PDA

View Full Version : Chefs... More like the (Tax) Cheats

Bronco-Gator420
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
A Kansas City radio station had acquired documents it says show that the Royals were using tax dollars from a fund ostensibly set up for maintenance and repairs at Kauffman Stadium for purposes other than maintenance and repairs. A tipster in Kansas City has since sent word, with numbers, that indicates the Chiefs are doing basically the same thing next door at Arrowhead Stadium.

The documents sent to us by our tipster show that the Chiefs have used just 33 percent of the $27.3 million they asked to have reimbursed during the same time period for maintenance and repair. What that means is that both franchises are using most of the taxpayer money they're getting to reduce the cost of running their teams.

And when you look at what the Chiefs have made reimbursement requests for this year, according to the info sent to us by our tipster, it gets even worse: The Chiefs have asked for more than $9 million since May 25, with just $546,000—a paltry six percent—going toward maintenance and repair.

http://deadspin.com/5930727/the-kansas-city-chiefs-are-using-taxpayer-money-to-pay-their-taxes-too

Irish Stout
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If remotely true then this could really have some bizarre and long drawn out repercussions.

Kaylore
08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Uh oh. That's more than a big deal if true...

Bacchus
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but I bet if the digging is done a whole lot of teams are doing this.

Mogulseeker
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM

This.

razorwire77
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Ruh ro. That's not an accounting error and a penalty; that's fraud.

bronco militia
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
The idea was pitched with the understanding that most of that RMMO money would be used for maintenance and repair. But both the Royals and Chiefs aren't doing that; they instead appear to be taking advantage of an amendment added to the stadiums' lease agreement in January 2006 that allows the RMMO funds to be used for "event day operations."

there you go.... ZZZ...

Garcia Bronco
08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Doesn't sound like they're breaking the contract.

Irish Stout
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
The idea was pitched with the understanding that most of that RMMO money would be used for maintenance and repair. But both the Royals and Chiefs aren't doing that; they instead appear to be taking advantage of an amendment added to the stadiums' lease agreement in January 2006 that allows the RMMO funds to be used for "event day operations."

there you go.... ZZZ...

I don't know... if they're paying the payroll taxes with these funds, I don't see how that can translate to just event day operations. Unless its only payroll for the ushers, beer and hot dog slingers

bronco militia
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't know... if they're paying the payroll taxes with these funds, I don't see how that can translate to just event day operations. Unless its only payroll for the ushers, beer and hot dog slingers

It's probably just enough of a gray area for them to be able to say "our bad...we mis-interpreted the language of the amendment...blah blah, blah....it will never happen again...blah blah"

KCStud
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
There are a lot of pro teams that do this.

Cities need to stop giving tax money to pro sports teams period.

Captain 'Dre
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Tax fraud? Or bounties?

It's tough to keep all these stories of league-wide abuses straight! Ha!

Captain 'Dre
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
It's probably just enough of a gray area for them to be able to say "our bad...we mis-interpreted the language of the amendment...blah blah, blah....it will never happen again...blah blah"

And I would say in response, "No problem. Just pay ALL the money back, right NOW. With interest."

bowtown
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM

I think that cities should just not give tax money to teams that have not won a playoff game in over 15 years.

lonestar
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I think that cities should just not give tax money to teams that have not won a playoff game in over 15 years.

So lets just ignore legal contracts?

bowtown
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
So lets just ignore legal contracts?

sigh. yes, my post had everything to do with that and nothing to do with ****ting on the chiefs. you can let yourself out.

KipCorrington25
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Both teams are on the verge of bankruptcy being in such an irrelevant market. It would be wise to just moved them both or consolidate them entirely for the integrity of both leagues.

lonestar
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Both teams are on the verge of bankruptcy being in such an irrelevant market. It would be wise to just moved them both or consolidate them entirely for the integrity of both leagues.

or move the chefs to LA..

KCStud
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Chiefs fans love their team through thick and thin. I doubt fans on this board would show the same fandom.

broncocalijohn
08-01-2012, 09:24 PM

maybe so but both the Chiefs and Royals suck!

broncocalijohn
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Chiefs fans love their team through thick and thin. I doubt fans on this board would show the same fandom.

Since it hasn't happen since 1976 (and still supported the team with sellouts), we will probably never know currently!

LOL! You guys really do suck since Montana saved your franchise.

broncosteven
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Cheats fans love their sucky team through an almost thick 1994 season and the other 41 years of thin. I doubt fans on this board would show the same fandom.

Fixed it for you

KCStud
08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Fixed it for you

Chiefs fans are real fans. We cheer for our team win or lose.

broncocalijohn
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Cool! You guys are the Cubs of the NFL! Good luck with that. Cubs will probably win a playoff game before the Chiefs do.

BTW, you are full of ****! A few years ago, we had a thread of what can you buy instead of a CHiefs ticket?" The going rate at the time on stubhub was $5 a ticket. Yeah, support at its best.

Bronco Rob
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM

I guess that's why Sparrowhead was empty for 20 years.

Bronco Rob
08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
The Kansas City Royals have requested nearly $17 million of taxpayer money the past five years from the Kauffman Stadium repair and upkeep fund but spent only 9% of the money received on actual repairs and maintenance to the stadium, according to documents obtained by Sports Radio 810 WHB.

The Royals have received at least $12.7 million from taxpayers that was approved by the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority as part of the RMMO provision of the team's lease with the county and spent it on full and part time employee salaries, security, cable tv, first aid, utilities, telephones and even payroll taxes. By using the money for payroll taxes, the team literally collected taxpayer money to pay their own taxes. The Sports Authority approved the expenses and operates separately from Jackson County government.

Calls to JCSCA Chairman Beto Lopez and Royals President Dan Glass were not returned.

http://810whb.com/common/more.php?m=49&r=21

Broncos4tw
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
When energy companies (a bunch of them) and banks can not only not pay taxes when they make 10 to 20 billion dollars in profit.. and in some cases, get refunds of millions.. it's difficult to get phased by stuff like this.

KCStud
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I guess that's why Sparrowhead was empty for 20 years.

And the Denver Broncos were almost relocated to be the Birmingham Broncos.

Vegas_Bronco
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Taxpayer $ = cassel greyskool

Bacchus
08-01-2012, 11:11 PM

It's hard to tell. Denver has never been as pathetic as the Chiefs.

Kaylore
08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
It's hard to tell. Denver has never been as pathetic as the Chiefs.

Hilarious!

Yeah, the Broncos have a seven year waiting list for season tickets - the Chiefs are still trying to sell out this year's tickets. But the Broncos don't love the Chiefs as much according to Sheepstud!

Bronco Rob
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Taxpayer $ = cassel greyskool

Ca$$el Greyskool.................Hilarious!

Rolandftw
08-02-2012, 01:27 AM

Yeah, pretty sure Denver and KC wouldn't have sports teams if that was the case.

Anyways, sickening as a Royals fan. I hope it's true and Glass is forced to sell the team. piece of ****.

Rolandftw
08-02-2012, 01:28 AM

That's such a ridiculous statement on so many levels.

Denver's sold out every game since the 60's where as KC is about as fair weather of a town as it gets.

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2012, 06:22 AM

I'd argue the opposite.

Are you a "real fan" if you sit there, buy up all those tix and merchandise, and do nothing but cheer as ownership and management do nothing but wallow in years of suckitude? Or are you a real fan if, in those extended periods of suckitude, you voice your displeasure and make your feelings known that you're not going to take it any more? Group A gives the ownership no motivation to invest in the team. Group B does.

ppablo
08-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow 18 seasons without a playoff win... Sucks to be a Chefs fan!

Longest active playoff game victory drought

Updated through 2011 season.
<table class="wikitable"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#CFECEC"> <td>^</td> <td><small>Longest drought in team History</small></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="wikitable"> <tbody><tr> <th>Team</th> <th>Last playoff game win</th> <th>Seasons</th> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#CFECEC"> <td>Cincinnati Bengals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_seasons) ^</td> <td>1990 AFC Wild Card Playoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1990-91)</td> <td align="center">21</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Detroit Lions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Detroit_Lions_seasons)</td> <td>1991 NFC Divisional Playoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1991-92)*</td> <td align="center">20</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kansas City Chiefs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kansas_City_Chiefs_seasons)</td> <td>1993 AFC Divisional Playoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1993-94)</td> <td align="center">18</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts#Longest_active_playoff_game_victor y_drought

KCStud
08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I'd argue the opposite.

Are you a "real fan" if you sit there, buy up all those tix and merchandise, and do nothing but cheer as ownership and management do nothing but wallow in years of suckitude? Or are you a real fan if, in those extended periods of suckitude, you voice your displeasure and make your feelings known that you're not going to take it any more? Group A gives the ownership no motivation to invest in the team. Group B does.

There are both