PDA

View Full Version : American Football in the Olympics?

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I just heard that it meets IOC requirements to be a olympic sport. Would you like to see real football as a olympic sport?

ludo21
08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
watching olympic and international basketball is painnnfullll

i cant imagine watching foobtall would be any better

Tombstone RJ
08-03-2012, 02:09 PM
nope, b/c it will jack with college and maybe NFL football. However, I bet the USA could line up some HS kids and still win the gold.. but then you'd be jacking with HS football players right around the time two-a-days are starting.

Well maybe Pop Warner kids then? I'm thinking the USA would still have a decent shot at the gold...

bronco militia
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
http://bestcoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Implied-Facepalm.jpg

chrisp
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
No - becuase it would be just like basketball with you guys winning all the time - except unlike basketball the other nations wouldn't catch up eventually....

Throughout europe and the rest of the world basketball is played through school, so although the NBA is the premier pro league by a wide margin, the sport is not alien to the rest of the world as you might think, and the gap between the US and everybody else was not as big as it looked in the late 90s when the NBA players got involved. Now olympic basketball is actually competitive.

American football is a different matter though. It is not played through school anywhere other than in the states so other countries are just not capable of producing NFL-level players. They would have to keep the pros out or it would turn ugly, but I'm not sure they can do that if they don't do it in other sports any more.

Don't get me wrong - I'm massively into the idea of spreading the sport around the globe as much as possible, but I think Olympics is not a realistic proposition.

Interesting thought though!

Irish Stout
08-03-2012, 02:14 PM
If there was actually any decent competition, then yes. Even though I am proud of every USA sport in the Olympics, there is no reason to watch them when domination is absolutely guaranteed to occur. Like the USA basketball team. I don't need to watch them play 10 games where they win by 40 points over hapless Cambodia every night.

Although it would be sweet to see a team where Peyton is the 3rd string QB.

Golf should be in though.

chrisp
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Would you like to see real football as a olympic sport?

We already do - 'soccer' as you call it has been in there for a while :wave:

......now I run and hide!!!!:giggle:

Kaylore
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
It would be so stupid.

Mogulseeker
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
It's unrealistic, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like the IFAF at the Olympic level.

There is a world cup of "Gridiron" football every year. And the US dominates.

And they're not pro, either - just to give you an idea, the US won the last IFAF world cup over Canada 50-7, and their quarterback was Cody Hawkins.

Boobs McGee
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
The only thing I'd be worried about, is the potential fallout when the players get accused (and proven) of using PED's. That wouldn't be the greatest thing ever.

Mogulseeker
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
There are too many variants of the game - association football, gridiron football, rugby football, canadian gridiron football, Australian rules football.

They're all similar sports... so there would have to be a standardization - and a compromise of the rules.

The end product probably wouldn't look much like the NFL.

Still, the US would dominate... with Canada, Australia, Mexico, Japan, the polynesian countries... and maybe the rugby countries like South Africa, New Zealand and Ireland bringing up the second tier... and then everybody else.

JLesSPE
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I think the level of our athletes would not only represent a competitive imbalance but a physical threat to other teams. I mean if you make an NFL dream team and let them play Tunisia...people would get hurt. Personally I would watch the hell out of that, but I doubt the rest of the world would be too impressed.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I doubt NFL players wouldn't want to play but, I think USA would still win. Part of me thinks it would open up a way for the NFL to find international talent in the long run though.

Chris
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
What crisp said. Also there are too many positions for another country to even consider putting in the effort to contend.

Now a USA vs world players game would be fun and an incentive for other countries to get their **** together.

Mogulseeker
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
The problem is there are only so many athletes a country can send to the olympics. An American Football team would take up a significant chunk of that.

TheChamp24
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
lol
1. No NFL player would do this
2. Nobody really outside of the USA I imagine plays football

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
lol
1. No NFL player would do this
2. Nobody really outside of the USA I imagine plays football

64 countires play football according to Goodell and Aarron Rodgers said he would be honored to play for USA.

Taco John
08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't care to see it. It's such a specialized sport that it would be pointless to watch. It would be like watching a game of Pros vs. high schoolers. Maybe even worse than that.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
64 countires play football according to Goodell and Aarron Rodgers said he would be honored to play for USA.

I didn't really understand his point. Couldn't find 64 countries and the ones I did find have completely different rules. No one outside the US plays NFL type football that I can find. Everything from different sized fields to less downs etc

I could see Aaron Rogers jumping at the chance, but I can also see the packers FO and the pocket that pays Rogers saying a hellzz no

Meck77
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
It would be worse than watching the pro bowl. I wouldn't mind watching us kick the snot out of China or Iran though. Winner takes the oil, gold, nukes etc.

razorwire77
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Not gonna lie, it would be funny to watch a Chinaman try to block Mario Williams.

cutthemdown
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
It's not played enough. Baseball yes but major league won't let players play so no go anymore.

Maybe golf?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
http://bestcoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Implied-Facepalm.jpg

This

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
There are def football leagues around the world, but they play in front of like 3 people and probably pay for their own equipment.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Closest you're ever going to get is the World Football Championship or whatever the hell it is that Cody Hawkins played in last year. And it's abysmal.

UberBroncoMan
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Not gonna lie, it would be funny to watch a Chinaman try to block Mario Williams.

Give China a few years and they'll have people who can do it. It's like the USSR all over again. They take children from the population and inject them into sport schools for the sole purpose of winning Gold Medals. What we've seen the last few Olympics is just the beginning. They're already starting to medal a lot in swimming.

Not sure why everyone is so against it though. I think American Football in the Olympics would be pretty fun to watch. It's not like any NFL players would be in it anyway since they're in Training Camp and readying up for the season. More like college sophomores and juniors.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Give China a few years and they'll have people who can do it. It's like the USSR all over again. They take children from the population and inject them into sport schools for the sole purpose of winning Gold Medals. What we've seen the last few Olympics is just the beginning. They're already starting to medal a lot in swimming.

Not sure why everyone is so against it though. I think American Football in the Olympics would be pretty fun to watch. It's not like any NFL players would be in it anyway since they're in Training Camp and readying up for the season. More like college sophomores and juniors.

it'd be real ****ty football. The game is too nuanced to get a team ready in like 2 weeks. It would just be an excuse to give the USA another gold. Why not also play netball, cricket, and rugby.

cutthemdown
08-03-2012, 04:34 PM
For a sport to make Olympics is has to be played all over the world. American football doesn't live up to that standard yet.

Baseball does.

BroncoBeavis
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Would be better than those first few "Dream Team" basketball Olympics. At least there'd be plenty of physical comedy to enjoy. Might get old after awhile.

But like Drunk said, the NFL'd never have it, so that's out. They might let you take practice squad guys or something. But even with that, and other ex-college players who didn't make the NFL cut, we'd dominate.

Isn't gonna happen though. Rugby might be more realistic.

edit: Never mind... looks like Rugby's already approved for 2016. Golf too. That should be fun.

Broncobiv
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see rugby in the Olympics before football. For the sole reason that so many countries already play rugby (including enough Americans that we can field a very competitive team).

Still, it would probably always come down to Australia, England, and New Zealand each Olympics just like the Rugby World Cup. But it'd be a hell of a lot more competitive for the "world" in general than football would be.

Just like soccer has a handful of favorites, pretty much the same ones each time, but it is still fairly balanced in the grand scheme of things. So yeah, add rugby, not football!

Jason in LA
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The only way this would work is if they used semi pro players. Who really cares if they get hurt or cannot prepare for their seasons? What ever team that they play for could use it as a marketing tool.

Even with semi pro players, most of whom have played since they were kids and most played college ball, they'd still kill the rest of the world. That's how far ahead of the world we are in football.

Doesn't the Canadian league play in the spring? And aren't most of those players from the US? Send them.

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I think the level of our athletes would not only represent a competitive imbalance but a physical threat to other teams. I mean if you make an NFL dream team and let them play Tunisia...people would get hurt. Personally I would watch the hell out of that, but I doubt the rest of the world would be too impressed.

It would be like watching the 98 Broncos throttling a peewee team on a global level. People bitch about USA Basketball running up the score, the crying would reach a whole new level watching american football players destroy other nations.

extralife
08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a really awful idea.

Beyond the competition, how are you going to fit enough games for an entire tournament in a 17 day (or whatever) time span? You want teams playing a game every two days? It's absurd. The pro bowl also tells us something about getting together a bunch of guys that don't play together regularly for a short period of time. Who is coming up with a playbook? Where's the time to learn it?

Competition wise, you have two choices: use recent college grads with zero professional prospects, which is what would happen, or far more unrealistically you use real players and run the very real risk of killing people from the other teams. I mean actually, literally killing them. It's ok for USA basketball to beat Nigeria by 83 points, but football is a physical game. What happens when Patrick Willis drills some guy from Croatia? It's not safe.

KipCorrington25
08-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Worst idea ever, final score USA 170, Angola 0.

ZONA
08-04-2012, 02:23 AM
NFL Europe was lame

American Football in the Olympics would be stupid lame

Not even sure any of the guys would even play to be honest. It's such a physical spot, they wouldn't risk the injury and I'm sure their contracts would not allow it either. Face the facts, it's not exactly like soccer or basketball. Way too physical. I mean, heck, they players union is trying to cut the preseason games to 2 and they have already limited how many practices in pads these guys get. Olympics, no way.

Mogulseeker
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Again, most countries have an international gridiron football team. I think one of the requirements for Olympic eligibility is that there has to be something like 32 national teams in the sport. There are nearly double the amount of international gridiron teams. They play in a league called the IFAF.

The US won the last IFAF World Cup over Canada 50-7.

The quarterback for the US team is former Colorado Buff Cody Hawkins.

Most countries have a Gridiron Football team... but most of them would lose to an average Division I NCAA team.

Mogulseeker
08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I think the game would catch on a little if it were an olympic sport. When I studied abroad in college, I lived in and International dorm, I streamed every Broncos game.

My friends from Sweden, Australia, and Spain all couldn't get enough of the sport.

Problem is the US is a big country and everyone plays the game. The US would always be dominant.

Broncobiv
08-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Beyond the competition, how are you going to fit enough games for an entire tournament in a 17 day (or whatever) time span? You want teams playing a game every two days? It's absurd.

This is probably the biggest point, besides the lack of competition from most other countries. Due to the physicality of the sport, only one game per week is played on every level of competitive football (high school, college, pros). How can you squeeze in an entire tournament in approximately 2 weeks??

Lycan
08-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I'll watch pretty much any level of football, so if it were to happen I would definitely be watching.

The logistics of it would be pretty tough to iron out though. Any way you slice it the NFL or NCAA would not be happy campers.

Lomax
08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
This is probably the biggest point, besides the lack of competition from most other countries. Due to the physicality of the sport, only one game per week is played on every level of competitive football (high school, college, pros). How can you squeeze in an entire tournament in approximately 2 weeks??

They could do qualifiers over several months and then the best 8 countries have a playoff during the games. If there is a cap on the number of athletes a country can send, that would obviously have to be raised.

I think it would be tough to put a quality product on the field though. Its not like other sports where you can just assemble a team and have a few practices and be ready to play. It takes months for seasoned players to learn a new system, understand the playbook and terminology and execute it on the field, all while building chemistry with their teammates.

To me, that's a bigger challenge than finding players. Also, how many countries would even want to participate? Smaller countries have no shot to even field a team, so that leaves just the big countries. Outside of Canada, who else could field a team who would even want to play?

Agamemnon
08-05-2012, 01:29 AM
They're never going to add a sport that only one country is truly enthusiastic about. I mean the teams other countries would field would probably get beat by good high school teams from the US. It would probably take many decades before the US lost a single game for God's sake. And that's not even taking into account all the logistical issues others have brought up.

spdirty
08-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Timmy Try Hard could play for the Philippines. Thatd be fun and interesting.

DenverBrit
08-05-2012, 01:38 PM
We'll see beer pong before football. ;)

It would take decades to even field a competitive team, and even then it would have to be the US vs the world. Never going to happen.

As one poster has mentioned, Rugby would be a much better Olympic sport.

bombay
08-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Absurd idea. The probability of serious injuries would be high.

eddie mac
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
How on earth does it meet IOC requirements when it is not a global national team sport??? No country in the world has a national team.

Baseball will be made an Olympic sport long before american football ever becomes one as nations compete against each other.

Golf amongst other sports will be introduced to the Olympics in 2016 if they can find a decent course in Brazil.