PDA

View Full Version : Any Nate Irving updates from camp?

toad
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Sorry if I've missed anything related in the camp posts, but nothing jumped out at me.

Just curious if Ivring has shown progress/promise going into the season - really thought he had a lot of potential when drafted.

Irish Stout
07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
I didn't notice him at camp at all. However, Cecil Lammey has just lambasted him for not being smart and trying to guess where the play is coming from and jumping everything way too early. On the radio, while leaving training camp Saturday morning, Cecil pointed out a few times where Irving rushed to the line hitting the hole hard... problem was that he was attacking the wrong gap for the run every single time. Lammey called him a bust.

Though I am not a HUGE Cecil Lammey fan, I do find his takes interesting. He knows most of these guys for what they did in college and he watches massive amounts of film.

Tombstone RJ
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Irving has good instincts but I think he is pressing too much. I don't think Del Rio will give up on him unless a guy like Johnson just wows the coaching staff.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I didn't notice him at camp at all. However, Cecil Lammey has just lambasted him for not being smart and trying to guess where the play is coming from and jumping everything way too early. On the radio, while leaving training camp Saturday morning, Cecil pointed out a few times where Irving rushed to the line hitting the hole hard... problem was that he was attacking the wrong gap for the run every single time. Lammey called him a bust.

Though I am not a HUGE Cecil Lammey fan, I do find his takes interesting. He knows most of these guys for what they did in college and he watches massive amounts of film.

Sound right on par with Irving. In games he will dive after he realizes he jumped the wrong gap so it looks like he's producing.

Requiem
07-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Last I heard he was getting lawn keeping tips from Fred Flemming.

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Hopefully he's brushing up on his knowledge of the latest generation of smart phones and the monthly plans offered by each carrier.

bronco militia
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
http://fabianmastrorillo.com/tumbleweed.gif

Tombstone RJ
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
I do love this album and the Meat Puppets, so here yah go:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/93-CnnC3ZS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
He was lining up at both MLB and SLB yesterday with the backup units. He looked a bit lost at both positions.

uplink
07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Irving has good instincts but I think he is pressing too much. I don't think Del Rio will give up on him unless a guy like Johnson just wows the coaching staff.

Del Rio has a man crush on Danny Trev.. the drafted LB. I wouldn't be suprised if he starts over Woodyard and Irving by the end of camp.

Traveler
07-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Does anyone remember Xanders high fiving everyone in the Broncos War Room after the selection of Irving? Hoping he isn't another wasted pick.

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Del Rio has a man crush on Danny Trev.. the drafted LB. I wouldn't be suprised if he starts over Woodyard and Irving by the end of camp.

He has a man crush on him for a good reason. That kid can flat out play. When you watch him at practice, he stands out in all phases. He's a keeper.

Lestat
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
He has a man crush on him for a good reason. That kid can flat out play. When you watch him at practice, he stands out in all phases. He's a keeper.

i have no doubt that he'll eventually be either a starter for us or a guy who's a super sub that plays near a good starter's level.

Mogulseeker
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Bleacher Report listed Nate Irving among "best backups in the league" and said Joe Mays will be looking over his shoulder for the season.

That was Bleacher Report.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Bleacher Report listed Nate Irving among "best backups in the league" and said Joe Mays will be looking over his shoulder for the season.

Id kill to know whatthis was based off of!

uplink
07-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, if you use Occam's razor then you must conclude Irving stinks since he hasn't played.

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 03:26 PM

My 12 year old neice who knows nothing about football can post an article on Bleacher Report. The sad thing is that there are folks who will read it, put credence in it, post it on message boards, and believe it.

Kaylore
07-31-2012, 03:42 PM

Apparently a report from the bleachers.

crush17
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Bust.

Bmore Manning
07-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Hasn't it also been said that Mays has been excelling in all aspects of his game thus far, including coverage? And I said it on here when I did mocks that Trevathan is a stud, not quite as good in coverage as David, but Trevathan is great at attacking the football, and was a steal in the sixth round.

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Mays looked good in training camp last year as well. His problems come at true game speed. He doesn't diagnose plays quickly enough to play MLB. The reason he looks good in camps is because they are running at half to 3/4 speed a lot of the time.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Apparently a report from the bleachers.

Some high ass bleachers!

Tombstone RJ
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm holding out hope for Irving. Practice is one thing, I want to see how he does in games. I'd be disappointed if the Broncos gave up on him too soon and let him go. Sometimes you just have to have patient with a player.

DENVERDUI55
08-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm guessing Irving is sucking donkey dong in practice.

uplink
08-01-2012, 11:12 AM
He is doing such a good job handing out water in practice they're calling him Nate "the water method man" Irving

Joke is the famous american author John Irving wrote a book called 'The Water-Method Man'

ZONA
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
It looks like he won't be doing much this year. He'll probably make the team because they are not ready to give up on him but it's not looking like he's going to be that special MLB that Al Wilson was. We need to draft a stud in the middle next year.............period!!!

JPPT1974
08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Hopefully that he will do good in practice but who knows as there are other people out there wanting his job.

lonestar
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hopefully he's brushing up on his knowledge of the latest generation of smart phones and the monthly plans offered by each carrier.

a tater sighting I see.. maybe by now tater is a supervisor..

lonestar
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
It looks like he won't be doing much this year. He'll probably make the team because they are not ready to give up on him but it's not looking like he's going to be that special MLB that Al Wilson was. We need to draft a stud in the middle next year.............period!!!

I've always believed that great LB's become great because they have really good DL in front of them, or they are just a super stud to start with..

Those guys are not going to be available much after about pick 20....

whereas the DL upgrade can happen back into rounds three..

Lets build the DL so our LB's are great..

you win it at the LOS ..if you LBs are making all the plays your DL sucks..

ZONA
08-02-2012, 12:08 AM
I've always believed that great LB's become great because they have really good DL in front of them, or they are just a super stud to start with..

Those guys are not going to be available much after about pick 20....

whereas the DL upgrade can happen back into rounds three..

Lets build the DL so our LB's are great..

you win it at the LOS ..if you LBs are making all the plays your DL sucks..

I don't think it's that simple. Just because you have good DL doesn't mean you can throw scrub LB's in there and expect them to look like Patrick Willis. It really does go both ways. As much as a good DL can help your LB's, a good LB can really help out the DL also, and especially a MLB. Being on the DL you basically have almost no time to react to a play, there is a guy in your face blocking you the instant the ball is snapped. A MLB has that second or 2 and his decision on what he does, where he goes, is so important. He can see the right hole to shoot and hit that RB at the LOS, sometimes even behind it. He is the ultimate equalizer on the defense.

Broncojef
08-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Still miss Al, our LB position has been weak for a long time.

Play2win
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Me too.

Al was my absolute favorite Broncos of recent years.

Broncos_OTM
08-02-2012, 08:11 AM
well Tue staff did say they out much emphasis on game tape oeta cross our fingers

montrose
08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
He's been the 2nd Team SLB flanking Mohamed and Treviathian. I noticed him make a goal line stuff but overall he's relatively quiet. With that, a position like LB you think needs to shine during actual games so I'd reserve judgement. I remember in 2008, Woodyard was making a bunch of mistakes in practice but in the preseason games he was a beast- so we'll see.

lonestar
08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't think it's that simple. Just because you have good DL doesn't mean you can throw scrub LB's in there and expect them to look like Patrick Willis. It really does go both ways. As much as a good DL can help your LB's, a good LB can really help out the DL also, and especially a MLB. Being on the DL you basically have almost no time to react to a play, there is a guy in your face blocking you the instant the ball is snapped. A MLB has that second or 2 and his decision on what he does, where he goes, is so important. He can see the right hole to shoot and hit that RB at the LOS, sometimes even behind it. He is the ultimate equalizer on the defense.

Never said a scrub MLB would be a Willis. I said havinga great Dl will make a good MLB into a much better one. Having Willis in DEN the past three or four years he would not have been all pro. Behind our Dl.

Requiem
08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Don't quote lonestar.

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
He's been the 2nd Team SLB flanking Mohamed and Treviathian. I noticed him make a goal line stuff but overall he's relatively quiet. With that, a position like LB you think needs to shine during actual games so I'd reserve judgement. I remember in 2008, Woodyard was making a bunch of mistakes in practice but in the preseason games he was a beast- so we'll see.

yah, this is where I'm at with Irving. I want to see how he does in actual games before I get too down on him. Some guys just do better in games than they do in practice and vice versa. It's like a light goes off when the whistle blows and they just have that "it" factor when the game starts.

Irving supposedly has good instincts and that is not something that can necessarily be coached up. You can coach a LBer how to read a play, how to tackle, how to position himself, etc. But you can't teach instincts. Some guys just have great instincts, they are always around the ball. Let's see if maybe Irving is this kind of a player.

lonestar
08-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Even his last couple of years with all the casts and broken fingers he was reduced to bit hits because he was unable to wrap up. Was a shell of his former self.

He was never a Willis but a good MLB. Hopefully we can find someone better for the future.

Bmore Manning
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Manti Te'o in the 2013 Draft!

~Crash~
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Bust.

ummmmmmmmm based on one play last year ? :wave:

Cito Pelon
08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
If it was his birthday, I'd congratulate him.

Bacchus
08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
The guy who is hosts with Alfred Williams, has a blog and he stated Irving has been a major disappointment.

schaaf
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
The guy who is hosts with Alfred Williams, has a blog and he stated Irving has been a major disappointment.

DMAC is an idiot.

Bacchus
08-04-2012, 11:45 PM
DMAC is an idiot.

so, and you know more about how well Irving is doing?

So how is he doing?

Dutch
08-05-2012, 12:39 AM
DMAC is an idiot.

This.

DENVERDUI55
08-05-2012, 01:28 AM
All I want is someone to post an example where a guy was expected to start and sat OM bench instead of starting immediately. Irving is done and a.pos bust. Cut him pronto. He is awful.

Traveler
08-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Manti Te'o in the 2013 Draft!

This!