PDA

View Full Version : Turning into a kid again...

Taco John
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
So I'm in the checkout at the store picking up some stuff for a camping trip I'm taking. As usual, I'm checking out all the little gadgets and mints and stuff they try to sell you on your way out the door. I usually pick up wintergreen Altoids for my little girl who is addicted to them like crack cocaine. Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was.

I bought it. Didn't land a Peyton Manning, but I did nab a Champ Bailey and a Von Miller, so I consider it a win. But the problem is, I'm having gamblers shock right now. I know that If I buy another pack, I've got a good shot. If I buy two packs, I'm looking close to 50/50.

This is going to be a fun season. :yayaya:

OBF1
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
This is how it all starts.... JUNKIE

Kaylore
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't blame you. I have never collected that kind of stuff real seriously. However I do understand the significance considering what's coming.

This season will be historic. It might be good, bad, average, whatever - it will be historic any way it goes. I want to really enjoy it.

GoHAM
07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
... Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was...

Totally took me back to 1985/1986 riding my Huffy BMX Lightning bike down to Silver's Drug Store every time I had $1.00 in my pocket. Buying 2 packs of Topps Football cards ( the ones with the green border and white yard markers around the outside) you know, the ones with the hard, stale stick of bubblegum. I'd buy 2-3 or however many I could afford and ride across the intersection to The Green. I'd find the nearest unoccupied bench or picnic table and rip open the first pack. I'd stuff the hard stick of bubble gum and index through the pack. Total crack high if I got a Bronco, yet oddly disappointed if the player was pictured in the white away jersey. Always hoped for an Elway but never got one that year. Did get a Bo Jackson Rookie card w/ the Raiders.

Man those are some good memories. Help Mrs. Davies next door raking the leaves and earn $2 for a good 2 hours of work, feeling like the king of the world! Just knowing you have essentially 4 unopened packs of Topps Football cards in your pocket. Magical.

GoHAM
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Also, I'm so glad I have season tickets to witness this memorable season (the only redeeming quality of McKid, his ineptitude cut down my season ticket waiting time by 5 years).

SouthStndJunkie
07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
As you get older, anything you can do to rekindle the feelings of childhood should be embraced.

Life gets more hectic and serious as you get older, so it's good to find things that make you feel like a kid again.

When I was kid, I was a baseball and football card junkie and would spend any money I had on cards.

Getting together with your buds to trade cards and try and complete sets was a blast. The rush of opening a pack and getting that hot rookie or players from your team was a rush.

I still collected cards into the late 90s, but by that time, I concentrated on trying to collect every John Elway card made, which was easy in the early days, but by the mid 90s there were so many companies, insert cards, jersey cards, autographed cards etc....that is was impossible to collect them all.

I still have my entire collection, but haven't really looked at them in years.

I bet I have 400 different John Elway cards in albums. I have about 1/3 of a spare room filled to the ceiling with cards.

My most valuable cards are locked up in a safe to keep them from being stolen or damaged.

Mostly baseball and football, but some basketball as well. I was lucky enough to be in a test market when the 1986-1987 Fleer basketball cards were introduced and have a lot of rookie cards, including some Michael Jordan rookies that are worth quite a bit of money. They hadn't made basketball cards for a few years when that set was released, so it was the rookie card for a lot of players.

My John Elway collection is pretty awesome, but the influx of companies and insert cards diluted the market and kind of ruined the nostalgia for me.

If I got back into collecting, I would try and complete all the Denver Broncos card sets from 1960 to the early 90s or mid 90s before the market was saturated.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I know what you mean. Just one more Matt Cassel card and I can complete my voodoo shrine. Then The Ritual will begin.

SouthStndJunkie
07-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I know what you mean. Just one more Matt Cassel card and I can complete my voodoo shrine. Then The Ritual will begin.

I don't have any Matt Cassel cards, but I've got more Bill Kenney cards than Dwayne Bowe has dropped passes.

driver
07-13-2012, 02:41 AM

So?
Bob, you're going to start sticking pins in you're Cassel card?:approve:

Vegas_Bronco
07-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Totally took me back to 1985/1986 riding my Huffy BMX Lightning bike down to Silver's Drug Store every time I had $1.00 in my pocket. Buying 2 packs of Topps Football cards ( the ones with the green border and white yard markers around the outside) you know, the ones with the hard, stale stick of bubblegum. I'd buy 2-3 or however many I could afford and ride across the intersection to The Green. I'd find the nearest unoccupied bench or picnic table and rip open the first pack. I'd stuff the hard stick of bubble gum and index through the pack. Total crack high if I got a Bronco, yet oddly disappointed if the player was pictured in the white away jersey. Always hoped for an Elway. but never got one that year. Did get a Bo Jackson Rookie card w/ the Raiders.

Man those are some good memories. Help Mrs. Davies next door raking the leaves and earn $2 for a good 2 hours of work, feeling like the king of the world! Just knowing you have essentially 4 unopened packs of Topps Football cards in your pocket. Magical.

I went to california that summer and nike just released the BO KNOWS tee shirts...I was the coolest kid in school for about a week.

I think these cards were dispersed in regions...I had 6 Jerry Rice RCs and could never land that damn Bo Jackson. Awesome times.

Vegas_Bronco
07-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Go back TJ...but you cant buy more than 2 packs at a time. Go back. Way back...worth every penny and will definitely make the wife either roll her eyes or laugh which is an added bonus.

Ray Finkle
07-13-2012, 05:43 AM
So I'm in the checkout at the store picking up some stuff for a camping trip I'm taking. As usual, I'm checking out all the little gadgets and mints and stuff they try to sell you on your way out the door. I usually pick up wintergreen Altoids for my little girl who is addicted to them like crack cocaine. Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was.

I bought it. Didn't land a Peyton Manning, but I did nab a Champ Bailey and a Von Miller, so I consider it a win. But the problem is, I'm having gamblers shock right now. I know that If I buy another pack, I've got a good shot. If I buy two packs, I'm looking close to 50/50.

I'm going to blame you when I now buy a pack :D

TheChamp24
07-13-2012, 05:50 AM
As you get older, anything you can do to rekindle the feelings of childhood should be embraced.

Life gets more hectic and serious as you get older, so it's good to find things that make you feel like a kid again.

When I was kid, I was a baseball and football card junkie and would spend any money I had on cards.

Getting together with your buds to trade cards and try and complete sets was a blast. The rush of opening a pack and getting that hot rookie or players from your team was a rush.

I still collected cards into the late 90s, but by that time, I concentrated on trying to collect every John Elway card made, which was easy in the early days, but by the mid 90s there were so many companies, insert cards, jersey cards, autographed cards etc....that is was impossible to collect them all.

I still have my entire collection, but haven't really looked at them in years.

I bet I have 400 different John Elway cards in albums. I have about 1/3 of a spare room filled to the ceiling with cards.

My most valuable cards are locked up in a safe to keep them from being stolen or damaged.

Mostly baseball and football, but some basketball as well. I was lucky enough to be in a test market when the 1986-1987 Fleer basketball cards were introduced and have a lot of rookie cards, including some Michael Jordan rookies that are worth quite a bit of money. They hadn't made basketball cards for a few years when that set was released, so it was the rookie card for a lot of players.

My John Elway collection is pretty awesome, but the influx of companies and insert cards diluted the market and kind of ruined the nostalgia for me.

If I got back into collecting, I would try and complete all the Denver Broncos card sets from 1960 to the early 90s or mid 90s before the market was saturated.

High words of advice my baseball and Bronco friend, send those Jordan RC's to get professionally graded by PSA or BGS. If they grade out as 9.5's, thats $4,000+ in value per EACH rookie card.

I'm a card collector, but collecting now a days is no way near what it was 15+ years ago.
Now, there are boxes with 1 pack, 8-9 cards in the pack, that cost $400 or more. Now its all about autographs and sweet looking patch cards than it is building a complete set of Topps or whatever.

Back in 1999, I started to collect Champ Bailey, and its a thrill trying to obtain new cards of his. I'm currently looking at getting a patch/auto'd card of him in a Broncos uniform.

Also, retail packs are a bad way to go. Find a card shop and get packs/boxes there.

Requiem
07-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Awesome, TJ.

In April, my dad surprised me by letting me open boxes filled with all the cards I had. I thought they had got ruined or lost years ago, but I have pages, upon pages of Broncos cards, Ken Griffey Jr., and a lot of other of my favorite players. Also have a bunch of sports plaques. It's nice to get to relive the past. I'm going to go and visit my pops on Sunday and take another look.

Taco John
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Go back TJ...but you cant buy more than 2 packs at a time. Go back. Way back...worth every penny and will definitely make the wife either roll her eyes or laugh which is an added bonus.

I like the cut of your jib.

Natedogg
07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
In the first pack I ever bought I got a Vance Johnson. 89 Topps I believe.

ol#7
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
TJ, it sounds like you need a cold shower.

bronco militia
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't have any Matt Cassel cards, but I've got more Bill Kenney cards than Dwayne Bowe has dropped passes.

that's a **** ton of drops errrrrr worthless cards :~ohyah!:

ludo21
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
i have never understood the $ value on cards, who pays for them and why would someone pay big money for a card?

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
High words of advice my baseball and Bronco friend, send those Jordan RC's to get professionally graded by PSA or BGS. If they grade out as 9.5's, thats $4,000+ in value per EACH rookie card.

I'm a card collector, but collecting now a days is no way near what it was 15+ years ago.
Now, there are boxes with 1 pack, 8-9 cards in the pack, that cost $400 or more. Now its all about autographs and sweet looking patch cards than it is building a complete set of Topps or whatever.

Back in 1999, I started to collect Champ Bailey, and its a thrill trying to obtain new cards of his. I'm currently looking at getting a patch/auto'd card of him in a Broncos uniform.

Also, retail packs are a bad way to go. Find a card shop and get packs/boxes there.

I got 2 MJ rookies in a pack once. Back then my grandfather told me to buy the basketball cards cause they made far less of them than other sports cards. Also had a barry bonds addiction. Would swipe up any card he had back then. Still remember a card shop owner tell me bonds would never be good, much less steal 30 bases 30 homers in one season. Then at the height of his career before the steroid allegations, I sold most of them for lots of cash.

Smiling Assassin27
07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Walk away, TJ. Maybe we should set the intervention date now.

broncosteven
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I used to get a 3 pack of Topps back around 1975-79ish a couple times a month if I had any pocket money. I liked the see through 3 pack's because you got more cards and gum and you could see at least 3 of the cards and if you played with the package you might get a glimpse of a couple more. I wanted an Alzado card real bad for the longest time then ended up getting one when he was a raider and threw it out.

I kept getting a bunch of Bob Thomas's cards and ended up having to toss out like 10 of them one year because I needed the room, then about 5 years ago I ended up working at the same place his son worked and kicked myself for tossing all those out. I still had 5 left so I gave Bob one, had his son keep one, his son had Bob sign the others so I gave one to a co-worker, I kept one that he signed to me as John's dad which is very cool and I gave my brother one. Funny how fate works out. The one he signed to me is framed on my desk.

RhymesayersDU
07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
i have never understood the $ value on cards, who pays for them and why would someone pay big money for a card?

You could say that about sports memorabilia or classic cars or artwork or anything, really.

ludo21
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
You could say that about sports memorabilia or classic cars or artwork or anything, really.

i feel that way about all of that... but i would drive the crap out of a classic car if i had it :giggle:

Smiling Assassin27
07-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I used to get a 3 pack of Topps back around 1975-79ish a couple times a month if I had any pocket money. I liked the see through 3 pack's because you got more cards and gum and you could see at least 3 of the cards and if you played with the package you might get a glimpse of a couple more. I wanted an Alzado card real bad for the longest time then ended up getting one when he was a raider and threw it out.

I kept getting a bunch of Bob Thomas's cards and ended up having to toss out like 10 of them one year because I needed the room, then about 5 years ago I ended up working at the same place his son worked and kicked myself for tossing all those out. I still had 5 left so I gave Bob one, had his son keep one, his son had Bob sign the others so I gave one to a co-worker, I kept one that he signed to me as John's dad which is very cool and I gave my brother one. Funny how fate works out. The one he signed to me is framed on my desk.

Heh, that's classic. I seemed to get a friggin' Neil Lomax in every pack I bought from 1981 forward. :giggle:

TheChamp24
07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I got 2 MJ rookies in a pack once. Back then my grandfather told me to buy the basketball cards cause they made far less of them than other sports cards. Also had a barry bonds addiction. Would swipe up any card he had back then. Still remember a card shop owner tell me bonds would never be good, much less steal 30 bases 30 homers in one season. Then at the height of his career before the steroid allegations, I sold most of them for lots of cash.

Whats funny is back in the day, I was told that Fleer was practically giving away boxes of cards of that 1986-87 Fleer set with MJ's RC in it.. Nobody wanted it back then. Now, its like the holy grail of boxes for basketball collectors.

What is crazy to me, is a rookie card of Trent Richardson will sell more than a rookie card of Emmitt Smith.

A lot of people don't realize but in the 1980's and 1990's, card companies overproduced the crap out of sports cards, making those years cards almost worthless.

broncosteven
07-13-2012, 06:39 PM

A lot of people don't realize but in the 1980's and 1990's, card companies overproduced the crap out of sports cards, making those years cards almost worthless.

They shot themselves in the foot. They all flooded the market with tons of cards and ensured that there would be no collector market 10 years down the road.

I liked the idea of the game worn patches but the card companies just printed way too many cards to make it any kind of a challenge to collect.

Plus the main reason collecting became so big in the 80's to being with was because kids (or their moms) threw out their old collections after hitting puberty and moving out of the house. Once they got older and had some money they wanted to have what they had, or couldn't afford to have, as kids. Because so many people tossed their cards there were less cards from the older era's which created demand and drove up prices.

I think you can still find cards worth money but for the most part the prices are down for all but the very old and very rare cards which will always be worth a lot of money.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-13-2012, 07:38 PM
What is crazy to me, is a rookie card of Trent Richardson will sell more than a rookie card of Emmitt Smith.

exactly! Millions of those cards being produced devalued them. Then they started making special cards in sets that were not produced as much as the rest. I remember seeing pro set boxes all the time. The Barry sanders rookie card was worth less cause they made so many of them. I think I still have unopened boxes in my parents attic.

errand
07-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Bill Kenney...now there's a blast from the past. He was a Mr. Irrelevant too. Didn't he make the pro bowl one season?

Bacchus
07-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I have more than 1,000 John Elway cards. I have probably 20 of his rookie cards with different grades. Do not know what i am going to do with them besides them collecting dust.

errand
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Here's an idea...give me the money you're gonna spend on the cards...I'll give you half of it back. We'll both be better off.