PDA

View Full Version : Elway: Peyton is two Super Bowls away from being the best ever

Bronco Rob
08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
John Elway thinks Peyton Manning has what it takes to go down in history as the greatest quarterback in the history of football. But to accomplish that, Elway needs to put the right team around Manning.

In Elway’s opinion, if Manning were to close out his career by winning two Super Bowls as the Broncos’ quarterback — the same way Elway closed out his own Hall of Fame career — that would be enough for Manning to be considered the best ever.

“Winning championships, that’s the only way,” Elway told NFL Network’s Albert Breer. “If he wins two more championships, he’ll be, without a doubt, the greatest quarterback ever to play the game.”

Of course, Elway knows that Manning can only do so much to ensure that he’ll win two Super Bowls. When Elway finally won his two Super Bowls in his 15th and 16th NFL seasons after falling short so many times earlier in his career, it wasn’t because Elway was better than he had been in his first 14 years in the league. It was because the Broncos built a better team around him. Likewise, if Manning wins two Super Bowls with the Broncos, it will be partially a testament to his own greatness as a quarterback, but also a testament to Elway’s work as an executive.

Manning has already won a record four regular-season MVP awards. If he were to come back from a year away and win a fifth MVP in Denver, he’d have a good case for being the best quarterback ever regardless of what happened in the playoffs. But Elway is correct that quarterbacks are remembered to such a large extent for their teams’ success or failure in the playoffs that Manning probably can’t go down in history as the best ever as long as he has only one Super Bowl ring. And he probably will go down in history as the best ever if he retires with three Super Bowl rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/09/elway-peyton-is-two-super-bowls-away-from-being-the-best-ever/

skunk
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
didnt read a single word

Pick Six
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
He, at least, needs to tie his brother for number of rings...

Taco John
08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I completely agree with this and have been making the same argument on poker nights with my buddies. And for the most part, they have a hard time arguing otherwise.

Agamemnon
08-09-2012, 01:52 PM
If he can win two Super Bowls with this roster in the next three or four years I'll certainly rank him as the greatest ever. I mean that would be a miracle of Biblical proportions to be honest...

Denver Bronco56
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
With is numbers which will only get better with a couple more years, any additional rings would seal the deal... the main argument agains Manning was his SB wins.... never an issue with production.

errand
08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
If he can win two Super Bowls with this roster in the next three or four years I'll certainly rank him as the greatest ever. I mean that would be a miracle of Biblical proportions to be honest...

....well considering who you think could have, i like his odds

bronco militia
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
he's going into the HOF, who ****ing cares?

Greatspirits
08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
My goal/fantasy/dream is they make the playoffs this year, then Peyton comes back and wins back to back Super Bowls ala Elway and retires off to the sunset. He will definitely be considered one of the best if not "The" best quarterback ever!!

DomCasual
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
John Elway thinks Peyton Manning has what it takes to go down in history as the greatest quarterback in the history of football. But to accomplish that, Elway needs to put the right team around Manning.

In Elway’s opinion, if Manning were to close out his career by winning two Super Bowls as the Broncos’ quarterback — the same way Elway closed out his own Hall of Fame career — that would be enough for Manning to be considered the best ever.

“Winning championships, that’s the only way,” Elway told NFL Network’s Albert Breer. “If he wins two more championships, he’ll be, without a doubt, the greatest quarterback ever to play the game.”

Of course, Elway knows that Manning can only do so much to ensure that he’ll win two Super Bowls. When Elway finally won his two Super Bowls in his 15th and 16th NFL seasons after falling short so many times earlier in his career, it wasn’t because Elway was better than he had been in his first 14 years in the league. It was because the Broncos built a better team around him. Likewise, if Manning wins two Super Bowls with the Broncos, it will be partially a testament to his own greatness as a quarterback, but also a testament to Elway’s work as an executive.

Manning has already won a record four regular-season MVP awards. If he were to come back from a year away and win a fifth MVP in Denver, he’d have a good case for being the best quarterback ever regardless of what happened in the playoffs. But Elway is correct that quarterbacks are remembered to such a large extent for their teams’ success or failure in the playoffs that Manning probably can’t go down in history as the best ever as long as he has only one Super Bowl ring. And he probably will go down in history as the best ever if he retires with three Super Bowl rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/09/elway-peyton-is-two-super-bowls-away-from-being-the-best-ever/

I might argue with the statement I bolded. He was a smarter quarterback in those years, and you could argue that that made him a better quarterback. I don't think he had lost much, physically; but he definitely gained a lot, mentally. Of course, the offensive system allowed him to play smarter, as well. It relied less on the physical dramatics. Plus, replacing a bunch of 3rd and 15s with a bunch of 3rd and 1s didn't hurt, either.

Man, I love me some John Elway.

ColoradoDarin
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
John Elway - master motivator. John's a competitor, absolutely hates to lose (pool table...) and he knows that Peyton is one too. This is to light a fire right under him just before the season starts - not that I think he needs it, but it can't hurt. We're going to see the Broncos win a Superbowl the next couple of years if it kills Manning.

Lestat
08-09-2012, 06:18 PM
i'm good with plan A. at least two super bowl wins.

Jay3
08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I think I would have stuck with one Super Bowl. No QB has ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different teams. Elway should have been non-specific in his wording, and just said if he can win the championship here, late in his career with the Broncos, he'll be the best ever.

Two just makes me think "but what about just one?" And I picture Elway going "NO! Then he would not be the best ever!!"

BroncsRule
08-10-2012, 07:20 AM
There are several QB's with 2 rings.. more than 2, that's a much shorter list, and Aikman and Bradshaw get marked down on most folks' 'best evaaarr" lists because, although they are quite good QB's, they are generally thought to have been greatly aided by the strength of their supporting casts (why this doesn't apply to Joe Montanna I will never know).

That's probably where John was coming from. You get that 3rd ring, you start to separate yourself from the pack.

Of course, Tom Brady further muddies the water: Will Peyton even be remembered as the best QB of his era, let alone best of all time?

But it would be sweet if he can become the first to win multiple championships with multiple teams.

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Its really starting to look like we should have brought Elway in to run the team years ago.

CEH
08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Its really starting to look like we should have brought Elway in to run the team years ago.

I agree but you'd be watching Jay Cutler for sure. The whole McD error just plained sucked

Bronco Rob
08-10-2012, 01:48 PM

This!

:strong:

Circle Orange
08-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Hype much, John? Ask Terry Bradshaw if having rings is enough. I know hoo when I hear it.

lonestar
08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I agree but you'd be watching Jay Cutler for sure. The whole McD era just plain sucked

Just about as much as the last decade of Tanahan did..

Save for up to the AFCCG we had one season worth a crap when it comes down to was it a good season or not.. Winning in the playoffs..

And we all know just how bad we got our asses kicked in that game..

He should have resigned after that debacle..

Just maybe we would have had some decent rounds 1-3 talent left on the team at this point....

Bronco Yoda
08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out... I'd take Elway over PM any day in their prime. PM may be a smarter QB but John was always a more complete weapon who could also do damage with his feet. ... And John had that magic.

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out...

I do. :)

BroncoBeavis
08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
There are several QB's with 2 rings.. more than 2, that's a much shorter list, and Aikman and Bradshaw get marked down on most folks' 'best evaaarr" lists because, although they are quite good QB's, they are generally thought to have been greatly aided by the strength of their supporting casts (why this doesn't apply to Joe Montanna I will never know).

That's probably where John was coming from. You get that 3rd ring, you start to separate yourself from the pack.

Of course, Tom Brady further muddies the water: Will Peyton even be remembered as the best QB of his era, let alone best of all time?

But it would be sweet if he can become the first to win multiple championships with multiple teams.

Or what if Marino had two rings? Best ever? Possibly. Best of his generation? As a Broncos fan, I'd probably homer it and say no, but almost everyone else would say yes.

I think the rule is it's hard to be in the GOAT debate without rings, but rings don't automatically put you in the debate.

Needless to say though if PM ****s the bed in Denver, he's still in that discussion. People will just write any future failure off on his neck issues.

NFLBRONCO
08-13-2012, 11:41 AM

QFT

It sure seems that way more and more everyday. The day we fired Shanny should have been when Bowlen made the move with John.

NFLBRONCO
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out... I'd take Elway over PM any day in their prime. PM may be a smarter QB but John was always a more complete weapon who could also do damage with his feet. ... And John had that magic.

I 100% agree on John vs Peyton.

I want a ring in Manning era at least or its a failure. At least the Manning era should make Bronco football way more exciting and more about football itself . Less about off the field greatness or college days greatness we had recently.

tsiguy96
08-13-2012, 11:56 AM
i think you can already make a case for manning being the best regular season QB of all time. he hasnt been money in the playoffs though, and now he has a chance to change that here.

Bronco Yoda
08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I do. :)

ok, you got me there thwack. Bad choice of words...

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2012, 12:16 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k9oyGK23ohE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom A Hawk
08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Manning is already the best ever....who is better overall?
No, not Elway.........who?

jerseyboiler120
08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
2 more for PM would be unbelievably amazing.

Kaylore
08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Manning is already the best ever....who is better overall?
No, not Elway.........who?

You could make a strong case for Montana, Otto Graham and Elway.

Mogulseeker
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
You could make a strong case for Montana, Otto Graham and Elway.

Graham is underrated because of his time - just like comparing Elway's stats to todays NFL.

If we're including greats of their time, Sammy Baugh should be on that list, too.

BroncsRule
08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I usually break NFL history in half at 'the merger".. The "pre Super Bowl Era" had some impressive players, but the game was so different. If you're gonna go all Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh, then you gotta include Johnny U.

Peyton is already in the discussion. So is Brady. And they've both got 3-5 years left.

The interesting thing to me is how many really, really good QB's are playing right now. Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Matt Stafford all threw for 5,000 yards last year. Eli Manning almost did. And none of them is even qualified to carry Aaron Rodgers' jock. And Peyton didn't even play. Cam Newton will most likely improve this year. Andrew Luck & RGIII are 2 of the best looking rookie prospects in years. And then there are scumbags like Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Vick who can really play when healthy.