PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rumors: Miami Dolphins May Trade QB Matt Moore to Denver Broncos

Bronco Rob
08-06-2012, 11:38 PM
has been recently rumored that Miami Dolphins‘ QB Matt Moore could be traded soon. This tweet suggests the Denver Broncos may be a making spot for Moore…

Another rumor recently was that Broncos QB Brock Osweiler was the #2 quarterback in Denver. If this is true then QB Caleb Hanie must not be very good considering the Broncos are choosing Osweiler over Hanie. I’m not saying Osweiler doesn’t have potential, but he is a rookie and the Broncos need a dependable veteran backing up Peyton Manning.

If the Moore rumor is true and the Dolphins are shopping him, then yes, I hope the Broncos do go after Moore if it is possible. Moore would boost the competition in Denver and I feel he would give the Broncos a better chance of winning if Manning was to go down with an injury.

http://www.rantsports.com/denver-broncos/2012/08/06/nfl-rumors-miami-dolphins-may-trade-qb-matt-moore-to-denver-broncos/

Missouribronc
08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Really?

Rantsports.com?

I'd believe bleacherreport before them. And as to Silva...he tends to not know a damn thing about teams outside of New York. Good follow for general NFL news, but he shouldn't be breaking down teams west of the Mississippi.

Rolandftw
08-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I'd be happy if it was true. Hanie is terrible, and Moore would be a massive upgrade. I would hope if true, Denver wouldn't give up much for him tho as Moore is probably only worth a late round pick.

Ziggy
08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Unless the Broncos plan on carrying 3 QB's it makes no sense. Manning and Osweiller on the active roster and Weber on the practice squad again fits nicely.

Agamemnon
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
He's better than Hanie. I'll say that much. But then again I'm 99% certain Osweiler would be better than Hanie as well.

razorwire77
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Considering that Brock is a rookie project and that Hanie and Weber have both largely sucked ass in camp, it seems like a pretty good idea to pony up a 6th rounder for Moore.

extralife
08-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Makes some sense, I guess. I actually think the Dolphins should start him, but that doesn't seem likely. He played pretty well last year.

Traveler
08-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Moreno for Moore?

cutthemdown
08-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Moreno for Moore?

I wouldn't do that. I think Moreno can have a role in the backfield. Most likely at this point it would be a draft pick. Hopefully no more then a 5th

OrangeCrush2724
08-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Moore Is listed third on their dept chart. 1) Garrard 2) Tannahill

Drek
08-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Unless the Broncos plan on carrying 3 QB's it makes no sense. Manning and Osweiller on the active roster and Weber on the practice squad again fits nicely.

#3 QB is effectively a "freebie" roster spot under the new rules and given Manning's health concerns we'll make use of it.

Weber isn't doing any better in camp than Hanie by most accounts, neither one looks like 53 man roster material.

Osweiler meanwhile only had one real season of starting in college and is now having his throwing motion tweaked. He's just about the last guy we want to rush on the field should Manning miss some time. Kid needs to be kept on the shelf for at least one or two whole seasons.

If we can get Matt Moore for a reasonable price (4th rounder or less) we should jump on that in a heartbeat. He would be one of the better backups in the league.

RhymesayersDU
08-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Would Matt Moore lead us anywhere meaningful should Manning go down? If not, put in Hanie, Big O, or Weber. Don't see a point in trading away draft picks for the backup spot, unless our team is so loaded that we can still win. Are we? I'm not sure.

cutthemdown
08-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Would Matt Moore lead us anywhere meaningful should Manning go down? If not, put in Hanie, Big O, or Weber. Don't see a point in trading away draft picks for the backup spot, unless our team is so loaded that we can still win. Are we? I'm not sure.

Well when you are in charge you might be thinking Manning goes down for 2-3 games, if you can win 1 of them you are still in it. Manning comes back, you make playoffs. Not everything is preparing for a season ending, or career ending scenario.

Ray Finkle
08-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Moore > Hanie.....

socalorado
08-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Moore > Hanie.....

Agreed. What did they give Hanie in the offseason?
Jeez, wasnt it like 6 Mil?

Bacchus
08-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Matt Moore is a pretty good QB. He could help for a three game stretch if Manning were to go down. Hanie is not the answer and Oz is unrelieable at this point. Moore would be a great addition but I would hate to see the Broncois give up a draft pick for him.

BroncoInferno
08-07-2012, 07:27 AM
This would be a great move. Moore is a decent QB, about the best quality you can hope for with a backup.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Not sure about the source but Moore would obviously be an upgrade at QB if churning the bottom of the roster. But I don't know that it makes much sense, though. They'd have to really dislike what they've seen out of Hanie and want to better insure the position should Manning go down. I've only been reading online accounts of camp, so is he really that bad?

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-07-2012, 07:33 AM
As for the asking price (not sure what's been thrown around) - doesn't a 6th feel pretty reasonable for such an upgrade?

Ray Finkle
08-07-2012, 07:36 AM

nope, he's cheap:

Contract:2 yr(s) / $2,250,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary $1,125,000

JLesSPE
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
they said on 104.3 that Hanie's contract isn't guaranteed so he could be cut at no cost other than what he's already been paid

Kaylore
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Did you guys actually click the link? Some guy tweeted that he heard the Dolphins are shopping Moore and he "thinks the Broncos would be a good fit." The writer references the tweet and incorrectly says that Osweiller is number two on the depth chart so he "hopes the Broncos go after Moore." That is what this entire thread is based off of. One guy tweets that he thinks the Broncos should get Moore and we're debating it like it's happening, even floating what compensation they're going to get.

Get this Rant Sports crap out of here. And the rest of you need to wake up.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Actually, now that I've taken the time to read the post on rantsports, it looks as though this is sourced through a Dolphins beat writer from the Palm Beach Post. Looks to be pretty reliable and not just some scrub on the Internets. Count me in.

Also - how big are Matt Moore's hands in that photo? That looks like a pee-wee ball.

Agamemnon
08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Not sure about the source but Moore would obviously be an upgrade at QB if churning the bottom of the roster. But I don't know that it makes much sense, though. They'd have to really dislike what they've seen out of Hanie and want to better insure the position should Manning go down. I've only been reading online accounts of camp, so is he really that bad?

Do you honestly think they've liked what they've seen out of Hanie?

canadianbroncosfan
08-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Someone tweeted it, it must be true

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
More from the original source of this rumor:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/08/06/miami-dolphins-talking-points-matt-moore-wont-be-cut-and-isnt-going-anywhere-for-now/

Just Sunday afternoon, a reader asked me on Twitter, “What are the chances Moore is gone after friday if he underperforms? wouldnt sooner be better than later so there is more reps?”
Let’s stop right there. Moore isn’t going anywhere any time soon. And he certainly won’t be cut.
In Friday’s report, we wrote “the likeliest scenario has Tannehill serving in the No. 3 role this year,” and that “multiple league sources said Tannehill’s play speed slowed down considerably when he faced the starters during spring workouts.”
Even in Saturday’s scrimmage, in which Tannehill displayed impressive athleticism and arm strength, he only played against the backups. The Dolphins don’t want to rush Tannehill’s development, and he will likely need a few months, if not the whole season, to catch up to the speed of NFL defenses.
But the Dolphins also “have considered every contingency,” as we wrote, and are leaving open the possibility that Tannehill kills it in the preseason. If he shows he’s ready to play sooner than later, “it could make Moore or Garrard expendable.”
But “expendable” doesn’t mean Moore will be cut. He has way too much value for the Dolphins to just set him free. Moore is only 28, has a 13-12 record as a starter (6-6 last year), had a healthy 16-9 touchdown-to-interception ratio and 87.1 quarterback rating last year, has a reasonable $2.75 million salary and proved that he can come off the bench and win ballgames.
The most likely course of action for the Dolphins is to hold onto Moore as insurance for Garrard, who missed all of last season with a back injury and is no guarantee to stay healthy, but potentially look to trade Moore for a mid-round pick before the trade deadline (which is Week 8 this year). Moore’s trade value will be low early in training camp, but it could skyrocket at the end of preseason or early in the regular season if a team gets desperate at quarterback.
The Dolphins also have to consider getting value for Moore instead of letting him walk away as a free agent at the end of the season. But there’s no reason to cut him for nothing. He still has a ton of value as the backup.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-07-2012, 07:50 AM
But that's as far as I prefer to dive into Rantsports. There are some wild-ass columns on there, including one suggesting Brooking as the full-time replacement at LB.

Kaylore
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Where does it say the Broncos are interested? All this concludes is the Dolphins "should try and trade him" for value reasons. The Broncos interest was floated by the tweet.

BroncoBeavis
08-07-2012, 08:16 AM

I don't know that they ever published a number. I'd be pretty floored if they paid him that much.

edit: Rotoworld has him at 2 years with $1m this year and $1.25 next. Not sure if any of that 2nd year money is guaranteed or not.

RhymesayersDU
08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Well when you are in charge you might be thinking Manning goes down for 2-3 games, if you can win 1 of them you are still in it. Manning comes back, you make playoffs. Not everything is preparing for a season ending, or career ending scenario.

Fair point, I'm clearly fixated on Manning's neck and a worst-case scenario.

Bronc62
08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Moreno for Moore?

I was thinking D.J. Williams (U Miami guy) & maybe a late round draft pick considering the 6-game suspension.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I'd be happy if it was true. Hanie is terrible, and Moore would be a massive upgrade. I would hope if true, Denver wouldn't give up much for him tho as Moore is probably only worth a late round pick.

^^^ This

You'd better hope it's true, because unless you're wearing Homer Goggles, Osweiler doesn't take a meaningful snap for at least two years.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I was thinking D.J. Williams (U Miami guy) & maybe a late round draft pick considering the 6-game suspension.

The Dolphins will want something to build with.

Draft pick(s) or a younger player... and KNOT KNOWSHOW. Ha!

SportinOne
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
they'll want something to build with for a 3rd quarterback? send them a few gift cards to Elways

Hercules Rockefeller
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
The Dolphins will want something to build with.

Draft pick(s) or a younger player... and KNOT KNOWSHOW. Ha!

Seriously? You think the Dolphins are going to get something to build with for a pending UFA that they have no intention of re-signing?

Moore is a backup QB and he'd be an insurance policy for anyone who trades for him, he's not going anywhere to start. He'll bring a late round pick or a depth player at a different position.

That being said, there's nothing that links him to the Broncos.

mwill07
08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Seriously? You think the Dolphins are going to get something to build with for a pending UFA that they have no intention of re-signing?

Moore is a backup QB and he'd be an insurance policy for anyone who trades for him, he's not going anywhere to start. He'll bring a late round pick or a depth player at a different position.

as soon as some team has a starter go down, Moore's value will dramatically increase. He is a viable starter in this league that can win games. I'd put him roughly equivalent in the Skelton/Yates tier - someone that can come in off of the bench and win games. Do you want him as a 16 game starter? of course not. But, I'd rather have him than, say, Charlie Whitehurst or Ricky Stanzi starting an extended number of games.

Sounds to me like Mia is seeking a 4th rounder, based on RVJ's palm Beach Post link.

socalorado
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't know that they ever published a number. I'd be pretty floored if they paid him that much.

edit: Rotoworld has him at 2 years with $1m this year and $1.25 next. Not sure if any of that 2nd year money is guaranteed or not.

Oooh! Some good news!
At least Hanie is cheap.

Wes Mantooth
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Moore > Hanie.....

understatement

Traveler
08-07-2012, 10:27 AM

The only reason I could see him somehow linked to the Broncos is that he was a QB for Carolina when JF was there. It would make sense to bring him in since he is a step above Hanie.

As for Miami receiving draft compensation for him, the most they'd probably get is a late draft choice, if any thing at all. Teams will probably just wait till his release.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Yes. Even a 4th round pick is something to build with.

And like dozens of other trades that have come down over the years, any trade for Moore could include agreeing to an extension in advance.

I could also see the Chargers trading for Moore and putting him in the role that Billy Volek had for about 5 seasons in San Diego.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
as soon as some team has a starter go down, Moore's value will dramatically increase. He is a viable starter in this league that can win games. I'd put him roughly equivalent in the Skelton/Yates tier - someone that can come in off of the bench and win games. Do you want him as a 16 game starter? of course not. But, I'd rather have him than, say, Charlie Whitehurst or Ricky Stanzi starting an extended number of games.

Sounds to me like Mia is seeking a 4th rounder, based on RVJ's palm Beach Post link.

Agree completely.

Rohirrim
08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
What does this have to do with Tebow?

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
they'll want something to build with for a 3rd quarterback? send them a few gift cards to Elways

No, for a 2nd quarterback.

Pay attention, son. ;)

Fox doesn't want Osweiler to be taking snaps that matter any time soon.

And evidently, he'd rather not have Hanie taking any snaps either! Hilarious!

BroncoBen
08-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Not going to happen... maybe if the Dolphins cut Moore outright and he clears waivers.

maven
08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Can Garrard even make it through preseason without being injured?

Bacchus
08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Did you guys actually click the link? Some guy tweeted that he heard the Dolphins are shopping Moore and he "thinks the Broncos would be a good fit." The writer references the tweet and incorrectly says that Osweiller is number two on the depth chart so he "hopes the Broncos go after Moore." That is what this entire thread is based off of. One guy tweets that he thinks the Broncos should get Moore and we're debating it like it's happening, even floating what compensation they're going to get.

Get this Rant Sports crap out of here. And the rest of you need to wake up.

It is a Bulletin Board... We need stuff to talk about.

That One Guy
08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Pretend like we're gonna trade all through the preseason and then right before it happens, leave them holding the bag with 3 QBs. The drama would be hilarious.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Meh....in reading that article, it looks like the rumor is simply some dude trying to connect the dots and make a prediction based on his logic with no real information or facts.

errand
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM

This....

Wouldn't make sense until they see what they have in Tannehill or if Garrard is gonna make it thru the pre-season first.

ZONA
08-07-2012, 07:28 PM

I would agree with this. I think it's a stupid move, a very stupid move.

Jay3
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
What does this have to do with Tebow?

And what does Tebow need with a starship?

broncolife
08-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Last year he started 4 games and threw 3 picks in each game except the game against the broncos.

ozomulsion
08-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Not going to happen... maybe if the Dolphins cut Moore outright and he clears waivers.

He'll have better career numbers than the majority of other team's backup QBs. He would never clear waivers.

Bronco Rob
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Nevermind....

https://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/234035263440035840

Just got off the phone with David Garrard. Confirms he has a knee injury and will be out a while. (more)

ColoradoDarin
08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Pass. Yes Hanie sucks, but this is Brady Quinn trade again.

Kaylore
08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Nevermind....

Just got off the phone with David Garrard. Confirms he has a knee injury and will be out a while. (more)

That's too bad because this story had legs!

ppablo
08-10-2012, 04:08 PM
That's too bad because this story had legs!

Lol... yeah it sure did!

maven
08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Nevermind....