PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Hell - Official Release

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OI0CUysrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well guys, the book officially releases today. Love me or hate me and whether or not you have ANY interest in the book, please take a minute to read the following because its a rare moment of sincerity from me and, in my opinion, extremely important to Americans across the nation:

Why? Because this has a greater purpose… Because this isn’t just a memoir book with MY life stories in it. It’s a shared message for people who deserve to have their story told. A chance for people to take a moment and gain more perspective on what some choose to sacrifice for their and our great nation’s behalf. Instead of whining about priorities, it’s a chance to take recognition and say, “You gave a career to the Kardashians for a sex-tape, but how many of you even know the name Dakota Meyer?” Instead of second-by-second updates of the Twilight split, that’s the real story people should know. One with substance, sacrifice, and unimaginable heights of heroism. Here’s a guy who asked the Oval Office staff to call back on his lunch break because he was busy working when they called to inform him he was receiving our nation’s highest honor, the Medal of Honor. Even more than the message, we have the opportunity to make a real difference for people who need it the most. One interview and book at a time, we’re raising money and awareness for the Children of Fallen Patriots and I’d be hard pressed to imagine a more purposeful cause.
(more at http://patrickturley.org/)

Big thanks to the OM in supporting and playing a good role in the book selling out before it even officially released. That's something I'm extremely proud of. And if you aren’t interested, that’s fine. But at least consider the message and looking into helping the Children of Fallen Patriots. Let’s move deeper into an election year with a more prioritized nation.

There are purchase links all over the right hand side of my website and it's now in bookstores everywhere.

Links to a few completed interviews:

Action News - TV appearance
http://www.fox30jax.com/content/topstories/story/marines-military-boot-camp/BPyz0LkOuECb7QneTviGlA.cspx#.UCkFGMsr1Oo.facebook

Fox News with Brian Kilmeade
http://radio.foxnews.com/2012/08/10/patrick-turley-on-his-service-in-the-marine-corps/

Jake Pentland Show (Aug 11 in the On Demand tab) http://www.unscriptedradio.com/listen/

If you firmly share my message, then please help spread the word through social media or carrying the book around, but really, thanks again to everyone for a minute of your time regardless of what you take away from this.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/Towner.jpg

Mediator12
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Just purchased it. Look forward to reading it.

ColoradoDarin
08-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Amazon says that UPS will be dropping off my copy tomorrow :)

SonOfLe-loLang
08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Purchased to the Kindle....congrats bud

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

Let me emphasize again that I don't mind if you don't get it or promote it, but please read that message and take a moment to reflect on it.

Thanks.

bfoflcommish
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
was going to buy nook version but then decided to to get the real thing yesterday when it was close to sold out. look forward to reading it

SonOfLe-loLang
08-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Let me emphasize again that I don't mind if you don't get it or promote it, but please read that message and take a moment to reflect on it.

Thanks.

haha no **** that, we're a community and spend way too much time with each other (if only virtually), if you can afford the book, we should support our own.

yerner
08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
if i learn to read i'll buy it. actually, ill do it anyway.

Bacchus
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Congrats Rev that is awesome. What is the title of your next book? Come on now man you're a friggin' author!!!

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I ordered one on Amazon last week and am looking forward to reading it.

GreatBronco16
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Patrick, I'm going to purchase this book next week hopefully if my local Books A Million has it. If not, I'll get it either way. I served in the Army for 4 years from 93-97 so I can't wait to read what you have to say in your book. I'm going to PM you a request though.

Dukes
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Just picked it up from Barnes & Noble.

McDman
08-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks.

I'll be getting it soon. Congrats.

Victor
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Congratulations on getting this published!!! That is a huge accomplishment. Well done.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Ill get to the rest of you guys when I get home. Finishing up at gym now.

Just picked it up from Barnes & Noble.

Where was it? Did it have its own display, hidden in back or in between both?

Dukes
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Ugh, I had to ask someone who worked there where it was..... I tried finding it but had no luck.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Ugh, I had to ask someone who worked there where it was..... I tried finding it but had no luck.

Ack. Sucks.

The one here has a display and I've heard the Oceanside and a fewother Cali ones do so I was hoping they all did.

Oh well. Thanks.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Congrats Rev that is awesome. What is the title of your next book? Come on now man you're a friggin' author!!!

More than likely the NEXT one will be a book called "Heaven's Requiem" comprised of two different novellas: "The Book of Lucifer: Lord of the Morning" and "The Book of Asher: Rise of the Avatar"

But I also have a rotating perspective mystery I'm finishing up called "Of Blood and Money" so that MAY get signed first.

We'll see... quite frankly I'm trying to push this one for the charity before I worry about any of those.

GreatBronco16
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM

When I go next week, I'll try to remember getting some pics so you can see how it was displayed here.

cutthemdown
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Congratulations and very nice little intro read. Thank you for sharing.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
When I go next week, I'll try to remember getting some pics so you can see how it was displayed here.

Maybe you shouldn't.

Unless they've removed EVERY other book from the store, I'm going to be disappointed haha.

Taco John
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm looking forward to the MethWolfe series of books from you.

MethWolfe: A Dance With the Ugly Stick

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm looking forward to the MethWolfe series of books from you.

MethWolfe: A Dance With the Ugly Stick

Goldmine. Will give you 10%.

Taco John
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Goldmine. Will give you 10%.

I demand a byline. I'll write from the perspective of Reek. I haven't quite figured out the angle, but I think you'll agree that I've given myself a broad palette to work from here.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Btw guys, if you REALLY wanna help, post one of the following to your social media platform (depending on the audience. A is vulgar, B is emotional)

A:
"You're friggin' nasty, Bequet. Why didn't your mother stop feeding your fat, ugly ass?"
"This recruit's mother is dead, sir!"
Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant McFadden paused and gave him a nod. He turned to leave, but then looked back at Bequet. "So that's why she barely moved when I ****ed her."

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Hell-T...patrick+turley (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Hell-Three-Months-Marine/dp/1933909218/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1344445891&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=patrick+turley)

Or in book stores everywhere

B:

For the past few years, I had become emotionless, never letting my own feelings touch me or cloud my thinking. As I crossed the room, in what seemed like slow motion, with my family sobbing violently behind me at the vision of my dead father, the dam broke. I found myself in the corner, sunken down to my knees, and for the first time in years, tears streamed uninhibited down my face. It wasn't the sight of my father or anything about the environment that brought on my hysteria. It was reality. It was knowing, now, he was gone. It was accepting that life, as I knew it, was over... forever.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/welc...=9781933909219 (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/welcome-to-hell-patrick-turley/1110916840?ean=9781933909219)

Or in book stores everywhere

Taco John
08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Curious if you've got an audiobook in the works... You've got the voice for it.

SoCalBronco
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Great job, Rev. I am going to purchase one. Perhaps I can somehow get it signed as well.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Curious if you've got an audiobook in the works... You've got the voice for it.

It's coming when someone offers a good enough price for the rights, but I highly doubt I'll be the one recording it.

Great job, Rev. I am going to purchase one. Perhaps I can somehow get it signed as well.

Of course, Mike. PM me when you get it and I'll get you an address or let you know when I'm in town (might be in SoCal for promotional stuff)

Dukes
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Jesus dude, barely through the first chapter and you've brought back so many memories I had forgotten. "Ten, nine, eight, seven....." HAHAHAHAHA

broncosteven
08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Pat, I just sent you a message in Facebook.

Looking forward to reading it.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Jesus dude, barely through the first chapter and you've brought back so many memories I had forgotten. "Ten, nine, eight, seven....." HAHAHAHAHA

My main goals are:

1. The Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation
2. Provide vets with an accurate and honest nostalgia book
3. Give the public a little more perspective on what is sacrificed on their behalf

Glad I'm getting #2 with you so quickly bud!

Pat, I just sent you a message in Facebook.

Looking forward to reading it.

I wanna answer this here so others see it too:

I will absolutely give any Maner that gets this an address to send the book to for me to personalize and sign. You guys deserve that for sure (My only disclaimer: unless I ****ing hate you and you'll know it but there's really only like 3 of you). I WILL unfortunately need you to cover return postage though as it's going to be good volume of books.

broncosteven
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I just ordered a copy of Welcome to Hell and Promises to Keep.

What a week for OM Authors!

Vegas_Bronco
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
good to see your hard work going to an excellent cause....thank you for choosing to do this and seeing it through!

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
good to see your hard work going to an excellent cause....thank you for choosing to do this and seeing it through!

Its hands down the most rewarding part of the process, so nothing to thank me for, bud.

The other coolest part? Having the 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps personally thank ME for MY service and tell me he loves my book enough to stick his neck out there and put his quote on the back cover.

That was ****ing amazing.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I got my book in the mail today and am going to crack it open in a few.

I didn't realize it was the book at first, the package it arrived in was big enough to fit a Marine in.

I also posted the link to buy the book on my website, 'The South Stands'.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Its hands down the most rewarding part of the process, so nothing to thank me for, bud.

The other coolest part? Having the 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps personally thank ME for MY service and tell me he loves my book enough to stick his neck out there and put his quote on the back cover.

That was ****ing amazing.

I don't really pay attention to military rankings all that closely....is the Commandant of the Marine Corps basically the head honcho of the Marines?

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I got my book in the mail today and am going to crack it open in a few.

I didn't realize it was the book at first, the package it arrived in was big enough to fit a Marine in.

I also posted the link to buy the book on my website, 'The South Stands'.

Yeah its not a small book... (big in size not in too many pages). Thanks buddy. Appreciate that and hope you enjoy it.

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't really pay attention to military rankings all that closely....is the Commandant of the Marine Corps basically the head honcho of the Marines?

Yeah, right under Sec Navy, Sec Def and the President himself.

Flip to the back of your book and he's the first one.

The other 2 quotes are also prior service Marines: Actor/Writer Jim Beaver and Pulitzer Prize, Academy and Tony Award winning writer John Patrick Shanley.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah its not a small book... (big in size not in too many pages). Thanks buddy. Appreciate that and hope you enjoy it.

No....I mean one could have fit 30 copies in the package.

It wasn't a big deal, I just thought it was funny because I had no idea what was in it when I first saw it and would have never guessed it was a book until I lifted it and saw the Amazon sticker.

The book itself is a good size for reading, I don't like teeny paperback books.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm proud of you man, that is a very cool accomplishment and something you should take great pride in.

A lot of people want to write a book and never do and a lot of people then want to get one published and are never able to.

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2012, 06:00 AM
I read 60 pages of the book before I went to bed last night.

You've done an excellent job of putting someone who has never been to a Marine boot camp in Marine boot camp and giving them a very good idea of what it's like.

Ratboy
08-15-2012, 06:29 AM
I'll have to check it out. I want to see the differences from Air Force Basic Training and Marine Boot Camp.

I posted the amazon link on our local classifieds website. Hopefully the ad will help you out.

Ratboy
08-15-2012, 06:32 AM
I may have to write my own book, "Welcome to Summer Camp! 6 and a half weeks of Air Force Basic Military Training"

bronco militia
08-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I may have to write my own book, "Welcome to Summer Camp! 6 and a half weeks of Air Force Basic Military Training"

LMAO! I have some great ironing stories to share!

Dukes
08-15-2012, 07:54 AM

Club Med

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 08:37 AM
I read 60 pages of the book before I went to bed last night.

You've done an excellent job of putting someone who has never been to a Marine boot camp in Marine boot camp and giving them a very good idea of what it's like.

Thanks man. That's the purpose... they even simplified it a bit in the last edit to keep the focus on that purpose which I wasn't too pleased with.

Have you noticed the occasional extra period? Some of my time lapse line breaks were removed so you have gotten confused by any parts?

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll have to check it out. I want to see the differences from Air Force Basic Training and Marine Boot Camp.

I posted the amazon link on our local classifieds website. Hopefully the ad will help you out.

Well, obviously it's not as rough as the Air Force's, but we try.

bronco militia
08-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Well, obviously it's not as rough as the Air Force's, but we try.

they added 6 more weeks in 1992 or 1993. probably just more marching and ironing

ZZZ...

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks man. That's the purpose... they even simplified it a bit in the last edit to keep the focus on that purpose which I wasn't too pleased with.

Have you noticed the occasional extra period? Some of my time lapse line breaks were removed so you have gotten confused by any parts?

I haven't gotten confused by any parts so far....I'll let you know if I do.

Stagger Lee
08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Just picked up a copy at the local Barnes and Noble. Looking forward to starting it tonight.

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Just picked up a copy at the local Barnes and Noble. Looking forward to starting it tonight.

Appreciate it bud. Keep me posted on your thoughts.

Also, did you happen to see how many copies they had in stock?

Stagger Lee
08-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Appreciate it bud. Keep me posted on your thoughts.

Also, did you happen to see how many copies they had in stock?

No problem. They had 2 in stock, and I purchased one. It wasn't hard to find, they had it fairly prominently displayed--cover forward--in the military section.

Stagger Lee
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
This is a Barnes and Noble in a fairly small city on the eastern shore of Maryland, so its not a huge store by any means.

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 12:58 PM
No problem. They had 2 in stock, and I purchased one. It wasn't hard to find, they had it fairly prominently displayed--cover forward--in the military section.

This is a Barnes and Noble in a fairly small city on the eastern shore of Maryland, so its not a huge store by any means.

Okay thanks man!

Binkythefrog
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Congratulations on the book release. From what I've read book publishing is an extremely difficult feat - you read stories all the time about accomplished authors who had to try 10-15 times to get their book published. It is an impressive feat to get yours out there!

Dukes
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Rep for using a Burt reference in the book. I'm not surprised you squeezed that in. Hilarious!

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Rep for using a Burt reference in the book. I'm not surprised you squeezed that in. Hilarious!

Hahahaha

I forgot I put the Bertstare in!

Halfway through eh?

Dukes
08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Hahahaha

I forgot I put the Bertstare in!

Halfway through eh?

Yeah, not too bad while wrestling two kids.

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, not too bad while wrestling two kids.

Hurry up. I'm anxious to see what another one of "my era" Marines thinks after finishing but I leave the country in like 30 hours

Dukes
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Hurry up. I'm anxious to see what another one of "my era" Marines thinks after finishing but I leave the country in like 30 hours

There isn't wifi outside this country?

TheReverend
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
There isn't wifi outside this country?

I'll be here with my gf:

http://www.theamazingholiday.com/

The internet will be the furthest thing from my mind.

Dukes
08-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I'll be here with my gf:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5117/boratp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/boratp.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

SouthStndJunkie
08-16-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm over 150 pages into the book and it's an excellent read.

I'm sure I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Taco John
08-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Got my copy in the mail today. Planning on reading it on my plane ride.

TheReverend
08-16-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm over 150 pages into the book and it's an excellent read.

I'm sure I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Really glad you're enjoying it. Some good stuff left to go :)

p7superfly
08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Props to getting it this far buddy. Now enjoy the ride.

I want to grab a hard bound - if I try to read a whole book on my big phone, I will die.

Does this mean we should expect less funny tweets? Your exchanges with celebs could be an idea for a third or fourth book.

TheReverend
08-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Props to getting it this far buddy. Now enjoy the ride.

I want to grab a hard bound - if I try to read a whole book on my big phone, I will die.

Does this mean we should expect less funny tweets? Your exchanges with celebs could be an idea for a third or fourth book.

Nonsense!

broncosteven
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll be here with my gf:

Your going to Houston to see Mission Control and Gene Kranz's office? I didn't follow the link because it said the amazing holiday and this is the only one I could think of.

ColoradoDarin
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't know if you're gone yet, but have a great trip. The book is amazing - I had to force myself to put it down after reading 104 pages (neglecting the kids and all...), but I'm going finish it tomorrow.

TheReverend
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Don't know if you're gone yet, but have a great trip. The book is amazing - I had to force myself to put it down after reading 104 pages (neglecting the kids and all...), but I'm going finish it tomorrow.

Not yet, not yet. We head out early tomorrow AM and fly from Jax to Miami and then sit there for 5 hours waiting for our flight to Grenada, so I'll be able to check in from there too, I bet.

And really happy to hear that you're enjoying it so much man.

TheReverend
08-16-2012, 08:02 PM
If you guys have a free minute, please review it on Amazon when you're finished.

SouthStndJunkie
08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
If you guys have a free minute, please review it on Amazon when you're finished.

Will do.

SouthStndJunkie
08-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Left a review on Amazon.com for the book.

Reviewer name: HAB in Ohio.

TheReverend
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Left a review on Amazon.com for the book.

Reviewer name: HAB in Ohio.

Thanks buddy. Enjoyed reading your review and I'm really glad you liked it.

In Miami having some drinks while we wait for our Grenada flight.

24champ
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Looked for it at the bookstore at the airport last night and couldn't find it.

TheReverend
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Looked for it at the bookstore at the airport last night and couldn't find it.

Yeah airport bookstores usually take more tenure to crack. I'd expect to hit them next year if things keep going this well though

TheReverend
08-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Best. Vacation. Ever.

Also, thanks to some great PMs that I came home to. Really appreciate it and everyone of you that enjoys it THAT much and takes that much away from it makes the entire frustrating process worth it!

Stagger Lee
08-28-2012, 06:53 AM
It was an excellent read Rev. Props to you.

TheReverend
08-28-2012, 08:36 AM
It was an excellent read Rev. Props to you.

Thanks bud. All the support is greatly appreciated.

Here's a write-up I did for the Camp Pendleton Patch:

http://camppendleton.patch.com/articles/author-cherish-your-time-in-the-marine-corps-welcome-to-hell-three-and-a-half-months-of-marine-corps-boot-camp

And here's the books latest review (female critic, so its a fresh perspective on the book):

http://katebrauning.com/2012/08/25/review-welcome-to-hell/

Stagger Lee
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I just left a review on Amazon.

TheReverend
09-06-2012, 07:19 AM
I just left a review on Amazon.

Thanks man! Greatly appreciated.

On more general topic notes, I shot another recorded TV appearance that should come off very well. I'll update when the time comes :)

Still damn near stuck in a holding pattern as I'm waiting for some more BIG news to drop.

Don't think I had linked this one either:

http://camppendleton.patch.com/articles/author-cherish-your-time-in-the-marine-corps-welcome-to-hell-three-and-a-half-months-of-marine-corps-boot-camp

TheReverend
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
"My name is _________ and I am the newly selected Executive Director at Children of Fallen Patriots. I am recently retired after 26 years of service in the Army - 10 enlisted and 16 commissioned - as a Special Forces medic and Infantry officer with 2 company commands in combat with the 101st.

I wanted to say thanks for all that you are doing for the Foundation and our kids. I have been following the email trails between Tabitha and you - beyond having the opportunity to continue serving, the Foundation's mission profoundly resonates with me every night when I tuck in my 3 daughters and contemplate my incredible good fortune and the sacrifices of thousands of our comrades.

I also wanted to invite you as our guest to our 10 NOV Greenwich Event which will feature Dave Petraeus as our keynote speaker and include grantees, active duty military personnel, and many citizens who serve our military through the Foundation.

I have included Cea on this email and she can coordinate the details with you.

I hope to see you in November,"

--------------------------

Bump because receiving an email like that gets me fired up to work harder.