PDA

View Full Version : How many receivers do we keep?

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
What do you guys think we do at wideout? Decker, Thomas, and Caldwell are locks because of their contracts and/or ability.

That leaves:

Stokely - One of Manning's favorite's but aging and doesn't play special teams.
Willis - Experienced on the team, plays special teams but no chemistry with Manning
Greg Orton - Large and physical, but just got injured.
Jason Hill - Veteran receivers who is having a good camp but lacks other areas.

The remaining wideouts aren't getting any time. If they keep six wideouts, it becomes a bit more clear, but they are loaded at TE and want to run a lot of two tight end this year. They also have quite a few at DB who will stay.

So do they keep five wideouts or six and develop one? I'd like to see Orton make the team, but there is definitely a log-jam at the position.

Los Broncos
08-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Five, Willis should get in there.

Vegas_Bronco
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Manning will make this call...hes got stokleys back.

Stagger Lee
08-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Whatever Peyton says.

DBroncos4life
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I think it depends on SP teams play from the DB's. If they struggle then I think Willis has to stay, if not then Hill and Stokley have a better chance of making the team.

ludo21
08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
definitely Stokley.

I say we keep 4.

then we keep 5 RB's, and 4 TE's

razorwire77
08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Because of the emphasis on TE in this offense, I'm thinking they keep five.

DT
Decker
Caldwell
Willis (special teams value too)
Stokley

socalorado
08-02-2012, 12:07 PM
And what about Gerrel Robinson?
I see he runs really good routes and hes been pretty good too.
I dont want to lose him if they put him on the PS.
Plus he played with DENs next franchise QB.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-02-2012, 12:12 PM
My guess is if they keep a 6th, it'll be a guy like robinson because they dont want to risk him getting snatched from another team. I cant imagine someone like D'Andre Goodwin or Orton would make it, no matter how good his camp is

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I kind of think it will look like this:

WR: Decker, Caldwell, Thomas, Stokely, Willis (Try and stash a few on PS)
TE: Hanne, Dreessen, Green, Ingram (I think Julius Thomas is out)

I will say Stokely being cut wouldn't shock me completely.

Jekyll15Hyde
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Seeing that list makes me yearn for one more 2nd tier guy... Maybe Peyton will make a 3rd tier guy look like one.

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Seeing that list makes me yearn for one more 2nd tier guy... Maybe Peyton will make a 3rd tier guy look like one.

We'll have to see if someone steps up in camp. Having said that, if Decker and Thomas emerge as legit one and two's, we can't be disappointed there wasn't room to keep what would end up being a third string sometimes-dresses special teams guy. Decker and Thomas are really young.

vancejohnson82
08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
i wish Hill would step up

Ziggy
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't think that Stokely gets cut. He looks every bit as good as he did earlier in his career. He has no speed, but he gets open and catches everything thrown to him.

UberBroncoMan
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM

I'd rather cut Ingram and stick it out with Julius Thomas. We invested a 4th in him and he was pretty ****ing beast in the Red-Zone before his injury ****ed him over. He's 3 years younger and a bigger target too.

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I'd rather cut Ingram and stick it out with Julius Thomas. We invested a 4th in him and he was pretty ****ing beast in the Red-Zone before his injury ****ed him over. He's 3 years younger and a bigger target too.

Yah, why give up on a guy that was a project to begin with? Lots of upside with Thomas and having Manning around should make him better. If he sucks with Manning then maybe let him go after this season?

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Julius Thomas looks dead inside. He doesn't get any reps and looks completely uninterested. Maybe they will, for the reasons you mentioned, but I think it would send a horrible message to the team about work ethic if he made the team.

driver
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE]WR: Decker, Caldwell, Thomas, Stokely, Willis (Try and stash a few on PS)

You wr picks look pretty good , they've all had excellent camps, you left one out though, Tyler Grisham has had a fine camp according to the reports I've read.

The problem w/Stokley is he doesn't play st, Willis and Grisham would. Grisham has ps elgibilty along w/ Robinson and a few others
If we try to ps these guys we could lose some or all of them.
Do we keep a 6th wr, I don't think we can afford that roster spot. We have a lot of young inexperienced dt's de's and lb's who have IMO a lot of ability and promise. IMO these young def. players have more promise than our #6-10 wr's.
The te's:Tamme and Dressen are locks.
Green, Ingraham, Thomas, and Miller haven't shown much in camp that I've heard about. Green has a 1 game suspension coming, Thomas is looking like a bust. Ingraham haven't heard anythig about him good or bad Big question mark. Miller the only thing I've heard "he has good hands" and that's not a bad thing at all.
Remember we now have a good fb w/ good hands . So maybe we can slide w/ 3 te.
I'm glad the coaches have to make these choice's.

Mogulseeker
08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't see us keeping more than five, and I don't see us playing more than four.

Decker, Thomas, Caldwell all make the team... plus I think Stokely for a #4 slot, and when one of those guys misses a game or two, I see us maybe calling up Willis.

I think this will be a tight end team this year.

uplink
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Whatever Peyton says.

I wanted to wait for Peyton's okay before I answered on this one.

Bigdawg26
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I thought Stokley was a sure thing too! I'm guessing another receiver for special teams like Willis, but we are also going to use our TE's alot also! I'm pretty sure Tamme and Julius Thomas are kinda like hybrid WR/TE's. So it's going to be like we're keeping 7 WR's!

barryr
08-02-2012, 02:05 PM
How many WR's they keep may be determined who on the roster wins the punt return and kick return jobs.

BroncoInferno
08-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Orange Julius makes the team over Ingram even if he is outperformed, IMHO. They knew Thomas was a raw project when they traded up to take him in the 4th round, so I highly doubt they will throw in the towel after one injury plagued year. Especially not in favor of a journeyman like Ingram.

Mogulseeker
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Who is the dude we got from Jax?

Doggcow
08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Jason Hill would be money with Manning. He hasn't had much of a chance in the NFL with Alex Smith and Gabbart... I think he would definitely make a nifty 4 or 5 receiver for us.

rideco
08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I dont know the answer to the original question but we are -1 now....

Denver Broncos ‏@Denver_Broncos

The #Broncos have waived/injured WR D'Andre Goodwin.

Mogulseeker
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Jason Hill would be money with Manning. He hasn't had much of a chance in the NFL with Alex Smith and Gabbart... I think he would definitely make a nifty 4 or 5 receiver for us.

Yeah... Hill, that's who I was thinking of.

I think he could beat out Stokely and Willis.

In fact, I say he makes the team as a reserve.

cutthemdown
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Broncos will keep 5 wr IMO. But then we keep 4 TE.

Irish Stout
08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
From what I've seen and read and heard I think WR depth ends up being 6 WRs in this order:

Decker, DT, Caldwell, Willis, Stokely, the other Orton.

I think its 3 TEs and I think its Tamme, Dreesen, and Green. Thomas, so far, is not there. He might make PS.

I think we keep 4 RBs - McGahee, Hillman, Knowshon and Ball. But this is an assumption Knowshon steps up a bit more.

I think 2 QBs - Brock and Manning. Try and stash Weber back to PS.

Bacchus
08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Five, Willis should get in there.

I second the five and say Stokley and Willis. I could possibly see them going to 6 but I doubt it.

Bacchus
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
From what I've seen and read and heard I think WR depth ends up being 6 WRs in this order:

Decker, DT, Caldwell, Willis, Stokely, the other Orton.

I think its 3 TEs and I think its Tamme, Dreesen, and Green. Thomas, so far, is not there. He might make PS.

I think we keep 4 RBs - McGahee, Hillman, Knowshon and Ball. But this is an assumption Knowshon steps up a bit more.

I think 2 QBs - Brock and Manning. Try and stash Weber back to PS.

I think they keep 4 TEs. There are going to be times this year when Denver is going to have three TEs onthe field.

Lestat
08-02-2012, 04:45 PM
i think we'll keep 6. Decker and DT have had injury issues, even with the TE emphasis we'll need guys who can stretch the field and give us a 3-4 WR set at times.

Thomas,Decker,Caldwell,Willis,Stokeley and Hill at WR.
Tamme,Dreessen,Green & Thomas at TE.

lonestar
08-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Whatever Peyton says.

DING DING DING we have a winner.. :thumbs:

you took the words out of my mouth when I saw the question..

lonestar
08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Julius Thomas looks dead inside. He doesn't get any reps and looks completely uninterested. Maybe they will, for the reasons you mentioned, but I think it would send a horrible message to the team about work ethic if he made the team.

great observation.. but then your damned good at that..

BroncoBeavis
08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
i think we'll keep 6. Decker and DT have had injury issues, even with the TE emphasis we'll need guys who can stretch the field and give us a 3-4 WR set at times.

Thomas,Decker,Caldwell,Willis,Stokeley and Hill at WR.
Tamme,Dreessen,Green & Thomas at TE.

Yeah, after last year I hope they know enough to keep 6.

broncosteven
08-02-2012, 06:59 PM

I agree, I wonder if Stokely only makes the team as insurance against Decker having some bad drops. Should Decker go Bowe with the drops they can put Stokely in.

Maybe if Decker is solid after a couple weeks they bring back Orton and cut Stokes?

MABroncoFan
08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
How long is Green's suspension? I thought 4 games.

Taco John
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Whatever Peyton says.

I like this answer the best... lol

socalorado
08-03-2012, 06:41 AM
So what about Gerrel Robinson?

Irish Stout
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I think they keep 4 TEs. There are going to be times this year when Denver is going to have three TEs onthe field.

I just don't see it. Maybe I am wrong. Julius Thomas and Cornelius Ingram do not look like they will be on the team. I think our overall WR depth is much greater than our TE depth right now and it would be better to have the more talented WRs over the mediocre TEs.

I know they've practiced three TE sets, with Tamme, Green and Dreesen. I think they keep those three guys and there will be a point where all three are on the field. If one goes down during the season, I won't be surprised to see us bring in another one.

Which leads to the question - is Julius Thomas PS eligible?

Drek
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
How long is Green's suspension? I thought 4 games.

I believe so, and that will make the Broncos decision a bit. From what I believed and tentatively confirmed via a quick Google search suspended players don't count against the 53 man roster.

So that means Green is out of the equation for the first 4 weeks regardless.

As a result I think we'll end up with something like this:
WR:
Thomas
Decker
Caldwell
Stokley
Hill

TE:
Tamme
Dreeeeeessseeeen
Thomas
Ingram

With Robinson being put on the PS. If they really want to keep Willis I could see them trying to slide Thomas through to the PS, since he should (if I'm reading the rules right) have PS eligibility.

I'd imagine in that situation however that Ingram's or Thomas's roster spot would be expendable if it meant losing Robinson to another team.

Then the bottom two TEs get to battle it out for who gets to keep their job when Green comes off suspension. Maybe that'll be enough of a wake up call for Thomas.

The RB battle seems more interesting to me. McGahee and Hillman are obviously in. Ball and Xavier are both battering ram types, Moreno is a multi-purpose guy with a lot of talent but questions about motivation, and Fannin has really awesome tools for half the tool box and then junk for the other half, so it's tough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision on Moreno might have some effect on the WR decision though. I could definitely see them leaning towards a 5th (or 6th) WR who can contribute on STs as a priority if they feel that Moreno gives them an extra bit of slot WR depth.

socalorado
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I believe so, and that will make the Broncos decision a bit. From what I believed and tentatively confirmed via a quick Google search suspended players don't count against the 53 man roster.

So that means Green is out of the equation for the first 4 weeks regardless.

As a result I think we'll end up with something like this:
WR:
Thomas
Decker
Caldwell
Stokley
Hill

TE:
Tamme
Dreeeeeessseeeen
Thomas
Ingram

With Robinson being put on the PS. If they really want to keep Willis I could see them trying to slide Thomas through to the PS, since he should (if I'm reading the rules right) have PS eligibility.

I'd imagine in that situation however that Ingram's or Thomas's roster spot would be expendable if it meant losing Robinson to another team.

Then the bottom two TEs get to battle it out for who gets to keep their job when Green comes off suspension. Maybe that'll be enough of a wake up call for Thomas.

The RB battle seems more interesting to me. McGahee and Hillman are obviously in. Ball and Xavier are both battering ram types, Moreno is a multi-purpose guy with a lot of talent but questions about motivation, and Fannin has really awesome tools for half the tool box and then junk for the other half, so it's tough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision on Moreno might have some effect on the WR decision though. I could definitely see them leaning towards a 5th (or 6th) WR who can contribute on STs as a priority if they feel that Moreno gives them an extra bit of slot WR depth.

I will say it again, Hillman will be up for OROY.

oubronco
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
The Broncos have been hit hard this week with the wide receiver position taking a particular pounding. Wide receivers Eric Decker (groin), D'Andre Goodwin (foot), Tyler Grisham (knee) and Greg Orton (ankle) all sat out Thursday's practice.

Decker was in uniform, but didn't do much beyond some individual work.

The injuries are serious enough that the Broncos added Cameron Kenney after claiming Kenney off waivers from the Seahawks Wednesday afternoon.

Read more: Injuries hit Broncos' WR corps, so Denver signs a free-agent - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21220838/injuries-hit-broncos-wr-corps-denver-free-agent?source=skipframe-bleacherreport.com#ixzz22W60hFCc) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21220838/injuries-hit-broncos-wr-corps-denver-free-agent?source=skipframe-bleacherreport.com#ixzz22W60hFCc

DBroncos4life
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
The Broncos have been hit hard this week with the wide receiver position taking a particular pounding. Wide receivers Eric Decker (groin), D'Andre Goodwin (foot), Tyler Grisham (knee) and Greg Orton (ankle) all sat out Thursday's practice.

Decker was in uniform, but didn't do much beyond some individual work.

The injuries are serious enough that the Broncos added Cameron Kenney after claiming Kenney off waivers from the Seahawks Wednesday afternoon.

Read more: Injuries hit Broncos' WR corps, so Denver signs a free-agent - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21220838/injuries-hit-broncos-wr-corps-denver-free-agent?source=skipframe-bleacherreport.com#ixzz22W60hFCc) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21220838/injuries-hit-broncos-wr-corps-denver-free-agent?source=skipframe-bleacherreport.com#ixzz22W60hFCc

I kind of wish they would have brought in Mike Williams or Anthony Gonzalez. I get this is just camp folder but still. :)