PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 London Olympics Thread

brncs_fan
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Still 9 days out...but what the hell else do we have to talk about?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/galleries/2012/07/15/12-breakout-olympics-stars-lolo-jones-ryan-lochte-and-more-photos.html

http://www.teamusa.org/

Special shout out to a local kid who made his dream come true: http://lancebrooksolympics.com

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Ginobili!

brncs_fan
07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Apparently Dueling was one an Olympic sport:

The Wild West may have made the confrontations famous, but pistol dueling made an appearance at the Olympics, during the unofficial 1906 Intercalated Games held in Athens. Confusingly, the event consisted of no actual dueling as individuals merely shot at plaster dummies dressed in frock coats from a distance of 20 or 30 meters. It may sound bizarre, but an Australian poll held before Sydney 2000 found that 32% wanted to see the sport revived at the Summer Game

Read more: http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/16/really-strange-sports-that-are-longer-in-the-olympics/?iid=op-article-mostpop1#dueling-pistols#ixzz211qgrMXG

broncos-rock
07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
We have a ton of colorado athletes competing with many being favored to medal! I will be paying close attention to the swimming with Missy Franklin competing. I have watched her for years at swim meets with my kids. Should be fun!

brncs_fan
07-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Bump for the opening ceremonies.

eddie mac
07-27-2012, 08:06 PM
27m that opening ceremony cost. That's like a half of the Broncos yearly payroll.

loborugger
07-27-2012, 08:15 PM
My friends and I were sitting around talking and we came up with basic rule of thumb.

The people who think the Olympics rock are not "sports fans", while sports fans could largely care less about the Olympics. I know the only real part of the Olympics I watch is the ice hockey in the winter games.

RhymesayersDU
07-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I think I understand what you're getting at, but there are more sports in this world besides NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB.

I think if you watch any of the Olympics, you're at least a fan of some type of sport. Unless you just watch the opening and closing ceremonies for the pageantry, etc.

gunns
07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't know that you have to be a fan of a sport. I think people enjoy it because of the competition, rooting for USA. The one time nations, many that do not get along with others, come together and show how hard they have worked to try and win a medal. Go USA!

Doggcow
07-27-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't know that you have to be a fan of a sport. I think people enjoy it because of the competition, rooting for USA. The one time nations, many that do not get along with others, come together and show how hard they have worked to try and win a medal. Go USA!

Even more so, it passes the offseason.

Bacchus
07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Did we win?

baja
07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I like the emotion of the Olympic Games.

baja
07-27-2012, 08:46 PM
The lighting of the Torch was impressive.

baja
07-27-2012, 08:57 PM
God I am almost embarrassed for Paul McCartney.

What is it about dragging out old artists from the sixties... Hasn't there been anyone with talent in the last three generations.

Bacchus
07-27-2012, 08:58 PM

What is it about dragging out old artists from the sixties... Hasn't there been anyone with talent in the last three generations.

They tried to get Ringo, but he wasn't up to it.

Cmac821
07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I enjoy the Olympics because the athletes compete at the highest level. It's cool to see the worlds greatest athletes compete

baja
07-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I enjoy the Olympics because the athletes compete at the highest level. It's cool to see the worlds greatest athletes compete

agree

gunns
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
The lighting of the Olympic cauldron was pretty cool.

Cmac821
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
I end up watching things like swimming and gymnastics when any other day I'd probably laugh if I saw it on

gunns
07-27-2012, 09:50 PM

OMG, that was awful!

cutthemdown
07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow those uniforms were really bad for team USA. The preppy beret look? Who in the USA feels beret says usa? lol.

Bacchus
07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow those uniforms were really bad for team USA. The preppy beret look? Who in the USA feels beret says usa? lol.

They were modeled after the uniforms the USA wore in the last Olympics held in England. They were also made in China.

cutthemdown
07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow there were some real problems with the vocal harmony voicing's. Out of tune or maybe just plain wrong note. Not easy to sing music like that and maybe his band just didn't rehearse it enough?

Many times with these big stars they don't really try that hard to prepare all the time.

Or the band just didn't have the vocal chops period. But I agree not a great performance for Sir Paul.

cutthemdown
07-27-2012, 10:09 PM
They were modeled after the uniforms the USA wore in the last Olympics held in England. They were also made in China.

They seemed dorky to me, like preppy get a turtleneck and call my GF buffy all night. I don't really care where they get made but considering we don't need all that many of them you would think they could do them in America.

BroncoLifer
07-27-2012, 10:10 PM
My God, those whole ceremonies were beyond awful. Nothing gets people fired up for sports like an ode to the national health service. Lol.

Bacchus
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
They seemed dorky to me, like preppy get a turtleneck and call my GF buffy all night. I don't really care where they get made but considering we don't need all that many of them you would think they could do them in America.

The Olympic Committee stated that they do not get any money from the Federal Government like most countries so they have to go with what is most economically feasible so there is more money for the athletes.

Marshall Dumervil
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM
My God, those whole ceremonies were beyond awful. Nothing gets people fired up for sports like an ode to the national health service. Lol.

Seriously, it was awful. The kids on the hospital beds, wtf. And then their hero Sherry Bobbins floats in? I mean, we got Superman, Spiderman, Batman, and you got friggin Sherry Bobbins?

Lame

Chris
07-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I thought the opening ceremony was awesome outside of the weird texting house bit. I felt a good deal of pride for one of the two countries I feel great affinity for (England and the US). They even got born slippy in there.

I thought there was a great sense of humour. It was a very inclusive ceremony (they ended with "This is for everyone"... yes they were talking about the web but really they meant the olympics). I think it was a deliberate counter to the Chinese "We are the best we will destroy you **** you" ceremony of four years ago.

lonestar
07-27-2012, 11:12 PM

the frenchies..

RhymesayersDU
07-28-2012, 12:21 AM

These guys might...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-02957.JPEG/300px-US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-02957.JPEG

cutthemdown
07-28-2012, 12:42 AM
The Olympic Committee stated that they do not get any money from the Federal Government like most countries so they have to go with what is most economically feasible so there is more money for the athletes.

What would you rather have govt spend money on. 500 million for Solyndra or 500 million for our Olympic team? Jesus sell a couple f-16s and buy them some better uniforms! :)

cutthemdown
07-28-2012, 12:45 AM
These guys might...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-02957.JPEG/300px-US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-02957.JPEG

Point taken

Miss I.
07-28-2012, 01:33 AM
I thought the opening ceremony was awesome outside of the weird texting house bit. I felt a good deal of pride for one of the two countries I feel great affinity for (England and the US). They even got born slippy in there.

I thought there was a great sense of humour. It was a very inclusive ceremony (they ended with "This is for everyone"... yes they were talking about the web but really they meant the olympics). I think it was a deliberate counter to the Chinese "We are the best we will destroy you **** you" ceremony of four years ago.

I agree with Chris to a large degree, though the Beijing opening was better I think (though really did those people have a choice, their government would probably kill them if they messed up) . I enjoyed them, though the NHS bit was kind of funny. Living here, though I sort of get the weirdness that is the UK and I even get some of the things they reference which are not that accessible outside of here really. I did actually like parts of the house bit, because it reminds me both of the Jubilee concert and the Scottish Tattoos I've attended (a tattoo is kind of military parade type thing, that's not entirely accurate, but sort of like that). I think live at Olympic stadium it might've been harder to see some of the bits as well as on TV though. As for Sir Paul, well, he did pretty well at the Queens' Jubilee I thought, better than Elton John at any rate, but oh well. It definitely screams Danny Boyle I will say that.

There is an article in the telegraph that explains it fairly well: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012/9434274/London-2012-opening-ceremony-wows-the-world-with-wit-and-drama.html

Now I am going to go watch some stuff live and enjoy my first Olympics since 1996. Evidently I only care when it happens to be in the country I live in. ;D

gunns
07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Phelps barely qualifies in 400M. By .07 seconds to be the 8th competitor.

Rohirrim
07-28-2012, 08:31 AM
What would you rather have govt spend money on. 500 million for Solyndra or 500 million for our Olympic team? Jesus sell a couple f-16s and buy them some better uniforms! :)

Damn! You spew your regurgitated tea party nonsense wherever you go. Even on an Olympics thread. You sound like a political ad.

Anyway, I thought Costas was too smug and negative. The commentary was like sitting next to some sour old drunk at a bar, the TV on mute, and all you could hear was this ****head's depressing comments. He would have gotten along perfectly with the queen. Talk about a sour old puss. She looked as if she found the whole thing annoying.

Other than that, I thought it was great. Leave it to the Brits to build a replica of Hobbiton in the middle of the stadium with its own party tree. ;D The torch lighting was very cool. The fireworks were amazing. I was left feeling sorry for Ali. And McCartney needs to hang it up, or take his show to Vegas and get his own Beatles lounge where he can play endless rehashes of the past until he drops dead. The cute little sidelong eye flutters and pursed lips worked when he was a young Fab. They look a bit odd when you're 70. He could always fill a lounge with old bluehairs willing to na na na na along with him.

I'm looking forward to the high jump, broad jump, pole vault, etc. I've always like those field events.

maven
07-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I've tuned in a little so far.

Quick thoughts:

Boring. It's in London.

Everything is tape delay.

NBC is a snooze bore fest. Another network should broadcast and broadcast it live.

All the chicks look like doods.

Chris
07-28-2012, 12:00 PM
The NBC commentary was an atrocity of smug doucheness.

Hey there's Angola bob! Bon, how do we remember Angola?

Thats right Angola famously known for losing to the US basketball team 110-41.

And now for my own moment of silence in honour of the fallen.... cut to commercial.

Miss I.
07-28-2012, 12:17 PM
The Brits commentary is okay, they are kind of goofy. They also spent some time bagging on the grey USA uniforms worn when accepting the Gold Medals.

canadianbroncosfan
07-28-2012, 04:57 PM
I've tuned in a little so far.

Quick thoughts:

Boring. It's in London.

Everything is tape delay.

NBC is a snooze bore fest. Another network should broadcast and broadcast it live.

All the chicks look like doods.

It's so weird that up here CTV broadcasts events live and like five minutes last the same event will be on NBC. I thought it was just delayed because I only have an NBC affiliate network, but apparently you guys are having the same issues.

DarkHorse30
07-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Damn! You spew your regurgitated tea party nonsense wherever you go.

Tea Party.....cool
Rohirrim.....whiny

KCStud
07-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Ryan Lochte is dominating. Kinda sad to see Phelps not even get a medal.

Chris
07-28-2012, 09:35 PM
One of my former schoolmates and swimming competitors is now world class (and much bigger than me). He was always more talented than me. Came 6th in the 100 free in 2008. Let's see if he can compete this time. He went to Cal but races for Switzerland. Name is Dominic Meichtry.

Kaylore
07-28-2012, 09:50 PM
This is really a poorly produced Olympics by NBC. Ryan Seacrest's segments are un-watchable.

Chris
07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
This is really a poorly produced Olympics by NBC. Ryan Seacrest's segments are un-watchable.

Has Seacream ever done anything watchable? Oh that's right...

http://cdn.theblemish.com/images/2012/02/0226-ryan-seacrest-ashes-02-600x336.jpg

Cmac821
07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
the tape delay is pissing me off

ak1971
07-28-2012, 10:03 PM
O And McCartney needs to hang it up, or take his show to Vegas and get his own Beatles lounge where he can play endless rehashes of the past until he drops dead. The cute little sidelong eye flutters and pursed lips worked when he was a young Fab. They look a bit odd when you're 70. He could always fill a lounge with old bluehairs willing to na na na na along with him.

Exactly...yeah you were good at one point...but hang it up already

BroncsCheer
07-29-2012, 10:18 AM

Sid is dead and Johnny is sleeping it off in LA

BroncsCheer
07-29-2012, 10:22 AM

1. The NHS sponsored the effort
2. They are rubbing it in our faces that they have affordable universal health care

Well played Nigel, well played

Chris
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Sid is dead and Johnny is sleeping it off in LA

That's the 70s but personally I was hoping for Madness or the Happy Mondays to pop up somewhere.

Blur are reuniting for the closing ceremony.

eddie mac
07-29-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

I dunno if this works for you guys but you can watch every single sport on that live.

I haven't been off it since the game started.

Bronco Yoda
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see them replace Dressage (oh Buffy, bring more tea shall we) with Jousting (Beer wench bring more Ale) .

Now that would be entertainment!

Meck77
07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Need some help fellas....

In the woods and my gal is a big gymnastics fan. Need a live stream for the olympics!!

Thanks in advance!

*she said urgent!* lol To put this in perspective it would be like your wife making you camp during a Broncos playoff game away from your tv!

hookemhess
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yyCSX.gif

bronco militia
07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
http://4.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2012/07/no-f-cks-to-give-b5645e3a-sz500x666-animate.jpg

ludo21
07-30-2012, 03:15 PM
tape delay drama

anyone else enjoying these games? Love me some badminton

brncs_fan
07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Get to the Track and Field already!

brncs_fan
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Nice job by the Women's soccer team to close out the group stage with a win. Looking primed for a gold medal!

Miss I.
07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice job by the Women's soccer team to close out the group stage with a win. Looking primed for a gold medal!

agreed. I am really hoping so because aside from the American Pride thing, I have tickets to that final game and it would rock if the team I went to go see at Wembley actually won the game there.

Our gymnasts also kicked a little ass too! Go USA!

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
LONDON -- Michael Phelps broke the Olympic medals record Tuesday with his 19th as the United States romped to a dominating win in 4x200-meter freestyle relay at the London Games.

With 19 career medals spanning three Olympics, Phelps moved one ahead of Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina, who got her haul in 1956, 1960 and 1964. And he finally got his first gold of these games, bouncing back from the disappointment of settling for silver when he glided at the end of the 200 butterfly earlier Tuesday.

The United States team of Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Ricky Berens and Phelps on the anchor leg won in 6 minutes, 59.70 seconds. France took the silver in 7:02.77, while China was third in 7:06.30.

Phelps now has 15 golds, two silvers and two bronzes.

Taco John
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
I love this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/pIKE2.jpg

Dutch
07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Get to the Track and Field already!

Kind of related, but I had to crack-up when I heard the "Two Live Stu's" on Atlanta sports radio complaining that China was leading the US in overall and Gold medal count. Then their assistant chimed in and asked how they thought China would do in the track and field events, and suddenly things weren't really worth getting all uptight over.

Dutch
07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
agreed. I am really hoping so because aside from the American Pride thing, I have tickets to that final game and it would rock if the team I went to go see at Wembley actually won the game there.

Nice ticket score there, Miss I.:thumbsup: Should be an awesome atmosphere!

Our gymnasts also kicked a little ass too! Go USA!

Yes they did, but remember; they're gymnasts....all they have are little asses!;D

Lycan
08-01-2012, 03:07 AM
So... handball is actually kind of fun to watch. Sort of like Basketball meets Soccer.

Where's Jake Plummer at?

cutthemdown
08-01-2012, 03:12 AM

Its the worst in history. The opening ceremony was sort of weird also. The flame being inside the stadium where people can't see it? The fact NBC tries to make taped events seem live. Then like you said how Ryan Seacrest became some star is beyond me. You are right he are as unwatchable as mormon rap is unlistenable, if there were such a thing.

cutthemdown
08-01-2012, 03:13 AM
So... handball is actually kind of fun to watch. Sort of like Basketball meets Soccer.

Where's Jake Plummer at?

LOL these dudes would kill him.

brncs_fan
08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Kind of related, but I had to crack-up when I heard the "Two Live Stu's" on Atlanta sports radio complaining that China was leading the US in overall and Gold medal count. Then their assistant chimed in and asked how they thought China would do in the track and field events, and suddenly things weren't really worth getting all uptight over.

As of now we have passed China but still trail them by 4 golds.

Swedish Extrovert
08-01-2012, 08:18 PM
John Orozco should try out as an NFL running back.

myMind
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
#1- Seacrust is a dbag
#2- Who the **** writes their copy?
#3- Go US of the mofo A
#4- NBC commentators = derp.

extralife
08-01-2012, 10:10 PM
John Orozco should try out as an NFL running back.

5'5" 156lbs. All upper body. He wouldn't last a practice, don't be an idiot.

Chris
08-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Where's Jake Plummer at?

Wrong handball. What Plummer calls handball I call french tennis. I played the olympic handball briefly in high school. It is kind of fun.

SouthStndJunkie
08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
LONDON -- Michael Phelps won the 200-meter individual medley Thursday for his first individual gold of the London Olympics.

The American clocked 1 minute, 54.27 seconds for his record 20th career Olympic medal and 16th gold.

Teammate Ryan Lochte touched in 1:54.90 to take the silver medal and Laszlo Cseh of Hungary was third in 1:56.22.

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Today's been a good day for the US at the podium. Pulled even in gold and pulling away in overall medal count.

myMind
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Watching a live stream of the U.S.A vs Nigeria basketball game right now. It's insane how much better we are. It's literally like watching a real time highlight reel. I also like watching a game with no commentary, so much more enjoyable.

myMind
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Up 68 to 36 with 4 minutes left in the second, lol.

myMind
08-02-2012, 03:01 PM
78 to 45 at halftime.

cutthemdown
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Our team is doing well. Wow how far have the Soviets, errrr I mean the Russians fell. Stalin, errrrrr I mean Putin must be pissed.

myMind
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Melo is 9 for 11 from 3 so far. Has hit four in a row in the last 3 minutes.

myMind
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
119 to 62 at the end of the third.

myMind
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Final 156 to 73.
We beat them by 83 ****ing points.

ludo21
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
oh yeah.... a world cup for basketball would just be a blast to watch......

NOTTTTTT!!!

SonOfLe-loLang
08-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Melo is really good at international basketball. He always seems to shine

extralife
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
not to take anything away from that absolute clinic of a game, but I think Nigeria has the worst coaching staff in any sport I've ever seen. blown out by 83 points and I don't think their head coach ever did anything but post up the best art shell face the world has ever seen. we hit 29 threes and there was not one single adjustment made by them to close out on our shooters. it was an embarrassment

gunns
08-04-2012, 08:08 AM
So the men's basketball is playing right now, they announce they are down by 2, but they don't show it???

RhymesayersDU
08-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Just finished watching the US game. Lithuania gave them all they wanted. USA shot the ball like **** though.

FYI it was on the NBC Sports Network live.

Kaylore
08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
not to take anything away from that absolute clinic of a game, but I think Nigeria has the worst coaching staff in any sport I've ever seen. blown out by 83 points and I don't think their head coach ever did anything but post up the best art shell face the world has ever seen. we hit 29 threes and there was not one single adjustment made by them to close out on our shooters. it was an embarrassment

rep

eddie mac
08-05-2012, 06:57 AM
TeamGB kicking absolute arse. 3 golds in the space of an hour on the track last night, un****ingreal.

DenverBrit
08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
http://www.theasian.asia/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/%ED%85%A1%EA%B7%B8%EB%A6%AC%EB%89%B4%EC%8A%A4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/mookiedoi/Borat-flag.jpg

;D

Miss I.
08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Congrats to the USA Ladies Soccer team! You rock and wow, good show Canadians..dang, that was like watching the last 10 minutes of a Tim Tebow lead Broncos team, only the whole game was good. Now Bring on Japan so we can kick their asses and I can get blind stinking insane at the Gold Medal Match!

Swedish Extrovert
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
5'5" 156lbs. All upper body. He wouldn't last a practice, don't be an idiot.

Gymnasts should play football.

156 seems kind small for him. But I'm not worried about the 5'5" - low center of gravity for a running back.

Daniel Leyva, too.

DomCasual
08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm watching the Live Track & Field right now. There is a high jumper named Robbie Grabarz. Listening to these two British guys pronounce that name, over and over again, is comedy gold for the neanderthal part of my sense of humor.

"Robby Grahb-arse!"

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/image/images/small-bnb.gif

"Did he just say Grab Ass?"

"Heh heh heh! Heh heh! Say it again!"

oubronco
08-07-2012, 06:03 PM
USA Women will play the USA Women for the Gold in Beach Volleyball :strong:

http://www.topfox.tv/pic/misty_may_treanor/30649_misty_may_treanor_scaled.jpg

Miss I.
08-09-2012, 03:32 PM
The US Women's Soccer team rocks it and Shut down the Japanese team! Yes! YES! America rocks! I love America! We are so awesome! Yes! OMG, non stop awesomeness! We are the Champions of the world! YES! Finally a team I see at Wembley that I want to win actually does! Woo hoo! USA women rock! We rock...serioulsy I am not even drunk, I am just so amped that I got to see a Gold Medal event, attend my first Olympics, watch my country kick ass...so happy right now..And I am moving back to CO in December! Woo Hoo!

Dutch
08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
The US Women's Soccer team rocks it and Shut down the Japanese team! Yes! YES! America rocks! I love America! We are so awesome! Yes! OMG, non stop awesomeness! We are the Champions of the world! YES! Finally a team I see at Wembley that I want to win actually does! Woo hoo! USA women rock! We rock...serioulsy I am not even drunk, I am just so amped that I got to see a Gold Medal event, attend my first Olympics, watch my country kick ass...so happy right now..And I am moving back to CO in December! Woo Hoo!

Been thinking about you at the game all afternoon, Miss I. Great that you got a good game with a great result! Our women's team really does rock.

Miss I.
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Been thinking about you at the game all afternoon, Miss I. Great that you got a good game with a great result! Our women's team really does rock.

thanks. Japan had a lot of shots on goal so I was very nervous, plus after Canada nearly took us out I was nervous, but we held our own and scored early. It is so much more fun to watch games in person then on TV plus honestly this just was more edge of the seat then a lot of games I've seen. A lot games can be really boring, but the skill and athleticism on both teams was impressive. the poor German man next to me probably thought I was so crazy as I yelled so much. My camera went to crap so even when the team walked up to near where I was sitting I couldn't get it, oh well I was there. Now I will go back to being excited about Peyton Manning.

cutthemdown
08-10-2012, 03:01 AM

Especially the women. Our women are leading the team in golds, and leading our country to an Olympic victory. Our women are dominant.

Dutch
08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Especially the women. Our women are leading the team in golds, and leading our country to an Olympic victory. Our women are dominant.

Funny that I was just hopping over here to drop a bit of props to our World Record setting Women's 4x100 meter relay team. Awesome, awesome, race. Nice to erase the disappointment of all the dropped batons since 1996 with the fastest time posted since the '85 East German (read: roid experiment) team. Didn't just beat it, they destroyed it.:strong:

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2012, 01:12 PM

That's awesome that you got to be there for the Olympics and got to see a big gold medal moment/event like that.

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Updated Medal Count:

USA leads China 99-84 in the overall medal count.

USA leads China 42-37 in the overall gold medal count.

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Women's Basketball Gold Medal Game:

USA 86

France 50

Bronx33
08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Women's Basketball Gold Medal Game:

USA 86

France 50

The good news is the french didn't surrender. :P

Bronx33
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
ps: I love watching the handball.

Jason in LA
08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
There must be something wrong with the guide on my TV. I turn it to NBC, and it says Olympics from 8 to midnight. But 42 minutes in, I'm still watching a documentary on World War II.

Yep, this coverage has been horrible, and that's an understatement.

Miss I.
08-12-2012, 02:05 AM
There must be something wrong with the guide on my TV. I turn it to NBC, and it says Olympics from 8 to midnight. But 42 minutes in, I'm still watching a documentary on World War II.

Yep, this coverage has been horrible, and that's an understatement.

I am really sorry to hear it. I've been talking to friends about the NBC craptacular coverage. Makes me glad to be here. The Brits coverage is excellent. The BBC has this wicked cool thing that allows you to go to a menu to see the schedule of events and switch over to the one you want to see from that. It's pretty well done. I'd never seen anything like that in the US. Plus their announcers are funnier most of the time. Brit humor is something else, but makes me laugh. I am glad I got the chance to be here. I never went to any of the Olympics in the US so this was cool. But now I can say I've been to a world cup game (men's in LA), Olympics (London), and a Superbowl (XXXII) in San Diego. I've also seen the Broncos at Wembley. Now I just need to go back and actually see the Broncos in a regular season game at home. I've only ever seen them at a Superbowl and a preseason game at Mile High when #6 was Jay Cutler, not supertall dude from Twilight. But I will be back in Denver in December, perhaps I can freeze my ass off at Mile High then. ;D

Lycan
08-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Yes, NBC is horrible. Super horrible.

Plus, now I'm addicted to watching Women's Handball.

How the hell am I going to continue that after the Olympics is over? That s### ain't televised!

cutthemdown
08-12-2012, 07:04 AM
I hate how one network gets all the Olympics. They can't show enough. We need coverage where we can watch more things like.

baja
08-12-2012, 08:20 AM
USA behind Spain late in the third in the basketball game.

baja
08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
22 fouls in one quarter, is the fix in?

baja
08-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Spain giving the US all they can handle late in the game.

baja
08-12-2012, 08:50 AM
US up by 6 with 3 left

SouthStndJunkie
08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Men's Basketball Gold Medal Game:

USA 107

Spain 100

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Spain's coaching really questionable. Good game though.

NFLBRONCO
08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I guess I'm the only person that didn't watch a minute of the Olympics carry on.

Jason in LA
08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
One big problem is that NBC is over producing the coverage. It's like they are packaging it for us. I'm really a track guy (I ran the hurdles at UCLA, and was teammates with Ato Bolden, one of NBC's track announcers). So I'd turn on the coverage every night, and I'm watching beach volleyball and diving mostly, with a little track sprinkled in here and there. And usually they'd show the prelim races early in the program, and they wouldn't show the final races until like 10:30 pm. That's just silly, especially when the whole thing is tape delayed by a good 8 hours. So they could show the finals when ever they wanted, so why wait so late? And I really don't care to watch the prelim races. I know who is going to make it to the finals. They should have shown the prelims earlier in the day on one of those other channels that NBC was using, and finals in prime time.

Also, seeing that they had like 4 other channels to work with, they could have had a channel dedicated to the track for a block of time, and a channel dedicated to the swimming, or what ever sport was being shown. I just wanted to watch some track. That's like watching a NFL game, and after 20 minutes they start showing us a tennis match. Like dude, I'm trying to watch the game!

NBC's coverage has been worst than horrible.

Jason in LA
08-12-2012, 09:39 AM
And I don't get handball. It didn't look interesting to me.

Rohirrim
08-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I can barely watch this Olympics. NBC has basically just **** all over it. Yesterday, the entire coverage of the pole vault and the high jump took less time than a commercial, while coverage of ribbon dancing and beach volleyball went on for hours. Pathetic, disgusting, worthless, garbage.

UberBroncoMan
08-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I can barely watch this Olympics. NBC has basically just **** all over it. Yesterday, the entire coverage of the pole vault and the high jump took less time than a commercial, while coverage of ribbon dancing and beach volleyball went on for hours. Pathetic, disgusting, worthless, garbage.

European coverage ****s all over NBC.

That said, glad we **** all over China after the last one.

DenverBrit
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I wonder how many NBC aired.

In all, 44 world records have been set during London 2012, and 117 Olympic records broken.

Rohirrim
08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Now they're showing hours of rhythmic ball dancing. Preceded by water polo. No shooting events. No archery. Two minutes of pole vault and high jump. Five minutes of broad jump. About thirty seconds for the entire shot put event. No javelin. No discus. And hours of rhythmic ball dancing and ribbon dancing.

Jason in LA
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Yeah, it's like most of the coverage is on sports that most folks don't really want to watch. They really should have used the other channels to show events in their entirety, and used the main NBC station to show bits and pieces of the action.

Jason in LA
08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
When I think about the Olympics, I think about track, swimming, basketball, and gymnastics. Those events should be shown in their entirety, and then all those other events that maybe peak somebody's interest, chop those up on some other channel. When I'm watching a track meet, that's all I want to watch.

British Bronco
08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
We've had 24 dedicated HD channels showing every single event live, and it'll be the same with every Olympics. Amazed with the media the US has, that you havent had the same!

DenverBrit
08-12-2012, 12:45 PM
We've had 24 dedicated HD channels showing every single event live, and it'll be the same with every Olympics. Amazed with the media the US has, that you havent had the same!

The NBC coverage here has been the worst I can remember......and even if I couldn't remember, it's been bloody awful! ;D

Miss I.
08-12-2012, 01:00 PM

yep. they've done a great job over here. I can watch whatever I want and with DVR anytime I want. The clusterf of NBCs coverage is actually being talked about over here. Now it's about time for the closing ceremonies...I am kind of hoping there won't be a repeat of Paul McCartney, though the Queen parachuting in again would be okay.

Simply Red
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
hi,

does anyone know how the USA fared in the wrestling showdown? I'm afraid I missed it.

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2012, 01:59 PM
CM Punk is still world champion, if that's what you're asking.

Miss I.
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Wrestling: http://www.london2012.com/wrestling/
US was 5th in medals for Wrestling, Russia was #1 and Japan #2. Full details are at the link above. I didn't watch any of it largely due to work and stuff, but the website has pretty good stuff on it.

Miss I.
08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
The closing is better than the opening I think, though for the love of music, retire Sir Elton. His voices sounds even worse than at the Jubilee. And while I enjoy listening to the largely 70s and 80s music reunion tour (some of my favorite stuff) does England not have any newer rock-pop acts then David Bowie, Annie Lennox, George Michael, Madness and Elton John? Granted I loved the John Lennon Imagine tribute, very well done. And it beats the hell out of the Superbowl Halftime shows of late (I think the last semi decent one was Prince) but still makes me wonder if they plan on bringing on anyone under the age of 50 out there.

CHANGSTER
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Didn't have a big issue with the coverage. I can watch any event I like on demand.

Simply Red
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Wrestling: http://www.london2012.com/wrestling/
US was 5th in medals for Wrestling, Russia was #1 and Japan #2. Full details are at the link above. I didn't watch any of it largely due to work and stuff, but the website has pretty good stuff on it.

Thanks. So the US takes the Gold, fantastic. What a run from the USA!

baja
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Really enjoying the closing ceremonies. Mostly.

Miss I.
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
one minor clarification, evidently Sir Elton was not at the closing, but I swear I heard a very bad version of one of his songs and given how bad he was at the Jubilee I kind of figured it was him...oh well..still it was certainly an interesting golden oldie music fest. The best part I do think was the John Lennon bit, but that's my personal thing.

GoBroncos DownUnder
08-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Here is The Olympics, from another countries point of view - Australia:
(fyi - after 100+ questions about "what did they say" they subtitled this version ... for Americans!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kCXfA4HppwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Between the original and the subtitled versions about 400,000 views in 10 days!