PDA

View Full Version : Hunter takes over Ayers starting spot

broncosteven
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/08/02/hunter-up-ayers-down-at-de/

Is the above just a TC motivation ploy or is Hunter going to send Ayers to the bench.

I am sure Ayers will still get some good running down snaps but he may be coming off the field more often than he used to.

Ayers always seemed to be able to push the edge back but never seemed to have the gas left to make a move and get to the QB. Plus he always seemed to me to be more of 1 trick pony. Maybe this will motivate him more?

rbackfactory80
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
not buyin it.

McDman
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Ayers has been very good on the run but apparently Hunter has looked wild this camp.

Lolad
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Ayers has been very good on the run but apparently Hunter has looked wild this camp.

Ayers has had his "moments" both good and bad vs. The run. If hunter is practicing with a passion to see more snaps then have at it. Ayers IMO has shown very little production especially being a 1st pick.

cmhargrove
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
It could be true, but don't read anything into the depth chart at this point. These coaches are doing a great job of rotating everyone into different packages.

Ty Warren was also running with the second team, and from all accounts he has been a brick wall against the run this camp. We know that he is our day 1 starter in the middle of the line. I also think they had Jeremy Beal playing some first team d-line.

This depth chart will be very erratic for a while (as these coaches have shown). However, reports are that Hunter has been extremely aggressive and disruptive. Competition is good, and Ayers better be looking over his shoulder.

mwill07
08-03-2012, 11:47 AM
some other quotes from JDR, per CBSsportsline (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19713997/a-great-start-to-camp-has-earned-broncos-de-jason-hunter-a-promotion-to-first-team):

"I love Jason," said Del Rio. "Jason is a rugged defensive lineman; that's what we're looking for with our defensive line. He plays with great temperament, toughness, attitude. Every day he brings it with passion...I haven't seen (Hunter) yet not be ramped up and ready to play hard and tough," Del Rio said. "So that's why he's running with the ones right now. We're going to play the guys that are the most dependable, the toughest, the most physical up front and he's being all that right now for us."

and then,

"Robert has talent," Del Rio said. "He's working hard. He's probably working harder than he has in a while. We'll just continue to let camp play out and let things sort themselves out. But at this point, a week into it, Jason's had a stronger start to camp. That's all."

I heard the interview yesterday on 104.3. There's more that JDR said that CBS ommitted - DMac asked JDR if there is something else that he needs to see from Ayers after JDR got done praising Hunter, and he basically said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "yeah, what I just got done talking about with Jason. We need to see more of that," and then he continued on with "Robert has talent" bit above.

so, basically I'm taking away three things here:

a fire has been lit under Hunter, and he's realizing that he's played for 3 teams in 5 years. As a 28 year old, he may not have much time left in the NFL and he's giving it everything he's got. Alfred was talking yesterday about how it took him 5 years in the league to begin playing with a sense of urgency. Hooray for Hunter for fulfilling his potential.
this is a ploy to motivate Ayers. This is a wake-up call - a concrete demotion, followed out by being called out in the press. It's time for Mr Ayers to step up his game and get after it.
a difference in style between JDR and DA. JDR was a fiery guy - he played with passion, he expects to see passion from his players. Not sure if that's what DA was all about. The fact that JDR says that Ayers is "probably working harder than he has in a while" and that it still isn't enough says to me that he hasn't been working hard enough up until now.

mwill07
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
also - from Cecil Lammey's notes: (http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=647898&view=findpost&p=14600704)

Jason Hunter is a man on a mission. Not only is he getting in a fight/shoving match every day but hes also in on every run play. He lit up McGahee on the inside during 9-on-7 drills.

Rabb
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
also - from Cecil Lammey's notes: (http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=647898&view=findpost&p=14600704)

I just want a guy with the last name Hunter to be a ****ing bad ass

is that too much to ask?

Requiem
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
May the best man win. Regardless, Denver needs to come out of this next draft or free agency with another edge man.

Houshyamama
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Put the best 11 on the field.

Heyneck
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I just want a guy with the last name Hunter to be a ****ing bad ass

is that too much to ask?

That would be sweet!

DENVERDUI55
08-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I like hearing Hunter is fighting and creating havoc. We need the attitude that has been missing since Romo was here. I'm sure both will log a lot of minutes.

Heyneck
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I like hearing Hunter is fighting and creating havoc. We need the attitude that has been missing since Romo was here. I'm sure both will log a lot of minutes.

Al Wilson was nasty too!!! Damn nasty!!! Maybe not spit in your face nasty... but nasty either way.

DENVERDUI55
08-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Al Wilson was nasty too!!! Damn nasty!!! Maybe not spit in your face nasty... but nasty either way.

He was but I loved the Romo talking shiat after a play and backing it up. He was our best playmaking LB we have had in awhile. He always stepped up and made a big INT, sack or fumble when we needed it. His speech on the field after first Superbowl was one of my favorites. I loved the AFC champ game when he was pounding his head to kordell Stewart after his INTs.

Drek
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Yeah, because players who can't keep their **** in check during camp are sure to be penalty free come the regular season.

How 'bout they play with motivation and passion without being knuckleheads who need to start fights/shoving matches? That'd be real cool.

As for Ayers, sounds like this is about what he needs to take the next step in terms of commitment. He's been in the league long enough to start diversifying his tool set, he can't just rely on his power indefinitely and be something worthwhile.

I don't see us starting Hunter at strong side end come the regular season though. If Ayers doesn't step up to the challenge we'll just see a lot of Wolfe and maybe Jackson there along with Ayers on early downs, with Hunter taking over on passing downs. We can't expect a DE tandem of Hunter and Doom to be anything but awful against the run.

Hell, as it is I'm hoping they greatly reduce Doom's snaps in obvious running situations this season now that we've got a host of bigger bodies who can play DE.

cmhargrove
08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I think it's great that Hunter stepped up, it's easy to cheer for a guy who used to be a cop - we need more of those guys on the team.

wait, er.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/I-REALLY-dont-think-hes-****ing-around.jpg

Drunk Monkey
08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
He was but I loved the Romo talking shiat after a play and backing it up. He was our best playmaking LB we have had in awhile. He always stepped up and made a big INT, sack or fumble when we needed it. His speech on the field after first Superbowl was one of my favorites. I loved the AFC champ game when he was pounding his head to kordell Stewart after his INTs.

I don't think Romo would mesh very well with the new kinder cuddlier NFL. Something tells me he would spend a lot of time in Rodgers office.

DENVERDUI55
08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah, because players who can't keep their **** in check during camp are sure to be penalty free come the regular season.

How 'bout they play with motivation and passion without being knuckleheads who need to start fights/shoving matches? That'd be real cool.

As for Ayers, sounds like this is about what he needs to take the next step in terms of commitment. He's been in the league long enough to start diversifying his tool set, he can't just rely on his power indefinitely and be something worthwhile.

I don't see us starting Hunter at strong side end come the regular season though. If Ayers doesn't step up to the challenge we'll just see a lot of Wolfe and maybe Jackson there along with Ayers on early downs, with Hunter taking over on passing downs. We can't expect a DE tandem of Hunter and Doom to be anything but awful against the run.

Hell, as it is I'm hoping they greatly reduce Doom's snaps in obvious running situations this season now that we've got a host of bigger bodies who can play DE.
I'll take the penalty now and then if it comes with making plays. I have no problem with it.

BroncoBeavis
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
More than any single player on D, I think JDR is the biggest offseason acquisition this year.

Vegas_Bronco
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Dont forget that romo was just the vessel, it was a cocktail of chemicals that really made those moments special.

Kaylore
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Hunter was easily the most vocal player on the line in camp. If you guys get a chance, listen to Del Rio's interview and he's asked specifically about Hunter and Ayers. Hunter is very clearly one of Del Rio's guys. I can tell you right now that if Hunter is playing on the line it is going to cause problems for the other team. Not just against the run but because Hunter never shuts his pie hole and is always trying to start crap with the linemen. It will send a message to the defense that that they want this to be a nasty one that plays with intensity.

uplink
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Yeah watch Romo on the 1st
atlanta series of the Super Bowl. He was blasting throught blockers selling out to disruping the blocking on every running play, I think that set the tone for the game.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Someday I hope we don't have to drop a fromer first round player on the depth chart just get him "motivated".

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-03-2012, 02:26 PM

How about they put in the player who wants to be in there the most? Watching this defense last few years at times they look like they don't even want to be out there. Just goin through the motions and collecting a paycheck. Need some fire under them and del rio is the remedy for that. Weeding out the 80%ers for 100s

oubronco
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Hunter was easily the most vocal player on the line in camp. If you guys get a chance, listen to Del Rio's interview and he's asked specifically about Hunter and Ayers. Hunter is very clearly one of Del Rio's guys. I can tell you right now that if Hunter is playing on the line it is going to cause problems for the other team. Not just against the run but because Hunter never shuts his pie hole and is always trying to start crap with the linemen. It will send a message to the defense that that they want this to be a nasty one that plays with intensity.

Good it's about time

Tombstone RJ
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Good it's about time

yah, having a defense that has a nasty attitude is a good thing. The Broncos haven't had that since Wilson was starting at MLB. If Del Rio does one thing, I'd like to see him give this defense an identity, an attitude and confidence. Of course it will always take talent to win but having that in-your-face attitude from a few guys (not saying they all have to be that way but maybe one nasty lineman, one nasty LBer and one nasty DB) can really rub off on the whole team.

Bacchus
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/08/02/hunter-up-ayers-down-at-de/

Is the above just a TC motivation ploy or is Hunter going to send Ayers to the bench.

I am sure Ayers will still get some good running down snaps but he may be coming off the field more often than he used to.

Ayers always seemed to be able to push the edge back but never seemed to have the gas left to make a move and get to the QB. Plus he always seemed to me to be more of 1 trick pony. Maybe this will motivate him more?

I just got done watching the PO game against Pittsburgh and Ayers had two sacks that game. I have been reading tha thUnter has been having a good camp so this I believe is very good news.

broncosteven
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah watch Romo on the 1st
atlanta series of the Super Bowl. He was blasting throught blockers selling out to disruping the blocking on every running play, I think that set the tone for the game.

Or the 1998 AFC Championship game, he was a beast in the 2nd half and likely played with a concussion after his hit on Martin (I think) coming out of the backfield on a swing (or maybe it was a WR on a curl?)

Anyway Romo had a couple FF's and fumble recoveries that game and kept the jets from scoring via some late turnovers on our side of the field when they were driving.

Chris
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Love it worry about hunter then doom and miller will knock you into pieces that are digested in mid air by the killer manatee Ty warren.

Bigdawg26
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Jason Hunter to me was always the better pass rusher than Ayers. I just thought Ayers fit better with Von Miller on his side because he was like an extra DT and Miller was the DE.

Bacchus
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Love it worry about hunter then doom and miller will knock you into pieces that are digested in mid air by the killer manatee Ty warren.

Have The Hunter and The Wolfe starting with Ty and Doom.

McDman
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Ayers has had his "moments" both good and bad vs. The run. If hunter is practicing with a passion to see more snaps then have at it. Ayers IMO has shown very little production especially being a 1st pick.

Go to Itsalloverfatman.com and read the articles on him. They are very good and show how he is under appreciated. I'd link them but I'm on my phone.

McDman
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Was it Hunter that threw up right before the snap and then played the down a couple of years ago. I feel like he has been on this roster than it seems but I can't remember when he got here.

Maybe it was someone else.

Garcia Bronco
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
It'll be a rotation...so I am unsure how this is any indication of anything.

Garcia Bronco
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Was it Hunter that threw up right before the snap and then played the down a couple of years ago. I feel like he has been on this roster than it seems but I can't remember when he got here.

Chuckawarrick...or whatever that dudes names was.

underrated29
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

Chucky.

You are thinking of patrick chukwara. We traded him to the bucs a while back. It was when shanny was still coach.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

Nope. that was Moss. he played the entire second half of a preseason game.

Drek
08-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Go to Itsalloverfatman.com and read the articles on him. They are very good and show how he is under appreciated. I'd link them but I'm on my phone.

He is good against the run, and that is an important role to have someone fill on the strong side as it gives Miller more latitude to make plays.

But Ayers is now going into the point of his career where it's time to step forward and become an every down guy or find himself in a clear cut rotation.

This is Del Rio calling Ayers out in that regard. This isn't Ayers' role on the team being threatened, it's Ayers' being called on to give more than he has to this point.

As Garcia said a little bit down, this is going to be a heavy rotation no matter what assuming we don't get hit with a tidal wave of DL injuries. This is a challenge being issued to Ayers that if he wants any of his snaps to come on 3rd and long he's got to earn them, because Hunter sure as hell wants 'em.

Punisher
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Haven't heard much from the guy besides the switching of Linebacker to DE and some stabbing incident. Lets see what he does in pre season

cutthemdown
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Ayers not a playmaker so I'm not surprised coaches looking at what they can do at the LDE spot. Considering that side has Miller to worry about you would think he could get some extra sacks. Really though he seems super avg since he came into the league.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Why are we freaking out? I was hoping that the Mcdumbass era would yield something like the Wade era. We might find a Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, of sort in our ranks. That is simply not the case. I'm just glad that he only lasted 1 3/4 of a year. Think of the damage he would have caused if he was allowed just one more year. :puke:

Bacchus
08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Why are we freaking out? I was hoping that the Mcdumbass era would yield something like the Wade era. We might find a Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, of sort in our ranks. That is simply not the case. I'm just glad that he only lasted 1 3/4 of a year. Think of the damage he would have caused if he was allowed just one more year. :puke:

Nalen was from the SHanny era, 1995.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Nalen was from the SHanny era, 1995.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nalen

Nalen was drafted by the Denver Broncos with the 218th overall pick in the seventh round of the 1994 NFL Draft and played primarily at center. He won two Super Bowls as a member of the Broncos and played in five Pro Bowls. Six different running backs have had 1,000-yard rushing seasons behind Nalen and the Broncos'

Bacchus
08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nalen

My bad:kiss::kiss::kiss:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-03-2012, 07:13 PM
My bad:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Its all good. Nalen didn't start til Shanahan took over. Same for hot Rod. Lots of people make that mistake.

errand
08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Wow...first we got bronco fans that didn't want Elway as our VP...then they didn't want Manning as our QB...and now they don't want a player to have the same intensity and attitude that Romo had. what's next? Bronco fans not wanting a TE that can go deep and make plays?

WTF is wrong with some of you?

Lestat
08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
sounds like a warning and wake up call to Ayers more than anything else.

Drek
08-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Wow...first we got bronco fans that didn't want Elway as our VP...then they didn't want Manning as our QB...and now they don't want a player to have the same intensity and attitude that Romo had. what's next? Bronco fans not wanting a TE that can go deep and make plays?

WTF is wrong with some of you?

Romo in today's NFL would lose you as many games as he'd win. He'd have games where he racks up more penalty yards than the opposing RB does.

There isn't a coincidence that the least penalized teams in any given season are also the most productive. With Manning at QB the last thing we need is for our defense to start giving up free first downs and keeping Manning off the field.

Champ plays tough. He isn't a penalty waiting to happen. Doom plays tough. Neither is he. Same could be said for Miller. Al Wilson was a beast but he wasn't a flag machine.

So why take the bad with the good when the bad isn't required?

2KBack
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM

Aren't our top 2 WR acquisitions from the McDaniels area, and our Starting MLB, and the "QB" that a great many fans still wish was one the team?

I am a big Ayers fan, and I am confident that he will remain one of the consistently better Dlinemen. Even if Hunter does have a late career breakout....isn't he a McD acquisition as well?

2010 was rough, and we are all glad it's over...but it wasn't a complete waste

Bacchus
08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Aren't our top 2 WR acquisitions from the McDaniels area, and our Starting MLB, and the "QB" that a great many fans still wish was one the team?

I am a big Ayers fan, and I am confident that he will remain one of the consistently better Dlinemen. Even if Hunter does have a late career breakout....isn't he a McD acquisition as well?

Look at all the draft picks MCD had! Denver had 5 picks in the first two rounds! I could have used any random five mock drafts out there and done a better job the Denver did!

barryr
08-04-2012, 08:37 AM
I was never a great fan of drafting Ayers, especially when it was to play OLB. Ayers was a late bloomer in college, which figured he would not be ready to contribute much in the NFL right away. Ayers has the look of a player, but I believe in college his best was 4 sacks in a season, so I don't think he ever has shown to be a great pass rusher and it seems that is what the Broncos want more from a DE spot. Ayers can help the team, but I don't think he will ever prove he wasn't over drafted.

2KBack
08-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Look at all the draft picks MCD had! Denver had 5 picks in the first two rounds! I could have used any random five mock drafts out there and done a better job the Denver did!

Did say he was good? No I did not. He wasted several good moves to get great picks by trying to outsmart the league. You just don't have to look hard to find major contributors to this team that came from that short era. It is a bit disingenuous to say otherwise.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Look at all the draft picks MCD had! Denver had 5 picks in the first two rounds! I could have used any random five mock drafts out there and done a better job the McDumbass did!

Fixed it.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm a Broncos fan first. Whether DT bears fruit only time will tell. Right now he's only an average guy. Broncos need greatness from everybody if the Broncos are going to get where they want to go (SB).

As for the MLB? His average at best and no game changing plays like Al Wilson had.

That QB? Any fan you talking about isn't really a Bronco fan. Because they have put their love of that QB before the love of the franchise.

broncosteven
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Yes, the 18 months of hell was a complete waste. Monkeys throwing darts at the top 100 prospects from 2009 and 2010 could have done better than mCd did. Plus the monkeys wouldn't have traded away all those 1st round picks that were accumulated.

Back on topic, I think this is a great message to send to Ayers, if he doesn't respond to it he doesn't belong on the team.

Agamemnon
08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm not overly shocked. The truth is that Ayers and Hunter are more or less interchangeable as players, so if Del Rio likes Hunter more he'll probably be the starter.

DBroncos4life
08-04-2012, 11:34 AM
He had four first rounders alone. Eight picks in the first two rounds in two years and we have only Thomas as a clear starter out of those draft picks. McD was ****ing terrible.

2KBack
08-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm a Broncos fan first. Whether DT bears fruit only time will tell. Right now he's only an average guy. Broncos need greatness from everybody if the Broncos are going to get where they want to go (SB).

As for the MLB? His average at best and no game changing plays like Al Wilson had.

That QB? Any fan you talking about isn't really a Bronco fan. Because they have put their love of that QB before the love of the franchise.

So your complaint is that not everyone is great? That our current MLB isn't as good as one the best Bronco LB's ever?

I'm not going to get into a "real" fan conversation though. I'm a fan of every damn player on the Broncos, and I appreciate any other person that roots for the Broncos to win. I'm not about to trash a player because he isn't Great enough in his first few seasons, or because of who drafted him, and I won't trash a person who becomes a fan of the O&B because their favorite player is on the team.

so carry on I suppose, and go Broncos

Tombstone RJ
08-04-2012, 12:18 PM
wasn't Ayers a "three year project" when he was drafted? He should be coming into his prime right about now and if the new coaching staff can motivate him than great, if not, we will know after this season.

He's made pretty steady progress so far, nothing spectacular, but steady progress. Hunter on the other hand knows the clock is ticking and he's reaching an age where he sees the window closing. Both now know a SB championship can be had if everyone on the team elevates their play. Perhaps Hunter is just more ready to win than Ayers?

Cito Pelon
08-04-2012, 02:17 PM
JDR sure yaps a lot to the press considering he's a DC. I wonder how long it will be before the team is sick and tired of his yapping.