PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leonhard, New York Jets will go separate ways. Should we sign him? Yes or No.

Bronco Rob
07-19-2012, 06:40 AM
The New York Jets have decided not to re-sign free-agent safety Jim Leonhard, the New York Post reported on Wednesday, citing a source.

Leonhard was a key member of coach Rex Ryan's defense, but he suffered a torn patellar tendon in his right knee in December, which prematurely ended his season in the final year of his contract.

The Jets signed veteran free-agent safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell this offseason.

Leonhard, 29, has also played for the Buffalo Bills and the Baltimore Ravens.

"I'm a free agent right now, hopefully in the next few weeks I get some workouts and get a contract," he told WEAU-TV. "The knee is feeling great and I am ready to go. I am getting antsy, football is right around the corner and I donít have a team, kind of getting antsy ready to get back on that field."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82aa8189/article/jim-leonhard-new-york-jets-will-go-separate-ways-report-says

Rumor has it that we were trying to get him a couple of years ago. He did a great job quarterbacking that team's defense. Notice how much of a drop they've taken since he's been injured.

:thumbs:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't mind, at least for the depth. He'd be a solid signing, depending on the cap number.

Bigdawg26
07-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Unless he bulks up and plays DT. I'm good!

ludo21
07-19-2012, 07:05 AM
vet safety would be nice to have

spdirty
07-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Absolutely, I definitely don't trust Moore, and both our 2nd year safeties could learn behind a solid vet like Leonhard.

Requiem
07-19-2012, 07:13 AM
We already signed Mike Adams. No.

cmhargrove
07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
I really think we need to address needs first. DT and possibly WLB seem to need more attention on the defense. I mean, even signing another "cagey vet" receiver (like Plaxico) might even be a better idea than going after a ripped up, aging safety at this point.

Kaylore
07-19-2012, 07:53 AM
It would depend on how much. I kind of think he could be another Adam Archuleta where someone will throw a crap-ton of money at him and then he'll suck.

rugbythug
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
It would depend on how much. I kind of think he could be another Adam Archuleta where someone will throw a crap-ton of money at him and then he'll suck.

Wrong time of year for that. Although he is white.

ward63
07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
I want a player that can be relied on for 16 games and I like Adams with the two sophomores.

ppablo
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM

WolfpackGuy
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Good lord, no.

illbroncsfn
07-19-2012, 09:02 AM
scrappy, heady player- at max 1 yr vet deal w/incentives....

gunns
07-19-2012, 09:19 AM

This. Safety, next to DT, has been to most neglected position for the past 12 years and we still aren't sure we have it right. Having a vet, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, would be nice.

socalorado
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
No. Hes old, and injured.
Mike Adams was signed as the new FS and rightly so.
Hes light years ahead of jim.

FS Adams
SS Carter

Kaylore
07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Wrong time of year for that. Although he is white.

He reminds me of Ed McCaffrey.

Captain 'Dre
07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Absolutely, I definitely don't trust Moore, and both our 2nd year safeties could learn behind a solid vet like Leonhard.

Agreed. No evidence that Rahim Moore is "the answer".

I like the idea of Leonhard wearing orange.

Bigdawg26
07-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm really hoping for a big year from Rahim. He was pretty good before he lost his confidence. I would love to see Rahim at FS and Carter at SS as the starters.

DivineLegion
07-19-2012, 09:52 AM
We could bring him in as a nickle corner when we play teams like the Patriots (ie. The way we used Sam Brandon).

spdirty
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm really hoping for a big year from Rahim. He was pretty good before he lost his confidence. I would love to see Rahim at FS and Carter at SS as the starters.

Me too but Rahim needs to learn how to play safety in the NFL and unlearn missed tackles and the headhunting crap. Till he does that he is not to be trusted.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-19-2012, 10:18 AM

Leaving satisfied

oubronco
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
FS Adams
SS Carter

This

hookemhess
07-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Yeah, he's a real gym rat.

Archer81
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
No. Hes old, and injured.
Mike Adams was signed as the new FS and rightly so.
Hes light years ahead of jim.

FS Adams
SS Carter

29 is old?

:Broncos:

The Joker
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Who's likely to be the 4th safety to make the roster after Moore, Carter and Adams?

If Leonhard is affordable I'd be happy to have him. Let the four of them battle it out in camp and hopefully have reasonable depth at the position.

BroncoBen
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
No.. the Broncos don't need another player coming off a major knee surgery.

baja
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know, does he brandish a gun?

Bronco Rob
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know, does he brandish a gun?

Turd_Ferguson
07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
So sick of hearing about, we need a DT.. Oh well **** lets not sign any more players of any position until a DT magically appears out of thin air. Their first overall pick was a DT and everyone cried about it. **** DT.

Leonard was a big locker room guy for the Jets, and their defense suffered when he was injured. Dawkins is gone and the team needs a vet to step up and quarterback the defense, and Leonard has a reputation of doing just that I hope they sign him.

extralife
07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
This. Safety, next to DT, has been to most neglected position for the past 12 years

except for the five we've drafted in the first three rounds, the two hall of famers we signed, and mike adams this year?

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
They're not gonna add anybody. They have all the guys they want, if they have to move a guy to IR they're gonna move one up from the practice squad. They're not gonna spend any more money. They don't even have Oz and Hillman signed, they're not gonna sign a nobody.

broncosteven
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I think upgrading Safety is a good thing, if he can be had for the right price I would be all for it. Plus there is the chance Adams could get injured so having 2 vets who have proven they can play is nice to have.

Bacchus
07-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Well he needs to bulk up a little and play LBer. I am content with our DL as of now. Lots of depth nothing spectacular.

Bacchus
07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Really, it depends on the coaches confidence with the young guys. We have not seen much from Moore, Bruton and Carter. If the coaches feel they are busts or need more time than they should most definitley go after Leonard, but they only need one of those guys to pan out and have Adams be himself and they will be fine at safety.

With as much young talent back there I say pass on this and lets let the young guys show us what they have.

Broncoman13
07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
This. Safety, next to DT, has been to most neglected position for the past 12 years and we still aren't sure we have it right. Having a vet, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, would be nice.

Really? We have thrown a ton of money and draft picks at safety in the last 12 years. It has been a problem position, but we have thrown a lot of resources at it to try to fix it.

Cmac821
07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I like the way he plays, brings a good workman attitude to the team from what I've seen

broncosteven
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Really, it depends on the coaches confidence with the young guys. We have not seen much from Moore, Bruton and Carter. If the coaches feel they are busts or need more time than they should most definitley go after Leonard, but they only need one of those guys to pan out and have Adams be himself and they will be fine at safety.

With as much young talent back there I say pass on this and lets let the young guys show us what they have.

I agree with this, if the coaches like what they see out of Moore, and Carter then fine but if they aren't and can get Leonhard for the right price I would be happy.

FireFly
07-19-2012, 10:25 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Bring him in I say!

Drek
07-20-2012, 02:53 AM
It was really starting to come together late last year for Carter and he would be driven to the bench by signing a healthy Leonhard. I don't really care for that idea at all. Carter needs to play and continue developing, we have a vet safety next to him already in Mike Adams.

There is a very real chance that Leonhard post-knee injury is an inferior player to Carter with a real off-season of coaching to prepare him for year 2. Why spend money on what might not even be an upgrade?

Mediator12
07-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Leonard is a multi-dimensional player, when healthy. I would be shocked if INDY or BAL would not look to sign him as they both play the same scheme as the Jets and ED "I should have been drafted over Ashley Lelie" Reed is waffling over retiring and his current contract.

Both teams have Major safety issues and could use a player like Leonard who can play more than one role in the secondary. Indy signed Zbikowski, but he has never played at the level Leonard has in that defense.

I like Leonard, the question is he an upgrade over our current safety positions? He would be, but why would he come to DEN and play in this defense when he would have strong suitors closer to home and that play his best system? I do not see it happening, even though I would be all for it. Guy has the mental game for a TOP Safety at both positions and is a stud in the nickle.

cutthemdown
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM

It would be stupid for the Broncos to pass on a player who can make them better just because they aren't a DT. DT not even thin anyways unless we have 2 starters get injured again.

Tombstone RJ
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Leonard is a multi-dimensional player, when healthy. I would be shocked if INDY or BAL would not look to sign him as they both play the same scheme as the Jets and ED "I should have been drafted over Ashley Lelie" Reed is waffling over retiring and his current contract.

Both teams have Major safety issues and could use a player like Leonard who can play more than one role in the secondary. Indy signed Zbikowski, but he has never played at the level Leonard has in that defense.

I like Leonard, the question is he an upgrade over our current safety positions? He would be, but why would he come to DEN and play in this defense when he would have strong suitors closer to home and that play his best system? I do not see it happening, even though I would be all for it. Guy has the mental game for a TOP Safety at both positions and is a stud in the nickle.

more money, that's why. I doubt Elway pays him that kind of money. I really want to see Moore develop, Elway probably does too.

DENVERDUI55
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
We don't need Leonhard because we got Adams!

Bronco Rob
08-03-2012, 07:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/46359/report-broncos-interested-in-jim-leonhard

:sunshine:

LongDongJohnson
08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Did we fill our quota for white DBs yet?

Bacchus
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
So sick of hearing about, we need a DT.. Oh well **** lets not sign any more players of any position until a DT magically appears out of thin air. Their first overall pick was a DT and everyone cried about it. **** DT.

Leonard was a big locker room guy for the Jets, and their defense suffered when he was injured. Dawkins is gone and the team needs a vet to step up and quarterback the defense, and Leonard has a reputation of doing just that I hope they sign him.

You got Ty Warren at one DT and Bannan/Vickerson at the other and a rookie #2 round pick.

Denver is in much better shape at DT than they are at LBer.

houghtam
08-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't seem to recall the Jets playing any better or worse in the 3 games Leonhard missed last year. Nor do the stats bear it out in the two games where their offense actually did anything.

Loenhard's a bum. He won't help this team, and that's saying something.

UberBroncoMan
08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
We need to see if our rookies in Carter and Moore can fly. Also people seem to forget we signed a prized UDFA in Duke Ihenacho. He could make PS and he could get nabbed if we try to put him there. I'm just sick and tired of bringing in old safety's as stop-gaps. When we have young blood that needs experience and to make it or break it.

DBroncos4life
08-04-2012, 08:26 AM
We need to see if our rookies in Carter and Moore can fly. Also people seem to forget we signed a prized UDFA in Duke Ihenacho. He could make PS and he could get nabbed if we try to put him there. I'm just sick and tired of bringing in old safety's as stop-gaps. When we have young blood that needs experience and to make it or break it.

Wouldn't it be cool if safety's played well past the age of 29 like Jim is?

DenverBrit
08-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Bring him in!

Broncos safety Carter to miss preseason games

Quinton Carter will miss at least the first two preseason games after the second-year safety underwent arthroscopic knee surgery this week.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21232019/broncos-safety-carter-miss-preseason-games

Bronco Rob
08-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes - 20

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bMA84wqZLWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>