PDA

View Full Version : Manning wants training camp in Greely again

Kaylore
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Peyton Manning sets example for Broncos as a happy training camper

If he had his way, Peyton Manning would take the tedium, isolation and discomfort of his first Broncos training camp and make it more tedious, more isolated and even more uncomfortable. He would grab that three-week period of sweat, drudgery and fatigue and extend it further than the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement will allow.

He would exchange the convenience of Broncos headquarters at Dove Valley for what farmers would call the fresh-air smell of Greeley, or the broiling temperatures of Pueblo. Anywhere this world of good and evil, joy and sadness, could be reduced to football, football and football.

Read more: Peyton Manning sets example for Broncos as a happy training camper - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21129714/peyton-manning-sets-example-broncos-happy-training-camper#ixzz21T3wHn9b

Kaylore
07-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Right now Broncos camp is only five minutes away for me. I barely have time to go as is. If it were at a college campus, I wouldn't be able to attend. Though I would sacrifice that if it made the team noticeably better, I guess.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
whatever makes the team better...

underrated29
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
That would suck if they moved it man. I love going to tc and I would never go if it is up in greeley.

I plan to make it to a ton of them this year.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Doesnt Greeley smell bad or something?

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Doesnt Greeley smell bad or something?

yep, it's due to the Monfort meat packing facility there where they bring in thousands of cattle to slaughter and process. Those cattle crap and pee a lot before heading into their final destination, hence, it stinks.

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
"I do," he said. "I wish we went away. I know we stay there at the (team) facility and we stay (nearby) at a hotel. I've heard Coach (John) Fox and John Elway talk about potentially (moving away) again. I think there's something about going to a different site and just homing in on football. It's not as long as it used to be, but there's definitely some team bonding that occurs that I think can win a game for you down the line. Having breakfast with a guy, watching some film in the room with a guy; I think it helps."

Read more: Peyton Manning sets example for Broncos as a happy training camper - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21129714/peyton-manning-sets-example-broncos-happy-training-camper#ixzz21TCe5Qza
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

LonghornBronco
07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I like the idea. Remember going away for camps as a youngster and the tremendous bonding that happens when you are isolated like that.

LonghornBronco
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Hope they change to Austin, TX :thumbs:

Cmac821
07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Just bring them to Fort Collins instead of greely

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
they should rotate...CU, CSU, AFA etc....

OBF1
07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I agree with one of the other posters... Whatever makes this team better. How many playoff games has Denver won since training camp was moved to Dove Valley?

pricejj
07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I agree with one of the other posters... Whatever makes this team better. How many playoff games has Denver won since training camp was moved to Dove Valley?

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with Peyton Manning's take....I think training camp should be held away from team headquarters and everything else.

Limits distractions and builds team unity and cohesiveness.

baja
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
It should be in a place that reflects the climate conditions of the first game of the season. Tired of losing those opening games to South Florida teams due to heat exhaustion.

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
It should be in a place that reflects the climate conditions of the first game of the season. Tired of losing those opening games to South Florida teams due to heat exhaustion.

90 days should about do it......but this year we get to open at home (**** THE SKINS GAME/CBS)

Bacchus
07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Manning must really hate his wife! LOL

RhymesayersDU
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Oh good, we're back to normal.

Rohirrim
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I remember going up to Greeley. It was pretty hot and stanky.

ludo21
07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
how old are these guys and how much are they getting paid that they cant focus on their jobs??

keef
07-23-2012, 04:53 PM

I second that motion!!

broncosteven
07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
how old are these guys and how much are they getting paid that they cant focus on their jobs??

Yep

Personally I think it might be good for them to report year round.

baja
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I think we should lock them in nice hotel rooms and only let them out for games and practice.

oubronco
07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Tulsa Oklahoma for the win :strong:

Mogulseeker
07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
They should do it in the mountains - elevation and cooler weather.

Ziggy
07-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I used to go up to Greeley every year for TC. It was hotter than heck and smelled bad, but that just made the whole experience that much more memorable. The seating up there wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. The closest you could sit for the average practice was about 30 yards away. In Dove valley you get to sit right next to the field.

It was a different experience altogether up there for the players as well. They stayed in the dorms, (rather than the nice push hotel rooms that they stay in now). The teams seemed to have more chemistry back then, but that was a different era as well. That was back when they ran two a days in full pads and practices were all full contact. I miss those days.

broncosteven
07-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Everyone should do it in the mountains

Mogulseeker
07-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Everyone should do it in the mountains

Except for the goat man. That's just weird.

spdirty
07-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Yeah. Do it in Bailey. That'd be freakin awesome.

Mogulseeker
07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah. Do it in Bailey. That'd be freakin awesome.

Further up. Like Fraser.

baja
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
How about Cabo we got the heat and accommodations

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
they should rotate...CU, CSU, AFA etc....

the team would have a lot of privacy at the AFA. However, does the AFA allow outsiders to come and stay? I doubt that very much.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Manning and Eli in a new shoe commercial. He better get used to the thin air cause Eli and him were suckin up air.

broncofan4life
07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
been to Greely once i liked it i would go again

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
the team would have a lot of privacy at the AFA. However, does the AFA allow outsiders to come and stay? I doubt that very much.

yes....how do you think we get on base to watch all the AFA athletics?

you just need to show your drivers license and stay out of designated areas.

Tombstone RJ
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
yes....how do you think we get on base to watch all the AFA athletics?

you just need to show your drivers license and stay out of designated areas.

Hmmm, I didn't think they let outsiders stay on campus (sleep in the dorms, staying an extended amount of time) due to security issues. I wonder if the AFA would allow the Broncos to use their facilities and also allow for the circus that follows too (media, fans, etc.)? It sure would be a beautiful place to have training camp.

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Hmmm, I didn't think they let outsiders stay on campus (sleep in the dorms, staying an extended amount of time) due to security issues. I wonder if the AFA would allow the Broncos to use their facilities and also allow for the circus that follows too (media, fans, etc.)? It sure would be a beautiful place to have training camp.

You just have to have a sponser and sign a waiver. There is a Boy Scout campground on base that and any BSA troop or pack can use.

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM
also, there are public schools on base and they still host events. The Cadet areas have extra security check points.

Broncofan_H
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
I went to training camp quite a bit in the late 80's/early 90's with my dad up in Greeley. I later went in the late 90's because I lived in Greeley. The smell was awful.

I now work in Greeley at UNC and I can tell you that the smell situation is MUCH improved. Every once in a while there is something in the air, but it has gotten much better. Whereas before you kind of got used to it, it is so infrequent now that you do notice the smell. It also doesn't smell as bad when there is something in the air. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm thankful for it.

UNC has also made many improvements to their athletic facilities and fields since the Broncos last held camp here.

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
if you go, keep the wife and kids at home.....it's pretty boring if you're not a diehard

Requiem
07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Further up. Like Fraser.

Yeah! Do it over by those baseball fields on the way into town by the train tracks. The view going into Fraser/WP from Tabernash every day was awesome. :D

Make them do a run from the Winter Park Resort all the way to Tabernash or Granby. :)

I've walked from WP to Fraser, through the flats to Tabernash and to County Road 86 (where I got off to go to my house) and man that takes a long time.

Hamrob
07-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I used to live a block away from training camp in Greeley. I friend of mine's dad was the coach of UNC's football team at the time, so he got to be a ball boy each summer.

I used spend every day there. I'd bring a stack a cards and have them signed by the players...then, I'd sell them at a coin store in downtown Greeley for good money.

I remember handing Elway a stack back behind Butler Hancock and he asked me what I did with all those cards he kept signing. I said I sell them....he liked that. He laughed. I remember he gave me a ride once on his golf cart from the back of butler hancock to the dorms where they stayed. It was pretty cool!

I remember having so many opportunities to talk to the players in Greeley after they showered and were heading back to the dorms. One year the Saints practiced there with the Broncos, and I got to visit with Earl Campbell...man was he short.

Those were great days! Greeley is the perfect place for the Broncos and training camp...I hope they get it back!

Cosmo
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I live in Greeley now, have for the past 3 years. In that time there has never been a constant smell, its very periodic and only for a few hours to half a day. I'd say once every 2 weeks at the most now. Not sure how it was before, but for the last 3 years it has been minimal.

montrose
07-24-2012, 08:40 PM
While this may seem odd considering a 37-year old, premier FA is the one who started the idea; it's my understanding that not going away for camp has been a selling point for the Broncos with some older free agents.

That said, despite the inconveinence it would cause to some- I always liked the idea of going to a smaller, local community for camp and kind of wished the Broncos would do so again.

baja
07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I bet Elway is for it.

24champ
07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
I bet Elway is for it.

Read post #7.

NFLBRONCO
07-24-2012, 10:34 PM
if you go, keep the wife and kids at home.....it's pretty boring if you're not a diehard

I'm a diehard I thought it was boring honestly. Watching Elway hand off over and over got old fast. I agree I think it should go back to Greeley.

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm a diehard I thought it was boring honestly. Watching Elway hand off over and over got old fast. I agree I think it should go back to Greeley.

yeah...football practice sucks at any level LOL

Jetmeck
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Yep

Personally I think it might be good for them to report year round.

Some of them need a parole type officer to watch over them before they actually need a real parole officer..............

24champ
07-25-2012, 12:50 AM

Especially the babies/ little kids...