PDA

View Full Version : Oz, the Great and Powerful

houghtam
07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H9ZTP2k0DRc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I haven't been this excited about a movie in a few years. Yes, yes, I know there will be a lot of lame "Sam Raimi's going to screw it up like he did Spiderman" and "Alice and Wonderland sucked" comments, but this movie looks amazing, IMO.

To me, the neatest thing about The Wizard of Oz wasn't the munchkins or the witch or the tin man, it was the fact that the movie basically shows Munchkinland and the path to Oz, and that's it...there's a whole world there to be explored.

I haven't read Wicked, but I may just pick it up. Interesting to find out whether this movie will be based on any of that lore.

Beantown Bronco
07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Mila Kunis stars in it; therefore, Beantown will see it.

houghtam
07-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Mila Kunis stars in it; therefore, Beantown will see it.

Yes. Yes she does. I heard a rumor that she goes down on Glinda. She has an image to uphold, you know!

Beantown Bronco
07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
In all seriousness, this should be a spectacle. Same guy who did the visuals and 3D for Prometheus is working on this one, so it should be first rate. Add to that a solid cast. As long as the script is decent, this has the potential to be really, really good.

broncosteven
07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Yes. Yes she does. I heard a rumor that she goes down on Glinda. She has an image to uphold, you know!

The only thing that would make this better would be if Gene delivered a pizza while Glinda and Mila were going at it and then...

waka chukka waka chukka DA! waka chukka waka chukka da, da, dah dum. DA! waka chukka waka chukka...

Broncobiv
07-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Dang, I actually thought this was gonna be a thread with a cool video about our QBOTF.

Agamemnon
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Once again, Hollywood trying to cash in on old ideas rather than coming up with new ones. It's getting old.

BroncoBen
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Once again, Hollywood trying to cash in on old ideas rather than coming up with new ones. It's getting old.

I kinda of agree with you.. 'When Hollywood runs out of ideas'.

broncosteven
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Normally I would agree with you, if this had been a comment based on the Spiderman or ST reboots.

In this case this case Frank L Baum wrote many OZ books and this film is based off the Wonderful Wizard of OZ and is a prequel to the 1937 movie.

I have often wondered why no one has attempted to do more movies based on this series.

The Wizard of Oz was based on the books but loosely. I read the series as a kid about 35+ years ago now and was confused as to why the movie was different from the books. The series would make a better miniseries than movie franchise but for once Hollywood is covering new ground and in this case is not remaking an old movie.

I hope it is good.

Pick Six
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Wizard of Oz was....*Spoiler alert*...a DREAM. The reason why the characters behaved the way they behaved, was all explained at the end of the movie. THERE'S NO BACKSTORY TO TELL. Yeah, I'll pass...

Beantown Bronco
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Wizard of Oz was....*Spoiler alert*...a DREAM. The reason why the characters behaved the way they behaved, was all explained at the end of the movie. THERE'S NO BACKSTORY TO TELL. Yeah, I'll pass...

Wrong. The movie was based off of a series a books and in the books, it was not a dream. Oz was real.

The movie broke from the original source material with that little nugget.

Kaylore
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Oz wasn't a dream. It may have been a subconscious satire on the political and economic climate of the beginning of the 20th century, though.

BigPlayShay
07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Pink Floyd reuniting to do the score?

houghtam
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM

LOL you look dumb.

Chris
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I didn't sleep in my own bed until I was 7 because of the witch. Yes, pathetic I know.

I'm not a big Franco fan but I'll go see it.

By doing the visuals you mean production design of FX? If production design, HR Giger?

ozomulsion
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
This is a thread about me right?

Marshall Dumervil
07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/a-hump-dar-25.jpg