PDA

View Full Version : Rookie lineman Derek Wolfe gives Broncos push inside

Dendave
07-30-2012, 07:29 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Derek Wolfe pointed to his upper lip, drawing attention to the thin trace of hair under his nose.

You see the white-trash mustache," he said, grinning. "I'm not pretty. I'm not a big deal."

The Denver Broncos think otherwise. They used their first selection in April's draft, the 36th overall pick, on the defensive lineman from Cincinnati. And after one weekend of training camp, Wolfe had earned significant repetitions with the second team.

Full Story

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-07-29/derek-wolfe-broncos/56582642/1

RhymesayersDU
07-30-2012, 07:38 AM
See you in February, rest of the NFL.

Beantown Bronco
07-30-2012, 07:43 AM
To be fair, I think half this board could earn 2nd team DT reps with the Broncos.

barryr
07-30-2012, 07:44 AM
If the other DT's can stay healthy and control the running game and Wolfe can provide a rush inside, with Dumervil and Miller from the outside, this defense will be much improved and have a chance to be a top 10 defense. It will also provide the defense chances to create turnovers and hide any weaknesses that might be going on in the back seven. But to be a top 10 defense also requires being really good on 3rd downs and quickly getting the ball back to Manning and co.

LRtagger
07-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Sweet our first pick in the draft is earning second team TC reps with the worst DT rotation in the league.

Rabb
07-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I am pretty excited about this kid and our D overall.

But hey, don't let me interrupt the Debbie Downer hour.

Rascal
07-30-2012, 07:50 AM
To be fair, I think half this board could earn 2nd team DT reps with the Broncos.

Go hit the gym, fatso.

:)

BMarsh615
07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Sweet our first pick in the draft is earning second team TC reps with the worst DT rotation in the league.

He missed every OTA practice because his class hadn't graduated yet. He is behind in the playbook, I don't know why him being on the second team would surprise you.

Rabb
07-30-2012, 08:31 AM
He missed every OTA practice because his class hadn't graduated yet. He is behind in the playbook, I don't know why him being on the second team would surprise you.

or even matter since it's the first week of TC...

LRtagger
07-30-2012, 09:19 AM

It doesnt - it's just funny that USA Today wrote an article about it.

cmhargrove
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm just going to be very interested to see if Doom becomes more of a situational guy in Del Rio's new defense. It seems that with the group we have, we could have some big mofo's playing bookends to crush the run, and Miller providing the pass rush when necessary.

I love Elvis, but if I were the D-coordinator I would be checking out the combinations of larger d-ends to force teams into obvious passing situations (against our bolstered secondary).

It will be fun to watch.

IHaveALight
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm just going to be very interested to see if Doom becomes more of a situational guy in Del Rio's new defense. It seems that with the group we have, we could have some big mofo's playing bookends to crush the run, and Miller providing the pass rush when necessary.

I love Elvis, but if I were the D-coordinator I would be checking out the combinations of larger d-ends to force teams into obvious passing situations (against our bolstered secondary).

It will be fun to watch.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq4Q90zqIitRLRNHTnWzBTLwr5cDHN1 l57g9Efles2dhSz6f2u

cmhargrove
07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq4Q90zqIitRLRNHTnWzBTLwr5cDHN1 l57g9Efles2dhSz6f2u

Is that you and your kid?

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
That was a good article, I like that he is humble and I think he can see how good things will be fir him with Doom and Von. He is thinking If I work hard, does not stop and get a push in the middle I am looking at 5-7 sacks this year. AND that will be money in his pocket.

Lolad
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

It will be fun to watch.

Before the injury doom looked strong versus the run last season. I don't have much confidence in him either, our lateral quickness was sorely lacking last year. I think that has as much to do with Mays being a slow MLB, DJ not being able to shed a block and Von always wanting to rush the QB

cmhargrove
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Before the injury doom looked strong versus the run last season. I don't have much confidence in him either, our lateral quickness was sorely lacking last year. I think that has as much to do with Mays being a slow MLB, DJ not being able to shed a block and Von always wanting to rush the QB

I love Elvis, and he may be the best all around threat at DE. However, it seems like we have aquired a lot of DE "tweeners" that could help bolster the run D. It will probably be Elvis because of how we expect Manning to affect the game (forcing other teams to catch up through the passing game). However, it would make sense to see what heavy packages look like with guys like Wolfe, Ayers, and Malik Jackson playing at D-end. It seems that Del Rio is asking the d-line to do a better job at occupying blockers this year, and we have also heard a lot about Wolfe practicing at D-end already.

It also makes sense to give Elvis a breather and get him ready to bring hell on obvious passing situations. Anyway, we are just about a week and a half from seeing what the coaches are going to try, so we will all find out soon enough.

55CrushEm
07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Is that you and your kid?

Oh, no you didn't.......did you?

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I figured Req would've been all over the white trash mustache quote.

Kaylore
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I figured Req would've been all over the white trash mustache quote.

Seriously! The Meth-stache!

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I think Derek Wolfe will end up being a very good and versatile defensive lineman for Denver.

He is a high energy/high motor guy with some natural pass rushing skills.

Br0nc0Buster
07-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I am actually kind of excited to see our Dline play with the glowing reports about Warren, Wolfe, and Jackson

Same thing Kahn said about Wolfe, struggling against double teams, is what I remember from watching his games

Seems he did a really good job in his one on ones, but was a nonfactor when doubled

Not that he is going to be doubled very often, but hopefull he can work on that

I also heard some good things about Vickerson
And Bannan I think will be the other starter next to Warren
According to the Rams fans I talked to last year he is still a good run stuffer

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I am actually kind of excited to see our Dline play with the glowing reports about Warren, Wolfe, and Jackson

Same thing Kahn said about Wolfe, struggling against double teams, is what I remember from watching his games

Seems he did a really good job in his one on ones, but was a nonfactor when doubled

Every single DT in the NFL struggles against double teams.

Br0nc0Buster
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Every single DT in the NFL struggles against double teams.

Apparently Warren doesnt

Wolfe is a non factor though
Not every player who gets doubled is completely neutralized like Wolfe seemed to get in college

bronco militia
07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.grubgrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Fluffernutter.jpg

Doggcow
07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

I also heard some good things about Vickerson
And Bannan I think will be the other starter next to Warren
According to the Rams fans I talked to last year he is still a good run stuffer

I would be thrilled if Wolfe was able to draw double teams. Whether it neutralizes him completely or not. That would be huge for our D.

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Apparently Warren doesnt

Wolfe is a non factor though
Not every player who gets doubled is completely neutralized like Wolfe seemed to get in college

If a person did not struggle against double teams than he would have 30 sacks every year.

Bacchus
07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I would be thrilled if Wolfe was able to draw double teams. Whether it neutralizes him completely or not. That would be huge for our D.

Exactly, if he ever got to the point where he would be doubled and not Warren or Doom it would be an amazing thing.

The fact that "he struggles" against double teams is not a big deal. He won't be doubled in Denver and if his is than that would be great because it means he is playing better than Warren.

houghtam
07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
"Hey, anyone know how my boy 4th round pick Jared Crick is doin' these days?"

- Sincerely...

LOL