PDA

View Full Version : Bengals asked for no Wildcat?

Smilin Assassin
08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
New York Jets fans waited all spring and summer to see Tim Tebow unleashed in the team's new Wildcat offense. They're still waiting.

Head coach Rex Ryan didn't run the Tebow-based Wildcat at all on Friday night against the Cincinnati Bengals and claims the reason was an unusual agreement he made with his opposing coach, Marvin Lewis, before the exhibition game.

Ryan explained that the Bengals coach called him before the game and asked him not to.

The Jets coach has been boasting all summer about how afraid opposing defenses are going to be handling Tebow this season and claims Lewis' plea is just evidence of that fear.

"I know nobody's worried about Wildcat and all that stuff. It's real easy to stop," a sarcastic Ryan said last week. "That's why I got a call at 7 a.m. the day before we played by Marvin not wanting to see the Wildcat. I guess I'm the only guy who thinks it has a place in the NFL... me and every defensive coach in the league."

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/msn/rex_ryan_marvin_lewis_asked_me_not_to_run_the_wild cat/11434393

peacepipe
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
??? how excited were they? the wildcat was only a gimic to be run a few times a game.

TheReverend
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
In b4 double digit page thread with 0 relevance to Broncos football

BroncoBeavis
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
The idea that Rex was going to unveil any of it in a preseason game anyway is pretty funny.

BuckinKaeding
08-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Maybe Marvin Lewis wants to gauge his players based on tried and true football and not a gimmick.

GreatBronco16
08-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe Marvin Lewis wants to gauge his players based on tried and true football and not a gimmick.

It gets used in the NFL by a number of teams every single year. It's not a gimmick anymore.

Dedhed
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I remember a bunch of unspoken agreements between Shanny and opposing coaches during pre-season. I'm sure this goes on all over the league.

razorwire77
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Rex Ryan is a douchebag for going public with this. But, we already knew that about him. My guess is these sort of handshake agreements happen between NFL coaches all the time during preseason. My guess is Lewis wanted to evaluate his 2nd and 3rd team players based on their abilities to read and react to a conventional offense. Running the Wildcat would be akin to running all sorts of exotic blitz packages with 2nd and 3rd string players.

Bacchus
08-12-2012, 12:18 PM
??? how excited were they? the wildcat was only a gimic to be run a few times a game.

They say Wildcat because that is the term used. In reality they will run the spread option Tebow ran last year with the Broncos. We all know he can do that well.

If Sanchez plays well I look for The Jets to go 10-6 and Tebow will have an impact year.

DenverBrit
08-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Rex Ryan is a douchebag for going public with this. But, we already knew that about him. My guess is these sort of handshake agreements happen between NFL coaches all the time during preseason. My guess is Lewis wanted to evaluate his 2nd and 3rd team players based on their abilities to read and react to a conventional offense. Running the Wildcat would be akin to running all sorts of exotic blitz packages with 2nd and 3rd string players.

This!

KipCorrington25
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
And they claim he lost 100lbs this offseason I don't believe it, he's still a fat slob.

Br0nc0Buster
08-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I thought this was like an onion article at first
Is Rex Ryan really bragging about people being scared of the wildcat?

Im sure the Patriots are ****ting their pants over the wildcat right now

baja
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I thought this was like an onion article at first
Is Rex Ryan really bragging about people being scared of the wildcat?

Im sure the Patriots are ****ting their pants over the wildcat right now

That's one team that should be.

peacepipe
08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
It gets used in the NFL by a number of teams every single year. It's not a gimmick anymore.until it becomes used as a standard offense in the nfl,it's a gimic. every team in the league has a reverse in their playbook,doesn't mean it's not a gimick.

rugbythug
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
until it becomes used as a standard offense in the nfl,it's a gimic. every team in the league has a reverse in their playbook,doesn't mean it's not a gimick.

If every team does it it is not a gimmick.

peacepipe
08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
If every team does it it is not a gimmick.doesn't matter,like I said every team utilizes a reverse in their playbook,it's still a gimmick. now if teams started using the wildcat as their base offense then it would stop being a gimmick.

DBroncos4life
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM

So every team runs it?

errand
08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
It gets used in the NFL by a number of teams every single year. It's not a gimmick anymore.

If the run and shoot that was the staple of the Oilers and Lions for several years is considered a gimmick, then so is the Wildcat

2KBack
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM

not really....Everyteam likely has the flea flicker in their playbook too

Dedhed
08-12-2012, 05:40 PM
If the run and shoot that was the staple of the Oilers and Lions for several years is considered a gimmick, then so is the Wildcat

The WCO was once a "gimmick".

baja
08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
The WCO was once a "gimmick".

So was the forward pass..

DBroncos4life
08-12-2012, 05:45 PM
The Browns are one of the only other teams I can remember that still runs the "cat", so it's not like Lewis hasn't seen it ran.

NorCalBronco7
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM

You're probaly right.

Its a gimmick.

orinjkrush
08-12-2012, 07:36 PM
does that mean he threw the game?

if another coach asks please don't do this or that, isn't that collusion?