PDA

View Full Version : The Orange Mane and its rival

socal
07-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Has Broncos Country always been the "official" message board of the Denver Broncos - that is, has it always been hosted on denverbroncos.com? I "discovered" that board (along with this one) 3 or 4 years ago - and it's funny how it's only been within the past year that I became aware of this affiliation. I was under the impression that Broncos Country was an independent, "grass-roots" type of deal.

At the same time, it seems that The Orange Mane isn't nearly as prominent in the Google search results as it used to be - at least when you type in the unquoted phrase "Denver Broncos Message Board".

I'm just wondering if Broncos Country and The Orange Mane are - in different ways - casualties of the NFL's attempt to control internet discourse. Maybe it bought Broncos Country - while engaging in "optimization" tricks to lower the visibility of The Orange Mane (probably its biggest threat/rival)?

It's something how - if you try to Google a good message board for most/all of the NFL teams - the first board that usually pops up - in "Can't Miss It" fashion - is the official board that is attached to the team's official website. And in most/all cases, it is the most viable option by far; it doesn't face much competition from much weaker, much-less-visited fan message boards (that is - if other boards for that team even exist in the first place). IIRC, this situation was much less the case, oh, 8 years ago - NFL teams didn't have such a stranglehold on the internet-forum market.

baja
07-16-2012, 01:44 AM
what?

TDmvp
07-16-2012, 02:51 AM
http://diaryofamadgayman.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/wait-what.jpg

Blueflame
07-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Has Broncos Country always been the "official" message board of the Denver Broncos - that is, has it always been hosted on denverbroncos.com? I "discovered" that board (along with this one) 3 or 4 years ago - and it's funny how it's only been within the past year that I became aware of this affiliation. I was under the impression that Broncos Country was an independent, "grass-roots" type of deal.

At the same time, it seems that The Orange Mane isn't nearly as prominent in the Google search results as it used to be - at least when you type in the unquoted phrase "Denver Broncos Message Board".

I'm just wondering if Broncos Country and The Orange Mane are - in different ways - casualties of the NFL's attempt to control internet discourse. Maybe it bought Broncos Country - while engaging in "optimization" tricks to lower the visibility of The Orange Mane (probably its biggest threat/rival)?

It's something how - if you try to Google a good message board for most/all of the NFL teams - the first board that usually pops up - in "Can't Miss It" fashion - is the official board that is attached to the team's official website. And in most/all cases, it is the most viable option by far; it doesn't face much competition from much weaker, much-less-visited fan message boards (that is - if other boards for that team even exist in the first place). IIRC, this situation was much less the case, oh, 8 years ago - NFL teams didn't have such a stranglehold on the internet-forum market.

Wouldn't "the history of Broncos Country message board" logically be a more appropriate discussion topic for that forum? ??? While there are no doubt some posters here (including me) who are registered on both message boards, the Mane seems like an odd venue to ask this particular question.

Guess the bottom line is that it is to be hoped that this thread doesn't devolve into "bashing another Broncos board". Regardless of which forum we call "home"... at the end of the day, we're rooting for the same team.

Stuck in Cali
07-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Hmm, when I looked for a fan forum site not that long ago, this was one of the first to pop up. Glad I found it. It's more adult than what I would think one ran by the Broncos or NFL. For the most part all the posters have been cool, not all but most. Best thing I like is that it was made and is taken care of by a fan, how could you not support that.

Think I found a home till my mouth/posts gets me kicked :p.

The others might be good also, I just like it here to not even bother checking them out.

socal
07-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Wouldn't "the history of Broncos Country message board" logically be a more appropriate discussion topic for that forum? ??? While there are no doubt some posters here (including me) who are registered on both message boards, the Mane seems like an odd venue to ask this particular question.

Guess the bottom line is that it is to be hoped that this thread doesn't devolve into "bashing another Broncos board". Regardless of which forum we call "home"... at the end of the day, we're rooting for the same team.

My intent is not to bash Broncos Country or to incite an inter-board war - I was simply curious, is all. And I was naturally leery of asking that question over there - for at least a couple of different reasons. I was looking for an answer to my question - and I realize that there are many posters who probably belong to both boards - so I thought I could get an answer here.

And I think the fact that the most visible and active boards in fanboard-dom seem to be property of NFL teams is worth noting. There are obvious probable implications - as far as controlling content, what types of comments appear, steering the conversations in a particular direction, possible IP-tracking etc..

This board appears to be a viable board that is independent - which is great, and increasingly rare.

Maybe it was just the name "Broncos Country" that threw me off, I'm not sure - the name alone can give you the impression that it is an independent entity. Maybe I simply missed that it had the address forums.denverbroncos.com - or maybe I just didn't care until recently.

RhymesayersDU
07-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Broncos Country is for the gays.

Except blart, etc.

Meck77
07-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Troll alert.

Wes Mantooth
07-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Chefs suck and I hate the Raiders. What board is more prominent doesn't really matter.

RhymesayersDU
07-16-2012, 07:47 AM
DOROTHY MANTOOTH IS A SAINT!

Kaylore
07-16-2012, 07:54 AM

First of all, it appears everyone but me totally missed the point of your thread. I googled and you are correct.

I don't know how worried the NFL is about our board. Having said that, I do find it disturbing that if you google "Denver Broncos Message Board, Broncos Message Board and Denver football message board" the OrangeMane no longer loads at all. I went three pages deep into results before I stopped looking. If you google the word "forum" with any of those, the Mane does load, but it is the sixth option to appear with several really crappy ones in front of us.

So it is odd.

Beantown Bronco
07-16-2012, 08:00 AM
I wish there was a way to do a historical search to see if Mock's passing had anything to do with this.

In all seriousness, maybe TJ could let us know if the OM traffic has gone down in recent years. That would be a legitimate explanation. If not and traffic is basically the same, then an argument could certainly be made that something fishy is going on.

socalorado
07-16-2012, 08:13 AM
There are no rivals of the Mane.

Theres the Jr high level, G-Rated board- Broncomania
Theres the High School level, PG rated board- Bronco Forums
Theres the College level, X-Rated board- Orange Mane

Broncomania has always had an official aspect to it, and over the last 5 years has become a politically correct, non discussion, discussion board.
You are really not allowed to have any kind of banter, or disagreements, and no sarcasm or minor vuglar language is allowed or tolerated. Basically everyone WILL get along there.

Bronco Forums was never very popular until the Cutler/Shanahan debacle-nuclear meltdown. After the aftermath and the hiring of McDooDooHead, many Maners left searching for a more mellow discussion board, where there wasnt such an acidic dialogue amongst the fans. Broncomania wasnt it, so Bronco Forums membership went up.
Recently, BF has begun losing more and more of its recent members that are coming back to the Mane, or going elsewhere, because they at BF are adopting the Broncomania G-rated, non-discussion, disscusion board. No arguements, no banter, no sarcasm, no disagreements, unless sanctioned by Gestapo Control.

The Orange Mane. The last holdout for pure, unadulterated discussion.
I better not get fricken banned Taco! LOL!

RhymesayersDU
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Speaking of shenanigans, I remember stumbling upon a tactic a couple years ago. One day for some reason I had to type the OM URL in manually. Well I accidentally typed it incorrectly... I think I typed "theorangemane.com" or something, and it redirected me to a Chargers website. Don't know if it still does that.

maher_tyler
07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
First of all, it appears everyone but me totally missed the point of your thread. I googled and you are correct.

I don't know how worried the NFL is about our board. Having said that, I do find it disturbing that if you google "Denver Broncos Message Board, Broncos Message Board and Denver football message board" the OrangeMane no longer loads at all. I went three pages deep into results before I stopped looking. If you google the word "forum" with any of those, the Mane does load, but it is the sixth option to appear with several really crappy ones in front of us.

So it is odd.

There is something called search engine optimization. Its a combo of link building, the right content on your site, and correct coding of the site.

Meck77
07-16-2012, 08:47 AM

So it is odd.

If I'm looking for a football forum my search goes like this. Denver Broncos forums.

Broncos forums, orangemane, and even the freaks pops up on the first page. Not sure what this dude is babbling about. I'm certainly no tech guru but it the official site most certainly has more traffic than here and should be listed higher.

Boobs McGee
07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
If I type in Denver Broncos Discussion, the mane is the first site that pops up...

EDIT: Same thing with "broncos discussion"

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=62

Gutless Drunk
07-16-2012, 08:58 AM
If you Google "Gutless Drunk" the mane is the first site that pops up.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-16-2012, 09:00 AM
BC has very thin skinned mods and posters. They'll ban your IP address for a G Rated spat. Then let others bash Baylin and get away with it.

I came across this board cause someone on BC board had mentioned how good it was. If someone was to google bronco boards i think they would look beyond the first couple suggestions

SonOfLe-loLang
07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
The mane also doesn't pop up on the first Google page when searching "Foneco" and "Should i move to Myrtle Beach for a girl?"

Bullsh*t!

brncs_fan
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
It doesn't come up for Khan camp report either.

Taco John
07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I wish there was a way to do a historical search to see if Mock's passing had anything to do with this.

In all seriousness, maybe TJ could let us know if the OM traffic has gone down in recent years. That would be a legitimate explanation. If not and traffic is basically the same, then an argument could certainly be made that something fishy is going on.

To answer the question, we took our biggest traffic dip during the Summer after Josh McDaniels was hired. It peaked after we went 6-0, and then dipped back down after that. His firing caused a spike, with another coming at the Elway hiring. But then things have been pretty flat with moderate spikes around certain events (Tebow definitely caused a spike).

I haven't looked at our Google results recently. I definitely are doing some things that probably hurt our google ratings. I'll have to give that a look and see what I can do to improve. All in all, we do well in traffic. We've had almost 2.5 million page views in the last year with about 25,000 unique visitors in that time. I suppose that we could be doing better, but high traffic is a blessing and a curse. I'm content to have slow, stead word of mouth growth. It's disruptive when we get floods of new people (as many of us experienced from the Tebow era - long as it lasted).

I definitely don't think anything fishy is going on. The Broncos Country forum has the power of the NFL/Broncos behind it. We're a fan operated forum without their resources. It's only natural that they'd have better Google ratings than we do.

Natedogg
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
To answer the question, we took our biggest traffic dip during the Summer after Josh McDaniels was hired. It peaked after we went 6-0, and then dipped back down after that. His firing caused a spike, with another coming at the Elway hiring. But then things have been pretty flat with moderate spikes around certain events (Tebow definitely caused a spike).

I haven't looked at our Google results recently. I definitely are doing some things that probably hurt our google ratings. I'll have to give that a look and see what I can do to improve. All in all, we do well in traffic. We've had almost 2.5 million page views in the last year with about 25,000 unique visitors in that time. I suppose that we could be doing better, but high traffic is a blessing and a curse. I'm content to have slow, stead word of mouth growth. It's disruptive when we get floods of new people (as many of us experienced from the Tebow era - long as it lasted).

I definitely don't think anything fishy is going on. The Broncos Country forum has the power of the NFL/Broncos behind it. We're a fan operated forum without their resources. It's only natural that they'd have better Google ratings than we do.

Congrats on 49,000 posts, Taco. Wow!!

Taco John
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow I didn't even notice... I'm climbing into Mock territory.

Ray Finkle
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM

does that mean you are going to start not-making sense and throwing Beezer quotes in every post?

Bacchus
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, nothing is wrong with Google. I typed in "Speaking of Butts" and the Orangemane was the first hit! Rock on Baby!!^5:militia:

Bronco Rob
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Orangemane is heads and shoulders above it's closest competitors. Been a memeber for over a decade and over that period of time even prior have been on numerous Bronco pages nothing comes close. TJ has done yeoman's work he deserves all the accolades.

Blueflame
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
My intent is not to bash Broncos Country or to incite an inter-board war - I was simply curious, is all. And I was naturally leery of asking that question over there - for at least a couple of different reasons. I was looking for an answer to my question - and I realize that there are many posters who probably belong to both boards - so I thought I could get an answer here.

And I think the fact that the most visible and active boards in fanboard-dom seem to be property of NFL teams is worth noting. There are obvious probable implications - as far as controlling content, what types of comments appear, steering the conversations in a particular direction, possible IP-tracking etc..

This board appears to be a viable board that is independent - which is great, and increasingly rare.

Maybe it was just the name "Broncos Country" that threw me off, I'm not sure - the name alone can give you the impression that it is an independent entity. Maybe I simply missed that it had the address forums.denverbroncos.com - or maybe I just didn't care until recently.

Guess it was the use of the word "rival" in the thread title that made me question the content of the thread (and the fact that you're new here ;) )...but it's never seemed to me like there was a great deal of rivalry or competition between different Broncos message boards, but of course there is a tendency to "defend" the online community that one identifies most with (as your "home" forum) and inter-forum bashing can occur.

Some posters are more comfortable with "more rules" and others prefer it less-moderated so "which one is the best fit" for any individual poster pretty much depends on personal preference and/or perhaps the thickness of one's skin (lol).

At any rate... welcome to the Mane. :wave:

Taco John
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I completely agree with that. I don't consider any of the other forums as "rivals" per se. The Internet is a big place, and there is plenty of room for different niches.

RaiderH8r
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Which really puts into perspective the volume of that dude's material. Pretty sure Beezer posted at least 30% of the time though.