PDA

View Full Version : Broncos camp report: Eternals Bailey, Manning have it covered

Gutless Drunk
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19746455/broncos-camp-report-eternals-bailey-manning-have-it-covered-on-both-sides/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Maybe the most physically gifted athlete in NFL history sits humbly, smiling. There are no proclamations of greatness. He doesn't need them. No cockiness, no smart ass-ness. Not his style. Just Champ Bailey talking football.

Or, more to the point, longevity. The fact that Bailey has played the corner position, still covering the opposition's best receiver, week in and week out, remains one of the most incredible stories football has ever seen. It's difficult to quantify but Bailey joins an elite and small group that covered the best receiving weapons, one-on-one, well into his 30s, and at a Pro Bowl level.

One was Washington's Darrell Green, who played into his late 30s and until the day he retired covered the best receiving option. There are a few others, like Willie Brown, but what Bailey is doing might surpass even those Hall of Famers. As Bailey has aged, the speed of the game has changed dramatically. He's covering faster receivers than Green or Brown ever did, but still staying with them, stride for stride.

Bailey is also dealing with rules changes that cause a defensive back to be flagged if a pinky grazes a shoulder pad. The football world Bailey still dominates is more complex than the ones his aged and skilled predecessors played in.

"I remember five years ago people told me since I was getting to my 30s that I'd be retiring soon," the 34-year-old Bailey said in an interview. "Well, here I am."

Here he is, indeed. While Peyton Manning may be the story of the Denver Broncos, it is Bailey, again, who is the non-aging centerpiece. Receivers have come and gone. Corners have come and gone. So have NFL commissioners, presidents, space stations and sitcoms. The Earth has warmed, oceans have risen, dynasties have fallen ... all during Bailey's career, which started in 1999.

Bailey has stayed indestructible while still possessing incredible speed. He denied what a teammate told me, that Bailey plans to play two more years and then retire.

"I'm planning year to year," he said. "Right now I feel too good to think about retiring."

Maybe the best way to describe what Bailey has done is let another eternal do it for him.

"I played against Champ three years in college, and so I remember him as a true freshman at Georgia," Manning said. "I remember how talented he was, and you just knew he was going to be a good player. I played against him my second year in Indy when he was with the Redskins, so I was telling somebody that the other day -- they're like, 'Champ played for the Redskins, and you played against him?' It's just like forever ago, I guess. But I think it's pretty well documented that every time I've played against him, you always get asked about Champ, and he's the best corner I've played against in my career, and he's been unbelievably consistent.

"I've played the Broncos a number of times, and he always shows up, he's always ready to go. He presents an intense matchup problem. Champ has never intercepted me in the NFL, but I don't think I've ever thrown a touchdown on him either, so it's a pretty good battle. He got me in college one time on an interception, so I'm glad we're on the same team. [The Colts] always had healthy respect for Champ. We never threw away from a certain guy because we felt like we loved our receivers. With Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne], we're going to throw to those guys, but you always knew where Champ was. If you couldn't set your feet into it, it wasn't worth throwing. If you threw behind him, he was going to make you pay. ..."

And here he is ... again.
Team Objectives

Protect Manning. The main objective. The most necessary. The most obvious. What I'm told by some on the Broncos is this: They're not worried necessarily about that one huge hit on Manning somehow destabilizing his intricate and various neck surgeries. They are worried about repeated, smaller hits. Hell, the Broncos might max protect every play for the first part of the season. That's an exaggeration but you get the point. The team will do everything it can to keep Manning in one piece.

Kill the legend of Tim Tebow. I've heard this from several players. It's not said with animosity or jealousy but there is a segment of the team, not a small one, that felt Tebow was all about Tebow and both he and the media forgot that other segments of the team (emphasis on team) helped push the Broncos to the playoffs. The players who say this aren't nave. They know that if the Broncos win, Manning will get the credit. But to them, Manning is a Hall of Famer who can actually, well, throw the ball. And has a track record of greatness.

Let Jack Del Rio do his thing. As a coach in Jacksonville, he had his faults, but overall Del Rio is smart and a solid defensive mind. Del Rio and coach John Fox will make a formidable duo on the defensive side of the ball. Plus, Del Rio has more weapons to work with in Denver than he did in Jacksonville.
Camp Battles

Backup quarterback: The biggest of the battles. Caleb Hanie and Adam Weber are fighting to back up Manning. Normally, before Manning's surgeries, the backup had a doctorate in clipboard holding. Now it's different. Hanie will likely win the battle.
Somebody to Watch

Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas. Quite simply, a freaking beast. Manning will use Thomas as his Broncos version of Marvin Harrison (but not Eric Decker, who is also quite good). "Demaryius is a guy that we are going to feature," Manning said. "His size and strength and speed just [allow] you to do certain things with him that other players just can't do." Thomas is part of a Broncos receiving group that could be formidable because it's fast and Manning is so accurate with his throws.
Injury Roundup

Decker has a strained groin (hate when that happens) and joins a number of receivers who are fighting nagging injuries. D'Andre Goodwin has a foot issue and Tyler Grisham has a hurt knee.

RB Mario Fannin tore his Achilles tendon in the Broncos' first scrimmage.
The Final Word

The conventional thinking about the Broncos goes like this: If they made the playoffs last year with a quarterback who can't throw in a straight line, imagine what they'll do with Manning. There is a great deal of truth to this. Who knows how many wins a healthy Manning can generate, but it's not an insignificant number. One NFL scout believes Manning, alone, is worth nine victories to the Broncos. Could be right. If Manning stays upright (a significant if) that conventional wisdom could easily come true.

Houshyamama
08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
When Champ finally hangs up his cleats, he will be on the short list of greatest corners who ever played the game and will hopefully have a legitimate argument for being considered the one and only greatest.

cmhargrove
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
When Champ finally hangs up his cleats, he will be on the short list of greatest corners who ever played the game and will hopefully have a legitimate argument for being considered the one and only greatest.

Wouldn't it be awesome to see him add "Super Bowl Champion" to his resume?

errand
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Darrell Green could cover any of today's fastest WR's back in his days......he was that fast...and that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL911BC7AC790677FE&v=a9Hy5NJyqYg&feature=player_detailpage

lonestar
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Darrell Green could cover any of today's fastest WR's back in his days......he was that fast...and that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL911BC7AC790677FE&v=a9Hy5NJyqYg&feature=player_detailpage

he was one of the greatest CB ever.. played till he was 42 IIRC and was again IIRC the fastest guy in the NFL for 4-5 years straight..

broncogary
08-07-2012, 05:57 PM
D'andre Goodwin has a foot issue alright. He's on IR.

Bacchus
08-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Him, Deon and Willie Brown maybe Mike Haynes. Rod Woodson overrated, Lester Hayes Overrated.

EDIT and Green of course.

Bacchus
08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
It used to be discussed whether or not Champ would go into the HOF as a Bronco or a Redskin. I think it is obvious now that he is going in as a Bronco, isn't it?

I'm hoping he plays two more years at CB and then 3 years after that at safety. That would be greatness.

cmhargrove
08-07-2012, 06:25 PM
It used to be discussed whether or not Champ would go into the HOF as a Bronco or a Redskin. I think it is obvious now that he is going in as a Bronco, isn't it?

I'm hoping he plays two more years at CB and then 3 years after that at safety. That would be greatness.

It's another reason to pray for Manning's continued health and progress. If we have a highly competitive team, I could see Champ hanging around for 4 more years. If the Manning thing falls apart and we rebuild in 2 years, I think he would probably hang em up.

ZONA
08-07-2012, 06:36 PM

I don't know. The only way he surpasses Dion as the greatest CB ever is if he were to get a ring. He needs that ring.

Houshyamama
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't know. The only way he surpasses Dion as the greatest CB ever is if he were to get a ring. He needs that ring.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Missouribronc
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM

I don't think it's just about speed. Bailey doesn't have the speed Dion and Green had, but he was fast enough and a whole lot more physical.

He's a top 5 corner, no doubt.

GoHAM
08-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Champ may not be better than Sanders as a pure cover corner, but as far as being a complete shut down corner? Champ is hands down the best ever all around cornerback.

Champ doesn't make "business decisions".

hookemhess
08-07-2012, 09:14 PM

I'm fairly certain he'll go in as a Bronco. He's been here twice as long as he was in Washington and still playing.

Missouribronc
08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm fairly certain he'll go in as a Bronco. He's been here twice as long as he was in Washington and still playing.

Pro football players aren't inducted as a member of a particular team.

tsiguy96
08-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Pro football players aren't inducted as a member of a particular team.

but its unofficially recognized, and a big reason players sign an honorary? (cant think of the word but it starts with C) contract to retire as a part of a specific team.

Missouribronc
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
but its unofficially recognized, and a big reason players sign an honorary? (cant think of the word but it starts with C) contract to retire as a part of a specific team.

That has little to do with the HOF. Just sentimentalism.

baja
08-07-2012, 09:32 PM

While that may be true in some people's minds it is a completely arbitrary and irrelevant event in the question of the greatness of the player.

tsiguy96
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM

thats why i said unofficially recognized. or else they wouldnt do it.

Houshyamama
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
While that may be true in some people's minds it is a completely arbitrary and irrelevant event in the question of the greatness of the player.

Yeah, but I think we're talking about universal recognition here.

baja
08-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but I think we're talking about universal recognition here.

Well I think it's stupid.

A case can be made that because (any great player) played on lesser teams it made what he did even more remarkable because he had no supporting cast to play off of.

Houshyamama
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Well I think it's stupid.

A case can be made that because (any great player) played on lesser teams it made what he did even more remarkable because he had no supporting cast to play off of.

Stupid as it may be, it's definitely a part of the conversation.

Jetmeck
08-08-2012, 04:08 AM
I don't think it's just about speed. Bailey doesn't have the speed Dion and Green had, but he was fast enough and a whole lot more physical.

He's a top 5 corner, no doubt.

dunno about that...............he closes on the ball beter than anybody......

Jekyll15Hyde
08-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Kill the legend of Tim Tebow. I've heard this from several players. It's not said with animosity or jealousy but there is a segment of the team, not a small one, that felt Tebow was all about Tebow and both he and the media forgot that other segments of the team (emphasis on team) helped push the Broncos to the playoffs. The players who say this aren't nave.

I enjoyed this nugget.

Que Beavis and friends in 3....2....1...

tsiguy96
08-08-2012, 07:11 AM
i am pretty sure that tebow never fell into that trap. the pure media phenomenon surrounding tebow may have given those guys the perception that tebow became that way. he doesnt make the media follow him and cover him more than anyone else in the NFL, he doesnt act like chad johnson and try to encourage it.

BroncoBeavis
08-08-2012, 07:27 AM
i am pretty sure that tebow never fell into that trap. the pure media phenomenon surrounding tebow may have given those guys the perception that tebow became that way. he doesnt make the media follow him and cover him more than anyone else in the NFL, he doesnt act like chad johnson and try to encourage it.

I love some douchebag reporter using an article about Champ to take a shot at Tebow.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7771007/champ-bailey-denver-broncos-says-tim-tebow-wants-new-york-jets-starting-job

Not surprisingly, the Jets' acquisition of Tebow was a hot topic among the players, with Bailey predicting that Tebowmania will be bigger in New York than it was in Denver.

"Just roll with it, you can't stop it," he said, offering advice to Tebow's new teammates. "The one thing that made it easy to deal with was the way he handled it. He handled it with a lot of class, very professional. I love him to death. He's a great kid. I wish him the best. Whatever he gets, he deserves."

The Jets have emphasized that Sanchez is their starting quarterback, and that Tebow is the backup and will be used in a Wildcat package. Bailey said Tebow never would complain about his role, but he aspires to be more than a situational player.

"I think he'll do it," Bailey said. "Will he like doing it for the rest of his career? I don't think so. I think this is a short-term thing. The guy will be a starter at some point, whether it's here or somewhere else, because he's going to work to get it done."

Jekyll: "Tebow's a FULLBACK!"

Champ: "Derrrrrrrrp."

peacepipe
08-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the players in the locker room knew TT alot better than you or me. I would take their word over the media or anyonelse for that matter on what tebow is like. How a person portrays himself in public vs private are 2 differant things.

Tombstone RJ
08-08-2012, 07:39 AM

tell that to Zimmerman.

Tombstone RJ
08-08-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the players in the locker room knew TT alot better than you or me. I would take their word over the media or anyonelse for that matter on what tebow is like. How a person portrays himself in public vs private are 2 differant things.

::)

whatever. It's not like those guys in the locker room have any objectivity in their opinion, right? TT lives an impeccable life, just because he doesn't yell and scream at the media to get away from him ala Ryan Leaf means absolutely nothing.

with people like you, TT is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

peacepipe
08-08-2012, 08:21 AM
::)

whatever. It's not like those guys in the locker room have any objectivity in their opinion, right? TT lives an impeccable life, just because he doesn't yell and scream at the media to get away from him ala Ryan Leaf means absolutely nothing.

with people like you, TT is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

All I said was the players know him lot better than you or me. I'm sorry if that doesn't jive with how you percieve tebow.

TonyR
08-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I love some douchebag reporter using an article about Champ to take a shot at Tebow.

The article isn't just about Champ. It's also about Manning and the Broncos in general. And how is a reporter a "douchebag" for reporting what he learned from observing a team and talking to players? Is it maybe because you don't like what he reported? Maybe?

Tombstone RJ
08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
All I said was the players know him lot better than you or me. I'm sorry if that doesn't jive with how you percieve tebow.

LOL

yah, ok. I guess you DIDN'T say this: How a person portrays himself in public vs private are 2 differant things.

but whatever, fine. peace-out.

peacepipe
08-08-2012, 08:32 AM
LOL

yah, ok. I guess you DIDN'T say this: How a person portrays himself in public vs private are 2 differant things.

but whatever, fine. peace-out.OK, so you bought into his hype. I didn't. what your teammates say about you is more telling than how you show yourself to the public.

Tombstone RJ
08-08-2012, 08:35 AM
OK, so you bought into his hype. I didn't. what your teammates say about you is more telling than how you show yourself to the public.

Translation: TT is damed if he does and damned if he doesn't. Oh and I'm gonna completely ignore what Champ says: "Just roll with it, you can't stop it," he said, offering advice to Tebow's new teammates. "The one thing that made it easy to deal with was the way he handled it. He handled it with a lot of class, very professional. I love him to death. He's a great kid. I wish him the best. Whatever he gets, he deserves."

BroncoBeavis
08-08-2012, 08:42 AM
The article isn't just about Champ. It's also about Manning and the Broncos in general. And how is a reporter a "douchebag" for reporting what he learned from observing a team and talking to players? Is it maybe because you don't like what he reported? Maybe?

Yeah, Totalz. Like last summer when the same guy reported that Denver would have a hard time trading Tebow, even though nobody was really talking about trading him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/31455865

Guy totally doesn't blow smoke for klix. Click jockies are the last people on earth you should trust for the "inside" scoop. If they can't quote a player or exec by name, you can just assume they probably made it up. Or twisted something so far that it's the same thing as making it up.

Crushaholic
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree that he probably needs a ring, to cement his HOF credentials. As it is now, he's the best CB who's ever played under the CURRENT pass coverage rules. CBs, today, have to CLOSELY monitor their proximity to the receiver, so they aren't touched. Champ doesn't get flagged for many PIs...

BroncoBeavis
08-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I agree that he probably needs a ring, to cement his HOF credentials. As it is now, he's the best CB who's ever played under the CURRENT pass coverage rules. CBs, today, have to CLOSELY monitor their proximity to the receiver, so they aren't touched. Champ doesn't get flagged for many PIs...

Dude is already a HOF lock. Ring or no.

cutthemdown
08-08-2012, 10:44 AM

No way. Champ is already a 1st or 2nd ballot HOF considering the CB already in. He easily is right there with some recent Dback into the HOF. Mike Haynes, Darryl Green and Rod Woodson.

baja
08-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Are you saying Champ won't get into the HOF without a ring, are you brain dead?

Jekyll15Hyde
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Jekyll: "Tebow's a 1st string punt protector!"

Champ: "Derrrrrrrrp."

FYP... But you were at least right on queue.

BroncoBeavis
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
And John Elway was a mediocre punter. Am I missing anything?