PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Weeden to start at QB for the Browns this season

Pontius Pirate
08-06-2012, 02:47 PM
AKA "avoid all Cleveland WR's in your fantasy drafts this summer"

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Browns HC Pat Shurmur announced that rookie Brandon Weeden will be Cleveland's starting QB this season.

Requiem
08-06-2012, 02:48 PM
That team is going to be a tragedy.

Beantown Bronco
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
The gauntlet has been thrown down. They're getting an early start on the Suck for _________ Campaign.

Requiem
08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
The gauntlet has been thrown down. They're getting an early start on the Suck for _________ Campaign.

Matt Barkley. The 2013 NFL Draft is the "Shat for Matt" campaign.

Br0nc0Buster
08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
How exactly is Weeden worse than McCoy again?

Their offense will still suck Im sure, but they should be better with Richardson and Weeden over McCoy and Hillis

cmhargrove
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I watched a lot of Oklahoma State football, and people who think Weeden sucks probably haven't. Live arm, can make all the throws, has played against some pretty good defenses. You may say he has played with some really good receivers, but he has also helped to create them. Mix that natural talent with a little Trent Richardson, and I think they will do alright.

His biggest problem won't be moving the offense, or scoring TD's. I could see him struggling with miscommunication and INT's more than anything - but that's a team issue. Weeden beat Luck in the Fiesta Bowl shootout last year, so the dude can throw. Unfortunately, he found himself in a division where he has to throw against the Steelers and Ravens.

R-Mac
08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Would you get Browns WRs with Colt McNoodle at QB?

Play2win
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I was actually thinking he was going to have a real good career, and a surprising first year, but now that he went to the browns, all bets are off.

pricejj
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Brandon Weeden is my boy. The dude is the real deal. Weeden and my cousin were on the same team (Edmond, OK) in high school. My cousin played WR, and they both were drafted in the MLB draft. Both went to play for OSU several years later, but my cousin didn't want to sit the bench so he went to a smaller school to start at WR. They are still great friends. The rest is history.

Tear 'em up Brandon.

Pontius Pirate
08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Would you get Browns WRs with Colt McNoodle at QB?

For me, it's just the one extra year for Colt vs. throwing a rookie in right off the bat. Statistically, rookies don't do that great in year 1. Colt must REALLY not look good in camp for them to say Weeden is the day 1 starter.

Goobzilla
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
For me, it's just the one extra year for Colt vs. throwing a rookie in right off the bat. Statistically, rookies don't do that great in year 1. Colt must REALLY not look good in camp for them to say Weeden is the day 1 starter.

Colt says he hasn't gotten any snaps with the 1's in camp so far. Would it make a difference? I could give a rip about the Browns but can you have a true QB competition if you're not giving them the same guys to compete with? Didn't we do this last year?

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Browns recievers led the league in dropped passes. Have fun Weeden.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Colt says he hasn't gotten any snaps with the 1's in camp so far. Would it make a difference? I could give a rip about the Browns but can you have a true QB competition if you're not giving them the same guys to compete with? Didn't we do this last year?

Contrary to popular opinion, this is what teams normally do. There's no such thing as an open camp QB competition. There's really no time for it. The decision's already pretty much made when camp starts. Only way it changes is if the #1 guy epicly ****s the bed.

I know some people like to forget that Kyle Orton was the fully conscious choice of our FO last year. But that's the long and short of it.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, this is what teams normally do. There's no such thing as an open camp QB competition. There's really no time for it. The decision's already pretty much made when camp starts. Only way it changes is if the #1 guy epicly ****s the bed.

I know some people like to forget that Kyle Orton was the fully conscious choice of our FO last year. But that's the long and short of it.

Open camp QB competitions happen on teams that have crappy QBs.

Pontius Pirate
08-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Far be it from me to judge. Seems odd to not have a competition in camp and just say "Brandon is our guy." Doesn't seem to set them up well if Brandon struggles.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Open camp QB competitions happen on teams that have crappy QBs.

Really? McCoy didn't qualify? :)

ghwk
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
2-14. You heard it here first.

Tombstone RJ
08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
That team is going to be a tragedy.

I disagree, I think Weeden is gonna be a very good QB but we shall see.

ColoradoDarin
08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Weed's only issue is he only took shotgun in college, right? Accurate with good arm strength. I don't see why you would go with Colt over him.

Jekyll15Hyde
08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I am expecting a pleasant surprise from CLE this year to the tune of 6-7 wins. They will be better than last year but are stuck in a juggernaut division.

DHallblows
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
...because I was planning on drafting those "highly talented-QB rich-CLE WRs anyway" ???

But I get your point

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Really? McCoy didn't qualify? :)

Well you said teams don't really have open competition at QB. I say teams with bad QBs do. The browns don't qualify at doing anything right. So this is not a surprise.

razorwire77
08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Football is a magical time of year. The leaves change colors, the air gets a little bit crisp and the Cleveland Browns ruin another high round draft pick at the quarterback position.

TheChamp24
08-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Their WR's are already a high risk.
Weeden is an intriguing prospect though, he doesn't suck by any means, and if he wasn't 28/29 years old, might have gone higher in the draft.
Greg Little is an intriguing guy though.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Well you said teams don't really have open competition at QB. I say teams with bad QBs do. The browns don't qualify at doing anything right. So this is not a surprise.

But they didn't have a competition. They just picked the new kid outright.

Like we should have done last year.

Pontius Pirate
08-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Surprised that Agamemnon is not on here defending one or both of the Browns QB's yet

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Not a bad move. Weeden is too old to develop slowly. You pretty much just need to let the guy sink or swim, and if he sinks you are in a good position to draft someone better next year.

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Their WR's are already a high risk.
Weeden is an intriguing prospect though, he doesn't suck by any means, and if he wasn't 28/29 years old, might have gone higher in the draft.
Greg Little is an intriguing guy though.

Weeden would have easily gone early in the 1st round if he was 22 or 23.

Pontius Pirate
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Not a bad move. Weeden is too old to develop slowly. You pretty much just need to let the guy sink or swim, and if he sinks you are in a good position to draft someone better next year.

Perfect timing.