PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart released

ppablo
08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Any surprises? I thought Mike Adams being behind Carter is one of them to me...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Depth-Chart-Released/e2789be4-f9ca-4e12-a1bb-585dc47d9c08

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
The idea that anyone is behind Hanie is surprising to me. Guy looks like dog****.

bronco militia
08-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Any surprises? I thought Mike Adams being behind Carter is one of them to me...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Depth-Chart-Released/e2789be4-f9ca-4e12-a1bb-585dc47d9c08

LOL

BMarsh615
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Ball at #2 kinda surprises me. Haven't heard much about Phillip Blake at training camp so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised to see him as the third string center.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah, Willis backed by Ball. Shocking.

Garcia Bronco
08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Ball has been the best back on the team from a running perspective for some time minus Willis. So what I am saying is Moreno sucks.

Garcia Bronco
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Carter is also awesome. Do you ****ers actually watch the games or are you using the force? Maybe you are using the swartz?

ppablo
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
funny how Knowshon is listed in the other category now...

SonOfLe-loLang
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Lance Ball is our top KR? I guess it doesnt matter, so few get returned anyway. Just gimme someone who won't fumble it.

srphoenix
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
its also just a preseason depth chart, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to give Hanie the majority of playing time against chicago to see if he can amount to much more than he's played or otherwise cut him at the first set of cutdowns.

What a fall for Knowshon, he had such a varied skill set in college and he translated almost none of it to the pros.

bronco militia
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Carter is also awesome. Do you ****ers actually watch the games or are you using the force? Maybe you are using the swartz?

yeah, he's better than Moore. But this depth chart is pointless when you consider Carter is probably not going to play in the pre-season.

Houshyamama
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Our depth at safety scares me.

srphoenix
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Just noticed that Derek Wolfe isnt even listed as a defensive tackle. They have him as backup LDE

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-06-2012, 09:59 AM
The love this FO gives ball is disgusting. Be ready for lots of fumbles at the wrong time and 0-1 yard gains.

Goobzilla
08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Anthony "Psycho" Perkins is listed behind a guy on the PUP, I don't think I'd make any major purchases right now.

Rabb
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
what we should do is freak out over the first preseason depth chart after no games have been played

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Defense:
POS.First................. Second................. Third......................... Other
LDE Jason Hunter .......Derek Wolfe .........Jeremy Beal
DT .Ty Warren ...........Kevin Vickerson ....Malik Jackson .............Ben Garland
NT Justin Bannan .......Mitch Unrein.......... Sealver Siliga
RDE Elvis Dumervil .....Robert Ayers ..........Cyril Obiozor ..........Jamie Blatnick

SLB Von Miller ............Nate Irving............. Jerry Franklin
MLB Joe Mays .............Mike Mohamed ........Steven Johnson
WLB D.J. Williams .......Wesley Woodyard ...Danny Trevathan .....Elliot Coffey

LCB Champ Bailey.........Chris Harris ............Tony Carter.......... Joshua Moore
Ramzee Robinson

RCB Tracy Porter ..........Drayton Florence ......Omar Bolden ..........Syd'Quan Thompson

SS Quinton Carter .........Mike Adams ..............David Bruton .......Duke Ihenacho

FS Rahim Moore ............Rafael Bush ..............Jim Leonhard ........Anthony Perkins

Offense:

POS ..First.......................... Second................... Third............ Other ,
WR Demaryius Thomas .........Matthew Willis ........Jason Hill ....Greg Orton,
Tyler Grisham
,Cameron Kenney

LT Ryan Clady ......................Chris Clark ...............Mike Remmers
LG Zane Beadles ..................Adam Grant ..............Austin Wuebbels
C J.D. Walton ......................C.J. Davis .................Philip Blake
RG Chris Kuper .....................Manny Ramirez .........Tony Hills, Wayne Tribue
RT Orlando Franklin............... Ryan Harris
TE Joel Dreessen Jacob.......... Tamme Virgil............ Green Julius, Thomas
,Anthony Miller
,Cornelius Ingram

WR Eric Decker .......................Andre Caldwell........... Brandon Stokley, Mark Dell
,Gerell Robinson

QB Peyton Manning .................Caleb Hanie................ Brock Osweiler, Adam Weber

FB Chris Gronkowski .................Austin Sylvester
RB Willis McGahee ....................Lance Ball ..................Ronnie Hillman ,Knowshon Moreno
,Jeremiah Johnson
,Xavier Omon

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html

Agamemnon
The love this FO gives ball is disgusting. Be ready for lots of fumbles at the wrong time and 0-1 yard gains.

Exactly what I was thinking. What is the appeal with this guy? I just don't get it.

They even have the slug listed as the kick returner ffs. ugh!~

SonOfLe-loLang
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Just noticed that Derek Wolfe isnt even listed as a defensive tackle. They have him as backup LDE

hes been playing that, and tackle in nickel

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm just glad most on the list are healthy. Lots of new names of the defensive side of the ball. Warren being one of the most important

BigPlayShay
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. What is the appeal with this guy? I just don't get it.

They even have the slug listed as the kick returner ffs. ugh!~

The appeal of this guy is that he is more reliable than Knowshon, good pass protector, plays on every special teams unit, has played in this offense as well Indy's offense.

Dedhed
08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Not much would be surprising unless Manning wasn't listed as the #1 QB.

Kaylore
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
There are some interesting things of note.

On Offense: DT and Decker are the one two. More interesting is Stokely is third string. His reps in camp are not indicative of this. Osweiler at three despite getting no snaps in the scrimmage. I also see Fox continues his "if you are a rookie you will not play this year" stance. Most are buried on the depth chart.

On Defense: Jason Hunter we knew had supplanted Ayers. Siliga and Jackson DT third string. I think Malik Jackson has a shot to make the team and contribute. He is very strong. Porter ahead of Florence and Harris is a bit of a surpise. I assumed Florence would be the guy opposite Champ. Bush and Adams behind Carter and Moore is also of note.

Not loving Decker on punt returns, but he was effective at least.

Beantown Bronco
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM

They only did that to appease Pat "a DT killed my parents, ok" Bowlen. He'd lose his sh*t if he thought we actually drafted a DT early.

broncocalijohn
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Where is Stokely? We going to cover 5 WRs this season?

Dexter
08-06-2012, 10:34 AM

On Offense: DT and Decker are the one two. More interesting is Stokely is third string. His reps in camp are not indicative of this. Osweiler at three despite getting no snaps in the scrimmage. I also see Fox continues his "if you are a rookie you will not play this year" stance. Most are buried on the depth chart.

On Defense: Jason Hunter we knew had supplanted Ayers. Siliga and Jackson DT third string. I think Malik Jackson has a shot to make the team and contribute. He is very strong. Porter ahead of Florence and Harris is a bit of a surpise. I assumed Florence would be the guy opposite Champ. Bush and Adams behind Carter and Moore is also of note.

I think you're spot on. I'm just kinda puzzled that you're surprised that porter is ahead of Florence? Its been assumed and talked about by the organization that Tracy Porter would be the #2 corner, playing on the outside, while Florence and Harris were supposed to be battling for the nickel spot since they're solid tacklers.

As far as the rest depth chart is concerned, I have a hard time believing a lot of it. Mike Adams behind carter, Osweiler behind Hannie who just blows, Lance ball #2 instead of #3 or #4. It seems like this coaching staff loves to make sure they force people that had assumed starting or backup spots to be motivated.

Ziggy
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Osweiller had snaps in the scrimmage. Not many, but he split time with the 3rd team. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leonhard take over Decker's slot as the starting punt returner as well as returning kickoffs. I agree with you on the Malik Jackson call. I think he makes this team as well. Porter has been the #2 corner throughout camp. Florence looks like he's dropped to 4th behind Harris.

Conklin
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
kinda shocked to see that colquitt has the punting position locked up so early.

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 10:51 AM
The appeal of this guy is that he is more reliable than Knowshon, good pass protector, plays on every special teams unit, has played in this offense as well Indy's offense.

He's more reliable with his two yards per rush. How exciting...

cutthemdown
08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
The best news is someone beating out Ayers, and Warren being back.

cutthemdown
08-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Surprised you thought Florence over Porter. Always seen Porter as more an outside CB, a starter, and Florence more a 3rd corner at this point in his career. Not sure Porter would play well inside as a 3rd corner. I think Harris is good inside. Florence just sort of an older corner that IMO will be for depth.

MABroncoFan
08-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Maybe not - they could cut him and use Prater as K and P. :)

Rabb
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

you think they'll bring in some competition?

Kaylore
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Surprised you thought Florence over Porter. Always seen Porter as more an outside CB, a starter, and Florence more a 3rd corner at this point in his career. Not sure Porter would play well inside as a 3rd corner. I think Harris is good inside. Florence just sort of an older corner that IMO will be for depth.

I agree Harris is good inside. Him staying at nickel isn't weird. But Porter hasn't really been a starting-caliber player his whole career. This coaching staff seems to favor veterans over younger guys. I realize Porter has been practicing at the second spot most of camp, but I always thought the more experienced Florence would get the nod. He's 32, but he's not ancient...

BTW why are you happy about Ayers being beat out? The last thing I want is another McDaniels bust to wash out...

Bigdawg26
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I think it's interesting and good that we are giving those two young safeties an opportunity to start together. I think they can be a pretty solid duo with Mike Adams backing them up! Also, It's interesting to see Wolfe being placed at DE when they said they drafted him to be a DT with an inside pass rush. Maybe they want him to bulk up more than put him at DT?

Cmac821
08-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Not a fan of veterans getting the go ahead. If it's not a top caliber player like Champ I'd rather see some guys that haven't reached there ceiling yet, improve as the season goes

cutthemdown
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree Harris is good inside. Him staying at nickel isn't weird. But Porter hasn't really been a starting-caliber player his whole career. This coaching staff seems to favor veterans over younger guys. I realize Porter has been practicing at the second spot most of camp, but I always thought the more experienced Florence would get the nod. He's 32, but he's not ancient...

BTW why are you happy about Ayers being beat out? The last thing I want is another McDaniels bust to wash out...

Well I just am sort of to the point with Ayers where I feel he isn't athletic or explosive enough to make big plays. Not saying he stinks, but I see him as more a rotational spot guy then a starter. So I am glad because I hope it means they feel someone stepping up and playing better then he does. Then I mention Warren because when healthy I do see him as a dominant player. I realize different spots just thought I would mention them both.

Porter I think played really well most of the last 2 yrs. Also played well in some big games and at this point has more closing speed then Florence. Also they paid him more so I always figured that meant he was the 2. Its great we have some depth in Florence and Harris though. One old, one young. Florence pretty good all around, Harris good inside. Haven't seen as much of him outside so who knows. But I like how Harris approaches playing inside. You see him being aggressive, and trying to get his hands on his guy.

One of the things about playing inside if you really have to use film study to memorize the route trees of the inside WR. Then you have to read the defense and try to anticipate his release inside or outside. If you jump inside and hand fight the WR outside on a pattern he really needed to get inside of you the CB can really win those battles. The flip side is a guy who isn't great playing inside can just look silly. Often like Colts used to do with us. Especially when they got our safetys up trying to cover players inside. We haven't had ones who could do that well since Lynch, Atwater, Smith etc etc.

If Harris steps up and continues to get better, and both our young safetys do as well, we could finally have a good all around secondary. I am really hopeful this yr. For the first time in a long time I see alot of vet leadership in Bailey, Adams, Florence, young athletic talent in Moore, Carter, Harris, and then a guy sort of just going into his prime in Porter. I really think this secondary can come together and be good.

cutthemdown
08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
People been saying since Wolfe was drafted he will play DE and slide inside to DT on passing downs.

Also Warren coming on probably made that more doable. Hes going to be killing people this yr. I just have this feeling he is mean and hungry. Warren realizes he craps out again he will never get another contract. He plays big this yr and he can get another payday. Watch out when big talented players are going for a pay day.

Kaylore
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I think what made me believe Florence was back when they signed Fox and there was an article talking about how he favors veteran defensive backs over younger players because they make fewer mental errors and if a DB makes a mental error, it usually means a big play for the other team. I have concerns about Porter's durability and the fact he didn't start four of the games he played last season and the Saints let him go. Florence was looking at a bloated contract and is showing age, so that made more sense and seemed less like damaged goods.

I am surprised how many people were shocked about Wolfe at DE. I think before OTA's they said they saw him more as that type of player and he's been exclusively an end in camp, except on passing downs.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

broncocalijohn
08-06-2012, 12:04 PM
RCB Tracy Porter ..........Drayton Florence ......Omar Bolden ..........Syd'Quan Thompson

4th for Syd'Quan?

Rahim Moore as 1st string scares me. Retirement of star players sucks!

Houshyamama
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Positions of strength and weakness as I see them right now:

http://i.imgur.com/gDKKd.jpg

phibacka31
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM

All notes out of camp are Caldwell balling... he's a VERY good #3...

Lolad
08-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Maybe we are watching different players but the NE game comes to mind.

Fusionfrontman
08-06-2012, 12:44 PM
While I'm not shocked or anything by a pre preseason depth chart, which means nothing, I think having Wolfe as a backup DE confirms what I remember reading JDR saying about using him as a pass rushing DT, much like the Giants used Tuck when Strahan was still playing.

Not a fan of Ball at all, much rather see Hillman or JJ but I'm very excited. I think we have some major depth issues as some positions but some young talent at others.

Really excited to see a healthy Warren.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I like Caldwell at #3... a little surprised Willis has the #4 spots ahead of Hill and Stokley.

Also, I wouldn't consider Quinton Carter a weakness. He played very well last year, and that was his rookie season. I think we have a starter for the next few years at SS with Carter.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Also, it looks like Knowshon is on his last swing with the Broncos... even with the injury to Fannin.

I wouldn't have predicted that. I think Moreno is an ideal type of back to compliment Manning.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Interesting to see Ayers at RDE.

I wonder if they're going to rest Doom some on running downs now, with Ayers coming in at RDE.

Requiem
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Also, it looks like Knowshon is on his last swing with the Broncos... even with the injury to Fannin.

He is still rehabbing. Why would you expect him to be higher with limited reps? He is going to make the roster.

Bacchus
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
He's more reliable with his two yards per rush. How exciting...

He averaged 4.2 YPC last year and over 9 yards per reception. He is a great poass blocker and makes very few mental mistakes.

gunns
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
what we should do is freak out over the first preseason depth chart after no games have been played

This.

Bacchus
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Haven't heard much about Phillip Blake at training camp so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised to see him as the third string center.

I read somewhere that they were going to try to sneek Blake onto the practice squad. Him being a high draft choice that might not be easy.

Requiem
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I read somewhere that they were going to try to sneek Blake onto the practice squad. Him being a high draft choice that might not be easy.

If the Broncos took Blake in the fourth round with the intentions of trying to practice squad him, that's ****ed.

pricejj
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
1. Not sure why Mike Adams is behind Quinton Carter...I guess they are doing it to figure out who is better between Carter and Moore in pre-season. Mike Adams is the best Safety we have.

2. Ayers backing up Dumervil is interesting. Say goodbye to ever starting again Ayers. He got leap-frogged by both Hunter and Wolfe.

2. Siliga 3rd string behind Unrein is surprising. I know Siliga got the looks during OTA's...maybe they just want to get a good look at Unrein before cuts...

3. Glad Ryan Harris is the only other RT other than Orlando Franklin. Hoping Harris continues to move up, so Franklin can move to OG.

4. Knowshon is squarely on the bubble as 4th string RB. Gonna be hard to make the club from the tub.

5. I can't believe Philip Blake is 3rd string Center. All the camp reports indicate that J.D. Walton is getting ragdolled. That will never change, time to give up on the project.

6. Wolfe will see a big role on this Defense backing up Hunter at DE. Looks like Wolfe will be the wildcard coming in to exploit weaknesses on the OL.

7. As expected Squid probably won't make it. Looks like Tony Carter is your #6CB.

8. Irving at backup SOLB confirms that he is a bust at MLB. It also indicates that he may have a fairly long career (like Mario Haggans) as an NFL backup. Good work if you can get it.

9. Mohamed at 2nd team is a surprise considering the hype that Steven Johnson was getting during OTA's.

10. Adam Weber may want to consider a future career in the telecom industry...

pricejj
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
If the Broncos took Blake in the fourth round with the intentions of trying to practice squad him, that's ****ed.

Somebody tell me why in the heck we would practice squad Blake when we are currently sporting the NFL's worst starting Center (Walton), and a UDFA OG (Davis), who we signed in Feb...at #1 and #2 on the depth chart.

If the Broncos attempt to practice squad Blake, it would be a(nother) fail of epic proportions...

pricejj
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Decker at Punt Returner? Interesting position for a 6'3" WR with an injury history, whom PFM has spent countless hours with, trying to make into the next Marvin Harrison.

I'm sure opposing teams won't be teeing off on him at all...

SonOfLe-loLang
08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
1. Not sure why Mike Adams is behind Quinton Carter...I guess they are doing it to figure out who is better between Carter and Moore in pre-season. Mike Adams is the best Safety we have.

2. Ayers backing up Dumervil is interesting. Say goodbye to ever starting again Ayers. He got leap-frogged by both Hunter and Wolfe.

2. Siliga 3rd string behind Unrein is surprising. I know Siliga got the looks during OTA's...maybe they just want to get a good look at Unrein before cuts...

3. Glad Ryan Harris is the only other RT other than Orlando Franklin. Hoping Harris continues to move up, so Franklin can move to OG.

4. Knowshon is squarely on the bubble as 4th string RB. Gonna be hard to make the club from the tub.

5. I can't believe Philip Blake is 3rd string Center. All the camp reports indicate that J.D. Walton is getting ragdolled. That will never change, time to give up on the project.

6. Wolfe will see a big role on this Defense backing up Hunter at DE. Looks like Wolfe will be the wildcard coming in to exploit weaknesses on the OL.

7. As expected Squid probably won't make it. Looks like Tony Carter is your #6CB.

8. Irving at backup SOLB confirms that he is a bust at MLB. It also indicates that he may have a fairly long career (like Mario Haggans) as an NFL backup. Good work if you can get it.
9. Mohamed at 2nd team is a surprise considering the hype that Steven Johnson was getting during OTA's.

10. Adam Weber may want to consider a future career in the telecom industry...

Or it indicates he sucks.

outdoor_miner
08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Notice that Clark is backup LT. Think this means that he is higher on the depth chart than Harris, and therefore, will continue to start with Franklin out.

pricejj
08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Notice that Clark is backup LT. Think this means that he is higher on the depth chart than Harris, and therefore, will continue to start with Franklin out.

Yes. I guess you're right. Oh well, if the OL collapses like it did during the scrimmage, the coaching staff is going to have to do something to keep Manning off the turf.

IMO Franklin is our best OG, and Harris is our best RT (if he can stay healthy).

Ironlung
08-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Agreed. I'd rather TRY to sneak Walton on the practice squad at this point.

pricejj
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLDEN
Orlando Franklin is back at team drills -- and unexpectedly, at RG. Chris Clark at RT. #Broncos

...and so it begins.

Houshyamama
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
All notes out of camp are Caldwell balling... he's a VERY good #3...

Here's hoping :strong:

kdissette
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
our KR and PR is gonna be very questionable

pricejj
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Here's hoping :strong:

I saw Caldwell at the scrimmage, and told him welcome to Denver, he said thanks. I said hope you catch a lot of balls this year, and we go to the Superbowl. He said, "yeah me too".

oubronco
08-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Damn Straight LOL

Ironlung
08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLDEN
Orlando Franklin is back at team drills -- and unexpectedly, at RG. Chris Clark at RT. #Broncos

...and so it begins.

If Chris Clark gets any playing time this year Manning is DED.

Bacchus
08-06-2012, 05:58 PM

They did not take him in the 4th round to sneak on to the practice squad but I guess he has shown he is not ready for the NFL.

lonestar
08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
None of it matters,, other than the puffery of those fans that have made a player to be more than he is..

Some folks will argue till they are blue in the face, because their fav, was drafted higher than someone else..

I've also believed that when they announce the final roster it matters, till then it seems to be equal parts ego stroking and kicking some pampered primeadonna in the ass..

strafen
08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
funny how Knowshon is listed in the other category now...

Popps? :D

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 06:33 PM
He averaged 4.2 YPC last year and over 9 yards per reception. He is a great poass blocker and makes very few mental mistakes.

Yes I was using hyperbole to make a point. That point being that the guy has pretty much zero playmaking ability, and can only get what his line and playcalling can give him.

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
our KR and PR is gonna be very questionable

Ball at KR is way worse than just "questionable".

maher_tyler
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Mays not in red?

Agamemnon
08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Mays not in red?

LOL, yeah he needs to be in bright red with flashing neon lights. Dude is a terrible MLB. I actually kind of liked him in a 3-4, but in a 4-3 he's just abysmal. Still can't believe they signed him to that contract...

RaiderH8r
08-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Knowshon remains first team all soft.

Weber should grab Fannin and hit up the Broncos mall kiosk job placement program before it fills up.

Peoples Champ
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
sidquan thompson? a reserve DB? I thought he was gonna get better.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-06-2012, 07:40 PM
sidquan thompson? a reserve DB? I thought he was gonna get better.

Squid's a playmaker. Hopefully he gets a shot at punt returns, if nothing else...

lonestar
08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Squid's a playmaker. Hopefully he gets a shot at punt returns, if nothing else...

I saw it that way also..

Perhaps they see enough potential in him to make him into a backup CB.. God only knows how many times in years past we were down to zip becasue of hamstrings..

canadianbroncosfan
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM

All I can is thank god for you guys, and I do mean that. I appreciate your outlook on this thread.

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Ball at KR is way worse than just "questionable".

Why? Kick returner in Denver is easily the least valuable position in the entire NFL. There are just too many touchbacks now given the altitude and the moving of the kickoff spot to the 35.

Our leading returner last year had a whole 8 kick returns. Yippee. It's become even more of a useless position for us and there's no point investing any real time in it at the expense of anything else.

pricejj
08-07-2012, 07:14 AM

That's Leonhard's job now...

cutthemdown
08-07-2012, 07:20 AM
The return game about the PR not dropping the ball, and the KR doing TB's. We will be ok, but probably not explosive there. Like the above poster stated though Leonard can help at the PR spot.

Agamemnon
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Why? Kick returner in Denver is easily the least valuable position in the entire NFL. There are just too many touchbacks now given the altitude and the moving of the kickoff spot to the 35.

Our leading returner last year had a whole 8 kick returns. Yippee. It's become even more of a useless position for us and there's no point investing any real time in it at the expense of anything else.

Doesn't change that with those 8 or so kicks you probably want a more dynamic athlete than Lance Ball. I mean you might actually get a good return, maybe even a touchdown if you have a real returner back there.

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Doesn't change that with those 8 or so kicks you probably want a more dynamic athlete than Lance Ball. I mean you might actually get a good return, maybe even a touchdown if you have a real returner back there.

How do you know he's not a good returner? Peyton Hillis was one of our better kick returners in the limited attempts he had and he's far less of a "dynamic athlete" than anyone else we've put there in the last 10 years.

I understand that you obviously want to be the best you can be at any positition. I'm just talking priority. In terms of the Broncos and their needs, kick returner is EASILY the least valuable position on the team. Name one other player that is going to be part of the active roster every week, yet will likely only see between 5 and 10 "snaps" all season long.

lonestar
08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
How do you know he's not a good returner? Peyton Hillis was one of our better kick returners in the limited attempts he had and he's far less of a "dynamic athlete" than anyone else we've put there in the last 10 years.

I understand that you obviously want to be the best you can be at any positition. I'm just talking priority. In terms of the Broncos and their needs, kick returner is EASILY the least valuable position on the team. Name one other player that is going to be part of the active roster every week, yet will likely only see between 5 and 10 "snaps" all season long.

I heard a coach once say and think it was Belicheck, that special teams is a huge part of the game maybe up to a third of the snaps in a game.. When asked about playing starters on STs..

He ask the question, Would you put third string players on either offense or defense for that many snaps unless you had to? That was the reason he put some of his starters on special teams..

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
I heard a coach once say and think it was Belicheck, that special teams is a huge part of the game maybe up to a third of the snaps in a game.. When asked about playing starters on STs..

He ask the question, Would you put third string players on either offense or defense for that many snaps unless you had to? That was the reason he put some of his starters on special teams..

Context, context. He was talking about all 11 positions and not just the returners. And that was before the kickoff spot got moved to the 35 (notice I'm saying NOTHING about punt returns - completely different animal). AND that is coming from a coach that plays at sea level, not mile high.

I have no problems with starters playing on special teams.

Again, read what I wrote. If you disagree with me, then you have to name a position that's less important IN DENVER than kick (not punt) returner.

Agamemnon
08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
How do you know he's not a good returner?

It's generally understood, that fast, agile athletes generally make better returners than slow, cumbersome athletes. Did you not get the memo?

lonestar
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Context, context. He was talking about all 11 positions and not just the returners. And that was before the kickoff spot got moved to the 35 (notice I'm saying NOTHING about punt returns - completely different animal). AND that is coming from a coach that plays at sea level, not mile high.

I have no problems with starters playing on special teams.

Again, read what I wrote. If you disagree with me, then you have to name a position that's less important IN DENVER than kick (not punt) returner.

I was not quoting you to quote you.. just thought it needed to be said and your happened to be the one I hit quote on..

Other than having posseion on the 35 yard line instead of the 20 yep KR is a lesser position..

or to get the occasional TD especially after a come back score from the other team the type of BALL crusher taht really takes the wind out of their sails..

Myself I'd rather have an ace (rare that they are) for both spots and would carry one less someone to have them..

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
It's generally understood, that fast, agile athletes generally make better returners than slow, cumbersome athletes. Did you not get the memo?

Ball has 4.5 speed. Comparable to our best kick returners last year.

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Other than having posseion on the 35 yard line instead of the 20 yep KR is a lesser position..

or to get the occasional TD especially after a come back score from the other team the type of BALL crusher taht really takes the wind out of their sails..

Myself I'd rather have an ace (rare that they are) for both spots and would carry one less someone to have them..

Again, nobody is disagreeing with this. Of course, it's always better to start at the 35 than the 20. Unfortunately, in Denver, the opportunities to do this with any regularity just aren't there. There are games when we don't have the opportunity to return one single kick. Great investment there. And unless our defense all of a sudden goes to the toilet, we're never going to have a game where our returner gets more than 2 or 3 opportunities even in road games. Teams are taking advantage of the new kickoff spot and are investing money in kickoff specialists. That, combined with kickers just getting stronger over the years, makes it a devalued position. Just ask the Seahawks who just a year ago invested heavily in one of your "aces". They play at sea level and still couldn't get a good return on that investment.

I'm still waiting for the naming of a less valuable position.

Rabb
08-07-2012, 09:11 AM

personal punt protector

:wave:

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 09:21 AM
personal punt protector

:wave:

I love you

pricejj
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Not sure if I'm on board with benching Ayers (who was clearly showing progress at the end of last season) for a guy like Hunter, who hasn't produced much in his 6 year NFL career, but has managed to get into quite a few fights this training camp.

The best player should start, but burying a guy like Ayers, who had 3 sacks in the regular season (and 2 against the Steelers), is a bad idea. I think Del Rio is making a mistake here.

lonestar
08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Not sure if I'm on board with benching Ayers (who was clearly showing progress at the end of last season) for a guy like Hunter, who hasn't produced much in his 6 year NFL career, but has managed to get into quite a few fights this training camp.

The best player should start, but burying a guy like Ayers, who had 3 sacks in the regular season (and 2 against the Steelers), is a bad idea. I think Del Rio is making a mistake here.

I'm guessing this is not permanent but a way to get his attention.. If he does not get the message then well I guess being a first rounder he believes he is entitled to the spot..

JDR rarely makes a mistake on personnel..

lonestar
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Again, nobody is disagreeing with this. Of course, it's always better to start at the 35 than the 20. Unfortunately, in Denver, the opportunities to do this with any regularity just aren't there. There are games when we don't have the opportunity to return one single kick. Great investment there. And unless our defense all of a sudden goes to the toilet, we're never going to have a game where our returner gets more than 2 or 3 opportunities even in road games. Teams are taking advantage of the new kickoff spot and are investing money in kickoff specialists. That, combined with kickers just getting stronger over the years, makes it a devalued position. Just ask the Seahawks who just a year ago invested heavily in one of your "aces". They play at sea level and still couldn't get a good return on that investment.

You make valid points which I see..

But I still believe that having the threat there is worth the money you would pay someone to do it..

No threat and then the opposing team kicks them short so you have to return it.. with a greater chance of being pinned inside your 20..

Is there a less valuable spot on the team, frankly I have not given it much thought nor will I.. That is your petard to carry..

DENVERDUI55
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm worried about the LB's more now than the DL.

2KBack
08-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Brian Mitchell says hello

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2012, 01:49 PM

But I still believe that having the threat there is worth the money you would pay someone to do it..

No threat and then the opposing team kicks them short so you have to return it.. with a greater chance of being pinned inside your 20..

Is there a less valuable spot on the team, frankly I have not given it much thought nor will I.. That is your petard to carry..

Our no name returners actually outperformed Leon Washington last year, who was by far the biggest "name" kick returner in the league to switch teams in the last few years (and recently signed a nice, fat 4 yr, $12.5 mil extension to essentially be a return specialist). He averaged a whole 25 yds per return and 0 TDs once they moved the kickoff spot back.

It's simply too hard to predict from year to year who the big return threats are going to be. Outside of Devin Hester, there's very little consistency with those guys.

Having said all this, fine, it's put your money where your mouth is time. Who do you think we should go after here that would be a significant upgrade?

Kaylore
08-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Our no name returners actually outperformed Leon Washington last year, who was by far the biggest "name" kick returner in the league to switch teams in the last few years (and recently signed a nice, fat 4 yr, $12.5 mil extension to essentially be a return specialist). He averaged a whole 25 yds per return and 0 TDs once they moved the kickoff spot back.

It's simply too hard to predict from year to year who the big return threats are going to be. Outside of Devin Hester, there's very little consistency with those guys.

Having said all this, fine, it's put your money where your mouth is time. Who do you think we should go after here that would be a significant upgrade?

In before he says trade for Devin Hester.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Is there statistical evidence that teams try to do this?

Lestat
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
lord i hope Moore turns the corner this season. if he can reach his potential it would help this defense out tremendously.

pricejj
08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
JDR rarely makes a mistake on personnel..

It will be interesting to see how Hunter performs in the preseason. He did have some good plays in the scrimmage, and he will definitely have a chance to perform. Good for him. Hunter is hungry, which is good to see. Hopefully the demotion doesn't significantly hamper Ayers development.

Agamemnon
08-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Ronnie Hillman's athleticism and agility would seem like a far better fit to me. I just don't see anything in Ball's running style that screams return man.

manchambo
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
One thing that strikes me mousing over that chart is that the RB position is pretty small outside of McGahee. The second two are only 5'9" and Hillman is only 190. I have no doubt that he will be a good situational back but where does the power game come from if (when) McGahee is hurt? Ball has shown some things, I guess, but I don't yet buy him as an every Sunday move the chains kind of guy.

Also, why is Irving listed as a Sam? To dash our hopes that he will take the MLB spot from May?

lonestar
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
One thing that strikes me mousing over that chart is that the RB position is pretty small outside of McGahee. The second two are only 5'9" and Hillman is only 190. I have no doubt that he will be a good situational back but where does the power game come from if (when) McGahee is hurt? Ball has shown some things, I guess, but I don't yet buy him as an every Sunday move the chains kind of guy.

Also, why is Irving listed as a Sam? To dash our hopes that he will take the MLB spot from May?

the 5'9" 190 equates to about the same size as 6'1" 225-230. in muscular stature..

If you look at this kids legs he compares to a guy a lot heavier if he is taller..

Lycan
08-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Ball is the #2?

It's all gone wrong!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1281731/matthias.gif

orinjkrush
08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
looks like my boy garland is headed for the trash heap. guess he'll have to go back to flying. oops, wait....

Mediator12
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Malik Jackson is my one guy I want to make the team. He is as versatile as Derek Wolfe on the DL and he also can get pressure from the inside as a three technique. He might be the last DL on the roster, but I would take him over Ayers after three years anyday.

As for the first TC depth chart, its as good as a $3 bill for value on anything. Heck, the regular season depth charts rarely are for real. Just watch the the games. I know I will be taping every one of them.

razorwire77
08-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Let's be real here. Baring injury, RB is going to be Willis 1A/Hillman 1B. If Lance Ball is featured in any significant capacity other than special teams, we're in trouble.

lonestar
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM
looks like my boy garland is headed for the trash heap. guess he'll have to go back to flying. oops, wait....

very well could be PS this year.. considering how many old timers we have at his spot..

Bacchus
08-08-2012, 12:20 AM

He'll end up on practicew squad. That was the plan the whole time with him.

cutthemdown
08-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Moreno if he is healthy can be that 2nd or 3rd RB, but if he's dinged or ends up not looking good, I sort of wish Broncos could add a vet RB. Maybe a cheap one that gets cut etc.

Bacchus
08-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Moreno if he is healthy can be that 2nd or 3rd RB, but if he's dinged or ends up not looking good, I sort of wish Broncos could add a vet RB. Maybe a cheap one that gets cut etc.

If Moreno is healthy I believe he could thrive in this offense. My question would be with the Broncos drafting Hillman, do they want Moreno to thrive?

I imagine Hillman will have to be a bust or struggling for Moreno to see any real playing time.

yerner
08-08-2012, 06:06 AM
interesting adam grant went to guard. always thought this would be a better place for him at zona.

Mogulseeker
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM

I hear Travis Henry is available.

DBroncos4life
08-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Ryan Grant or Benson are still out there.

TheReverend
08-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Malik Jackson is my one guy I want to make the team. He is as versatile as Derek Wolfe on the DL and he also can get pressure from the inside as a three technique. He might be the last DL on the roster, but I would take him over Ayers after three years anyday.

As for the first TC depth chart, its as good as a $3 bill for value on anything. Heck, the regular season depth charts rarely are for real. Just watch the the games. I know I will be taping every one of them.

I love when you get to the point and don't meander on for needless paragraphs :)

PM me with what's new man.

pricejj
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Rev sighting. Welcome back from the gulag. Hope you're not "institutionalized" now. One week in the slammer was too much for me.