PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger has torn rotator cuff

Los Broncos
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-01/sports/chi-roethlisberger-i-have-a-little-torn-rotator-cuff-20120801_1_ben-roethlisberger-cuff-mike-wallace

ludo21
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
he said it has been hurt since Nov. 6? How has it not healed? Sucks for the Stillers

BroncoBeavis
08-02-2012, 10:55 AM
In before the January crew tell us wins against the Steelers no longer count. :)

Los Broncos
08-02-2012, 10:55 AM
he said it has been hurt since Nov. 6? How has it not healed? Sucks for the Stillers

I think surgery is the only way, but it could tear more then they would be screwed.

razorwire77
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I think the Steeler's window is closing. Troy is getting old and battling injuries. Ward is retired. The rapist is getting older and battling injuries. Wallace is probably going to get traded. Mendenhall is rehabbing from a major injury. Ziggy Hood is pretty overrated imho. Keisel is good. Pouncey is good, but seems to me like they have quite a few holes for an "elite" team.

maven
08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Teams are going to put a bounty on that shoulder.

Vegas_Bronco
08-02-2012, 11:19 AM
If you tear it in the wrong place, even sleeping positions can be detrimental to healing. He needs to stay off the bottom imo.

Ziggy
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Torn rotator cuffs don't heal themselves. One good shot on his arm while he's throwing could end his season.

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I think the Steeler's window is closing. Troy is getting old and battling injuries. Ward is retired. The rapist is getting older and battling injuries. Wallace is probably going to get traded. Mendenhall is rehabbing from a major injury. Ziggy Hood is pretty overrated imho. Keisel is good. Pouncey is good, but seems to me like they have quite a few holes for an "elite" team.

Yeah I tend to agree. Rotator cuff issues aren't as big a deal for a QB as they are for a pitcher. However, the problem with Roethilisberger is this is symptomatic of a larger issue and that's his overall durability. While he's only thirty, his style of game wears on him WAY more than other QB's. The wire isn't showing, but the tread is very worn on those tires...

Pony Boy
08-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Ouch .... It's really hard to hold a woman down with a torn rotator cuff.

Meck77
08-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah I tend to agree. Rotator cuff issues aren't as big a deal for a QB as they are for a pitcher. However, the problem with Roethilisberger is this is symptomatic of a larger issue and that's his overall durability. While he's only thirty, his style of game wears on him WAY more than other QB's. The wire isn't showing, but the tread is very worn on those tires...

I agree their window is closing but couldn't disagree more in that they aren't a big deal. Having had one I can tell you even sleeping is painful let alone playing at a professional level.

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I agree their window is closing but couldn't disagree more in that they aren't a big deal. Having had one I can tell you even sleeping is painful let alone playing at a professional level.

I'm not saying it's not painful, but in football there have been guys who have played years with partially torn Rotator Cuffs. They inject them with cortizone and they move on.

Garcia Bronco
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Wallace is overrated as well.

Meck77
08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not saying it's not painful, but in football there have been guys who have played years with partially torn Rotator Cuffs. They inject them with cortizone and they move on.

Any of them win playoff games or superbowls with torn rotator cuffs? Which QBs are you talking about. I'm doubtful one could compete at high level.

Could a guy griese his way around the league with an injury and collect millions. Sure.

Ray Finkle
08-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Shoulder injuries of that nature are not easy to play with...now Meck and I are pumped up with meds to cope...

Big Ben also likes to "elaborate" his injuries....remember the broken foot that wasn't broken?

baja
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Any of them win playoff games or superbowls with torn rotator cuffs? Which QBs are you talking about. I'm doubtful one could compete at high level.

Could a guy griese his way around the league with an injury and collect millions. Sure.

Interesting you use Griese as an example. I have always thought if not for that shoulder injury in the Oakland game Griese would have been a very good qb.

It was when Shanny gave him all that money after the injury that I started to question Shanny's decisions.

Meck77
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Interesting you use Griese as an example. I have always thought if not for that shoulder injury in the Oakland game Griese would have been a very good qb.

It was when Shanny gave him all that money after the injury that I started to question Shanny's decisions.

Well when I think of trying to play with a bum shoulder griese came to mind. I don't recall the exact injury he had but he sure wasn't the same after. Wasn't that romo who wrecked it? It was a helluva performance by the griester none the less.

Anyhow my point is when it comes to performing at a high level staying healthy is key. See Montana, Elway, Marino, Favre (well until he became an old crying broken down bastard). One could argue that Elway was pretty banged up towards the end but at least his arm was fine and he could still scramble better than most of the younger bucks of his day even though his walk was painful to even watch!

Kaylore
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Well there was nothing wrong with his arm last season. He sustained he injury in November and lit us up in the fourth quarter. By all accounts it is better. I was listening to Joel Klatt talk about it this morning and they mentioned a QB (who's name escapes me) who played for three years with one, apparently. Full tears are different, but partial tears are really just bad sprains.

I will conceded that if he gets it torn completely, it could Pennington/Griese his career. From a purely pain tolerance point, though, Ben has plowed though a car. He's a warrior and will fight through it.

Meck77
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Well you do make a good point of Ben taking a car on. There must be a correlation of brain power to pain tolerance of the neanderthals.

BroncoBeavis
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Well when I think of trying to play with a bum shoulder griese came to mind. I don't recall the exact injury he had but he sure wasn't the same after. Wasn't that romo who wrecked it? It was a helluva performance by the griester none the less.

Anyhow my point is when it comes to performing at a high level staying healthy is key. See Montana, Elway, Marino, Favre (well until he became an old crying broken down bastard). One could argue that Elway was pretty banged up towards the end but at least his arm was fine and he could still scramble better than most of the younger bucks of his day even though his walk was painful to even watch!

Didn't Elway have some kind of shoulder surgery later on? Wasn't a rotator cuff, but it was something I remember being worried about.

BroncoMagic
08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Didn't Elway have some kind of shoulder surgery later on? Wasn't a rotator cuff, but it was something I remember being worried about.

John had a few shoulder surgery's / clean up. Also had a tendon cut to free up
movement...bicep maybe?

DeuceOfClub
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
He also like to rape, occasionally.

TennMike
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
He said it wont heal itself, and he just hopes he doesnt tear it more... then laughed. Weird, weird cat.

Baba Booey
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Time to take the Steelers to downtown Poundtown on the 9th.

dictionary
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
The yinzers are already trying to convince themselves that they havent peaked with the whole age/dominance curve. This was in my FB newsfeed today:

"I am a fan of ESPN, but I cannot wait till week 1 when the Steelers D busts up that fusion and Peyton regrets coming back then all this hype can go away"...

Last I checked, Harrison is on the PUP, Wallace is holding out, and their offensive line is having problems in Training Camp. Yeah. I'll bet on our evil genius Del Rio D vs an immobile QB and swiss cheese OL with plays from Big Boss Haley.