PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Husky...

Taco John
07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
My family is considering getting a dog. I prefer midsized, if not under-midsized dogs. I've read on the Internets that the Siberian Husky is a mid-sized beast, and I'm intrigued. Would love to hear what people's experiences are with this breed.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I had one for 13 years. Lots of personality, a lot of fun...but i wouldnt recommend them. They tend to be INCREDIBLY stubborn, you cant let them off the leash (its their inclination to run) and forget about every wearing black again because their white sheds everywhere. They dig huge holes in the backyard, they are ultra hyper, and its not unlike them to destroy things. No regrets with my dog, she was a great dog (if a huge PITA), but i just want to show what youre getting yourself into :)

razorwire77
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Cool dogs and highly intelligent, but I also wouldn't recommend them. Co-sign 100 percent with them being incredibly stubborn. My aunt had one that would literally bolt off leash constantly and chewed everything. They are also highly instinctive and have a high prey drive, which can be dangerous when it encounters other small animals. My aunt finally had to put her's to sleep after he seriously wounded and death shook another smaller dog at a dog park.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
My family is considering getting a dog. I prefer midsized, if not under-midsized dogs. I've read on the Internets that the Siberian Husky is a mid-sized beast, and I'm intrigued. Would love to hear what people's experiences are with this breed.

First off some background on the dogs I have raised. Jindos, Elkhounds, Golden Retrievers. Huskeys are one of those big loveable type breeds that are great as long as the owner is responsible and makes the dog feel part of the pack. If not they can get mean and snippy. They don't make great guard dogs as they don't really want to bite humans. They do however make a good watchdog that will bark at strangers and wag tail for friends.

They have a lot of energy and love to play. Medically they are prone to hip problems like most large breeds. Also my friend who has owned a few claims their skin is pretty sensative.

Now if you want to have an open mind check out Korean Jindos. They don't get along well with other animals but are great dogs. Independent, agile, fast, great hunters, and no genetic problems. My current Jindo will be 15 in January, she still hunts the neighborhood cats and possums lol. She has been to vet only for shots and to have her ears cleaned out once.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Cool dogs and highly intelligent, but I also wouldn't recommend them. Co-sign 100 percent with them being incredibly stubborn. My aunt had one that would literally bolt off leash constantly and chewed everything. They are also highly instinctive and have a high prey drive, which can be dangerous when it encounters other small animals. My aunt finally had to put her's to sleep after he seriously wounded and death shook another smaller dog at a dog park.

I'd say with a Huskey, it needs a dominant owner who shows that it is bottom of the pack. Your aunt may not have trained the Huskey right, because normally they listen well when trained.

Dog enthusiasts would probably disagree with the breed being categorized as stubborn. They do have a small animal prey drive.

KillerBronco#76
07-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Very independent breed a little too much wolf in them, and boundless energy. if your looking for a wolf based breed go with the german sheppard, the same intelligence but much easier to train.

misturanderson
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
What they're saying above is true. They are also master escape artists and will need some form of electric fencing (or fencing they can't dig under or jump over) to keep them confined. All in all there are a ton of breeds that are better suited to living in a home. As a vet I've seen a few well-behaved huskies, but far more that are extremely stubborn and just tend to make trouble.

I'd recommend a border collie as a somewhat similar alternative, if you can handle a high energy dog. Much easier to train, less destructive and just generally less hassle as they seem to accept their role more easily than huskies do. Just make sure you spend the time to train them and give them adequate exercise (as should be the case with any dog).

razorwire77
07-26-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd say with a Huskey, it needs a dominant owner who shows that it is bottom of the pack. Your aunt may not have trained the Huskey right, because normally they listen well when trained.

Dog enthusiasts would probably disagree with the breed being categorized as stubborn. They do have a small animal prey drive.

No doubt that a forceful and well educated owner is critical and my aunt was certainly not the right type of person to have a Husky. In that regard though, I don't think a stubborn, strong-willed, dog with a heightened prey drive and one that is happiest in a pack setting outdoors would be the best choice to have around children in a suburban environment. Small animal prey drive can also be triggered when kids act like well, kids. I mean on a scale of 1-5 easy to hard breeds to own, a husky is about a 4. I think most knowledgeable dog enthusiasts would agree that it's a lot more challenging, generally speaking than owning a Golden Retriever for example.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Most people who have dogs who escape aren't excerised enough and trained properly.

I don't think dog breeders would say Huskeys need an electric fence lol. Not when properly trained and worked each day.

But if you don't want to play with your dog an hour a day at least, every day, then don't get a high energy dog like a Huskey. They will end up destroying, digging, chewing, and trying to get out to find something to do.

Breeds like a Huskey need a job to do every day.

Someone mentioned German Shepards. They need the same type of attention. If not they can get mean and destructive like a Huskey can't. Germans have no problem biting people. One of the easiest dogs to get to bit strangers.....With IMO Rottwielers being number 1.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 12:57 AM
No doubt that a forceful and well educated owner is critical and my aunt was certainly not the right type of person to have a Husky. In that regard though, I don't think a stubborn, strong-willed, dog with a heightened prey drive and one that is happiest in a pack setting outdoors would be the best choice to have around children in a suburban environment. Small animal prey drive can also be triggered when kids act like well, kids. I mean on a scale of 1-5 easy to hard breeds to own, a husky is about a 4. I think most knowledgeable dog enthusiasts would agree that it's a lot more challenging, generally speaking than owning a Golden Retriever for example.

I agree. The wolflike breeds although not always good guard dogs, can be snippy. I'd say kids under the teenage yrs would be 100% better off with a Golden Retriever.

razorwire77
07-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Most people who have dogs who escape aren't excerised enough and trained properly.

I don't think dog breeders would say Huskeys need an electric fence lol. Not when properly trained and worked each day.

But if you don't want to play with your dog an hour a day at least, every day, then don't get a high energy dog like a Huskey. They will end up destroying, digging, chewing, and trying to get out to find something to do.

Someone mentioned German Shepards. They need the same type of attention. If not they can get mean and destructive like a Huskey can't. Germans have no problem biting people. One of the easiest dogs to get to bit strangers.....With IMO Rottwielers being number 1.

Good call on German Shepherds. When well bred and well trained, they are an amazing dog, when they are poorly bred (as is often the case) and not trained they are neurotic, prone to "fear bite" and often have hip problems. My current dog is a Border Collie and he is hands down the best dog I've ever owned (smart, energetic, good around other dogs, surprisingly good watchdog, great personality etc.)

misturanderson
07-26-2012, 01:09 AM

When my roommate got a husky from a husky rescue, that was a prerequisite for him getting the dog. He didn't maintain the fence and the dog escaped constantly. She also dug up our back yard, dug through our fence,ruined our screen door, peed inside regularly, knocked over and tore up our trash on a daily basis, would steal food off the counter, the list of transgressions goes on. He didn't do a great job of training her, but he did exercise her regularly. The dog I had growing up was a husky mix and she did the exact same things.

I agree, I don't agree that huskies are no more destructive when bored than other dog breeds. I will always discourage anyone that asks me for advice about getting a husky because they absolutely ruin property when they are bored and they get bored very easily.

I have only met 2 mean rotties that I can think of, I know that statistics bear out German shepherds being more likely to bite than most breeds, but I'm not aware of Rottweilers being common biters (especially those that aren't abused or trained as guard dogs).

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Good call on German Shepherds. When well bred and well trained, they are an amazing dog, when they are poorly bred (as is often the case) and not trained they are neurotic, prone to "fear bite" and often have hip problems. My current dog is a Border Collie and he is hands down the best dog I've ever owned (smart, energetic, good around other dogs, surprisingly good watchdog, great personality etc.)

Heard a lot of great things about Border Collies. I always assume i may be a bit too lazy for one. My Jindos good with about a 30 minute walk each day. They are really good about just chasing birds and other animals in the yard for hours entertaining themselves.

But they are super agile. They will chase things right over a 6 foot wall when young and in their prime. No joke cat like attributes. When mine where younger I would come home and they would be laying in front yard. Once trained though and settled down out of wild teenage years they would stay in backyard with gate open. But super high prey drive you really cant get out of them. My girl Tara has caught squirrels before they can get up a tree by getting about 6-7 feet up those suckers on a run. That was years ago though, she is 14 now and lost most of her speed. She still gets around though really well.

Best thing about a Jindo is they are incredibly cheep to own. They don't get sick.

Bacchus
07-26-2012, 03:22 AM

The very best dog I ever had was a St. Bernard. Very loyal, Super great with kids and just dopey enough to laugh at while drinking beer.

Taco John
07-26-2012, 03:41 AM
We don't have a big yard, and really aren't big dog people. I want something closer to mid-sized, and what I read about the Siberian Husky is that they are that. I think we've ruled out the Husky or the wolf breeds altogether - unless they are bred with a smaller, tamer dog.

My last dog, Ollie, was a border collie/Chihuahua mix - the most awesome mix ever. It was an unlikely mix, and he turned out to be the greatest dog I've ever owned. That's what I really want - Ollie back. But what are you going to do...

Anyway, my wife is saying "no" right now, but when I find the right dog, she won't be able to resist me. :)

Taco John
07-26-2012, 03:53 AM
This looks like a promising breed:

Shikoku:
http://shikokudog.com/

Very expensive though...

Meck77
07-26-2012, 03:59 AM
I was going to suggest border collie. I have pure breed and when I go to the dog park all the kids gravitate towards him and often leave theirs dogs behind. He's a ball retrieving/frisbee catching machine and the kids can't get enough of him. May not be the best fit with a smaller yard though. Having had one yourself you already know what I'm talking about. Not sure what the personality of a chihuahua/border collie mix is though!

Taco John
07-26-2012, 04:04 AM
I was going to suggest border collie. I have pure breed and when I go to the dog park all the kids gravitate towards him and often leave theirs dogs behind. He's a ball retrieving/frisbee catching machine and the kids can't get enough of him. May not be the best fit with a smaller yard though. Having had one yourself you already know what I'm talking about. Not sure what the personality of a chihuahua/border collie mix is though!

Ollie was a homebody, who loved to run - but usually on his terms. He was fond of going on walks to get out, but at the slightest hint of rain or bad weather, he refused many a walk preferring the comfort of the fireplace or his bed. But man, when he ran, boy did he run. We called him Barry Sanders Dog because of the little jukes and cuts he would make, and near missed he would miraculously avoid. He was whip smart - too smart sometimes. The Chihuahua in him made him cautious, but the Border Collie in him made him an awesome hiking dog. It was a great mix.

The Joker
07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
We have a two year old Siberian Husky at the moment, he's an incredibly good natured dog. They can be quite stubborn, I have to agree with that, and he's not the best guard dog in the world as he's afraid of strangers and tends to hide when they come to the house! Once he knows somebody isn't out to get him though he's extremely friendly.

I'd recommend them a lot. Wouldn't exactly describe him as mid-sized though, he's absolutely massive!

Baba Booey
07-26-2012, 04:33 AM
White German Shepard.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/21/30468038_0c8c753ee9_z.jpg

My buddy has one named Thor and he's awesome. Never barks unless there's something actually wrong, very mellow.

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks growing up, and they were fantastic as well. They're big dogs though (up to 100+). Great with kids, though, and pretty mild mannered.

http://anzantra.com/bilder/ovrigt/rhodesian_ridgeback/nharo_ridge.jpg

v2micca
07-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Yes, as you can see from my Avatar, I also have a White German Sheppard. Like you said, very mellow dog. Only barks at the rabbits in the back yard that I swear taunt him. He is a bit of a whiner at times though.

Broncoman13
07-26-2012, 05:39 AM

Look into a golden doodle. Extremely smart, well behaved, and beautiful. Don't shed near as much, if at all. Plus, they are resistant to disease.

socalorado
07-26-2012, 07:40 AM
White German Shepard.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/21/30468038_0c8c753ee9_z.jpg

My buddy has one named Thor and he's awesome. Never barks unless there's something actually wrong, very mellow.

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks growing up, and they were fantastic as well. They're big dogs though (up to 100+). Great with kids, though, and pretty mild mannered.

http://anzantra.com/bilder/ovrigt/rhodesian_ridgeback/nharo_ridge.jpg

Nailed it!
White German Shepards rule! Great dog with a very loyal personality, and rarely barks. Good watchdog, and an imposing animal. People tend to be aware of these dogs.
Ridgebacks are another fantastic animal. GREAT WITH KIDS. Your right on.
Again, a big, imposing dog that will make a burglar think twice.
A huge issue are dogs that bark, and both of these dogs are naturally not big barkers.
However, whatever dog the author of this thread gets, it MUST be properly trained.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
After having a few mutts and mixes, I'll never own another purebred dog again. Too many health problems with too many of them.

Plus, with so many animals in the shelter, why not head there to find your new friend?

My dog Missoula is the sweetest animal, loves to play, and weighs about 40 pounds. She's an American Foxhound/OTHER mix, and is just fantastic.

ghwk
07-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Blue Heeler. Smart, moderate size and good family dog. Also if you have sheep they are amazing at herd control if trained. And really really smart.

Meck77
07-26-2012, 08:01 AM
After having a few mutts and mixes, I'll never own another purebred dog again. Too many health problems with too many of them.

Plus, with so many animals in the shelter, why not head there to find your new friend?

My dog Missoula is the sweetest animal, loves to play, and weighs about 40 pounds. She's an American Foxhound/OTHER mix, and is just fantastic.

I can argue this both ways. It depends on the use of your dog. I was fortunate to get my pure bred for free but he also happens to be a working dog. To take a chance on mutt from the pound to work livestock isn't very realistic.

I've always gotten my dogs from the pound and we tried it again this summer. My wife wanted a little lap dog. We found a "sweet little" dog and they pulled the paperwork on her. They tell us she's been in a foster home for a month and was a nice dog. We take her home and turns out the thing has a mean streak. It bit my friends hand in three places the second day. We take the dog back only to find out the ****ed the paperwork up and the dog had a pretty rough history. Luckily I don't have children or the dog didn't tear into the neighbors kids.

Anyway yes the pound is a great option to get a dog but it is by no means a one size fits all solution to dog ownership.

BroncoInferno
07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I would highly recommend a standard poodle. Their intelligence is sometimes mind-boggling, they are extremely easy to train (in my experience, at least), they are hypo-allergenic and don't shed, and they have terrific personalities and are great with kids. A very loyal breed, too. They are a little bigger than you described you were looking for, but don't let that deter you. They are perfectly content as an in-door dog. I can't really think of a down-side with this breed.

crowebomber
07-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Mine was an escape artist. We had a big yard too, but when we were away at work, she felt the need to take off. She could climb like a cat and, if not, would dig under. Once she even chewed and bent up the chainlink on a gate until she could squeeze through.

Rohirrim
07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Best family and all around dog? Golden Retriever.

yerner
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
get a shelter dog that needs a home.

mix breeds are just better. suck it if you don't agree. Suck. IT.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I can argue this both ways. It depends on the use of your dog. I was fortunate to get my pure bred for free but he also happens to be a working dog. To take a chance on mutt from the pound to work livestock isn't very realistic.

I've always gotten my dogs from the pound and we tried it again this summer. My wife wanted a little lap dog. We found a "sweet little" dog and they pulled the paperwork on her. They tell us she's been in a foster home for a month and was a nice dog. We take her home and turns out the thing has a mean streak. It bit my friends hand in three places the second day. We take the dog back only to find out the ****ed the paperwork up and the dog had a pretty rough history. Luckily I don't have children or the dog didn't tear into the neighbors kids.

Anyway yes the pound is a great option to get a dog but it is by no means a one size fits all solution to dog ownership.

That makes a lot of sense, and if you're going to be working your dog or taking him/her hunting, obviously, there are certain things you need to look for and purebreds are the better option.

bronco militia
07-26-2012, 09:40 AM

lots of furr.....do some research on labradoodle, or other poodle mixes if you have alergy concerns.

vancejohnson82
07-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Thats terrible....sucks that you had that experience. I've volunteered at shelters in 3 different states and I've never had something like that happen. I've had owners return dogs to me before, but for reasons like "we realized we aren't home enough" or "we got the first vet bill and we can't afford to have a dog."

there are so many great dogs in shelters but it is all about taking your time and finding the right one. Most dogs that end up in foster homes are the best because its like a halfway house for them. Sometimes when they are stuck in the pound for months and months they end up picking up some nasty habits from their poundmates

I've got a mid-sizeed "brown dog' right now. Was fostering him last year and just couldnt let him go.

I never chastise people who go out and buy dogs but more often then not they sign up for more than they bargain for.

misturanderson
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
That makes a lot of sense, and if you're going to be working your dog or taking him/her hunting, obviously, there are certain things you need to look for and purebreds are the better option.

As with almost everything in life, there is no one-size-fits-all option for dogs.

You will pay significantly more to get a pure-bred dog (and will often have to pay more in the long run in medical bills, though that is certainly just a law of averages and mixes can get just as sick as pure-breds and pure-breds can stay healthy their whole lives) to have the specific qualities inherent in a breed. Make sure that you get the dog from a good breeder with good breeding stock if you decide to go this route, because pure-bred dogs can be extremely prone to major issues if the breeders are irresponsible with which dogs they breed.

If you are simply looking for a family pet it may be a better option to just visit some shelters and the puppy rescue in Brighton to find a dog whose personality, size and energy level fit you. If you take the time to do the research and do a good job training and socializing a dog it is a rewarding experience and you can end up with a really great dog.

24champ
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM

I'd think you'd like the Shiba Inu's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Shiba_Inu_black-and-tan.jpg

Chris
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Honestly I would look into some of the classic english dogs since they're dying out (because everyone wants a pug). Many are mid-sized.

Johnykbr
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM

I have a Shiba/Chihuahua mix and you have to be able to deal with the noise that they make. It's called the "Shiba Yowl" and it is downright weird when my dog does it. They are very vocal dogs. They love to bark and let every know they are there. Excellent watch-dogs and tend to be very smart but can have an aggressive streak if not properly trained.

Taco John
07-26-2012, 12:10 PM

That's exactly the size of dog I'm looking for... I'm going to have to look into that one. It looks like it could be a shedding concern, though...

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Just get a boxer already and call it a day.

Taco John
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM

I like Boxers, but of the people I know who have owned them, they seem to have health problems. That's kind of scared me off the breed.

Cito Pelon
07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Eh, just browse the shelter web sites. There's tons of them in every urban area, and give a lot of info on the dogs. I always like to get a mature dog already house-broken, spayed/neutered, with some info about their nature and habits. Browsing those shelter websites you'll find a lot of dogs 1-3 years old that are trained and ready for a good home. You'll find a lot of Labs, which are great family dogs.

Blueflame
07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
When our kids were small, we adopted a Newfoundland from the pound (he certainly looked to be a purebred) and he completely "sold" us on that breed with how good he was with the kids... protective but as gentle as could be. Definitely not a "small" or even "medium" size though... lol I'd guess he weighed 130-140 lbs. Home security is another upside to having a huge dog.

Drunk Monkey
07-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Beagle FTW

http://www.marthastewart.com/sites/files/marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pets/akc/2009Q1/akc_beagle_13inc_bloom_xl.jpg

Broncoman13
07-26-2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=goldendoodle&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=e70RUPCUDIWC8ATlhICQDA&ved=0CDcQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=900

Do yourself a favor Taco and look into the Golden-doodles. Golden Retrievers are very affectionate and good around kids and strangers. Poodles are one of the most intelligent breeds out there. You get the best of both worlds... Plus no or very little shedding.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
That's exactly the size of dog I'm looking for... I'm going to have to look into that one. It looks like it could be a shedding concern, though...

Shibu Inu are minature Jindos. But you are right they both shed like crazy. What is cool though is they don't have the typically doggie oder. Very clean dogs.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Shikoku:

Very expensive though...

Another JINDO clone from Japan. Check out the original.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
My white Jindo gets mistaken for a white German Shepard all the time. Germans bigger though.

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Eh, just browse the shelter web sites. There's tons of them in every urban area, and give a lot of info on the dogs. I always like to get a mature dog already house-broken, spayed/neutered, with some info about their nature and habits. Browsing those shelter websites you'll find a lot of dogs 1-3 years old that are trained and ready for a good home. You'll find a lot of Labs, which are great family dogs.

Shelter dogs are a nightmare from what i have seen. For every 2-3 good dogs there are a few that turn into money pits or just plain bad pets. Many of the dogs have been abused and need big time work.

Still best to go to a reputable breeder.

Bronco Yoda
07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
One of my neighbors has two Huskies. Cutest things I've ever seen as pups. But I'm glad we didn't get them. Their back yard is always full of Hair balls the size of small tumbleweeds. They can't take them to the park and let them off the leash to play Frisbee like we can with our Labs (rescue dogs from the pound)

UberBroncoMan
07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Get a Standard Poodle and be done with it. No shedding. Highly athletic. Smart as ****. Very loving. Just don't style it like a ****ing french show dog and it will look beast.

ludo21
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
im with the shelter peeps.

Wayyyy to many dogs down there, help them out before breeders

both our dogs are from the shelter and are AMAZING, other than their eating diapers habit................gross.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I really like pit bulls. I know retarded conventional wisdom says they are bad, but they generally are great family dogs, protective of their own, and loving. A bit needy though.

Bronco Yoda
07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
yes, please get one from a shelter. No reason to give money to a puppy mill when animal shelters are overflowing with loving dogs waiting to be either adopted or destroyed. It is never lost on our young kids they they 'saved' their dogs.

HorseHead
07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Great suggestions in regards to adopting....no s-it, those dogs will show an unconditional love like nothing else...

Should you go to a breeder, Shiba Inus kick a-s..., they do blow their coat about twice a year, and shed a little in between but an amazing breed. People will literally stop their cars in the middle of traffic to ask you about it.

Train early! They are funny in a sense that they will test you in a very sweet way. Females are a little more chill than males...

cutthemdown
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd take the real thing, a Jindo, over a smaller Shibu Inu any day.

ELEVATION
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
huskies are great dogs if your responsible and not lazy and have the will power to have patience in training. I have 3 huskies and have trained all 3 since a young age. I have 2 males and a female. One of the females and males i got as 8 week old puppies both were from different liters, and i got the other male as a 1 1/2 year old rescue. all 3 are now 4 years old. I have never had 1 escape, fight, hurt, attack or cause me significgant drama. This was becasue I trained them properly. If trained well huskies will learn who is dominant. Once you become the dominant 1 through training you will own and it will be a blast having them.

recommendations

2 huskies are better then 1. If you dont have time to play or exercise 1 by itself. If you have 2 huskies you will find they entertain themselves for hours play fighting and wrestling.

make a actual kennel run inside your fenced yard to keep them overnight and while away for the day. doing this makes them think that they are escaping by being ion the bigger yard so the drive to escape a 6 foot fence backyard diminishes signifantly.

keep up to date with vet stuff

get them a sled for the winter or a summer sled with wheels the fun you will ahve as well is endless.

get a vaccum for when they blow there coat 2 times a year...its a mess.

just a few tips from me.....we actually are considering getting a 4th husky thats how much we love them. it all comes down to tarining and showing who pack leader is through proper technique. if you dont want to deal with this then a husky is not for you at all

ELEVATION
07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
yes, please get one from a shelter. No reason to give money to a puppy mill when animal shelters are overflowing with loving dogs waiting to be either adopted or destroyed. It is never lost on our young kids they they 'saved' their dogs.

tons of huskies in shelters from owners that were lazy and didnt have a clue about the breed before getting one.

Johnykbr
07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Great suggestions in regards to adopting....no s-it, those dogs will show an unconditional love like nothing else...

Should you go to a breeder, Shiba Inus kick a-s..., they do blow their coat about twice a year, and shed a little in between but an amazing breed. People will literally stop their cars in the middle of traffic to ask you about it.

Train early! They are funny in a sense that they will test you in a very sweet way. Females are a little more chill than males...

We shaved ours to about a little over half an inch to cope with the extreme heat in NC and he hardly sheds anymore. Their coats are so thick you can't even tell.

MVP-06
07-27-2012, 10:06 AM

this

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/319027_248274938542169_880808030_n.jpg

Our first Boxer "Tyson"

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/480412_414300958606232_226348682_n.jpg

Our new puppy "Lennox"

broncosteven
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
We don't have a big yard, and really aren't big dog people. I want something closer to mid-sized, and what I read about the Siberian Husky is that they are that. I think we've ruled out the Husky or the wolf breeds altogether - unless they are bred with a smaller, tamer dog.

My last dog, Ollie, was a border collie/Chihuahua mix - the most awesome mix ever. It was an unlikely mix, and he turned out to be the greatest dog I've ever owned. That's what I really want - Ollie back. But what are you going to do...

Anyway, my wife is saying "no" right now, but when I find the right dog, she won't be able to resist me. :)

My step-grandad had a Husky, it was a beautiful dog but it was as advertized above. He had a farm and it was a great outside dog but eventually got killed by a car because it took off on him. I would get one if I had acerage and trained it.

Have you looked at Scottie Terriers? I love them, have had them all my life and they are good with kids and play/walk well and are very pretty dogs.

I would recommend a pure breed though.

Cito Pelon
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Shelter dogs are a nightmare from what i have seen. For every 2-3 good dogs there are a few that turn into money pits or just plain bad pets. Many of the dogs have been abused and need big time work.

Please.

BroncoInferno
07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Our first Boxer "Tyson"

Our new puppy "Lennox"

I see what you did there :~ohyah!:

MVP-06
07-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I see what you did there :~ohyah!:

sadly a lot of people don't get the "Lennox"

cutthemdown
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Please.

I worked at a shelter. They don't tell you about how 10-15% of the people return dogs for being just too hard to make calm or decent pets? Or how many of them have been abused and will always have some problems etc etc. Not saying you can't find a good pet there, just saying I don't recommend them like everyone else does. I am really into raising dogs and feel knowing the animals lineage and breeding line makes a difference.

I went all the way to Koreatown in San Fran to buy my dog of a breeder who is known in the Korean community as having excellent Jindos. I have been to the vet only for shots in 15 yrs.

My brother got a Jindo from a shelter that has been a nightmare, so i see it first hand.

Ratboy
07-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Shikoku:

Very expensive though...

Shiba Inu is a good breed here in Japan. They are supposed to be very clean dogs.

lonestar
07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
One of the best dogs I have owned was a miniature pinscher.. not a Doberman but better a house dog that will rule the house if allowed.

No one comes in your house without being escorted..
Rarely will bite but will if any of the family is threatened.. Had one of my older brothers friend rough me up one day and Rusty lit into him like he was a pit bull..

I once saw my guy chasing a black lab that had 50 pounds on him and the lab was scaared ****less..

A great family dog and if you allow it will sleep with the kids in a heart beat..

Short coat does not shed hardly at all and other than shots never spent a day at the vet..

http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_pinscher/

Another good one is an Elkhound but they requires loads of grooming as does the Saint Bernard..

Right now I have a Wieneramier probably bigger than your looking for but the smartest dog I've ever owned again almost no coat to shed..

She does not eat but about 4 cups of dry food a day and will steal anything that hits the floor .. Loves chewing on ice cubes and although she now has cancer a few months to live, she has been at my side since I got her loves to sleep on the bed but she has to sleep on her own bed on the floor.. Right now sleeping behind my desk.. snoring like a locomotive....

Scares the beJesus out of anyone coming to the door.. and is good at killing & eating crows and doves we seem to have a lot of here in town..

Rules her house and back yard well no one comes in without her announcing it and being introduced to her.. Knows about any command I wish to give her but still is not Off leash trained.. She does love to chase the cat and herd him around the house.. there are no cats allowed in her back yard..

When I go for a ride she is at the door with leash in her mouth the minute she hears the car keys rattle.. Is heartbroken when it is to hot for here to be in the car alone this time of year..

But loves to scare folks walking by when she is car sitting in the back seat of the convertible..

great dog but maybe to big unless you have a good-sized yard.. She is great with kids..

http://www.akc.org/breeds/weimaraner/

TD4HOF
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM

This x 80 billion gazillion million. Go rescue a dog from a shelter. They will never forget it.

lonestar
07-27-2012, 06:11 PM
My son has a true cockpoo

bred as a mix between cocker (which I can't stand) and Poodle (which I dislike even more).

She is one of the smartest dogs I have seen.. and has medium length white and apricot colored hair.. but does not shed a bit.. my wife wear a dark uniform and plays with the pup ( I call most dogs Pups) all the time and not a single hair on it..

Expensive as the get out because yo have to go to certain breeders this one came from ohio IIRC has traveled with him a lot and jumps into the traveling bag even though it is a bit snug for her now that she is full-grown.. has a relatively high motor, but when she sleeps she is out like a light..

Can jump almost like a cat.. Damnedest thing I have seen..

sisterhellfyre
07-27-2012, 08:29 PM

You might consider some kind of corgi hybrid. If you're looking at huskies, tho, a Corgi hybrid might be too small for you. We have a corgi/chihuahua mix, and he weighs 18 pounds exactly. He has a mix of the physical attributes of both breeds, but his personality is mostly corgi: very smart, playful, energetic, not destructive, completely house-trained. He lets us know when he needs to go outside to take care of business. Jack is also good with our three cats (age 2, 6 and 11). The oldest cat wants nothing to do with THAT THING. He tries to herd the middle cat, which is funny as hell, and the youngest cat plays and wrestles with him every day.

For other under-mid-size-but-not-small dogs, I've also recently seen corgi-dachshunds. corgles (corgi-beagles), and puggles (pug-beagles). Beagle and corgi just seem to be popular hybrid material right now. I'm guessing that's to mellow out some of the genetic defects bred into too freakin' many dogs. That's tragic, but the subject for a whole other discussion.

Pony Boy
07-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Dogs name is Pecker......

Doggcow
07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Look into Shiba Inus if that's the size you like as well. They're a little smaller.

Pros: Clean, Small, Smart, Cute, Genuinely "good" although mischievous, Quiet.
Cons: Stubborn, Listen GREAT (but don't care a lot of the time), Not an Off-Lead breed, a tendency to be dog aggressive.

Popps
07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
this

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/319027_248274938542169_880808030_n.jpg

Our first Boxer "Tyson"

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/480412_414300958606232_226348682_n.jpg

Our new puppy "Lennox"

Bingo. Best dogs of any size.

Rohirrim
07-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I thought boxers had a reputation for being gassy?

DenverBroncosJM
07-28-2012, 10:11 AM
What they're saying above is true. They are also master escape artists and will need some form of electric fencing (or fencing they can't dig under or jump over) to keep them confined. All in all there are a ton of breeds that are better suited to living in a home. As a vet I've seen a few well-behaved huskies, but far more that are extremely stubborn and just tend to make trouble.

I'd recommend a border collie as a somewhat similar alternative, if you can handle a high energy dog. Much easier to train, less destructive and just generally less hassle as they seem to accept their role more easily than huskies do. Just make sure you spend the time to train them and give them adequate exercise (as should be the case with any dog).

My dad bought me a border collie when I was 4 best damn dog I have ever had. If/when I have children I will buy a border collie again. Smart, protective, they want to please the owner, great dog

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I thought boxers had a reputation for being gassy?

They do. Which is another plus IMO. The more things a guy like TJ can blame it on, the better.

milehighJC
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
In with a couple of opinions:

For Husky - +1 on the comment of get two if you are getting one. My neighbor recently adopted 2 3 year old Huskies from the rescue (foster home). Both are fantastic dogs, VERY intelligent, and they keep each other entertained, and are actually pretty mellow most of the day. To his credit, he takes them to the dog park every day, and they run their brains out there. Running is in the blood tho - I had a Husky/yellow lab/golden retrieve mutt for over 16 years. She was stunningly beautiful, and until her last days she loved to play "tag". When the door would open, she would go out into the cul-de-sac, sit down, and wait for me. When I got about 6' away, she would take off and run away 100 yards, and repeat. At first it ticked me off, but now I look back on that game and smile.

RE: shelters - I'm a BIG fan. We have a 14 year old border collie/chocolate lab cross that we got in Longmont, she was a two time loser at the pound, but with some focused training she has been a delight for over 10 years now. She is a "fetch" dog - she would chase a tennis ball until she dropped dead if you would let her. Brings the ball back and drops it at my feet every time, lays down and waits for you to throw it again. She is so old now that we are down to her playing "hockey goalie" where I roll the ball at her, and she rolls it back.

We now have a Black Lab crossed with something BIG that we also got at the Longmont shelter. She was 10 weeks old when we got her, and is now 6 years old. She is just a 96 lb lap dog, and the most people oriented dog we have ever hard. Probably bigger than you are looking for, and bigger than I was hoping for when we got her, but she is worth it.

just my .02...

GreasyQtip
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
High Kill Pound Dog FTW
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/578174_836790213851_1559749748_n.jpg

Thought he was a pit bull for a while, DNA tests conclude Mostly Boxer/German Shepard with a smidge of ****.er Spaniel

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/551012_865503307581_764192099_n.jpg

I suggest spending your time reading around, I finally found the perfect dog, doesn't bark, great off leash, loves going everywhere, and doesn't mind several kids poking him in the face constantly

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/77192_461105485027_6276442_n.jpg

People always feel the need to buy a puppy, I highly don't reccomend it if you want to know what you will get, get a 2-3 year old dog and you will know if it barks and likes kids etc.

I worked at a Zoo as a wild animal trainer and even the people there raised crazy dogs because it is overwhelming if you aren't very into it. That is why there are 100s of stupid dogs barking constantly and pull leashes etc.

lonestar
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM

I agree have had several dogs cats I got from shelters, One died a few months after we got it for my daughter for Christmas spent 700 on the last vet bill..

another cat we got has feline aids.. which means no other cat can get into contact with him.. a good cat but have spent loads to keep him well also both were christmas gifts the latter for my wife..

The last was a God only knows what kind of dog it is I think a terrier which if this dog is an indication is where they get the name terrorist from.. She has the body of a dachshund and the hairdo of phyliss diller.. ugliest looking dog I have ever seen.. got this one for my Mother in Law should have known it would be a dud..

has been in 5-6 fights with the Wiemy and got her ass kicked each time 8 pounds vs 80, digs and barks at anything and everything.. She had been abused that is for sure and goes through the trash every night we do not take it out.. loves to litter box dive..

Never again will I get another animal there.. Will go to an AKC registered breeder look at the facilities and then pick out a pup.. WIll not go to a store and get one.. and I will support the shelters with donations just not taking another problem child..

GreasyQtip
07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree have had several dogs cats I got from shelters, One died a few months after we got it for my daughter for Christmas spent 700 on the last vet bill..

another cat we got has feline aids.. which means no other cat can get into contact with him.. a good cat but have spent loads to keep him well also both were christmas gifts the latter for my wife..

The last was a God only knows what kind of dog it is I think a terrier which if this dog is an indication is where they get the name terrorist from.. She has the body of a dachshund and the hairdo of phyliss diller.. ugliest looking dog I have ever seen.. got this one for my Mother in Law should have known it would be a dud..

has been in 5-6 fights with the Wiemy and got her ass kicked each time 8 pounds vs 80, digs and barks at anything and everything.. She had been abused that is for sure and goes through the trash every night we do not take it out.. loves to litter box dive..

Never again will I get another animal there.. Will go to an AKC registered breeder look at the facilities and then pick out a pup.. WIll not go to a store and get one.. and I will support the shelters with donations just not taking another problem child..

I don't care if it is Broncos threads, Religion and Politics, or friggin Dogs I could not disagree with you more- see above ^

lonestar
07-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't care if it is Broncos threads, Religion and Politics, or friggin Dogs I could not disagree with you more- see above ^

Maybe it is just where I live I tried the shelter thingy a couple of times, just won;t do it again..

I'd rather spend the money up front in going to a reputable breeder than spend thousands on sick or unmanageable pets..

I do have another out that being the Army base, many families moving can't take their pets along and for the most part have given them good homes and are up front with you about any issues the animal might have..

they are looking at giving them a good home to go to.. opposed to taking them to the pound or humane society..

I just have not had good luck at all with those places.. Some folks have, I am happy for them and applaud them for giving a dog a good home....

cutthemdown
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM

Yep I saw stories like these all the time and I only helped out at the shelter for school credit. Was only there about 3 months. People would bring pets back alot but yes people also got great dogs and cats. But IMO it is a risky move because like you said sometimes you get a vet nightmare or an abused animal. Not saying its not noble to try and save an abused animal, but life is sort of hard enough already.

lonestar
07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Yep I saw stories like these all the time and I only helped out at the shelter for school credit. Was only there about 3 months. People would bring pets back alot but yes people also got great dogs and cats. But IMO it is a risky move because like you said sometimes you get a vet nightmare or an abused animal. Not saying its not noble to try and save an abused animal, but life is sort of hard enough already.

My little terrier is or was abused or a feral dog not sure what, as we got it from the Humane Society who got her from the pound on execution day..

Can be sweet at times but training her is tough because we have an 80+ year old Alzheimer patient that is totally inconsistent with commands..

SO part of it is the mother in laws problem, Part is the dog being abused or feral..
I'm making some head way every day, but have very long way yo go.. If I knew then what I know now would have never taken this dog..

strafen
07-28-2012, 10:30 PM
The Siberian Husky is a great dog. I'm not sure I would one myself, that said one of my best friends and his family have owned one, for what I feel is like at least more than 10 years. Nice fur always looks great, they're a bit hyper.

If you really want one, check with local obedience schools around and ask them questions about their experience training Siberian Huskies

My favorite dog is the German Shepherds. Hands down.
Their loyalty is unsurpassed. We're thinking about getting one for a new house and its big patio...
This will be my second German Shepherd I'd have owned...
They're excellent when professional trained to suit your style and your surroundings.

If you want to "rescue" a puppy, try a Labrador Retriever or a Golden Retriever

Again, investing on an obedience school, would be a huge plus.
They offer all kinds of training you'd want

ZONA
07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I've had many dogs and loved them all but the one by far that was the easiest to own was by Queensland Heeler (also known as Austrailian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler). As with ANY dog, they need their daily exercise but I liked mine alot because I could take him out in the woods and not worry about him AT ALL. He did happen to get into a few fights but made quick work of a German Sheppard and a rhodesian ridgeback. But it was fine because he didn't just keep going at them like a Pittbull or something. He forced them down and soon they showed their belly's and it was done. No injuries to either dog. They are good escape artists so watch that. They can jump higher then you would think. Once I finally made my chain link fence 8 feet high and he couldn't jump over it. So he decided to grab the chain link with his teeth and pull the fence away from the poll until there was enough slack where he could slip under it. Clever sucker he was. I bobbed his tail, he looked very cool. Great with kids. They obey great.

http://photographicdictionary.com/sites/photographicdictionary.com/files/photos/b/blueheeler.jpg

cutthemdown
07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I've had many dogs and loved them all but the one by far that was the easiest to own was by Queensland Heeler (also known as Austrailian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler). As with ANY dog, they need their daily exercise but I liked mine alot because I could take him out in the woods and not worry about him AT ALL. He did happen to get into a few fights but made quick work of a German Sheppard and a rhodesian ridgeback. But it was fine because he didn't just keep going at them like a Pittbull or something. He forced them down and soon they showed their belly's and it was done. No injuries to either dog. They are good escape artists so watch that. They can jump higher then you would think. Once I finally made my chain link fence 8 feet high and he couldn't jump over it. So he decided to grab the chain link with his teeth and pull the fence away from the poll until there was enough slack where he could slip under it. Clever sucker he was. I bobbed his tail, he looked very cool. Great with kids. They obey great.

http://photographicdictionary.com/sites/photographicdictionary.com/files/photos/b/blueheeler.jpg

Australian cattle dogs are great animals.

Stuck in Cali
07-29-2012, 12:35 AM
The dog your looking at from the experiences I have had with the breed have been great. I have not owned one cause of the climate I live in, but a few friends I have had them and they were great, albeit they were lap dogs, kept mostly in air conditioned environments.

Personally I really love the Miniature Schnauzer and Boxer breeds.