PDA

View Full Version : 7/30/12 Camp Overview Report

SpringStein
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I won't try to compete with Kaylore - here is my report from this morning's session. I go once a year and today was the day.

My almost 11 year old grandson and I went to camp this morning. I wasn’t willing to go super early just to get a parking spot, but when I go there at 8:00 am thought maybe I had made a mistake. The street parking I had used in previous years was now all marked with “no parking” signs. So I parked in an office building parking lot and tried to slink off – not looking suspicious at all in my #58 and Bryce’s #18 Orange jerseys.

No line at all, I was surprised and by 8:15 we were settled in for the am under a tree on the 33 yard line – toward the south end if you have been to camp. I was grateful for the shade, and would be more so when watching everyone fan themselves and look for relief from the direct sunshine throughout the morning. This is not a typical camp report as I was busy discussing the morning with Bryce, so rather than a “rundown” of each drill, I’ll make a few overall impressions. From the end we were on, the practice was almost exclusively QBs, WR’ and DBs. So there will be almost no comments about the other positions.

Special teams practiced three separate times during the morning. I’m not sure this is normal this year or if today was a primary focus. The first time the punt returners were fielding punts, they had to hold a towel around their chest by squeezing the towel with their arms. This forced them to keep their arms down at their side and field the punts with their hands – not being able to cradle the ball in their arms. This caused a few fumbled returns. (Maybe this is an old drill, but it was new to me.)

The other new drill was happening at a field on the other side. In this drill a coach would bounce a soccer ball into the end zone and the punt coverage players would leap into the EZ and try to knock it back into the field of play.

The most unusual defensive participant today was Peyton Manning. He took a #21 jersey and pulled it on over his #18 and played CB during the early drills. I thought it was simply for the humor effect, but soon realized that it was an opportunity for him to do more coaching. Whether it was Osweiler or Hanie at QB, PM would be hollering, “Let’s go, let’s go!” Then following the play he would pull aside the WR from his side and talk about the route that had just been run. One other time during practice I noticed that while the second unit was running plays, Peyton had his OL surrounded and was discussing their previous series – or talking about a pretty girl in the crowd. I’m guessing it was football being talked about. :)

Speaking of Manning, I doubt today was his best practice. They practiced a number of deep passes (30-40 yards) today and didn’t connect on many. Perhaps the best completion of the day was to Decker between two defenders of about 40 yards in the air. However, where PM looked most at ease was in the two minute drill. I can only imagine how, after 90 minutes or so of practice, defenders are hating to rush back to the line of scrimmage and not have a chance to catch their breath. Can’t wait to see our opponents sucking for air in the mile high altitude in September!

Some individual player notes – Knowshon still is practicing with a knee brace. He did run some today with the first string behind McGahee. Tony Carter has beefed up – compared to when he first came to the Broncos and was a stick. He had probably the best punt return of the day. But he also muffed a punt. (I’m personally hoping either Syd’Quan or someone yet to be signed ends up in that role.) Decker fielded punts the first time STs worked out, but I don’t remember him being back there for the second time around. When Osweiler and Hanie stand next to each other, it looks pretty funny; Mutt and Jeff. In the size department, Ty Warren is impressive. He is a large man! I noted that Tony Hillis was running at OG, not OT, with the 2nd team – at least the one time I noticed. Ball (RB) and Ingram (TE) each had a nice snag, showing good hands. Osweiller looks like a player that has real potential to be developed. I may have to eat crow as I hated that pick. Last year Dell impressed me and I was impressed again. I’m going to speculate that either he or Orton make the team this year. Lastly, Wuebbels looks like a mountain man with his mane of hair. :~ohyah!:

Overall, the tone of the camp was friendlier than in previous years. No sign of Fred. (Some of you will know who I’m talking about.) Instead, a gentleman made the rounds saying, “Welcome to Broncos Training Camp 2012. How many of you are first timers? Oh, I see a lot of hands. Let’s go over the rules…turn your phones to vibrate, etc., etc.” It was professionally done. And then about ¾ of the way through, guys came around with trash bags collecting empty bottles and other trash.

My grandson had a great time and we stayed around and he got three autographs – Gronkowski, Osweiller and Elvis. So it was a successful day and I know he will be more excited about this season than he has in previous seasons having “sideline seats” and being able to identify players he saw up close.

Oh yea, my car hadn’t been towed off, so the day was completed without a hitch.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input, especially that Moreno has the knee brace, hadn't heard that before. Always good to read camp reports.

bronco militia
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
solid review

Special teams practiced three separate times during the morning. I’m not sure this is normal this year or if today was a primary focus. The first time the punt returners were fielding punts, they had to hold a towel around their chest by squeezing the towel with their arms. This forced them to keep their arms down at their side and field the punts with their hands – not being able to cradle the ball in their arms. This caused a few fumbled returns. (Maybe this is an old drill, but it was new to me.)

that's a new one...

Kaylore
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
You aren't competing with me!

The towel drill was not done when I was there last year, though I only went a few times then, too.

SpringStein
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
You aren't competing with me!

The towel drill was not done when I was there last year, though I only went a few times then, too.

I wouldn't try! ;)

Was just pointing out I was going more to be sure my grandson had a good experience than to catch as many details as possible.

Another great report from you today, thanks again.

Stuck in Cali
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks!

Los Broncos
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Good job, thanks.

Requiem
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Awesome stuff and thanks! Sounds like a great memory you two will have forever. :)

OBF1
07-30-2012, 04:26 PM
I am so glad training camp is here. Now if the dumb and stupid would quit posting to the Tebow sucks thread, this place would be good again.

Bronco Yoda
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks! :)

BroncoBen
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you ..