PDA

View Full Version : Taste the Rainbow responsibly - Marshawn Lynch hooked for DUI

BigPlayShay
07-16-2012, 09:13 PM
OAKLAND -- NFL star and former Oakland Tech and Cal football player Marshawn Lynch was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence Saturday night and taken to Santa Rita Jail, according to a sheriff's spokesman.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_21089868/nfl-star-oakland-tech-grad-marshawn-lynch-arrested

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
This is getting ridiculous. These players argued for more freedom in the offseason yet a high percentage of them can't even handle 3 weeks of freedom.

Los Broncos
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I wonder at this pount if driving a flashy car has something to do with all these guys getting popped?

Or are they that dumb?

Boobs McGee
07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
They're that dumb.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
They're that dumb.

I agree with this. Rich people have drivers. At least back in the day you knew you were rich when someone would drive you around while you chill in the backseat. I'm gonna start an NFL players driving service. They obviously want to show off their cars so we will use their own. Just drop a driver off before goin out.

theAPAOps5
07-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Coaches are literally downing mylanta and avoiding spicy foods with the ulcers they have right now. Camp can't come soon enough for these idiots.

broncocalijohn
07-17-2012, 12:05 AM
We sleep in our cars in the parking lot if we had too much to drink. That makes us 50% dumb. Guys like DJ and Lynch make sure they get their first A+ since kindergarten and laugh at us in that parking lot.

boltaneer
07-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Doesn't this dumbass get in trouble every year?

Aftermath
07-17-2012, 12:23 AM
WhAts this, his third??!?!?

in awe
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
We sleep in our cars in the parking lot if we had too much to drink. That makes us 50% dumb. Guys like DJ and Lynch make sure they get their first A+ since kindergarten and laugh at us in that parking lot.

FYI - that is a DUI if your keys are in the car with you.

Boobs McGee
07-17-2012, 06:18 AM

*if the keys are within a certain radius of the car, inside or out (cant remember the exact footage) it's a DUI.

Captain 'Dre
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
I wonder at this pount if driving a flashy car has something to do with all these guys getting popped?

Or are they that dumb?

They're that dumb.

Captain 'Dre
07-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I agree with this. Rich people have drivers. At least back in the day you knew you were rich when someone would drive you around while you chill in the backseat. I'm gonna start an NFL players driving service. They obviously want to show off their cars so we will use their own. Just drop a driver off before goin out.

The NFL already has a driving service for the players, and from what I hear it is RARELY used.

barryr
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
The lack of responsibility and accountability is what is prevalent in the NFL and really, all pro sports. So many players grew up in broken homes, where being responsible was not a message of importance. Plus, they know there will be some team giving them yet another chance if they screw up. I have somehow managed to never have been arrested for anything and make nowhere near the money these guys do. Maybe if they worried more about helping others and their community more and about themselves so much. Most players do help their communities and find a way to stay out of trouble, so they should be commended, especially when compared to these idiots that can't handle the wealth or fame at all.

Binkythefrog
07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
The NFL already has a driving service for the players, and from what I hear it is RARELY used.

I think its rarely used because players are afraid this is another way for teams to ding them come contract negotiation time.

It's sad really, DUI's kill people and people are worried about their next multi million dollar contract.

But why not hire your own freaking private driver for a night? It can't be more than 500 bucks or something.. and for these multimillionaires that is pocket change.

Edit: A quick google search pointed me to this:

http://www.drive4me.com/chauffeur

Starts at 25 dollars a hour - looks like LA only.. but I'm sure you can find this anywhere.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 07:56 AM

*if the keys are within a certain radius of the car, inside or out (cant remember the exact footage) it's a DUI.

I've never heard this. Every state I've seen the laws, it's "in the driver seat, with key in ignition."

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 07:56 AM

They probably use black Lincoln towncars. 90s models. Playas don't want to be seen in that!

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
I've never heard this. Every state I've seen the laws, it's "in the driver seat, with key in ignition."

My buddy was drunk one night. His GF picked him up drove home and parked in their driveway. He was in the passenger seat passed out and she couldn't carry him. So she left him in the passenger seat and put the keys in the glove box then left. Cops show up about a person in a car, bam he gets a DUI.

Tombstone RJ
07-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Dude, I know many "rich" people and here's the thing: they don't ever flaunt it. It's only the people who never had any money, and all of a sudden get money, that act like idiots.

The people who have money, and have always had money, know how to NOT show it.

Rabb
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
My buddy was drunk one night. His GF picked him up drove home and parked in their driveway. He was in the passenger seat passed out and she couldn't carry him. So she left him in the passenger seat and put the keys in the glove box then left. Cops show up about a person in a car, bam he gets a DUI.

Yep, my buddy also got a DUI while he was sitting in the passenger seat with the door open listening to the radio after he had been drinking. Car was not running.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Yep, my buddy also got a DUI while he was sitting in the passenger seat with the door open listening to the radio after he had been drinking. Car was not running.

Actual physical control is a bullshiat way to ruin someone's life. It certainly isn't designed to keep the roads safe. If we were trying to make the roads safer we should start by banning phones and female drivers.

Tombstone RJ
07-17-2012, 09:05 AM

If the keys were in the ignition, yep, that's how I understand it. If he did not have the keys in the ignition then the police probably would not have arrested him.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I got arrested for DUI, charges reduced to reckless driving. Had to take an 12 hour class and learned in that class that if the keys are anywhere inside the car, and youre in it, it can be charged as a DUI.

This has become more and more important since newer cars do not need keys to be in an ignition for it to start.

broncocalijohn
07-17-2012, 10:37 AM

The law for DUI is not made for these situations. I would ask for a jury and fight that tooth and nail. Idiot cops and sargeant that allowed that to be a DUI. Everything was done in a responsible way to stay off the road. hell, he was already home! I couldnt see a jury having 12 guilty votes on that one.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I got arrested for DUI, charges reduced to reckless driving. Had to take an 12 hour class and learned in that class that if the keys are anywhere inside the car, and youre in it, it can be charged as a DUI.

This has become more and more important since newer cars do not need keys to be in an ignition for it to start.

Something isn't making sense here, or there's a misapplication of the law. According to what you all are saying, if you get drunk and have a designated driver take your keys and drive you home in your car, you are still guilty of a DUI because you and your keys are in the car. That clearly isn't the law, so there's got to be something else, some other criteria, that has to be met.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
The law for DUI is not made for these situations. I would ask for a jury and fight that tooth and nail. Idiot cops and sargeant that allowed that to be a DUI. Everything was done in a responsible way to stay off the road. hell, he was already home! I couldnt see a jury having 12 guilty votes on that one.

I thought the same way. A good lawyer would at the least get that reduced. But with no money and lawyer he just bent himself over. Instances like that the cops have the power to make the arrest though. Having it stick up in court is another story.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Something isn't making sense here, or there's a misapplication of the law. According to what you all are saying, if you get drunk and have a designated driver take your keys and drive you home in your car, you are still guilty of a DUI because you and your keys are in the car. That clearly isn't the law, so there's got to be something else, some other criteria, that has to be met.

That's exactly how it happened though. In Cali cops have the power to arrest if the keys are anywhere inside the car. Parked in a driveway or not. He failed at getting a lawyer and just went through the system. He was in my same DUI class. I only had to do 12 hours of it. Him 3 months. Had he pleaded not guilty I'm betting it would've eventually been dropped.

The instructor of the class stressed the newer car/key situation. A lot of these new cars have keyless entry ignitions. Apparently that's a problem

BroncoBen
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Actually this is more common than you think, I know somebody that decided to sleep it off in his car when he was dropped off by the cab.. instead of going inside he opened up the car got in the backseat. A neighbor called the cops to report something suspicious..

He was woken up by the police and given a DUI .. even though he was in his driveway, in the backseat of the car.

The argument by the assistant DA was that since he had the keys in his pocket he could have driven the car and put the public at risk.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Technically, on holidays....especially New Years, every single car with more than one person in it could be pulled over and a person arrested. Even if the driver is 100% sober.

Only in Cali.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Actually this is more common than you think, I know somebody that decided to sleep it off in his car when he was dropped off by the cab.. instead of going inside he opened up the car got in the backseat. A neighbor called the cops to report something suspicious..

He was woken up by the police and given a DUI .. even though he was in his driveway, in the backseat of the car.

The argument by the assistant DA was that since he had the keys in his pocket he could have driven the car and put the public at risk.

Yup. There's stories like this alot. It really is up to the officers discretion and mood he's in. But how far it stands up in court is another thing. Even if it gets dropped the hassle of jail and DMV shenanigans you have to go through blows. If it comes down to that situation just leave the keys in a bush or outside the car somewhere and hope you remember you did that when you wake up.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Police fishing. Any competent person would have that thrown out in court.

If that were held up by a judge, then you'd literally have to start arresting every person that tailgates at a sporting event with their keys in their pocket. Same distance from the driver seat. Same potential to drive and put the public at risk.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 11:09 AM

If that were held up by a judge, then you'd literally have to start arresting every person that tailgates at a sporting event with their keys in their pocket. Same distance from the driver seat. Same potential to drive and put the public at risk.

I agree. Cops can be asses if they wanted to be. Rational people would throw those cases out but it doesn't take away the experience of having to get arrested and booked.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Beantown Public Service Announcement: Apparently, it's ok to do pass out drunk in a parked car in Florida.

http://www.polklawblog.com/archives/is-sleeping-in-your-car-a-crime

Massachusetts has this one right. It clearly separates the charges of DUI and OUI. DUI charge requires the cops to have evidence that you are drunk and were actually driving. Hence the "D". If you're merely sleeping it off and there's no way to prove you ever drove the car yourself, you're good to go.

OUI is the charge if you're in any way "operating" the vehicle. And they define operating as physically putting the key in the ignition and turning it ot the "on" position. Anything less (keys still in your pocket, on the dash, or in the ignition but not turned).....you're good to go.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Beantown Public Service Announcement: Apparently, it's ok to do pass out drunk in a parked car in Florida.

http://www.polklawblog.com/archives/is-sleeping-in-your-car-a-crime

Massachusetts has this one right. It clearly separates the charges of DUI and OUI. DUI charge requires the cops to have evidence that you are drunk and were actually driving. Hence the "D". If you're merely sleeping it off and there's no way to prove you ever drove the car yourself, you're good to go.

OUI is the charge if you're in any way "operating" the vehicle. And they define operating as physically putting the key in the ignition and turning it ot the "on" position. Anything less (keys still in your pocket, on the dash, or in the ignition but not turned.....you're good to go.

Ya some states have some rational approaches to this. Others not so much. I watched Cops yesterday and a dude was walkin down the street hammered. He hit a pole with his car and walked away. In the end cops said they had no evidence that he actually drove the car into the pole and let him go! Suggested he would have to pay for the pole fixed but no DUI. In Cali he wouldve got multiple charges ha!

Rabb
07-17-2012, 11:24 AM

It's crazy, in my co-worker's example we are in Colorado. He literally was sitting there, feet hanging out the passenger door, car not running but keys in the ignition with the radio going and he had been drinking. In his driveway, watching his kids in the front yard playing. He got a DUI.

Keys in the ignition I think were the kicker for him, but still...common sense here would just tell the cop to maybe bust his balls but a DUI?

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Looked up some crazy stories on the Internet. One dude was asleep in his truck bed with a camper shell. Arrested for DUI. Ha! I wonder if the DA gets upset with the cops that make these ridiculous arrests.

Popps
I notice the whole "microcosm of society" argument has totally dried up around here.

Requiem
This isn't surprising. Marshawn has always had character issues. He would often flash gang signs after scoring touchdowns at Cal (you can see him doing it in any highlight reel) and was always a questionable enigma on the field. What he has (or lacks) upstairs is the reason why he hasn't succeed to his abilities in the NFL. He has all-world ability, but isn't mentally tough. Buffalo got sick of him. He will probably wear out his welcome in Seattle, however, Pete Carroll loves Pac-10 players. It is no surprise that is where he ended up. He has already violated Goodell's policies once, so I am guessing he could get six games for this.

Here is the best video of Marshawn ever, ghost ridding a medical cart he stole after Cal beat Washington back in the day. Hilarious, but anyone who saw this knew he'd go dummy in the NFL.
<IFRAME height=315 src="<a href=" width=420 target="_blank" UqMsT_2teus? embed www.youtube.com http:>http://www.youtube.com/embed/UqMsT_2teus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMsT_2teus

oubronco
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Cops make shyt up as they go

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Ha Req I remember that. Just cruisin it around the field.

Requiem
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Ha Req I remember that. Just cruisin it around the field.

Like a boss. :)

spdirty
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
We need to trade for him. He could break off 3 felonies in our system. :(

bronco militia
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
We need to trade for him. He could break off 3 felonies in our system. :(

Hilarious!

WolfpackGuy
07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
OUI is the charge if you're in any way "operating" the vehicle. And they define operating as physically putting the key in the ignition and turning it ot the "on" position. Anything less (keys still in your pocket, on the dash, or in the ignition but not turned).....you're good to go.

Man, they could clean up on tailgaters who have their radios on at any sporting event with that one!

Boobs McGee
07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Beantown -

Unfortunately, the law is veeeeeery gray area when it comes to "physical control" (as the Doc mentioned) or "intent to drive".

I worked for the Douglas county parks department for over six years, and was in charge of hundreds of people doing community service work for DUI requirements. A lot of those people had brought their discovery reports from the police, because some of the stories i'd heard were just too much to believe.

The worst conviction. Guy was partying at HIS OWN HOUSE, noise complaint was filed, he happened to be sitting in his garage when the cops got there. He had grabbed something out of his car (parked in the driveway) and come back to sit inside where the keg was. Cops gave him a DUI on intent to drive (upheld and convicted in court) because the keys were in his pocket and he was within a certain distance of his car. I read the entire report, and it happened just like he described.

NUMEROUS other occasions, DUI's were given (and convicted, or dropped down to DWAI's) for people sleeping in there cars after boozing.

It's pretty amazing how loosely the law is interpreted.

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Man, they could clean up on tailgaters who have their radios on at any sporting event with that one!

Only if you're tailgating IN your car.

in awe
07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
In CO your keys can't be within a certain amount of feet from your vehicle while intoxicated. The idea behind this is "the possibility" of you driving. Lol

A friend of mine got a DUI while in his backseat waiting for me to pick him up. He thought he was sure he would win his case because I pulled up to pick him up while he was getting cuffed, but he still lost.

I felt bad for him because his first DUI was because he was sleeping in the car with the keys in the ignition to keep warm. He learned in a class this was illegal. Then the law changed where the keys couldn't be near the car and he had no idea. I think they make the laws more stricter every April so you have to stay updated.

My buddy now has 2 DUI's. Zero are for actually driving drunk

DENVERDUI55
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Looked up some crazy stories on the Internet. One dude was asleep in his truck bed with a camper shell. Arrested for DUI. Ha! I wonder if the DA gets upset with the cops that make these ridiculous arrests.

I doubt it DUI s are to produce revenue more than anything.

WolfpackGuy
07-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Why was he was driving a Ford Econoline van...?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8174721/marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-had-2-collisions-arrest-report-says

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/559112/958966.jpg

Doggcow
07-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Why stop there? Just arrest everyone, because they have keys? They might get drunk tonight then go driving. May as well arrest them now for what they could do. Who knows, they'll probably murder someone too.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Why stop there? Just arrest everyone, because they have keys? They might get drunk tonight then go driving. May as well arrest them now for what they could do. Who knows, they'll probably murder someone too.

Seriously. I've heard of some idiotic laws in my time, but never anything as bad as this (excluding old common/blue laws that are technically still in effect but never get enforced). I wouldn't believe it if I couldn't find the case info online. I can't believe crap like this ever got passed.

razorwire77
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM
New Mexico is the King of DUI overreaction. People get busted for .03s .02s or sleeping one off in the backseat all of the time. Yep, Joe big shot in a Lexus on his Blackberry can blindly cut across four lanes of traffic, I get cut off daily by a 17-year-old texting girl in a Jetta or a Civic, but a guy doing the right thing and trying to sleep off a bender in the passenger seat should get the book thrown at him on a technicality.