PDA

View Full Version : Possible Return Man?

GreatBronco16
08-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Not sure how we are looking in the return game right now, well atleast with punt returns. But you think Elway might take a look at this guy?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8268836/2012-london-games-silver-medalist-jeff-demps-reportedly-pursuing-nfl-career

OBF1
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Punt and kickoff returns, slot receiver, WR, scat back..... Just make it happen, you can not coach the speed this kid has. He is world class fast.

Lestat
08-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Punt and kickoff returns, slot receiver, WR, scat back..... Just make it happen, you can not coach the speed this kid has. He is world class fast.

i wonder who would win a kick return race between him and Holliday of the Texans.

razorwire77
08-14-2012, 11:46 AM
28.8 per return in the SEC is impressive. Elite speed is something this team could always use more of.

OBF1
08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
28.8 per return in the SEC is impressive. Elite speed is something this team could use but does not have

fixed it for you :thumbs:

Ronnie Tsunami
08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Jeff Demps is up for grabs. We need a return man pretty freakin bad, if you ask me. It also can't hurt to have a second Ronnie Tsunami on the team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8268836/2012-london-games-silver-medalist-jeff-demps-reportedly-pursuing-nfl-career

Demps went undrafted after he informed teams he was pursuing track fulltime.

Demps finished his Florida career with 2,470 yards rushing and 23 touchdowns.

He had 569 yards rushing and six touchdowns last season. He also was a dangerous kickoff returner, averaging 28.8 yards per return in his four-year career.

OBF1
08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=106558

Swedish Extrovert
08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Good lord, yes. I remember seeing this prospect as a 2nd rounder, until he dropped out of the draft to train for the olympics.

Please make this happen, Elway.

Requiem
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Offer him a ten year deal!!!!

OBF1
08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
i wonder who would win a kick return race between him and Holliday of the Texans.

Holliday's fastest time was a 10.00 to win the NCAA's years ago

Demps high school time of 10.01 is still a national record.

I am not sure what Demps ran while working with the Olympic team this past summer but his track coach stated that Demps is in the 9.8's now.

Take it for what its worth, but Demps would run past any player on this or any other Broncos team.

UberBroncoMan
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Holy **** is he fast.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82451&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

40 Low: 4.18 40 Time: 4.26 40 High: 4.38

I'd say he's definitely worth a LOOK for return duty, but I don't know if we'd want to give him an active roster spot unless he can play ST as well.

Thing is, many other teams are going to be looking at him as well.

NFLBRONCO
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Denver adding speed doesn't seem realistic to me.

Agamemnon
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Of course we should take a look at the guy. But 31 other teams will be taking a look too. That kind of speed is a rare commodity.

Agamemnon
08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Holliday's fastest time was a 10.00 to win the NCAA's years ago

Demps high school time of 10.01 is still a national record.

I am not sure what Demps ran while working with the Olympic team this past summer but his track coach stated that Demps is in the 9.8's now.

Take it for what its worth, but Demps would run past any player on this or any other Broncos team.

Demps would run past 99.9% of the players in the league.

Taco John
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
The current depth chart lists Decker and SQ Thompson as PR 1 & 2.

Lance Ball and Matt Willis are listed as KR 1 & 2.

s0phr0syne
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Denver adding speed doesn't seem realistic to me.

Methwolfe disagrees.

UberBroncoMan
08-14-2012, 12:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bW4X664GRt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DO WANT... NAO!

OBF1
08-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Demps would run past 99.9% of the players in the league.

I am just wondering who is the .01% he would not run by right now. He is 15lbs lighter than his football weight, hence more speed as we speak.

long beach bronco
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I can think of only 3 guys, Chris Rainey, Desean Jackson and Trindon Holliday, and thats it, and speaking of Rainey, we are going to have to deal with him in week 1.

Agamemnon
08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
I am just wondering who is the .01% he would not run by right now. He is 15lbs lighter than his football weight, hence more speed as we speak.

I'm not sure. I don't know how fast every player in the league is. The 0.01% was to make allowance for other track runners playing in the NFL. There always are a few.

Beantown Bronco
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Chris Johnson.....maybe

Tombstone RJ
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd love it if the Broncos could bring this guy in.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
I'd love it if the Broncos could bring this guy in.

****. Yes.

Tombstone RJ
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
speed kills... if the Broncos got this guy he'd be an instant upgrade on special teams and a nice speed RB.

Heyneck
08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I wanted this guy all along until he stated that he would bypass the draft for the Olympics. It would be great if we could get him!!! But now it appears the Bucs are involved hardcore... doubt we beat them out for his services. (Would play for his home state)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/report-bucs-seriously-interested-in-jeff-demps/

OBF1
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Malik Jackson..... That is a 4th, 4th and 5th round draft pick

Or "waste" a pick on Jeff Demps? I would have burned a 4-5-6 or 7th on the rights to Demps. Bad decision maybe, but we sure could have used this kid in camp.

Heyneck
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Malik Jackson..... That is a 4th, 4th and 5th round draft pick

Or "waste" a pick on Jeff Demps? I would have burned a 4-5-6 or 7th on the rights to Demps. Bad decision maybe, but we sure could have used this kid in camp.

He took himself out of football. Nothing we or any other franchise could do. This ain't baseball.

cutthemdown
08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
We could use the speed on ST for sure. I say give him a look.

Irish Stout
08-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Someone asked on the profootballtalk link, but I am curious too. How does this work in the current CBA since he skipped the draft? If anyone can do this out of college and become a FA, I do not know why the best of the best wouldn't skip the draft (declare not playing football for a couple months) then negotiate with their preferred team. They'd avoid being drafted by some ****ty franchise and would be able to negotiate FA money instead of the restrictions on those taken in the draft.

There has to be some sort of waiver system or rules in place on how this kid gets on his new team.

Man-Goblin
08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I still have no idea why they don't give Knowshon a shot at PR. Say what you will about him, but he is money in the open field.

Heyneck
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I still have no idea why they don't give Knowshon a shot at PR. Say what you will about him, but he is money in the open field.

no speed...

GreatBronco16
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Someone asked on the profootballtalk link, but I am curious too. How does this work in the current CBA since he skipped the draft? If anyone can do this out of college and become a FA, I do not know why the best of the best wouldn't skip the draft (declare not playing football for a couple months) then negotiate with their preferred team. They'd avoid being drafted by some ****ty franchise and would be able to negotiate FA money instead of the restrictions on those taken in the draft.

There has to be some sort of waiver system or rules in place on how this kid gets on his new team.

Interesting. Can someone elaborate on this perhaps?

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Holy **** is he fast.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82451&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

40 Low: 4.18 40 Time: 4.26 40 High: 4.38

I'd say he's definitely worth a LOOK for return duty, but I don't know if we'd want to give him an active roster spot unless he can play ST as well.

Thing is, many other teams are going to be looking at him as well.
Many other teams don't have Peyton Manning. If Peyton were to on behalf of the team, call him up and say, "hey man, your speed would be a real asset to this offense." The likelihood of Demps padsing on that opportunity is highly doubtful

Also if he came here that is probably the end of KnoShow

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

I think it comes down to money. Isn't there a limit on the amount an UDFA is eligible to make?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM

I loled

Dr. Broncenstein
08-14-2012, 02:49 PM
speed kills... if the Broncos got this guy he'd be an instant upgrade on special teams and a nice speed RB.

We don't need speed. Have meth.

OBF1
08-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Many other teams don't have Peyton Manning. If Peyton were to on behalf of the team, call him up and say, "hey man, your speed would be a real asset to this offense." The likelihood of Demps padsing on that opportunity is highly doubtful

Demps for Knowshon..... Do I even need to reply? I will personally hold the door open for Knowshon and tell him thanks on the way out of town.

UberBroncoMan
08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Personally I'd go McGahee, Hillman, Knowshon, Demps. That's two burners and 3 people who can catch and run.

Lance Ball is nothing but an average RB. He's also 27 to Moreno's 25. I can't imagine Ball ever being anything more than that. I want to see Knowshon in a real offense. Also, don't forget that he actually was doing pretty good last year after he lost his job to McGahee. He was tearing the Chiefs up until he got hurt.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd dump Moreno for Daffy Duck.

Heyneck
08-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Nope... Demps would actually kick out Syd. KM is safe until Hillman can prove he can get on the field.

Ziggy
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Nope... Demps would actually kick out Syd. KM is safe until Hillman can prove he can get on the field.

I think that Leonhard will kick out Syd when he comes back anyways. His days are numbered. Matthew Willis is also a viable option at returner.

razorwire77
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM

http://www.gifflix.com/files/a67bf37cc3fd.gif

oubronco
08-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I would love it if they could get Demps!!

So have they stated who's trying to get him yet

Bronco Yoda
08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/netizen/Bronco%20Avs/tumblr_m8r7p8l9vF1qgqsks1.gif

Heyneck
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I think that Leonhard will kick out Syd when he comes back anyways. His days are numbered. Matthew Willis is also a viable option at returner.

I got this feeling that either Lenhard or Adams wont make the final cut. My money is on Lenhard. He sticks only if Carter isn't ready for the start of the season. Willis is also a good candidate to kick out in favor of Demps.

errand
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah he could be something special...or he could be the next Renaldo Nehemiah, or Jimmy Hines...

Broncobiv
08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
28.8 per return in the SEC is impressive. Elite speed is something this team could always use more of.

28.8 yards per return in the SEC translates to around 35 per return in the NFL due to the talent level of the SEC being so much higher than the pros.

errand
08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
28.8 yards per return in the SEC translates to around 35 per return in the NFL due to the talent level of the SEC being so much higher than the pros.

Yeah just like 66.4% completion translates to 47.3% in the NFL......

Tombstone RJ
08-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Demps probably got out of being drafted because he went to the olympics. He also has a medal to prove it. I'm sure if a college player has a legit excuse to not be drafted via the college draft, like this exceptional case, it's probably ok.

DBroncos4life
08-14-2012, 06:41 PM

LOL That is even more impressive seeing how college was kicking off from the 30 while the NFL was kicking off from the 35.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/59608/ncaa-decides-to-change-kickoff-rules

broncosteven
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Sounds like this kid would be a Raider if Al Davis was still alive.

barryr
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I'd give him a shot. Great speed, could be a great kick returner who can take it the distance and be a weapon in the passing game too at RB.

razorwire77
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Averaging almost 30 yards per return at the highest levels of college football is pretty damn impressive. This is kid could be deadly on reverses, bubble screens and draws.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
If I were the Broncos, I'd tell Jeff Demps both return jobs are his to lose if he signs with Denver....and in all reality, they would be.

Having an electric return man with speed to burn would be a huge asset to a team that could use an infusion of speed and a player capable of taking it the distance every time he touches the ball.

It's the kind of low risk/high reward signing that could really pay off.

I don't like any of our options in the return game right now outside of Syd'Quan Thompson....and he's coming off a major injury and isn't a sure thing by any means.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Im always up for more team speed.

bronco militia
08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

It's just like when elway or bo jackson say they are going to play baseball and an nfl team drafts them anyways. The league will only allow that team to negotiate with that player. Once the draft is is complete, all remaining players that were eligible for the draftare free to negotiate with any team

Beantown Bronco
08-15-2012, 05:41 AM

The rookie salary cap.

The way it's currently structured would ensure that he'd get VERY little money. Teams get just enough "rookie money" to ensure that they can sign whatever draft picks they're slotted for, with enough left over to sign a handful of undrafted FAs with minimal bonuses and at near league minimum annual salaries. I've never heard of an undrafted FA getting anywhere near $1 mil guaranteed up front, much less the money they'd be guaranteed at the top of the first round. Good luck getting someone to sacrifice $20+ mil of guaranteed money to simply have a shot at training camp for a team they'd prefer to play with. If they ever got hurt or simply busted out, they'd be out of the league and broke from day one....as opposed to those guys drafted in round one who stick around for a few years cashing all those checks even if they suck, simply because the team invested so much in them up front, they essentially have to.

Beantown Bronco
08-15-2012, 05:53 AM
In support of what I posted above:

If money is any indication, the most coveted of the Broncos' undrafted rookies is linebacker Steven Johnson. The former Kansas Jayhawk received a $12,000 signing bonus, highest among the 13 undrafted rookies the Broncos acquired after the April 26-28 draft. Other undrafted players who received decent signing bonuses were cornerback Coryell Judie, defensive end Jamie Blatnik and linebacker Jerry Franklin, who each received $10,000. Duke Ihenacho, a safety, signed for $8,500.
Then again, money is not always an indicator. The only undrafted rookie who made the Broncos' 53-man active roster last year was cornerback Chris Harris, who received a relatively small signing bonus of $2,000.

Teams used to be able to sign undrafted free agents for up to $20,000 but the dollar pool for such players shrunk considerably with the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement.

Each team now has a total of $76,585 to sign undrafted rookies.

Read more: Broncos sign Steven Johnson, undrafted LB from Kansas, with $12,000 bonus - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20616913/undrafted-linebacker-from-kansas-signs-denver-broncos-12#ixzz23cQg3Pab) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20616913/undrafted-linebacker-from-kansas-signs-denver-broncos-12#ixzz23cQg3Pab
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

primetime714
08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
He's worth a look, but he doesn't really have any experience returning punts (except for 2 his freshmen year). It doesn't mean he couldn't do it, but its not as easy as you think for a kick off guy to pick up. Also when you consider where the Broncos play their home games the kick off return guy is not that important. The Broncos need a good punt returner. And honestly the punt returner's first job is not to mess up, big plays are a bonus. If Demps can prove reliable in that role his big play ability could be a huge asset. As a kick off returner only, not sure he is worth a roster spot.

bronco militia
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6PQ09oTu-4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6PQ09oTu-4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

BroncoBeavis
08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Averaging almost 30 yards per return at the highest levels of college football is pretty damn impressive. This is kid could be deadly on reverses, bubble screens and draws.

Good post right up until I read "bubble screens"

Now I'm angry and I'm not even sure why.

razorwire77
08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Good post right up until I read "bubble screens"

Now I'm angry and I'm not even sure why.

http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/joshmcdaniels4.jpg

Bronco Yoda
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
In support of what I posted above:

If money is any indication, the most coveted of the Broncos' undrafted rookies is linebacker Steven Johnson. The former Kansas Jayhawk received a $12,000 signing bonus, highest among the 13 undrafted rookies the Broncos acquired after the April 26-28 draft. Other undrafted players who received decent signing bonuses were cornerback Coryell Judie, defensive end Jamie Blatnik and linebacker Jerry Franklin, who each received $10,000. Duke Ihenacho, a safety, signed for $8,500.
Then again, money is not always an indicator. The only undrafted rookie who made the Broncos' 53-man active roster last year was cornerback Chris Harris, who received a relatively small signing bonus of $2,000.

Teams used to be able to sign undrafted free agents for up to $20,000 but the dollar pool for such players shrunk considerably with the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement.

Each team now has a total of $76,585 to sign undrafted rookies.

Read more: Broncos sign Steven Johnson, undrafted LB from Kansas, with $12,000 bonus - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20616913/undrafted-linebacker-from-kansas-signs-denver-broncos-12#ixzz23cQg3Pab) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20616913/undrafted-linebacker-from-kansas-signs-denver-broncos-12#ixzz23cQg3Pab
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Perhaps a large McMansion with a Ferrari parked in the garage for the rent of one dollar a season from a mysterious landlord could sweeten the deal. (what could go wrong) :P

BroncoBen
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Of course we should take a look at the guy. But 31 other teams will be taking a look too. That kind of speed is a rare commodity.

And since he is a 'free agent' he can sign wherever he wants to.. this will be interesting to see if he goes with the 'Big' money or signs with a team that has a shot to win a SuperBowl.

Beantown Bronco
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
And since he is a 'free agent' he can sign wherever he wants to.. this will be interesting to see if he goes with the 'Big' money or signs with a team that has a shot to win a SuperBowl.

Considering the $76,585 cap on undrafted FAs, I don't think he'll have a real shot at any "big" money any time soon.