PDA

View Full Version : OT- Extinctions of Wildlife

Cito Pelon
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Came across this article yesterday http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21064738/birds-get-boost-wyoming and it got me thinking about exactly how many extinctions we've seen in North America.

If it wasn't for Yellowstone being created back in 1904 the Bison would have been extinct. There was just a lone herd of 100 left alive. Same as the Trumpeter Swan in the above article. Yellowstone was one of their last refuges, I guess.

The Timber wolf was hunted to extinction, the carrier pigeon, the Eastern elk also was hunted to extinction. River otters were recently reintroduced into Colorado because they had been trapped out of existence (not extincted totally, only locally). Lynx had to be reintroduced to Colorado recently also. Wolverine used to roam the Colorado high country, none have officially been sighted since 1949.

It's gotdang sad seeing a species wiped out by us, or locally wiped out. A buddy of mine was whining about a lynx circling his tent when he was out hunting elk. He's a family member so I didn't laugh in his face. Really? You're out hunting elk with a 30.06 and you're worried about a 50 lb lynx? What's it gonna do, steal a rabbit from you? Dude's an idiot, he figured he should be able to shoot it just because.

Jay3
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
The extinctions should be sorted into "tasty" and "not tasty."

broncosteven
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
PBS here in Chicago has been replaying the Ken Burns National Parks mini series and I rewatched the one on Yellowstone/Yosemite/Mesa Verde last night.

It is sad that a country as big and vast as ours could systematically hunt species to extinction in under 20 years. Imagine waiting 3 hours for a herd of Buffalo to pass the train tracks!

The thing that struck me most was how we almost lost the Enchanted forest because people wanted to grind up the petrified logs for abrasives or hunt for quartz and make a quick couple bucks with no regard for any future generations.

One of the reasons I feel so strong about Manned spaceflight is discovering resources in other places in our solar system so we can keep the Earth's resources in tact for the future.

rugbythug
07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
The Wolf numbers are totally out of control in Yellowstone. They need to be hunted back to extinction.

Bacchus
07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Came across this article yesterday http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21064738/birds-get-boost-wyoming and it got me thinking about exactly how many extinctions we've seen in North America.

If it wasn't for Yellowstone being created back in 1904 the Bison would have been extinct. There was just a lone herd of 100 left alive. Same as the Trumpeter Swan in the above article. Yellowstone was one of their last refuges, I guess.

The Timber wolf was hunted to extinction, the carrier pigeon, the Eastern elk also was hunted to extinction. River otters were recently reintroduced into Colorado because they had been trapped out of existence (not extincted totally, only locally). Lynx had to be reintroduced to Colorado recently also. Wolverine used to roam the Colorado high country, none have officially been sighted since 1949.

It's gotdang sad seeing a species wiped out by us, or locally wiped out. A buddy of mine was whining about a lynx circling his tent when he was out hunting elk. He's a family member so I didn't laugh in his face. Really? You're out hunting elk with a 30.06 and you're worried about a 50 lb lynx? What's it gonna do, steal a rabbit from you? Dude's an idiot, he figured he should be able to shoot it just because.

Who cares about wildlife just pump that oil b1tch!!

tsiguy96
07-13-2012, 06:23 PM
my big issue with people is the fact they feel they need to control everything. nature did fine for millions of years yet now people feel they need to control their outside environment because "theres too many" or species is growing unsustainably. you think nature cant fix that issue over time?

not to mention poachers and ignorance especially in areas like china and africa where animals get hunted to extinction because they have mystical magical properties.

DarkHorse30
07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
The Wolf numbers are totally out of control in Yellowstone. They need to be hunted back to extinction.

bada bing.

Unfortunately, the "smart ones" who re-introduced the wolves into the Rockies picked the wrong wolf to do it with.

Natural selection theorizes some individuals will survive and reproduce more successfully than others in their current environment thereby creating a population well adapted to their environment. Canis lupus occidentalis and canis lupus columbianus are adapted to ecosystems far to the north of the American Rocky Mountains. They are a much larger subspecies than canis lupus irremotus and they hunt in much larger packs. Canis lupus irremotus usually hunted in packs of two animals. Canis lupus occidentalis is the wolf of the Alaska tundra. It is a super sized, super hunter that hunts in very large packs following the caribou herds across thousands of miles. How could anyone in their right mind introduce canis lupus occidentalis (Mackenzie Valley Wolf) into the lower 48 stateshttp://explorethebitterroot.com/the-wolf-pulled-over-our-eyes

Pontius Pirate
07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
No big deal guys. Just an anthropomorphic mass extinction of the grandest scale. Just homoecophagus metastasizing right in front of us and overtaking the earths natural defenses. Cities are tumors, roads are malignant veins, etc. Entropy. Despair. End of days.

Go Broncos!

Vegas_Bronco
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Grizzly Adams and Big Ben approve the contents of this thread.

Dedhed
07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
The extinctions should be sorted into "tasty" and "not tasty."
It always strikes me as odd when people find the destruction of that which makes our own existence possible amusing.

Aftermath
07-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup, our society is filled with complete morons. There is no regard for animal life today. Hunters think they are manly because they can kill a defenseless animal with a rifle lol and then post the pictures on Facebook. In most cases I'd rather have a human die instead of an animal lol. I guess people nowadays just stay inside checking status updates instead of enjoying nature and the outdoors.

Meck77
07-13-2012, 10:25 PM
bada bing.

Unfortunately, the "smart ones" who re-introduced the wolves into the Rockies picked the wrong wolf to do it with.

http://explorethebitterroot.com/the-wolf-pulled-over-our-eyes

That's the thing. You have humans "picking" what to save and what to kill. Basic example. In Colorado Rainbow trout are regulated and even protected in gold medal waters (meaning catch and release only). Go to WY and they want fisherman to kill Rainbow trout as they are trying to protect the Cutthroat trout.

I can sum it up like the song goes.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.....

Pontius Pirate
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
"I say let's take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

- Ripley

Archer81
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Yup, our society is filled with complete morons. There is no regard for animal life today. Hunters think they are manly because they can kill a defenseless animal with a rifle lol and then post the pictures on Facebook. In most cases I'd rather have a human die instead of an animal lol. I guess people nowadays just stay inside checking status updates instead of enjoying nature and the outdoors.

Charming.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
07-14-2012, 05:48 AM
RIP Martha! Mmmmmm Pigeon wings!

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Hell yes!

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Who cares about liberals just pump that oil b1tch!! DRILL BABY DRILL!

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 07:28 AM

You are a FUCHKING TOOL!

RaiderH8r
07-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Oil rigs do hunt the **** out of a herd.

Also...oil saved the whales. Until crude oil was widely used for whale oil was used and whales were on the verge of extinction so crude oil saved more whales than those knuckle dragging slapdicks on Whale Wars ever have.

RaiderH8r
07-14-2012, 07:34 AM

Hell, I haven't shot a critter in years but I am putting in for all my tags this year because of you. Thanks.

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Yeesh. But it's rugbythug, so not a surprise. What else do you think should be hunted to extinction?

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
bada bing.

http://explorethebitterroot.com/the-wolf-pulled-over-our-eyes

Yeah, well, they didn't have a lot of choices did they since local populations were wiped out.

Dedhed
07-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Who cares about liberals just pump that oil b1tch!! DRILL BABY DRILL!
You sound like one of those guys who drives a giant "American made" (read Chinese) truck and buys gobs of middle eastern oil to support your dim witted notion that the "American Dream" means pissing wherever you want.

ohiobronco2
07-14-2012, 10:37 AM
"I say let's take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

- Ripley

F****** A

-Pvt. Hudson

ohiobronco2
07-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Oil rigs do hunt the **** out of a herd.

Also...oil saved the whales. Until crude oil was widely used for whale oil was used and whales were on the verge of extinction so crude oil saved more whales than those knuckle dragging slap***** on Whale Wars ever have.

I still use whale oil to heat/power my house. That's how I roll.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
You sound like one of those guys who drives a giant "American made" (read Chinese) truck and buys gobs of middle eastern oil to support your dim witted notion that the "American Dream" means pissing wherever you want.

Actually, I was referring to drilling in America so we don't have to rely on foreign oil. Your response is what is dim witted.

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
That's the thing. You have humans "picking" what to save and what to kill. Basic example. In Colorado Rainbow trout are regulated and even protected in gold medal waters (meaning catch and release only). Go to WY and they want fisherman to kill Rainbow trout as they are trying to protect the Cutthroat trout.

I can sum it up like the song goes.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.....

Native species is what it's about. Reintroducing or restoring them.

Dedhed
07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Actually, I was referring to drilling in America so we don't have to rely on foreign oil. Your response is what is dim witted.

Ahh, the "I know you are but what am I" response. Good one!

If you actually believe that we have the ability to not be reliant on foreign oil, then you are completely ignorant of the reality of the oil commodity industry.

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 12:11 PM

If you actually believe that we have the ability to not be reliant on foreign oil, then you are completely ignorant of the reality of the oil commodity industry.

Eh, dude's pissed off at "liberals" for some reason. Probably pissed off at environmentalists and tree-huggers also. Never mind it was those same people that kept and keep the high country wild and natural for his enjoyment.

DENVERDUI55
07-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Too bad they don't have tags for people like u.

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Too bad they don't have tags for people like u.

And you.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Oh what was i thinking! You must be an expert on oil and the likes, I guess what they say is true, ignorance is bliss.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Eh, dude's pissed off at "liberals" for some reason. Probably pissed off at environmentalists and tree-huggers also. Never mind it was those same people that kept and keep the high country wild and natural for his enjoyment.

Damn right i am pissed off at environmentalists and treehuggers. They are the idiots that are pushing for the reintroduction of wolves in colorado, like they have in other western states. People killed them off for a reason.

Cito Pelon
07-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Damn right i am pissed off at environmentalists and treehuggers. They are the idiots that are pushing for the reintroduction of wolves in colorado, like they have in other western states. People killed them off for a reason.

If you're scared of wolves and bears, maybe you should stay out of the high country.

houghtam
07-14-2012, 05:02 PM
If you're scared of wolves and bears, maybe you should stay out of the high country.

LOL exactly.

Wildlife overpopulation? Hmmm, no...how about human encroachment. You've got every right to live wherever the hell you want. Just don't get pissed when the bears want to eat you.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 05:26 PM

I hunt them and i eat them (bears), but i am still afraid of them, and anyone who says they are not is a damn liar. Wolves are surplus killers and very dangerous to everything they encounter, they severely impact the areas where they have been released into, dropping elk herd numbers by the hundreds in most areas. Ranchers lose alot of cattle (their livelihood) to wolves every year just because some hippies want to balance the ecosystem that man has already balanced. I am curious, what are your interests when you travel into the back country?

maher_tyler
07-14-2012, 05:41 PM
my big issue with people is the fact they feel they need to control everything. nature did fine for millions of years yet now people feel they need to control their outside environment because "theres too many" or species is growing unsustainably. you think nature cant fix that issue over time?

not to mention poachers and ignorance especially in areas like china and africa where animals get hunted to extinction because they have mystical magical properties.

Nature will have the last laugh...

Boobs McGee
07-14-2012, 05:58 PM

Lol...part of enjoying nature is hunting your food. If I like to go camp with my buddies, bring down a massive elk that'll save me hundreds of dollars in meat, have a helluva grest time doing it, and post pictures afterward, im completely in the right.

rugbythug
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeesh. But it's rugbythug, so not a surprise. What else do you think should be hunted to extinction?

Lets not let my superior intellect or facts get in the way pray tel what was the solid reasoning that thought introducing a thriving Alpha Predator into a stable ecosystem was needed?

rugbythug
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM

I am scared of Vatos and Crips yet still make trips to Wal-Mart.

Houshyamama
07-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, well, they didn't have a lot of choices did they since local populations were wiped out.

He's actually right. The wolf should have never been reintroduced into the lower 48. Man has changed the dynamics of herd movement, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for them. They kill and kill and kill, they're decimating elk populations.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I am scared of Vatos and Crips yet still make trips to Wal-Mart.

:rofl:

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
He's actually right. The wolf should have never been reintroduced into the lower 48. Man has changed the dynamics of herd movement, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for them. They kill and kill and kill, they're decimating elk populations.

100% agreed. 100% the truth.

RaiderH8r
07-14-2012, 07:33 PM

We need to reintroduce them to Central Park. It was part fmthe wolves' range at one time.

DarkHorse30
07-14-2012, 08:30 PM

So.....do something anyway? Even if it's the WRONG thing to do? What planet are you inhabiting?

Dedhed
07-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Apparently I am talking way over your head here. You clearly have no concept about American Supply potential vs American Demand.

Dedhed
07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Lets not let my superior intellect or facts get in the way pray tel what was the solid reasoning that thought introducing a thriving Alpha Predator into a stable ecosystem was needed?

It was probably similar to the rationale behind removing Alpha predators from a stable and thriving ecosystem.

DarkHorse30
07-14-2012, 09:15 PM
It was probably similar to the rationale behind removing Alpha predators from a stable and thriving ecosystem.

it wasn't a rationale.....and the "fix" isn't rational. Leave it alone, and let nature take it's course.....it knows what it's doing.

Kaylore
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Hunters are among the largest contributors to protecting open space. You won't hear that brought up too much though. It makes it harder to demonize them.

Kaylore
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
In most cases I'd rather have a human die instead of an animal lol.

You post this and finish with an LOL? You are twisted.

HighCountryBronco
07-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Hunters are among the largest contributors to protecting open space. You won't hear that brought up too much though. It makes it harder to demonize them.

^This! Best post in this thread.

HighCountryBronco
07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Apparently I am talking way over your head here. You clearly have no concept about American Supply potential vs American Demand.

Why don't you give me a lesson then, son.

Bacchus
07-15-2012, 12:54 AM

You are an idiot.

You do realize that oil is on a world market right? Did you know the U.S. is producing more oil than ever? Did you know the U.S. is EXPORTING more oil than ever to other countries?? The more oil we drill here has no impact on oil prices here because it just means more oil will be exported.

You can google this stuff if you actually would like to learn something. You "drill baby drill people" make me laugh at your ignorance.

Jay3
07-15-2012, 05:14 AM
You are an idiot.

You do realize that oil is on a world market right? Did you know the U.S. is producing more oil than ever? Did you know the U.S. is EXPORTING more oil than ever to other countries?? The more oil we drill here has no impact on oil prices here because it just means more oil will be exported.

You can google this stuff if you actually would like to learn something. You "drill baby drill people" make me laugh at your ignorance.

Do you laugh at Obama for making energy independence a goal in this "world market?"

We export refined oil products, such as gasoline. We still consume more crude than we drill.

HighCountryBronco
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
You are an idiot.

Your off base with what i was referring to. I am saying we need to be more independent and rely on our own resources, never said one thing about lower prices, although that would be nice. Drilling puts people back to work, therefore, creating jobs in a sh1t economy. It is a win-win situation. This country needs to build more refineries and drill the sh1t out of oil and natural gas. If you don't think drilling here reduces our dependency on foreign oil, even with EXPORTING, then you are an idiot. DRILL BABY DRILL!

Meck77
07-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Amen. If only there were permits to hunt idiots. We'd fix this country in just a few seasons. ;)

Cito Pelon
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I hunt them and i eat them (bears), but i am still afraid of them, and anyone who says they are not is a damn liar. Wolves are surplus killers and very dangerous to everything they encounter, they severely impact the areas where they have been released into, dropping elk herd numbers by the hundreds in most areas. Ranchers lose alot of cattle (their livelihood) to wolves every year just because some hippies want to balance the ecosystem that man has already balanced. I am curious, what are your interests when you travel into the back country?

Yeah, it's tough to reintroduce wolves everywhere, not just because they reduce elk herds, but because of the freerange cattle issues you mentioned. Elk, deer, wolf, moose, grizzlies, etc coexisted for thousands of years, so in certain areas (like Yelowstone, which is a refuge of sorts and should be natural) I don't have a problem with wolves. I lean toward restoring native species. Not that it's my decision, and it's a tough decision to make.

And yeah I'm certainly scared of bears. Just think if the grizzly was reintroduced to it's former range, yeesh, that would thin out the human expeditions to the high country.

Speaking of moose, those also had to be restored in Colorado. I'm saying it's a shame we got to the point where there had to be reintroduction of native species because of over-trapping, over-hunting, introduction of non-native species, or habitat loss.

I mostly go fishing for cutthroats (which also needed a massive restoration project), some small-game hunting. I don't mind big-game hunting, although I'm too lazy to do it myself.

I'm not sure the point in hunting bear, I've always heard they don't taste that good unless it's as stew meat. Same with hunting cougars, unless it's for predation it's just trophy hunting for a thrill. Same with bighorn sheep (which also needed intervention to survive), it's just trophy hunting, IMO.

The list goes on and on. Bald eagles were nearly wiped out not just through DDT, but bounty hunting also. Golden eagle also had bounties on them for some reason.

Meck77
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
And yeah I'm certainly scared of bears. Just think if the grizzly was reintroduced to it's former range, yeesh, that would thin out the human expeditions to the high country.

Speaking of moose, those also had to be restored in Colorado. I'm saying it's a shame we got to the point where there had to be reintroduction of native species because of over-trapping, over-hunting, introduction of non-native species, or habitat loss.

I mostly go fishing for cutthroats (which also needed a massive restoration project), some small-game hunting. I don't mind big-game hunting, although I'm too lazy to do it myself.

I'm not sure the point in hunting bear, I've always heard they don't taste that good unless it's as stew meat. Same with hunting cougars, unless it's for predation it's just trophy hunting for a thrill. Same with bighorn sheep (which also needed intervention to survive), it's just trophy hunting, IMO.

The list goes on and on. Bald eagles were nearly wiped out not just through DDT, but bounty hunting also. Golden eagle also had bounties on them for some reason.

Scared of bear? I've seen them in the woods albeit rare. Every time I've seen them they cut and run. Moose? That's another story. They stand their ground and if you spook one with a calf I've heard/read they are more dangerous than any other animal that roams America.

I was hiking along when I accidentally came up on a moose with a calf. She started snorting and jumping around wildly. I'm pretty quick but the reality is had she charged me she probably would have gored my ass to a tree. I backed off and luckily so did she.

Your chances of getting jacked on Colfax, the 16th st mall or at a Raider game are much much greater than a bear or other wild creature ever hurting you.

Cito Pelon
07-15-2012, 01:19 PM

That's a good point. Ok, then there can be wolf licenses issued. Once we changed the balance of nature, we tried to bring some native species back, but we will have to continue to manage all the species populations.

It's a complicated issue, and there has to be compromise between the various interests.

Cito Pelon
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Hunters are also what wiped out the Eastern elk, the carrier pigeon, almost wiped out the Bison, it goes both ways. You're right that some hunting and fishing organizations do their share to maintain habitat and certain populations that they are interested in. But, the "enviromentalist" is actually a much greater contributor to open space and wild lands.

Cito Pelon
07-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Amen. If only there were permits to hunt idiots. We'd fix this country in just a few seasons. ;)

This is just stupid. Why even post something like this? Don't be a jackass. You sure you want to go there? You might be one of them that gets hunted. Just plain stupid.

rugbythug
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it's tough to reintroduce wolves everywhere, not just because they reduce elk herds, but because of the freerange cattle issues you mentioned. Elk, deer, wolf, moose, grizzlies, etc coexisted for thousands of years, so in certain areas (like Yelowstone, which is a refuge of sorts and should be natural) I don't have a problem with wolves. I lean toward restoring native species. Not that it's my decision, and it's a tough decision to make.

Bear taste terrible you are not required to eat them nor take out the carcasses. However hunting bear is the best way to control population. Bears are certainly a nuisance here in CO where they have all but removed every type of control.

The difference you will have with most folks is where you value people. I put people higher than animals and make no apologies for that.

Grizzlies and Wolves are a pain and out of control in the Rockies surrounding Yellowstone. They have no fear of people and kill and eat as they wish. A neighbor in Wyoming found a Elk carcass in which the Wolves killed a cow and ate only the fetus. This is a problem. Grizzlies have driven hunters out of the area in Droves, they now are trained as soon as they hear a gunshot they come running. They charge hunters and take the carcass away from them. This is a problem.

Wolves were eradicated by our ancestors not because our ancestors were stupid but rather because they valued they very things that the Wolf ate, thus they were a competitor and were removed.

Meck77
07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
This is just stupid. Why even post something like this? Don't be a jackass. You sure you want to go there? You might be one of them that gets hunted. Just plain stupid.

To piss off stupid people who can't comprehend or read.

;) <-------------------------------------------- Did you see this at the end of my comment?

I'm not the moron who said he was afraid of bears. THAT in and of itself is stupid. You should be more afraid to get behind the wheel of your car or maybe what you had for lunch or the 100 things you encountered today that could cause cancer! Bears? Don't be such a girl.

Houshyamama
07-15-2012, 05:37 PM
That's a good point. Ok, then there can be wolf licenses issued. Once we changed the balance of nature, we tried to bring some native species back, but we will have to continue to manage all the species populations.

It's a complicated issue, and there has to be compromise between the various interests.

This seems like the logical next step, however, wolves are EXTREMELY hard to hunt. They know you're coming before you get in your truck. They can be hunted from helicopters, but that is a ridiculously expensive method of hunting. This is the problem westerners faced when the wolves were initially wiped out. They can be trapped, but imagine PETA getting involved with that. Back in the day, they used to throw 5-6 grappling hooks chained together and covered in meat into a wolf den with cubs. The cubs would eat the meat and get hooked and die of starvation. The decimation of wolves was a brutal operation. They can't be hunted to maintain population levels because they are too hard to kill with conventional hunting. It's an either/or situation with wolves when western civilization is involved. We have a bad situation on our hands.

WoodMan
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
On the brighter side. My wife and I saw three moose while camping down by Lake City, CO last month. I was really amazing to see moose again in CO as they were being reintroduced in the mid 80s just before I moved out of CO. I would guess you can see them up around Walden also. They used to walk through the town I lived in in WYO in the winter. Awesome! All of you who live in CO live in one beautiful place. Take advantage of it while you can :thumbsup: We saw three moose the next day too, but probably the same three.

Houshyamama
07-15-2012, 07:37 PM
On the brighter side. My wife and I saw three moose while camping down by Lake City, CO last month. I was really amazing to see moose again in CO as they were being reintroduced in the mid 80s just before I moved out of CO. I would guess you can see them up around Walden also. They used to walk through the town I lived in in WYO in the winter. Awesome! All of you who live in CO live in one beautiful place. Take advantage of it while you can :thumbsup: We saw three moose the next day too, but probably the same three.

I saw a bull driving through Rocky Mountain National Park a few years ago, that was pretty cool.

Jay3
07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I saw a moose and there was a baby and the baby looked at me.

Dukes
07-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Proof? Link? Anything to back that up?

DENVERDUI55
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Hunters are also what wiped out the Eastern elk, the carrier pigeon, almost wiped out the Bison, it goes both ways. You're right that some hunting and fishing organizations do their share to maintain habitat and certain populations that they are interested in. But, the "enviromentalist" is actually a much greater contributor to open space and wild lands.

Show me some facts to support your Treehugging claims. Hunters contribute more money and revenue for wildlife management than anyone.

JJG
07-16-2012, 11:19 AM
This seems like the logical next step, however, wolves are EXTREMELY hard to hunt. They know you're coming before you get in your truck. They can be hunted from helicopters, but that is a ridiculously expensive method of hunting. This is the problem westerners faced when the wolves were initially wiped out. They can be trapped, but imagine PETA getting involved with that. Back in the day, they used to throw 5-6 grappling hooks chained together and covered in meat into a wolf den with cubs. The cubs would eat the meat and get hooked and die of starvation. The decimation of wolves was a brutal operation. They can't be hunted to maintain population levels because they are too hard to kill with conventional hunting. It's an either/or situation with wolves when western civilization is involved. We have a bad situation on our hands.

They have been issuing wolf tags here in Idaho for the last couple years. You right though, they do seem extremely hard to hunt. I don't think they have killed as many as they wanted yet.

Houshyamama
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
They have been issuing wolf tags here in Idaho for the last couple years. You right though, they do seem extremely hard to hunt. I don't think they have killed as many as they wanted yet.

Yeah, I haven't hunted them myself though. Just relaying what I've heard from my co-workers in Montana, who spend most of their time out in the wild doing bio surveys and hunting.

Bacchus
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Show me some facts to support your Treehugging claims. Hunters contribute more money and revenue for wildlife management than anyone.

It is not hunters as it is lax laws. If the federal government would have protected these species earlier and made it illegal to hunt them then they probably would not have become extinct. You can not blame hunters for killing any animal they see if it is legal because morally most of them do not care enough not to pull the trigger on something even if they know it to be endangered if it is still legal to kill them.

DENVERDUI55
07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
It is not hunters as it is lax laws. If the federal government would have protected these species earlier and made it illegal to hunt them then they probably would not have become extinct. You can not blame hunters for killing any animal they see if it is legal because morally most of them do not care enough not to pull the trigger on something even if they know it to be endangered if it is still legal to kill them.

You should research where money comes from for wildlife management. Nothing is funnier than anti hunters or people that don't hunt explain how it all goes down when people go hunting. What animal in the US became extinct because of hunting?

DENVERDUI55
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM

That is why it is called hunting. Coyotes can be tough to get at times.

Jay3
07-16-2012, 05:43 PM
What animal in the US became extinct because of hunting?

I think bison or buffalo. Tree huggers cherish that instance, love to revel in it and relive it over and over. But it was more a case of where there was no wildlife management. The Indians killed a lot of them, too.

WoodMan
07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I think bison or buffalo. Tree huggers cherish that instance, love to revel in it and relive it over and over. But it was more a case of where there was no wildlife management. The Indians killed a lot of them, too.

Plenty of Bison walking around Yellowstone right now?

Jay3
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM

You're making my mouth water for some bison tongue.

The rest is nasty, though. Throw it in a pile.

broncosteven
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM

The difference is the Indians lived here for millennia but it only took us honkeys 20 years to hunt them to near extinction.

Jay3
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
The difference is the Indians lived here for millennia but it only took us honkeys 20 years to hunt them to near extinction.

I am a black woman.

Jay3
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Okay, not really. There is bison blood on my hands.

DENVERDUI55
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM

The bison that the indians would run them off cliffs and kill them by the herds? White man killed plenty too. That was before wildlife management that we have these days. There are far from extinct. You can hunt them if you can draw a tag. Talk about a tough hunt they are tough in the wild.

DarkHorse30
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM

no. Both bison and elk are down in the park...the numbers cycle but the wolves aren't helping as they do kill for sport (contrary to "wolfer"'s:) claims)
try this link...you won't like it http://www.saveelk.com/wolf_006.htm

Jay3
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
The bison that the indians would run them off cliffs and kill them by the herds? White man killed plenty too. That was before wildlife management that we have these days. There are far from extinct. You can hunt them if you can draw a tag. Talk about a tough hunt they are tough in the wild.

Sure, Indians and white people are all people. American bison is just the only animal I can think of nearly wiped out by hunting.

Deer are like giant rabbits with hooves. They would overrun us in about 6 months if not for hunting.

Aftermath
07-17-2012, 12:39 AM
You are a FUCHKING TOOL!

Yes and I Would LOVE to see your weak ass get mauled by a bear. Shooting deer or rabbit for food is perfectly fine, it's the douchebags like yourself that think your manly for shooting bigger game is what's embarrassing.

Aftermath
07-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Hell, I haven't shot a critter in years but I am putting in for all my tags this year because of you. Thanks.

Cool bro, I care?!?!? Venison is the bomb.

HighCountryBronco
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes and I Would LOVE to see your weak ass get mauled by a bear. Shooting deer or rabbit for food is perfectly fine, it's the douchebags like yourself that think your manly for shooting bigger game is what's embarrassing.

Hahaha! If the "bigger game" didn't need killing, they wouldn't issue tags for them. I eat everything i kill, and waste as little as possible. I completely respect the wildlife that i kill, and most times, spend a little extra time skinning so i can have a nice hide as well. People like you get mauled by bears, while people like me have to track that bear down and kill it. Good luck next time in the backcountry.

RaiderH8r
07-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Cool bro, I care?!?!? Venison is the bomb.

Deer is ass meat. I had to eat that **** growing up. All the time. Whatever the old man killed in the fall we ate for the rest of the year and deer and antelope were the cheapest. Hate that ****.

I'm taking my BFGs on safari. I have a goal to kill at least one of everything.

RaiderH8r
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Hahaha! If the "bigger game" didn't need killing, they wouldn't issue tags for them. I eat everything i kill, and waste as little as possible. I completely respect the wildlife that i kill, and most times, spend a little extra time skinning so i can have a nice hide as well. People like you get mauled by bears, while people like me have to track that bear down and kill it. Good luck next time in the backcountry.

You're a good guy. The ONLY reason I hunt deer anymore is because I hate those f'ing critters. They're awful animals that have overpopulated and need to go.

Aftermath
07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
You're a good guy. The ONLY reason I hunt deer anymore is because I hate those f'ing critters. They're awful animals that have overpopulated and need to go.

Yeah they're overpopulated because we (humans) keep chopping down their forests to build more and more houses. But whatever, I'm far from a treehugger, I just want these animals to be around for future generations. I do however get very angry when people torture and abuse animals. I live near Detroit and those peons treat their dogs like slaves, it's despicable. THOSE are the humans(if you want to call them that) that I'd much rather watch die than an innocent animal.

HighCountryBronco
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I grew up on it also, whatever my dad killed, that is what we ate for the winter. I have to say, whitetail is so much better than mule deer, but i like it all. My favorite big game animal believe it or not is black bear, prepared properly, it is very good and nothing like what most people think. Tastes alot like roast beef once you boil the grease off.

Cito Pelon
07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
You should research where money comes from for wildlife management. Nothing is funnier than anti hunters or people that don't hunt explain how it all goes down when people go hunting. What animal in the US became extinct because of hunting?

The Eastern Timber wolf, passenger pigeon, Eastern elk.

Cito Pelon
07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Deer is ass meat. I had to eat that **** growing up. All the time. Whatever the old man killed in the fall we ate for the rest of the year and deer and antelope were the cheapest. Hate that ****.

I'm taking my BFGs on safari. I have a goal to kill at least one of everything.

STFU, tool.

Archer81
07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah they're overpopulated because we (humans) keep chopping down their forests to build more and more houses. But whatever, I'm far from a treehugger, I just want these animals to be around for future generations. I do however get very angry when people torture and abuse animals. I live near Detroit and those peons treat their dogs like slaves, it's despicable. THOSE are the humans(if you want to call them that) that I'd much rather watch die than an innocent animal.

Deer herds where I am at are too large for the area, and frequently end up starving during the winter. Generally because they hide on federally protected lands, which prohibits hunting.

So the deer dont get shot. But they starve to death.

Yay wildlife.

ZONA
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I heard something on a documentary that the Japs slaughter millions of sharks a year just for the fins. Yes, that was Millions. Fuggin unreal. It's like the Americans of the wild west 100 years ago when they shot Bison just for target practice. Because nothing says your an accurate gunsman quite like shotting a Bison who is standing still eating grass. Losers. Humans suck. :rofl:

tsiguy96
07-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I heard something on a documentary that the Japs slaughter millions of sharks a year just for the fins. Yes, that was Millions. Fuggin unreal. It's like the Americans of the wild west 100 years ago when they shot Bison just for target practice. Because nothing says your an accurate gunsman quite like shotting a Bison who is standing still eating grass. Losers. Humans suck. :rofl:

not just that, alot of times they cut the fin off then drop the shark back in, its called shark finning. then the shark drowns and is eaten alive by smaller fish.

same thing with people who go and kill elephants and lions and stuff, whats the point? you are shooting an animal from hundreds of yards away that has no potential self defense, yet somehow its the popular thing to do?

you are right, humans do suck.

broncocalijohn
07-17-2012, 09:47 PM

I doubt he has a ****ing clue what is a tag and what it is used for. Hunters are conservationist. To a probable hippie vegan like Aftermath, that might sound like an oxymoron.

broncocalijohn
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Deer herds where I am at are too large for the area, and frequently end up starving during the winter. Generally because they hide on federally protected lands, which prohibits hunting.

Yay wildlife.

My Dad did a report in college on this back around 1970-72. It was a federal area around North or South Dakota in the 30s that went from conservation hunting to overpopulation to death of almost all deer because someone thought it would be a great idea to stop hunting them all together. Thank God people like Aftermath are not in charge of conservation for our country. I swear, if you refer Bambi when talking about hunting or deer should refrain from speaking another word on the matter.
Venison taste good in chili btw. Just as long as it isnt too gamey.

DENVERDUI55
07-17-2012, 10:27 PM
These tree huggers would rather let 250 elk starve to death than manage the herd down to 200 if that is all the food in winter range will sustain. People kill more animals with housing than anything.

HighCountryBronco
07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
These tree huggers would rather let 250 elk starve to death than manage the herd down to 200 if that is all the food in winter range will sustain. People kill more animals with housing than anything.

Yeah, that and the reintroduction of wolves.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah, that and the reintroduction of wolves.

Where's Sarah Palin when you need her?

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I doubt he has a ****ing clue what is a tag and what it is used for. Hunters are conservationist. To a probable hippie vegan like Aftermath, that might sound like an oxymoron.

Vegan lol. I dont even know how to eat a vegatable. At least Im secure enough of a man that I dont have to go shoot big dumb defenceless animals that are standing still. Boy with your insecurity you must be lacking somewhere else.

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 03:05 PM
You probably drive a HUGE truck too, you badass.

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh and like i previously said, deer hunting is completely fine. I love venison, I just think your a fuhking tool if you trophy hunt and not for food. And you are either a puss or have a small penis. Have a nice day

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Dude its for the thrill of the hunt man. Ya its so effin thrilling sitting in a blind/stand waiting hours for a dumb deer to come to you. Lol morons

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh and "goodluck in the back country" rofl you fuhkin' suck so bad.

DENVERDUI55
07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Dude its for the thrill of the hunt man. Ya its so effin thrilling sitting in a blind/stand waiting hours for a dumb deer to come to you. Lol morons

Another clueless poster. A man only has two natural instincts and hunting is one. Sorry you missed out. Funny you think it is so easy to kill a buck deer.

broncocalijohn
07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh and like i previously said, deer hunting is completely fine. I love venison, I just think your a fuhking tool if you trophy hunt and not for food. And you are either a puss or have a small penis. Have a nice day

Not sure if this is what you mean......

broncocalijohn
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM

or this ^ ? I do know you must be mad responding instead of 1 post but 5 different ones. Nice going hypocrite. He wants his deer meat and other meats but he prefers it slaughtered but have them farm animals nice and close to the other walking dead.

Cito Pelon
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Yay wildlife.

Uh, where exactly are those federally protected lands near Florence? It's probably 90% private property around there. I'm with Aftermath, more native wildlife, less people.

HighCountryBronco
07-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Where's Sarah Palin when you need her?

I know, right?

HighCountryBronco
07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Usually, to be against something as much as you seem to be (hunting), one would have to have some knowledge of the subject. You clearly don't. You claim to like venison, yet you hate hunters and hunting as far as anyone can tell, so who is the real moron? I can promise you deer, or any big game animal for that matter, are not dumb. I don't know, maybe it's just you. :thumbs:

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Sure, Indians and white people are all people. American bison is just the only animal I can think of nearly wiped out by hunting.

Deer are like giant rabbits with hooves. They would overrun us in about 6 months if not for hunting.

Well, the bald eagle came close to extinction not only because of DDT, but also hunting. There was bounties on bald eagle, and golden eagle also.

There's also the category of local extinctions. Like I said above the river otter was trapped out (that qualifies as hunting) in Colorado, had to be reintroduced. Moose were pretty much wiped out in Colorado, had to be reintroduced. The lynx was trapped/hunted out of existence in Colorado, had to be reintroduced. There hasn't been a wolverine officially sighted in Colorado since 1949. Native cutthroat trout have been decimated by the introduction of non-native species like the German Brown trout, the rainbow, and the brook trout. The Colorado Whitefish the same.

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM

SOME hunters are conservationists. I see people above complaining that wolves are surplus hunters, well some human hunters are like that also.

Is it ok to let humans be surplus hunters, but not wolves?

DENVERDUI55
07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
SOME hunters are conservationists. I see people above complaining that wolves are surplus hunters, well some human hunters are like that also.

Wolves have bag limits?

broncocalijohn
07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Usually, to be against something as much as you seem to be (hunting), one would have to have some knowledge of the subject. You clearly don't. You claim to like venison, yet you hate hunters and hunting as far as anyone can tell, so who is the real moron? I can promise you deer, or any big game animal for that matter, are not dumb. I don't know, maybe it's just you. :thumbs:

Well, to be fair, he only eats venison when the deer walks up to a butcher and dies right there of old age. Then he is ok to eat it.

broncocalijohn
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM

we are not talking about pouchers, we are talking about hunters. I play nerf football with my boys on the street but I am not considered a football player.

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Wolves have bag limits?

SOME hunters don't pay attention to bag limits, fishermen also. You know that as well as I do. Don't play dumb.

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
we are not talking about pouchers, we are talking about hunters. I play nerf football with my boys on the street but I am not considered a football player.

I know a hunter that thinks he should get 5 deer tags a year in 4 different states. I know a hunter that was so pissed off he didn't see an elk all day he took a shot at one 500 yds away over a canyon. Had no chance of recovering it, but wounded it so it could die a slow death. There's responsible hunters, and there's people that just want to shoot something. Don't don't get up on your high horse and pretend differently.

DENVERDUI55
07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
SOME hunters don't pay attention to bag limits, fishermen also. You know that as well as I do. Don't play dumb.

Don't loop us all in with irresponsible poachers. Hunters do 1000x more good for wildlife conservation than tree hugging hippies. They donate a lot of hours, feed deer and elk when snow is too deep covering their food. Lock up areas and conserve wetlands to keep them wild, and the amount of money raised vs sierra club isn't even close. Why didn't you mention wood ducks, Canada geese, elk, big horn sheep, pheasants and many other animals that hunters have helped. That is a small handful and guess what we kill a ton of them every year. That is only a small part of hunting but that is all you whack job hippies think hunting is is the same as slaughtering sheep, pigs or the "grass feed"beef you feed your familys.

Cito Pelon
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't loop us all in with irresponsible poachers. Hunters do 1000x more good for wildlife conservation than tree hugging hippies. They donate a lot of hours, feed deer and elk when snow is too deep covering their food. Lock up areas and conserve wetlands to keep them wild, and the amount of money raised vs sierra club isn't even close. Why didn't you mention wood ducks, Canada geese, elk, big horn sheep, pheasants and many other animals that hunters have helped. That is a small handful and guess what we kill a ton of them every year. That is only a small part of hunting but that is all you whack job hippies think hunting is is the same as slaughtering sheep, pigs or the "grass feed"beef you feed your familys.

Yeesh. Got your oats off there finally? Relax, nobody is against hunting. Damn, you and some others got some major sand in your . . . . .

broncocalijohn
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeesh. Got your oats off there finally? Relax, nobody is against hunting. Damn, you and some others got some major sand in your . . . . .

you mean aftermath and his 5 or 6 posts in a row? Yeah, that is sand in a stinky vagina.

Every tag helps contribute to conservation funds.

HighCountryBronco
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Well, to be fair, he only eats venison when the deer walks up to a butcher and dies right there of old age. Then he is ok to eat it.

Well, he is either a liar, or a hypocrite.

HighCountryBronco
07-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I know a hunter that thinks he should get 5 deer tags a year in 4 different states. I know a hunter that was so pissed off he didn't see an elk all day he took a shot at one 500 yds away over a canyon. Had no chance of recovering it, but wounded it so it could die a slow death. There's responsible hunters, and there's people that just want to shoot something. Don't don't get up on your high horse and pretend differently.

As long as the animals don't go to waste there is nothing wrong with killing more than 1 as long as it is legal. If the elk story is true, that sucks. I would never hunt with an idiot like that. But in reality, there is only a small fraction of people that would do something stupid like that.