PDA

View Full Version : OT: Driving through Denver

maher_tyler
07-19-2012, 01:09 AM
When are the best times to avoid rush hour/heavy traffic? I'll be passing through on my way to the Dakotas next week Thursday. Seems like every time i make the trip the traffic is terrible going through there. Coming to complete stand still on the freeway. Any advice is appreciated.

Bacchus
07-19-2012, 01:15 AM
When are the best times to avoid rush hour/heavy traffic? I'll be passing through on my way to the Dakotas next week Thursday. Seems like every time i make the trip the traffic is terrible going through there. Coming to complete stand still on the freeway. Any advice is appreciated.

4:30 p.m. on a Friday is usually the best time to go through Denver.

Meck77
07-19-2012, 05:23 AM
When are the best times to avoid rush hour/heavy traffic?.

That would be rush hour. :)

Assuming you are coming up from the 25 south from Tucson just hop on 470 and take her all the way to the 76. You'll have to pay tolls but won't hit any real traffic.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Assuming you are coming up from the 25 south from Tucson just hop on 470 and take her all the way to the 76. You'll have to pay tolls but won't hit any real traffic.

THIS.

If you want to take I-25 (for whatever reason, skyline, landmarks, Sports Authority Field -- which is getting new signage, by the way), do it early (before 7 am), mid-afternoon (1:30-3pm) or late (7pm or after), and you should be in pretty good shape.

Definitely avoid I-25 north of the city at rush hour or even an hour after rush hour. That's a ****in' mess.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Name any major city and it's the same......9PM-4AM (unless there's a major sporting event or concert at any major venue near a highway). Simple logic.

bfoflcommish
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
denver traffic sucks now. unless its pre 7a or post 7p you will be in traffic on i25

crush17
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
denver traffic sucks now. unless its pre 7a or post 7p you will be in traffic on i25

Exactly. Even on weekends.

maher_tyler
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks..prolly just try to get through before 7...as long as traffic doesn't come to a stand still I'm fine...

broncosteven
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
I have seen Denver rush hours and they are nothing compared to Chicago or LA, I would guess NY also but never been there.

Just be patient and let people merge and you will be through it in now time.

Try taking the Kennedy or Eisenhower into the City from anything west of 355 from 6:30-9:30 am or 2:30-7:30pm and you will know pure pain.

maher_tyler
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I have seen Denver rush hours and they are nothing compared to Chicago or LA, I would guess NY also but never been there.

Just be patient and let people merge and you will be through it in now time.

Try taking the Kennedy or Eisenhower into the City from anything west of 355 from 6:30-9:30 am or 2:30-7:30pm and you will know pure pain.

I looked up some reviews on Yelp of that toll road and it does not have very good reviews. Looks like i'll be paying around $20 one way. How bad is the traffic between 6-7 on I-25?

broncosteven
07-19-2012, 07:27 PM
I looked up some reviews on Yelp of that toll road and it does not have very good reviews. Looks like i'll be paying around $20 one way. How bad is the traffic between 6-7 on I-25?

I don't live in Denver but my experience when in town is that it is usually breaks up after 6pm, closer to 7 and it is nothing for anyone used to city driving. Always depends on breakdowns or accidents but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be ready for it and hope for the best.

Vegas_Bronco
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Just put on some old tags as you drive the toll road...change a number ot two...its the countryside.

maher_tyler
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Just put on some old tags as you drive the toll road...change a number ot two...its the countryside.

Great idea...prolly going to suck it up and deal with the traffic unfortunately. Hope its not to bad between 6-7am...maybe earlier. Looks like we'll be stopping for the night in Colorado Springs.

SouthStndJunkie
07-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Suck it up and trudge through it and you'll be fine.

No sense worrying about it.

eff1ngham
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Watch out if you plan to do it at night since they're closing I-25 in certain parts for construction (and that gets backed up crazy fast). IMO I'd drive it at lunch, I-25 gets back up going north to Ft Collins since it goes from 5 lanes to 2 pretty quick. But at lunch time once you get past the tech center and lodo you shouldn't see any other traffic

maher_tyler
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Watch out if you plan to do it at night since they're closing I-25 in certain parts for construction (and that gets backed up crazy fast). IMO I'd drive it at lunch, I-25 gets back up going north to Ft Collins since it goes from 5 lanes to 2 pretty quick. But at lunch time once you get past the tech center and lodo you shouldn't see any other traffic

For sure it'll be in the morning before 7...i'll wake up at 5 if thats what it takes to miss the traffic..at least most of it. I see there is a HOV lane/toll road on I-25...is the toll open in the morning? Seems on the website for it, it opens up at noon??