PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Manning a chain-mover, but not explosive

Bronc62
07-30-2012, 01:35 PM
<a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/2012/07/30/073012.denver-broncos-peyton-manning-peter-king.SportsIllustrated/index.html#ixzz228ToDGxb">Peter King's team report: Broncos</a>
Video posted 7/30

SI.com's Peter King visits Denver where the talk is all about new Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

Pick Six
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
A chain mover is all we need, if the end results are a touchdown. Orton was a chain mover, until he got to the red zone. Then, he fell apart...

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I agree with King. Even in 2010 I could tell Manning had lost some of his explosiveness. He was a chain mover than and I feel he is the same now. Hopefully he can hit the big plays when they present themselves.

Heyneck
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
A chain mover is all we need, if the end results are a touchdown. Orton was a chain mover, until he got to the red zone. Then, he fell apart...

Agree... as long as the chains keep moving it shouldn't matter. Plus... we know Peyton always finds a way to put it in!

bronco militia
07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
unless Roc Alexander is on the field, Manning has been a chain mover for most of his career

BroncoBen
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM
From that same SI report from Peter King.... "He's throwing the ball fine, and by that I mean if you watch a complete practice, you don't find yourself wondering why Manning is babying his throws, because he's not. He's just not ripping them. He's as accurate as ever, and it may be that this will carry him in 2012. As one former coach of Manning's told me over the weekend (not Tony Dungy), "If I were a Denver fan, I wouldn't be worried about Peyton physically, because if he can't zing the ball the way he used to, he'll figure out a way. He always does.''

I guess what doesn't resonate with me is; I don't recall Peyton Manning ever 'ripping' the ball.. I always remember him being very accurate, but not having the strongest arm.

Tombstone RJ
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
when the hell ever was Manning "explosive" in his passes? What a bunch of bs.

Agamemnon
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Manning has always "taken the field in chunks" and tried to move the chains first and foremost. Big plays have never been the mainstay of Manning's game. Peter King is a moron.

bpc
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Elway was a chain mover for us in 97' and 98'. We'd have huge 8-12 play drives all the time. Rich Ganon was a chain mover for the chiefs and Raiders during their post season run's. The tale of the tape is can you stay on Or get off the field on 3rd and 5 or less. If you can convert as a QB, you're gonna be tough to stop as an offense. That's has Manning has always struck me.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
When you move the chains, why would you need to be explosive? 3rd and 20s don't happen when chains are being moved. Tom Brady lives off 3 second dumps to his TEs.

RhymesayersDU
07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
OH LOOK, SOMEBODY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A BRONCO THAT WASN'T 100% COMPLIMNTARY. HE MUST BE WRONG AND/OR STUPID.

/the orange mane

Rabb
07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
laser rocket arm

LongDongJohnson
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Tom brady and the patriots have been doing this for years. 3rd down is where manning will earn his money. Convert the third downs, we will have longer drives, more points, more rest for defense. The important thing though is getting in the endzone. Manning is a master at finding a way to stuff in there. Cant settle for fgs all game. Big difference in 6-0 and 14-0.

razorwire77
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Peter King looks like a piggy.

DarkHorse30
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
When you move the chains, why would you need to be explosive? 3rd and 20s don't happen when chains are being moved. Tom Brady lives off 3 second dumps to his TEs.

Patriots "managed" their way to 3 sb wins, with a lot of help from their kicker.

I bet Peyton has never had this many "players" around him. Ever. The colts basically relied on him to drive the bus, without a lot of help. Just my 2 cents, and I AM a homer (for those who might be wondering)

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Manning has never been a Brett Frave, Marino or ELway type but if you watch the 2010 season Manning was throwing the underneath stuff even more than usual. I think there probably is a noticiable decrease in arm strength from the 2006 season but like all great QBs, including Elway in '97-'98, he will adapt his game.

Kaylore
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
OH LOOK, SOMEBODY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A BRONCO THAT WASN'T 100% COMPLIMNTARY. HE MUST BE WRONG AND/OR STUPID.

/the orange mane

More like "Oh look someone said Manning will be different and then described Manning as he always has been. He is definitely wrong and/or stupid."

cmhargrove
07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
From that same SI report from Peter King.... "He's throwing the ball fine, and by that I mean if you watch a complete practice, you don't find yourself wondering why Manning is babying his throws, because he's not. He's just not ripping them. He's as accurate as ever, and it may be that this will carry him in 2012. As one former coach of Manning's told me over the weekend (not Tony Dungy), "If I were a Denver fan, I wouldn't be worried about Peyton physically, because if he can't zing the ball the way he used to, he'll figure out a way. He always does.''

I guess what doesn't resonate with me is; I don't recall Peyton Manning ever 'ripping' the ball.. I always remember him being very accurate, but not having the strongest arm.

I'll go another step. Manning throws a lot of "wobblers" also. The thing that always pissed me off was that even if it was a poor spiral, it always landed in the perfect spot and was very catchable by the receiver. His placement and timing are what sets him apart - always has.

TheChamp24
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Seriously, how can a QB be "explosive"?

Dr. Broncenstein
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
In related news... Peter king took enough of a breath between alternately cramming his piehole full of nachos and Tom Brady to comment on something else.

Man-Goblin
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Refried beans. Lots of em. This also works especially well for offensive linemen.

Bronco Boy
07-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Tebow?

Jekyll15Hyde
07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Tebow?

fail

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
In related news... Peter king took enough of a breath between alternately cramming his piehole full of nachos and Tom Brady to comment on something else.

I like Peter King. He used to look like Norm Peterson but he has lost a lot of weight.

I will admit "Explosive" is the wrong word to use but I think he could not think of ONE word to mean "Peyton's arm is weaker" so he said "explosive" as in not as explosive. Not his best work but I would think most people do not disagree with him on it.

ColoradoDarin
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Your first mistake was paying attention to anything King says. If he happens to get one right, well, broken clock time.

Garcia Bronco
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
We had Jay Cutler...say what we want.... cannon.

Peyton...never been a cannon

barryr
07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
The QB's with cannons tend to take risks and throw passes between defenders which looks great if successful but quite dumb if not. So Manning not having a cannon hardly is a problem whether true or not.

Pendejo
07-30-2012, 07:10 PM

/the orange mane

Good call. The posters in this thread have come completely unglued, and have not responded at all reasonably.

Tombstone RJ
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
I like Peter King. He used to look like Norm Peterson but he has lost a lot of weight.

I will admit "Explosive" is the wrong word to use but I think he could not think of ONE word to mean "Peyton's arm is weaker" so he said "explosive" as in not as explosive. Not his best work but I would think most people do not disagree with him on it.

How about "strong"? Manning's arm is not as strong as it was when he was younger?

Nah, King is trying to create a story where there really isn't one. I'd have more respect for him if he just admitted he roots for the pats and could give a rats ass about the Broncos.

Tombstone RJ
07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Good call. The posters in this thread have come completely unglued, and have not responded at all reasonably.

If you can find a scouting report or an article anywhere that describes Manning as having an "explosive" arm, or a "live arm" or a "cannon" arm or anything like that then I'll agree with you. But it's pretty common knowledge that Manning has never had that kind of arm. He's always been super accurate and can make all the throws (or he could before 2010) but he's never been described as an "explosive" QB when it comes to throwing the ball.

Now if Petey is talking about Manning barking crapola at the LOS before the snap, sure, I can see it. But I'm pretty sure that's not what Petey is referring to.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM

/the orange mane

Yup.

errand
07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Manning has never been a Brett Frave, Marino or ELway type but if you watch the 2010 season Manning was throwing the underneath stuff even more than usual. I think there probably is a noticiable decrease in arm strength from the 2006 season but like all great QBs, including Elway in '97-'98, he will adapt his game.

He played in pain during the '10 season....that's why he finally had the surgeries remember? and that's probably why his arm wasn't as lively as in previous years

errand
07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Bottom line is regardless of whether or not Peyton is explosive, or strong armed....it's strong enough and he can make EVERY NFL throw....accurately.

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
He played in pain during the '10 season....that's why he finally had the surgeries remember? and that's probably why his arm wasn't as lively as in previous years

Really, I never put the two together. I remember watching a game that year and seeing him throw short every play. Hmmm, your probably right, maybe he was doing that because he was injured.

I just hope he has the arm to make those bombs that are going to be there all year long. You know with his short game and accuaracy there will be plenty of openings to go deep if he can take advantage of it.

errand
07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Really, I never put the two together. I remember watching a game that year and seeing him throw short every play. Hmmm, your probably right, maybe he was doing that because he was injured.

I just hope he has the arm to make those bombs that are going to be there all year long. You know with his short game and accuaracy there will be plenty of openings to go deep if he can take advantage of it.

I just recall reading an article that said he was experiencing the nerve problems and had the surgery after that season i think.

He'll be fine this season.....from all reports his arm is just as strong as it's ever been.

DENVERDUI55
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Manning has never been a rocket armed QB. He has always been a master of the mental game and making the right reads/calls.

Bacillus Anthracis
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Uh, Peyton Manning not known as explosive or having a strong arm? Have you guys actually managed to avoid watching him play for all these years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpX8JD7uyA&feature=related

Being able to send the ball down 40 yards down the field while throwing off the back of his foot with a flick of his arm = strong arm. The idea that he's been primarily a short yardage thrower is hallucinatory. And any quarterback that can "make every throw on the field" has by definition, a strong arm.

Also, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Brandon Stokely. Do those names mean anything or are those the nobodies so many people here are referring to? Of note as well, witness the pass protection he got in Indi.

That was a damn good team on offense at every position. And Denver doesn't have that. That was what King was talking about. Manning will have to dink and dunk it because he won't have the talent around him to do otherwise and he doesn't have the arm strength he used to.

Tombstone RJ
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Uh, Peyton Manning not known as explosive or having a strong arm? Have you guys actually managed to avoid watching him play for all these years?

Being able to send the ball down 40 yards down the field while throwing off the back of his foot with a flick of his arm = strong arm. The idea that he's been primarily a short yardage thrower is hallucinatory. And any quarterback that can "make every throw on the field" has by definition, a strong arm.

Also, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Brandon Stokely. Do those names mean anything or are those the nobodies so many people here are referring to? Of note as well, witness the pass protection he got in Indi.

That was a damn good team on offense at every position. And Denver doesn't have that. That was what King was talking about. Manning will have to dink and dunk it because he won't have the talent around him to do otherwise and he doesn't have the arm strength he used to.

The point is Manning is not KNOWN for his arm strength and never has been. Neither was Joe Montana but he could make "all the throws" too.

Elway was known for his arm strength, RG3 is described as having a "live arm" aka an "explosive" arm. Some QBs just have a much stronger arm than other QBs and Manning is not one of those types of QBs. But whatever.

ZONA
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
This is sooooooo stupid. Take a look at the stats. Even most big pass plays come from YAC, not so much with the ball in the air. "Explosive" I think has more to do with who ever catches the ball and what it is they do with it once they do catch it.

TheChamp24
07-31-2012, 06:28 AM

Manning's last few years in Indy were with an "average" offensive unit.
Weak OL, weak RB's and having to hope mid round WR picks worked out, some did.
If you want to talk about his early 2000's teams, then yeah, those were loaded on offense.

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 06:35 AM

When a Qb can't challenge a defense deep. The defense get more aggressive with the short passes. (let's see how effectyive a chain mover you are, when a defense figures out your limitations. This is bad Peyton Manning news no matter how you try and spin it. LMao and The Broncos should be favorite to win the AFc West. (what a joke)

Thank You John Elway, You had how much money to spend in FA and this is what you did with that money. :~ohyah!::~ohyah!:

BHamita
07-31-2012, 07:26 AM
. This is bad Peyton Manning news no matter how you try and spin it. LMao and The Broncos should be favorite to win the AFc West. (what a joke)

Thank You John Elway, You had how much money to spend in FA and this is what you did with that money. :~ohyah!::~ohyah!:

This isn't news...this is opinion. I wouldn't expect you to know the difference.

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Agree... as long as the chains keep moving it shouldn't matter. Plus... we know Peyton always finds a way to put it in!

You appear to be mistaking him for Travis Henry.....or Antonio Cromartie.

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
This isn't news...this is opinion. I wouldn't expect you to know the difference.

IF this opinion(Happy) is indeed correct , than is this good news or bad news for the Bronco's. :wave:

Tim Tebow has to be laughing his arse off right about now in New York hearing this news/opinion.

BHamita
07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
IF this opinion(Happy) is indeed correct , than is this good news or bad news for the Bronco's. :wave:

Tim Tebow has to be laughing his arse off right about now in New York hearing this news/opinion.

If.

A word you like when it is your opinion but don't when it's not.

Turd_Ferguson
07-31-2012, 08:13 AM

/the orange mane

Peter King has spent a lifetime being wrong and or stupid...its his thing, well that and being fat...oh and he likes to brag about how he just got off the phone with SUPERSTAR NFL PLAYERS NAME HERE, that's also his thing. Oh and being an arrogant prick...thats definitely his thing.

Kaylore
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
For what it's worth (which is very little) I don't disagree with what he said in the segment. It will take time for him and the rest of the offense to get up to speed. At least six game. But the guy is study and practice machine so it will be faster than most. That said, the other players don't have his work ethic and it's as much about them being on the same page as it is about one guy learning.

I will say they hit at least three big pass plays for scores every practice I've been there, so I am not sure what the baseline is for making an opinion on Manning's big play ability is, but he it is definitely going to be a part of what they do.

Play2win
07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
A screen pass that goes the distance, I would definitely call explosive. A good/great screen game is another awesome thing about having Manning here. (still in disbelief :))

Steve Sewell
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
When a Qb can't challenge a defense deep. The defense get more aggressive with the short passes. (let's see how effectyive a chain mover you are, when a defense figures out your limitations. This is bad Peyton Manning news no matter how you try and spin it. LMao and The Broncos should be favorite to win the AFc West. (what a joke)

The average score of the Broncos-Raiders games this year:

Broncos 35, Raiders 13.

You heard it here first. Make sure to buy a lot of lube.

Irish Stout
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Remember that time the Steelers played us in the playoffs and they thought all we could do was run and throw dump off passes? I think that all teams need to play us like we're only going for 5 yards at a time.

For what its worth, I saw Manning toss a 30-40 yarder at camp. It wasn't Cutler speed, but the timing and placement couldn't have been better.

Dedhed
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Elway was a chain mover for us in 97' and 98'.

Terrell Davis was the chain over in those years, and Elway didn't need to be explosive.

bronco militia
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
For what its worth, I saw Manning toss a 30-40 yarder at camp. It wasn't Cutler speed, but the timing and placement couldn't have been better.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJVUavm7k6j0dKpY0xLRYD6o97ygBVq v_xr-f7R0aKGGlt2SVdMBLKvbbs

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
The average score of the Broncos-Raiders games this year:

Broncos 35, Raiders 13.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
You heard it here first. Make sure to buy a lot of lube.

Sure if your going to dream. Dream you can keep Mcfadden under 100 yards rushing too. When was the last time that happened. :strong:

Dream you can beat the Raiders at home , while you're at it. (when was the last time that happened). Please your one funny dude.

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJVUavm7k6j0dKpY0xLRYD6o97ygBVq v_xr-f7R0aKGGlt2SVdMBLKvbbs

OH Boy with no rush Peyton Manning threw it 30- 40 yards. Let's see him throw that with some pressure and a defender drilling him into the ground.

Man with Tebow as your signal caller last year, it doesn't take much from a Qb to impress you. LMAO

DBroncos4life
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Sure if your going to dream. Dream you can keep Mcfadden under 100 yards rushing too. When was the last time that happened. :strong:

Dream you can beat the Raiders at home , while you're at it. (when was the last time that happened). Please your one funny dude.

I don't remember McBroken rushing for a yard in week 9.

bronco militia
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
OH Boy with no rush Peyton Manning threw it 30- 40 yards. Let's see him throw that with some pressure and a defender drilling him into the ground.

Man with Tebow last year doesn't take much from a Qb to impress you. LMAO

speaking of the Raiders, has anyone else noticed the dumpster fire at the QB position in Oakland?

impressive indeed!

http://www.lakecountrysun.com/newspics/DumpsterFire_9213.jpg

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Terrell Davis was the chain over in those years, and Elway didn't need to be explosive.

ONe problem skippy, without Tebow -that Denver running game isn't that good. Now more is placed On a QB shoulders who arm isn't where it use to be. Sucks to be a Denver Bronco fan. Unless you think Caleb hanie can carry the Bronco's to the promise land.

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Unless you think Caleb hanie can carry the Bronco's to the promise land.

Our backup has as good a shot of doing that as your starter. What's your guy's record in the playoffs again?

DBroncos4life
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
ONe problem skippy, without Tebow -that Denver running game isn't that good. Now more is placed On a QB shoulders who arm isn't where it use to be. Sucks to be a Denver Bronco fan. Unless you think Caleb hanie can carry the Bronco's to the promise land.

Without Tebows rushing stats Denver is 11th in the NFL in rushing. Next?

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't remember McBroken rushing for a yard in week 9.

He didn't play and it the only reason you won. Like I alluded before- when DMc plays the Broncos it a game to pad his stats. Like taking candy from a baby.

DBroncos4life
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
He didn't play and it the only reason you won. Like I alluded before- when DMc plays the Broncos it a game to pad his stats. Like taking candy from a baby.

McBroken will always be broken.

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Without Tebows rushing stats Denver is 11th in the NFL in rushing. Next?

You really think you're in the top five in rushing with the crap you have at RB. Tebow was a big part of the running game that opposing defense were keying on. (open up for those carppy rbs to do better than they are capable) You think The statue of Peyton Manning defense aren't going to be playing your running game straight up. Get real.

Raider9175
07-31-2012, 02:18 PM
McBroken will always be broken.

Even broken he always good for a 120 against your porous defense. Dumberville basically gets driven off the ball five yards every time in the running game .(maybe Bronco will figure out he should just be a situational pass rusher). That there basically isn't a need to put it up while they can pound you into submission every game.

2KBack
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Even broken he always good for a 120 against your porous defense.

3 out of 7 games = Always

DBroncos4life
07-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Even broken he always good for a 120 against your porous defense.

Yeah who and what did your new HC coach?

bronco militia
07-31-2012, 02:30 PM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlnIz8Nj7JI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlnIz8Nj7JI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DENVERDUI55
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
You really think you're in the top five in rushing with the crap you have at RB. Tebow was a big part of the running game that opposing defense were keying on. (open up for those carppy rbs to do better than they are capable) You think The statue of Peyton Manning defense aren't going to be playing your running game straight up. Get real.

The run game will be a hell of a lot better with Manning because teams will actually have to worry about the pass game. Teams played us Cover 0 last year and we still ran on them with zero pass game. Teams do that this year they will give up easy TD throws for Manning.

Irish Stout
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM

To the bolded section - no. If you do, then I sure as hell hope all opposing teams agree with you. A normal NFL defense has to give credence to a QB on a play action pass and cannot always play the run "straight up."

To the logic of your post (or lack thereof) - Tebow averaged 19 passes per game. Defenses were keyed to the run, because thats how we got yards. If an opposing Defense is keyed to the run, wouldn't that mean they should be more prepared to stop the run?

I don't know how you can argue that a more balanced pass/rush attack is going to make us a worse rushing team when we used to be a 75% of the time a rushing team. We might not get the total yards up there, but that is because the attempts are going to drop. Production per attempt in theory, should go up as a Defense is going to have to play the pass or the run closer to 50-50, sometimes opening holes when pass or PA is expected.

Raider logic... defying common logic since 1985.

DENVERDUI55
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
when the hell ever was Manning "explosive" in his passes? What a bunch of bs.

What he is saying in that Video is he thinks that it will take Manning a few weeks in the regular season for the offense to click. He also says he expects Manning to be clicking by the end of the season and Denver to win double digits if the Defense improves enough.

Irish Stout
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Our backup has as good a shot of doing that as your starter. What's your guy's record in the playoffs again?

Just to re-point this out to Raider Joe. He didn't seem to have a response.

As a side note, its entertaining to watch the fan of a team that hasn't been relevant in 10 years profuse their rationale of why the Broncos will suck this year. We've made improvements at almost Raiders fans always forget their claims from each and every prior off season since they were relevant.