PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts after Bears Preseason Game

Pages : 1 [2]

broncosteven
08-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Offense:

Manning looked pretty good. Still some rust and still some chemistry and timing issues. Too bad Stokely dropped that ball. But converting 3rd and 16 against the Bears defense on the road in the rain? Awesome.

The protection was outstanding. They weren't too exotic, but it was much better than when I was in camp. Man-Ram did a good job filling in for Kuper.

Caleb Hanie is the worst QB on the roster.

Brock Osweiller looked good per normal.

Adam Weber played better than he usually does in camp.

Xavier Omon - this kid looked good the last time I was in camp. I would love to see him stick over a guy like Moreno who has no power.

Jason Hill and Matt Willis did their parts to make the team.

Defense - As a whole the defense played outstanding. We bottled the run and the tackling was outstanding. I was honestly amazed at how good the tackling was with so few padded contact practices allowed.

Methwolfe was great. It was awesome to see him make some big plays and be disruptive. He needs to use his hands more, but he is powerful and explosive.

Jeremy Beal was a monster against the scrubs. That was another thing that I saw in camp.

Nate Irving - Irving played outstanding. It was great to see him show up and make some of the bigger plays.

Malik Jackson - He's my sleeper and he got a fumble recovery. Not much else, but I was happy to see him play that way.

Robert Ayers - After being slighted by the coaching staff, Ayers notched a sack and was disruptive.

Special teams - Pretty good. Prater missed that one kick, but made the rest and was booming the kickoffs. The punting unit had great coverage and did a good job pinning the Bears back. The Bears typically have outstanding special teams, so no small feat.

It was tough to find something to critique. However in the rain with some players kicking off a lot of rust, it was a great effort all around.

I was at the game,

My take aways were the following:

Manning looked like the old Manning, I have been to Indy a couple times and he looked typical, he had a good drive to start the game, even if we start games on the road up 3 or turn it over deep and get the ball back on D like we did last night we will win a lot of games.
That pass to Decker on 3rd down was sweet and the window was tight, it is nice having a real QB who can throw again.
My wife pointed out that Manning never got touched, I was proud that she noticed.
I thought the pass that was INT was behind Stokely while at the game, Stokely was about 4 yards ahead of us and it looked like he was reaching to his back shoulder but it was hard to tell where we were. Someone next to me said it was tipped, I watched the highlight and noticed that Manning had a tight window to stick it, I don't know if he will trust Stokely again like that until he proves he can make that, if Manning leads Stokley it is 6 going the other way or Stokely is laid out. I am not worried about it, glad Manning was agressive.

Jason Hill made some great plays. He seemed physical and had great hands, plus he had a nice burst in space. That TD was sweet. He was a big surprise, I wonder if he makes the team considering Del Rio brought him over.

Loved the ST coverage on Hester, they also had a great stop on a KR around the 15. Guys were flying down like it meant something. Prater had no shot on that long kick at the end of the half, the wind shifted a couple times right before the snap, he would have made it if he were going the other way.

Von Miller, Wolfe, Vickerson, and even that 1st round bust guy played well though Ayers plays came against 2nd teamers.

Bears have no depth, I wonder if Cutler doesn't get any help from his D this year like he had trouble with when we had Slowic back in 08. Nick Roach will be their Nate Webster.

Haine is a 3rd stringer. He knows how to run a huddle but his execution was bad. Who ever his Center (I took my kids and they were on the other side of the field in the 2nd Q) was getting pushed back into him and he couldn't see down field and went all Tebow Time (i.e. Ran the ball) a bunch of times but he did have a nice long drive from what I rememeber.

Oswieler was a stud, best arm of the lot, even Weber had some outs that he completed but Oswieler should be the #2 QB and if Manning went down I wouldn't be as worried as I would if we had Tebow as a BU.

I saw one of our RB's dancing in the back field and told my kids that is what you don't do, turned out it was KM. He ground out some decent carries after dancing around guys but I liked JJ much more. JJ had a couple good runs where he made his cut and turned upfield behind his blocker and had a good 10 yards, which was nice because I was explaining to my daughter how to watch the OL and the lead blocker and it unfolded in front of us and she understood. JJ (I think) had a nice pitch he had a good gain on running to the right, it was nice to see a patient back trusting his blockers.

Hard to tell much from the 1st PS game but it was good to see that Fox had the team ready and the depth players executed well. If anything there were less miscues as the game went on though there were replacement refs and hard to tell what they missed. I didn't see anything big.

We have a lot to build on, hope they keep up the progress and they get better every week.

hambone13
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks a lot man. Sometimes **** just clicks for me. :) I hope you're ready for this season! BIG TIME WINS!

It's obviously your humility that makes you so awesome! Hilarious! Damn right I'm ready. I'm MethReady!

menonite
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
man, that season 4 finale of Breaking bad was awesome. Especially the end where Walt rigged Hector Salamanca's wheelchair with weapons grade MethWolfe and blew Gus' face off.

Talk about a twist I didn't see coming.

Edit: I also didn't see that I posted this in the wrong thread. Damnit.

hambone13
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I was at the game,

My take aways were the following:

Manning looked like the old Manning, I have been to Indy a couple times and he looked typical, he had a good drive to start the game, even if we start games on the road up 3 or turn it over deep and get the ball back on D like we did last night we will win a lot of games.
That pass to Decker on 3rd down was sweet and the window was tight, it is nice having a real QB who can throw again.
My wife pointed out that Manning never got touched, I was proud that she noticed.
I thought the pass that was INT was behind Stokely while at the game, Stokely was about 4 yards ahead of us and it looked like he was reaching to his back shoulder but it was hard to tell where we were. Someone next to me said it was tipped, I watched the highlight and noticed that Manning had a tight window to stick it, I don't know if he will trust Stokely again like that until he proves he can make that, if Manning leads Stokley it is 6 going the other way or Stokely is laid out. I am not worried about it, glad Manning was agressive.

Jason Hill made some great plays. He seemed physical and had great hands, plus he had a nice burst in space. That TD was sweet. He was a big surprise, I wonder if he makes the team considering Del Rio brought him over.

Loved the ST coverage on Hester, they also had a great stop on a KR around the 15. Guys were flying down like it meant something. Prater had no shot on that long kick at the end of the half, the wind shifted a couple times right before the snap, he would have made it if he were going the other way.

Von Miller, Wolfe, Vickerson, and even that 1st round bust guy played well though Ayers plays came against 2nd teamers.

Bears have no depth, I wonder if Cutler doesn't get any help from his D this year like he had trouble with when we had Slowic back in 08. Nick Roach will be their Nate Webster.

Haine is a 3rd stringer. He knows how to run a huddle but his execution was bad. Who ever his Center (I took my kids and they were on the other side of the field in the 2nd Q) was getting pushed back into him and he couldn't see down field and went all Tebow Time (i.e. Ran the ball) a bunch of times but he did have a nice long drive from what I rememeber.

Oswieler was a stud, best arm of the lot, even Weber had some outs that he completed but Oswieler should be the #2 QB and if Manning went down I wouldn't be as worried as I would if we had Tebow as a BU.

I saw one of our RB's dancing in the back field and told my kids that is what you don't do, turned out it was KM. He ground out some decent carries after dancing around guys but I liked JJ much more. JJ had a couple good runs where he made his cut and turned upfield behind his blocker and had a good 10 yards, which was nice because I was explaining to my daughter how to watch the OL and the lead blocker and it unfolded in front of us and she understood. JJ (I think) had a nice pitch he had a good gain on running to the right, it was nice to see a patient back trusting his blockers.

Hard to tell much from the 1st PS game but it was good to see that Fox had the team ready and the depth players executed well. If anything there were less miscues as the game went on though there were replacement refs and hard to tell what they missed. I didn't see anything big.

We have a lot to build on, hope they keep up the progress and they get better every week.

Thanks for the live insight. I also thought JJ looked pretty damn good in the running game. Great post!

TD4HOF
08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Not just that it's borderline offensive but it's also incredibly stupid. Not even sorta humorous.

Retire #30!!!
08-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Me and my low post count approve methwolfe.

bronco_silverbullet
08-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I did. I said Ball is a solid rb4 that does the little things right. Omon has bounced around the league because he looks good running against scrub defenses in preseason. Who's sitting in **** now b****?

^this is what way too many people think about how the NFL works, and it's simply wrong.

A player that has bounced around the league while they are "young", usually means they are actually pretty damn good. But they either got drafted by a team that didn't really need them, or they had the bad luck of having a major coaching/staff change right after their arrival with a team. And, once you end up on practice squads....you can get tossed around for your information....not because a team actually needs you. It is TOTALLY normal for PS players to get picked off practice squads, signed to new teams and then released like 3 weeks later, because the team that signed them didn't even really need them, they just wanted playbook info.

Bottom line, players like Omon usually haven't had the chips fall the right way for them, or they'd be solid #2's on the majority of teams.

All of Denver's RB's look pretty good, with the exception of Ball. Ball is only good at taking what he's given....not a playmaker by any means. But he's "reliable".

In all honesty, the Bronco's looked fine in that first game...but the Bears looked plain bad. The rest of the pre-season games will certainly help the coaches make their decisions. Seattle may or may not look good this week....I hate Pete Carroll...so I hope they look bad. lol

DENVERDUI55
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I may be the miniority but I just rewatched the game and I'm still worried about out pass rush. Sure we got a lot of sacks but they were due to piss poor QB play in my opinion. We won't get the 4 to 5 seconds against a real QB to get those sacks. I think Elvis and Von get their job done I just hope the inside holds their end of the bargain. I thought Wolfe looked good for his first game for sure. It's only one preseason game and it doesn't show much but someone tell me I'm wrong.

bowtown
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
^this is what way too many people think about how the NFL works, and it's simply wrong.

You should ask Broncobuff how that Chris Simms tattoo is working out for him.

bronco_silverbullet
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I may be the miniority but I just rewatched the game and I'm still worried about out pass rush. Sure we got a lot of sacks but they were due to piss poor QB play in my opinion. We won't get the 4 to 5 seconds against a real QB to get those sacks. I think Elvis and Von get their job done I just hope the inside holds their end of the bargain. I thought Wolfe looked good for his first game for sure. It's only one preseason game and it doesn't show much but someone tell me I'm wrong.

Agreed. VonDOOM will be fine, actually better than fine. But the Bears o-line was ugly bad. After game 3 we'll have a much better idea what we've really got in that department.