PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rumors: Colt McCoy to the Denver Broncos?

Bronco Rob
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
NFL Rumors: Colt McCoy to the Denver Broncos?

August 12, 2012 08:20 PM EDT

Colt McCoy just got demoted in Cleveland and the Broncos are looking for a backup to Peyton Manning.

The Broncos are now realizing that the quarterbacks they have to backup Manning in Caleb Hanie and Brock Osweiler just won't be enough to get the job done if Manning is out for a few games. Hanie, who played last season with the Bears, was absolutely terrible as a starter when he replaced the injured Jay Cutler. He went 0-4 in his starts and threw more interceptions than touchdowns. Osweiler, while he is a promising rookie, is far too raw to even play in his rookie year.

So now the Broncos are in a predicament and according to one source, are looking for a viable backup quarterback to Peyton Manning. The Broncos currently have three others quarterbacks outside of Manning and that's Hanie, Osweiler and Adam Weber. Enter Colt McCoy. The Browns recently named Brandon Weeden as their starting QB which means McCoy will take the backseat.

Even though he would still be the backup in Denver, the source suggests that McCoy would at least be happier to be out of Cleveland to say the least. It's clear he's not happy with the current situation and could see some playing time in Denver if Peyton Manning takes a hit or the Broncos decide to play him safe week by week.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981540042

tsiguy96
08-12-2012, 09:32 PM
no way

DBroncos4life
08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Good god no, I would rather have Jimmy Clausen if we have to get someone.

orange crusher
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Better than Hanie I guess but I wouldn't want them to give up very much.

baja
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
What about that kid Tebow, oh never mind...

Broncojef
08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Just cut Hanie and we are set. There is no plan B.

Nwp-Apap
08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Lol yeah right.

RunSilentRunDeep
08-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Dumb poster provides dumb link.

Tombstone RJ
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
pure bs. Also, Hanie wasn't that damn bad!!!!!! Good lord people, get off Hanie's freaking jock already.

theAPAOps5
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
This is stupid. Better to go with Brock than noodle arm McCoy.

ozomulsion
08-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Almost as good as Matt Moore to Denver? He's now battling for the starting job in Miami after Garard had his knee scoped.

bowtown
08-12-2012, 10:07 PM
pure bs. Also, Hanie wasn't that damn bad!!!!!! Good lord people, get off Hanie's freaking jock already.

I think you meant the opposite of what that phrase means.

razorwire77
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
He's better than Hanie. McCoy is basically a less accurate Brian Griese. Not exactly a field general, but a guy that can game manage through a 3 or 4 game stretch should Manning get hurt. Brock looks good so far, but the kid needs a redshirt year. It's not like he had a ton of starts in college.

Mogulseeker
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Osweiler can't be any worse than Tebow.

Kaylore
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
So I clicked the link and then clicked their source. Once again, it is based on the musings of some guy. And once again, half the posts in this thread are reacting like it's happening already.

It occurs to me why so many people keep thinking we're looking for a QB. A large portion honestly believes Manning is fragile and is not going to last the season. Mind you, this shows they have no idea about how his neck is stronger than it was before the injury - stronger at that spot than someone who has never had an injury. They just hear "four neck surgeries!" and someone jump to the conclusion that Manning is "one hit away" which is stupid because he was on pace to break Favre's record for starts.

Anyway, because of this flawed logic, you're seeing a lot of people pretend that the Broncos are worried about Manning's backup. As a result you get stupid articles like these where they are hoping they can unload their trash player for draft picks ala Moore and McCoy.

Mogulseeker
08-12-2012, 10:18 PM

Even that little excerpt has grammatical errors galore. Methinks it's an unreliable source.

Hamrob
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
McCoy actually is very accurate...and an extremely hard worker. A great teammate.

However, Haney looked o.k. in game one. I'm not sure I'd panic.

True, the Browns are probably trying to get McCoy out...because he is making their 29yr old boy wonder look bad.

Hamrob
08-12-2012, 10:21 PM
So I clicked the link and then clicked their source. Once again, it is based on the musings of some guy. And once again, half the posts in this thread are reacting like it's happening already.

It occurs to me why so many people keep thinking we're looking for a QB. A large portion honestly believes Manning is fragile and is not going to last the season. Mind you, this shows they have no idea about how his neck is stronger than it was before the injury - stronger at that spot than someone who has never had an injury. They just hear "four neck surgeries!" and someone jump to the conclusion that Manning is "one hit away" which is stupid because he was on pace to break Favre's record for starts.

Anyway, because of this flawed logic, you're seeing a lot of people pretend that the Broncos are worried about Manning's backup. As a result you get stupid articles like these where they are hoping they can unload their trash player for draft picks ala Moore and McCoy.Or, it could be becaue Manning is 36yrs old...and a team that employes a 36yr old QB as their starter would be wise to have a very good backup. Is Haney very good? Maybe..maybe not!

Vegas_Bronco
08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Arent brunell, garcia, pennington or delhomee available? This list cracks me up. Im not serious unless we really are looking at cmcc.

I would love to see us sign an old vet that can help brahozzy develop while mannings busy winning rings

houghtam
08-12-2012, 10:32 PM

Do you mean in the one preseason game? (7-14, 79, 0/0)

Or in the only eleven regular season games he's appeared in? (51-102, 679, 3/10)

Hercules Rockefeller
08-12-2012, 10:35 PM
GTFO, a link to nobody whose "source" is another nobody at Rant Sports. Mods need to take away your thread starting privileges.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
By the way, why is Osweiler "far too raw?" Yet some of these other retreads are just fine.

Tombstone RJ
08-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Or in the only eleven regular season games he's appeared in? (51-102, 679, 3/10)

I'm going by his one and only preseason game he played in Chicago for the Broncos. He started slow but he did ok later on. Fact is Osweiler is the only other QB on the roster that is not going anywhere. Is there a big difference between Hanie and Weber, probably not. But Hanie does more experience.

meh, it really doesn't matter, this team is screwed if Manning goes down.

Archer81
08-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm for this for one reason. Colt MCCoy has a fantastic ass.

That is all.

:Broncos:

Broncobiv
08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Osweiler can't be any worse than Tebow.

What in the world does Tebow have to do with our current QB situation? Did you mean Hanie or Weber?

extralife
08-12-2012, 11:32 PM

but we still signed him after those regular season stats. why would the team even bring him in if all they're going to do is immediately look to replace him?

Broncoman13
08-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Too late at this point. Two weeks ago, maybe. Now, too hard to pick up the playbook and actually get any reps.

Hulamau
08-13-2012, 12:35 AM

Anyway, because of this flawed logic, you're seeing a lot of people pretend that the Broncos are worried about Manning's backup. As a result you get stupid articles like these where they are hoping they can unload their trash player for draft picks ala Moore and McCoy.

Absolutely right Kaylore, Ive had two cervical fusions and my neck is stronger than ever. He is in no more danger of getting hurt than any other QB in the league. .. a lot less actually since he has historically been one of the least sacked or even hit QB in history...

And that fact will very likely only improve here as well with a better overall Oline than he ever had at Indy...

Mogulseeker
08-13-2012, 12:45 AM
What in the world does Tebow have to do with our current QB situation? Did you mean Hanie or Weber?

We won with Tebow.

UberBroncoMan
08-13-2012, 01:17 AM
2012: $540,000, 2013: $575,000

He's pretty cheap. Half the price of the POS vet we currently have.

Bacchus
08-13-2012, 02:16 AM

wow, you're an a-hole

Irish Stout
08-13-2012, 02:27 AM
There is no spoon.

Drek
08-13-2012, 04:24 AM

1. Manning's surgery isn't why he's fragile. Manning playing QB in the NFL is why he's fragile. I don't care if there's a late hit penalty when some 300 pound DT cracks his clavicle, I care about who comes in next. Any player can get hurt any game.

2. Hanie is absolute junk. He's easily the worst backup QB in the NFL today. We saw that last year when he was asked to start and was a worse passer than Tebow minus any ability to run the football.

3. Osweiler is a project. He started basically one season in college and he's having his throwing motion tweaked. It would do him a world of good to redshirt a year before he's even the #2.

These are the reasons why people keep discussing getting a different #2 QB.

Bronco Rob
08-13-2012, 04:39 AM
"Good source, very good source, tells me Broncos not interested in Colt McCoy. " -- @thegarymiller

https://twitter.com/thegarymiller/status/234870330085212161

;)

Steve Sewell
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Haha not reading this **** article. The author made it sound as if once Peyton takes his first hit it will be time to bring the back up in.

Rohirrim
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
GTFO, a link to nobody whose "source" is another nobody at Rant Sports. Mods need to take away your thread starting privileges.

Bingo.

Dedhed
08-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Anyone linked to the interwebz can write for Gather.

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm going by his one and only preseason game he played in Chicago for the Broncos. He started slow but he did ok later on.

To be fair, it seemed to coincide with when the #2 defense ended their day and made way for all the future cell phone salesmen that will never see an NFL field after September 1st.

TonyR
08-13-2012, 08:44 AM
but we still signed him after those regular season stats. why would the team even bring him in if all they're going to do is immediately look to replace him?

^ Exactly. Chances are that Hanie/Osweiler are the backups.

JLesSPE
08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I want to see Weber get the reps against the second string D this week. I'm curious to see if he's good against decent competition.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Probably because of one game, now think about this: How did Hanie perform against the Broncos last year when he had no running game and a terrible offensive line, with no help at TE of WR???????????????????????

PRETTY FUGGEN GOOD IMHO.

The Bears were in the game people.

Lestat
08-13-2012, 09:04 AM
even if this were true, which i sincerely doubt.
why would Elway want a noodle armed QB to run the offense if Manning went down?

they might not want to rush Oz but he looks like the best option for #2 currently.

SaveusElway15
08-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Colt would have to ask Daddy first... (Rose Bowl-BCS Championship)

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
1. Manning's surgery isn't why he's fragile. Manning playing QB in the NFL is why he's fragile. I don't care if there's a late hit penalty when some 300 pound DT cracks his clavicle, I care about who comes in next. Any player can get hurt any game.

2. Hanie is absolute junk. He's easily the worst backup QB in the NFL today. We saw that last year when he was asked to start and was a worse passer than Tebow minus any ability to run the football.

3. Osweiler is a project. He started basically one season in college and he's having his throwing motion tweaked. It would do him a world of good to redshirt a year before he's even the #2.

These are the reasons why people keep discussing getting a different #2 QB.

So your point is essentially that Hanie sucks? Um, have you seen Colt McCoy play football? All he would do is rob reps from Osweiller. And name a team that isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down...

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Probably because of one game, now think about this: How did Hanie perform against the Broncos last year when he had no running game and a terrible offensive line, with no help at TE of WR???????????????????????

PRETTY FUGGEN GOOD IMHO.

The Bears were in the game people.

In the last 10 or so years, no defense in the NFL has made a living making scrub QBs look like Joe Montana more than the Denver Broncos.

gunns
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
So your point is essentially that Hanie sucks? Um, have you seen Colt McCoy play football? All he would do is rob reps from Osweiller. And name a team that isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down...

McCoy also plays behind a good OL so most of his f-ups are his.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
In the last 10 or so years, no defense in the NFL has made a living making scrub QBs look like Joe Montana more than the Denver Broncos.

no offensive line, no TEs, no WR, no running game. You can't get around these facts, sorry.

Listen, people want to crap all over Hanie, maybe because they are butt hurt about Tebow? IMHO, it's pretty unjustified. He's a career back up, nothing more. The Broncos need a career backup guy behind Manning because Osweiler is the future and he's not ready. It's pretty simple math.

Lestat
08-13-2012, 09:46 AM

depends on how the scenarios play out. if the Cards name Kolb the starter then they wouldn't be screwed cause Skelton is better.

the Texans showed last season that they can win without Schaub at the helm, but he was still missed.

none of those players are franchise QB's though. no team can suffer losing a true franchise QB and not be screwed. especially when it's a HOF QB like Manning.

though the Pats have two previous examples.

when Bledsoe went down and they replaced him with Brady.

the Pats when Brady went down and they installed Cassel, Mallett is apparently looking really good and could be the next QB after Brady.

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
no offensive line, no TEs, no WR, no running game. You can't get around these facts, sorry.

Did you see what Brady Quinn did to us in 2008? Same problemes you list above and we made him look like a freaking probowler.

Listen, people want to crap all over Hanie, maybe because they are butt hurt about Tebow? IMHO, it's pretty unjustified. He's a career back up, nothing more. The Broncos need a career backup guy behind Manning because Osweiler is the future and he's not ready. It's pretty simple math.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just pointing out that the Broncos recent track record is not good here. Our defense tends to make "career backups" look like HOFers for some reason. We simply can't stop them, so any argument in Hanie's favor just because of what he did against us last year is meaningless IMO.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Did you see what Brady Quinn did to us in 2008? Same problemes you list above and we made him look like a freaking probowler.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just pointing out that the Broncos recent track record is not good here. Our defense tends to make "career backups" look like HOFers for some reason. We simply can't stop them, so any argument in Hanie's favor just because of what he did against us last year is meaningless IMO.

fair enough, I'm just pointing out that perhaps the Broncos saw something in Hanie that they thought might fit into Denver's plans with Manning.

BroncoMan4ever
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
If Peyton is injured and cant play the season is pretty much over anyway. Might as well see what Osweiler can do. No need for mediocre backups like Hanie, Moore or McCoy

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
If Peyton is injured and cant play the season is pretty much over anyway. Might as well see what Osweiler can do. No need for mediocre backups like Hanie, Moore or McCoy

I disagree, Osweiler had one year of starting in college. You throw him to the wolves in the NFL and it could rattle his confidence so bad that he basically never fully recovers.

If Manning goes down you throw Hanie to the wolves and then when the Broncos have been mathmatically eliminated from playoff contention, maybe, depending on his development, maybe you play him at the very end of the season.

Lestat
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM

it's not really relative to Tebow. it's that they saw how he played with the Bears and in general the back up QB for the Bears has gone on to be craptacular in his next stop as a starter or back up.

we're all invested in plan A. the fear of plan A going down and the team going from potential super bowl contender to playoff also ran is a legit fear.
we know what Hanie is and that's why people would like to see him play well so that we could have some confidence in the potential of the team without Manning.

Captain 'Dre
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM

It's clear he's not happy with the current situation and could see some playing time in Denver if Peyton Manning takes a hit or the Broncos decide to play him safe week by week.

"Play him safe week by week"?!? WTH does this even mean?

baja
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
"Play him safe week by week"?!? WTH does this even mean?

Are you dense? It means Peyton has to where a condom during games.

houghtam
08-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Come on, get off it. You don't have to be a tebonner to realize that Hanie is awful. I hated the choice of bringing Chris Simms in, too, and Simms is a better QB than Hanie is.

There are many of us who feel just as bad about Simms' ability to handle snaps as many people did about Tebow.

Hanie is awful. If anyone is working with the #2's, it needs to be Osweiler. Hanie shouldn't even be on the team. He's a waste of a roster spot.

Hulamau
08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
We won with Tebow.

Which makes me REALLY excited about our prospects with Manning under center... If we can pull off a near miracle like we did last year, considering all the challenges, things are looking up!

lolcopter
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Colt sucks and is not even a good backup option

baja
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Which makes me REALLY excited about our prospects with Manning under center... If we can pull off a near miracle like we did last year, considering all the challenges, things are looking up!

I just hope we haven't used up our luck quote with the season we had last year.

lolcopter
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Moore is actually a decent QB though

Jekyll15Hyde
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
no thank you

Tom A Hawk
08-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Colt McCoy just got demoted in Cleveland and the Broncos are looking for a backup to Peyton Manning.

The Broncos are now realizing that the quarterbacks they have to backup Manning in Caleb Hanie and Brock Osweiler just won't be enough to get the job done if Manning is out for a few games. Hanie, who played last season with the Bears, was absolutely terrible as a starter when he replaced the injured Jay Cutler. He went 0-4 in his starts and threw more interceptions than touchdowns. Osweiler, while he is a promising rookie, is far too raw to even play in his rookie year.

So now the Broncos are in a predicament and according to one source, are looking for a viable backup quarterback to Peyton Manning. The Broncos currently have three others quarterbacks outside of Manning and that's Hanie, Osweiler and Adam Weber. Enter Colt McCoy. The Browns recently named Brandon Weeden as their starting QB which means McCoy will take the backseat.

Even though he would still be the backup in Denver, the source suggests that McCoy would at least be happier to be out of Cleveland to say the least. It's clear he's not happy with the current situation and could see some playing time in Denver if Peyton Manning takes a hit or the Broncos decide to play him safe week by week.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981540042

you don't want any part of him...Quinn II.
I will give you Quinn back and you don't have to give anything in return.

broncocalijohn
08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I want to see Weber get the reps against the second string D this week. I'm curious to see if he's good against decent competition.

I think he has shown promise in the preseason games he has played for the Broncos. I would also like to see him get legit competition. If we ever need a backup to get some game action, the other team isn't going to substitute their top 2 defenses to scrubs because we went to our backup (unless game is blowout of course).

BroncoMan4ever
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I disagree, Osweiler had one year of starting in college. You throw him to the wolves in the NFL and it could rattle his confidence so bad that he basically never fully recovers.

If Manning goes down you throw Hanie to the wolves and then when the Broncos have been mathmatically eliminated from playoff contention, maybe, depending on his development, maybe you play him at the very end of the season.

I would agree with you if the whole team was terrible. This Wouldn't be a David Carr rookie experience where he got so beat up and was the only option for the Texans and shattered his confidence. This team has a good OL a strong running game and plenty of good receiving talent. If necessary this is an environment that would be really rookie QB friendly.

He would have his growing pains but the likelihood of his confidence being shattered is not that high unless he has a Vince Young mentallity

spdirty
08-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Wish I had a bunch of money to invest. I'd love to play the Manning prop bet.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8221417/a-new-crop-bets-2012-nfl-season

HorseHead
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Ditto to several previous posters..if 18 goes down for any stretch of games we're screwed...

Totally okay with throwing the kid in the fire...it's not like we haven't done it before...

Bronco Yoda
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ti3t7MAwaaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mhgaffney
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
What about that kid Tebow, oh never mind...

Agreed.

It was a mistake to release Tebow.

DBroncos4life
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Agreed.

It was a mistake to release Tebow.

True, if Manning goes down we will be punting a ton. We need that protector.

Drek
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM

I have seen McCoy play football. He's not a starting QB but he's got the potential to not get completely exposed in a few weeks of spot starts. Hanie is exposed as a hack from day one. McCoy isn't a threat to take reps from anybody and he's significantly better than Hanie, who's currently taking reps from Osweiler as it is.

Last year the Broncos changed starting QBs and it led to a playoff run. The Rams lost Trent Green in a pre-season game and Kurt Warner stepped up for them. Matt Cassel did an admirable job filling in for Brady over an entire season once upon a time.

Hell, how can any Bronco fan say that when Bubby Brister playing solid football and going 4-0 in '98 was a huge part of that season's success story?

Its hard not to do better than Hanie at #2 QB. You'd think we'd try to improve all aspects of this team, not just sit pat because if Manning is healthy it isn't a big deal.

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I have seen McCoy play football. He's not a starting QB but he's got the potential to not get completely exposed in a few weeks of spot starts. Hanie is exposed as a hack from day one. McCoy isn't a threat to take reps from anybody and he's significantly better than Hanie, who's currently taking reps from Osweiler as it is.

Last year the Broncos changed starting QBs and it led to a playoff run. The Rams lost Trent Green in a pre-season game and Kurt Warner stepped up for them. Matt Cassel did an admirable job filling in for Brady over an entire season once upon a time.

Hell, how can any Bronco fan say that when Bubby Brister playing solid football and going 4-0 in '98 was a huge part of that season's success story?

Its hard not to do better than Hanie at #2 QB. You'd think we'd try to improve all aspects of this team, not just sit pat because if Manning is healthy it isn't a big deal.

You'll get no argument from me on Hanie sucking. It doesn't really matter if you think McCoy is any good or not (he's not, by the way.) What does matter is this story is total garbage citing a dude's opinion as a source. Also, if the Broncos are going to trade for a position, it will be RT, not QB.

Bacchus
08-13-2012, 04:04 PM

What if Peyton goes down for 3 games and you need to win one to make the playoffs? Would you want to leave that iup to Ozweiler to get that game.

Bacchus
08-13-2012, 04:04 PM
How come nobody is talking about Weber? Why is he on the roster if he can't be in this conversation?

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Or, it could be becaue Manning is 36yrs old...and a team that employes a 36yr old QB as their starter would be wise to have a very good backup. Is Haney very good? Maybe..maybe not!

Which would explain us taking a QB in the 2nd round.

Osweiler is our Plan B and I would rather have Osweiler than McCoy.

Rohirrim
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Didn't Weber break every passing record at Minnesota? I doubt McCoy is any better, and maybe not as good.

jerseyboiler120
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Between Osweiller and Weber one of them should be able to handle the fire if they had to play a few games. I liked Colt when he came out and played decent his rookie year, but he dropped off the planet last year. Haven't we learned our lesson taking cleveland's washouts?

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Between Osweiller and Weber one of them should be able to handle the fire if they had to play a few games. I liked Colt when he came out and played decent his rookie year, but he dropped off the planet last year. Haven't we learned our lesson taking cleveland's washouts?

Who honestly believes a generously listed 6'1" QB is going to play at any level in the NFL effectively?

houghtam
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Who honestly believes a generously listed 6'1" QB is going to play at any level in the NFL effectively?

Mike Vick, Doug Flutie and Drew Brees say :wave:

Jetmeck
08-13-2012, 06:00 PM

compared to OZ and Manning he did suck and he sucked last year so I don';t know what he were thinking in the first place,

gyldenlove
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Mccoy was ruined in cleveland like brady quinn was

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Mike Vick, Doug Flutie and Drew Brees say :wave:

For giggles, let's take a look at those three. Three out of the numerous, numerous diminutive QB's that wash out of the league have made careers in the NFL. On those numbers, he's already a long shot, but let's compare:

He's nowhere near as athletic as Vick - so we can definitely rule him out as the next Ron Mexico.

That leaves Brees, who is a modest 6'2" offensive genius who literally practices with his eyes closed, and Flutie; a career backup, CFL phenom and cereal magnate.

Honestly, he's got no shot to be Brees, though I suppose with one of the best QB names in sports, and a decent stint in America's backyard that McCoy could get his own cereal. If he has any kind of career like Flutie, McCoy should count himself lucky...other than having to live in Buffalo.

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Mccoy was ruined in cleveland like brady quinn was

LOL Ah yes. It's never that Cleveland sucks at evaluating talent, it's that the town "ruins" great players.

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
For giggles, let's take a look at those three. Three out of the numerous, numerous diminutive QB's that wash out of the league have made careers in the NFL. On those numbers, he's already a long shot, but let's compare:

He's nowhere near as athletic as Vick - so we can definitely rule him out as the next Ron Mexico.

That leaves Brees, who is a modest 6'2" offensive genius who literally practices with his eyes closed, and Flutie; a career backup, CFL phenom and cereal magnate.

Honestly, he's got no shot to be Brees, though I suppose with one of the best QB names in sports, and a decent stint in America's backyard that McCoy could get his own cereal. If he has any kind of career like Flutie, McCoy should count himself lucky...other than having to live in Buffalo.

REXMAN had a good run until teams started rushing the A gaps and taking away his ability to see downfield. Funny how chucking it up deep doesn't work out as well when you can't see the WR's covered. Plus Hester covered a lot of his mistakes with big timely returns.

houghtam
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Brees is listed at 6'0" on the Saints website.

Flutie may have been a career backup, but he was effective.

Just pointing out that your statement that a quarterback under 6'1" can't be effective is incorrect.

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
REXMAN had a good run until teams started rushing the A gaps and taking away his ability to see downfield. Funny how chucking it up deep doesn't work out as well when you can't see the WR's covered. Plus Hester covered a lot of his mistakes with big timely returns.

Remember that Bears/Cardinals game? That was crazy...

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Remember that Bears/Cardinals game? That was crazy...

Was that the one the D scored, they had a punt return and duh bears gave up like 6 turnovers and still won late?

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Brees is listed at 6'0" on the Saints website.

Flutie may have been a career backup, but he was effective.

Just pointing out that your statement that a quarterback under 6'1" can't be effective is incorrect.

I hate these posts. It shows the opposite. It shows in the last twenty years you found three QB's, one of them is a prodigy on the field, the other a CFL migrant turned NFL backup and the last was physical freak who's quarterbacking skills are still debateable.

But Broncosteven is correct in that Rex Grossman is listed at 6'1" and took his team to the SB. Granted he was riding the best defense and special teams in the NFL, so I would argue there's a caveat there, but I'll spot you four players in the last twenty years have made careers despite being 6'1".

The moral of the story? Unless you are athletically amazing like Vick, a genius like Drew Brees, or have clutch play coming out your ears like Doug Floutie, if you're a sub 6'3" QB, your odds of making any kind of career happen for very long in the NFL are extremely poor.

lolcopter
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Copy McCoy doesn't suck because of his height, he sucks because he has no arm and he's a whiny little pussy

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Was that the one the D scored, they had a punt return and duh bears gave up like 6 turnovers and still won late?

And Matt Leinart got the ball marched them down the field for the game winning field goal and Neil Rackers missed. It was epic. Grossman had like 12 QB rating.

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Copy McCoy doesn't suck because of his height, he sucks because he has no arm and he's a whiny little p***Y

This too.

Also he looks like he's seven years old.

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I hate these posts. It shows the opposite. It shows in the last twenty years you found three QB's, one of them is a prodigy on the field, the other a CFL migrant turned NFL backup and the last was physical freak who's quarterbacking skills are still debateable.

But Broncosteven is correct in that Rex Grossman is listed at 6'1" and took his team to the the SB. Granted he was riding the best defense and special teams in the NFL, so I would argue there's a caveat there, but I'll spot you four players in the last twenty years have made careers despite being 6'1".

The moral of the story? Unless you are athletically amazing like Vick, a genius like Drew Brees, or have clutch play coming out your ears like Doug Floutie, if you're a sub 6'3" QB, your odds of making any kind of career happen for very long in the NFL are extremely poor.

I actually pointed out REXMAN to back you up Kahn. Short QB's are short and can't see over the line. Unless they are practice and film hounds like Brees is they have little chance at making it.

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 06:24 PM
And Matt Leinart got the ball marched them down the field for the game winning field goal and Neil Rackers missed. It was epic. Grossman had like 12 QB rating.

They are who we thought they were!

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 06:26 PM
They are who we thought they were!

Then crown 'em!

houghtam
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM

But Broncosteven is correct in that Rex Grossman is listed at 6'1" and took his team to the the SB. Granted he was riding the best defense and special teams in the NFL, so I would argue there's a caveat there, but I'll spot you four players in the last twenty years have made careers despite being 6'1".

I would be willing to bet that if you took all of the quarterbacks from the past 20 years who were over 6'3" and put them in one group, and took all of the quarterbacks from the past 20 years who were under 6'3" and put them in another group, percentage-wise, the number of quarterbacks who are "effective" (whatever that means) would be roughly the same in both groups.

Once you get to the NFL level, a QB's height ranks waaaaaaay below pretty much every other category.

houghtam
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Oh and btw, I'm just wondering, is this the thread where I'm supposed to be gushing over Russell Wilson (only 5'11") and his performance in the first preseason game??

12-16 124 yds and a TD :strong:

barryr
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd rather have McCoy than Hanie on the roster.

yerner
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM

mccoy is years ahead of osweiler. that is scary.

aka. mccoy, tebow, osweiler, griese, brister...all garbage in 2012. there is no point to argue.

Drek
08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
You'll get no argument from me on Hanie sucking. It doesn't really matter if you think McCoy is any good or not (he's not, by the way.) What does matter is this story is total garbage citing a dude's opinion as a source. Also, if the Broncos are going to trade for a position, it will be RT, not QB.

You were saying that the Broncos didn't have as big a need at #2 QB as some act like they do, I'm just arguing that's not necessarily true.

Our #2 QB right now is probably the worst #2 in the entire NFL. He single handedly lost multiple games when asked to start last season. This FO should be willing to chase down every potentially available upgrade.

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 07:02 PM
You were saying that the Broncos didn't have as big a need at #2 QB as some act like they do, I'm just arguing that's not necessarily true.

Our #2 QB right now is probably the worst #2 in the entire NFL. He single handedly lost multiple games when asked to start last season. This FO should be willing to chase down every potentially available upgrade.

We already have one on the roster. I think it is just symantec's (the other word not Norton) that Osweiler is listed as #3 right now, I bet he moves up before PS is over and plays more.

lonestar
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
without reading the whole thread.. let me say..

If manning goes down our season is toast the O is being designed yet again this year for the QB de jour..

if the guy is down ut the rookie in and let him get the reps he will need to see if he is going to be the QBOTF..

the worst thing that happens we lose a few more games than we would have.. and we get an earlier draft spot.. all the better for next year..

It seems that he has the chops to get it done with a strong running game, and a MUCH better D he may be the guy we have been looking for since Elway retired..

DB-Freak
08-14-2012, 03:52 AM
I'm for this for one reason. Colt MCCoy has a fantastic ass.

That is all.

:Broncos:
Are you the gay one or transgender.

canadianbroncosfan
08-14-2012, 04:05 AM
This article is slightly more reliable than whoever posted a tweet about Matt Moore possibly coming to Denver. So it's at about a 1 instead of 0 on the scale of possibility.

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2012, 05:29 AM
What if Peyton goes down for 3 games and you need to win one to make the playoffs? Would you want to leave that iup to Ozweiler to get that game.

I would feel more comfortable with him than Hanie or Weber. Even if the Moore trade or McCoy trade materialuzed it is really a bit much to expect either of tjem to have learned the offense and.build a rapport with therest of the offense in really limited time.

In a situation like you mention I will choose the best talent and that would be Osweiler

extralife
08-14-2012, 06:14 AM
just symantec's (the other word not Norton

lolcopter
08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
mccoy is years ahead of osweiler. that is scary.

gtfo

TheReverend
08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Arent brunell, garcia, pennington or delhomee available? This list cracks me up. Im not serious unless we really are looking at cmcc.

I would love to see us sign an old vet that can help brahozzy develop while mannings busy winning rings

Yes. If only we could find an old vet that has an unparalleled understanding of the QB position and the game of football in general for Twilight to learn under...

BroncoBeavis
08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
if the guy is down ut the rookie in and let him get the reps he will need to see if he is going to be the QBOTF..

If Manning's done, yes. If he's out for a week or two and we're in the hunt, I'm not sure you do that to the rookie. He won't learn much in that kind of pressure cooker. The team will be playing not to lose vs letting the rookie make mistakes and develop.

Only thing I think it accomplishes is messing with his head. If you start a rookie, especially one with little big time college experience, you need to be ready for him to lose you a few games. At least if you're interested in his long term.

Bronco Rob
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Broncos' Brock Osweiler remains on track to be No. 2 quarterback

Read more: Broncos' Brock Osweiler remains on track to be No. 2 quarterback - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21302154/broncos-brock-osweiler-remains-track-be-no-2#ixzz23X0YFnQ7
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

yerner
08-14-2012, 11:42 AM
gtfo

gfym