkowski makes the team, it will only be for special situations (goal line, etc.) as I expected...<5 plays per game. Too bad we can't coach up Tamme for FB to save the roster spot.
5. Saw Manning 'talking' to DT for pulling up on the go route. DT responded nicely with a few good catches in the 2 minute drive to end the half.
6. Stokley is going to be a big part of this Offense. I expect him to get 40-50 balls this year.
7. ManRam did a great job filling in for Kuper.
8. Liking Walton more now, not sure why. OL overall was awesome.
9. Ball had a couple nice catches, the fumble was ridiculous...didn't see enough out of any other backs.

Defense:
2. Not sure I like Derek Wolfe playing every snap on Defense yet. Ayers should be starting LDE (with Wolfe playing on the inside more). Wolfe fighting off the double-team for the tackle on 3rd down was cat-quick.
3. Warren tossed an OL to the right, tossed an OL to the left, and met the RB for minimal gain. Man among boys.
4. Moore is cutting down on the major mistakes.
5. Mays CANNOT let RB's run through his arm tackles (I give him a little bit of cred in pass coverage)
6. Thank god for Champ Bailey
7. Chris Harris saved us a couple times.
8. Woodyard was invisible. Going to be tough without D.J. Can Brooking still play?
9. We need a PR badly, but it's going to be tough for Leonhard to make this team if he never plays. It would be a mistake to cut Bruton.

The backups (including Os) blow chunks.

That Ball fumble WAS super pathetic. I can understand if a back is running and somebody from behind lunges and comes down on the ball perfectly knocking it free or if it's a big time hit. No excuse to run into your OL and then let some dude just rip it free when you can see it coming.

On a side note - did you see McGahee tip toe through to the endzone. That was special. Love how he runs. Didn't stop and try to run another direction or hesitate. Keep those feet moving and don't lose your momentum. He's one helluva runner.

extralife
08-19-2012, 03:36 AM
There are some pretty intense rivalries in the AFC West...

and the seahawks were involved in exactly zero of them

Garcia Bronco
08-19-2012, 06:23 AM
We looked like ass out there, IMO. C's for everybody.

HorseHead
08-19-2012, 06:31 AM
I know why the Seahags were playing with some nasty last night, those f-in uniforms..

Please don't tell me they look cool...they blow more than a Kardashian..

Love the Orange, but I think I have to mess with the HD, they looked radioactive last night...

Vegas_Bronco
08-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Pow...We have absolutely zero depth in key skills positions. I love mcgahee (plays the addai role) but we need a scat back desperately. KnoMo is done in my eyes, he has zero power and I thought a versatile back is suppose to make a guy miss every once in a while? Also our wr and te corp needs more speed. I dont see peyton throwing 4 tds a game with this group. He should have 2 burners and 3 solid wrs to throw to. Right now we have a 3 of the 5 above and missing the speed. Te play was ridiculous...i couldnt be less impressed with a group that is supposed to be strong. The offense is still n trouble and im not sure we have the right personnel depth for this offense. I was really impresssed with seattles backup qb...small and fast...something brock will have to be good at...using his feet to get a first down every once in a while. His footwork right now is statuesque...but you have to love his arm and he has no fear of waiting for the last second to get his ball off.

Defnse looked solid in the middle but we still cannot hold an edge and our dbacks and safeties need to get off their blocks quicker. I feel like the presence of dawkins was misssed esp in the running game. I was impressed with the dline and freakin carter had a great game. Here is my gameplan aganst denver week 1: run to the outside and pass down the middle...both are soft serve.

swaiy
08-19-2012, 06:55 AM
You guys act like the sky is falling lol.

gunns
08-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Wondering if this was partially a "home game" thing with the nerves, along with the rest of the team
Hopefully nothing soon
I would be thrilled if the defense was our calling card this year. My concern last night was the run defense, the pass defense looked good. Last week it was the run defense that looked good. Preseason.
True, Von cannot do it by himself
Thank you. Also Wilson who looked good

JCMElway
08-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Could this possibly be partially because of "sour grapes" in that they would have liked to have been players in the "Manning Sweepstakes" and were summarily dismissed? Another possible factor: they used to be in our division and we've historically owned them. My personal observation (living here in Seahawk territory) is that the Broncos are still generally perceived as the Seahawks' rivals; perhaps even moreso than the Rams, Cardinals, or 9'ers.

I think it's becasue of the d-bag coach Pete Carroll. Poor leadership and the players equate dirty play with tough play.

CEH
08-19-2012, 08:11 AM
A 2 minute 80 yard drive against a top 10 defense with 3 Pro Bowlers that should have ended in an easy 9 yard TD

1st and goal from the 21 with 17 seconds left that should have ended in a TD

On pace for 340 yards and 28 points against the 6th ranked defense last night in only his 2nd game back in 20 months

I liked alot from what I saw last night.

meanwhile Rivers is throwing two picks for SD and he played within the last 6 months

Quoydogs
08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
A 2 minute 80 yard drive against a top 10 defense with 3 Pro Bowlers that should have ended in an easy 9 yard TD

1st and goal from the 21 with 17 seconds left that should have ended in a TD

On pace for 340 yards and 28 points against the 6th ranked defense last night in only his 2nd game back in 20 months

I liked alot from what I saw last night.

meanwhile Rivers is throwing two picks for SD and he played within the last 6 months

Agreed, I really think Manning is a couple weeks from showing everyone why we paid him 20 million. Also do you really think Doom and Von would let that little dude run around like that ? Those would have been sacks if they were playing. Wolfe, Warren and Ayers yes I said Ayers are going to be a real force this year.

One thing I think I forgot to say was i was impressed with the control JDR has over our D. Seattle was playing straight up dirty ball, I have a projector so I get to see things on a 9' by 11' screen. It helps catch the little things and I saw spitting, slapping of the ear hole on the helmet, a head butt just plain nasty ****. Our D sucked it up, did not let it go to there heads and got zero penalty yards for it.

bowtown
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
You guys act like the sky is falling lol.

Welcome to Omane preseason... where rookies become immediate busts, vanilla game plans are torn apart, Chris Simms can become Tom Brady and talking people down from the ledge is impossible.

gyldenlove
08-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Positives:

The first team offensive line gave Manning plenty of time, he was only truly pressured twice in the entire 1st half of the game against a very solid Seahawks defensive front.

The CBs are very good, Champ completely shut down his side, Chris Harris had 2 glorious shots at interceptions but was unable to bring the ball in, but had great coverage, Florence made a really heads up play on the force out in the end zone, although his coverage was not quite as strong. Outside of the top 4 it is a different story, but you would expect it to be.

The pass rush is really good, Dumervil had his way with Okung, Miller was able to bullrush offensive linemen and TEs/RBs, we got some interior pressure as well from Warren and Wolfe as well. Even the 2nd teamers with Beal and Ayers got good pressure and collapsed the pocket a lot. We also got pressure on blitzes which was nice, I felt a lot of times last year out blitzes were soaked up too easily.

Negatives:

Lance Ball is not very good at anything, he doesn't run with any speed or elusiveness, he is decent at running to the sideline and standing there waiting for the ball, but you are not going to make a living with those 4 year dump offs with no yards after catch. I hope so much that Hillman can come in and displace him on the depth chart.

The linebackers are a big problem, Mays still doesn't have instincts to play the run or athleticism to play the pass, Woodyard is great at finding the ball 6 yards downfield and make the tackle or running a step behind the TE, but neither of those skills pay the bills. Irving looked very similar to Mays, he had a few good plays and a few bad plays.

The safeties were too passive, I didn't see any glaring mistakes but they weren't involved in the play enough and that has instincts written all over it, hopefully with more playing time that will come.

The 2nd team offense was appalling and it all started with the o-line, they gave up pressure on every pass play and didn't open any running lanes.

My major take away from this game was that our starters are good on both sides of the ball and that is encouraging, the passing was very basic and I think in a real game we would open up things a bit more and the results should be better.

montrose
08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
raj... raj.... raj....

Yes?

Heyneck
08-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Sup people!!! Didn't get to see the game... any injuries to report?

Quoydogs
08-19-2012, 09:19 AM

The only one I saw was Caldwell. It was big and he is hurting today I guarantee. It looked like a couple broken ribs if not a broken back. He did walk off the field though.

That's all I can think of though.

peacepipe
08-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I'll be watching the game tonight on NFLN. but from the highlights i've seen,peyton is looking pretty good. the impression I'm getting is that the offense is just having some chemistry issues.

Vegas_Bronco
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM

Just a few redzone and typical scoreboard injuries.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
People need to realize this is preseason. They did have the lead when manning and the starters were pulled. To think the 2nd half would go that way in a real game is suspect. It's not a game they would've lost.

What this game does show is there is absolutely no depth on this team. And if injuries happen at key positions it's gonna get ugly.

Heyneck
08-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Glad to hear we did good in the injury department... the rust and chemistry issues where expected. Better in a preseason game than the start of the regular season!

Heard Bruton had a great game!!!! Hope he sticks over Jim L.

lolcopter
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
People need to realize this is preseason. They did have the lead when manning and the starters were pulled.

this

and the defensive starters were pulled before the offensive starters fwiw

Quoydogs
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I'll be watching the game tonight on NFLN. but from the highlights i've seen,peyton is looking pretty good. the impression I'm getting is that the offense is just having some chemistry issues.

I hope it's not the Seattle Announcers I had to listen to last night. God they sucked !

milehighJC
08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
People need to realize this is preseason. They did have the lead when manning and the starters were pulled. To think the 2nd half would go that way in a real game is suspect. It's not a game they would've lost.

What this game does show is there is absolutely no depth on this team. And if injuries happen at key positions it's gonna get ugly.

All summer, I have felt like the critical point on this team is the o-line. If they play well, and stay relatively injury free, then I think it will be a good year - meaning Manning will have the necessary time to pick apart opposing defenses, and just as importantly can stay healthy. If not, then it could be a long year. I said that to say this... with Kuper down, I was concerned that we could have been in a little trouble last night... and yet I think they did ok. The 2 min drill was FUN to watch, even if it didnt result in a TD (it is pre-season after all).

Net, given that its pre-season, I like the way the first team looked, but depth may well be a problem. The 2nd half was painful to watch.

Pittsburgh is going to come in here with something to prove. Any more problems on the o-line, and Manning may be running for his life. But I cant wait, the stadium will be rocking, the beer will be flowing, and the BS pre season will be over!

Kaylore
08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear we did good in the injury department... the rust and chemistry issues where expected. Better in a preseason game than the start of the regular season!

Heard Bruton had a great game!!!! Hope he sticks over Jim L.

I forgot to mention this. Dude got his hands on two punts!

Hamrob
08-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Great observations Kaylore. I must be the only one on this board who thinks Beadles is improving....but, he's looked good the past 2-weeks. I don't think Ram is better than him. If you do...I'd encourage you to go watch the Magahee TD run and take a look at Ramirez...Pathetic.

The other note I would make: This is the preseason...meaning that our offense is 100% plain jane. We aren't about to show a darn thing in the preseason...and telegraph the Steelers. Let's don't forget that folks!

One last thing....our offense only had the ball for 20 minutes the entire game. We were like 1-8 on 3rd downs. That says a lot about what we saw. 38yds rushing.

NFLBRONCO
08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I think everyone understands its preseason and we are going to be plain jane and sputter etc. Even with that you can get an idea what your strengths and weaknesses are on your team. It doesn't mean you panic either this early which I wasn't. The areas I think need to be upgraded depth wise are RB WR KR LB but, doesn't mean the Broncos will do any of these upgrades either. They like guys we don't that's for sure.

CEH
08-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Forget preseason I've seen enough to know we are light years ahead of last years qb

Once the season starts manning will command the field know where every player has to be at all times and will work with the 4th string if the game plan calls for it it's just who he is

dictionary
08-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Ive been rewatching the game. Holy hell, the officials were terrible. Von Miller and Doom were held on almost every single snap. It was truly impressive.

Kaylore
08-19-2012, 02:07 PM

My problem with that is I personally think players don't give a crap about that. Most of them grew up fans of other teams, and they're mercenaries. I doubt the players decided they "owed one" to the Broncos. There isn't a player on that team that even played against us as a member of our division. I think this has more to do with Pete Carol coaching his players to be douche bags.

CEH
08-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Watch the 22 yard seam route to Stokley at about the :50 mark and let me know if anyone wants to question Manning velocity. Vintage Manning in the 2 minute drill just shreadding the defense

gyldenlove
08-19-2012, 03:02 PM
My problem with that is I personally think players don't give a crap about that. Most of them grew up fans of other teams, and they're mercenaries. I doubt the players decided they "owed one" to the Broncos. There isn't a player on that team that even played against us as a member of our division. I think this has more to do with Pete Carol coaching his players to be douche bags.

I agree with this, we have seen how teams have gone from being heavily penalized to being one of the least penalized teams in the league just from switching coaches. Discipline starts with the coaches, Del Rio seems to have a very good grasp of the defense and keeping their aggression within the confines of the game.

There is some element of rivalries you in interdivision play between teams who see each other twice a year, with coaches, owners, fans and older players who perpetuate the dislike for a specific team but that is certainly not the case with Seattle and Denver.

I think being dirty on the field is something some teams do to act tougher, we saw the Titans do the same thing under Swartz and the Lions are now doing it. I am sure there is an element of intimidation to it, but I think much of it has to do with a way to create an us and them attitude, if you are aggressive and physical you are probably going to be penalized more and other teams will be more likely to be aggressive towards you, helping to create a cohesiveness on the team - this is of course a poor surrogate to creating cohesiveness through success.

Jetmeck
08-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Just watched the game on the network tonight. OMG those jerseys look fluorescent, almost hurt my eyes.

first half only one bad pass...........several drops so he is fine.
defense looks good except for a couple of run plays...seattle is a great running team though

Jekyll15Hyde
08-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Ive been rewatching the game. Holy hell, the officials were terrible. Von Miller and Doom were held on almost every single snap. It was truly impressive.

This! From my seat, we were all wondering how there wasnt more holding. Doom was getting sooo pissed

I have only made it though the first couple series on the DVR today

broncocalijohn
08-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure how we can credit Von Miller for getting pressure on the QB while at the same time condemning the overall LB play. Von Miller is a LB, is he not? Therefore, ESPECIALLY as a #2 overall pick, he needs to excel at more than just a pass rusher. Unless we line him up as a DE, then he needs to be expected to do more than rush the passer. Crappy LB play? Then some of that falls on Miller! Sorry Von...you need to be able to cover the TE and tackle rushers and do all the other things that elite LB's are expected top do. You CANNOT be a one-trick pony!

To be fair, I didnt see much of Miller in the 2nd Quarter.

Notes: (I need to see the first 2 series as I am watching it on my DVR now)

Fox must like Ball as he muffs the handoff but he keeps him in there for mostly pass plays. If Moreno has a chance to get some playing time this season, it doesn't look good when Ball is in there after the muff. Maybe Moreno played more the first 2 series, I shall see and review.

Tamme wants to be 2nd string, he is letting Dressen beat him. Two drop passes cannot be dismissed. Dressen can block too.

WHile the Manning 2nd pick was horrific, if you watch the play, Decker decides to alligator arm it and the pass gets straight to the defender. That pass could or possibly been tipped if Decker goes for it.

Mays actually looked decent and was in some plays as was Woodward. Something positive for two guys that really need to step up.

LongDongJohnson
08-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I didnt see von miller play after the first few series. Nate Irving replaced him. Miller must have had cramps or something. Or maybe he played DE and I didnt see him.

Ziggy
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
The Broncos pulled Doom and Von after the 1st quarter.

Beantown Bronco
08-20-2012, 05:20 AM
The Broncos pulled Doom and Von after the 1st quarter.

Surprised the Broncos didn't get called for holding, given the way these replacement refs are going.

cmhargrove
08-20-2012, 06:12 AM
I think the only reason Moreno sticks on this team may be his pass pro/blitz pickup. I would certainly rather see Jeremiah Johnson get touches than Moreo or Ball, at least he is capable of big plays every now and then.

I wish we could "showcase" Moreno for the last preseason game, then trade him for a bag of chips.

Boogerboots
08-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Taking away the backup curb stomping in the second half, Broncos won the first half 10-9 despite 3 turnovers. Props to the D for stuffing the Seahags offence and holding them to just the 3 fgs with short fields.

Looked like Flynn was really forcing the ball to TO which hampered their game plan to some extent.

Tombstone RJ
08-20-2012, 07:48 AM
They were actually more competitive with the Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs than the Chargers were for most of the years they were in the AFCW (Bolts are the only AFC West team that has a losing record head-to-head vs. the Seahawks).

Seahawks head-to-head vs:

Broncos: 18 - 34
Chiefs: 18 - 32
Raiders: 23 - 28
Chargers: 26 - 23

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/head-to-head.htm

Edited to add: Just noticed that no team in the NFL has beaten the Seahawks more times than our 34... so if they had a "chip on their shoulder" tonight, perhaps that could be why.

I have to admit that of all the AFCW teams I like the hawks the best, or should I say, I disliked the hawks the least? Maybe it was because I like the city of Seattle and I thought the hawk's old unis were cool when I was growing up? I dunno, anyhow, I just never considered the hawks much of a rivalry. Although, I could not stand Brian Bosworth.

2KBack
08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Looked a hell of a lot like 1 team playing to evaluate, with the other one playing to win

fdf
08-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't think Peyton and Beybey are on the same page at all. I hope they can find a way to click.

I was at camp last Thursday. One thing that I thought was glaring was how approximate Thomas' cuts were in drills. Stokley's angles, e.g., are razor sharp. Thomas kind of describes a curve thru the cut. He starts the cut before the other receivers do and kind of glides thru it in a curve.

I don't know if that's the source of the out-of-sync.

fdf
08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Offense:

I wasn't too encouraged that we solidified against the run when Lynch left the game. He would have easily put up 150 yards had he stayed in the game.

LRtagger
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I think the only reason Moreno sticks on this team may be his pass pro/blitz pickup. I would certainly rather see Jeremiah Johnson get touches than Moreo or Ball, at least he is capable of big plays every now and then.

Based on what? He has only been in the league one less year than Moreno. His career long run is 25 yards.

I liked JJ better when we were running the spread option, but I think Moreno is a better fit for the manning offense. My only concern is his durability which has been what has held him back this year and last. He was questionable for the game Sat and Im guessing that is what held him out. Guess we will see.

pricejj
08-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I wasn't too encouraged that we solidified against the run when Lynch left the game. He would have easily put up 150 yards had he stayed in the game.

Lynch's cut-backs were ridiculous. LB corp is crap. Not impressed with Mays or Woodyard so far...hope they improve. Looks an awful lot like a return to the deep-zone monkey scatter that we have been accustomed to seeing out of Bronco Defenses ever since Al Wilson retired. Don't like Wolfe playing every down this early in his career, he disappeared after the first couple series.

hambone13
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I was at camp last Thursday. One thing that I thought was glaring was how approximate Thomas' cuts were in drills. Stokley's angles, e.g., are razor sharp. Thomas kind of describes a curve thru the cut. He starts the cut before the other receivers do and kind of glides thru it in a curve.

I don't know if that's the source of the out-of-sync.

I'm with Rev on Thomas not being crisp on his routes and playing like he's "suppose" to be here. I haven't seen "Hungry" outta that guy from day one. He needs to watch some Walter Payton tape and self-evaluate. That pass that was "over thrown", he should have at least been reaching for it. I'm not sold on him at all. Physical tools = Y.....Mental Tools = WFK's and he seems to a have a bit of Dim-Cheez, melted all over him.

pricejj
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Stokley is going to play a MUCH larger role in this Offense than many of us anticipated...

The majority of first half plays were out of the '113' personnel set (posse), with Stokley (including the 2-minute Offense at the end of the half).

This may be due to the fact that they were trying to get work in for Manning (23 passes is a ton), or it might not. You would think they would go with more '122' personnel if they wanted a more balanced (pass/run) attack.

I expect to see more of the same vs. the 49ers because their rush Defense is phenomenal.

The problem is, that the '113' personnel set really hurts the running game (ask the 2010 Colts).

Ziggy
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Based on what? He has only been in the league one less year than Moreno. His career long run is 25 yards.

I liked JJ better when we were running the spread option, but I think Moreno is a better fit for the manning offense. My only concern is his durability which has been what has held him back this year and last. He was questionable for the game Sat and Im guessing that is what held him out. Guess we will see.

He has a total of 14 attempts. I'm not on the JJ bandwagon either, but that's too small of a sample size to look at. I'd rather see Omon get a chance. He doesn't have the speed, but can run between the tackles and drive the pile.

Quoydogs
08-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Stokley is going to play a MUCH larger role in this Offense than many of us anticipated...

The majority of first half plays were out of the '113' personnel set (posse), with Stokley (including the 2-minute Offense at the end of the half).

This may be due to the fact that they were trying to get work in for Manning (23 passes is a ton), or it might not. You would think they would go with more '122' personnel if they wanted a more balanced (pass/run) attack.

I expect to see more of the same vs. the 49ers because their rush Defense is phenomenal.

The problem is, that the '113' personnel set really hurts the running game (ask the 2010 Colts).

This may be a stupid question but I have seen you post the 113' personnel and the 122'

What the hell is this ?

LRtagger
08-20-2012, 11:18 AM
He has a total of 14 attempts. I'm not on the JJ bandwagon either, but that's too small of a sample size to look at. I'd rather see Omon get a chance. He doesn't have the speed, but can run between the tackles and drive the pile.

Exactly. He has been in the league 3 years and has 14 carries. That should tell you something.

lolcopter
08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
WHile the Manning 2nd pick was horrific, if you watch the play, dreessen decides to alligator arm it and the pass gets straight to the defender. That pass could or possibly been tipped if dreessen goes for it.

fyp

pricejj
08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
This may be a stupid question but I have seen you post the 113' personnel and the 122'

What the hell is this ?

It's widely used terminology to indicate how many skill position players are on the field...RB/TE/WR.

'122' personnel: 1RB, 2TE's, and 2WR's (McGahee, Tamme, Dreessen, Decker, DT)
'113' personnel: 1RB, 1TE, 3WR's (the 3rd WR so far is always Stokley)
'212' personnel: 2 RB's, 1TE, 2WR's (I-formation, or split-back)

I have been monitoring the personnel on the field, because I am trying to determine if we are going to be using a lot of 2-back set (like McCoy wanted), or a lot of '122' set (like 2006 Colts), or '113' set (like (2010 Colts).

So far it looks like about:
'113' - 65%
'122' - 35%
'212' - 1 play in each game (while Manning was on the field)

'122' could be better for the running game (because you have a TE on the field instead of Stokley). However, Stokley is catching the ball very well...and seems to always be open.

One thing is for certain, we will be running a lot of no-huddle this year...which could be devastating to opposing Defenses at Mile High.

You can also leave off the last digit, because it is inferred based on the first two digits...therefore '12' personnel is '122' or 1RB/2TE/2WR.

Quoydogs
08-20-2012, 12:18 PM
It's widely used terminology to indicate how many skill position players are on the field...RB/TE/WR.

'122' personnel: 1RB, 2TE's, and 2WR's (McGahee, Tamme, Dreessen, Decker, DT)
'113' personnel: 1RB, 1TE, 3WR's (the 3rd WR so far is always Stokley)
'212' personnel: 2 RB's, 1TE, 2WR's (I-formation, or split-back)

I have been monitoring the personnel on the field, because I am trying to determine if we are going to be using a lot of 2-back set (like McCoy wanted), or a lot of '122' set (like 2006 Colts), or '113' set (like (2010 Colts).

So far it looks like about:
'113' - 65%
'122' - 35%
'212' - 1 play in each game (while Manning was on the field)

'122' could be better for the running game (because you have a TE on the field instead of Stokley). However, Stokley is catching the ball very well...and seems to always be open.

One thing is for certain, we will be running a lot of no-huddle this year...which could be devastating to opposing Defenses at Mile High.

You can also leave off the last digit, because it is inferred based on the first two digits...therefore '12' personnel is '122' or 1RB/2TE/2WR.
Makes since now thanks.

mkporter
08-20-2012, 01:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that when anyone here says "the overall LB play is lacking" you can correctly interpret that as "the overall LB play outside of Von is lacking."

Rabb
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
We have to find someone to replace Beadles, he is just terrible.

pricejj
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Regardless of what you think of Manning's rust factor, he completed 69.5% of his pass attempts (with two blatant drops by Decker and Tamme)...what does that really mean?

1. Manning can do for the Broncos, what he did for the Colts...win games BY HIMSELF by throwing the ball >35 times per game (if necessary).
2. Broncos should be able to make the playoffs with any remote semblance of a run game and Defense.

In other words, protect this MOFO by any means necessary!

Manning = ticket to SuperBowl.

TerrElway
08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Alfred Williams is KILLING the defense on the ol' radio right now but his arguments are circular.

He says the DL played well and the Secondary is great but the D is likely 20th to 25th best out of 32 teams right now and that people better be concerned about that and forget about the offense.

Can't really follow his logic (or lack thereof).

Kaylore
08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
We have to find someone to replace Beadles, he is just terrible.

Not if you ask Angry Llama, who thankfully has left this site hopefully forever. Durrrr!!!!

CEH
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Orlando Franklin needs to stay on his feet. Irvin the rook pushed him down and hit PMF

pricejj
08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Alfred Williams is KILLING the defense on the ol' radio right now but his arguments are circular.

He says the DL played well and the Secondary is great but the D is likely 20th to 25th best out of 32 teams right now and that people better be concerned about that and forget about the offense.

Can't really follow his logic (or lack thereof).

Sounds about right. LB's are utter **** against the run. Similar to Nate Webster days...

Mays - lost
Woodyard - invisible
Miller - pass rusher, but not great against the run

Oh, and Safeties are nothing special either. Interior OL (sans Warren) is crap against the run too. Basically, the entire middle of the Defense is highly suspect, just like we knew coming into the offseason.