PDA

View Full Version : Broncos place Leonhard on Active/PUP list

BMarsh615
08-04-2012, 03:20 PM
@caplannfl 23m
#Broncos placed veteran S Jim Leonhard on active/PUP list as he gets in condition to practice.

Kaylore
08-04-2012, 03:24 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/983694_o.gif

razorwire77
08-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Good signing. Carter has been dinged most of camp and although he seems much improved I'm still not sold that Raheem Moore is an NFL caliber starter. On special teams, we have no solidified returner. Leonhard provides additional options both on special teams, safety depth and a veteran presence.

Broncobiv
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Little known Manning effect.

montrose
08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
He's a returner too, right now Broncos are thin there.

KevinJames
08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Was a big fan of Jim Leonhard in Baltimore good pick up.

DBroncos4life
08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Our secondary is going to boss this year.

Dexter
08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Great signing. Solid veteran, if nothing else should be a great special teams player, and in the box tackler.

People keep saying that Leonhard is the one Tebow ran past last year in that win. I thought that was Eric Smith, the other safety?

LetsGoBroncos
08-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Great signing. Solid veteran, if nothing else should be a great special teams player, and in the box tackler.

People keep saying that Leonhard is the one Tebow ran past last year in that win. I thought that was Eric Smith, the other safety?

It was Smith

Hamrob
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Good signing. I don't see how it can hurt. I'm glad that the FO is still continuing to look for upgrade opportunities.

UberBroncoMan
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
He's a returner too, right now Broncos are thin there.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ryan-breaks-promise-to-leonhard-s-wife-1.3377320

His wife doesn't want him doing return duties.

RUH ROH!

DBroncos4life
08-04-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ryan-breaks-promise-to-leonhard-s-wife-1.3377320

His wife doesn't want him doing return duties.

RUH ROH!

2011?

UberBroncoMan
08-04-2012, 05:27 PM
2011?

So?

DBroncos4life
08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
So?

I'm sure her mind has changed 50 million times since then.

Baba Booey
08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Leonhard was a big part of those impressive Jets defenses over the past couple years. Good signing.

broncosteven
08-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I am glad to us addressing areas of need. Our Secondary should be tough to throw and run against now.

HooptyHoops
08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
A good signing for a weak position! Great move!

SoCalBronco
08-04-2012, 07:44 PM
No harm in adding depth especially for just a one year deal. Good move.

tsiguy96
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
remember mcdaniels tried to bring him in before he signed with the jets.

Tombstone RJ
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
great, good solid vet. I just hope he's healthy and can stay healthy for the entire season. He will certainly be able the help the secondary and perhaps Moore in particular.

broncosteven
08-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Link

I don't remember this but he likely told mCd "ya ya you guys are building a great think by trading Cutler away and seeing what you can get out of Orton and wasting picks trading up for Smith. I will have my agent call you..."

Majik
08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Majik's new favorite Bronco!

tsiguy96
08-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Link

I don't remember this but he likely told mCd "ya ya you guys are building a great think by trading Cutler away and seeing what you can get out of Orton and wasting picks trading up for Smith. I will have my agent call you..."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/03/04/leonhard-i-made-the-right-decision/

Bigdawg26
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
That's a good signing! Nice depth, but also tells me that Q. Carter is pretty banged up!

Bacchus
08-04-2012, 10:58 PM
No harm in adding depth especially for just a one year deal. Good move.

yeah, I agree. He is a solid vet. I was against it hoping to develope the young talent but with Carter's injury it is a good signing. I do worry that he will be a little better than Bruton and Bruton will get released. Bruton's play has been uneven to say the least but he is a great special team's player and a very good tackler with lots of upside.

Raider9175
08-05-2012, 06:19 AM
@JasonLaCanfora
Free agent S Jim Leonhard has agreed on a 1-year deal w/Denver. Worked out there today, a day after visiting Buffalo. Bills also made offer

Every AFc west offense knows who to attack now in coverage. I love when a 5'8 185 pound safety tries to bring the wood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04NYILScAE ( nice tackle JIMMY boy at 45 yard line- NOt)

There a reason a Jet team dying for good safety play didn't want him back. Try to spin that fact into something positive. This was a desperation move by a team that obviously hurting at safety. Unfortunately for the Broncos he's not that good. Tell me what happens when JIm Loenhard 185 pounds meets a 6'4 265 pound te. (who do you like coming out ahead there)

HorseHead
08-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks Capt. Buzzkill above...

Actually, nice little Sunday surprise..he (Leonard) can ball a bit...on board with this one..

Raider9175
08-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks Capt. Buzzkill above...

Actually, nice little Sunday surprise..he (Leonard) can ball a bit...on board with this one..

Only people who are more exciting about Jim Leonhard signing with Denver, is opposing team offense that play the Bronco's this year.

You really haven't seen Leonhard play with the Jets the last couple of years. Every opposing team has tried to match up with him in coverge. A 5'8 185 pound ss is what the rest of the AFc west Rb's are terrified about. Okay you believe that one I have a bridge to sell you.

HorseHead
08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
What do you have against 5' 8" white guys? You're racist...I kid..I kid..

Ease up troll, not a bad guy to have around..

Punisher
08-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Nice Signing

Pony Boy
08-05-2012, 07:14 AM
I Vote Yes

Raider9175
08-05-2012, 07:19 AM
What do you have against 5' 8" white guys? You're racist...I kid..I kid..

Ease up troll, not a bad guy to have around..
JIm Leonhard is a class act. The problem is he has severe limitations as a football player.
JMO There is no way to spin this as a good signing for the Bronco's. I guess you have to find out the hard way.

Mediator12
08-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Only people who are more exciting about Jim Leonhard signing with Denver, is opposing team offense that play the Bronco's this year.

You really haven't seen Leonhard play with the Jets the last couple of years. Every opposing team has tried to match up with him in coverge. A 5'8 185 pound ss is what the rest of the AFc west Rb's are terrified about. Okay you believe that one I have a bridge to sell you.

Actually, I believe you have not watched him play. Teams with huge WR's or TE's like NE would love to match him up, that's the NFL. However, if you look at who they actually threw at on the Jets when he played you would be mistaken to say Leonard was the liability in coverage you say he was.

Also, the kid lays wood in the running game. Just like tiny Rb's who hide with the ball behind huge lineman, so does Leonard. He is harder for the RB's to find in the trash and avoid. And despite your one lowlight video, he has a reputation for making the play in space. Something OAK's safeties wish they could do.....

Bmore Manning
08-05-2012, 07:47 AM

I continually find you posting more BS on here, pretending as though you have a deep rooted knowledge on everything NFL. Stick with your boy McBrittle, and the washed up Palmer. I live in Baltimore, I watched plenty of Leonard. He can blitz, cover, and tackle, he's very football smart. Sure he is no physical specimen, but he makes up for what he lacks physically with his intelligence. He can cover, in fact that's one of his stronger attributes. It's not like people never miss a tackle, remember when Jacobs trucked Larron Landry? Landry is as big as some LBs. I assure you a guy like Leonard was a great acquisition for special teams, and matching up in coverage. Youll see know it all.

JCMElway
08-05-2012, 08:40 AM

He's STILL tearing this team apart!!!

errand
08-05-2012, 09:28 AM
yeah, I agree. He is a solid vet. I was against it hoping to develope the young talent but with Carter's injury it is a good signing. I do worry that he will be a little better than Bruton and Bruton will get released. Bruton's play has been uneven to say the least but he is a great special team's player and a very good tackler with lots of upside.

If he's better than Bruton, why would you be upset? If Bruton wants a job, he needs to step it up, correct?

Raider9175
08-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I continually find you posting more BS on here, pretending as though you have a deep rooted knowledge on everything NFL. Stick with your boy McBrittle, and the washed up Palmer. I live in Baltimore, I watched plenty of Leonard. He can blitz, cover, and tackle, he's very football smart. Sure he is no physical specimen, but he makes up for what he lacks physically with his intelligence. He can cover, in fact that's one of his stronger attributes. It's not like people never miss a tackle, remember when Jacobs trucked Larron Landry? Landry is as big as some LBs. I assure you a guy like Leonard was a great acquisition for special teams, and matching up in coverage. Youll see know it all.

You clearly don't know what your talking about. How many years ago did you watch Leonhard play again . Like with Peyton manning things don't always stay the same.

The fact is every opposing team have been going after the 5'8 185 pounder Leonhard quite frequently and his lack of size has been a major obstacle .
Oh we will see because you obviously don't know what your talking about.

Lets see with the undersized Dumerville and now you add a 5'8 185 pound safety to your defense. DMc should have 100 yards by halftime running against the Bronco's defense.

errand
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Every AFc west offense knows who to attack now in coverage.

Yes, they do...and we got one of the greatest all-time QB's to attack your team's coverage....this is gonna be one fun season

There a reason a Jet team dying for good safety play didn't want him back. Try to spin that fact into something positive.

and there was a reason the Bengals didn't do whatever they could to keep Palmer.....one man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm gonna guess Leonhard contributes more to our team than Palmer will to yours in the overall big picture

This was a desperation move by a team that obviously hurting at safety. Unfortunately for the Broncos he's not that good. Tell me what happens when JIm Loenhard 185 pounds meets a 6'4 265 pound te. (who do you like coming out ahead there)

Yeah, he's a bit undersize, and probably would get banged up going head to head with a much bigger physical TE...but most safeties do. I personally don't expect to see any big hits like, I dunno....Atwater on Okoye, or Mays on Moeaki

in bold

errand
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
DMc should have 100 yards by halftime running against the Bronco's defense.

...if he isn't injured that is, right?

Bmore Manning
08-05-2012, 10:08 AM
You clearly don't know what your talking about. How many years ago did you watch Leonhard play again . Like with Peyton manning things don't always stay the same.

The fact is every opposing team have been going after the 5'8 185 pounder Leonhard quite frequently and his lack of size has been a major obstacle .

Lets see with the undersized Dumerville and now you add a 5'8 185 pound safety to your defense. DMc should have 100 yards by halftime running against the Bronco's defense.

Being that I am an advid football fan, I watched Leonard's duration with Baltimore and NY. Leonard was used all the time in coverage match-ups in Baltimore and NY by Rex, so I don't think you watch, or know what your watching. Just because you saw a white safety get beat doesn't mean it was Leonard, Eric Smith. You keep prying on his height, but I am telling you Leonard is crafty, and good in coverage.

illbroncsfn
08-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Very solid signing by the Broncos!

SportinOne
08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
As far as punt return duties go: We have Sydquan Thompson. I wouldn't mind seeing DT back there either, just as long as he's not on kickoff return. That' where Leonard may have some value. Takes a bit of a tougher player to return the kickoffs and if he gets hurt, whatever. Unless they really think he can be a leader in the secondary. We'll see. For now, we just added a veteran with some talent, we should be happy about this.

vancejohnson82
08-05-2012, 10:34 AM

you dont watch or know football

The entire jets organization raves about Leonard and the loss of his presence....it was a major issue and talking point for them as training camp opened

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-05-2012, 10:51 AM
This raider fan has no clue about football let alone jets football. Leonard called the signals from the sidelines. Smartest player on that team. Durable for his size. Bob sanders is small did he suck? He just had injury issues. Antoine Winfield is small do offenses target him? Size only matters if you suck. Leonard is an upgrade from carter and Moore. The question you should be asking is not why did the broncos pick up leonard, its why am I following a team with the worst record over a decade of disaster?

Turd_Ferguson
08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Mediator12
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM

You are a rival fan on another teams board posting a subjective view that you have Zero crediblity in applying. Yet, you just want us to believe you based on the fact that Leonard is short and got cut for medical reasons?

Dude, grow up and realize no one here is going to take a raider fan for their word without some evidence to the contrary. And stop adding on extra stuff like Dumervil's height as a add on. He has more sacks in the NFL than any Raider in the last 20 years and he is not done yet. And No, Warren Sapp's total in TB does not count.....

ozomulsion
08-05-2012, 12:15 PM
That's a good signing! Nice depth, but also tells me that Q. Carter is pretty banged up!

He's hands down an improvment over Bruton. I highly doubt Carter's injury has anything to do with this very good signing.

cutthemdown
08-05-2012, 01:04 PM
This maybe means Carters gimpy knee a tad worst then we thought. It's also bad news for Bush he's dust. Its bad news for The Duke also. Maybe practice squad for him.

cutthemdown
08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
He's hands down an improvment over Bruton. I highly doubt Carter's injury has anything to do with this very good signing.

I think you are wrong it has a little to do with that. But also he can return punts and is probably as good as any safety we have right now, making it a no brainer. Our safetys just all sort of avg players IMO. But I think there is some depth there this yr and a lot of hard working lunch pail types in Adams and Leonard. Really Moore the only one with real athleticism IMO, he needs to step up.

Requiem
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
This is a solid signing. Can't really lose with this. I wonder if this means that David Bruton's days in Denver are numbered, but I'm hoping we keep five safeties: Adams, Leonhard, Moore, Carter and Bruton. Does anyone remember how many safeties we had on the active roster last year when we started the season?

Mogulseeker
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
I think you are wrong it has a little to do with that. But also he can return punts and is probably as good as any safety we have right now, making it a no brainer. Our safetys just all sort of avg players IMO. But I think there is some depth there this yr and a lot of hard working lunch pail types in Adams and Leonard. Really Moore the only one with real athleticism IMO, he needs to step up.

Moore was pretty good until you asked him to tackle somebody.

BMarsh615
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
@caplannfl 23m
#Broncos placed veteran S Jim Leonhard on active/PUP list as he gets in condition to practice.

baja
08-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Why do people change thread titles?

If something changes or there is a new development post it in it's natural time flow ie the next new post - don't change the damn title and make the rest of us think it is a new thread.

Mogulseeker
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
@caplannfl 23m

Fatty.

~Crash~
08-05-2012, 06:49 PM

had his knee scoped ouy two weeks

Ziggy
08-05-2012, 07:07 PM
This is a solid signing. Can't really lose with this. I wonder if this means that David Bruton's days in Denver are numbered, but I'm hoping we keep five safeties: Adams, Leonhard, Moore, Carter and Bruton. Does anyone remember how many safeties we had on the active roster last year when we started the season?

I think we keep 5 safeties and dump Sid Quan.

cutthemdown
08-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Moore was pretty good until you asked him to tackle somebody.

Tackling from the safety spot can be tough. Often the other play at full speed already. A bad angle can leave you out of position and boom the guy is gone. Hes going to be a good player IMO. He has great ball skills but they won't show until he gets comfortable.

broncosteven
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I think we keep 5 safeties and dump Sid Quan.

I would almost rather see Bruton gone but I guess he is a decent STer.

Didn't Squid have a couple good run backs the last couple years?

Agamemnon
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Why do people change thread titles?

If something changes or there is a new development post it in it's natural time flow ie the next new post - don't change the damn title and make the rest of us think it is a new thread.

^This.

broncos-rock
08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Squid looked good in the scrimage especially as a returner. I would be surprised if he didn't make the team!

ZONA
08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
I think monster safety hits are nice but I'll take a guy that just knows how to wrap up and get the guy down vs the safety that goes for the big hit and gets a few of those but whiffs on many others. I will say though, at 185 pounds for a safety is little. Dude better be able to run like a deer being that light.

ZONA
08-06-2012, 02:15 AM

This....