PDA

View Full Version : How Elway lured Peyton Manning to the Broncos

Bronco Rob
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Cole: Once you knew he was interested, did you guys do a lot of plotting about how you were going to pitch it to him? Or did you play it a little more loosely because, as a former quarterback, you had a pretty good feel for how to talk to him?

Elway: It wasn't an elaborate sit-down that was all organized with a big, huge presentation. It was to get him in here and show him what we were all about, introduce him to the offensive guys and have him look around. Obviously, I've been around him quite a bit, but it was to show him what we have. I just knew that you weren't going to push Peyton into a corner. So the bottom line was to show him the best of what we have, answer any questions he had for us and not put any pressure on him. Give him the space to make a decision and believe that we had a lot to offer here. We didn't hard sell it, we soft sold it because we felt good about where we were.

I just knew that if I was him and I had just gotten released by a team I had played 14 years for, if there was some team that said to me, "You have to come in and do it now," I know I would have walked away. That's why I knew Peyton was going to take his time. He was still dealing with getting released. Even though the rumors were out there for a long time, I still believe he was a little bit shocked that he got released. Even though you hear it, when it's that final, it's still a little bit of a shock and I understood that. So it was going to take him time to get away from that situation, clear his mind and realize what was going on and be able to figure out what he wanted to do.

Again, he was not going to make a quick decision. Even though everybody was saying, "He's going to sign there," or "Miami has a deal with Peyton" or "They're not going to let him get out of the building," I knew that wasn't the case because he was going to have to go through his process. We were going to have to go through our process as well. We were going to have to see him throw eventually. So it was going to take time and it took about 10 or 11 days.

Cole: When the Dolphins went through choosing between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper in 2006, the part they really missed was the complete dedication that Brees had to getting healthy. Do you see that same determination in Manning as Brees had in coming back from a shoulder injury?

Elway: Yeah. The way the tests are coming back and the nerve is coming back, everything is way ahead of where we thought it would be. Peyton is still a young guy at 35, 36 years old. He still has a lot of football in front of him and if you get a guy like that with a chip on his shoulder then I think it makes it even better.

Cole: So he doesn't require a lot of prodding?

Elway: Having been around Peyton for four or five months, he's not one of those guys who loses that chip. You don't have to prod him.

The writer goes on to ask him about the Ozzie Newsome comparisons, ability to gauge talent, his fathers influence and golf.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--john-elway-q-a--how-the-hall-of-fame-qb-lured-peyton-manning-to-the-broncos.html

BroncoLifer
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Just read the whole interview. That was good - thanks!

I liked this line:
"Just as he did in so many games as a player, Elway kept his cool in the middle of the high-pressure pursuit that also featured San Francisco, Miami, Kansas City, Tennessee, Seattle, the New York Jets and Washington."

Bronco Rob
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Just read the whole interview. That was good - thanks!

I liked this line:
"Just as he did in so many games as a player, Elway kept his cool in the middle of the high-pressure pursuit that also featured San Francisco, Miami, Kansas City, Tennessee, Seattle, the New York Jets and Washington."

I wasn't aware that the Jets were in the mix until today.

Still wondering who were the other four teams that contacted Condon after Peytons release from Indy.

Play2win
07-26-2012, 12:11 PM
That was awesome! That was great.

One of my favorites— Elway: ...At 38, you retire from playing and then you're in your 40s and then you get into your 50s and you're still a young man.

Bronco Rob
07-27-2012, 01:07 AM
That was awesome! That was great.

One of my favorites— Elway: ...At 38, you retire from playing and then you're in your 40s and then you get into your 50s and you're still a young man.

:thumbs: