footstepsfrom#27
08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Go...

Quoydogs
08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Stud :strong:

Marshall Dumervil
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Shoved his man into the QB for a sack. Beautiful.

Bacchus
08-10-2012, 08:55 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8akkpw2Hf1qaaoivo1_400.gif

chawknz
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Ready to buy his jersey.

Requiem
08-10-2012, 09:10 AM
MethWolfe!

LetsGoBroncos
08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Lots of people owe Elway an apology. He and Osweiller look like pretty good second round picks at the moment. Obviously a long way to go

socalorado
08-10-2012, 09:23 AM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/memes-you-call-it-crystal-meth-i-call-it-sugar.jpg
GO METHWOLFE

houghtam
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Lots of people owe Elway an apology. He and Osweiller look like pretty good second round picks at the moment. Obviously a long way to go

Nobody owes anyone anything. It's the first preseason game. If Wolfe or Osweiler are lighting it up come midseason, I'll be the first to come back and congratulate Elway and co.

Actually if Osweiler is lighting it up come midseason, I'll probably be pissed, but for other reasons. :)

pricejj
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Wolfe is the guy who I wanted the Broncos to draft with their 1st pick.

Glad to see that he had some success last night.

OrangeCrush2724
08-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Good luck with that...

BMarsh615
Wolfe is the guy who I wanted the Broncos to draft with their 1st pick.

I'd say you were the only one. I honestly never heard of him before the draft and I doubt I was the only one. Big Al and DMAC had a minor meltdown after that pick. Hilarious!

Kaylore
Nobody owes anyone anything.

Sure they do. It's way too early to say one or the other so people who were hysterical the day of the draft are stupid.

socalorado
Wolfe is the guy who I wanted the Broncos to draft with their 1st pick. NOBODY was on board with me (socalorado liked Wolfe (I think), but would have picked him later).

The reason we wanted Wolfe was because DEN needed DTs and we did not want the guys at the top of all the "analysts" boards.
Players like Worthy and Poe, who i think alot uf us posters thought were overrated.
I always thought MethWolfe was kinda like JJWatt with possibly more versatility.

Cito Pelon
08-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Wolfe is as advertised. Pretty polished player already, uses his hands well, keeps his feet moving and is in on a lot of plays. Seemed like CHI went to double-teaming him pretty quick but he still fought off the double-team with his hands and made tackles. I liked how he didn't f around trying to tackle high, he just goes for the legs and wraps up.

Pursued downfield well when the play was away from him and that is very important for a DL guy. Good field awareness, he's gonna be a good one.

socalorado
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd say you were the only one. I honestly never heard of him before the draft and I doubt I was the only one. Big Al and DMAC had a minor meltdown after that pick. Hilarious!

I also wanted Osweiller. Look it up.
I got so much heat at broncoforums for that.
I liked Reyes at DT as well.
And i thought the RB from Boise St was worthy of DENs 1st pick.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-10-2012, 09:45 AM

I didn't want him with the first pick(first round pick) But after trading down in the first round I wanted him then and was pleasantly surprised when we did pick him.

DENVERDUI55
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
The reason we wanted Wolfe was because DEN needed DTs and we did not want the guys at the top of all the "analysts" boards.
Players like Worthy and Poe, who i think alot uf us posters thought were overrated.
I always thought MethWolfe was kinda like JJWatt with possibly more versatility.

JDR drafted Alaua from Cal and got blasted for it and he has been pretty damn good.

Requiem
I'll be first to eat my crow from pricejj and MUG if Wolfe pans out. He looked really good last night for his first ever NFL showing.

Rabb
Sure they do. It's way too early to say one or the other so people who were hysterical the day of the draft are stupid.

:kiss:

ppablo
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Good to see some draft picks stepping up! Other than Von, we haven't see that much in recent years...

In Elway we trust!

socalorado
08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I didn't want him with the first pick(first round pick) But after trading down in the first round I wanted him then and was pleasantly surprised when we did pick him.

This last draft had alot of DEN fans specifically NOT wanting the so-called top tier DTs becuase they had any number of red flag problems, but those same fans instead wanted some of the 2nd tier guys that they felt were worthy of 1st round grades. So your not alone.
MethWolfe and Reyes are 2 the come to mind.

houghtam
08-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Don't let pricejj fool you. He started three or four (depending on whether you count deleted threads or not) throughout the draft process on his new flavor of the month D lineman. Including 4th round phenom Jared Crick. :wave:

barryr
08-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Only one preseason game, but encouraging play from Wolfe to say the least. I liked Wolfe too, though I thought maybe a better fit in a 3-4 defense. But the Broncos may switch defenses to either one for different looks during games anyway. I liked Reyes more, but I know I didn't need to mock his name or his life simply because the Broncos drafted him and not the DT I liked more.

SoCalBronco
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Maybe meth isn't such a bad thing after all.

houghtam
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Wouldn't they be equally stupid for making a big deal about one preseason game? Or does it only work the one way? Should everyone who hated picking up Tebow or Quinn have apologized immediately after the first preseason game in 2010? Damn that Keary Colbert looks great out there guys!

Nobody owes anyone anything. I know everyone's excited because we're seeing football for the first time in 6 months, but can we at least give it until midseason before we start trumpeting stuff none of us know?

(Ohhhhh look at that bad fan over there, he's not agreeing with the GroupThink)

Kaylore
08-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Wouldn't they be equally stupid for making a big deal about one preseason game?

It absolutely would. There's plenty of preseason warriors who faded. However all he can do is play well. What are you supposed to hope for? Non-descript play? If a rookie makes some waves in preseason, it's preferable to doing nothing, or worse, sucking.

pricejj
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Don't let pricejj fool you. He started three or four (depending on whether you count deleted threads or not) throughout the draft process on his new flavor of the month D lineman. Including 4th round phenom Jared Crick. :wave:

Wrong hater :wave: I soured on Crick after learning he was slimming down to be a DE (with average measurables). The Broncos needed a UT.

How's you're boy Jerel "I take plays off, just like everybody else" Worthy doing? There is a reason he fell to #51 overall and is a backup 3-4 DE. Looks like he won't be able to time the snap in the NFL like he did in college. Rodgers has already caught him offsides camp. What a fool you would have been to take him #25 overall.

Both Worthy and Crick are playing 3-4 DE in the NFL, and I bet Crick has a much better career (though he's no J.J. Watt). This ought to be fun. :sunshine:

Requiem
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Wrong hater :wave: I soured on Crick after learning he was slimming down to be a DE (with average measurables). The Broncos needed a UT.

How's you're boy Jerel "I take plays off, just like everybody else" Worthy doing? There is a reason he fell to #51 overall and is a backup 3-4 DE. Looks like he won't be able to time the snap in the NFL like he did in college. Rodgers has already caught him offsides camp. What a fool you would have been to take him #25 overall.

Both Worthy and Crick are playing 3-4 DE in the NFL, and I bet Crick has a much better career (though he's no J.J. Watt). This ought to be fun. :sunshine:

You do realize that Wolfe went from 295 at the combine, to being down to 280 pounds three days later at his pro day?

;) Gotta be the meth!

pricejj
08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Wolfe has 3 tackles and 2 sacks after his first game.
Worthy has 1 tackle.

It's all about production, but please by all means, keep pimping your boy Worthy. They might be more receptive to it on the Packers forum.

Requiem
08-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Wolfe has 3 tackles and 2 sacks after his first game.
Worthy has 1 tackle.

It's all about production, but please by all means, keep pimping your boy Worthy. They might be more receptive to it on the Packers forum.

I'm all for Wolfe if he keeps producing. It's just interesting to hear you say you soured on Watt because he was slimming down to be a DE, because that is precisely what Wolfe did as well.

Bronco Yoda
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
He sure did look good. We may just have a keeper :)

pricejj
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
You do realize that Wolfe went from 295 at the combine, to being down to 280 pounds three days later at his pro day?

;) Gotta be the meth!

Do you know of any drugs that help you lose weight faster? Nope, didn't think so! :sunshine:

We've all seen him in person now, and I'm not worried about his weight. He's got a good-sized bubble/lower body, and is pushing 6'5". He's got natural strength, good athleticism, is an extremely hard worker, and has a great 'demeanor' (as JDR would say). He's the perfect size for UT. Hopefully he can keep improving his technique, and getting stronger, while getting a lot of playing time. He wasn't perfect in the opener, but you can see the potential is there for him to hopefully take-over games someday! SuperBowl baby!!

cmhargrove
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe meth isn't such a bad thing after all.

Sure it isn't...
http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2009/12/bryan_cranston_as_breaking_bad_s_walter_white_phot _1768299544.jpg

BroncoBeavis
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Nobody owes anyone anything. It's the first preseason game. If Wolfe or Osweiler are lighting it up come midseason, I'll be the first to come back and congratulate Elway and co.

Actually if Osweiler is lighting it up come midseason, I'll probably be pissed, but for other reasons. :)

Funny.

2012. First preseason game. Osweiler goes 4 for 7 for 38 yards and a TD. Apologies demanded from anyone with doibts or questions.

2011. First preseason game. Jets starting punt protector goes 6 of 7 for 90+ yards and a TD. We're told the guy who went 3-10 the year before gives the best chance to win, and the future Jet has no future in the league.

Lestat
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
finally a good looking DT that we drafted and showing early promise!

bombay
08-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Dbag was deparate for Poe. His opinion should always be disregarded.

Requiem
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Do you know of any drugs that help you lose weight faster? Nope, didn't think so! :sunshine:

Just wondering how he lost 15 pounds in 3 days. :)

We've all seen him in person now, and I'm not worried about his weight. He's got a good-sized bubble/lower body, and is pushing 6'5". He's got natural strength, good athleticism, is an extremely hard worker, and has a great 'demeanor' (as JDR would say). He's the perfect size for UT. Hopefully he can keep improving his technique, and getting stronger, while getting a lot of playing time. He wasn't perfect in the opener, but you can see the potential is there for him to hopefully take-over games someday! SuperBowl baby!!

He is playing UT in passing situations, but is a strong side end in base packages. Everything you mention here is besides the point. You soured on Crick because he was slimming down to be a DE, but that is EXACTLY what has been asked of Derek in Denver, playing between 270-280. I'm just curious as to why your standard changed for Derek. Inconsistent, why? Probably because you got gooned when you were lauding a guy who went the fourth round as a guy who should be taken in the first.

hookemhess
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Funny.

2012. First preseason game. Osweiler goes 4 for 7 for 38 yards and a TD. Apologies demanded from anyone with doibts or questions.

2011. First preseason game. Jets starting punt protector goes 6 of 7 for 90+ yards and a TD. We're told the guy who went 3-10 the year before gives the best chance to win, and the future Jet has no future in the league.

Good god, Beavis, just move on. There are too many exciting things happening with the team now for the butthurt to still be flowing through you so hard.

pricejj
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm all for Wolfe if he keeps producing. It's just interesting to hear you say you soured on Watt because he was slimming down to be a DE, because that is precisely what Wolfe did as well.

We're talking about Crick and Wolfe, not Watt (Watt is even more special than Wolfe). You see Req, I wanted a very productive, tall, athletic, hard-working 300 lb. 4-3 UT. The Broncos needed to get one this offseason, because it's what we need to beat the Patriots (collapse the pocket from the inside).

Crick slimmed down to be as fast as possible (279 lbs.), still had a 4.99 forty, and has short arms (32")...not ideal for a 4-3 UT. I still like him, and he will probably do pretty good as a 3-4 DE (better than Worthy), but his short arms are going to hurt him against NFL OT's. Plus he got stonewalled against Wisconsin (I know he was playing hurt). The wear and tear caught up to him a little bit.

Wolfe is close to 300 lbs., has the frame to keep on the weight, ran a 5.01 forty, has longer arms (33 1/4"), better natural strength, and elite athletic ability for a man his size (three-cone). His production is off the charts for a DT, and he is relentless. That's why I chose Wolfe.

New England's weakened OL (Solder at LT, Mankins overcoming an ACL, is Waters coming back?, who knows at RT...) could give Wolfe a real opportunity to create havoc against the Patriots this year.

Wolfe is just the guy we need to crunch Brady, and get the Broncos in the SuperBowl! :sunshine:

pricejj
08-10-2012, 12:06 PM
You soured on Crick because he was slimming down to be a DE, but that is EXACTLY what has been asked of Derek in Denver, playing between 270-280.

Wolfe ain't 280 lbs. boss. Not even close. He's listed as 300 on the Broncos website (and he looks it).

I'm not the only one who soured on Crick leading up to the draft, he had a good Pro Day (coming off of injury), but it became clear that his measurables were not elite, even though he had great college production for a couple years. He is not a sure lock in the NFL (due to size/speed), and that's why he slipped to the 4th round. We don't really have a clear view of these guys until about a month before the draft, so why are you blaming me? He doesn't have the package to dominate as 4-3 UT, he's not fast enough to be a 4-3 DE. His skills/size pretty much equate to a 3-4 DE (with short arms). I had no way of knowing that until after his Pro day. Shoot me for it.

Requiem
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Wolfe was 280 at his pro day. Three days earlier he was 295 pounds. Explain that.

vancejohnson82
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Funny.

ummmm, what???

wrong thread? wrong board? wrong use of time? wrong anti-depressant medication? wrong priorities?

BroncoBeavis
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Good god, Beavis, just move on. There are too many exciting things happening with the team now for the butthurt to still be flowing through you so hard.

Yeah. Because it's totally positive and upbeat to demand apologies from doubters over 4, count 'em 4 completions in preseason scrub time.

You kids need to find a mirror.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Funny.

So tebow was a rookie in 2011? Swing and missssssss

BroncsRule
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Wolfe was 280 at his pro day. Three days earlier he was 295 pounds. Explain that.

A night at Taco Bell?

DBroncos4life
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM

I don't understand how this fact is lost in these ****ing retards.

BroncoBeavis
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Well you'd hope your rookie QBOTF would look a little better than a 2nd year guy who was the worst to ever grace an NFL stadium.

Besides, you can go back to 2010 if you like. 8/13 for 105?

You were saying something about 4 passes erasing all doubts?

Stagger Lee
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Did I misread the thread title?

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Well you'd hope your rookie QBOTF would look a little better than a 2nd year guy who was the worst to ever grace an NFL stadium.

Besides, you can go back to 2010 if you like. 8/13 for 105?

You were saying something about 4 passes erasing all doubts?

I wasn't saying anything. In fact my post in here was about Wolfe. I just responded that tebow wasnt a rookie in 2011. I will say I dont see a problem with Brock knowing how to drop back. But this is about Wolfe. A player on the team who I think will be pretty valuable.

BroncoBeavis
08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I wasn't saying anything. In fact my post in here was about Wolfe. I just responded that tebow wasnt a rookie in 2011. I will say I dont see a problem with Brock knowing how to drop back. But this is about Wolfe. A player on the team who I think will be pretty valuable.

I don't see a problem yet either. But I'm not sure how you could with only 3 attempts. Will he have problems with it? 95% likely. But that's ok, because that's what you should expect out of a kid adjusting to playing under center for the first time. Hint Hint. :)

And as far as Oz being brought in to this thread, you just need to read back to the post demanding apologies to figure it out.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't see a problem yet either. But I'm not sure how you could with only 3 attempts. Will he have problems with it? 95% likely. But that's ok, because that's what you should expect out of a kid adjusting to playing under center for the first time. Hint Hint. :)

And as far as Oz being brought in to this thread, you just need to read back to the post demanding apologies to figure it out.

I think hookem and Vance are talking about a different QB being of non relavence here than Oz.

BroncoBeavis
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I think hookem and Vance are talking about a different QB being of non relavence here than Oz.

Did you see the people in that other thread arguing over whether the 2006-2008 Broncos QB was ever elite?

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Did you see the people in that other thread arguing over whether the 2006-2008 Broncos QB was ever elite?

Well you got a point about threads losing its subject.

So in light of that....

Wolfe can ball...... So far.

Broncos_OTM
08-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Water weight

Cito Pelon
08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Wolfe was as advertised. Dude is quick and strong, uses his hands well, keeps his feet moving to get the leverage with his hands. Quick strong hands. He's gonna be playing in the League for a long time. Dude is badass, stepped right into the NFL like he'd been playing for 3 years.

Cito Pelon
08-10-2012, 02:12 PM

How about you STFU? You're just making more of a fool of yourself post after post.

Steve Sewell
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Dear Internet general managerz,

Pls pm me info so I can send you some cookies.

Sincerely,

Person who doesn't give a **** about your fan forum cred

BowlenBall
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Bump... with a picture of The Big Bad Wolfe looking sexy at practice yesterday:

http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2012/08-August/temp0A1A8806--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

BowlenBall
08-12-2012, 11:54 PM
http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2012/08-August/temp0A1A8871--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Drek
08-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Always liked the Wolfe pick.

But Lavonte David looked pretty damn good his first pre-season game and he did it against first stringers. Dude's a day one starting WOLB.

For a team talking about Plan A all the way why are we relying on backups who've never broke through to replace DJ during his suspension. We had a crack at one of the best WOLB prospects in the draft and picked a project QB.

Dbag was deparate for Poe. His opinion should always be disregarded.
Our FO was hoping that one of Poe, Brockers, or Cox would fall to them, FYI. But then if Poe was on our roster he wouldn't be asked to do the same job the chiefs are trying to shoehorn him into (being an NT).

Broncos_OTM
08-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Always liked the Wolfe pick.

But Lavonte David looked pretty damn good his first pre-season game and he did it against first stringers. Dude's a day one starting WOLB.

For a team talking about Plan A all the way why are we relying on backups who've never broke through to replace DJ during his suspension. We had a crack at one of the best WOLB prospects in the draft and picked a project QB.

Our FO was hoping that one of Poe, Brockers, or Cox would fall to them, FYI. But then if Poe was on our roster he wouldn't be asked to do the same job the chiefs are trying to shoehorn him into (being an NT).
I think you have to pick the qb that has potential. manning who knows how long hell be around. and I think it is invaluable to have a guy to be able to come in and ride the pine and learn. Brock has immense potential. however, I do see your point in regards to DJ. but remember its only a six game suspension. what would we have done if we had drafted david and DJ after the six games

fontaine
08-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Who cares about a weak side LB in the mid to long term range?

The top four issues affecting this team when Elway took over were:
1. Lack of an elite QB
2. Inconsistent pass rush
3. no real coaching staff
4. aging secondary

And in two offseasons Elway and co brought about major upgrades in each of those areas.

That means next year the FO won't be fire fighting to fix major issues but continuing to upgrade their roster and that's how you build a perennial playoff contender. Not by trying to fix the same issues like QB/Pass rush every year but going beyond that and at least for the next two seasons we'll hopefully go towards that goal.

That's why nearly everyone around the league has been impressed with the work Elway has done with what he inherited.

CEH
08-13-2012, 05:58 AM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

And in two offseasons Elway and co brought about major upgrades in each of those areas.

That means next year the FO won't be fire fighting to fix major issues but continuing to upgrade their roster and that's how you build a perennial playoff contender. Not by trying to fix the same issues like QB/Pass rush every year but going beyond that and at least for the next two seasons we'll hopefully go towards that goal.

That's why nearly everyone around the league has been impressed with the work Elway has done with what he inherited.

I agree 100% with this take. This is how I thought Elway is looking at the team.

I don't think Brock is the pick if Manning is not here. Brock will be a groomed and be a 24 year old QB if Manning plays 3 years.

LBers are a dime a dozen in the 2nd round each year. Plus if DJ is not suspended (did we know for sure on April 29th this was the case) where does a WSLBer play on this team this year.

You can't go into every draft with QB as a priority. It screws up everything in terms of draft preparation. Next year and the year after Elways will have a whole new set of holes to fill with players that can come in and make an impact immediately.

Not really arguring this is the correct way just the way I would look at the team

socalorado
08-13-2012, 06:33 AM
I agree 100% with this take. This is how I thought Elway is looking at the team.

I don't think Brock is the pick if Manning is not here. Brock will be a groomed and be a 24 year old QB if Manning plays 3 years.

LBers are a dime a dozen in the 2nd round each year. Plus if DJ is not suspended (did we know for sure on April 29th this was the case) where does a WSLBer play on this team this year.

You can't go into every draft with QB as a priority. It screws up everything in terms of draft preparation. Next year and the year after Elways will have a whole new set of holes to fill with players that can come in and make an impact immediately.

Not really arguring this is the correct way just the way I would look at the team
Agreed. And Fontaine is dead on.

Bacchus
08-13-2012, 06:43 AM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

He'll be executive of the year.

pricejj
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Von Miller dubs Derek Wolfe.....

WOLFMAN

cmhargrove
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

I agree with this take, starting with the opinions on a 4-3 OLB. Even if you pick in the 25-32 range, there are always great WLBs available if that is what you need. QB's with talent are always costly, and so far, Osweiler looked like he was worth the pick. I just have to trust Elway on this one.

About DJ, I think the FO was trying to stay as loyal to DJ for as long as they could and if that is their stance, I can't blame them for not using a high pick to fill his spot. It will be interesting to see if their stance changes with further sanctions, charges, or judgements against him.

footstepsfrom#27
08-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Perfect...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FANGORIA-94-JACK-NICHOLSON-WOLF-BRAINSCAN-/06/!BS1HnHg!Wk~%24(KGrHgoOKiMEjlLmV6SyBKFKlb)JEQ~~_35 .JPG

Shananahan
08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Agreed. Living in Nebraska and watching all the games while happily rooting against them for the sake of the fans here, it was pretty easy to see that David is a stud. He was a can't-miss pick, and I'm sure he'd be starting in Denver sooner rather than later had he been the guy. Very, very good player.

I don't have complaints with the Osweiler pick because I like the fact that they're aiming high, but David would have been fantastic.

Rohirrim
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

Good post. Rep.

Bacchus
08-17-2012, 08:27 AM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

and people say you are a Negative Nilly....

Kaylore
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM

1. Lack of an elite QB
4. aging secondary

Epic post.

And don't forget the smaller issues such as

Lack of veteran experience at receiver.
Poor depth at tight end.
lack of depth on the offensive line.

Say what you want about Elway, but if he sees a problem, he's going to something. And while he can't fix everything, it's clear that the glaring problems get major attention, and they try to make every area improve on some level.

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
QB's with talent are always costly, and so far, Osweiler looked like he was worth the pick. I just have to trust Elway on this one.

Which Elway, Jack or John?

Picking Blake Osweiler over Lavonte David was and will be proven a colossal blunder. Not only would David have started immediately - likely have been an impact starter - but we'd also have an extra starter on the roster instead of watching Osweiler waste a spot carrying a clipboard for two years. Starting QBs don't even carry clipboards anymore, they start as rookies.

lolcopter
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Big Al and DMAC had a minor meltdown after pretty much any broncos draft pick, ever

fyp

Turd_Ferguson
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Picking Blake Osweiler over Lavonte David was and will be proven a colossal blunder. Not only would David have started immediately - likely have been an impact starter - but we'd also have an extra starter on the roster instead of watching Osweiler waste a spot carrying a clipboard for two years. Starting QBs don't even carry clipboards anymore, they start as rookies.

Yea, cause the arguably best QB in the league Aaron Rodgers didn't sit around holding no stupid clip board! Green Bay didn't "waste" a late first rounder on him just to have him sit around and hold a clip board... They didn't let him sit behind an aging super star legend of the game for years before ever starting him... OHHHHH wait I'm thinking of Jamarcus Russel, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf. Aaron Rodgers DID do all those things... Oh and so did Tom Brady...

Marshall Dumervil
08-17-2012, 10:09 AM

What do you have against Osweiler? By the time Manning is done he will be ready to jump right in.

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Why does everyone love that post so much when it starts with this line? No post can be "epic" that starts with an intentional 'who cares?' about the #1 playmaker position on defense.

Not trying to be a deek here, the rest of the post makes good sense, but it's mostly touchy-feely good sense ... after all, what guy "around the league" would criticize Elway out loud and so soon?

I've been a big defender of front office John, but he blew this one. His outdated QB development plan is no surprise coming from an all-time great at the position, but that doesn't make it okay. Near as I can tell, the last QB drafted-to-be-the-starter who knowingly carried a clipboard was Philip Rivers, and that was 9 years ago.

Play2win
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
What do you have against Osweiler? By the time Manning is done he will be ready to jump right in.

Yep. Brock is going to be awesome.

houghtam
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Yea, cause the arguably best QB in the league Aaron Rodgers didn't sit around holding no stupid clip board! Green Bay didn't "waste" a late first rounder on him just to have him sit around and hold a clip board... They didn't let him sit behind an aging super star legend of the game for years before ever starting him... OHHHHH wait I'm thinking of Jamarcus Russel, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf. Aaron Rodgers DID do all those things... Oh and so did Tom Brady...

Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Vick...

enjolras
08-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Vick...

Tony Romo! Matt Schaub!

Naming QB's is super fun:)

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Yea, cause the arguably best QB in the league Aaron Rodgers didn't sit around holding no stupid clip board! Green Bay didn't "waste" a late first rounder on him just to have him sit around and hold a clip board.

Turd, you missed an important point: Drafted-to-be-starter knowing/intending he'd carry a clipboard for any length of time.

Aaron Rodgers was not drafted to carry a clipboard ... stupid Favre dug his heels in and wouldn't retire, member? They finally had to publicly shove him out kicking and screaming (and sexting).

Play2win
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I think it shows great vision, in a bill gates sort of way.

gyldenlove
08-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Epic post.

And don't forget the smaller issues such as

Lack of veteran experience at receiver.
Poor depth at tight end.
lack of depth on the offensive line.

Say what you want about Elway, but if he sees a problem, he's going to something. And while he can't fix everything, it's clear that the glaring problems get major attention, and they try to make every area improve on some level.

Elway did what he could. It is abundantly clear that the NFL is a QB league, if you don't have an elite QB you are probably not going to win some serious bling (Brees, Manning (x2), Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger) have won 10 of the last 11 superbowls and the last 9 consecutive super bowls. There was only 1 QB available to us who might concievably fit that mold, and Elway went out guns blazing and brought him in. Sure, Peyton may not be the guy we build around for the next 15 years, but right now he makes this team a lot better and a lot more compatible with the current game.

The Broncos are in a situation now where we have something to build around and hopefully something to build behind, Osweiler is a guy who fits Elway's ideals he is a big kid, he has a rocket arm and he is a pocket passer, he has limited experience and needs a lot of work in terms of getting up to NFL speed and absorbing an NFL offense, but with Manning at the wheel for hopefully some years, he has just that opportunity.

Osweiler to me is very similar to Tannehill without the athleticism, they had about the same experience at the college level (1 year starting), similar production and similar body types - tall kids with armpower to spare but some questions on accuracy. Tannehill went in the top 10, and is going to be thrown to the lions in year 1 down in Miami with a dreadful supporting cast - Osweiler gets to come along at a good pace, learn the playbook, learn the speed, refine his mechanics and observing how one of the greats go about the business of being a top NFL QB. This doesn't mean he will succeed, you never know when it comes to NFL draftees, but he has a shot at succeeding and the tools to have a lot of success if it all pans out the right way.

Look at the Steelers, they are a perpetual playoff candidate and superbowl contender, their offensive line is a shambles and has been for years, their runningbacks are a shadow of what it once was, their defensive line has been dying on its feet for years and their secondary was for the longest time Polamalu (when he was healthy) and the 3 stooges. Between a deadly pass rush and solid production from their QB, they have gone far, between Dumervil, Wolfe, Miller, Warren and Manning and co why can't we do the same thing?

I strongly believe this team can succeed, I believe this team can compete far into the playoffs if things go right and I believe every bit of that is down to the vision of Elway and his ability to bring in Manning and focus the team towards playing a modern style of football that is focused around pass offense and pass defense.

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Tony Romo! Matt Schaub!

Neither Romo nor Schaub were Drafted-to-be-the-Starter. Both pre-date Rivers anyway.

Making my points for me is super fun too, no? ;D

houghtam
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Tony Romo! Matt Schaub!

Except the QBs I named all started their first season, and with the exception of possibly Sanchez, are all pretty good or better.

The QBs you named all didn't start until years after they were drafted, and neither are particularly wonderful.

Thanks for supporting BroncoBuff's point.

2KBack
08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Neither Romo nor Schaub were Drafted-to-be-the-Starter. Both pre-date Rivers anyway.

Making my points for me is super fun too, no? ;D

I'm not sure what your point is exactly...that QB's don't start on the bench anymore, or that they shouldn't.

Seems to me if you have a great, but old, QB; it is in your best interests to draft someone to groom. Not being forced to start a rookie seems like an advantage to me. Bad teams have to start rookie QB's

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Except the QBs I named all started their first season, and with the exception of possibly Sanchez, are all pretty good or better.

The QBs you named all didn't start until years after they were drafted, and neither are particularly wonderful.

Thanks for supporting BroncoBuff's point.

Funny, but this New-World-QB-Order I describe has brought about a new life-form: The 1st-round QB who's all washed up after just a couple seasons. Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young kind of. Maybe Jimmy Claussen, Josh Freeman, Blaine Gabbert next ... and Mark Sanchez must be even more a nervous wreck than usual with the Tall Shadow of Tebow descending.

You really never heard such a thing before ... giving up on a 1st round QB after just a season or two. Leaf I guess, but he was a head case.

BroncoBuff
08-17-2012, 10:54 AM

The only thing I have against Blake Osweiler is: Linebacker and soon-to-be-Honolulu-regular Lavonte David, whose presence here I think would've greatly helped us make a deep playoff run in this 2-3 year Manning window.

Drek
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure what your point is exactly...that QB's don't start on the bench anymore, or that they shouldn't.

Seems to me if you have a great, but old, QB; it is in your best interests to draft someone to groom. Not being forced to start a rookie seems like an advantage to me. Bad teams have to start rookie QB's

The best QBs today EXPECT to start as rookies.

The fact that Osweiler is a project isn't the problem here. If this was 2010 and Elway got rid of Tebow day one then drafted Osweiler no one here would be complaining at all (other than giving up on Tebow too soon, but that's a different argument).

Fact is, we got Peyton MOTHER****ING MANNING. This is win now mode and we had:
1. an opening at WOLB because DJ is a piece of ****.
2. a need for a WOLB who can cover.
3. a very good WOLB prospect who specifically excels in coverage fall to us in the late 2nd round.

If this team had drafted David and right now we were talking about Wolfe starting at LDE and David starting at WOLB people (including myself) would be breaking their backs to suck Elway's dick for two big immediate defensive upgrades in only his second draft.

Instead we've got one defensive upgrade and a big sack of hopeium to smoke while we wait and see if 1. Woodyard or Trevathan can fill in for DJ and 2. Osweiler can ever amount to more than he was in college, where he was a mediocre one year starter.

Turd_Ferguson
08-17-2012, 12:43 PM
This is a ridiculous argument to make about 2 rookies that after 1 or 2 preseason games... Osweiler could be the next Joe Montana and Lavonte Davis could go on to blow out his knee next week and never be heard from again.. Soon to be Honolulu regular? Give me a break... Thats like me saying luckily Elway drafted soon to be Super Bowl Champ Brock Osweiler! If you think they should have drafted LB over QB then fine thats a legit opinion, but to say Davis is clearly a perenial all pro at this point is silly.

BroncoBeavis
08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
The best QBs today EXPECT to start as rookies.

Funny thing is, if you look at today's A-listers, very few of them did. Manning's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Requiem
08-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I knew that David was going to be an Eagle when we passed him up. They threw that pick in right away. God, that made me sad. I had a melt down that day.

delany
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Declaring a "win-now" mind-set and accusing Denver of passing on their crystal ball future of All Pro's du jours (Lavonte, in this case) is just another way that Tebowites can reconcile their anger for 15 being jettisoned and a new prospect taking his place.

Fact is. This is a better team without Tebow anywhere on the roster. More at peace and directionally correct. Less divisive for the team and its fanbase.

I agree that this team is in win now mode but it still needs to plan for the future. IMO, both of those goals were achieved in the best possible way by eliminating the distractions caused by the noise surrounding the previous QB prospect and replacing him with a raw, young QB with all the right measurables who is willing to quietly work hard in an Elway\Manning apprenticeship program.

That was a FA signing\trade\draft pick that was all well spent.

Elway has been nothing short of masterful.

delany
08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I knew that David was going to be an Eagle when we passed him up. They threw that pick in right away. God, that made me sad. I had a melt down that day.

What made you melt down and almost burn down your trailer home that day...was Denver selecting a white D-line player.

Hulamau
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Most definitely ... all drafts are a crap shoot but this years crop is looking like some real winners are likely.

Wolfe, Brock, Hillman (when his hammy is ready) are already looking like stud picks in the making. Bolden seems promising too, but may need a season of backup duty after so much time off.

Blake and Malik showing some signs as well and of course Danny Trevathan who might be one of the steals of the draft before its all over ..

Not bad at all so far and while I agree its too early to pronounce any of these guys a long term pro bowler... I don't see any likely bust material here either.

BroncoBeavis
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Declaring a "win-now" mind-set and accusing Denver of passing on their crystal ball future of All Pro's du jours (Lavonte, in this case) is just another way that Tebowites can reconcile their anger for 15 being jettisoned and a new prospect taking his place.

Fact is. This is a better team without Tebow anywhere on the roster. More at peace and directionally correct. Less divisive for the team and its fanbase.

I agree that this team is in win now mode but it still needs to plan for the future. IMO, both of those goals were achieved in the best possible way by eliminating the distractions caused by the noise surrounding the previous QB prospect and replacing him with a raw, young QB with all the right measurables who is willing to quietly work hard in an Elway\Manning apprenticeship program.

That was a FA signing\trade\draft pick that was all well spent.

Elway has been nothing short of masterful.

You'll have a hard time painting some of these Brock skeptics as Teboners. As for myself, I said right after the Methwolf pick that I'd be happy so long as they didn't pick Brosweiler next. I honestly didn't think they'd take him that early and I was half kidding. If it were in the 4th round, no problem. 2nd pick of a "win now" draft? Retarded.

Requiem
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
What made you melt down and almost burn down your trailer home that day...was Denver selecting a white D-line player.

I didn't like either selection. And I didn't like trading up for Hillman. I also didn't like taking a DB who missed a whole damn season in the fourth round. FML. I hope this draft pans out but it'll probably be a pisser of fail

Hulamau
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
The only thing I have against Blake Osweiler is: Linebacker and soon-to-be-Honolulu-regular Lavonte David, whose presence here I think would've greatly helped us make a deep playoff run in this 2-3 year Manning window.

I hear you BBuff, David would have fit into our plans nicely as well. But Trevathan may well ease that loss and fill a lot of what David would bring .. though maybe not as quickly and to the degree David will? Time will tell.

But I feel a hell of a lot better having Osweiller already deep into his grooming period and having time to really learn and get up to speed, than being stuck with Hanie and Weber as the sole backups to Manning.

Brock does have a chance to be special and if he does grow into this opportunity .. and he certainly has the physical tools and desire to be great ... then everyone will forget we could have snagged Lavonte David instead.

Drek
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Funny thing is, if you look at today's A-listers, very few of them did. Manning's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

1. most of your top QBs now entered the league about a decade ago.

2. When a handful of your top QBs are guys like Brady (6th round draft pick who broke out against all odds) and Brees (changed teams before becoming an elite QB) what does that matter?

Fact is the currently in progress wave of new, quality starting QBs consists of guys like Stafford (day one guy), Ryan (day one guy), Newton (day one guy), even Dalton and Sanchez were all day one guys.

I'm not saying that Osweiler is a scrub or something, but today's breed of QB prospect enters the NFL with the expectation to start very quickly. As a result more and more of them are prepared for it and do not need the sheltered ecosystem to develop in.

So why did we need Osweiler now when we could have likely just drafted a Dalton type (experienced, savvy 2nd rounder who isn't a big "measureables" guy) when we actually had the need?

The current NFL roster construction paradigm does not agree with the notion that you draft and develop QBs long term in house. The current top tier QBs are proof of this.

What if Osweiler follows Drew Brees' career trajectory? He takes over for Manning in 2013 or 2014 and plays ok football for a few seasons but doesn't blow anybody away. Then he's a free agent. We're then required to bet on him taking a big step forward in his late 20's or we move on and let someone else take that risk/reward option.

Developing a QBOTF behind someone like Manning is a risky move because if that guy doesn't explode the minute you hand him the reigns you're left with a VERY tough decision to make with very little data to make it on.

BroncoInferno
08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I've been a big defender of front office John, but he blew this one.

I wasn't crazy about the pick, but it remains to be seen if Elway "blew it." If Osweiler takes over for Manning and becomes a quality starter at the most important position on the field, then it will prove to have been a brilliant move.

Near as I can tell, the last QB drafted-to-be-the-starter who knowingly carried a clipboard was Philip Rivers, and that was 9 years ago.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for three seasons before taking over the job in 2009.

houghtam
08-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Here is a list of each of the primary starters for each team last year. Bolded are the quarterbacks who were starters for a good portion of their first season. You could also replace Tebow with Manning, who also started from day one.

I'll let you be the judge on whether good quarterbacks generally start from day one or not.

Tom Brady
Mark Sanchez
Matt Moore
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Joe Flacco
Ben Roethlisberger
Andy Dalton
Colt McCoy
Matt Schaub
Matt Hasselbeck
Blaine Gabbert
Curtis Painter
Tim Tebow
Carson Palmer
Drew Brees
Matt Cassell
Eli Manning
Mike Vick
Tony Romo
Rex Grossman
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Christian Ponder
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Josh Freeman
Alex Smith
Kevin Kolb
Tarvaris Jackson
Sam Bradford

CEH
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Here is a list of each of the primary starters for each team last year. Bolded are the quarterbacks who were starters for a good portion of their first season. You could also replace Tebow with Manning, who also started from day one.

I'll let you be the judge on whether good quarterbacks generally start from day one or not.

Tom Brady
Mark Sanchez
Matt Moore
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Joe Flacco
Ben Roethlisberger
Andy Dalton
Colt McCoy
Matt Schaub
Matt Hasselbeck
Blaine Gabbert
Curtis Painter
Tim Tebow
Carson Palmer
Drew Brees
Matt Cassell
Eli Manning
Mike Vick
Tony Romo
Rex Grossman
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Christian Ponder
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Josh Freeman
Alex Smith
Kevin Kolb
Tarvaris Jackson
Sam Bradford

Remove the top 5 picks because by default a top 5 QB is going to start

Now we are talking Big Ben was was 3rd on the depth chart and played due to injury to the 2 QBs in front of him , not sure the story on Falcco the same?, but I see Flacco, Freeman , Dalton , Gabbert and Ponder

Eli sucked his first year. Teboweques in terms of passing stats

So the theory here for those who hated on Brock is to wait for the need and hope you get a top 5 pick otherwise you may get a Flacco or Dalton but you may get a guy like Brady Quinn or Loseman. Maybe luck into a Arron Rodgers

Drek
08-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Now we are talking Big Ben was was 3rd on the depth chart and played due to injury to the 2 QBs in front of him , not sure the story on Falcco the same?, but I see Flacco, Freeman , Dalton , Gabbert and Ponder

So the theory here for those who hated on Brock is to wait for the need and hope you get a top 5 pick otherwise you may get a Flacco or Dalton but you may get a guy like Brady Quinn or Loseman. Maybe luck into a Arron Rodgers

And you're sure we don't have a Lossman or Quinn with Osweiler?

Fact is, we don't and we're going to get a very narrow window to conclude whether he's the real QBOTF.

The only time in recent NFL history where a guy was drafted high but outside the top ten, sat on the bench for a few years, and then became an elite QB out of the gate was Aaron Rodgers.

Hell, the only other time a guy from the same range as Osweiler sat a year and then turned into a good starter was Drew Brees, who his first team parted ways with.

If come the 2014 season Osweiler is the starter, has a mediocre season, and we're sitting with a 6-10 record and a top 10 pick with a stud QB within range what do you do? Probably do what the Chargers did and draft the QB.

Osweiler needs to be a stud from the first day he starts to justify taking him a couple years before he can possibly contribute to the team.

DENVERDUI55
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Fact is, we don't and we're going to get a very narrow window to conclude whether he's the real QBOTF.

The only time in recent NFL history where a guy was drafted high but outside the top ten, sat on the bench for a few years, and then became an elite QB out of the gate was Aaron Rodgers.

Hell, the only other time a guy from the same range as Osweiler sat a year and then turned into a good starter was Drew Brees, who his first team parted ways with.

If come the 2014 season Osweiler is the starter, has a mediocre season, and we're sitting with a 6-10 record and a top 10 pick with a stud QB within range what do you do? Probably do what the Chargers did and draft the QB.

Osweiler needs to be a stud from the first day he starts to justify taking him a couple years before he can possibly contribute to the team.Tom Brady?
T

Tombstone RJ
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Osweiler needs to be a stud from the first day he starts to justify taking him a couple years before he can possibly contribute to the team.

Your two examples are pretty darn good (Brees and Rogers). Another possible example is Kolb, I think he was drafted in the 2nd round?

Let's hope Osweiler is more like Brees and Rogers.

fdf
08-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Tony Romo! Matt Schaub!

Marlin Briscoe! Steve Tensi! Jacky Lee!

CEH
08-17-2012, 05:19 PM

I guess in 2012 I'm not going to worry about what might or might not happen in 2014. Every player drafted I would think is drafted with expectations . Brock is no different and I'm sure Elway is not looking at a worst case scenario in 2014

Best case scenario we roll from PMF to Edward and Edward may not be a top 5 but a solid starter ala Cutler and locks down the QB spot for the next 10 years

Bacchus
08-17-2012, 05:28 PM

ahh but in 20 years from now as Oz is inducted into the Pro football HOF you will not even remember David.

Bacchus
08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Osweiler to me is very similar to Tannehill without the athleticism, they had about the same experience at the college level (1 year starting), similar production and similar body types - tall kids with armpower to spare but some questions on accuracy. Tannehill went in the top 10, and is going to be thrown to the lions in year 1 down in Miami with a dreadful supporting cast - Osweiler gets to come along at a good pace, learn the playbook, learn the speed, refine his mechanics and observing how one of the greats go about the business of being a top NFL QB. This doesn't mean he will succeed, you never know when it comes to NFL draftees, but he has a shot at succeeding and the tools to have a lot of success if it all pans out the right way.

Oz seems to have Big Ben qualities if you ask me. Minus the rapist tendencies of course.

gyldenlove
08-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Oz seems to have Big Ben qualities if you ask me. Minus the rapist tendencies of course.

I am not seeing that, I would put him more like a Matt Stafford type of guy, big arm who needs to get his accuracy and the mental side of it up to speed.

Bacchus
08-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I am not seeing that, I would put him more like a Matt Stafford type of guy, big arm who needs to get his accuracy and the mental side of it up to speed.

He has much better physical skills than Stafford as fas as mobility.

He is big
He is mobile
He has a great arm
He is raw

sounds like Ben coming out of college.

Although Ben soon proved that he was more refined than what people were giving him credit for.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 06:09 PM

The thing about Oz to me, is that he doesn't seem very bright. He always seems to have this deer in the headlights look on his face and spews what seems to be coined coach speak. I like his raw abilities but the guy doesn't seem to have an original idea in his head and he can't spell.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM

He is big
He is mobile
He has a great arm
He is raw

Although Ben soon proved that he was more refined than what people were giving him credit for.

When I first saw BB play, I knew he was gonna be money. He has great touch and is a bitch to bring down. Perfect for the Steeler's style of play. It's just too bad that he's such a douche.

gyldenlove
08-17-2012, 07:27 PM

He is big
He is mobile
He has a great arm
He is raw

I just don't see the kind of physicality that Roethlisberger has, the trick with Ben is that he is so good at staying on his feet when he gets touched.

Turd_Ferguson
08-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I think the main reason teams start QBs immediately now is because the teams are usually terrible that take them, which means the head coach has just been hired, or is on the hot seat. When you draft a kid to a crap team you don't want to let him sit for a season or two and lose, so that you can get fired before you ever even use the kid.

With the Broncos you already have a team you expect to be very very competitive. You already have a hall of fame QB. You have the unique opportunity to draft a high end QB and NOT be forced to throw him to the wolves. A guy with great physical ability and stature... Why not? I would rather draft an all pro QB any time than an all pro linebacker. Im not saying he is goin to be an all pro but if you told me him and the linebacker were both certain to be all pros, I would take the QB every time.

Lestat
08-17-2012, 07:52 PM

i think a lot of it has to do with a team having a legit developmental plan for the QB.
most top 1-2 round picks at QB are being drafted by a team who wants to peg them as the face of the franchise and try to essentially rig the competition so that the guy has to completely bomb out to not be the starting QB.

some guys confidence will be high no matter the results, others will get beaten into a pulp and erode the development due to loss of confidence.

i like the drafting of Oz to develop behind Manning. i don't like that it was in the 2nd round but in most cases you don't find a potential franchise guy that late unless he has maturity,legal or personal issues.
Oz,Dalton,Mallett,Kolb,Schaub are the only ones who didn't fall there due to size issues(like a Brees,Wallace or Wilson),major injury concerns or straight up system concerns like a Texas Tech or Hawaii pass happy system. though Kolb did play for Houston and they're notorious for NFL QB busts.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I think the main reason teams start QBs immediately now is because the teams are usually terrible that take them, which means the head coach has just been hired, or is on the hot seat. When you draft a kid to a crap team you don't want to let him sit for a season or two and lose, so that you can get fired before you ever even use the kid.

With the Broncos you already have a team you expect to be very very competitive. You already have a hall of fame QB. You have the unique opportunity to draft a high end QB and NOT be forced to throw him to the wolves. A guy with great physical ability and stature... Why not? I would rather draft an all pro QB any time than an all pro linebacker. Im not saying he is goin to be an all pro but if you told me him and the linebacker were both certain to be all pros, I would take the QB every time.

I think the "plan A" argument is still, why not draft a great LB when you have the QB already for a project QB. Not to mention, he's has high potential to be sorta dumb.

Lestat
08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I just don't see the kind of physicality that Roethlisberger has, the trick with Ben is that he is so good at staying on his feet when he gets touched.

it's practice from all those women who said no.

Big Ben is a freakish QB. he can play inside or outside the pocket, take hits and dish out as much punishment by being forced to tackle him as you give him when you finally do.

Ben,Cam & Freeman are likely the only ones who can dish it out as well as they can take it.
the problem with Ben is that he's always trying to keep the play alive so he takes unnecessary shots to do so. but if he gave up on the play he wouldn't be as good, a lot less banged up though.
if Vick had Cam or Ben's size and still had the same athletic ability he might have been able to stay healthy and lead a team to a super bowl.

Lestat
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I think the "plan A" argument is still, why not draft a great LB when you have the QB already for a project QB. Not to mention, he's has high potential to be sorta dumb.

i think it came down to trying to decide which is harder to find. impact LB for multiple seasons who can help now or franchise QB who can take over right after the HOF QB is done.

the LB makes more sense right now, but the bigger impact overall is the potential franchise QB. if you don't have to draft another QB high from 2012 til say 2024 or longer. that opens up a huge window to address all other needs.

now if it doesn't pan out then you set the franchise back 5-6 years at least without either a trade or big FA signing.

Br0nc0Buster
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Disliking the Oz pick because he will not help right now is such a short sighted view

The FO saw an opportunity to take a guy with franchise potential without having to sacrifice a top pick
In such a qb driven league if you have the opportunity to take a franchise qb and you currently dont have one on the roster(Tebow is not the answer), you pull the trigger every time

McShay said Oz had the second highest upside of any qb in the draft behind Griffin
Mayock said he was a bit of a project but with significant upside

I am glad they took a chance on a guy they really like instead of waiting and being pushed into a corner when Manning is done playing

FTR I like David a lot as a prospect, but understand the value of the qb position in today's NFL unlike some on here

hambone13
08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
i think it came down to trying to decide which is harder to find. impact LB for multiple seasons who can help now or franchise QB who can take over right after the HOF QB is done.

the LB makes more sense right now, but the bigger impact overall is the potential franchise QB. if you don't have to draft another QB high from 2012 til say 2024 or longer. that opens up a huge window to address all other needs.

now if it doesn't pan out then you set the franchise back 5-6 years at least without either a trade or big FA signing.

Of course that's what it is and I hope it pans out. I just it's glaringly obvious we need to upgrade at LB Oz is a huge gamble. I would be ecstatic if he had some brights but I'm not sold on him just because of his physical gifts. I'd love to see us build a world class D while we have a great QB to be prepared for Manning's retirement. We could still win games with a mediocre QB in that scenario.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Disliking the Oz pick because he will not help right now is such a short sighted view

The FO saw an opportunity to take a guy with franchise potential without having to sacrifice a top pick
In such a qb driven league if you have the opportunity to take a franchise qb and you currently dont have one on the roster(Tebow is not the answer), you pull the trigger every time

McShay said Oz had the second highest upside of any qb in the draft behind Griffin
Mayock said he was a bit of a project but with significant upside

I am glad they took a chance on a guy they really like instead of waiting and being pushed into a corner when Manning is done playing

FTR I like David a lot as a prospect, but understand the value of the qb position in today's NFL unlike some on here

I understand the visionary aspect of the pick but I'm just not sold he has enough between the ears to be a franchise QB. I think Shanny had something going with picking smart guys to play QB. How many QB's are starting in today's NFL with limited IQ?

Br0nc0Buster
08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I understand the visionary aspect of the pick but I'm just not sold he has enough between the ears to be a franchise QB. I think Shanny had something going with picking smart guys to play QB. How many QB's are starting in today's NFL with limited IQ?

What are you basing this off of?
I am not saying you are necessarily wrong, I just have not heard anyone else suggest he is too stupid to play the position
I understand his stupid arm tattoos dont help his cause, but again on draft day Mayock said he was "way beyond his years in football IQ; really understands the game"

hambone13
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
What are you basing this off of?
I am not saying you are necessarily wrong, I just have not heard anyone else suggest he is too stupid to play the position
I understand his stupid arm tattoos dont help his cause, but again on draft day Mayock said he was "way beyond his years in football IQ; really understands the game"

Does he strike you as a smart guy in his interviews? I am basing this off of my own impression of his communication skills, choice of words, tattoos, etc. Football IQ is fine at any position other than QB in the NFL IIMO. He just strikes me as dumb. Everything he says sounds like it's coming out of his agent's coffee table handbook for what to say to the press. He doesn't answer questions comprehensively or in any way that implies he's bright.

delany
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
The Top Ten Wonderlic Test Scores 2012

1. Andrew Luck Wonderlic Test Score 37

2. Ryan Lindley Wonderlic Test Score 35

3. Ryan Tannehill Wonderlic Test Score 34

4. Kirk Cousins Wonderlic Test Score 33

5. Nick Foles Wonderlic Test Score 29

6. Russell Wilson Wonderlic Test Score 28

7. Brandon Weeden Wonderlic Test Score 27

8. Kellen Moore Wonderlic Test Score 26

9. Brock Osweiler Wonderlic Test Score 25

10. Robert Griffin III Wonderlic Test Score 24

delany
08-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Does he strike you as a smart guy in his interviews? I am basing this off of my own impression of his communication skills, choice of words, tattoos, etc. Football IQ is fine at any position other than QB in the NFL IIMO. He just strikes me as dumb. Everything he says sounds like it's coming out of his agent's coffee table handbook for what to say to the press. He doesn't answer questions comprehensively or in any way that implies he's bright.

You are basing his IQ off of his tattoos?

hambone13
08-17-2012, 09:01 PM
You are basing his IQ off of his tattoos?

I've already answered that question. He just strikes me as a dumb drone. The tattoos are just supporting evidence of my impression.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 09:10 PM
The Top Ten Wonderlic Test Scores 2012

1. Andrew Luck Wonderlic Test Score 37

2. Ryan Lindley Wonderlic Test Score 35

3. Ryan Tannehill Wonderlic Test Score 34

4. Kirk Cousins Wonderlic Test Score 33

5. Nick Foles Wonderlic Test Score 29

6. Russell Wilson Wonderlic Test Score 28

7. Brandon Weeden Wonderlic Test Score 27

8. Kellen Moore Wonderlic Test Score 26

9. Brock Osweiler Wonderlic Test Score 25

10. Robert Griffin III Wonderlic Test Score 24

A 25 is not a high score by any means. I use to administer the tests for one of the companies I recruited for and you didn't even get considered if you didn't score a 27 or higher. A 27 was only acceptable for helpdesk positions as well. You needed a 30 or above for all other roles. I mean just look at Luck's score, that should tell you something.

houghtam
08-17-2012, 09:27 PM
A 25 is not a high score by any means. I use to administer the tests for one of the companies I recruited for and you didn't even get considered if you didn't score a 27 or higher. A 27 was only acceptable for helpdesk positions as well. You needed a 30 or above for all other roles. I mean just look at Luck's score, that should tell you something.

Other QBs with a 25 Wonderlic:

Roethlisberger
Pennington
McCoy

Palmer and Cutler with 26's, Russell and Carr with 24's.

Take it for what it's worth.

hambone13
08-17-2012, 09:35 PM

Roethlisberger
Pennington
McCoy

I get what you're saying and that score isn't a big deal. Again, it's all just an impression. He just seems like a dim cheeseball. I hope it isn't the case!

lonestar
08-17-2012, 09:36 PM

He is big
He is mobile
He has a great arm
He is raw

YEt his defense carried him for awhile.

Are we going to have that PIT defense to fall back on?

BroncoBeavis
08-17-2012, 09:36 PM

I don't think Eli was supposed to start either. He didn't until late in the season.

Take him and Big Ben off that list and it's fairly unimpressive as a whole.

lonestar
08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Not sure if someone commented on this or not but Breeze was not all that hot his frist couple of years.. the whole reason Rivers was drafted..

once he was drafted then Breeze kicked into gear..

and they had to make a decision on who they were going to keep had it not been for our safety at the time taking Breeze out with a severe shoulder injury he might still be a dolt.. God only knows where rivers may have landed maybe even in DEN..

lonestar
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Roethlisberger
Pennington
McCoy

but for those with a woody for him one way or the other scores are not going to make a big deal..

just like stats won't.

I personally do not care what the kids score was if he can learn from two HOF QB's, learn the scheme with the time he has, they surround him with protection and he is not a dumbass like DJ is ..

canadianbroncosfan
08-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Hold on, a Wolfe thread had turned into a full blown discussion of Oz? But it's the MethWolfe Alliance that ruins every Wolfe thread, right...................

UberBroncoMan
08-18-2012, 01:32 AM

NFL Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Brian Griese 39
Tony Romo 37
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Kellen Clemens 35
Tom Brady 33
Steve Young 33
John Beck 30
Philip Rivers 30
Troy Aikman 29
Brady Quinn 29
Drew Brees 28
Peyton Manning 28
Ryan Leaf 27
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Brett Favre 22

OH ****!

DENVERDUI55
08-18-2012, 01:49 AM

No mention of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

houghtam
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Hold on, a Wolfe thread had turned into a full blown discussion of Oz? But it's the MethWolfe Alliance that ruins every Wolfe thread, right...................

The Ozites are few and unorganized. One well-timed MWA max effort should drive their lot back into the shadows from whence they came.

So spaketh the scions of MethWolfe!

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2012, 07:50 AM
NFL Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Brian Griese 39
Tony Romo 37
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Kellen Clemens 35
Tom Brady 33
Steve Young 33
John Beck 30
Philip Rivers 30
Troy Aikman 29
Brady Quinn 29
Drew Brees 28
Peyton Manning 28
Ryan Leaf 27
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Brett Favre 22

OH ****!

I wonder how Eli broke the news to Peyton.

gyldenlove
08-18-2012, 12:16 PM

A lot of QBs do not strike me as particularly bright, Brett Favre seemed like he was better suited to being on a shrimping boat or manning a small gas station, Philip Rivers doesn't seem like he would win any "Most likely to complete a coherent sentence" awards, Ben Roethlisberger is not exactly eloquent, Jay Cutler has all the interpersonal skills of a wet sponge, Mark Sanchez wouldn't particularly stand out in a group of crack heads, except he would be only one who still has all his teeth and was not heavily addicted.

Some players are very eloquent and get used to the limelight and media interactions, Tim Tebow certainly did well, but then he has had years and years of experience handling that circus.

footstepsfrom#27
08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
The Wonderlic is the most overrated thing out there...it means squat.

razorwire77
08-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Marino scored a 16.

ozomulsion
08-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Oz seems to have Big Ben qualities if you ask me.

That's just crazy.

delany
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
The Wonderlic is the most overrated thing out there...it means squat.

It does means squat. Which is worth just slightly more than a guys opinion on how bright a QB is by merely watching a few interviews of a 21 yeasr old and seeing his tats from when he was a teenager.

Mr Hambone and Mr Wonderlic are entitled to their opinions. However, the bottomline is that Oz will be given the opportunity that Tebow wasn't....to sit and learn from Greatness. Brock has all the tools (yes, Ham...even the intelligence). The rest is up to him.

Drek
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I guess in 2012 I'm not going to worry about what might or might not happen in 2014. Every player drafted I would think is drafted with expectations . Brock is no different and I'm sure Elway is not looking at a worst case scenario in 2014

Best case scenario we roll from PMF to Edward and Edward may not be a top 5 but a solid starter ala Cutler and locks down the QB spot for the next 10 years

Great, if we aren't going to worry about 2014 then why didn't we take the player who makes the biggest difference in 2012 with the 2nd round pick? That would be Lavonte David.

And if Osweiler is just "solid starter" material he won't be here long. It's clear Elway wants elite QB play and will spend heavily to pursue it.

Being tall and relatively athletic for his size doesn't make him like the rapist.

Rapesburger is a thick built guy who shrugs off contact and as a result buys time in the pocket and make plays happen. Osweiler should be mobile in the pocket but he isn't going to be shrugging off contact.

I'd compare him to Flacco from a tools standpoint, but Flacco hasn't stepped up to the elite level yet himself.

Bacchus
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Some players are very eloquent and get used to the limelight and media interactions, Tim Tebow certainly did well, but then he has had years and years of experience handling that circus.

REALLY? Tebow does not seem very bright too me. He is not really that well spoken. Tends to repeat the same stuff over and over like it is rehearsed.

canadianbroncosfan
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
The Ozites are few and unorganized. One well-timed MWA max effort should drive their lot back into the shadows from whence they came.

So spaketh the scions of MethWolfe!

Agreed,

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

schaaf
08-18-2012, 11:28 PM
REALLY? Tebow does not seem very bright too me. He is not really that well spoken. Tends to repeat the same stuff over and over like it is rehearsed.

That is more of him trying to answer questions in a way that he will never offend either side, when doing that answers become bland and often repeat themselves. But I do agree that he isn't the smartest but just average intelligence

Swedish Extrovert
08-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Naw... Tebow doesn't come off as too bright.

McDman
08-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Everything he does is rehearsed. He is one giant PR move. I have no reason to feel he is not genuine about how he really is but he does kind of seem fake sometimes.

DBroncos4life
08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Naw... Tebow doesn't come off as too bright.

But at least he is excited!

CEH
08-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Great, if we aren't going to worry about 2014 then why didn't we take the player who makes the biggest difference in 2012 with the 2nd round pick? That would be Lavonte David.

And if Osweiler is just "solid starter" material he won't be here long. It's clear Elway wants elite QB play and will spend heavily to pursue it.

Sorry let me spell it out for you in black and white. You wrote

and I said I'm not going to worry about your doomsday "what if " scenerio for 2014 in 2012. Better

houghtam
08-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Why again have we sullied the face of a MethWolfe thread with treasonous talk of Oz and Teebs?

CAN'T WE ALL JUST METH ALONG?

Broncos_OTM
08-19-2012, 08:06 AM
I get what you're saying and that score isn't a big deal. Again, it's all just an impression. He just seems like a dim cheeseball. I hope it isn't the case!

anybody that uses tattoos as a metric to evaluate someone is a dim cheeseball

hambone13
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM

You obviously haven't read all my posts, Dim-Cheeze

pricejj
08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
“I haven’t arrived yet,” Wolfe said. “I’ve got to keep working.”

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/08/22/broncos-rookie-derek-wolfe-proves-a-quick-study/

Beantown Bronco
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Tattoo on the lower back? Might as well be a bullseye.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UtU2wNLAG2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>